Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:25:09 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 86491 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #250 - 02/01/18 at 05:05:27

Now that the dust has settled from the UFO325 development and I am able to just focus back on enjoying the SE84UFO25, I thought I would post another short update.

For about the past week I have shifted from digital to tape. I am using two machines. One machine is feeding the ZTPRE just like the ZDAC2 so I can get comparisons between the two sources without changing any other variables. The other machine is feeding the amp direct.

My cat has  adopted the role of tape inspector and he now sits on the tape machine and watches the tape go round and round. He takes his job very seriously, which is somewhat amusing as he becomes transfixed by the rotating reels just like I do. You have to realize that for a creature that can sit motionless for hours waiting for a mouse, this is like a day at the races!

Anyway before I got sidetracked on that, the Anniversary Zen is just a complete joy to listen to. I have been going through my tape library and literally hearing all my tapes for the first time. Even better it's resolution has helped me to diagnose and solve problems with certain tapes easily, issues that I have been distracted by for years. So what I am saying is that for years each of my tape machines have had certain issues, like the operator not adjusting things right, that are now easily detected. Another issue is that many tapes are not labeled as to what EQ they use, IEC or NAB and while you can usually tell by ear, there are some tapes that fall into the neutral zone and you waste a lot of time listening to them both ways. Now, the EQ settings are obvious within seconds.

Back to the cat... "Fine, if I can't touch the tape I'm just going to play with the knobs." as he systematically discovers what each one does...

Since making this amp, I feel like my hearing has gotten 100% better because I can hear so clearly and so deliciously deep into the music and of course my hearing has not changed, it is the amplifier. What has changed besides the amplifier, is my music library has finally unmasked itself.  

You would think the balance of recordings you wish were better and recordings you love would change as the dramatic increase in resolution would make the lessor recordings unlistenable.  Just the opposite has actually happened with many of the recordings that fell into the category of "why isn't this better?".  Recordings that dwell heavily into compression that sound more like noise than music, yea, they still suck.

Anyway, it has been a real pleasure to find out that virtually all of my tapes sound twice as good as they did a few months ago!

My favorite set up the past few days has been my Otari tape machine plugged directly into the Anniversary Zen's input jacks. Can't get much simpler than that, and at 10.75 volts into a ZBIT transformer a preamp really isn't needed.

Also, with this direct from the master tape to the amplifier with nothing else, more variables are eliminated so I can wrap my head around the sound of just the amplifier even better than before.

So the takeaway I get from tonight is that the amplifier is so good, it has caused me to re-listen to tapes I had on the sell pile and caused me to put many of them back in the keep pile. Imagine that!

I suspect that between the digital recordings, LP's and tapes, this amp will pay for itself in new music that I own but never thought I liked.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #251 - 02/01/18 at 05:11:08

Quote:
Will the anniversary mod work with a Mini Torii?

That's a good question. Two thoughts come to mind. Not sure there would be room for all the additional caps even it is was possible, and not sure if the original 6V6 bias point would pull to much current or not. Many of the alternate tubs that can be used with the amp would likely no longer be usable.  

Nevertheless it is something that will need to be explored in the coming months.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 02/01/18 at 06:09:31

Steve,

Do you have a price in mind for the upgrade for SE84UFO?  Or a price for the brand new version of it?  Also, when should we expect the release?

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #253 - 02/01/18 at 16:45:40

Steve,

plans for going under the hood of Rachael with the 25th mods?

.....NOS tube rolling never gets old....to hear my favorite Input Tubes, using both halves of the triode driving a EL34, KT88 in your Triode or 6L6G/6PS3-E's.....in Triode is an exciting thought.

.....and the obvious parallel's of running for example/from my matched quads....KT88's & 6PS3-E's in both my ZMA and Rach'. 5.8/channel headroom too (for my Speaker's).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #254 - 02/03/18 at 01:54:43

Some of the technology (for lack of a better term) will find it's way into every applicable opportunity over time, no doubt.

Right now, based on what I know about VR tubes, the only amplifier that qualifies for the full benefit of this technology are amps that use the EL84/SV83/6P15P output tubes. The reason is that these tubes bias at only 25 mA which is the happy zone for a VR tube. EL34's and everything else we use bias between 40~60 mA. Even if it were possible by overheating the VR tube, there would be sag.

