Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 09:22:41 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 97928 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #300 - 02/23/18 at 03:20:09

Nice chassis designs!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #301 - 02/23/18 at 04:09:41

ANNIVERSARY UPDATE

Well, it has finally happened... I was forced to put a different amplifier in for the first time since building the anniversary prototype.

It is a moment I've been putting off for good reasons. One of which is that I've been enjoying it too much to want to change anything. But the real reason was fear.  

Once I actually do start comparing the amps I think I already know what would happen, but no matter what actually happens I'm screwed.

Scenario A: I put in another Decware amplifier which I have always loved and it fails to impress by comparison thus sounding bad to me for the first time ever.  That's of course going to be stressful.

Scenario B: I put in another Decware amplifier which I have always loved and it sounds better than the Anniversary amp. That's of course going to be even more stressful.

As predicted it was scenario A. It wasn't pretty. Then to add insult to injury later in the same evening I decided to put the corner horns on and similarly to the amp comparison, they now sounded broken compared to the DNA2's. I have never heard them sound bad before.

Sound Quality is a journey of context. The best thing you can do to ensure what you have sounds it's best is to be sure not to listen to anything better.

So it is a bittersweet experience that will no doubt repeat itself several more times before it's over.  

Also I have to say, that the DNA2's have been extraordinary on every level to the point where you believe they could never sound bad. When the amplifiers were changed, the speakers dropped from a 10+++ to about a 6.  As a speaker designer I have to tell you that this is a highly disturbing thing to witness.

I think this amplifier and speaker combination is so outrageous that to me it's in the same league for Decware as putting a car in space was to Elon Musks' Space Ex.  Hey, you don't see any other cars in space do you?  

For years I've been wanting to shoot a Zen Amp out of a cannon right through a concrete block wall and then re-tube it, plug it in and listen to it to demonstrate just one reason why an amplifier without circuit boards is better.

Smiley Now I'm thinking we need a Zen Triode Amplifier, 25th edition in space.... Actually in orbit.  We already have amps in space thanks to the abductions over the years... see video:  https://decware.wistia.com/medias/roqnquwf13

Steve

P.S.  If you enjoyed the video, here is part II.  https://decware.wistia.com/medias/puv6rk8rue

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #302 - 02/23/18 at 10:22:20

I would have predicted that there would be a let down. But the earlier amps are still great, it's just Zen marches your designs forward and this is an age of progress in some wonderful things.

Better get that newly sized DNA Horn marching towards production!

Yes, a Zen Amp in Space. . for the "Year of the UFO." Seems appropriate! LOL

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #303 - 02/23/18 at 14:30:26

I must concur with Steve! He seemed, even visually, a bit shaken at the amp switching scenario! "There is just not as much there!", was the comment.
And Lon, nice turn of phrase!!

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #304 - 02/23/18 at 17:22:38

OK, time for a little objectivity here...

Is the Anniversary Amp THE PERFECT AMP?  I’m going to say that as good as it promises to be... NO!  Does that mean that it should not be released until the PERFECT AMP is available for fear that it will be so bad in comparatison to THE PERFECT amp when it is available??

Do that and I will visit you with ill intent.

The not so perfect UFO2 has been a great experience and if it wasn’t do you think that I’d buy the Aniversary Amp?  It was perfect for what it was intended to do.

So don’t look back with regret, it will prevent you from keeping focus on the objective.

IP Logged
Poor guy
Verified Member

Reply #305 - 02/23/18 at 22:39:07

UFO 325 versus Tori MK 3
Okay I had to do it my Mark 3 amp is running New Old Stock Golden Lion kt77 tubes unfortunately I do not have the UFO output Transformers yet but I had to do a comparison the Tori Push Pull amp has the hit that Steve talks about it also has more power of course I noticed that the instruments are in place in the sound field separated from themselves which sounds really good but with the Manos the soundstage is continuous there is more information between the instruments especially with recordings that are naturally miked mixed recordings may be less noticeable but still sound very good the Tories have a richest sound more harmonics more distortions but even order distortions can sound really good hey when you split the signal and put it back together it can't be as pure as single ended the Manos are simply seamless there is just more information and they show no signs of stress with the right speakers I'm running open baffles homemade with vintage drivers I would say approximately 95 + efficiency show my impressions are that the Tory 3 is very enjoyable maybe especially on rock music but the Manos blow them away I kind of like both of them they both have different flavors but with the mono's and good recordings you are just about there in the dark both amps look really cool especially when lit up together I don't want to part with either I guess I'm still a polygamist either amp can take you away from reality into a world of sound

