Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 03:53:48 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Send Topic Print
25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier (Read 97833 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: 25th Anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier
Reply #400 - 03/30/18 at 03:32:49

As I finish up another pair of Anniversary Mods to the SE84UFO3's today I thought I would post a picture.  Since this mod is not on the web site this would be the only place for information about it.

Externally there are no changes made to the amplifier.  The mod is noted on the sticker otherwise the only way to tell is to look inside.  Here is a picture of the inside after mods.

You may remember in my earlier posts I first thought I wouldn't need an extra regulator tube but later realized it needed it, so we designed the circuit around the OC2 and placed it on the inside of the amp.  We can do this because it generates no heat and they don't wear out.  The only way it would fail is if an input tube shorted in which case the OC2 would become a fuse saving the amplifier from any damage.  We used a socket so that if it ever needs replaced there would be no soldering required.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #401 - 03/30/18 at 04:17:02

As suspected, the posts we currently use are the winners now that they have been re-plated with 24K Gold. Same with the IEC and fuse holder.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #402 - 03/30/18 at 04:19:33

Here's a picture of volume knobs installed on the amp.

We will be offering this amp with or without volume controls.  The beauty of this arrangement with the black base is that if you order the amp without volume controls it won't look like something is missing or has been left out because the black base remains.

Also for those who might be shocked that I would offer it without volume controls I have a simple way to do it without compromising your ability to "ride the gain" as many like to call it. That is when you turn the volume on the amp down a bit and the volume on the preamp up a bit to create more hit and overall density/weight in the music without playing it at a louder volume.  

Anyway if someone wanted the amp without volume controls, they have a preamp so we will simply wire the amp with an input sensitivity that matches having the volume control set at 75%.  This way you don't loose the advantage you would normally get from leaving the volume control in and adjusting it back from full.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TheTakeOut
Verified Member

Reply #403 - 03/30/18 at 04:19:36

see - i didn't know you could hook up more than one speaker to a post.  thanks for the tip.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #404 - 03/30/18 at 10:35:32

Steve Deckert wrote on 03/30/18 at 03:32:49:

As I finish up another pair of Anniversary Mods to the SE84UFO3's today I thought I would post a picture.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/images/ufo3mod.jpg

What a great set up Steve. And it will keep me from rolling the OC2! Which is probably a good thing! Thanks for sharing the photo, been eager to see one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #405 - 03/30/18 at 16:36:27

thats looking yummy!

have we discussed target pricing and timing for this baby?

advance orders?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #406 - 03/30/18 at 20:23:09

In an earlier post Steve called this a "3K" amplifier. . . so I figure that's about the ballpark price.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #407 - 03/30/18 at 20:32:57

When I mentioned it as a $3500 amp, Steve didn't balk.  Compare the inside and outside with the various Decware amps and you can make a good estimate.  Parts and labor.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #408 - 03/31/18 at 01:49:28

Early on in the thread Steve alluded to the possibility of it costing as much as the Torii, i.e. $3500.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #409 - 04/01/18 at 04:14:36

Here's a few build photos of the SE84UFO25 production sample.  This is the amplifier that will be used to make copies.  I guess you could say it's the master tape.

This is where it all starts!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #410 - 04/01/18 at 04:20:52

The transformers are now wired as are the heaters which not only power the tubes but also the lights on the meters.

The trick is how to make lots of parts and wires look like less parts and wires... it's really a never ending challenge with any layout.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #411 - 04/01/18 at 04:29:31

Here is the completed audio section of the amplifier.

Next will come the grounds.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #412 - 04/01/18 at 04:34:25

The grounds are being installed

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #413 - 04/01/18 at 04:39:59

Wow Steve!  A force to be reckoned with for sure.  Such an array of top notch parts.  Coupled with your design, this amplifier looks to be playing out every bit as awesome as we have been reading/imagining.  Keep on keeping on!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #414 - 04/01/18 at 16:51:41

Steve,  you must have the hands of a child to get into those tight spots and put it all together. It's awesome seeing it built in stages like this!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #415 - 04/01/18 at 18:33:59

Does this get a pair of OC2s inside?  Where will they fit?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #416 - 04/01/18 at 19:00:46

I think the OC2s inside the chassis are only a feature of the 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #417 - 04/01/18 at 19:03:14

I think the OC2s inside the chassis are only a feature of the 25th Anniversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. The Monoblocks seem to have an OA3 on the top and an OC2 inside. (But we have not yet really seen a top plate, I am guessing it resembles the SE84UFO3 "regular" version).

For the single amp SE84UFO2 version it seems all the tubes are on the top and it does not use an OC2. Seems the regulation tubes are two OA3 at the rear by the IEC inlet and an OD3 in front of the rectifier. To me that makes sense considering the amount of power tubes in each configuration.

