Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 12:06:11 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 168515 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #100 - 07/18/19 at 20:29:27

Thanks Randy.  I’ll pick up some sandpaper Smiley

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #101 - 07/18/19 at 20:45:39

Well ..... here we go .....

Larger photos here, here and here.

At this point, I will only say that I can only guess what Steve is hearing with the BIG BAFFLES and the 25th Anniversary amp.

The more surface area a baffle has, the more bass it will make.

Good grief .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #102 - 07/18/19 at 20:50:47

Randy,

Initial impressions?

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #103 - 07/18/19 at 20:54:45

Hi Geno,

Still trying to wrap my head (and ears) around what I am hearing.
The drivers have zero break in time, but what I'm hearing so far is positive.

Stay tuned.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #104 - 07/18/19 at 21:00:52

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 07/18/19 at 20:16:01:
Hi Lon,

Very cool ..... https://www.decware.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/yabb21/cool.gif

Nice looking guitar .... and I'm betting that it sounds wonderful.

Best wishes,
Randy

It does sound good. I have it set up with two Seymour Duncan "Cool Rail" and one "Hot Rail" "stacked" humbuckers which can also be each switched to single-coil, and instead of a volume and two tone controls, I have three volume controls and even a phase switch. So many possible sounds, and I get great jazz and blues sounds . . . it's like several guitars in one.

Congrats on that new driver, looks as if it's going to be a great option.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 07/19/19 at 05:24:20

Palomino asked:  "Are there any less exotic woods with decent density and weight?"

American oak in White, Red, Pin or Live varieties would be heavy and hard. Live oak always seemed the densest to me.  Red is probably the most porous.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #106 - 07/19/19 at 17:19:45

Randy,

The first few days the tightness is distracting.  They do loosen up with time.  Also the efficiency is disarming.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #107 - 07/19/19 at 17:25:54

Another thing that happens with the big baffles that doesn't happen with the small ones is that the visual of the baffle is so overpowering it is a mind melter as your brain tries to connect the sound to the speakers.  I have to close my eyes with these big baffles and when I do, I can not tell where they are.  Even in Randys smaller room, the same would be true.

WWW   IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 07/19/19 at 17:28:30

For the adventurous in the Seattle area.  They are only 37" tall ....

https://seconduse.com/inventory/items/708091-S/resawn-white-oak/

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #109 - 07/19/19 at 17:35:10

As far as alternate approaches using hardwoods, there is no reason why a person couldn't cut 3/4 boards into 1-3/4 or 2 inch strips and glue them together to create the baffles. Oak would be a great wood for it and by gluing it up from strips you would have a nice quarter-sawn look.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #110 - 07/19/19 at 17:42:27

This is where I get my exotic lumber.  I add 2.00 a BF to have it shipped to my door.

https://crlumber.com

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 07/19/19 at 20:16:12

In the Chicago area we have Owl hardwoods.  I'm like a kid in a candy store there.  All kinds of exotics.  Huge tree slabs.  Butcher block, you name it.

They do 1-2 cuts for free and a buck a cut after that.  Precision cuts for sure.

They make stuff too.  I had them make me a maple mantle to match my family room floating shelves (which I made) and the maple cabinets.

I am going to put these drivers in my MDF Palomino Audio project baffles that are just sitting around to run them in.  Then I'll decide on my next course of action once I see how I like them.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 07/19/19 at 20:25:38

Man, Pal, I am envious! Seems so many are jumping on the Big Betsy bandwagon. Lii Audio best get busy making more drivers. Sure wish I could jump in but, for now, gonna be happy with my DNA2s. At least until DECFEST!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 07/19/19 at 20:46:40

Yeah, it was a bit of an impulse buy, but Steve's enthusiasm and my desire to get back to a single driver cross-over less design plus the price led to me pulling the trigger.

I usually wait for others to try and/or ponder my purchases for months.

I really like my speakers right now.  I will likely try some new bass drivers but other than that, I think the PAP has run its course.  They are a bit franken-speakers though, and thus my interest in these drivers.  Simplify.

I have exchanged a few emails with Leo from Lii.  Seems like a decent chap.  He is interested in attending Decfest.  That could be fun.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 07/19/19 at 21:01:26

Yeah, sounds fun! Be a lot farther "drive" for him than me! LOL

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 07/20/19 at 00:39:26

I did inventory on surplus butcher block tops I've salvaged from jobs and with a couple of glue-ups I can easily get blanks big enough to cut a pair of these baffles.  My stock is 1 1/2 inches thick and hardrock maple.  Worth the effort and $450 for the drivers?

As always, Steve's enthusiasm is infectious!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 07/20/19 at 04:05:16

Time will tell...

