Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:41:53 

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 149238 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #750 - 09/18/19 at 16:11:16

Hehe,  Andy's not messing around! That's pretty cool!

The edges look pretty clean too... be anxious to see how they turn out!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #751 - 09/18/19 at 21:55:15

Andy, That is the only way to do it!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #752 - 09/19/19 at 00:48:42

Has anyone changed the binding posts on their F15s?  I don't care for the way they hold my solid 14 ga wire and I'm thinking of adding silver over copper banana plugs to the wires and silver over copper binding posts to the F15s.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #753 - 09/19/19 at 01:18:45

Archie,

The silver banana jacks on our speaker wire fit perfectly in the hole so that means any banana jack will also.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #754 - 09/19/19 at 01:29:14

Thanks.  Do you think the "guillotine" contact is adequate?  Just to be clear, my F15 binding posts do not have a rear hole, only the spring loaded side hole.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #755 - 09/19/19 at 13:49:14

This is how I connect my BBs to styx wire with silver bananas.  Pretty solid contact.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #756 - 09/19/19 at 17:23:19

Thanks.  I'll get some bananas but I'm still thinking I might change the posts too.  There are some reasonably priced silver over copper on ebay.  All the sellers seem to be in China for this type of thing.

Looking at all of the base metal and plating options it's amazing how relatively poor conductors some of these are by comparison to silver, copper and gold.  Here's a chart I found:  http://eddy-current.com/conductivity-of-metals-sorted-by-resistivity/

Cardas uses Rodinium over the silver plate over a copper base.  The Rhodium is to protect the silver from tarnish but it's a really "bad" conductor.  Seems like a huge step backwards.  Brass is terrible too.  And forget about nickel!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #757 - 09/19/19 at 20:57:32

Cardas makes solid copper versions.... no plating of any kind - you're responsible for cleaning them occasionally.

and if you want some solid copper "split tensioned banana's" C14500 93% IACS Tellurium Copper - go to Douglas Connections and get some of the Furez - best banana I've ever seen and/or used in my life.  These banana's "stay tight"... no matter how many times plugged/unplugged and their is no outer spring barrel to get loose and/or break off like always happens with that type of banana.

https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-tstsb40np-bare-copper-banana-plug-co...

you can get them in screw on or crimp/solder and with or without a barrel to dress them up.
They're also available in Silver if you subscribe to that camp.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #758 - 09/20/19 at 01:03:55

Those Furez look nice.  I like the rubber plug that must keep them tight.  Another company I came across that has all kids of copper with or without different plating is Viborg:  http://viborgaudio.com/en/Product/FASSDFA/

I like those Cardas Cu binding posts.  It's harder to find nice copper or plated over copper posts.  The brass base metal posts seem to work okay but now I'm wondering if copper end to end wouldn't be better.  I'm not sure I'm ready to crack my ZMA but I can't see it being too challenging to try.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #759 - 09/20/19 at 04:27:17

So this will be an interesting side theme...  having become very fond of the Lii Audio Crystal 10 drivers in my open baffle design, I jumped at the opportunity when Lii Audio wished to attend this years DECFEST2019 but since they are in China they instead wished to send their flagship speakers as their ambassadors.  Lii Audio is a small company about the size of Decware with similar goals about hi-fi, so we have embraced their creations and are happy to share them with our customers at this years fest!   

If you've been reading this thread you are up to speed on my impressions of this 10 inch driver.  It was no mistake designing a high-mass hardwood open baffle for it.  The transparency is reference grade at any price league.

So now we have the same driver, in a cabinet that was designed by the owner and designer of the Crystal 10 driver (and F15 driver) so of course we HAD to hear that!

As you can see they make the Big Betsys look small, as well as all the other speakers in the room!  These are probably at least 10 cubic foot cabinets with a very clever design.  The Crystal 10 drivers have an fs of 30Hz and in these giant cabinets they can simply crush you.  100dB of 30HZ at 1 watt without even trying. The bass is so big and deep, as you would hope from a 10 inch driver in such a large cabinet. They certainly don't disappoint.

It's starting to twist my head a bit as they break-in...  The Big Betsy has more hit and bigger bass presence with the F15 driver, but this cabinet has almost an octave lower bass and it's flat bass, not rolled off. It can simply wreck your room with ease and you won't even see the cones moving.  

