Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 05:00:18 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 97843 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier
Reply #350 - 03/22/18 at 05:55:47

Try some Flash In The Pan, by Friedemann for a similar experience with just mind-bending imaging and density.  

This amplifier has turned my listening room into a swimming pool where you swim in the music. Before this amplifier I did not realize such a thing was possible.  It's a dimensional shift in fidelity which deserves the best execution possible. If a typical audiophile who had spent 50 grand on his stereo would have instead purchased this amp and speakers and another 10K on a building in the back yard or dedicated listening room in the basement, the end result would have been a space ship that can time travel... which is priceless.

If I could win the lotto (which I don't play), so that I no longer had to work, I would hire lots of people and disappear in the listening room for months on end... actually for eternity if possible.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #351 - 03/22/18 at 06:25:29

Look at the time stamp of this message and the last message... 30 minutes have passed and only less than 2 minutes of the song I'm listening to have passed.  Explain this.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #352 - 03/22/18 at 11:47:49

Going to be a great looking amp! Thanks for keeping us posted. . . the pics are excellent.

Really looking forward to the Monoblocks!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #353 - 03/22/18 at 14:33:01

Steve, the amp is looking real nice. Looking at the color of the top plate I was trying to figure out what wooden base would look good with it. I am not a fan of painted wood but I am thinking Madagascar ebony might look real nice with that top plate. Can't wait to see it all together and some wiring pics.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #354 - 03/22/18 at 18:25:14

Steve,

what speakers are you using - primarily - when listening to the 25th anniversary amp?

* forgive me if this is already noted somewhere and I missed it

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 03/22/18 at 22:03:09

maddog07 wrote on 03/22/18 at 18:25:14:
Steve,

what speakers are you using - primarily - when listening to the 25th anniversary amp?

* forgive me if this is already noted somewhere and I missed it

I believe he is/was primarily using a new version of the DNA Horns that are not available yet.  Also had great results with Randy's open baffles.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #356 - 03/22/18 at 22:44:56

Steve's current reference speakers are a pair of 1966 RCA speakers that came with a turntable.
3" driver with genuine pressed wood construction.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 03/23/18 at 02:11:47

So the benefits of the 25th anniversary design will only be experienced in a properly treated dedicated listening room? Wife and 2 year old over here make that a no-go.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #358 - 03/23/18 at 12:18:35

I really doubt the benefits can only be heard in a treated room.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
akmike
Verified Member

Reply #359 - 03/23/18 at 17:10:42

How would this amp work with Martin-Logan CLX's. I have been using a Sophia Baby with acceptable results.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #360 - 03/23/18 at 17:28:43

Don't have any experience with these but looking at the specs and the fact that ML recommends 20 amps per channel minimum I'd say the Zen would not drive them to loud levels. . .

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #361 - 03/23/18 at 18:37:21

Quote:
So the benefits of the 25th anniversary design will only be experienced in a properly treated dedicated listening room? Wife and 2 year old over here make that a no-go.....

I was wondering the same thing -- at least as far as a serious upgrade to other Decware amps.  In the "EGG" thread Steve seemed to indicate the same thing with respect to a treated room.  I don't doubt that the 25th anniversary amp will be special but I try to read between the lines and keep some perspective.  Steve's enthusiasm can outrun my aural discrimination and my listening environment.   Undecided

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #362 - 03/23/18 at 19:02:21

Agree. . . but. . . we have Joe and Randy and Eric who have reported hearing them with great reports and Joe was "SHOCKED." I'm expecting great sound.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #363 - 03/24/18 at 01:05:51

In my world the sound of amplifiers are judged on two things:  How they sound and how they image.  

The later is largely overlooked by most audiophiles because they do not have the luxury of pulling their speakers out away from the walls and creating a room where the stereo is the focus of the room ~ not an accessory in the room.  

I blame this two things: Overtaxation and ignorance. The first is self explanatory, the second simply comes from not realizing what is truly possible with respect to imaging and sound stage. You have to experience it first to really know.  