I’ll see how the 1.5” MDF sounds.  The drivers will be a little low to the ground but I am hoping I can get an idea of the sound and if I like it enough I’ll figure out my hardwood strategy.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #117 - 07/20/19 at 06:27:31

It is exciting to know this is all going to transpire into a great conversation as everyone gets them built and begins to compare notes !

This weekend I am going to restore the baffles to their original idea which was to use the vintage Alnico Utah drivers in parallel with the matching Alnico Betsy Baffles.  I'll take some pictures. and report the results.  The first time I did this was the best imaging I ever got, and wonderful timbre with great low-bass and reduced mid-bass which really opened up the sound like a spacious venue instead of an in-your-face 1st row experience.

Tonight I am listening to them with the F15 drivers on the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier, and it is making me realize that none of us really know what the drivers sound like!  I mean, I have been listening to them for the past two days with many different amplifiers, and when I got the UFO25 back in it was like a welcome friend! So then I decided to change the input tube from the supplied 7DJ8 to the warmer 6N5P, and in my room it made the speakers sound more like you would imagine 15 inch drivers would sound like.  Slower, warmer, thicker...  This alone made enough of a change that I no longer loved the speakers in such a supportive way.  In a harder room, it would have been glorious.  So, thank God for DECFEST every year, because it gives everyone who attends in person and everyone who listens in on the live broadcast a real good baseline of how I'm referencing the sound of these speakers.

Obviously being a touch rolled they are going to like a higher grade NOS tube because those tubes have greater focus, speed, and dynamics.  This all helps the 15 inch driver sound more like a smaller driver with greater speed.

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 07/20/19 at 13:05:55

For me, getting a new pair of drivers offers an opportunity to start over and figure it out.  Saying these hold promise is like handing me a new puzzle.  I already have my “design” spreadsheet going.

The info on the tubes gives me a place to start. Thanks.

My goal would be to provide some feedback on how MDF sounds.  I can also put them in 3/4 and 1.5” Baltic birch.  Each of these are around 32-34” wide.  The catch is none of them are the Betsy Baffle shape and the driver is only going to be 6” or so off the ground.  So I don’t know how valid my findings will be.  But if I can get them to sound decent in one of these configurations it will point the way to the next step.

Getting the 25th presented a similar puzzle.  I changed tubes, ICs, speaker wire and even modified my drivers in my OBs. All great fun and when I got there, it was magnificent.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #119 - 07/20/19 at 16:00:00

Palo,
It sounds like you need to make some sort of risers to get the driver up off of the floor. I'm thinking something with "wings" Perhaps with the curves cut on them. Like a "H" frame that raises everything up 16" or so.
Just spitballing here.
Get me the sizes of what you have now and I'll have my new apprentice draw it up.  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 07/20/19 at 17:15:01

With a smallish room area for speakers, I am looking forward to reports of smaller versions of Randy's baffle shape. Looking forward to your reports Randy using the F15s in your normal baffle. Also has anyone thought of doing a pair with the same baffle proportions, but between Steve's and Randy's in size?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #121 - 07/20/19 at 17:49:05

All you gents try to keep in mind what Steve labeled, Randy’s “Sacred Geometry” when designing your baffles. For whatever the reason, the barrel shape, with the driver a lower height from the ground, works. That is why Steve made Big Bertha to scale. There are mystical forces at work here. I really think that, and it makes sense with all Steve’s talk of UFO’s, that Steve and Randy are both aliens. How else can you explain such an off the wall design having these results Grin

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 07/20/19 at 18:26:11

This is what I have to work with:

22 3/4" wide

25 " from the floor to the bottom of the upper driver hole.  There is about 6" from the top of the bass driver hole to the bottom of the top driver hole.  I would cut them off below the top driver to have the same space above and below the bass driver cutout.  

4" from the floor to the cutout for the bottom driver.  Maybe an inch or two probably to where the driver starts (the 15A driver is 6").  I'd have to look at the 15F spec sheet to see what this distance is.

I would probably take off the back "foot" and do something else for the supports.  I have some nice 4X4 oak table legs that a friend in the office furniture business gave me that I might be able to use for the supports.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #123 - 07/20/19 at 18:51:12

Palo,
Project one this Monday morning will be a discussion with my design guys on how we can modify what you have to end up with what Steve has.
Believe it or not this isn't that far off of what we do every day, take something that we already have and modify it into something that we need. Though working in MDF is way easier than 2" thick steel.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #124 - 07/20/19 at 19:33:49

Quote:
I really think that, and it makes sense with all Steve’s talk of UFO’s, that Steve and Randy are both aliens. How else can you explain such an off the wall design having these results .....