At first I was somewhat put off by the large size of these speakers, but the sound actually more than justifies it. There is no audiophile or audiogearhead that these wouldn't set a new standard for, like the Big Betsy but delightfully different. The bass is insane. It's a blast back to 1950's when giant speakers and or infinite baffles were popular.

This speaker is proof that real bass comes from speed and cabinet size, not power handling or multiple drivers. When you hear these, especially after either attending the RMAF or watching video reports of the show, you will just shake your head. Flashbacks of the giant speakers, with subs, and massive amplifiers and giant cables everywhere simply sound like a poor impostor for these. A single 100dB driver is kicking some real ass as it outperforms those huge 5 way speakers loaded with 84dB drivers.  It's a contest that isn't even a contest, and the fact that you can beat the high power high dollar world with a 2 watt Zen Triode Amplifier and these speakers makes me happier than shit.

Happier than shit because it proves that the low power Zen Triode amplifiers are actually better performance in all regions than high power tube or solid state.  The bass is tight and natural with WAY more hit and spank.  Trust me, it's like a different planet.  If you go to Mars you better abandon your earthly habit and conceptions because nothing is the same... it's like that when you hear this.

Real 100dB full-range drivers with no peaks and no weaknesses are thank God back to stay thanks to Lii Audio.  I consider it as serious a contribution to serious hi-end as Decware.  Drivers like these we can do great things with!  The designer's cabinet sets a nice benchmark that will be hard to beat.  I mean seriously, this makes hi-fi speakers sound stupid, it really does.  94dB is what it takes to really enjoy 2 watts without feeling restricted.  6dB on top of that feels like you just inherited 500 watts of the cleanest power you ever heard and now you can play the speakers so loud that pictures can literally fall of the walls!  

Another bonus of the large cabinets, is that the bass is not pressure centric.  At very low volumes the bass drops and is still easily heard and felt more so than most speakers in fact.  Very realistic when you can have such depth and scale at such a low volume.

How many hi-fi speakers do you know that can accurately reproduce a subwoofer better than the subwoofer itself?

Fun stuff, and it's real. I know I have to say that because I sound like hyperbole.  rust me this shit is going to re-arrange about 95 people's heads at this years DECFEST2019.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #760 - 09/20/19 at 04:40:28

That’s awesome, Steve. And I love the look of the cabinets. After you’ve had a chance to listen long enough for a good evaluation, I’ll be interested in your opinion of the differences between them and the open baffle configuration. Mine in open baffles just keep getting better. I’m very happy with them!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #761 - 09/20/19 at 04:54:44

Me too!  However as I set here listening to these drivers ease in and relax in these large cabinets it actually has me questioning the OB which is pretty impressive so soon in the game so I would predict that they are similarly equals but in different ways which is to say each has it's own strengths but are in exactly the same league.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #762 - 09/20/19 at 05:08:05

Andy, you're killing me with this only "one" photo crap.  Come on, let us watch!  I am really intrigued by your CNC.  It's mean to post only one pic.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #763 - 09/20/19 at 14:01:22

Speaking of which, will you be doing a teaser video of the Crystal 10 speakers prior to the fest???

Either my brain is adapting or the Big Betsy's have reached maturity.  Bass is so sharp, everything is very clear and the sound stage seems deeper and more focused.

I've had a couple of mind blowing fest moments over the years - imperials with your OBs and zen amp (big cabinet bass), the OTL amp (soundstage).  Generally one every fest or so.  This year could be a double or triple mind blower for sure.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #764 - 09/20/19 at 17:09:07

Quote:
Andy, you're killing me with this only "one" photo crap.

Hi Steve, thanks for the nudge!  I will post everything I have and share a link. I have a few vids of the bot. If you can find one to use, and in my case, someone to help with the operation of the thing, then it is fast and accurate. I used a 1/2" downward spiral bit, 2 1/4 cutting area. Ate it up.  No tear-out at all.

I am planning a trip to Deckfest with my son, Karl.  Looking forward to seeing meeting people and hearing some great sounds.  

Thanks for the inspiration!

Andy

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #765 - 09/20/19 at 18:57:15

I placed an order for some nice Cardas copper binding posts:  https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-ccbp-l-binding-post.html#tab-label-description...