Greado epoch  Sota star  audio quest  pt9  zmc1  zp3  cp2 audio quest quartz
Se84 UFO 325 Dnc1 Zstysg

IP Logged
Poor guy
Verified Member

Reply #306 - 02/23/18 at 22:49:49

PS these Manos are simply compelling they draw you into the music you really can't say enough about them thanks again Steve

Cd-200i   c-dac 1 Zbox Z stage cp2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #307 - 02/24/18 at 00:17:51

Interesting comparisons Poor Guy. Yes, I too have a Torii Mk III and love it, but there is something about the Taboo Mk IV that for my needs now (and with the killer gain I can drop into it from ZTPRE, ZBOX and ZROCK2) is just more satisfying. Similar to the Monos you have there's more information in the soundstage and it's enveloping and the sound is great for jazz and classical and even rock and video material. I can't wait to hear the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks, I think I'll have the next pair after yours.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Poor guy
Verified Member

Reply #308 - 02/24/18 at 00:52:11

Hello l o n just finished listening to a mono Lionel Hampton recording good mono can sound almost like stereo a good string quartet can sound really good either mono or stereo anyway now that I have my monoblocks I'm thinking about the ZT pre I'm thinking that it may be nice to run balanced to these amps whenever this poor guy gets some extra cash anyway you made a good decision you're really going to enjoy these monoblocks I favor them over the Tory 3 it's hard to take them out of the system looking forward to others impressions when they get theirs it should be really interesting

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #309 - 02/24/18 at 01:42:43

I love good mono as well. A lot of the music I love to listen to was recorded before stereo, what you gonna do? I find when I have the system tailored to mono--strong center image, frequency balance even across both channels, etc.--stereo sounds phenomenal.

I'll definitely share my impressions of the Monoblocks when I get them!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #310 - 02/24/18 at 17:23:35

How do the anniversary amps do with average or bad recordings?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #311 - 02/24/18 at 17:34:06

Still trying to wrap my head around that one... it is handling that differently as well. Bad sounding recordings now have a complexity that would have Spock from StarTrek doing the one eyebrow thing.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #312 - 02/25/18 at 17:31:05

Steve, you mentioned earlier:

"I will comment that the ZMA because of its giant caps already has a similar liquidity so I plan to re-examine the bypass caps in it and see if additional speed is desirable.

The TORII JR, is already faster than the ZMA and uses UFO transformers......."

....can you give us a timeline of your re-examination with by-pass caps & approximate cost (x 2) both channels?
....I believe it was $680 per mono UFO3 upgrade.

I have no problem with $1360 + shipping to and from Decware for my ZMA enhancement. If, you deem this to be a damn good enhancement for my ZMA.

I find Jeff's experiment with the Power Caps alone first; very interesting and I commented so..... .

Jeff is experimenting with the ZMA Power Caps......alone/no by-pass initially.....
Exercise in SPEED (found in the ZMA Forum):

"There is an additional (identical) 47uF cap between the voltage regulator (OA3) and the two input tubes on each channel.  

So, I am going to replace this pair of electrolytic caps as well with the Mundorf TubeCaps.  So this will raise the TubeCap count to (6), plus the (2) huge MLytic HP+ caps (replacing the Mallory's).  The overall parts cost is now $680 (+labor)."

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #313 - 02/25/18 at 22:59:41

In keeping with the question about how the anniversary amp does with average or bad recordings I decided to listen to my dry Sansui FM tuner on today's syndicated classic MP3 rock music because that is truly the worst source/recordings I know.

The result is that I've lasted just past an hour and have only thought about putting it out of its misery a couple times a minute for the last 1/2 hour.  So for what it's worth, the anniversary amp will help with bad recordings on a good source, but not with MP3 recordings on a bad source.  

I have used this tuner in the past to test the ZROCK2 and I found that pretty much fixed it for what it's worth.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #314 - 02/26/18 at 00:24:29

Quote:
...can you give us a timeline of your re-examination with by-pass caps & approximate cost (x 2) both channels?

I really can't. I haven't even compared the ZMA to the UFO25. Not sure when I will, and have no idea what the outcome would be or what I would be inclined to do as a result of that outcome, if anything.

As I alluded to earlier in this thread, I imagine this will motivate some updates elsewhere in the Decware line in the coming years and after having heard how it rates against a stock Zen amp I can pretty much bank on it. Rushing to get it done on the other hand would be assuming too much too soon and isn't my style anyway.  

Not to crush the spirit of this but using the ZMA as an example, if I do develop an anniversary mod for it and people send their amps in for the mod, anything that has been changed in the amp will be removed and returned to stock prior to the mod and added to the cost of the mod so you might want to keep that in mind.

While I'm sure the tube cap has some merit, I predict depending on the circuit location using them in place of our electrolytics would be a trade-off when compared to a high quality electrolytic with the proper bypassing. Good electrolytics have a desirable depth of tone and decay and are slower than film caps. It is the contrast between slow and fast that create the window of a good bypass. Speed is relative.  If you make it only fast, you loose the contrast by which you perceive the speed. However if the slower you make it at the same time you are making it faster the greater the sense of speed.

I ignored my own advise when developing one of the original Zen Triode Monoblock prototypes by building the entire power supply from polyurethane film and foil Teflon caps and it sounded worse than a stock Zen amp. While it was no doubt much faster, it didn't sound any faster and resulted in a somewhat flat, less animated, clinical signature.

Also there is a place in every circuit for a particular type of cap based on the current, voltage and speed demands put on it. There is no formula for bypass that works for everything despite what some people teach.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #315 - 02/26/18 at 01:29:13

Trust the Master!   Cool

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #316 - 02/26/18 at 01:52:38

Well understood Steve. I appreciate your ZMA so very much for my enjoyment. I will wait for when and if you decide it receives an enhancement involving the depth of tone and decay and the contrast of speed as you can only do it.

Much respect to you Steve and thanks for your candid response.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #317 - 02/28/18 at 10:52:26

RE: Anniversary amps

Will an even larger power transformer make a positive difference? Have you tried a boutique IEC fused inlet from Furutech or an upgraded fuse?

Any new news?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #318 - 03/02/18 at 15:03:25

Steve,
What is the status of those model specific component platforms you had on display at Decfest last Fall?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier
Reply #319 - 03/17/18 at 02:54:47

Hi Jeff,

They are going to be vibration canceling platforms designed for specific Decware amplifiers which is to say each platform will be tuned to the mass of and size of amplifier.  My plan is to release the first model for the smaller amps (like the SE84UFO25 for example) this summer.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #320 - 03/17/18 at 04:16:37

Another UPDATE:

More signs from the Audio Gods of their influence over this project...  The steel plates arrived and the thickness has been increased to 1/8 inch even though I did not change the spec and no one seems to know what happened.  (I wish I would of thought of it because it's almost a 50% increase in mass further reducing the effects of vibration and micro phonics)

It makes sense when you think about it... the original Zen Triode Amplifier was an inspiration from the Audio Gods so this 25th anniversary edition is personal to them.  I mean it's obvious right? Because I didn't think of it or see it when the clues were given, they just took maters into their own hands ; )

Right now we're working out the sockets.  Apparently they liked my first choice because the alternates should have been here two weeks ago and haven't showed up.  Supplier shows the order waiting for payment, Paypal shows order was paid three weeks ago.  

I'll keep you updated.  Hope to have a ballpark on the price by May 2018.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #321 - 03/17/18 at 06:34:47

That looks nice, Steve!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #322 - 03/17/18 at 08:01:59

Those sure look beefy and are certainly at the level of the ZTPRE ~ which (in IMO of course) the ZTPRE sets the standard that most other Decware pieces do not measure up to when it comes to style and looks.  I love the tube designations/markings as well very professional looking!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #323 - 03/17/18 at 14:12:42

I agree with you, L R! I can almost see that in my rack!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #324 - 03/17/18 at 14:58:06

I do like the Green patina. Happy St. Patrick's Day!  

I'm French Canadian Montreal thru Quebec & the wine region of France/Origins......Languedoc-Roussillon region....yeah, thus, I like the good stuff.....as I do in Decware AMPS! ....and front end/Source.

I do..................love green though!