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #125 - 07/20/19 at 22:16:53

Wink Wink Wink

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 07/20/19 at 23:47:22

Looking over the LII Audio site, any reason their Crystal-10 wouldn't be a better choice than the F-15?  And maybe scaling down the baffle some?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 07/21/19 at 00:14:29

Just the cost.  It seems to dig a little deeper actually.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 07/21/19 at 01:00:51

I can't interpret the spec's but the graph looks like it extends in both Hi's and Low's but gets as loud.  If I make something I'd like it to equal or beat my HR1s in sound but get MUCH louder.  

One other thing, if it's still on, the Crystal-10s ship with a free pair of F-15s.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #129 - 07/21/19 at 03:35:27

After living with the F15 drivers in a pair of my low boy baffles for a couple of days, I'm ready to share a few thoughts .....

Since this thread is primarily about Steve's BIG BETSY Project, I thought it best to post my thoughts in the forum Steve has generously created for the Caintuck Audio products.

If you wish to read them ..... they can be found here.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #130 - 07/21/19 at 06:46:33

Quote:
I can't interpret the spec's but the graph looks like it extends in both Hi's and Low's but gets as loud. If I make something I'd like it to equal or beat my HR1s in sound but get MUCH louder.  

I noticed this as well but what the specs don't convey is the bass slam of this larger driver. It has 325 HP and 795 FP of torque.  My guess is the 10 inch drivers will have 600 HP and 500 FP of torque.  Both will be great but the brute force of muscle has been proven since the 1950's as legendary for a reason.

Nevertheless I have a feeling before it's over we will find out what the differences actually are. Presently if I compare the Alnico Betsy Drivers with the F15, the Betsy are way faster and a lot more extended but lack mid-bass and low-bass by comparison. Probably the 10 inch drivers from Lii-Audio are going to have a nice balance of both which could eliminate my original Array.  Although the original array featuring the Big Betsy baffle is always going to be unbeatable because of the giant scale it has and the low bass performance combined with the finest of the alnico Betsy drivers I suspect may be hard to beat.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 07/21/19 at 17:29:43

Well, I might have to see if LII's promotion is still on and get both!  One advantage to the 10" is a smaller baffle.  I would like to get efficiency well above the HR1s though.  Is there any way to calculate or predict efficiency from the spec'd numbers?

The horsepower/torque analogy is helpful but how does the lower extension spec tie in?  Do the 10" just go into a region that isn't needed?

BTW, lately my HR1 bass is amazing.  It may be the music I'm currently favoring but I am consistantly getting deep rumblings that I feel in my chest.  I think Ziggy's mods are a big factor.  They seem way better than anything I remember pre-mod.  One thing though is that I'm listening just about as high as I can go with my meters starting to jump.  I'd like more volume.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 07/21/19 at 19:37:12

I have to say between this and Randy’s thread these have me wanting to hear more and more how it all progresses.
I too also hope they will be offered in some form for those of us without a shop (and skills🤗) needed to build these on out own. I can’t get the visual of Steve’s build gone from my head...
Thanks to all, it’s a great read.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 07/21/19 at 21:13:58

Seems that the evolution of speaker design at Decware went from MTM then to radial and now large driver open baffle. Fascinating journey. With all this buzz about 10 inch drivers, 15 inch, thickness of the wood, etc., something mighty profound is bound to result.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 07/21/19 at 21:35:37

I have been thinking along the same lines Archie, perhaps a smaller baffle with a 10" driver. Don't know, but for my needs, I am guessing better top extension may be more important than bass slam. My Torii, not maxed out with tubes, I would welcome a little more headroom in my room also, but it is sounding so incredible, I am not willing to jack it up with VRs and hotter inputs and power tubes. I can't quite imagine 99 dB speakers!

Fun thread!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #135 - 07/22/19 at 00:46:05

UPDATE 7/21/19

As promised, and update about the Big Betsy Baffles set up in my originally intended array.

First here is another picture of the F15 from the back.  Note the F15 is actually grey in color, this pair I carefully changed the color to black.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #136 - 07/22/19 at 00:48:07

This is what they look like tipped back as I prepare to remove the F15 drivers.

I have some ultra great spikes, super heavy duty with balls on the points, but sadly if I install them no-one will be able to move the speakers during DECFEST.  As they are, they slide around fairly easily on the carpet.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 07/22/19 at 00:51:51

I'm trying to figure out what some of these driver spec's mean and I found this site that has some useful information.

https://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #138 - 07/22/19 at 00:53:09

Here they are with the drivers removed, good opportunity to apply some Black Bison wax.

I was polishing them by hand for a long time despite possessing the knowledge that I had a buffer somewhere. What's wrong with me? My arm hurts.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 07/22/19 at 00:54:42

Steve, those baffles are really pretty.  I especially like that you used linseed oil on them.  I'm thinking though that the oak could use a few coats of black satin paint.

