Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:55:18 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 149232 times)
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #700 - 09/04/19 at 02:49:42

The only thing I have to lose  is time and a little money (depending on the drivers purchased).  Everything that I read about open baffle sou d describ3s the qualities I look for in music so it will be worth a try.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #701 - 09/04/19 at 03:37:23

If you enjoy building things yourself, this is a great way to go.  If not, Randy's Betsy Baffles for around $500 are a great way to find out what it is all about!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #702 - 09/04/19 at 18:40:17

I response to Brian's question regarding a bullet tweeter in post 660 and Steve's response in 661, I have a "super tweeter" and can run it easily.   I also have subwoofers available by just flipping a couple switches.  They are pretty tight (after I got the phase on both dialed in) and don't sound bloated at all.

But with the Big Betsy's I never find myself saying "I need to turn on that super tweeter" and I rarely find myself saying "I wish I had the subs on" for a particular track.

In fact, a many tracks I have listened to with the subs on, I have found myself asking "what are they even adding to this track?"

But like Steve said, the Big Betsy is a lesson in bass - bass that matters.  I also believe it to be a lesson in what really matters in music as Steve's video suggests and most of it is in the middle.  I think that's the reason some speaker designers start there and then work their way out - accepting compromises at either end.

Also, earlier I reported on a particular track that made my 1" Oak baffles produce a dissonant tone.  Last night, I finally put on my handles and tried that track again.  It was gone.  So I guess the lesson here is to follow the formula as close as you can because it all matters.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #703 - 09/05/19 at 00:34:59

Quote:
So I guess the lesson here is to follow the formula as close as you can because it all matters.

Intuition is a wonderful thing.  Thank you Steve!   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #704 - 09/05/19 at 00:41:49

Thanks for the encouraging words.  This will be my Winter project.  It is interesting to hear that the super tweeters don’t make much of an impact.  They are a big help with my Omega Super Alnicos.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #705 - 09/05/19 at 03:26:44

Quote:
Also, earlier I reported on a particular track that made my 1" Oak baffles produce a dissonant tone. Last night, I finally put on my handles and tried that track again. It was gone. So I guess the lesson here is to follow the formula as close as you can because it all matters.

It's that kind of crap that makes you believe in the Audio Gods... I mean seriously. I still remember the first time I removed the handle on an original Betsy baffle and immediately put it right back on. The strength in fragility is a demonstration of supreme intelligence of which I'm sorry, we're just not quite there yet. Making or breaking the sound of a speaker by a simple handle in the exact right place is their way of signing their work. They knew it would be discovered.

Steve   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #706 - 09/05/19 at 04:24:04

I thank you, Palomino for your answer to my Tweeter question.
Brian

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #707 - 09/05/19 at 15:00:39

Hi Brian,

I do perceive benefits to the ST in my other build but as I said, not with the BBs.  It could be I have a sensitivity match issue with the F15s being more sensitive, but in my other build I have to use a resistor to take them down a bit or they can be overwhelming.  With the F15, I ran them wide open and maybe that was still not enough to feel the effects.

The Big Betsy's sound stage is so huge and the drivers produce such tight, focused music, I'm still of the opinion that a ST is not needed.

Part of my somewhat impulsive jump to the Big Betsy's was a desire to simplify and while the build was a bit challenging, they are a stupid simple way to get great sound - especially with a 2 watt SET.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #708 - 09/05/19 at 17:39:15

Pal, did you ever stiffen the bottom of your baffles?  I remember that, at least originally, you had just two parallel footers coming off of the back.  Given that the handle makes such a difference at the top ...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #709 - 09/05/19 at 17:49:12

Not yet Arch.

I have some new bass drivers coming in for my other baffles that I ordered a Looooong time ago.  When those arrive, I am going to swap out speakers, disassemble the Big Betsy's - do the base, paint the handles, oil them, wax etc.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #710 - 09/06/19 at 03:52:35

Palomino said:  
"The Big Betsy's sound stage is so huge and the drivers produce such tight, focused music, I'm still of the opinion that a ST is not needed."