Cool, on the 1/8 inch plate scene.......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #325 - 03/17/18 at 15:00:39

lazb wrote on 03/17/18 at 14:12:42:
I agree with you, L R! I can almost see that in my rack!

One day you WILL see that in your rack!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #326 - 03/17/18 at 15:12:34

I know I will! Oh, wait Smiley

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #327 - 03/17/18 at 16:22:37

"I do like the Green patina."

I seem to remember a ZMA review that said if Decware were painted green (a la Shindo) there could easily be another zero in the price tag. I hope that's not the case here....

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #328 - 03/17/18 at 18:15:58

I'm glad to hear Steve is getting serious about vibration control.  The thicker plate may just change the frequency and not necessarily help any underlying problem though.  I've posted several times before that when I first played my ZMA, with it sitting directly on my very solid support, I got constructive feedback that would have made it impossible to play at more than half volume.  I built a "tuned" isolation platform for it to sit on that completely eliminated the problem.  I have them under every piece of equipment, including speakers.  I'm very interested to see what Steve comes up with along these lines.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #329 - 03/17/18 at 18:21:00

I too have isolation under everything, and what a difference it can make. Jeff, what did those look like when you were at Decfest? Will be interesting to see Decware's product in this field.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #330 - 03/17/18 at 20:41:49

I saw the new vibration isolation platforms at the 'Fest.
They appeared to be solid Maple and had, if I remember correctly, a ball in cup arrangement. Steve told me that it really works well. He said that most other types don't work, but his did.
Sorry, it has been 5 months, I forgot the details.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #331 - 03/17/18 at 21:18:39

Thanks for the report Donnie. I guess that the prototype SE84UFO25 that is pictured with the red tinted top may be sitting on one of the isolation pieces then. . . .

26815213_397600073994726_4504576957471168897_n.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #332 - 03/19/18 at 21:36:33

My 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks went onto the bench today! Smiley

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 03/20/18 at 00:12:11

The wait is going to be pretty tough I imagine! Are the monos going to have the same top plates as the stereo version or is he sticking with the same mono plates that he uses currently?

Edit : whoa wait ... that was actually pretty fast wasn't it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #334 - 03/20/18 at 00:27:39

Well, I ordered them February 9, so . . .five and a half weeks or so to "On the Bench" is quick, not terribly fast. It's been an additional three weeks or so to shipping from this point my last two orders or so. . . so I expect about three weeks to go.

I honestly don't know what the top plate will be like on these! There will be two more tubes on it but I am not sure that there will be extra silk-screening or a different color top plate. . . I actually hope NOT, i love the simple black top plate look of the SE84UFO3.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 03/20/18 at 06:24:51

Lon,

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to your impressions of the new monoblocks. I could see those happily existing with my Linear Tube Audio OTL preamp. And I couldn't agree with you more about the black top plate. I like simple, understated, classic.

Keep us up to date, please.

Randy

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #336 - 03/20/18 at 07:14:18

I actually think the new top plate looks much better, the tube markings/designations give it a very industrial cool factor as well IMO.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #337 - 03/20/18 at 11:51:44

Yeah, we're all different. .. I'll take what he gives me and like it, but the more they look like a regular pair of SE84UFO3 the better for me. I just love that simple unlettered look.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #338 - 03/20/18 at 13:41:11

Bottlehead wrote on 03/20/18 at 06:24:51:
Lon,

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to your impressions of the new monoblocks. I could see those happily existing with my Linear Tube Audio OTL preamp. And I couldn't agree with you more about the black top plate. I like simple, understated, classic.

Keep us up to date, please.

Randy

Hi Randy! Hope you are doing well. Of course, I'll be sharing with you likely both here and off the board.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #339 - 03/21/18 at 07:08:26

Beo,

I will agree with you on one aspect of the new tops: the thickness. I love that beefy, substantial look.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #340 - 03/22/18 at 01:31:32

And today they are in "Testing." My last two items were in "Testing" a long time, which is great, they get broken in that way, and I welcome Steve having more time with a pair to assess and evaluate.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #341 - 03/22/18 at 03:00:52

UPDATE:  Chassis hardware selection for the SE84UFO25...

I was originally intending on using silver wherever possible especially since that would theme it nicely being a 25th anniversary product.  After thinking about it for some time I realized this isn't a firkin wedding cake and the "theme crap" is getting in the way of what I'm being drawn to do which in this case is gold.