I do not consider great left to right placement imaging. A TV set can do that. Imaging is the perception of sounds in a 3D space defined by it's width, height and depth.  

Now even against a wall a pair of speakers on a good amp will have a certain degree of imaging, but it's really no different than video in so much as it's mostly 2D.  

I have made certainly one of the world's very best 3D amplifiers and most people will experience it in 2D.  For this reason some of magic of this amp will never be appreciated or experienced which led me to conclude that because of the price increase over a SE84UFO2 it may not make a lot of sense for those who can't match it with appropriate speakers or a room where you can pull the speakers out away from the wall by several feet.

We have a solution for those of you who are bumming because your room doesn't "qualify".  It's called the Betsy Baffle and it can be pulled out and placed well into ANY room because they are small and light weight with handles.  THEY will create the sound stage and 3D experience I am talking about but sadly those who have never experienced them find it too big a leap of faith to try them, which is why they didn't bother to watch the video on that page.  I would however recommend Randy's new baffles with the dual drivers or have him set you up with a passive subwoofers that the Zen can also drive.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/Caintuck.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #364 - 03/24/18 at 01:24:58

Quote:
Overtaxation

Huh?   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #365 - 03/24/18 at 02:02:32

Overtaxation - if we all had more money we'd probably have more options in the way of a listening room or at least bigger rooms!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #366 - 03/24/18 at 04:25:47

By my last posts you can see I'm applying some pressure to optimize the room and speakers because I can promise you the amp deserves it and anyone who overcomes that obstacle will be greatly rewarded by experiencing the exact sound I described in my posts and find out those posts were not only enthusiastic but completely factual.

Hopefully this will nudge those who can.  For those who can't I am completely at peace with it if you want to purchase the amp because while imaging ability can distinguish the best from a group of great amplifiers, the actual sound of the amplifier is at least four times more important.  In this particular amplifier I suspect what separates it from the pack will be clearly heard in almost any space IF it's fed with a good recording from a good source component and interconnect cable.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #367 - 03/24/18 at 14:42:03

Steve: overtaxation, ignorance and a third thing: family/spousal concerns. I have had a rooms where the stereo was the focus, and then I got married. . . this happened to me twice. Sure, I guess if I could make more money or keep all my money and not pay taxes I could have a dedicated listening room again but to be honest music is a part of my life and not a separate thing--I love music in my living area and to live with music, a separate room was never quite right for me.

I know I'm not alone in being challenged this way. I do get some 3D effects from these amps . . . I know that I could get more with a better setup but I'm not likely ever to have a better set up and the SOUND of these amps and what imaging I get are so spectacular that I have to experience this new "version" . . . and I will.

I think we should get together a little fund to help Juan/busterfree get a pair of the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks as he has one of the last pair PRE the Anniversary option. He could then make a DIRECT comparison between the two. Steve can and he could. . . .

I don't personally think a treated dedicated room is a prerequisite to enjoy the wonderful nature of this 25th Anniversary series. I'll find out soon.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #368 - 03/24/18 at 18:01:45

Over taxation ... well yeah, I didn't think you were stating such an obvious!  But living in the world as I find it, including my living room, I'm down with everything Lon said in his last post.  However, should I scratch my itch for a Zen amp, I'd definitely get the anniversary model.  The future is never known and a dedicated listening space is always a possibility.  In the meantime, sound is King!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #369 - 03/24/18 at 18:43:26

I am currently waiting for another round of binding posts to show up so I can make a final choice and I am waiting for another gold plating set up to arrive so I can make sure all the gold matches.

Will be doing the anniversary mod on four more SE84UFO3's next week so hopefully after that we can complete the build on the new Anniversary amp!

Today for my first official weekend of Spring I am enjoying a snow blizzard which has forced me to stay inside and listen to the amplifier all day. I know I've mentioned it in the past, but the sound I'm getting right now is 98% as good as what I get around midnight! It is so wonderful to be able to get this sound during the day. It teaches me two things. First that my theory that part of the problem was radiation from the sun and the other part is dirty power was wrong. Second, that the Zen's new power supply is getting superior results compared to a stock Zen plugged into a 5K power regenerator.  

As solely the result of this amplifier, my serious listening time will at least double and no longer at the expense of sleep. This drops the price of the ownership in half since I'll be listening to it twice as much. (Cost of Amp divided by hours used).  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #370 - 03/24/18 at 18:48:18

While there was never any question that dirty power effects sound quality, I always thought that surely part of the magic must also be having the entire planet between you and the sun.  What I'm hearing now would suggest the sun's radiation has little or nothing to do with it.

Sun = Nature.   Dirty Power = Man.   Should have seen that one coming!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #371 - 03/24/18 at 18:56:14

Quote:
This drops the price of the ownership in half since I'll be listening to it twice as much. (Cost of Amp divided by hours used).  

Remember to add back in the cost of the extra electricity and tubes to run the amp twice as long!  Also the loss of income!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #372 - 03/24/18 at 19:26:53

I'm curious how the 25th plays with the ERRx's, which could help some if the room is < ideal.

I have a nice synergy with the SuperZen and ERRx speakers that I stumbled upon recently (older Oppo source w/Decware & Audience cables).  I'm actually afraid to change anything it sounds so good...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #373 - 03/24/18 at 19:30:41

Dave, if the SuperZen and the ERRx are coupling well, I can imagine the SE84UFO2-25 would be as good a fit. . . . Don't see why they wouldn't be dissimilar in power output/speaker driving.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #374 - 03/24/18 at 20:58:33

Lon...the surprising thing, assuming my ears aren't deceiving me, is that the upside potential seems large.  For example, I have beautiful sound right now, in the middle of the day, using the stock power cord to the amp, and no PSA power regeneration.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #375 - 03/24/18 at 21:35:26

Cool. There are so many ways to skin an audio system. And so much is subjective. Enjoy.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #376 - 03/25/18 at 00:31:50

Quote:
I think we should get together a little fund to help Juan/busterfree get a pair of the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks as he has one of the last pair PRE the Anniversary option. He could then make a DIRECT comparison between the two. Steve can and he could. . .

My SE84UFO3 went back to their birthplace for an upgrade. I could not justify a second set of monos, but I thought about it. I only have one “music room”. The TV system does not count and is well served by the CSP3 & SE84UFO2.

I got over my fears of shipping the amps back in part by using the original shipping materials. If the carrier played kickball with my boxes, at least they would arrive at a place to get right.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #377 - 03/25/18 at 00:47:29

Quote:
Remember to add back in the cost of the extra electricity and tubes to run the amp twice as long!  Also the loss of income!   Grin

Should be easily offset by needing less pharmaceuticals : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #378 - 03/25/18 at 02:37:42

Great Juan! Now we know where two of the four amps Steve was talking about are going! I'm eager to hear comparisons, though probably not quite as eager as you are!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #379 - 03/25/18 at 18:30:11

Quote:
Should be easily offset by needing less pharmaceuticals : )

Touche!   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #380 - 03/25/18 at 19:02:18

Lately, I have been thinking that pharmaceuticals might be a necessity rather than an option while anticipating the arrival of new Decware pieces!!!!!  8-)

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #381 - 03/26/18 at 16:42:35

I sure don't remember if I asked this already or if I even read a response, but is there the option of an upgrade of SE84UFO to the 25th Year Anniversary model, or is the upgrade possible only for the monoblocks?  If the former, what would be the cost around?

Thanks,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #382 - 03/26/18 at 17:15:19

Alper, so far it appears that Steve is working on production models and the pricing of a 25th Anniversary edition of the SE84UFO2. . .and has completed and priced the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks which can be ordered and built now. But so far there is no news of a 25th Anniversary SE84UFO.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #383 - 03/26/18 at 17:22:06

Thanks Lon...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #384 - 03/27/18 at 08:44:51

Only the Monoblocks can be upgraded. The one-chassis Zen can’t fit the upgrades.
I have the Monoblocks but I’m on the fence about upgrading. As an additional cost I have to pay for shipping from Norway.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #385 - 03/27/18 at 18:05:49

So, I've been busy with work, life, health issues...fun stuff.  But I never really got a chance to post about my visit to Decware a few weeks ago, and listening to the 25th Anniversary prototype.