And some copper Furez banana plugs:  https://www.avoutlet.com/av-cables-connectors/av-connectors/speaker/furez-tst-w2...   These will crimp on and soldier to my solid 14 ga wires (they come in various sizes).  They are so reasonably priced, I bought eight to do both ends of my wires.

I checked the F15 driver binding post mounting point and they are drilled at 1/4" so I'll ream to 5/16" for the new posts. The existing wires look long enough to soldier -- just barely.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #766 - 09/21/19 at 04:59:49

Tonight I have been getting the listening room ready for the fest.  I've been listening to all the speakers today and tonight I have landed on the Big Betsy Jr. without a ZROCK2 because my personal anniversary modded unit was used as a build sample this week.  So I have to listen to them just raw with no help whatsoever.  This after spending much of the day listening to the same Crystal 10 drivers in giant cabinets make the earth shake with 30 Hz bass, I figured this would be the worse case scenario.  How could I like them after that...right?  

They are so good with hi-end sources and amplification that I don't even really care about the ZROCK2.  I actually don't miss the bottom octave of bass in fact I find that I forgot it was missing because I get swept into the midrange and imaging and immediacy that they have as a result of the massive projection (crunch factor) that comes with this size and shape baffle.  

So the fact that I actually liked them best of all at the end of the day, and without a ZROCK2, although it would have been nice, speaks volumes for these as a serious reference speaker to try and beat.  I have no doubt that this is going to wreck the serious ears who attend the fest, and I know I keep saying it, but it is happening with 2 watts with lots of headroom.  

Of course it's a package sound if you will.  The most exotic drivers, baffles, amplifiers fed by really good sources.  I will definitely do a teaser video when I get the microphones set up again.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project - Naming it?
Reply #767 - 09/21/19 at 05:16:28

As a side note, since we are destine to make and sell these amazing speakers, we are going to be changing the names to avoid any conflicts or confusion with Wild Burro Audio's 8 inch "Betsy" driver.  

I was originally going to change it to BOB.  Big Open Baffle.  But certainly someone is using that who has just not registered it.  Then I figured, well, Zen Big Open Baffle.  ZBOB.  I liked it at first, along with ZBOB Jr., but then I realized no-one is going to want to spend 1000's on an exotic high mass open baffle called ZBOB.  It would be like writing ZBOB on the hood of a Lamborghini.

I have something far more fitting in mind, and am researching the name and the marks now. As far as I am concerned, at 100dB of warm liquid sound, I wouldn't care if these baffles were the only speaker we made under the Decware brand.  They're that good.  So stay tuned, when I get the name and the mark finalized I will announce it here.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #768 - 09/21/19 at 06:16:11

Steve,

The progress that you have made this year is really remarkable. You've pretty much turned everything that I thought that I knew about audio upside down. Guys like you don't get to retire. I mean, like, ever. You know that, right? Steve?

Randy

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #769 - 09/21/19 at 06:18:31

P.S. I'm pretty sure that I've cracked your code. I bet the name that you have settled on is "BAOB". Which stands for "Big Ass Open Baffle". Am I right, or am I right?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #770 - 09/21/19 at 07:01:33

as you can see by the time stamp, I'm still setting here tripping on my Crystal 10 baffles with the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier and preamp...  

No ZROCK2 tonight, we're playing fully bodied electronic music just to switch things up!

I have to say that the sound is so lucid it should be and absolutely has to be completely illegal in at least 54 countries.... including here. You know, listening to bass intensive music on speakers this tight really takes it to a new level.  It really does. I could reproduce the 30Hz notes, but it wouldn't be as taunt or refreshing as only something like this can be.

I am listening to my soundstage guru of electronic music, Borris Blank.  The CD is YELLO, Motion Picture.  The first two tracks wrecked me on this system, I can't even begin to describe it. The overwhelming term is lucid.  Like beyond swimming in the music, it took it to a higher place.  So tactile, it was like you were swimming in an ocean but had to stick your head into the sound to breath and the energy from it was so intense so clean, like ultra fresh air.

The Crystal 10 drivers are a force to reckon with in the lucid department.  Never heard anything this good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #771 - 09/21/19 at 14:24:59

Well I finally got up the guts to see how the “speakers to be named later” compared to my previous speaker setup.

My previous speakers setup consists of a Dayton AMT pro4, Tang Band W8-1808 and Eminence Alpha 15A in a 1.5” Baltic Birch open baffle.  Crossover is a cap for the tweeter and coils for the other two drivers.  