These are the most exciting speaker to come along in a long time. They seem to be the most perfect speaker to have come through the Decware collection.  

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #711 - 09/06/19 at 05:32:14

That is absolutely true.  Never before has a 2 watt Zen Triode Amplifier been able to run you over like a monster truck using such a small speaker.  Usually it takes a 28 CUBIC FOOT FOLDED HORN on each channel to accomplish that and with the right vintage high efficiency drivers.

We have never had anything this good...  the F15 driver is similar to the vintage drivers of the 1950's, you know, like that magic bullet that you could never hope to find in perfect condition and even if you could, you could never share it with anyone because there would only be one pair available.  These drivers are GAME CHANGERS for low power tube gear.  Many audiophiles use them in larger ported cabinets, but I can promise you the Big Betsy will have them re-thinking that move.

This is what will make this years DECFEST so exciting.  The main focus being the 25th anniversary Zen Triode Amplifier and matching preamp driving a single pair of voice coils with no subs and only 2 watts per channel.  The Harmon Kardon receivers we grew up paired to Altec Lansings didn't hit like this... well they did, but it was dirty by comparison.  It's a real thrill to find a speaker that will CRUSH everything you have and do it on our favorite amplifier, the Zen Triode 2 watt SET.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #712 - 09/07/19 at 04:06:08

UPDATE LISTENING COMPARISONS

So for the past week I have been enjoying the Big Betsy / F15 combo and largely without the ZROCK2. With my system, I just don't need it except on occasion to fix bad recordings. The first couple days I wondered how long it would take to miss the Big Betsy Jr.s with the Crystal 10 drivers or if I ever would. Now around a week later I found myself missing them. Kind of craving that faster midrange and extended top end. Actually the tone is better because with those you largely do use the ZROCK2 which is a tone tool. It sounds so good with speakers like this that the combination is every bit as good as the Big Betsy which if you'll remember I wondered if it would be when this all started.  I think each speaker is equally good but with different strengths.  If the goal was to get as good or better Big Betsy sound from a more manageable size then this has been a complete success.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #713 - 09/07/19 at 18:13:00

I have just finished up the Crystal 10’s. A tip of the hat to Archie for his suggestion of a box for steel shot pellets. I got extra bags so I could split the shot into 2 bags so it would fit in the box better. Below, I’ve included some photos.

I’m a few weeks in with Listening to them. So far, so good. I finally stopped using supplemental bass because it kind of muddied the overall sound. Overall, so far, I can see that Steve is prolly right about a Zrock helping with the bass. Also, as good as it sounds, I can’t help but wonder how the bass would sound in a proper cabinet. As Steve said, these really were not meant for open baffle use. With that said, though, they are damn good open baffle!  And I do still have a few weeks until they are broken in good. At that point, I will do some comparisons between them and the Betsy Alnico’s with supplemental bass. That will be interesting, as the Betsy’s May well be, as Steve stated, the best open baffle design that exists. I know it is my benchmark...

*It should be noted that my baffles are about 3” smaller than Steve’s and also are made from Baltic Birch plywood instead of the dense hardwood that Steve’s are made of, so apples to oranges in comparison.

A111C6F9-E616-405D-8472-846637D3F159.jpeg

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #714 - 09/07/19 at 18:14:24

With top.

5A32CF0F-3FF0-4D47-A4B2-6B5BE97AEAC0.jpeg

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #715 - 09/07/19 at 18:15:27

Front.

E9D2D66C-0757-4761-8596-AF16E1BD8684.jpeg

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #716 - 09/07/19 at 19:40:18

Geno, nice job!  Do you have a ZROCK2 on order?  Did you hear much difference with the shot?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #717 - 09/07/19 at 20:30:22

Thanks Archie. No, I don’t have a Zrock on order. When I first got my Betsy setup about a year ago, I had had a Zrock with my previous speakers, but didn’t feel like I needed it with the supplemental bass I had with the Betsy’s, so, like a fool, I sold it.

I think the shot has tightened the bass up. Thank you for the great idea!