First off, for those that don't know (long story short), I have an original Zen amp from 1998, I think I'm serial number 47 or something. I wasn't fully happy with it and brought it to Steve to "do whatever he wanted", since he knows me well enough what I like. It seemed a serendipitous nudge, as my early Zen Amp reminded Steve of how things started, and he was able to meld 25 years of knowledge into my old amp and bring it up to date.  After the sticker shock of the upgrade (I did tell him to do whatever) I settled down to listen to the amp and it is really something special.  I'm currently listening on a pair of 91db "El Camino" speakers, and I also have a pair of MG-944 speakers that I haven't used for a few months.

So I stopped into Decware to return the Tape Tour kit since the VHS deck died, and I said to Steve...so...can I hear it?? (nodding towards the listening room and the 25th Anniversary prototype).

Now, my past few visits to check something out Steve was working on...well, I didn't like what I heard and I said something. Steve's always told me to trust my gut, and if I hear something that sounds off, say something.

So Steve warmed up the amp, and I sat down for a listen. It immediately sounded like my amp...like *just* like my amp, but I wasn't as drawn in as I am with my little Zen. I thought it was the music so I hopped on his computer and dialed up a couple tunes. Nope still the same. It was driving me nuts, it was so close, but not quite right. So I spent like 5 minutes rambling in circles trying to describe what I was hearing and explain to Steve in hopes he would figure it out. As I'm rambling he casually in his slow and thoughtful way starts walking around the shop, moving stuff around picking up tubes, putting them down again and nodding on occasion. Finally he finds what he's looking for, walks over to the prototype and swaps a regulator tube.

I resume my position on the comfy couch, cuddling with the cat, and the music starts. Then holy hell, it was like my amp, plus, plus, plus. It was so fast/sharp that it felt like I went from a half-step removed from the music to pressed right up against the squeaky clean glass. By comparison it was maybe too much, to fast, too....I kind of likened it to when you have a transistor amp that measures .000001% perfect in everything - it's amazing, but sharp to the point of being lifeless.  

It was a weird experience - Steve explained it that when you change the regulator tube, it changes the voltage, and we went from dreamy soft/slow to max voltage hardness/speed. He seemed to like the really dreamy sound, but to me while it did make things comfey and smooth out rough edges, I felt it was not as engaging as my amp. Then the other end of the spectrum was like having the speaker wires connected directly to my brain...it was just a bit too much.  We kind of laughed at this and decided a regulator tube in the middle of the two would probably be perfect for my listening style.

So now, not only can we voice the amp with the tubes, but with the regulator tube we can voice the *speed* of the amp! This is just flat out amazing to me, and not subtle mind you.

Now, this is completely my speculation/opinion after spending many, many hours with my modded pre-prototype Zen, then spending maybe an hour with the prototype Anniversary Zen (I hear in my head calling it Anni); I believe that 90% of the sound is the voicing Steve has done with the UFO transformers and speed adjustment by reworking the power supply, as well as the kick ass caps in the amp. I felt that the prototype has the same sound-DNA as mine, which pleases me greatly as I truly believe it's the pinnacle of this amps voicing. That last 10% is what the regulator tubes bring in cleaning the power and making the amp sound more DC battery like vs 120v hash. Add to that you can dial in the speed of the Anniversary amp and maybe it's an 80%/20% thing - but still, I didn't feel like my amp was lacking and I needed to sell everything to get the 25th Zen. To me, that means he's got it right!

Thinking a little more about this as I'm typing it all out - it reminds me of when I first got the PS Audio P-10 Power plant. When I put my Mystery Amp on it, I was like...meh, maybe I hear a 2-3% improvement...maybe. But then I put my little Zen amp on it and I'm like damn! That's quite an improvement!  So maybe my P-10 is helping me bridge the gap between mine and the 25th and the regulator tubes. But you all don't have to spend an *Extra* $5500 and get even more filtering and versatility baked into the amp!!

