Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:10:58 

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 76991 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #750 - 06/06/19 at 02:46:17

Here's a few seconds of phone video showing the tube VU meters.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #751 - 06/06/19 at 02:52:05

Wow...nice work Steve, they look incredible.
Glad you got them to where you wanted.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #752 - 06/06/19 at 02:52:25

Also here is a pic of miniature triodes used to drive the VU meter tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #753 - 06/06/19 at 02:56:47

And for reference, here is the picture posted earlier in this thread taken prior to the additional tubes.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #754 - 06/06/19 at 03:06:51

A pair of those would sure look good on a MkIV right up front of the input tubes. I know a guy who would probably let you have a go at his... Smiley

RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #755 - 06/06/19 at 03:20:36

Really nice work all around Steve! Those VU tubes are beautifully ingratiating.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #756 - 06/06/19 at 05:40:47

Steve, you've come up with some really cool stuff over the years, but those VU tubes take the cake. Just really exceptional. And if I didn't already want a CSP3-25, I would now.

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #757 - 06/08/19 at 05:15:43

You have to see it in person to appreciate just how cool it is... the last video has two issues, the lights in the VU tube that you see moving are blurry. That is not the case in real life. Also the camera (phone) does not have the speed to capture how fast these actually move to the music! Unlike a VU meter which has a coil and mass, these are pure analog light.  

I have made a better video (shown below) and while I was unable to make it fast enough to really catch what the eye can see in real life, I was able to kill a lot of the blur by making the video black and white. So in this video you will see a nice crisp edge just like it actually looks.

Also, for those of you who have moments when you don't want any lights or things flashing at you, simply remove the VU tubes!  

After all, the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier would accept nothing less although I have already heard it call the new CSP325 a showoff.  ;)

So, I've already been informed this will be an object of lust for many who will probably not get one because they already have one or more preamps... or perhaps the budget for it. My solution to this might be a switch-box similar to the ZSB, but with VU tubes in it. They make top view tubes as well so they could be recessed into the front of a ZSB and look like glass knobs, until you turn on a source component and then they would light up with the music.  

See, the VU meters are to indicate source signals... and the relative strength of those signals... that is their purpose on the CSP325. They are fed from the selector switch. That way, say for example you have a source turned on, but forgot which input it was connected to... simply rotate the dial until you see the VU meters start working and you know your there. It's a natural for a switch box so I may find myself making a prototype of that too before it's over.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #758 - 06/11/19 at 05:00:34

So now that I have the VU meters working the way I envisioned, I have been using the preamp with a variety of different sources, all of which have different amounts of gain.  In every case, the gain is fully adjustable on each source. I did this by using balanced XLR sources and feeding them into a ZBIT which has an adjustable output.  I located the ZBIT next to the preamp so that I can adjust the output level while watching the VU tubes on the preamp.  I adjust for maximum dynamics, which is to say, the most animated movement I can get.  If I don't have enough signal, the VU tubes don't move much.  If I have too much signal the VU tubes become solid.

When I listen to the preamp under both conditions, the weak signal sounds good, but reserved.  The solid signal sounds too thick.  As you adjust the signal level feeding the preamp so that the meters become really animated the music becomes more clear.  This is priceless, because now that we can see the perfect levels with our eyes and hear it at the same time, there is no chance of getting it less than perfect.

This was my goal, and it would in theory have worked with regular analog VU meters that use a needle, but in practice it doesn't because the meters are too slow and the visuals associated with the movement are less intuitive.

I am finding that these being factory set for 2 volts RMS will allow for the output level controls to be past the half-way mark for many components and give the best overall performance for virtually any system using this preamp.

It's so nice to adjust the input level and see the meters respond with what you soon come to realize is the "happy" zone where they really become dynamic and actually hear the music do the exact same thing!!!