On down the road, if I’m not satisfied with the Crystals in my Baffles, then I’ll have a bigger hole cut and try the 15’s 😉

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #718 - 09/09/19 at 01:26:16

The difference between using the Crystal 10 in an open baffle with a sub vs. ZROCK2, is that the later is going to develop a lot of midrange tone similar to a cabinet making the Crystal 10 sound full bodied and warm on it's own. In my BBJ baffle the bass is wonderful sounding.  I have yet to hear it with additional bass augmentation from a sub, and don't really foresee it...

The truth is as long I hear a full amount of bass in the music and I can feel it, I don't really care how low it goes until my objective becomes to hear how low my stereo can get with organ music, etc. Nope, it's about how much of it there is, how well it integrates with the midrange and top end, and how big it sounds, NOT how low it goes.  This is the lesson of the Big Betsy loudspeakers that you will all be learning at DECFEST2019 this year.  I have learned it and now so can you.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #719 - 09/09/19 at 01:34:03

The other day when I was measuring things, I did a comparison between the Big Betsy Baffles and the Big Betsy Jr. Baffles and even though it tells you relatively little, here is is.  The Big Betsy/F15 combo in red and the ZROCKED BBJ/Crystal 10 combo in green.

Measured from the listening position in my room.

You'll have to scroll left to right to read it all.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Radarek

Reply #720 - 09/09/19 at 02:11:15

Hello Everyone

This is my first post. Been reading this forum for a while, but now is a finally a time to come in and introduce myself. Lots of great information and tons of knowledge all across this forum. Decware products are on the top of my shop list and right moment is coming soon.

Some time ago I have come a cross Altec 604 e drivers with orginal crossovers.  Since then crossovers were rebuild with new components. I like a lot Big Betsy project and F15 driver been 15" same as 604 in size. I was thinking about building it to accommodate my drivers. Steve, from you previous experience with speakers would this design be a good match for altecs drivers?
Sorry for hijacking this tread a bit.

Best regards

Dariusz Pawlowski aka radarek Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #721 - 09/09/19 at 19:45:14

Hi Radarek,

Welcome to the family.

The 604e drivers have a really low QTS in the 20's... meaning they will have poor base performance in an open baffle which likes 70's or higher. They like a cabinet.  If you want to really go all out and have the room, a pair of the Imperial Horns in our DIY section would be spectacular.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #722 - 09/11/19 at 03:17:31

BIG BETSY UPDATE

Bob Ziegler and I will be building another pair of Big Betsy baffles before the fest starts in 23 days here at Decware in my new shop. This way we can work out many of the details that will help determine pricing.

I will of course post the build here in this thread.

This will be the first time Bob and I have built anything together since I flew to Arizona to show him how to build a pair of corner horns many many years ago.

We have already discussed at length how to make an affordable alternative to the Solid 2 inch thick hardwood models so that everyone not willing to DIY a pair of their own, can afford to own a pair of the official speaker.

Solid pine was ruled out because by the time you join it up the labor is exactly the same as hardwood and I'm not sure it's dense enough.

MDF and particle board were ruled out because as far as sheet goods are concerned nothing is actually better than baltic birch plywood. Even though it is more expensive and we're going to laminate 3 sheets together in a vacuum press, the end result will be ultra high quality and have a similar sound. I'm sure the baltic birch pair will be less than half the price of the hardwood models, so that gets me excited.

Our intention is to offer the Budget Big Betsys in either Black or Clear finish. The pair we plan to build for DECFEST will be a clear finish and at least as thick or thicker than the hardwood models to ensure similar performance.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #723 - 09/11/19 at 13:54:33

I think this is great that you’ll be offering these in a budget build.  I’ll look forward to hearing the different builds at the fest.

I am putting together my BB playlist and have some songs that will hopefully show off what these speakers can do.

If you have ever found yourself thinking that you get great transparency with your tube amp but limited volume or hit, this is a speaker for you.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #724 - 09/11/19 at 16:42:51

I'm looking forward to seeing your vacuum press.  That will be the key to the build -- no voids.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #725 - 09/11/19 at 18:10:33

Great to hear about your plywood baffle build Steve.  If nothing else I want to possibly build a prototype out of plywood and if I like it enough in my own room then build the artistic version of this.  My brother has a very expensive slab of Claro Walnut he would sell me (I think $2k) at his cost that I could make 2 baffles and a short dining room table out of.  The speakers would look and sound awesome - and then I would need to work the electronics end and get your Anniversary Amp and Pre.  1 step at a time....