Remember, running the entire amplifier from the VR tube slowed the amplifier down which is in part what polishes the liquidity. The bypass caps that were always optional from a design aspect are now required to restore the speed.

Think of it as a car going down the highway. It's speed can very from 40 to 80 mph. Adding the VR tube in the fuel line changed the speed from 10 to 60 mph. The torque nearly doubled however, so the ride became smoother and more exciting at the same time.  To get the top end back the bypass caps are placed all along the fuel path. The final result is that you have a car going down the highway with twice it's normal torque and a speed range from 10 to 160 mph with the most insane throttle response you've ever experienced. It is so sensitive that if an ant crawled across the accelerator pedal you would feel it.

So only the original Zen Triode 2 watt Amplifiers will ever have this technology until I get a lot smarter.

-Steve

P.S.

Been listening to my radio station reel to reel tapes again and they range from 1950-1989 and are primarily but not all, soft rock and country. The reason I went with these formats is because they never use a compressor. As a result of not using a compressor and being recorded on tape originally, the sound quality is at worse equal to a 45 RPM record but most of them were taken directly from tape.

These recordings as it turns out are virtually 90% audiophile grade sound. Most of the classic rock and country we grew up with is this way. I have very little hard rock and metal because those formats could not exist without a compressor. Compressors are what kills sound quality.

Anyway, the point was to say that most of the classic rock we grew up with was actually recorded with audiophile standards and plays back with the same quality as many great jazz or classical recordings.  I couldn't commit 100% to this statement until I started using this amplifier...

SE84UFO25 - Operating at a higher state of consciousness for the sonically aware.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #255 - 02/03/18 at 02:47:25

Listening to a 1991 tape from the tale end of analog radio.  NSC 101, 1991, Week 17

Rodney Crowell - Things I wish I'd Said  

Simply stunning as is pretty much the entire tape. I can't believe how many of these I sold thinking they weren't very good. Mistake.

What a game changer!

This amplifier is magic.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #256 - 02/03/18 at 07:39:01

Got it. I'm good, .... can't go back to lower power.  Take care. ~ S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #257 - 02/03/18 at 13:51:17

I can. I'm actually really enjoying lower power again. I'm going to get one of these new amps one of these days.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #258 - 02/03/18 at 14:57:20

I can as well.  I've lived with Rachael the last year or so.  Even thinking of selling my Torii which I never thought would happen.  If I can part with enough gear I may buy a 25th.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #259 - 02/03/18 at 15:28:30

You know I'm kidding!

Thanks Steve, for putting the EL34 VR in perspective and how the new Amps run.

Lon, as we discussed, I think either/or, will power your HR-1's @ their 92.5 @ 1watt/1 meter.

Me personally, I want UFO3/25 Mono's.  I read you Palomino, what can I sell..... . Not my ZMA.....just want Steve's Pentode's in triode again.....and of course his new cap topology going on here. Never should have sold my SE84CS!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 02/03/18 at 15:42:21

Sorry Stone.  Tuned in late so I missed the humor.

I found Eric's amp plenty loud and nearly comparable to Rachael with my 94 db OBs.  My room is smaller though.

Just reading about the DNA II led to tossing the silver flutes back in last night.  With my adjustment rings I can quickly change drivers now.  Lots
to like about the silver flute sound.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #261 - 02/08/18 at 03:09:33

Will the 25 anniversary amp have an XLR input option?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #262 - 02/09/18 at 01:33:35

There will be no XLR input option on the amplifier itself because there is not enough internal space to accommodate the required transformers.  We will recommend the ZBIT for those running balanced sources or preamps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #263 - 02/09/18 at 01:58:44

I'm excited to keep up with the 25th Anniversary will it be the same foot print as my UFO select and will there be a mod for it?    I also like the idea of a more affordable amp for entry level  
the Kids need a new toy too!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #264 - 02/09/18 at 02:32:02

It is the same footprint yes.  As far as mods for any of the other amplifiers it is way to early to know.  We will be exploring things over the next year or two to see what can be done.  It will never be possible to change any existing Zens into a full anniversary model except for the SE84UFO3's.

We will be in production with the new Anniversary amp sometime this summer and be able to price it then.

The budget zen is going to be an interesting project.  I'm working through several ideas and will be doing some prototypes this summer as well.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #265 - 02/09/18 at 05:53:22

Steve,

I assume you only have one 25th Anniversary Zen built.  I'm curious as to the sound of this amp bridged.  I have to believe others are equally curious.  

Do you foresee an opportunity to have a pair of these on hand to bridge and evaluate the sound product?

The big question for many will be ... anniversary upgraded Zen monoblocks? Or a bridged pair of 25th Anniversary amps for the extra output?  This is assuming high efficiency speakers as a constant.  

With my 97dB Omegas, I can do either.  But if the sound is comparable, I will bridge the stereo amps for the extra output and headroom.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #266 - 02/09/18 at 10:50:25

I am with Jeff on that one.  Unless there can be 16 ohm taps on the 25th monos or even single amp.

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #267 - 02/09/18 at 16:03:40

Well, I was curious about a bridged pair too, but decided that the Monoblocks would suit my needs and ordered a pair today. What the heck. I was obsessing over the choices and decided to go with the SE84UFO3 . . . I'm hoping that a treble cut circuit can be added and I want Type II Jupiter caps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #268 - 02/09/18 at 17:05:30

Awesome Lon!  Exciting stuff.  Ill definitely be anticipating their arrival and am eager to hear how they perform with your HR-1's.  I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those mono's a couple days ago, but with the "bridged" question still lingering, I decided to pull back the reins.  

I am in no real hurry and while the bridged stereo amps will set me back quite a bit more than the monoblocks, I am looking at these to be the end all.  ...at least until the next greatest thing comes along  ;)

There is no doubt that those monoblocks will sound amazing!  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #269 - 02/09/18 at 17:14:40

Yeah Jeff, you know that I won't be quiet about it when it arrives months from now. I think they will work well with the HR-1s. . . they're not that much lower powered than my Taboo Mk IV which works very very well for music with headroom with the HR-1s.

And in the meantime maybe I'll sell a few amps and preamps . . . hope so.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #270 - 02/09/18 at 21:08:18

Very nice Lon. I too, look forward to your impressions come late summer or Fall most likely.

The UFO3's 25th juiced, are my choice as well. However, with two graduations this year and moving.....my budget does not include the Mono's in 2018.

......look out 2019, it's happening! ZMA & these Mono's will be a good problem to have for the rest of my days.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #271 - 02/12/18 at 16:17:02

".......bridged stereo amps will set me back quite a bit more than the monoblocks."

Jeff, ...but as you said above...if this is going to be your end all. Why not?

To steep for me.....however, the Juicy Mono's....and I deleted a post earlier....I am considering the entry level one too. Knowing, it would  drive me crazy....wanting to hear the Mono's....I might buy both and after 6 months to a year....I:

1) can't part with either
2) sell one or the other.

NOTE: ZMA not for sale....I would bury it some where out along the interstate in its Pelican Case/well wrapped further an preserved.......before I would part with it.       Cool

Like you said, no hurry and not in the cards for me in 2018.....alas till 2019....when I settle in to TX and my dedicated Electric Line too. Yeah, I will goofy ground it outside also...drinkin' the Kool-aid!   Roll Eyes

Anyway, ....look forward to more from Steve in due time...about your bridging the Stereo Pair/question....more comparisons of the Mono's and the Stereo unit/single......and of course the Entry Level killer diller.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #272 - 02/12/18 at 17:31:27

Let me rephrase my more comparison's.....thought.

Steve clearly states in reply #571:
"I'm also going to predict that the lower voltage stereo model is going to have a more dreamy sound while the higher voltage monos will have more headroom.

To try to figure out which is actually better is going to be a waste of time because we're into the subtleties of voicing.

My strong advise is to stick with the regular Zens on speakers less than 94dB 1w/1m (unless you listen near field)......."

I listen near field and always have with my Decware in an dedicated Room with Treatment (or as I call it/I'm-just outside near field).

I'm flat out buying the Mono's (UFO325)....and not looking back.
"....which is better, will be a waste of time as Steve mentioned."