Now that the Anniversary amp and preamp are finally together, the VU meters working wonderfully, I have to say that the resulting sound is better than ever!!!  I can also tell you based on memory that I had been running the input hotter than I have it now prior to having the VU tubes to watch for best adjustment.  Probably the reason why it sounds better than ever!  That should be all telling since I thought I had it adjusted right before, but now hear and see that I didn't.  This suggests that many customers using the CSP3 may not have found the ideal setting yet.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #759 - 06/11/19 at 15:51:27

Steve, What settings do you find you are using for both Input and Output with the VU tubes?  I think you recommended 100% for the Inputs in the past.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #760 - 06/12/19 at 03:25:18

Steve said:  "now that we can see the perfect levels with our eyes and hear it at the same time, there is no chance of getting it less than perfect.

the resulting sound is better than ever!!!  "

What a beautiful invention!  
Brian

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #761 - 06/12/19 at 07:30:19

Hey Brian, +1.

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #762 - 06/25/19 at 04:10:44

Archie,

With the CPS3 (and the new CSP325) the ideal input voltage is between 1 and 2 volts.  Since most sources are 2 volts it is usually all the way up.  However, if you have high output dacs, or gain devices that raise that voltage, it is recommended to trim it back down to 2 volts just before it enters the preamp, or in the case of the CSP3, with it's own input level controls.  Remember the CSP325 has these controls deleted to reduce signal path component count.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #763 - 06/25/19 at 04:55:58

UPDATE - JUNE 24

So I'm having a fascinating experience with the Anniversary Amp's dynamics and resolution on two different sets of speakers that sound completely different from each other. Set A is actually an array of 4 drivers done in such a way to achieve perfect time alignment and frequency balance without using a crossover. The imaging of this system is 100% real 3D as are all of the timbres and tone, it is nearly perfect with zero mid-bass bloat... a real hardcore audiophiles dream. Set B is a pair of 15 inch full-range drivers that are the best in that category that I have ever heard. They are warm, slightly rolled, fast, and hit like a live concert at live levels so the dynamics and projection are completely captivating.

What makes these two speaker systems more interesting is the 6dB difference in efficiency. 94dB vs. 100dB. You wouldn't think that's very much but it's actually huge... transformative on an almost epic level when listening to a lower power SET amp such as the Zen Triodes.

So to greatly oversimplify things, one (the 94dB system A) sounds real and ULTRA refined with scary detail and perfect 3D imaging and the other has amazing projection and slam with a softer top end to compensate making it actually sound completely real when you are listening to amplified music that was recorded.

If the two were the same efficiency, the only difference in frequency balance would be that system A has zero mid-bass bloat and an extended top-end, and system B has an exaggerated mid-bass hit like virtually all PA gear, which ironically makes it sound real on todays pop music and classic rock, jazz, blues.  It actually comes from the low compliance suspension on the drivers, not the box!

I spent a night with system A listening to UltraAnalogue's master tapes of which I know the variables of how it was recorded. It sounded completely 100% real and amazingly loud for a 2 watt amp.

I spent the next night with system B listening to digital favorites, most 24 bit, and many with good rhythm sections, and played it 6 dB louder because I could. That was a holy crap moment that will definitely keep me coming back for more... it was so good. The incredible projection and tight focus made for very real imaging, but more like they are in front of you in your room vs. you are in the recording space hearing it live.

Tonight, I decided to throw another UAR master tape at system B to see what that is like, and lost interest right away. It was harder sounding, the projection and mid-bass hit potential of the tight cones featured the foreground and I could no longer hear the large room. I was amazed at how the huge 3D soundstage ie., the room, was gone and the musicians were in my face pushing the sound at me as if they weren't happy with my rate of absorption.

In system A everything was slightly smaller but in a space 30 times larger. In system B everything was twice as big but in a space no bigger than my listening room.

Which system would demo better at a show, even at DECFEST? System B would kill it big time. Only those who steal the room in the middle of the night would pick system A which is perhaps twice or three times as refined and nuanced. Still, I find myself having had a steady diet of System A type systems for years, wanting to get into system B and do a donut around the parking lot a few times and then feel the wind in my face as I get sideways through second gear with corn fields on both sides... So I guess the reality is do you want a Rolls Royce or an American Muscle car with a big block.

The 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier gave me both with nothing more than switching out speakers... now that's a frikin amplifier!

Happy listening... I can't stop!