I have not been to Decfest before - is there a good thread to read what it is all about, tentative plan, etc.?

Best wishes and you truly rock!

Ken

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #726 - 09/11/19 at 18:38:33

This will get your started:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfestcam.html

I've attended the last 5 (6??).

Its about as laid back an audio event as you'd ever attend.  No set timetable other than start and finish.  

It's held at Steve's production facility which is behind his residence in East Peoria.  He has a large yard where some people camp but most get rooms at surrounding hotels.

Great people willing to share their audio experiences and answer questions.  Steve is available to answer questions and generally BS with.
Bob Ziegler and Randy are also there to talk about speaker building and the latest versions of their speakers.

You can see all the Decware products and audition them in Steve's listening room which is part of the facility.  Occasionally, people bring their DIY or other equipment to hear it paired with Steve's gear.  CDs, vinyl or streamed music is always playing.

Generally, if there is a particular piece of gear that you want to hear, you ask and people take turns hearing their requests.  The room is set up so there are two "ends" and the couch flips and speakers are moved around to accommodate different listening setups like vinyl or CD.

People also take turns listening to the music they prefer as well.  They bring their own records, CDs, and thumb drives.  In recent years, there has been more sharing of playlists from Tidal, etc.  I have found it to be a great source of new music.

Listening sessions go late into the night and resume early the next morning.   People float in and out of the fest.

Its just a good laid back, informative and very entertaining get together with nice people who know a great deal about audio.  No hype.  

It also makes a lot of sense if you are looking to buy some of Steve's gear as it can save you a lot of shopping time and actually hear what you intend to buy without worrying about a trial period, back and forth shipping, etc.  

My first fest led to a Rachael purchase and started me down the Decware road.  My last fest led to my 25th anniversary Zen purchase.  I'm ashamed to admit all the purchases in between Wink

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #727 - 09/11/19 at 19:01:21

Thanks for the good advice and great info.  Sounds like something I would enjoy - now I just need to see if I can clear my calendar for 4 days to drive over to East Peoria from the Kansas City area.

Thanks!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #728 - 09/11/19 at 20:27:03

HDDR1, I took the plunge and made the 500 mile drive from Little Rock, Ar. and have never made such a good choice in my decades long audio journey! Come have fun, treat your ears deliciously and chances are extremely good it will be the beginning of a happy journey for you as well!

Joe Lazenby (Lazb)

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #729 - 09/11/19 at 20:31:51

Stoney Creek Resort/Hotel is the closest hotel and it was certainly good enough for me last year that I booked it again this year.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #730 - 09/11/19 at 20:31:58

Oh, and in years past, Steve has also given a coupon for % off your next purchase for Decfest attendees.  If you intend to buy, it can help offset some of your travel expenses.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #731 - 09/12/19 at 04:01:03

Hello radarek.
I am glad you decided to join the communication. I hope you enjoy the talk here.

Brian

IP Logged
Radarek

Reply #732 - 09/12/19 at 15:29:22

Thanks Brian

The talk is what brought me here. I see why Decware is so successful half is the product and half is Steve...

Best regards

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #733 - 09/13/19 at 04:19:47

Ha Ha Ha!
That is so true!

Brian

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #734 - 09/13/19 at 05:18:02

Well said, Raderek.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #735 - 09/13/19 at 05:21:57

Quote:
Great to hear about your plywood baffle build Steve.  If nothing else I want to possibly build a prototype out of plywood and if I like it enough in my own room then build the artistic version of this.  My brother has a very expensive slab of Claro Walnut he would sell me (I think $2k) at his cost that I could make 2 baffles and a short dining room table out of.  The speakers would look and sound awesome - and then I would need to work the electronics end and get your Anniversary Amp and Pre.  1 step at a time....