I also have the two 15” Dayton Reference subs in ~3cf mdf cabinets run by dual Crown amps running in bridged mode putting out about 700 watts per amp.  Combined witht he OBs, this is about $2K in drivers/amp/baffle/cabinets/xovers.  

Also, I have been experimenting with driver combinations and baffle shapes for these speakers for about 2 years to get them where I like them.

The “speakers formerly know as Big Betsys” cost me about $625.  I haven’t applied a finish yet, but I have about 8 hours into the build.  A lot of that was just figuring out the cuts.  Depending on how much difference I perceive in my baffles vs Steve’s, I may double up the wood in my build for another $175.

Anyway, I am happy to report it wasn’t a complete rout.  My previous speakers held up well, but there were some key differences.

Presence: I immediately noticed that my old speakers were very much “you are there” versus “they are here”.  I like both, but the BBs seemed more intimate.

Volume: For my previous OBs (about 94db) I ran them at about -4 to 0db on the TEAC with the Zbit at about 2-3 oclock and the 25th Zen wide open.  

With the BBs, keeping the Zbit and amp the same I typically run -14db on the TEAC and that is too loud on the recently mastered stuff.

Hit/Bass:  My old speakers don’t have the “hit” of BBs.  I immediately switched on the subs.  I got good low end bass but I felt it more in my butt than my chest. With the BBs, I feel it more in my upper body.

Switching on the subs was an interesting exercise because with the old speakers, the subs make a big difference.  With the Betsy’s they don’t and I figured out why.  They can’t keep up with the BBs.  The BBs are so efficient that I can’t get comparable volume out of the subs, even with the Crowns cranked.

Open Sound:  Here is where my old speakers have the edge.  The baffle width is three tier, with the bass driver tier about 22” wide and then about 12” for the mid and only 7” for the tweeter.  So there is less surface area to block the sound waves coming off the walls behind the speakers.  This combined with the “you are there” sound of speakers leads to a more open sound stage.  Keep in mind that the BBs are huge and my room is small (12X16).  And in no way do the BBs have a small sound stage.  Quite the opposite.

Detail: My old speakers were simply not a clear as the BBs.  They sound just a slight bit congested.  I got used to this throughout the course of the evening, but I think when I put the BBs back in, I will notice it big time.

So my old OBs are not headed to the trash bin, but the efficiency combined with the clarity and hit of the BBs make them a more engaging listen.  Then you read through my description above to see what I had to cobble together to get the sound out of my previous speakers and I think the choice becomes very clear for the non-DIY masochist

I can tell from Geno’s video that the Crystal 10s will “wreck” me as Steve says.  I think they are going to give me what I have been looking for in speakers like the Pure Audio Project and Voxativ.  I can’t wait to hear them.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #772 - 09/21/19 at 15:01:27

Palo,
Damn it man, you are going to make me spend some money!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #773 - 09/21/19 at 15:44:00

My experience with the Crystals is very similar to Steve’s. I started out using mid-bass baffles and a sub (instead of a Zrock).  I have finally realized, and as they have broken in more, that they are better with no supplement. Cleaner. The only tweak is a Zstage with phono and Zbit with digital. My amp is a SE84UFO (with 25th mods) and the Crystals are scary good. I can’t imagine how great the 25th Anniversary Zen must sound with them. I guess that eventually I’m gonna have to find that out...

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #774 - 09/21/19 at 19:07:29

Here is another video of the Crystal 10’s:  https://youtu.be/b_yrG3ZzE1g

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #775 - 09/21/19 at 19:26:22

Geno,

Damn!!!!! Those look and sound great. I think I'm going to in for a real treat at Decfest, and most likely a lighter wallet😆.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Nixxuz
Verified Member

Reply #776 - 09/22/19 at 06:01:13

Hi all, I was previously looking into a pair of the F15 drivers in a straight OB, with maybe an Eminence Alpha 15A backing up the low end, since I have a pair sitting around doing nothing at the moment.

But, since I currently have a semi-OB pair of speakers going, I wondered if the magic that seems to be inherent in both the F15's and the Crystal 10's would also show up in the new Lii FAST 8's? I'm curious as I have been using a combo of the Dayton PS220-8's with a little shine on top from some HiVi RT2C's. That portion of the speaker is powered by a fairly modded Yaqin MC13S running KT77's. The "enclosure" part of the speakers houses dual Goldwood GW-PC8-8's in a roughly 3 cu vented box, running off a Crown XLS1000 with it's internal crossover set to around 150hz. I'm thinking, since the cutouts are almost the same, of swapping out the 220's for the FAST 8's. But since they are so new I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has managed to try them yet. $199+shipping is pretty easy on the wallet, especially considering I wouldn't need all new baffles for them.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #777 - 09/22/19 at 14:26:37

Geno,
Nice video, thanks for putting it up!
Your room looks great with those in it!
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #778 - 09/22/19 at 15:02:48

Thanks Scott and HK. They are winners for sure!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #779 - 09/23/19 at 22:00:34

Hey Geno, what are the songs in your two youtube videos?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #780 - 09/24/19 at 04:16:50

Tom, the 2 from today were Little Feat - Spanish Moon (Live) and Vivaldi - Summer (3rd movement) from The Four Seasons.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #781 - 09/26/19 at 12:39:49

Thanks Geno.

I put the Big Betsy’s back in after swapping them out for my other OBs.  I was instantly impressed all over again.  I stand by what I said a few posts ago but can safely add there is better overall coherency to the BB that I’m missing in my other OBs.  Also I think my other OBs have to be driven hard to approach the fullness of sound that I get with the BBs.

I am getting some new bass drivers today that have been on order for over 4 months (well before Steve turned us on to the BB).  I’ll put them in my other OBs and see how they sound.  I’ll run those speakers while I finish the Big Betsy’s.  I ordered and received some Danish oil.  I also made the additional wood braces/supports for the bottom of the baffles out of red oak so I’ll install those.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #782 - 09/26/19 at 17:03:53

Danish oil!!? Palo you know better than to trust the Danes!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #783 - 09/26/19 at 17:35:22

I'll chime in with my Watco (Danish Oil) anecdote.  I was oiling my unfinished butcher block counter tops many years ago and I wanted the best oil finish for max protection.  I used cheap linseed oil on the bottoms and expensive Watco on the tops.  I got a ring of linseed oil on the tops but I didn't worry about it since I figured the Watco would just blend with it.  It turned out the the linseed oil sealed out the Watco and after many coats of Watco (following the directions carefully) the first time water got on it, it raised the grain.  I called Watco to inquire and they admitted that their product was "basically linseed oil."  Yeah, and at 3 times the cost!

"Danish Oil" is a scam.  Linseed or Tung are the real deal.  If you want a more water resistant finish, just add 1/3 part polyurethane with 1/3 thinner and 1/3 linseed and use like a straight oil.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #784 - 09/26/19 at 17:45:47

Its basically linseed oil that has been polymerized.  I really just looked for the lightest finish that had the best reviews.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #785 - 09/27/19 at 16:07:12

Boiled Linseed does give an amber tone to the wood.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #786 - 09/27/19 at 16:25:40

I found some comparison on the web and this particular brand of linseed was the lightest.  I am not that hung up on it but I want to experience doing a linseed finish.

I got my acoustic elegance 15" drivers last night and put them in.  So far, they are the only drivers that match the punch of the F15s.  Maybe exceed it, but $$$$$.  If I get a chance, I'll update the Palomino Audio Project thread.  They are very nice drivers.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #787 - 09/27/19 at 16:38:46

I just buy what's in the hardware store.  Many years ago I'd buy it in 5 gallon cans.  Those were the days when I learned how combustive a wet rag could be.  I walked by a smoking rag sitting on top of a pile of my wood flooring.  Oops.   Roll Eyes

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #788 - 09/27/19 at 17:35:33

So which version of the Acoustic Elegance 15" did you get?  If I were to build a 2 way open baffle those would be on the top of my list to handle the lowest frequencies using a simple inductor.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #789 - 09/27/19 at 17:41:57

LO15 with a simple coil, crossed at 250hz.  I think you could easily go higher.

Seems louder than its stated sensitivity.  Could just be a good match with my 25th.

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #790 - 09/27/19 at 19:00:58

For someone that doesn't want to DIY and cannot get away with the aesthetics of the Big Betsy in my livingroom, would you recommend the Crystal 10 speaker by Lii Audio?