Steve  

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #764 - 06/25/19 at 12:26:44

Interesting findings Steve.  

I have been playing around with drivers trying to get a balance between what you describe.  Right now, its the 15" bass drivers.  I am looking for something with a little pop, but maintain the imaging.

In the mean time, the amp seems to have surpassed another milestone and its completely addicting.  I lost track of my hours but i'm probably around 1,000.  Somehow, out of the blue I have more nuanced detail and with it, more 3D space around the instruments.  Very hard to pull away when I'm in the right place mentally.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #765 - 06/25/19 at 14:48:54

Good stuff, Steve!  At my age and low to mid-level listening volume preferences, it sounds like "A" is for me.  Box up the set and send em' my way - my room is waiting Cool Grin Cheesy

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #766 - 06/25/19 at 15:13:51

Quote:
With the CPS3 (and the new CSP325) the ideal input voltage is between 1 and 2 volts.

This is new information for me.  I recently did trim back my input pots a couple clicks but I will try more.  Although I have a ZP3 which is putting out about 1 volt (Or less, I think) I feed into a ZR2 before the CSP3.  I don't have a voltmeter, is there any other way to figure out voltage?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #767 - 07/03/19 at 03:19:41

Archie, the only real way is by ear. There are of course many ratios that work and sound good. I'm not sure there even is a best setting because you will inevitably dial it in to music you happen to like and be actively listening to, and then months later as your journey takes you into new music, different recording styles and so on, you will likely prefer a new ratio. It's about the ability to change something, like honing the suspension for the particular race track and everyone knows you won't spend you whole life on one track.

Also, the tubes you happen to use at the time will also effect your preferences. I've been running the CSP325 with the outputs at about half-way or better and use the ZBIT to adjust input level which I have been keeping at 1/2 or less. In the past few days with the new speakers I've been working on, I have actually been running the output controls all the way up and the master volume lower as well as the input level. Now it sounds like I like it again....  better than ever as it brings out the dynamics of these speakers. So tight, so fast, so present. As you back out of the output level things gently back off and become more textured with more depth not all that different from moving from the front row to the 10th or 20th row. The more forward a presentation is, the less of the room you hear but the more of the instruments you hear so it's a viable tradeoff. Gain structures and impedance relationships between stages are what determine what row you will be in as much as the microphone positions in the recording.

Anytime you see an adjustment on a Decware product it means there is no correct setting. If there was, there would be no need for the adjustment.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #768 - 07/03/19 at 04:40:09

I nearly forgot why I came in here! I wanted to talk about the CSP325. It's in testing and so far so good. The internal tubes used to drive the VU meters properly get extra hot so I am leaving it on 24/7 for 30 days at a time to evaluate any negative effects on the heat and test the tube for any sings of aging. Since this is an internal tube I want it to go the distance, which I would like to see 30 years. Of course it could be replaced with a transistors if need be, but I just need to be certain this class A tube driver is the best approach. Solid-state would not create the heat, but then there would be solid-state parts in the 25th Anniversary Classic Stereo Preamp and I'm just not sure that's right.  

So this is where it's at, longevity testing and more experimenting with gain adjustments in many different systems. It has to work as well on a high-end solid-state amp or high-end tube amp by other manufactures, so this is why we are still in development. So far I have given it great opportunity to have issues and it refuses. Just sounds incredible in every situation. My confidence in it grows and grows so my goal of this summer is still on target.

The VU meters are equally effective without your glasses on, or contacts in.  For those who are near sighted it's wonderful to see useful display data clear across the room. It looks like a star in the distance that varies in brightness to the music. They are really turning out to be everything I hoped they would be. It also looks like they will last a very long time.

So far the only side effect is the voltage regulator tubes as they strike once a current draw exists means that if you have your amplifier on prior to turning on your preamp, you will get to hear some nice repeating turn-on thumps. I can eliminate this by loading the tube harder so it strikes once and stays on without the load of the tube, but that is a game changer for voicing as it will drop the voltage across the entire circuit and voltage at any given point in the circuit is what makes it sound the way it does.

It is voiced for the SE84UFO25 presently, and with that amp, this possibility is a mute point because the amp will not harm speakers no matter what you do on the input.  Put a 1000 watt solid state amp on it and turn the amp on before the preamp and you'll be telling you're wife "It's okay hun, the fire it out now.  I threw the smoking tweeters in the back yard... didn't really need them anyway.  The speakers will play quieter now so really it's a good thing!"

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #769 - 07/07/19 at 17:47:50

Any idea how much the input pots cut the voltage per click?  I've been reading the ZR2 and CSP3 manuals and the ZR2 seems to push up voltage by a factor of 4 (max) and the CSP3 likes to see 1 to 2 volts on the input.  Since I put about .75 volt into the ZR2 I need to throttle it back about a volt when going into the CSP3.  Other than "by ear" it'd be nice to have an idea where the input pots would like to be.  There are a LOT of knobs to set!   Undecided

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #770 - 07/10/19 at 04:57:25

CSP3 INPUT VOLTAGE CHART w/ 5U4 and 6N1P-EB

Note:  Outputs set to full, Volume set to full.  Input pots set to zero and charted through their range.

2V INPUT SIGNAL, 528Hz

Position =  Volts
0 = 0V
1 = 156mV
2 = 492mV
3 = 1.53V
4 = 2.8V
5 = 4.0V
6 = 5.1V
7 = 12.22V
8 = 25.0 V
9 = 32.0 V
10 = 32.0V

1V INPUT SIGNAL, 528Hz

Position = Volts
0 = 0V
1 = 60mV
2 = 200mV
3 = 552mV
4 = 1.05V
5 = 1.5V
6 = 1.9V
7 = 4.8V
8 = 7.7V
9 = 10.12V
10 = 10.12V

The max input voltage with the input control set all the way up is 3.38V.  At that point slight clipping is seen at the full 35V output.  If you trim the master volume down and the output control down, the distortion will become inaudible but it will still be there, just at 15 times lower level.  That means you can shove 10 volts into it but it will always sound better set to 3.38 or less.

Keep in mind these figures are with the CSP3 connected to my test gear which is 178KOhms so the output voltage will vary somewhat into different loads.  Also keep in mind the 120V at the outlet and the tubes you use will effect these results making them go up or down.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #771 - 07/10/19 at 05:00:47

Just as a reminder, the CSP325 soon to be released does not have input level controls, so the chart for it would be as it the input controls were set to 10.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #772 - 07/10/19 at 16:23:24

Wow, really helpful!  This generates another question:

What does the ZR2 do to the voltage when run in the "sweet spot?"

Am I understanding correctly that the chart shows output voltage for the 1 and 2 volt inputs?

I keep rereading the post/charts but I'm confused.  If I feed my ZR2 with a 1V signal, what do I need to set my Input pots on to keep below the 3.38V threshold?  I can interpret two ways.  The first is that so long as my input signal is below 3.38V I can run the Input pots wide open and the second interpretation is that I need to have them throttled back considerably at all time.  Assuming my first interpretation is correct then I really need to know what the ZR2 is doing to the signal.

Is having the ZR2 in front of the CSP3 a mistake?  I originally had it after but I thought I got occasional distortion due to the ZR2 input limit of 15V.  Perhaps the CSP3 input limit is more crucial?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #773 - 07/11/19 at 00:49:48

I switched my ZR2 back to after my CSP3.  The way I interpret Steve's table is that if I put 1 volt into my CSP3 (which I do from my TT) the most I can get out of my CSP3 is 10.12 volts.  Since the ZR2 can take 15 volts input, I'm safe from overloading it and any distortion I thought I heard previously was from something else.  Of course, when I use my CD player I'll need to watch the ZR2 input since I can get 32 volts out of the CSP2 with the 2 volt input from my CD player.  This should alleviate any concern that I'm overloading my CSP3 on the input side.

Does this seem right?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #774 - 07/11/19 at 01:01:52

I think there's multiple ways to utilize it. In my main system I run balanced in from my DAC into the ZTPRE into the ZBIT and into the ZROCK2, then into the 25th Anniversary Monoblocks. Playing with the gain between source, preamp, ZBIT and ZROCK2 actually gives me what appears to be multiple amplifiers. . . gain riding is really an education and fun.