I have not been to Decfest before - is there a good thread to read what it is all about, tentative plan, etc.?

Best wishes and you truly rock!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, the solid slabs are an exciting proposition! Perhaps we can see you at the fest and you can hear the originals as well as an entire room full of speakers for perspective.  If not, definitely post your builds here so we can enjoy your results with you!

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #736 - 09/13/19 at 16:49:39

I may have missed it, but you should post your Crystal 10 video here Geno.  Sounds pretty sweet to me and I only listened to it on my phone.  You definitely have my attention.

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #737 - 09/13/19 at 19:05:07

Steve,

I really need to get up to your place for DECFEST or another time very soon.  I have been following your products and forums for 3 years now and I flat need to hear your amps, the ZOB, BBB, BBjr, DNA2, and HR1s etc....  I have never heard tube amps other than MacIntosh @ Best Buy (exactly....) so need to hear the real deal with your amps.  I think I want a tube amp (SE no feedback with serious design chops like yours), I think I want resolution like the ZOB or BBjr.  BUT until I hear everything I won't know - it would be awesome if I preferred the BBB.  I strongly suspect at the end of the day I will have to make both and drive it them with your amps.  If I get to the builds anytime soon I will definitely post updates here and share what I learn - I have a few ideas I would want to experiment with.

Thanks,

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #738 - 09/13/19 at 19:29:11

I'll post it now, Pal.

A video of my Crystal 10 baffles:  https://youtu.be/cNq_gHwLa3Q

*Bass is augmented with two 12" Alpha Bass Baffles (from Caintuck Audio) and a REL T5 Sub

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #739 - 09/14/19 at 04:29:24

Well after a long and somewhat trying day I am amazed at how fast it all melts away with the Big Betsy / F15 combo and a Zen TORII MK4.  Wow, what a combination that is.  I just had a demo where the clients were interested to see if DECWARE low power tube gear can compete with their solid state 1200 watt RMS bi-amped system, and the Big Betsy / TORII MK4 spanked its ass pretty bad according to them.  I would hope so, because they're measuring 108dB at the couch and it was louder than that in the hall way.  I had to put headphones on just to keep my head from exploding. Amazingly everything held together just tight as a brick with no audible distortion.  I've never actually heard the speakers anywhere near that loud before, and was somewhat shocked at how WELL they graced through it like it was nothing.  I mean it was beyond seriously loud.  

It was also painfully evident that the TORII MK4 simply  L O V E D  these open baffle speakers, as it does all open baffle speakers.  It was always the amplifier of choice with my Zen Open Baffle speakers, but the same amp on the Big Betsy /F15 combo simply embarrasses the ZOB beyond belief.  It was the first time I head what a TORII MK4 cranked up to the wood can actually do.  Simply amazing.  He wanted the ZMA but after that demo, likely going to save himself a couple grand.

I never heard anything that loud in this building since we moved in all those years ago.  Literally I have never heard anything get that loud in the room without loosing it regardless of power and who is it that comes running through the smoke cloud with the checkered flag but the TORII MK4 with Anniversary mods.  Simply amazing.  Boy if you like bass hit this combo will crush everything. And it will go exactly twice as loud as you can possibly stand.  If you applied the 1dB per beer equation to this combo, you would die of alcohol poisoning before you got the amplifier to clip.  

I've put in my share of  night club sound systems over the years and this hit like that on a night when everyone was on steroids... and the rack of solid state amplifiers and 18 inch subwoofers were about to melt down in unison while everyone mistakes the smoke for dance floor fog machines.  

I was amazed to find the knee point in the listening room is higher that I would have guessed. Most impressive were the damn speakers because they were just setting there, you couldn't even see the cones moving more than a tiny fraction of an inch and yet the building was being wrecked like a live concert.  ZERO stress, distortion or compression.  ZERO.  ZERO.

So it is great to turn on this combo at a 1 watt level and let it just play with the music and my mood.