Pick:

UFO325
or
SE84UFO25
or.....potentially bridged Stereo x 2 ($$)
or
Budget Zen
with some of the 25th magic.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #273 - 02/12/18 at 18:05:42

I'm looking forward to impressions on the new 25th Anniversary Amps but even more, I'll be watching for some UFO Monos on the used market... Smiley

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #274 - 02/12/18 at 18:09:45

That makes sense to me. . . .You know how good the previous Monos (that you have) are and I know how good the UFO transformers are. . . worth going for.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #275 - 02/12/18 at 18:18:08

I always buy new to support Decware....then have sold.

Mark? You can buy my Mono's!   Grin

UFO325 purchased new by me, Jan/Feb/2019......you never know....late 2019 will come soon enough.... .

Yes, look forward to further words from Steve through this summer and reading others whom have purchased.  .......Lurkinnnnng........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 02/12/18 at 18:35:25

Hey Stone, I don't care who's UFO Monos I buy as long as I get my Price... Smiley

All my Decware gear in the Cave...Torii MK IV, CSP3, ZP3 and HR Ones were purchased new...

All Decware gear in the second system was purchased used except the ZROCK... Zen Signature Monobocks (2008), ZP3 and CSP3.  I just added some used Trapeziums for a future desktop system.

PS...Oops...forgot the Taboo MK III purchased New

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #277 - 02/12/18 at 19:02:49

Good to read Mark. ....and you paid a fair price for the Tubes....or I would not have sold them to you.

Me too/New:
SE84CS, Torii III, SuperZen CKC, CSP3 with Jupiter Caps, Decware PAC-S(ilver) & Zen Styx.
.....and of course New, ZMA & Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder.

+, had in for audition EL34 Mono-blocks, ZR2 & one of Steve's earliest Buffers (and took the re-stock fee/shipping to and from hits). Also, purchased an nice wood case piece from Ziggi, for my SE84CS.
.....Monoliths....were the only used item, for me.

.......here is my order of Listening (keeping each scenario in one to two weeks at a time):

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Mullard pair (Cryo'd) 7308/E188CC ....as inputs/ZMA

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Ediswan pair (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs/ZMA

Audio Research LS-2B/single Plat' Mullard 7308/E188CC (Cryo'd) to Plat' Tungsram pair PCC88/7DJ8 ...inputs/ZMA.

ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Stereo Line Stage Amplifier w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's & 6PS3-E's

ZMA adjusted at  60-80% Gain ~ when ARC Line Stage is in, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are
Also Read.....the lowest noise floor you will ever witness....that a $5180 pair of speaker cables should have....and they do.....(I was fortunate to get them for $2680/Demo pair/mint, from the CableCo....worth every penny/extraordinary realism.....)

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps
...........purchased New/and throttled the Monoliths...and sent them away...

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/6 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE: Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Line Stage and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #278 - 02/12/18 at 21:47:46

UFO325/2019 or Bust!

.....till then.....hey, it is CARNIVAL'!!!!!!!!!!!

FAT TUESDAY TOMORROW.

Okay, my LYFT app is working...gooooood to go!  

CHEERS!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #279 - 02/13/18 at 01:57:40

I've been reading various comments about 16 ohm speakers and thought I would mention that when we went to the UFO output transformers, we set them up with a switch to select between LO and HI impedance speakers.  LO = 2~6 ohms  HI = 6~16 ohms.

As for running the SE84UFO25 in mono, I will have a pair of working amps this summer if someone needs to hear them bridged.  

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #280 - 02/13/18 at 02:24:54

SE84UFO25 UPDATE

This is truly the hardest amplifier to quit listening to I have ever experienced. I am rotating between digital and analog and enjoying either with the same fascination. I actually wake up looking forward to hearing it. These are signs that everything I've stated about the amp are not only true but going to remain that way forever. This is not an amplifier you are going to get tired of unless you pair it with the wrong speakers.

So while we wait for the chassis to be completed here is what the layout and silk screen will look like:

It will be powder coated with this green patina and the silk screen will be white.  Jacks will be silver, meters will be backlit.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #281 - 02/13/18 at 02:30:56

Steve, thanks for the great blogging on the 25th anniversary Zens. It's been a fun read and is definitely wetting my appetite. Can you clarify if the 25th anniversary tech will make its way into some of the other models? I thought I read up-thread that it would only work in the little Zens, but then it looked like you mentioned you would experiment with it in the higher-tier models as well.

The reason I ask is, I'm close to pulling the trigger on an a Torii Jr., but wonder if I should wait for an upgraded model to come out, if that would happen in the next year or so. I'll also mention that I definitely plan on getting a 25th anniversary Zen regardless of whether I get the Torri Jr. now or wait for a potential upgraded model to be released.

AlexR   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #282 - 02/13/18 at 03:38:20

Why not black top plate instead of green and no silk screening as an option?

Any plans for revised top plate for SE84UFO325 instead of “hiding” the glow below the plate?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 02/13/18 at 03:44:20

Input is in the front between bias and 7DJ8? Stepped or smooth volume controls?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #284 - 02/13/18 at 16:47:48

Is there room to fit another diminutive silver switch above (or beside) the bias switch?  I would be ecstatic over the option to flip that "Stereo/Mono" switch to change the wiring of the to RCA inputs to MONO.  

The one thing that continues to irk me is the need to use Y adapter if running them mono.  I know, I know....  one will argue a quality Y-adapter won't diminish. But when you have made a significant investment in your 2 meter interconnects (4-figure price tag), like I certainly have, the idea of adding in 6"-12" of an inferior connection cable with a different design and different metallurgy (even if both silver, or both gold, or whatever else, it won't have the same properties), doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.  

Or, let me pay an option to have just the RCAs wired internally for MONO out of the factory - even if the amp still requires bridging.  The amp layout could remain the same for ease of manufacturing.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #285 - 02/16/18 at 16:21:46

Steve, I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, as i've not had time to be on the forums much and only skimmed the last page.

Is it possible for the VR tubes to share the workload? Instead of one VR tube handling that 25ma, can you parallel them to get 50ma for an EL34 setup?

I know that would be a crapload of tubes on the plate, but if it would make this technology stretch into the EL34 range it might be used in the Rachels and maybe the bigger amps?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #286 - 02/16/18 at 18:45:45

Bingo....give this tech with 5.8 subjectively+/ch triode EL34........

Ohhhh, how sweet thy Rachael will be.

To get rid of the sag....more bypass caps in the fuel line/path?

PS ~ just chillin with a couple BAD WEATHER HOPCROMANCER IPA's. Listening to Dish Network SeriusXM Radio with Decware PAC-S in play....all so good in fleshing it out.....through my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #287 - 02/16/18 at 23:10:31

So, I fired off a message to Mark Markel, owner of Analysis Plus.  After discussing my desire to bridge a pair of stereo amps into mono (25th Anniversary stereo), he came up with a solution I am happy with.  I use their Silver Oval-In interconnect cables throughout my system.  Not wanting to disturb their greatness in any way, he is going to custom build me two Silver Oval-In "Y-cables" to split the R & L interconnects to each pair of stereo input RCAs on the 25th Anniversary amps.  Same material, same construction, just split into two leads at the amp end of the cable.

This I can live with.  Ok, brring 'em on!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #288 - 02/17/18 at 00:20:09

There you go, that was a great solution!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #289 - 02/17/18 at 01:22:00

Sorry guys, it's way to early in the process to even attempt to accurately answer any of these questions beyond what I've already stated in previous posts.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #290 - 02/17/18 at 01:38:44

I will comment that the ZMA because of its giant caps already has a similar liquidity so I plan to re-examine the bypass caps in it and see if additional speed is desirable.

The TORII JR, is already faster than the ZMA and uses UFO transformers so I'm thinking it should be left alone or at least wait until last to be explored.

Even if they could be used in parallel, you have to realize these tubes are not even being made anywhere on the planet, and designing more amplifiers that use them beyond this would be foolish.  Perhaps along the journey I'll find similar tubes that can be used, but again, it's best to stay focused on the prize.  The prize is the speed of the high efficiency speaker coupled with a 2 watt amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #291 - 02/17/18 at 20:58:53

THANK YOU STEVE!!.. for staying focused and keeping an eye on the prize - high efficiency speakers with a 2 watt amp.

The hardest thing to do is to maintain objectivity when considering high efficiency/low power.  I couldn’t for the longest time.  Even when my system presented undeniable proof of the possibilities of such a system I had the hardest time accepting what I was hearing.  At times I would walk away... and try to reconcile what I was hearing against my established conclusions, I had lost OBJECTIVITY!

I could’nt take the grills off of my Omega S3HOXRS for that reason.  Now, finally, I can and do without giving it a second thought.  I’ve regained my objectivity.  Which means that I can understand and accept both sides of the matter... High efficiency/low power and low efficiency/high power.

The thing for me is that I have tried both and have had to spend time and effort with both to achieve my goals and I’ve gotten a lot closer to my goals with high efficiency/low power than with the other.  So I’m not pitting one against the other in an effort to prove anything, but very few have taken the time and effort to work with high efficiency/low power and have spent far more time with the other, why?,  Because they came to a conclusion regarding high efficiency/low power and lost objectivity.    

There’s room for both.  There are reasons for both.  It’s great that your spending time to bring the 2 watt ZEN to the next level.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #292 - 02/17/18 at 23:35:57

JOMAN - Nicely put.

WWW   IP Logged
Poor guy
Verified Member

Reply #293 - 02/18/18 at 21:48:27

Greetings All You music lovers this is my first post. I have been lurking in the background since I bought my zen select kit in 2002.
     I am the poor guy that Steve mentions in page 12 of post 580, well I was finally able to pry myself out of this black hole called a listener's seat and I am moved to speak up.
    Well just when you think things can't get any better Steve does it again! This time he hit this one out of the planet!! These amps are simply wonderful. I heartily agree with all his impressions of this amplifier. First thing I have a confession to make I am a polygamist I just cannot seem to be married to one amplifier they all have their different flavors. but these amps may change all that, my other amps in comparison are slow and unfocused although they may give a pleasant illusion. with the 325 Manos and good recording it is spooky real!! You're as close to real as I've ever heard it it's like your ears are hearing exactly what the microphones here you can easily hear if the balance is off either left or right with near field listening. Clarity  Focus  speed  it's all there! Hey they even make digital sound fantastic, and analog especially 50s and 60s tube recordings you know before transistor will take you to a higher level they can sound glorious. I can't imagine anything better!
  Okay you can change the flavor by playing with wires or tubes but right now I have no desire to, I am enjoying Steve recipe. I'd like to also mention like Steve that these amps sound more powerful than what they are in my room 10 and 1/2 by 19 ft set up on the diagonal. I get all the volume I need and M amazed at how they don't seem to clip I think my room overloads before these amp show any sign of distress amazing! And the base I get is all I need it is hard to believe all this is coming out of those tiny output Transformers. Thanks again Steve you are a Master Chef and I know you love your hobby as much as we do and want to share it with us and as a bonus you're able to make a good living doing it.
   Where else can you get this quality.! American-made point-to-point wiring and no circuit boards and a lifetime warranty Steve we all enjoy your Explorations and thinking outside the box going where no one has gone before.
 Well I got to go that black hole is starting to pull on me again.! Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #294 - 02/18/18 at 22:17:54

Thanks for weighing in, I was hoping you would! This makes me feel really good as I have a pair of the Monoblocks on order and can't wait to hear them!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #295 - 02/18/18 at 22:31:05

Thanks Poor guy!

IP Logged
Poor guy
Verified Member

Reply #296 - 02/18/18 at 23:52:46

With the right speakers there's no need to look any further if you don't need the power

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #297 - 02/19/18 at 00:48:28

Hi Steve,
I assume you will let us know when we can order the SE84UFO25. Timing still looks like Summer? What color do you use for backlit meters?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #298 - 02/19/18 at 17:24:35

The backlit meters are incandescent... I don't do LED's.

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #299 - 02/21/18 at 22:48:58

How about this for a new chassis design Steve?  Just having fun and sketched these out.

I got the basic idea from a pair of old Siemens 6S ELA 2427 tube amps which were kind of a narrow shoe box shaped chassis and then removed the tubes from the inside and mounted them on the top of the chassis so everyone can bask in the Decware Zen tube glow.

New interpretation:

I think you could basically use this design for almost all of your amps just needing to adjust them for size.  I can picture a set of 25 Anni mono blocks and a ZP3 all in the same style chassis taking up only one shelf on a hi-fi rack. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Send Topic Print