In my second system I have an Oppo UDP-205 feeding the ZROCK2 which goes into a CSP3-25 and then to the Taboo Mk IV-25. I like this set up as this way I have the ZROCK2 also influencing the sound when listening to headphones. My Sennheiser HD800S sound wonderful this way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #775 - 07/11/19 at 01:42:00

Do you back off of the input?  I remember reading that your CSP3 has a resistor instead of input pots.  I don't know how the ZTPRE is configured.  The whole 3.38V max got me spooked since I'm not always confident of picking up on subtle distortion.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #776 - 07/11/19 at 02:14:42

A ZROCK2 set in the sweet spot can put out up to 3.30 volts with a 1 volt input.  With a 2 volt input it can put out up to 10.9 volts.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #777 - 07/11/19 at 02:27:47

I have no input controls on the CSP3-25, correct--in that system I have the Taboo Mk IV-25 fully open.

In my main system I have my ZTPRE outputs at abut 13 of 20 on the inputs, volume full up, my ZBIT at about 17 of 20, and my Monoblocks at 17 of 20 (all stepped attenuators). I control volume with the PS Audio DSD DAC via remote with volume between 80 and 90 of 100.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #778 - 07/11/19 at 02:28:04

Archie, you're right it would be easy to set things too high and not hear any distortion 98% of the time because a 2 volt source (CD player for example) when playing a CD will be putting out millivolts with occasional peaks over a volt. Even the most compressed CD is not going to put out 2 volts for more than a few microseconds at a time.

A good way to know what the actual output voltage is in a digitally sourced system would be to use sine waves. Download the tones, or get an app that generates frequencies. Pick a lower frequency like 50Hz and get it playing. You can now take an AC voltmeter and connect between the negative shell and the positive center of the RCA jack or cable and get a voltage reading at any point in the chain.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #779 - 07/11/19 at 02:30:10

Or if you have one of the coolest amps on the planet you can keep an eye on your voltage regulation tubes. . . Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #780 - 07/11/19 at 15:56:46

This all got a lot more complicated that I thought but having the ZR2 after the CSP3 seems to make sense in my case.  I also like having the two sources available without swapping cables.

Thank you again Steve for taking the time to measure the voltages.  Knowing a bit more about the physics makes me more confident when twiddling the knobs.  The ZR2 really punches up the voltage too!

I'm back to running the input pots full open.  Listening to a double LP by Mari Samuelsen last night was sublime, even using my backup Kontrapunkt b cart.  Maybe it was just recorded extremely well?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #781 - 07/13/19 at 07:02:48

UPDATE CSP325

Tonight I added a 220K loading resistor on the Voltage Regulator tubes that are internal and designed to last 30+ years. After observing them over the past several months I found it desirable to slightly load them during the initial turn on cycle when the tubes are just warming up. This is because if the amp is on prior to turning on the preamp, you can have up to one or two seconds of high speed thumping as the tube repeatably strikes until the load is established and it stays lit. This subtle mod will largely eliminate the effect which is probably a good thing because we all know men will NEVER read the owner's manual where they learn the proper sequence to turn things on and off.

Anyway, that and reversing the power switch so it matches the UFO25 and making the transformer screws black to also match makes the bench sample now perfected and ready to be duplicated. Time to go upstairs and take dozens of pictures to try to get some that represent the actual look. Then make the page for it and start taking orders.  We're getting there!  I appreciate your patients.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #782 - 08/13/19 at 04:35:47

Great News! I'm at that point where I am well pleased under dozens of different circumstances and trials lasting for almost a year now, and have fine tuned and tested the CSP325 to a point where there is no longer any benefit from waiting so I am working on the web page as we speak!  That means it will only be a matter of weeks before orders can be placed!  I know it has been a long wait for those wanting to see it, so we're almost there.  Here is a couple pics...