Yes, this years DECFEST will actually have to have an SPL warning alarm in case someone tries to play these speakers too loud. Probably just a SPL activated orb that floats around the room and shocks offenders with mini lighting bolts.  I'm working on it now.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #740 - 09/14/19 at 04:46:20

Quote:
Steve,

I really need to get up to your place for DECFEST or another time very soon.  I have been following your products and forums for 3 years now and I flat need to hear your amps, the ZOB, BBB, BBjr, DNA2, and HR1s etc....  I have never heard tube amps other than MacIntosh @ Best Buy (exactly....) so need to hear the real deal with your amps.  I think I want a tube amp (SE no feedback with serious design chops like yours), I think I want resolution like the ZOB or BBjr.  BUT until I hear everything I won't know - it would be awesome if I preferred the BBB.  I strongly suspect at the end of the day I will have to make both and drive it them with your amps.  If I get to the builds anytime soon I will definitely post updates here and share what I learn - I have a few ideas I would want to experiment with.

Thanks,

All you need is a little encouragement to actually show up in 20 days 11 hours for the fest. You'll be in the best of company as myself and many of the people who have become regulars put together systems of your choosing so you can hear them first hand.  There is no substitute for that.  You'll leave knowing exactly what speaker and what amp you will have and save yourself years of guessing and second guessing.  Plus the beer, food, and bonfires set a tone someone like summer camp when you were a kid vs. in your face marketing hype and high energy blah blah blah so maybe you'll buy something.  We don't worry about attendees buying something because somehow 10 years later they all have a whole collection of Decware gear and will likely live longer as a result which comes in handy for enjoying it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #741 - 09/14/19 at 18:09:46

Geno, I can't say anything about the fidelity since I listened through my crappy computer speakers but your setup looks fantastic.  I love the grills.

If Steve is to be believed, and I generally do -- blindly, get a ZROCK2 and ditch the subs and sub amp.

I did get a little woozy with the floating sway.   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #742 - 09/14/19 at 20:48:45

Thanks, Adam. The metamorphosis of these drivers is amazing. The change in the last 2 days has been quite something. Listening this morning, I just had to shake my head. And I’m prolly still 30 hours or so from break in. Lii advised about 30 days break in, in an open baffle configuration.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #743 - 09/14/19 at 21:11:02

Hey Jeff, have you got your Crystal 10s up and running?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #744 - 09/16/19 at 18:01:23

Hi Steve, I am looking at the drawing you posted and I am wondering what the dimension of the flat top and bottom are and also what is the width of the base? I am going to cut the panels out on a CNC router tomorrow. When I look at the drawing I am not clear as you call out the dimensions of the boards and it does not seem to match up with the overall width. Using Ash and white oak.  Thanks. Andy

IMG_3686.jpg
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #745 - 09/16/19 at 18:43:00

Andy, you'll have to look for it but in a later post Steve tells us his exact build dimensions.  The drawing was only his starting point.  Steve's post comes after many of us were discussing variations in our build/calculations.

Edit:  I did the work for you.  Look at Steve's post, #200 at the top of page 5. 

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #746 - 09/17/19 at 12:07:14

Quote:
Nevertheless my final shape that I ended up with is slightly more stubby which from an artists eye better serves the 15 inch driver I planned to put in it. So if I measure my pair of Big Betsy Baffles, the actual width came to 33.75 inches. The width at the top and bottom were 22-13/16 and the height came to 42-1/8.

There it is!  Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great post with lots of good info. Thank you all for generously sharing.  I will post more pics of my build ASAP. Thanks. Andy

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #747 - 09/17/19 at 15:31:11

Steve,

How do the Big Betsy Jr's sound with the Torii IV?  I presume the ZROCK2 would still be needed to the same level as before - just curious about that pairing.

Thanks,

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #748 - 09/17/19 at 17:17:08

The pairing is fantastic.  Because of the TORII MK4's love for open baffles, the base performance is more than reasonable without the ZROCK2.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #749 - 09/18/19 at 02:44:39

Cut out the big Betsy panels on the shopbot today and it actually worked! I am pretty excited to build the bases and mount the speakers. Steve, so you know, after hearing your Big Betsy's, not a full day passed before I ordered a set of the 15" speakers from Lii Audio!

bb_shopbot_800px.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Send Topic Print