IP Logged
Artem
Verified Member

Reply #418 - 04/01/18 at 22:43:55

Just want to confirm Steve’s comment about 6n5p tube instead of 6n1p. I’ve tried it in my se84ckc amp and I am very glad I did it. Even my wife realized that something went completely different (in a positive way) even without entering the listening room. The bass is definitely better and naturalness of the sound also. But the main positive outcome is absense of listening fatigue now. With 6n1p I was very tired after the listening – something forced me to switch the tracks very fast because it was difficult to listen for a long time. I thought that the problem is in my speakers (Omega Super 3 XRS HO) but now I understand that it is not true.
I have tried the rare version of this tube (with black box anode) – this is an old design tube from fifties or sixties – more recent versions has very similar to 6n1p construction. There was a discussion in another threads about mislabeling but as far as I understood it is not mislabeling (i've searched the discussions on russian forums).
Pictures show how it looks like. Definitely it worth a try – it is inexpensive upgrade.

IMG_20180401_103425_resize.jpg
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #419 - 04/02/18 at 00:11:12

Lon, I think you're right.  I see the OD3 on top.  I guess Steve is doing the monos without changing the top plate.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #420 - 04/02/18 at 01:55:56

Correct, the SE84UFO3 monos are being modified internally with the anniversary circuit as an option.

Depending on the success level of the SE84UFO25 soon to be released, we might design a new chassis for the SE84UFO3 to match the new SE84UFO25.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #421 - 04/02/18 at 02:20:18

Happy Easter and may it be filled with music!  Since it is also April 1st, it is most appropriate that it's snowing outside here at Decware, but no worries it makes for a nice relaxing evening of soldering!

Here are some more pictures of the SE84UFO25 being built.

Working on the power supply filter and bypass caps tonight... basically the back end of the amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #422 - 04/02/18 at 02:31:48

Same step, different angle...

The blue caps are F&T 500 VDC from Germany. Each one is being fed from a 150 ohm 6W wire wound DALE/VISHAY resistor (the ones marked MEXICO).

The two 33K DALE 2 watt emanating from this same central node feed the OD3 serving the input stage. So the high voltage DC from the rectifier tube (yellow wire) is spilt three-ways at this node to feed each of the three audio tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #423 - 04/02/18 at 02:36:41

Some great photos Steve! I get what you did with the monos, and it makes sense!

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #424 - 04/02/18 at 02:37:37

Wouldn't it be great if we could just quit here?  I mean we have 10 caps (the blue ones have two sections in each cap) already and the standard zen only has 2.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #425 - 04/02/18 at 02:40:08

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #426 - 04/02/18 at 02:58:51

Artem, the 6N5P is a really really nice tube. I've done a lot of tube0rolling lately and what works best for my system is 6 of the 6N5P in the ZTPRE, and a 6N1P in the Taboo Mk IV. That is the tube complement that is making it sing for me right now. We'll see what happens with the Monoblocks coming soon! I plan on leaving the ZTPRE as is and rolling tubes later in the Monoblocks' input spot.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #427 - 04/02/18 at 03:03:30

Steve Deckert wrote on 04/02/18 at 01:55:56:

Correct, the SE84UFO3 monos are being modified internally with the anniversary circuit as an option.

Steve

Thanks for clarifying/verifying that Steve. Makes me happy as I LOVE the looks of the SE84UFO3s, that simple elegantly assembled look is just what I want to see in my system!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #428 - 04/02/18 at 03:08:22

This is the complete amp now at this point. (I think)

The rest of the bypass caps are installed. The orange wires lead to a group of polyurethane bypass-caps.  The copper-foil beeswax cap and the 3.3uf film-cap under it are for the input tube's plate resistors.

Now here is an interesting paradox for you...  the "signal path" consists of the input jack, the resistor connecting that jack to the control grid of the input tube and the capacitor connecting the plate of the input tube to the output tube's control grid.

A control grid is like a window shutter.  When the shutter is open the electrons flow right through, just as light comes in your window.  When the shutter is closed, no electrons.  The electrons flowing through the shutter are actually those flowing between the cathode and plate of the tube. That means the electrons used to operate the shutter are not the electrons you "hear"... it is the electrons that flow from the cathode to the plate that you hear.  Well the cathode is connected to ground through a low value resistor, and the plate is supplied by high voltage.

This means the high voltage that supplies the plate is actually the electrons you "hear".  So what is more important, the coupling cap between stages, or the bypass caps in the high voltage supply?  Which ones are you actually listening to?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #429 - 04/02/18 at 03:28:22

This is how Decware hand-builds amplifiers, and my advise is enjoy it while you can, because this two day project could have been completed in 1 hour had it been constructed on a circuit board.

I want you to ponder that for a minute...   this was about a 14 hour surgery.  So for the labor at $72 an hour you just watched a thousand dollars go by. That could have been $72 with a circuit board.

Just look at it. Do you think a circuit board could possibly sound like this ???

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #430 - 04/02/18 at 15:50:51

Steve, that's a thing of beauty!  If not for the dust, I'd order one bottom side up!   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #431 - 04/02/18 at 18:23:17

I, for one, can scarcely wait to begin enjoying the listening!!
I can feel the "HAPPY FACE" forming as I think about it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #432 - 04/02/18 at 18:32:23

Absolutely Joe! When your stuff is built and arrives you're going to be bounding around the place thirty years younger! Wink

IP Logged
gnarlydad
Verified Member

Reply #433 - 04/02/18 at 18:57:18

Hi Steve and all, I've been lurking for some time, and I've had a thought about what Steve is hearing from this new amp, particularly with regard to the sound of Randy's OB speakers, and I have a question: Is it possible that this new amp is acutally listening to the room and actively responding to the room's acoustic capacitance via the speakers themselves, which are, essentially, large microphones? A kind of synergistic, positive feedback. The OB speaker design would include more information, as both sides of the diaphragm are exposed to the room, thus seeing more clearly into the room without adding the filter of a resonant chamber. What do you think?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #434 - 04/03/18 at 04:38:04

This was and is a feature of the TORII MK4 and you're pretty spot on about what is happening. In the Zen Triodes however, there is no positive or negative feedback loops and the output transformer blocks the back EMF from the voice coil leaving the amp largely unaffected by the loudspeaker.

I think with amplifiers like this it's the musical honesty resulting from the layers of resolution that unlocks a higher dimension of listening, just as live music can.

BTW,  Today I tested the amp and it actually worked. I'm listening to it now. It's good. We'll know more in about 600 hours when we A/B against the prototype.

While it's burning in over the next 30 days, I'll be working on hardwood base designs. Because the depth of the chassis is 1/8 inch none of the existing bases in the Decware line will work.  We have to make a custom base for this amp, so we are exploring different woods and different profiles hoping to find something that looks so good everyone will like it.  At this point I am pretty sure the amp will be offered with only one base design made from one exotic wood and anything other than that will be a custom order item and non-refundable.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #435 - 04/03/18 at 04:44:50

Quote:
Posted by: Steve Deckert      Posted on: Yesterday at 01:55:56

Depending on the success level of the SE84UFO25 soon to be released, we might design a new chassis for the SE84UFO3 to match the new SE84UFO25.

I was considering the SE84UFO325 instead of the SE84UFO25 because of the black top. Feel like I need to jump on it now before they get the new color finish.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #436 - 04/06/18 at 15:33:34

This looks and sounds like a really special amp! I enjoy all the detailed work and love that goes into one of these.

I think it has been asked in this thread before, but haven't seen an answer to it, will it also work its magic with the ERRx or HR-1 speakers in a 200 sft room not playing disco level output, but reasonable loud? Or does that require the SE84UFO325?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #437 - 04/06/18 at 17:05:13

My listening/theater room is about 12' x 25' and opens into other rooms, so some sound is lost.

I'm currently running the pre-prototype 25th, and sort of a prototype El Camino speakers which are about 91db and M-T-M design with a basic crossover.

I can run the little Zen amp out of steam if it's an usually quiet recording, or if I'm maybe rocking out a bit too much while cooking dinner in the other room, or showing off for friends. But 90% of the time I get perfectly enjoyable listening levels.  

You *will* run any flea watt amp out of steam at some point, it's just the nature of the beast and why I wish Steve could scale this design up to 15 watts. But for what I consider typical listening enjoyment, I find it does most everything I need. Hell, I have a ZMA and I haven't even plugged the damn thing in since before Xmas!  I do feel that 91db is on the edge of acceptable though. I'd feel better with 3db more efficiency in the speakers...or, you could supplement the low end with a subwoofer and probably wouldn't feel the need to push the amp so much.

I admit, I have had some fun playing some electronic music with the 2 watt zen through the El Camino, and backing it up with an 18" home theater sub with 2000 watts coursing through it! LOL And yeah, you can balance it all out and make it sound great!  

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #438 - 04/06/18 at 19:11:18

I probably overlooked this in one of the many previous posts on this thread, but what are the two RCA-looking connections - right above the toggle switch - for?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #439 - 04/06/18 at 21:37:19

Thanks for the infos Lonely Raven!

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #440 - 04/06/18 at 21:51:42

Pretty sure that is where you input the signal from your source!

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #441 - 04/06/18 at 22:02:26

Quote:
I probably overlooked this in one of the many previous posts on this thread, but what are the two RCA-looking connections - right above the toggle switch - for?