So yeah, I'm very pleased with what I heard. It sounds like my amp and then some. If you are considering purchasing the 25th and it fits what you need - I wholeheartedly say go for it, you will be very pleased.

~Eric~
AKA
The Lonely Raven

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #386 - 03/27/18 at 18:28:26

Thanks for the report Eric. Don't you find that changing the rectifier tube in your revamped amp accomplishes the same thing? In my Taboo Mk IV (UFO transformers) I accomplish very similar "presentations" just rolling the rectifier. I'm probably more like Steve, into the dreamy sound, and am looking forward to hearing my 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3s that have been built. I'm being patient and getting ready. . . .

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #387 - 03/28/18 at 05:12:06

Another update in this ongoing diary of the Zen Triode amplifier...

I just finished the anniversary mod on a set of SE84UFO3 amplifiers and am listening to them as I write this.  All I can say is that tonight's realization is that the shock of what you hear is never going to wear off.  It's the first time you've heard the amp each time you listen to it. It's a clunky way of saying that you will never get used to it. Spoiled by it...yes... used to it no.  

With this being I think the 3rd set of these I've done and spent time with I have to say I'm getting inspired.  Maybe someday we can have a pair of 25th anniversary monos in a designed from scratch chassis like the SE84UFO25.

Waiting for damn parts is maddening.  Especially when they are a week late and then you find out the order was stalled out in cyberspace.  It's probably another signal.  The mass sampling of binding posts I'm accumulating just aren't bringing anything to the table that is making me want to change from what we've always used with the exception of the gold plating.  The nice thing about doing your own plating is that you can make the plating so thick that it would well surpass anything that is being mass produced.  The difference in a dipping time of 30 seconds and 33 seconds over the cost of a run to a large company is hugely significant. Getting equipment that can regulate the time tightly is essential for production.  In my shop, I can dip the damn part for 5 minutes if I feel like it. This way I can use 24K gold instead of alloys.  

Trying to type this post while the amps are playing is just about as difficult as standing upright in a hurricane. The depth is intoxicating. I keep getting sucked to the sweet spot. BTW, I am using a pair of 6N5P input tubes to test these mono's which I frequently do. Fact is, I think unless you go NOS 7DJ8, a good testing 6N5P is going to be hard to beat.  It sounds like a 6N1P with twice the resolution. ZERO edge or dryness or strain. Neutral texture. Dimensionality is probably better.  It's a great tube.

Tomorrow I will be taking Lon's freshly built SE84UFO3's and doing the same mod on them as was done on these I'm listening to tonight. On those I have to figure out a way to install a treble control without choking the chicken...  I've never put a treble control on one of our SET amplifiers before, only the pentode designs, so it will be an interesting journey through the hyper-belt while trying not to get smashed by a meteor. Don't worry I'm a skilled pilot but the ship may need paint work before we get to goal.

The music from these amplifiers is so compelling. I'm pretty sure that if you want to reproduce it exactly, the main ingredients are going to be A) a good DAC with balanced XLR outputs. B) a ZBIT balanced XLR to RCA transformer to go between the amplifier and DAC. This will insure the imaging and the animation which is so essential. C) a pair of 94dB or higher speakers that have a full sounding bass which is to say no active subwoofers. Passive subs are welcome because they are driven by the same amplifier.

That brings me to a point about this amplifier. There is nothing the amp would like better than to drive a pair of 15 or 18 inch low frequency drivers in parallel with a nice set of full range crossoverless speakers that don't have an abundance of base on their own. You would think .... OHHH GOD, the amp will die trying to drive a pair or even four 18 inch subs at the same time as the main speakers... it will be a disaster.  The reality is that because the 4 18 inch drivers cover the bottom octave from 20 Hz to 40 Hz that the full range speaker does not, the music (energy) has a place to go, and it does. Without those 18 inch base drivers that energy reflects back to the amplifier because it had now where to manifest. This blocks power.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #388 - 03/28/18 at 13:14:48

Thanks for more information and impressions Steve. Hope my request for a Treble Cut Circuit doesn't create too much of a hassle for you! I love that Circuit and know it will be very useful for me. The only thing that my Taboo Mk IV lacks is this circuit, I am enjoying it without it but if it had it I would have another layer of "tailoring" to explore.