I showed them to my SO, and she fully approved them. Even knowing they are large.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #791 - 09/27/19 at 19:28:58

Based on Steve's account and what I heard in Geno's YouTube videos, I would say yes.  The people with the driver might offer a better opinion.

You could also consider Randy's smaller baffle for the L15.  It just depends on budget.

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #792 - 09/27/19 at 19:56:56

Thanks. I'm interested in Steve's take on the differences between the BB and Lii's Crystal 10, since they're both in the room. However, I doubt I'll be able to get away with an OB at all due to the finished look. My wife really likes the Crystal 10. I'm blessed that way!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #793 - 09/27/19 at 20:00:01

Did you see his comparison earlier in the thread?  Or are you saying you did?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #794 - 09/28/19 at 00:19:33

As I mentioned in an earlier post I decided to replace the binding posts on my F15 drivers and I added banana plugs to my speaker wires (both ends).  I used solid copper posts and plugs.  I had quite a learning curve as I attempted to soldier in a relatively tight and hard to get to space and to something which was a huge heat sink.  Maybe not the prettiest job ever but if I didn't actually improve my sound, I'm having one heck of a placebo effect.   Cool

IMG_2761a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #795 - 09/28/19 at 00:21:00

The really hard part:

IMG_2759a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #796 - 09/28/19 at 01:16:17

Hey Archie,

I wonder if you have a solder gun? If not, more power really makes a difference soldering those heat suckers. Heating faster, it is also more focussed, in and out faster helping avoid damage to things when you need a lot of heat to get a good joint.

During my several year amp modification trip, Cardas Rhodium Flashed Silver on Copper binding posts were recommended as very good and very popular by a long-time DIY'er and parts provider. At that point, I had done quite a lot of power supply bypass tuning, improved volume pots, coupling caps, improved RCAs, some resistor and wire tuning..... Everything that stayed was a sound tested improvement, mostly one thing at a time in order to fully identify results.

When I replaced the stock posts with these Cardas, there was a fair bit more to hear because the amp had become more responsive and transparent, but both my wife and I thought the binding posts were the biggest single improvement to date. And there were some big ones before! Luckily had a solder gun, so, though harder to solder, it went relatively easily.

So for my preferences, experimenting with lots of caps, parts, wires, cables, tubes... the Cardas Rhodium flashed Silver on Copper posts are pretty world class sounding regardless of theory of conductors. Earlier on in mod work, by some technical views, even more egregious, I had really liked a Rhodium plated Furutech IEC in the Torii, to me a notable improvement also over stock, more solid and open. So I was not concerned about the Rhodium "flashed" binding posts. This is from my notes after changing to the Rhodium plated IEC: "Though similar in clarifying across the spectrum with the Jupiter VT/Mundorf Silver Oils in the HR1s, and to the Jupiter Coppers coupling caps in the Torii MKIV, in many ways it is a better change than any caps or tubes I have tried. Once burned in and settled, the IEC was more pronounced and complete in clarity without any problems. Clearer, more micro detail, better bass resolution, quieter, sweeter..."

Though Rhodium is not for everyone, and some designers use it better than others, and, even for better designs, synergy is still the bottom line... I think tech specs can be quite useful, but sound is always the final determinant for me.

I have not heard your pure copper posts, but am impressed with Cardas, and can imagine they would sound great. It is good to hear how much you are enjoying your system!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #797 - 09/28/19 at 03:34:48

UPDATE

Bob Ziegler is here and we have the baltic birch to build both the Big Betsy and the Big Betsy Jr.  I think we will probably dive into it after breakfast tomorrow morning.

Today all day and even as I write this, we have been in the center of the what is presently the largest storm on the planet.  It's been a little hairy as we were almost hit by lightning this morning, and getting nearly flooded complete with near tornado misses... Bob's just loving it.

This is the real time lighting map as of minutes ago.

Anyway, I'll take some pictures of this new Baltic Birch Big Betsy Build as things progress and post them tomorrow night.  Should be fun!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #798 - 09/28/19 at 03:40:13

Have the Big Bettys, or any Lii F-15 speaker, been heard with the Single-ended Pentode MINI TORII amp?

I am especially wondering how the sound would compare to the SE84 Anniversary amp.

Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #799 - 09/28/19 at 03:48:26

I hope you have no storm damage!

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Send Topic Print