After dozens of combinations of different types of sockets and connectors this is where it's at so far.  The only thing left is the binding posts.  I have tested many boutique posts against our standard post shown in the picture and while several are prettier, none are actually better and several were not as good.  

I have another round of binding posts on the way to evaluate.  Stuff like the 245.00 a channel FURUTECH FT-806(G) High End Performance Carbon Fiber Binding Posts and all their other models as well.  Don't panic, I haven't lost my mind!  I went directly to the manufacture of the FT-806 post in China and have it made without the FURUTECH name for less than $30.00 a channel!

So with that, the binding posts in the picture are subject to change.  If I keep these, they will be 24K gold plated to match the rest of the hardware.

BTW, waiting for all these damn parts to arrive is getting suspenseful. The chassis itself is starting to create a vacuum because it wants to be built in the worst way!  If I wait much longer its just going to built itself!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #342 - 03/22/18 at 03:29:06

INTERESTINGLY...

While looking at the picture here in the post (and listening to the amp at the same time) I had another serendipitous sign from the Audio Gods! I realized the placement of things on this amplifier chassis closely resembles the flower of life which might be why I've been having a hard time not staring at it the last couple nights!

Clearly, I'm having way too much fun.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #343 - 03/22/18 at 03:48:10

Here are more pics

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #344 - 03/22/18 at 03:48:31

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #345 - 03/22/18 at 03:48:56

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #346 - 03/22/18 at 03:53:24

Have a great night...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #347 - 03/22/18 at 04:37:13

See... it needs parts... wires...  wisdom!  Can you feel the vacuum?.  

This is how it happens... Basically you have a schematic, a box of parts of various sizes and this.  All you have to do is figure out the best way to connect it all and lay it out with the least number of solder nodes, the shortest amounts of wire, and spread it all out in such a way as to have the least amount of field interaction and everything has to take repeated 100 G impacts in the order of hundreds of times so lead length vs. lead diameter vs. part mass will make it difficult to lay things out the way you want to.  

Build it like it needs to survive a war and it will.  (on that note, my soldering gurus wire wrap the entire amp together so that it will work perfectly well before it's even soldered.  It's an awesome approach until you want to change something or take it apart.

Thankfully I've already done it once, so now I will have the massive advantage of seeing how it did it and copying what I like and changing what I don't like.

This is my gold watch for 25 years of loyal service coming to fruition.  OMG it's another sign!  I spelled a word right!

Happy listening Smiley  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #348 - 03/22/18 at 05:16:23

Tonight I'm listening to FRIEDEMANN / THE CONCERT which I consider a A+ recording on every level. The sound with this amp is just stunning.  Again when I hear myself saying "it sounds real..." it plays against how it feels which is real. Let me rephrase that... it sounds so real it feels real. You can actually feel it, at any volume from low to high.  

If we could just pass a law where the entire world had to use one of these amps to master all recordings it would push our ascension as a species to a higher consciousness.

Stick your IPODs and earbuds up your ass, we're taking our planet back!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #349 - 03/22/18 at 05:38:13

OK,

Once again I had no intension on posting anything more tonight but I made the mistake of listening to the amplifier.  It has me.  I'm sorry.  I am listening to Crash Dance, Yello, Oliver Lieb and it's just so damn sick I can't handle it!  I had to leap out of the room in amazement because about half way through the track there was a sound featured well behind my right shoulder, I would have had to twist my neck around to look at it.  It felt so real and how I can I express this...  Picture an IMAX theater with 360 degree Omnivision only unlike that visual spectacular, the sound bleeds over into the visual and you not only see it but feel it. If I had a guest here tonight and told them it was only two speakers they would have known I was full of crap and left.

Perhaps the amp is activating the 3rd eye...?  it just doesn't seem possible to have this experience with only two ears.  It just doesn't.

Also as incredible as the sound I'm hearing is, ever since Randy left with his Betsy baffles that have the dual drivers, I have been waiting for the rear of the sound stage to map out in a perfect square like it did that night when he was here and it hasn't yet.  I'm just saying.  There is a sick irony in the fact that a 3K$ 2W amplifier and a $500 or so pair of speakers would set such a benchmark, when 20 years ago it was a $500 amplifier and a 30K pair of speakers that nearly accomplished the same thing.   Hmmm.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Send Topic Print