Due to your mention (and others' mentions) of the 6N5P tubes I bought 8 of them and for the first time today I have replaced the 6 6N1P in the ZTPRE with 6 6N5P. So far they sound quite nice, a lot like the Phillips ECC189 I used for a while but with a bit more lower punch. Which is a compliment! I think I'll enjoy these. (I'm using a GE 6DJ8 very successfully in the Taboo, one of these that has a black coating inside the glass).

Edit to add: I replaced the RCA coke bottle type Type 80 rectifier with the Arcturus (Sylvania?) Type 80 rectifier and wow more low-end heft. . . Nice!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #389 - 03/28/18 at 15:04:36

Funny you mentioned the Arcturus, Lon. As I was going through my photos of my Decware visit (above), I remembered Steve mentioned the Type 80 tube, and scanned eBay to see what was available, and ordered an Arcturus last night...along with the appropriate adapter of course.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #390 - 03/28/18 at 15:26:48

Very cool Eric! I find the Type 80 a very nice fit for these amps, but then again I always liked the 5Y3 type that it became in these amps. The Arcturus has a nice warm signature and interesting 'texture."

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #391 - 03/28/18 at 16:36:58

I don't really hear big differences in rectifier tubes on my Zen amp. But then I haven't really played the tube swap game on the little Zen since getting the upgrade - it's just been so tasty since Steve worked on it that I don't want to muck with it!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #392 - 03/28/18 at 17:18:22

Interesting as I hear distinct differences rolling rectifiers in all my Decware components.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 03/28/18 at 21:01:30

lon, ditto.  usually the first tube i roll on my decware gear.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #394 - 03/29/18 at 12:07:41

So many opportunities, and so many questions... Steve’s last has a comment on adding a 15 or 18” base drivers connected in parallel to main speakers. Does this mean still no crossover? What would the result be if these were OB? My mains are HO Omega Alnico drivers. Now maybe down to the 40-45hz area, since close to no help from back wall, placement 120 cm out in the room. Is this a better solution than connecting active subs from the pass through out on the amp? And the third option would be passive subs in a closed box (or maybe even vented box) but the size of an box would maybe be dealkiller in my living room.

IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #395 - 03/29/18 at 15:39:52

Help!

Noob follow up question to Steve’s recent post.  I have been a bit nervous about buying a low powered amp because I was a bit worried about a lack of bass when I am listening to 70’s rock etc.  Steve’s post seemed to address this.   Passive subs.    I have never set up a sub in a two channel system before.  How do you wire in the subs?  I was assuming these amps had two binding posts for the speakers.   Is there a way to wire a sub and a speaker to each binding post?  Please throw a noob a bone on this one.  It may help push me over the hump t actually dive in a get my first decware SET!

Love the forum.  Thanks all!

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #396 - 03/29/18 at 17:12:45

here is one way to do it (pics of dougs settup at bottom)... full range wired in series.. no problem driving them with a 2 watter.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1484158418

i was there... it works very well!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #397 - 03/29/18 at 19:08:25

Ok. Am I seeing it correctly.  Two sets of binding posts on the decware speakers.   One set of wires going from the sub to the decware speakers.  Another set of wires going from the decware speakers to the amp?

Am I seeing that correctly.  

Thanks for the link!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #398 - 03/29/18 at 21:54:19

Don't count on there being two sets of binding posts on anything. Plan on figuring out a way to connect two sets of speaker wires to whatever you have.

What Trips pictures illustrate, is simply that you can run the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers, then bounce off the speakers to your subs.

Don't overthink it - even using budget wire just to test it out and get your system dialed in...then figuring out a more "audiophile" solution if you really think you need it.

Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #399 - 03/30/18 at 02:35:26

I have one active sub hooked up to my Zen amp.  The speaker wires to my main speakers are connected with spades and run full range.  The sub is connected to the same amp binding posts using banana plugs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Send Topic Print