Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:31:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues with my ZKit1 build (Read 1686 times)
Zan
Verified Member

Issues with my ZKit1 build
05/28/23 at 02:30:41

Hey all! This is my first time getting into electronics. I’ve just finished a wire up of my ZKit1 and I’m getting some funky voltages and no voltage from the tube cathodes.

A: 415V
B: 385V
C: 0V
D: 2.6V

I’m struggling to interpret the schematic to know how to proceed in debugging. I’ve tested all of the resistors and they are coming up with the correct values.

I find this extra confusing because the tubes are glowing which indicates to me that there’s *some* voltage at the cathodes. I could be wrong about that though. I also can’t find and solder bridges and the solder joints look good to me. How do I walk up the chain and test?

Thanks in advance.

Zan

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Re: Issues with my ZKit1 build
Reply #1 - 05/28/23 at 02:45:45

Hard to say but you’ve got really high voltage on the A and B so something is wrong very early in the power input section. Double check your part values there, your connections, and orientations.

IP Logged
Zan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/28/23 at 03:08:34

I can’t see anything wrong at this stage. I did make a post on DIY audio forum because I got the wrong capacitors for the 33uf ones (I used Dayton 33uf polymer caps) but people seemed to think it would be fine that I didn’t get polarised ones.

I’m also doing the anniversary mod so maybe I hooked up the extra caps wrong? Pretty sure it matched the schematic.

All the resistors are showing the right values and the caps I have that are polarised are in the right orientation.

IP Logged
Zan
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/28/23 at 03:09:40

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/28/23 at 04:05:47

I ran those Dayton caps for the anniversary mods for a short time and they worked just fine.
You might try taking the anniversary mods off and just build the basic circuit to spec first. Once i you get it working you can easily add the additional caps back in.
I can’t tell from looking at the photos on my phone- you have the jumpers installed, correct?

IP Logged
Zan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/28/23 at 04:27:00

Oh damn. I installed J6 after I noticed the RCA connectors weren’t grounded but I missed *the very first instruction*. Good catch! I’ll wire in the other five jumpers tomorrow and test again. I think I got it in my head that all of them were related to bridging to mono.

I feel so silly! Thanks for that. I’ll update this thread later.

Side note, this is one of the reasons I love the internet. Electronics is a somewhat overwhelming topic to learn about on my own but the internet and community make it possible  [smiley=cool.gif].

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/23 at 14:00:53

Great! Hopefully once you get the jumpers installed everything works properly.

I have to agree with you. It can be challenging to find others that geek out on audio, and finding others that geek out on building audio is like a whole other level. Between here and the DIYaudio forum I’ve received help a number of times that I never would have had without the World Wide Web.

IP Logged
Zan
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/28/23 at 17:19:35

Quick question this morning, how do I tie the circuit ground and ground plane together? I’m not sure where the ground plane is exposed.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/28/23 at 19:05:12

I don’t think you need it in a metal chassis, but maybe since you are mounted to wood in a metal chassis… hard to say from the photos.
Either way, there are two ground attachments next to the six volume control spots. You can use either of them.

IP Logged
Zan
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/28/23 at 22:04:19

It’s alive!! Thanks for the help! I’m so happy.

All voltages are within normal parameters now. Hooked it up to some crappy monitors and it’s sounding smooth. Hopefully my new speakers arrive soon so I can give it a proper test.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/29/23 at 12:56:36

Glad to hear it is up and running!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print