And thank you for that good front picture with and without the driver installed.  How important is the recess?  Randy doesn't seem to recess his Betsys.  (Or does he?)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #140 - 07/22/19 at 01:17:58

Here are the vintage alnico Seeburg DDS1 drivers installed.

If I had less speakers in the room, I would spread this out a little wider, however the imaging is wall to wall...
so maybe not.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #141 - 07/22/19 at 01:31:47

Here is a rear view of the complex crossover and wiring used for my array.  If you want the sound to be warm and a touch fat wire the speakers in phase.  If you want no overlap and to simply extended the bass of the Betsy Alnico speakers, then wiring is done out of phase.  That is to say the small Betsy and the big Betsy are wired as a pair either in-phase or out-of-phase.  The imaging is in the category of best I ever heard with this particular out-of-phase arrangement.  The sound stage is perfect and huge.  You are in row 10 or 20 depending on the size of the venue when recorded.

The integration between these two drivers is so perfect you would never know it was two drivers.

Sadly I won't be demoing this array approach at DECFEST because changing out drivers in the baffles during the fest is just asking for trouble.  The F15 drivers will be what we demo the Big Betsy Baffles with.

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 07/22/19 at 01:46:10

Beautiful, and a nice easy "crossover!" Congratulations Steve! I bet the combination is gorgeous.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #143 - 07/22/19 at 02:18:52

The four Betsy array from the sitting position.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #144 - 07/22/19 at 02:20:28

And another shot from the listening position.

I would have to say the imaging of this array is actually better than my personal record holder - the egg speakers.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 07/22/19 at 02:24:45

I sure like the glow and shine the wax is presenting.

Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #146 - 07/22/19 at 02:49:44

Yes, there is something to a natural hand-rubbed finish that you just don't get any other way.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #147 - 07/22/19 at 02:56:32

To quote myself:

Quote:
Sadly I won't be demoing this array approach at DECFEST because changing out drivers in the baffles during the fest is just asking for trouble.  The F15 drivers will be what we demo the Big Betsy Baffles with.

Damnit. If you were here right now listening to this you would never forgive me for not letting anyone hear it.  It is so flawless on literally every level it checks all the boxes.  The disappearing act is just too much to deal with.  The resolution is insane.  Timbre and every other aspect is so right that it probably needs to be heard.  

Warning, if I do set up this array, and you look at the four baffles and try to figure out where the sound is coming from, your eyes will fall out on the floor and roll under the couch... so Just don't do it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #148 - 07/22/19 at 03:28:13

Here is an image of the Big Betsy Baffle array - of what I see when I close my eyes. This is literally no exaggeration. This is what I tend to like in a speaker/amplifier combination... being transported to the venue - like being in a time machine hearing/seeing it as it was recorded...  This image represent my EXACT soundstage, width, hight, depth and overall space.

You can superimpose the image above over the image below.

I'm happy to report that this array and the SE84UFO25 perfectly recreates the above image as though it was on a Startrek Holodeck... but then when you open your eyes everything shrinks 100 times and you see a pair of big speakers right in front of your face in a small little carpeted room.  

quick, close your eyes!

This is by far the best visual explanation of my soundstage that I've ever come up with.  Eyes shut... eyes open... eyes shut again!

Am I blowing smoke up your ass you wonder?  Definitely not.  If the bulk of audiophiles today knew this was actually possible... it would lead to quickly achieving this sound and resolution which would quickly lead to happiness.  I'll probably have this set up until October so if you don't believe me, drive or fly over for a personal listening session and tell everyone here how accurate this image really was.

God I love good sound!

Happy listening,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #149 - 07/22/19 at 04:01:56

Here, I did it.  I superimposed the two images.  This is what I am hearing with this array.

Notice how the listening chair is a balcony seat?  My carpet becomes the edge of the balcony.  You would never want to record on the floor level because all the different instruments would stack behind each other and become a big blur of sound.  From the balcony you can pin-point every sound in space without one ever overlapping the others.  It is perfect clarity.  If the recording was done with two microphones, as all the best ones are, this is how you will hear it.  It is the reference for soundstage reproduction during playback.

See how the small Betsys are nestled in where the bulk of the instruments are, and the big Betsys are reproducing the bigger sounds coming off the walls in the music hall.  It's a near perfect room set up if you want to reproduce sound from this perspective which has always been my goal because believe me, if you can get this to happen, all other recorded music will sound good...no problem.

In contrast, the F15 puts you about 15 feet in front of the grand piano in this same image.  Basically you are nearly on stage by comparison.  That is also pretty thrilling but completely different from this.  This is perspective listening, that is intimate listening or perhaps participatory listening.  Two alter egos of music reproduction.

Here is a smaller image that fits in the frame here without sideways scrolling.

My beautiful listening room as I hear and see it with the lights low.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print