The price will be similar to the price of the amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #783 - 08/13/19 at 04:37:12

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #784 - 08/13/19 at 05:27:33

So, when will you devise the Anniversary Mod scheme for my Ultra?   Wink

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #785 - 08/13/19 at 09:11:47

Regarding the Wilhem Reich discussion on the preceding page, I recently turned my speaker stands into orgone devices. My stands were 31" tall el-cheapo Sanus brand ones made out of horrible quality MDF. The tall parts of the stand were simply two pieces of MDF angled together to make it a V shape (if looking from the top). I needed much heavier stands to keep my Totem Rainmakers from rocking back and forth but then I thought why not pour concrete into these cheapos. Then I thought maybe bondo would be better. And of course the next leap was add some metal and quartz and make it orgonite - and that's what I did. Bought some resin, pounds and pounds of copper coated BB's, and some Madagascar sourced Rose Quartz pieces. $50 all in.

Now I have much tighter bass, no coupling to the suspended wood floor under the carpet and the added benefit of two tall chunks of Orgonite hidden in the stands.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #786 - 08/14/19 at 05:11:53

Nice : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #787 - 08/17/19 at 02:58:02

So here is an example of why I believe in father Murphy...

As you know I have announced that the CSP325 is done and I am finishing the web page, which I still am.  The unit has worked flawlessly for the past 6 months of testing.  last night while listening I watched the left VU tube stop working properly.

Tonight I put it on the bench and found nothing immediately wrong.  I hate that.  Then what should be impossible voltages when all the parts test fine and are in the right place.  It's really not that complicated, yet it refuses to work properly.

I take a break and eat supper. The left meter doesn't work right, and the right meter works fine.  I come back from eating and now both meters are stone cold and neither of them work. This is also why I believe in shop elves.  I am now down to tracing actual wire instead parts sure as shit, I found a broken connection. It was connected, but broken... the worse kind.  I then was able to get things back online enough to finish testing things and found another broken connection.  It was connected, but broken... the worse kind.  It was a twofer.

Both connections broken from this being the original production prototype and having been taken in and out of the Paduke wood chassis perhaps 50 times or more.

Also you should know this exact final hour BS has happened with virtually every product release since the first day. It's so consistent you can set your watch by it.

Just thought you all should know, Murphy is real. He was an engineer who thought he knew it all and to prove it he created overly complicated hi-fi gear that sounded like crap of which he was in denial about until and after his death. He struck a deal to continue to be his annoying self in the spirit world by keeping men humble by making sure anything that can go wrong will go wrong for anyone who thinks it won't.

He is such an ass.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #788 - 08/17/19 at 04:43:03

Anyway, back online and literally tripping on the sound...  In looking back to this time two years ago I have to say I am finding my audio library more humbling than ever. Things I thought were not recorded well, actually were fine, just needed the right nudge to bloom.  Everything is like hearing it for the first time.  This is what happens when you start this journey which begins with a Zen amplifier.  You hear your music for the first time.  Then you improve your source or cables or preamp or add a preamp, or get better speakers, or learn something about room treatments, and each and every change is like getting your entire music library from a new label with superior sonics.  And each time you marvel because you didn't think it was possible to sound better and then it did.  Now that it did you are sure it is impossible to improve any further and then it does.  Positive it could never get any better now, it does it again.  And again.  And again.  And again. and I would say since sound is what makes up the universe, and the universe is ever expanding, there is likely no limit to how many time you can improve it.  

This illustrates that there is probably 100 fold more information in a recording from a microphone than can be stored and played back, even today.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #789 - 08/17/19 at 04:46:15

Ha Ha! I like your way of looking at these troubles.
I hope all will go well for you for a long time before the next annoyance.  

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #790 - 08/17/19 at 05:40:10

I found my ass welded to the listening chair and just had a new experience! If any of you have listened to some Borris Blank over here, the soundstage is massive and the imaging is unreal. Wider enough to wrap to your shoulders, easily 7 feet past the right and left loudspeaker. I know Randy remembers it.  

So tonight I found myself listening to a particular non-Boris Blank track that I loved the first time I heard it, and have casually listened to it for at least 3 months now. Tonight on these BBJ the recording turned out to be in the my top ten list of all time. Not only did it wrap to your shoulders on a 10 foot arc but it went behind my head and most disturbing is it went outside the safe zone. That is to say it left the arc and came in close, like 12 inches from my head.. both behind it, and beside it and in front of it like a playful fairy. I have never heard anything do that in my entire professional career. Had no idea that was even possible let alone hidden in this recording.  Holy Crap!

BTW, the song is Let's Runaway, by Dido from the release Girl Who Got Away (Deluxe) and this a 16 bit CD quality done right.

Just insane. It's like the past year of being completely smoked by the 25th Anniversary amplifier was just a tease. Now it's about to literally happen all over again only 3 fold as much.  I'm just going to have to gag myself.  If you've ever been to a DECFEST in October and thought you heard good sound, including and up to last year, trust me, your about to be shocked.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #791 - 08/17/19 at 11:43:50

Ah yes! Exactly my experiences also. Murphy's Law is real. I think I mentioned it in one of my posts in the past. If you know there is some thing not up to the mark you but think it might work trust me Murphy will pay a visit. The worst are the one's were you think you have covered all your bases only for Murphy to drop by and only then realize you have not. It has caused me a lot of anguish in my professional career. Audio being a hobby for me so Murphy is more of pain than a major concern.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #792 - 08/17/19 at 12:14:47

Steve,

Clearly the Audio God's require huge doses of humility on a regular basis. But, it's such a worthwhile journey. Peace.

NB

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #793 - 08/22/19 at 03:46:11

The CSP325 is now online.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP325.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #794 - 08/22/19 at 04:31:35

Great Page, congratulations Steve it comes across amazingly well.👍🏼
I’m happy for you, and it’s soon to be new owners!
Best,
Scott

IP Logged
BAndrade
Seasoned Member

Do it once, do it
right. Repeat for
quality life.

Reply #795 - 08/22/19 at 05:07:13

Nice work Steve, inside and out.

The improvement over the CSP3 are apparent.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #796 - 08/22/19 at 05:48:33

Yes it has a refinement that is only rivaled by the ZTPRE.  The CSP325 has a lot of things going for it... the way it fixes things instead of creating things is it's best attribute.  The Magic Eye tubes are hypnotic from across the room and highly useful because you always need to know if your source material is in the ZONE or not.  That way when things sound weak, you know it's not a tube or something wrong with your system, but rather the source is on a cigarette break.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #797 - 08/22/19 at 07:20:59

Awesome page! I added this news to the Decware Facebook page, and shared it with a few audio groups.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #798 - 08/22/19 at 18:35:52

Exciting!  Looking forward to getting one!

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #799 - 08/29/19 at 03:55:29

UPDATE

Well, with the CSP325 done and for sale online, the Big Betsy speakers (separate thread) and the Big Betsy Jr speakers completed I am excited to be able to get back to my vibration control platforms for Decware amplifiers!  

The designs have been perfected now, as I spent the whole last year prototyping variations and by comparisons know that the current design is on track. Starting with what will be the most popular size (10 x 17.5 x 3.25") it looks like the price is going to be more than competitive with popular alternatives on the market, and work twice as well.

I have been making some up while I wait for my new vibration meter to arrive sometime next month. I will be using it in the videos to demonstrate what I already know using a piezoelectric disc hooked to my scope. Anyway I am getting pretty excited about it because it's a product that I can't sell on a web page with just pictures and words. This one has to have a video that not only teaches about audio vibration but demonstrates why this approach is so effective.

After all, who would know better than the amplifier manufacture how to reduce vibration in the amplifier ; )

These things make an audible difference by actually reducing vibration rather than lowering the resonant frequency of the vibration which is all you can hope to do with a solid block of wood.

Doubtful I'll have the video done before DECFEST, but certainly shortly thereafter and yet another handicap in the audio chain can be lifted. We have clean power and now we'll have more vivid imaging and dynamics from less vibration than is possible from generic audio platforms.

I'll be selling it with some options too. For example, a package would include everything you need -- properly tuned sorbothane pads and the ebony metal tipped cones designed for the platform. Alternately, some may prefer just the platform by itself.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print