It is the only input for the amp.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #442 - 04/06/18 at 22:16:05

Oh wow, I never noticed their placement before until Tommy brought it to my attention.  Why put them there did he run out of space trying to stuff it into the smallish Zen chassis plate or something?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #443 - 04/06/18 at 22:34:34

My guess is that there is no space at rear and next to input tube worked.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #444 - 04/07/18 at 00:17:29

My guess is that since this amp is about ULTIMATE sound quality, he put the input there so that only parts leads would be used for the input to the input tube. . . as is an optimal way to have the ZP3 set up for instance.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #445 - 04/07/18 at 00:54:40

I second Lon’s reasoning. I believe it has everything to do with sound quality by minimizing the distance between the most vulnerable connection points.

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #446 - 04/07/18 at 11:05:43

Hello Steve,
What make pot is that in the SE84UFO25 ?
Does the SE84UFO325 get the same pot ?

Thanks,                     Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #447 - 04/07/18 at 21:53:25

Never mind Steve. I found it.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #448 - 04/08/18 at 04:17:07

OK, Time for another update!

I'm actually listening to the new SE84UFO25 that I just built, now past the disturbing part of the VCAP burn-in with enough hours to already be indistinguishable from the red prototype!

Which leads me to my post:

Dammit!  This hobby... this addiction to the fidelity ladder!  Once we climb a couple rungs, going back down to where you were is simply not an option unless you're forced to by circumstance. Tonight I just took the 25th Anniversary amp experience about 3 more rungs on the ladder... a ladder I did not know was taller than the rung I was standing on, which is often the case...

You're never going to believe this... but I have to tell the story so bear with me.

I've been haunted by the sound of this amplifier since I made it and without any pressure leisurely and playfully contemplating how I could apply this technology to more stuff. The CSP3 preamp was one of the first things to come to mind.  So recently I developed the anniversary mod for the CSP3 preamp!  I had the perfect test bed to develop it.  Simply place it between the SE84UFO25 and it's source and hear what it did.

Let's talk about the source. The source is the ZDAC2 feeding the ZTPRE which feeds a ZBIT that feeds the amplifier. If I can place something between the ZBIT and the amplifier without ruining the spectacular focus I have, THAT WOULD BE IMPRESSIVE.

So I started with the stock CSP3.  I lost more than I gained. I preferred the sound without it. It felt like one preamp too many. This is my speedometer.  I take the CSP3 to the bench and begin surgery.  After I thought I was probably done I placed it back in the signal path and listened some more.  Still not there.  

Another three rounds of trials and additional stuff and then it happened. I put it into the signal path and knew immediately it was good.  A night to break in a little bit and then today...

Beautiful blue skies, no clouds anywhere as far as the eye can see all day. Just sun and music. I took the day to catch up on my digital music library maintenance so I was able to listen pretty much since this morning, 12 hours so far straight. I have no intension on stopping for at least several more hours.

What would motivate a man to listen non-stop for what will probably be 16 hours? Think about it.

Now, here's the rub... It has been sounding extra spectacular tonight, so I took the modified CSP3 back out of the signal path and damn it... I have to have it in there now. This is insane. That's another 2K to add to the puzzle but OMG I can't believe what it is doing to the sound of my reference signal path!  

This will be by far the hardest sound to describe, but it is firkin magic. When it plays, time slows down. You can feel the cheeks expand and the puff of air behind the words. I thought the density was good before, and the textures were complex before, but I just got taught another humbling lesson by my teachers.

I'm starting to realize that density is it's own form of power. The density counts as watts that you can't measure. Density is a watt multiplier.  

Sorry as usual I'm listening as I write, and it's so damn juicy and round with a subtle magnifying effect on the music that adds saturation to the colors and dimensionality to the shadows and focus. You don't see the hairs on the peach... you see the hairs and each hair's shadow on the peach. You can smell the peach.

Say hello to our new best friend!  The SG5B voltage regulator tube from Russia. This tube is rated for between 5 and 10 milliamps and has a voltage drop of 150Volts. It was selected especially for the CSP3 circuit where there will be one per channel. Each tube will see 7 milliamps.

How was this done to the CSP3 you ask? Visit the development thread here for more info:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1408725911/363#363

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #449 - 04/08/18 at 04:53:12

The color of the SE84UFO25 Anniversary amp will not be repeated on any other amplifiers.  It is this green color to make it stand out and look different because it is the 25th anniversary of the amplifier that started Decware. No other amplifier will look like it.

Will we come out with completely new anniversary editions where possible? Hopefully! If we do, the chassis will not be green like the SE84UFO25, but will in fact be black similar to what they are now. They will be an 1/8 inch thick and black textured like they are now with gold silk screening and the same sockets and hardware as you see on the SE84UFO25.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Send Topic Print