Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:28:23 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any thoughts on tube rolling rectifiers? (Read 8211 times)
jec3504
Ex Member

Re: Any thoughts on tube rolling rectifiers?
Reply #50 - 07/17/22 at 21:05:56

HK,

Good to see you around. Yeah I gave up on the stock power tubes after two weeks. Running this set-up for the next month easily. It gives me a chance to paly around with preamp. Thank you

Nigel,

Once this amp settles I plan on exploring the 6SL7s more. Interested to try out the balanced and matched Quad 6SL7s in the Torri. Had a lot of good luck with qaud new production 6SN7s from Vivatubes. My preamp benefits from matched quads. Thinking the vintage Russian 6SL7s +5C3S rectifiers might make some crazy wild sounds. I'll return your offer when I find a good combo.

Have a Great Day!

Joseph

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 07/19/22 at 15:18:11

HK,

Read your Gold Lion KT77 tubes only lasted 7 months. Do you remember were you bought them? If you don't mind me asking.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 07/19/22 at 15:29:46

Bought the quad from Vacuum Tube Values. Never had a problem with other tubes I purchased from them.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 07/19/22 at 15:36:53

Thanks HK, sorry to hear they only lasted 7 months.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 07/19/22 at 16:51:46

I've gone through 2 quads of GL KT77s. both lasted around 6 months. Guessing around 2,000 hours. No catastrophic failure. Sound gets softer.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 07/19/22 at 17:53:47

2K hours sounds better than 6 months. Thanks for  the info, going to write that down in the note book.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 08/05/22 at 17:26:48

When I had ordered my Torri, it was still an MKIV and tube choice was present on the order page. I had selected KT66.

When the switch to MKV happened, the tube choice disappeared.  I assume the amp will ship with EL34s??

I would also imagine that if you do want a different option, you'd just call Sarah?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 08/05/22 at 17:47:29

The Ukraine war and other global concerns have impacted current production tube choices and availability; I think the list of tubes being removed may be due to a question of what is and will be available and when. An inquiry to Sarah would probably produce the best answer or information.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 08/05/22 at 18:41:23

Thanks Lon, that is often the best course of action.  "In Sarah we trust".

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 08/26/22 at 19:21:27

Question, Left Cryotone  rectifier sparked today. Blew the main fuse. Does that mean the tube is bad?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #60 - 08/26/22 at 21:15:47

Hey jec3504,

The same thing happened to me.  I contacted Don at Wathen, he asked me to send him the tube, then he replaced it - no charge.  I only had a few weeks on it, so that might be a factor.  I do have the impression that he would want to make it right in any case.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 08/27/22 at 18:42:15

Thanks Tony,

Had mine six weeks. Talked to Don once about my order, got the vibe he's a stand-up guy.

So this happen yesterday before I attended a party. This mourning I replaced the fuses. In a fog from last night I took out the rectifiers without keeping track of the tube that sparked.

Tube on the left has a dark ring around the waste Chrome. Also debris that looks like glitter throughout the tube. Anyone think I'm right to assume this is the problem tube?

Thanks,

Joseph

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #62 - 08/27/22 at 20:15:30

Joseph,

That's a little spooky, as I did the same thing when my tube sparked, i.e., lost track of which tube sparked.  I am sure you will hear from more experienced people than I am on this question, but here is what I did.  

I had another tube that I could pair up with what I believed to be the good one and turned on the amp watching for anything suspicious.  When nothing unusual occurred, I concluded that was the good one and sent Don the other one.  I have had no problems since.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 08/27/22 at 20:21:23

Thanks Tony,

Sounds like a good plan. Didn't want to do anything that could damage the amp! Might give that a try later if no one else chimes in.

Joseph

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 08/30/22 at 17:22:52

Hey Tony,

Talked to Don yesterday, he's sending a new replacement. Don asked about the other( which seems to be fine) saying if I had any more problems with them again just to let him know and he would make it right.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #65 - 08/30/22 at 18:02:36

Excellent news.  Glad it worked out for you.

T.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 03/16/23 at 03:56:09

GroovySauce Quote:
I’m looking forward to using the EML 5u4g in the MKV. In the UFO25TH I greatly preferred the EML over the SE. Running EML in my Torii MKIV now, they are the favorite rectifier I’ve run. I’m waiting to get my MKV until I sell off some of my NOS matched pairs.

They are light and airy, full of texture, nuance and micro detail. The sound stage is wide and enveloping. Highs are shimmering and hang in the air. Bass is the tight, fast and controlled while being airy at the same time. It’s really wild.

Right on

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 03/17/23 at 16:53:12

When I sparked the cryotone rectifier, put all the stock tubes in. Can't say I enjoyed it. Good to know they work...that's about it. Not a fan of the GE 5u4gb rectifiers.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/21/23 at 00:45:44

With the 5u4g checked off the list. Moving the needle . These are my favorite type 80.

Next to try: EML80-mesh

Using the 80s in the MK5 drops the KT 77s down below 135mA. Think this tube is on the wish list. Being a curious person.

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #69 - 03/21/23 at 01:10:18

I have lusted after the original 80 globe mesh plate, only ever saw 1 on ebay and it sold for way more than I wanted to spend!

The EML5u4g mesh plate is my rectifier of choice in the SE84UFO25.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 03/22/23 at 02:48:17

Quote:
I have lusted after the original 80 globe mesh plate, only ever saw 1 on ebay and it sold for way more than I wanted to spend!

These days you got what you got. Might get lucky one day and find one locally. One can only hope.

Agree the EML5u4g mesh plate is a very nice tube.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 04/04/23 at 21:56:06

This was brought up earlier in the thread, but for those curious, the light purple-topped tubes are GE OB-3/VR90s on my Torii Mk IV.

Torii_offset2_-_low_res.jpg

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs