Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 01:20:41 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 19388 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

What Have You Been Listening to lately???
03/21/23 at 17:19:28

Guys,

With the 'What's Spinning' thread causing crashes, (when posting from an iPhone, which,  out of convenience, is my preferred method) , this is an alternative (and experimental) new thread to see if something new might work better.

If this results in no change (which I imagine will be the case), it can be quickly ignored.

Let the experiment begin - go forth, and be photo postful...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #1 - 03/21/23 at 17:23:48

Testing 1,2,3…

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/21/23 at 17:27:42

Easy, peasy, with no issue from my iPhone.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/21/23 at 18:09:56

I'm in. Nice music for YARD (Yet Another Rainy Day):

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/21/23 at 19:16:52

i haven't done any serious listening. My new DSD DAC Mk2 from PS Audio was supposed to be here by FedEx on Sunday. As we were not necessarily going to be here all day Sunday to sign for it, I paid 12 Dollars to have that moved to Monday. Monday morning it showed on the truck and then a few hours later an "operational delay" which turned out to be an all day one and it is supposed to be delivered today, hasn't shown up yet.

In preparation for this new one I moved my modded DSD DAC from the main system and moved it into the place of my OG DSD DAC that in my headphone system. That was a decided improvement in sound as I suspected; that OG will go back in trade for the Mk2--I'm being given full price for the OG, 2/3 in a discount and 1/3 as a credit towards a future purchase.

When I'm back to listening I'll probably contiune in my OG listening thread. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 03/21/23 at 19:24:18

Sorry Lon. There is nothing worse than expecting a delivery (especially concerning audio equipment) and having it end up late!

I know this latest DSD directstream is gonna be fantastic. Keep us posted on how it sounds going forward.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/21/23 at 19:42:04

It IS frustrating. But it's not as frustrating as waiting many months for a product to be built and shipped.

Oh. . .wait a minute. . . .;)

Yes, I think this is going to be a fantastic DAC by all reports so far. I have high hopes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 03/21/23 at 20:54:30

That sucks Lon. Not just for you, but I've been planning on living vicariously through your upgrade .

I spent a bunch of money upgrading my digital a couple years ago, I'm not doing that again for a long long time.

Also, to get back on topic, an old favorite I haven't listened to in a while. Also one of the greatest albums ever made. Uploaded instead of linked, just for the heck of it.

51zLANWcbHL__SX425_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/21/23 at 22:24:06

Now it suddenly went to delayed--expected by end of day tomorrow.

&^%$

This is the worst I've experienced from FedEx.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/23 at 23:51:24

You’re getting your $12 worth! Sorry, shipping delays are the worst. I once had a center channel “delivered” turns out it was up the street for a week before the guy drove down to me. That was a real fiasco. Feeling your frustration, I tried replacing brake lines today and was given the wrong part. My truck ain’t moving til Friday at the earliest now.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/22/23 at 00:15:08

I'm shrugging it off. I'll just dart out for groceries first thing in the morning and then hunker down and wait (AGAIN) and hope that it arrives earlier rather than later and I can get some set up.

Gives me a chance to listen to my living-room system a bit more . . . not a bad thing, sounds pretty darned good.

I feel your pain about the brake parts. My worst brake part scenario was when I was trying to redo the brakes on my '64 Alfa Romeo at the end of the 'seventies. They had not imported Alfas to the US until '66 or so and all parts had to be ordered from Italy. I waited three months for the parts to come in. . . and they were not correct. I was lucky and found someone who did have the parts in a few weeks but. . . man that was a drag. I loved driving that car (1600 Spider Veloce).

Mine didn't look this nice. One day I may have a mid-sixties Italian again. That's my kind of car.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/22/23 at 03:34:57

At 6’7” I’d would need to pull the front seat out! The thing that drives me nuts about these brake lines is road salt led to brackets rusting, as they rust they slowly clamp the rubber lines closed.

Anyhow, finally getting to sit down and listen. Burns Vista Social Club’s Lost and Found.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/22/23 at 10:12:35

I'm 6' and I was comfortable as heck in it, even with the removable hardtop on. It actually had only storage space behind the front seats and they went back pretty far. What a car that was. It got great gas mileage and had a 25 gallon tank. The worst downside was. . . it had no heater!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 03/22/23 at 12:52:22

Robert Drasnin - Voodoo (1959)

This is a very interesting recording. Described as ‘exotica’. One of the highest in SQ in my collection. A YouTube discovery from a few years ago. I find myself coming back to it again and again. Not for everyone, I know, but I have grown very fond of it.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 03/22/23 at 16:25:30

Wayne Shorter isn't my favorite thing on the menu, but I'll order it once in a while:

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - 03/22/23 at 18:41:36

More music for a rainy day:

Don't let "Schoenberg" scare you away. This sounds like Mahler or Richard Strauss, or even Wagner.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #16 - 03/23/23 at 12:19:13

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/23/23 at 12:58:12

I'm going to go play that one today ... again.
Great album!

I'm still working my way through my Duetsche Grammophon collection.
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/23/23 at 15:41:58

The last music played a couple of days ago was Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyranth".
It seems that is where I'll be headed with the weather breaking and the Charoit just becoming an access corridor to storage of outdoorsy stuff Smiley

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/25/23 at 00:59:54

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 03/25/23 at 16:46:14

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 03/25/23 at 17:06:20

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #22 - 03/25/23 at 20:42:40

Took advantage of the PS Audio’s March discount and ordered Zuill Bailey’s “Bach Cello Suites” from Octave records on vinyl.   I originally streamed this to become familiar with the recording.    Yes it’s all the rave… phenomenally recorded and mastered.  It’s dead silent with black backgrounds and nice decay.  The music filled my large room with vaulted ceilings with big sound.   This album is well worth the money.  

Surprisingly…..when I ran it through the Spin Clean before it’s first play… I found a hairline piece of vinyl approximately 1/2 inch long that came off in the water, as well as a few small vinyl bits.  Didn’t expect that!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 03/25/23 at 20:46:09

I have the SACD set and can report that it too sounds fantastic. Perhaps not my very favorite rendition of these suites, but up there!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #24 - 03/25/23 at 20:53:26

Lon…I’m currently on album 2 of 4 and I’m truly enjoying it.  Very detailed and captivating.  I decided to switch things up, and play it through my Torii.  Can’t wait to hear this again through my Zen amp!!

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 03/25/23 at 21:07:00

I can only imagine how good that vinyl must sound. Glad you took a chance on it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/25/23 at 23:32:52

Hi, Dominick.
Living under a rock, I had not heard this selection, Zuill Bailey’s “Bach Cello Suites”.
However, Tidal came to my rescue once again. I let it stream for a while, but it did not take long for a kind of "permanance" to set in for me.

It's almost like there should be a seperate genre for “Bach Cello Suites” since there are SO MANY recordings out there.

Very nice indeed! I feel the warmth of a future purchase building.
Thank you.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/26/23 at 05:07:08

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #28 - 03/26/23 at 19:06:33

DD,

Yes there are many renditions of the Bach Cello Suites…this one….esp. on vinyl was a real treat.  If you are considering vinyl…PS audio is running a special for March on a nice discount.  I would grab it…it’s worth it.

Now I’m just streaming through Roon  Joe Pass & Ella Fitzgerald “ Easy Living”.  Very intimate session… it’s just a guitar and vocals.  Very good recording and Joe Pass doesn’t overshadow her vocals.  Two legendary performers team up to give you great listen.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 03/26/23 at 20:16:06

Those Joe and Ella LPs (there are more!) are wonderful.

From the shelves. . . .

This one came some months back and I listened to the first disc a few times and didn't get to disc the second. . . correcting that now.

Elvin Jones "Revival -- Live at Pookie's Pub" Impulse Japan SHM-CD disc 2

Okay but not great sound. . . but ELVIN!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 03/27/23 at 22:24:13

With the right recording my 300B amp makes the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Recorded or in real life. This is one of those recordings:

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 03/28/23 at 17:07:39

Here's my entry for the Bach 'Cello Suites:

I love the pieces and have many recordings, including 3 different Janos Starker. But this is one I reach for often.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 03/28/23 at 17:31:50

I am not sure what my favorite is. . . this release of the suites is among them.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #33 - 03/30/23 at 02:09:43

This is from this mornings coffee listening session. Trouble with the site kept me from being able to post.

Great recording!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/30/23 at 09:17:30

I found this one to be presented as intimate. Finely detailed and nicely laid back.

Warning up the system in prep for Glenn’s tube A/B video.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 03/30/23 at 12:23:53

I went with this along with coffee this morning.

I could not get on yesterday either, Geno. It was so nice outside, though, I did not spin much until later in the evening.

I am still receiving the same ERROR message this morning, then it just goes through after a Refresh. Something is still going on with the site.

Lee_Ritenour_Festival.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 03/30/23 at 12:56:30

Things are working well for me on the site this morning! I hope it improves for you.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #37 - 03/30/23 at 19:00:15

Hi DD, Lon and John! (Sounds like a cool name for a band) Grin

Things are back to normal for me with the site. No issues today.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 03/30/23 at 19:19:29

Hi Geno! Yes, the forum seems to be operating quite well today. My OG Listening thread is humming along. Wink

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #39 - 03/30/23 at 19:25:14

I was in a Monk mood this morning (MMTM).

FWIW I didn't have any trouble getting on the site yesterday, but there were a number of threads and that were broken, including I think this one. Things seem like they are back to "normal" today.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/31/23 at 09:55:05

Yeah Geno, I noticed something off here two days ago. Must have been an overload of traffic on the net. There was a lot of prank phone calls to schools about active shooters in PA that day.

How about DD LonJon. Sounds a little catchy Cool

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/31/23 at 19:51:03

I am calling my latest (mass?) music acquistion the "stack of stuff" for now.

I am astounded at the fact that she felt the need to warn me that there was probably nothing left in those boxes, since so many people had already scrounged through his albums for over a year.
Mainly because there is some cool stuff in this stack.

From the stack of stuff, I find this oddly relaxing for a rainy day, which we have today, in spades.

Current set up is perfect for some psyche-head sixties music, too.

Discogs_Zombies.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/31/23 at 21:00:21

Oh man DD! The Zombies! It has been a while but "Time of the Season" was one of my faves back in the early 70s. Spirited organ playing and smooth harmonies was cherished by I. Even though it is a compilation it surely would have been snagged by me rooting thru the boxes.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 03/31/23 at 23:25:14

It's a good band, JBz! Maybe check out some of their other albums?

They are actually a band that should have done better than a One Hit and Done band.

There are many of those great bands out there from this era.
Smiley

Keeping with the '60s theme, "After Bathing At Baxter's" from Jefferson Airplane. "Crown Of Creation" to follow. Good stuff.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #44 - 04/01/23 at 03:39:11

My home team when I was growing up: Mehta and the LA Phil. Lots of great (mostly late romantic) music well played and recorded.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #45 - 04/01/23 at 17:19:06

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #46 - 04/03/23 at 03:25:34

Björk - Debut

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #47 - 04/04/23 at 21:04:29

Martinu was one of my "lockdown projects" and he quickly became one of my favorite 20th century composers. This is obscure, even for Martinu, downloaded from Qobuz, but I like it a lot and the Prague Philharmonic Choir is an added bonus.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 04/11/23 at 15:41:27

Listening to this at work this morning - hope I don't get fired, cause it must be played loud Smiley

https://youtu.be/KqpWTC-rvhQ

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/18/23 at 10:48:33

From the shores of the Youghiogheny River, Robin Trower "Bridge of Signs" flac rip and "For Earth Below" vinyl/flac rip all on hard drive.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 04/19/23 at 11:28:29

It's been a while since this one was played. Good mood set for the upcoming sunny spring day. Rip to flac.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/19/23 at 11:51:27

Next up Don McLean "American Pie". Have a great day all!

John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/19/23 at 18:24:49

I had to share this.
I have lots of new music to explore and one box was full of jazz with half of it being Duke Ellington.
Since I only owned three Ellington LPs before, this box multiplied my Ellington collection by a factor of eight!

This one I had to clean up and play right away. There was nothing in it - it was clean.
I know it's not one of the more desirable releases, according to Discogs, but I am pleased to have it. It sounds wonderful!
It's their pic.

Ellington_Jazz_Party.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 04/19/23 at 18:59:19

That's a fantastic album in any pressing!

I also have "Jazz Party" -- the mono release, a Six Eye Columbia. It too is a fantastic listen. Jimmy Rushing, and Dizzy Gillespie on board make it a fun one.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 04/20/23 at 00:01:17

This one is a "Six Eye" Columbia release as well.
Most of the other Ellington albums are mono and I am not as averse to mono as I used to be.

I mean I deliberately made my garage system full mono for a number of reasons.
One of which, when you have a large "voice" even in mono, it still fills a room floor to ceiling, past the walls and even farther beyond sometimes, depending upon the recording.

I know many would not listen to Eddie Arnold, but one recording I have I swear his "mouth" is twenty feet tall, establishes itself below the floor and his piano is forty feet wide, from a mono recording.

I sometimes look up and have to pause a minute because I heard something fabulous coming from behind me. I know it's a phasing trick of how the recording came out and the way the reproduction interacted with the room, but the depth, height, width we can achieve with pure mono can not be discounted.

I am anxious to continue my exploration of this stack of stuff. Most of what I have pulled out has proven to be quite a bit above a VG or a VG+ grade, you might find commonly.

My grading system, I call them closer to "cherry" meaning they do not look touched for the most part.

It seems that the ones he archived in this way and placed in special boxes are a measure above the typical old record grade most people expect from a sixty year old recording.

Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/20/23 at 15:43:06

Another beautiful album, does not look touched.

I don't think this is Meldau's first album, but it seems to be one of his first from what I can find.
It's a nice listen. I have both volumes. I have not heard Vol. 2 yet. It is in perfect condition as well.

This is why it will take months to go through this stack of LPs!
I can not remain on task.

Brad_Meldau_New_York-Barcelona_Crossing_Vol__1.jpg

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/20/23 at 21:17:31

Almost "A Capella" all the way :

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 04/21/23 at 04:43:41

Portico Quartet. Session available in higher resolution on most platforms:
http://m.youtube.com/watchv=PzoctG9Qn94&pp=ygUPcG9ydGljbyBxdWFydGV0

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 04/21/23 at 15:18:30

A really nice Verve. Duke Ellington is hard to beat, but with Ella? Wow.
This one is the double LP.
Amazing condition, except for some scuffing on the jacket. It has obviously been shuffled around some before it entered caring hands. The discs are perfect.

"Mack The Knife" starts this one off. I love it!

Ella_And_Duke_At_The_Cote_DAzur.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 04/21/23 at 15:21:26

Yes, wonderful music. I'm a Duke nut so I have this material, but within a multi-cd set that Verve released of the entire recorded output of the concerts at Antibes that year (most without Ella). Incredible music. Ellington rules.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 04/21/23 at 15:30:35

I have actually enjoyed and sometimes even preferred many modern remasters of classic LPs.
I'm guessing that your CD collection sounds great.

I wouldn't call myself a Duke nut, but I don't want to miss one either.

There is a local university radio station that does an afternoon "big band" show and it is coincidentally on during my drive time. If they are on the air, I'm playing that while I commute!
I slow down and just listen.
Radio does not often do much for me, but in a car, yeah. Especially with some BB music playing!

This show kind of brought me back to Duke after I thought I had heard it all. Boy, did I have some lessons ahead!
Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 04/21/23 at 15:40:51

When I first got into Duke I thought the earliest "jungle" stuff was the best. That was forty years ago! Then I became a huge fan of the Columbia era--the fantastic sound drew me in. Then the period I liked least, the last decade, drew me in. Then I went into the thirties and forties. . . and realized. . .Duke was alway so deep into music and had his incredible stable of musicians to draw on, write for, and inspire and be inspired by, that all decades of Duke are worth exploring.

Also the more I listen to jazz as a whole the more I realize his influence as a pianist, writer and arranger and bandleader is pervasive and deep.

My favorites of his change, but I always love listening to the Ellington Orchestra.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/21/23 at 19:00:58

Ellington's influence can never be ignored.
When I first began "trying" to get into jazz in addition to my electric hard rock and acoustic bluegrass influences, I was mostly put off and it took years for me figure out that is/was because all my "friends" were trying to get me to enjoy smooth stuff.
I mean I've heard enough Earl Klugh that I get an almost Pavlovian vomitous response if I'm not prepared to be disgusted.

I know I am attracting hate by being so cruel and singling out one artist I'm done with, but it took me a while to find what good jazz was. I'm talking about my early twenties.
I love all the bop guys and most any sax player worth his reeds and brass players worth a fresh spit valve cork.
Singers came later for me and Big Band orchestra, even later.

I have "discovered" Duke Ellington in several ways over time, get full and leave. But, I always return and find something I had not experienced before.
I'm here now and I have quite a lot more music to play, right in my hands.
I don't see myself "leaving" again.
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 04/21/23 at 22:06:12

I'm done with so many artists it's not funny. I can be happy for those who like to listen to them but I don't want to. When I split away from rock and music on the radio in the 'eighties there was little going back for me, I hear that music now and I just don't want to. Jazz, Brazilian, classical, that's where my listening heart is.

Ellington had the whole history of African American music within his work, and that work can be explored over a lifetime. The Maestro.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #64 - 04/22/23 at 17:39:51

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #65 - 04/23/23 at 03:07:04

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 04/23/23 at 05:03:13

I love Yes, Geno. Been a few years since I’ve listened to them. Thanks for the reminder. The Lii’s reproduce that drum in the intro of this track with uncanny realism. Going down a Yes rabbit hole now.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 04/23/23 at 11:10:22

April 19th's sunrise(yes insert pic is the sunrise deep in the Youghiogheny River valley) most definitely planted a seed to play this one at weeks end.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 04/23/23 at 11:23:32

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 04/23/23 at 12:22:35

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/23/23 at 13:36:07

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 04/23/23 at 15:26:46

You know how sometimes you are stricken with an earworm that won't go away and the only way to kill it is to find that song and play it?

"Give It Away" was stuck under my hat yesterday and I awoke with the same affliction, so I went to find this on Tidal and beat the song out from between my ears.

Now, I've heard this song a thousand times on more than a dozen systems, and I kind of like it.
When I worked in a portrait studio there was  fellow, a little older than the average youngster SO into the newly emerging Alternative scene, who tried SO hard to be cool.
He played Alternative constantly and this song came up fairly often.

Oddly, this morning hearing it on my F15s and Decware amps for the first time ever, I heard a jaw harp playing in the background cacophony. I never knew they had used one of those large jaw harps. I had never heard it before.

Just to make damn sure the earworm was dead and gone, I played the song through a couple more times. I do "kinda" like some of the music these guys put out.
They perform with a very rare high level of energy that appeals to me.

RHCP_BSSM.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 04/23/23 at 15:45:38

Geno, I also love Yes!
I'm going to dig some out and have a listen later today.

I played "Close To The Edge" recently and enjoyed it quite a lot!

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 04/23/23 at 16:18:11

That’s about the only album I ever got into by the RHCP, DD. Gonna have a listen again right now. Several of their others are enjoyable for a spin but lack that long-term listenability.
I think one of the things I enjoy most about hifi is the range of music it allows me to appreciate. On any given day I can have an infinite range of music styles playing and enjoy them all.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #74 - 04/23/23 at 16:19:36

Good morning DD and Manny. One of my favorite groups for sure. For me, the trio is The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge.

John, following the Yes post with King Crimson was very appropriate.

DD, I love me some Chili Peppers too!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #75 - 04/23/23 at 16:25:44

Hey Manny.

Looks like we posted at the same time.

The last thing I listened to last night before bed was, Starship Trooper. The full range of sound on the open baffles with some volume is very special Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
jameslayton
Verified Member

Reply #76 - 05/05/23 at 08:50:32

Nice. I love music

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #77 - 05/06/23 at 19:01:07

Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/06/23 at 21:39:40

Elina Duni
Partir
Released: 2018
Engineer: Gérard De Haro

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/07/23 at 02:59:08

Geno, "Cry Of Love"  and  "Rainbow Bridge" are two albums I have in mind as what we could have had more of, if things had gone differently in September 1970.

... and to think where his music could have gone with his latest interests at the time.

I was at school, had smuggled a contraband radio into the school building and I just walked out, headed eight miles home when I heard.
I was done!

I recently bought the modern Kramer remasters of those LPs and all his studio albums that Kramer had reworked.
Music I never want to be without!
Wink

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #80 - 05/14/23 at 16:12:10

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #81 - 05/16/23 at 13:09:53

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 05/16/23 at 15:58:39

From the shelves

Art Hodes Back Room Boys "Low Down Blues" Blue Note/TOCJ Japan cd

Fantastic music, really good sound on cd.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #83 - 05/16/23 at 16:00:24

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #84 - 05/29/23 at 16:46:42

This is one of the best acoustic recordings I’ve heard. They are in the room with me😉

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 05/29/23 at 17:09:29

"The Complete Freddie Hubbard Blue Note & Impulse 60's Studio Sessions" Mosaic Records, disc IV

From the shelves

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #86 - 05/29/23 at 18:34:00

This is a great one to use for testing bass - it has a fat bottom Wink

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 05/29/23 at 19:05:20

That's a good one. . . one of two Dr. John's I have.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #88 - 06/15/23 at 03:16:47

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 06/15/23 at 15:23:18

Shirley Horn "Loads of Love" Mercury LP

Focus on Ms Horn the singer. Jimmy Jones arranged and conducted.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 06/15/23 at 15:54:48

Joyce "Language and Love" Verve Forecast cd

Early Joyce, full orchestration on some tracks. MELLOW.

Brazilian LP cover

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 06/15/23 at 21:46:25

From the shelves

I'm revisiting this one. It has so many elements that I love about Ellington records. And the sound is great.

Ray Nance!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #92 - 06/16/23 at 14:12:30

Thelonious Monk "The Classic Quartet" Candid cd 2023

After waffling I decided to order this new cd even though I do have a budget early cd of this in storage. This new remaster certainly would sound better than that cd in a side by side comparison. And it's a great performance.

On the same day in Tokyo the Monk Quartet did this tv show performance, and a concert released by Columbia/Sony as a 2 disc set. The latter is stereo, this TV performance was recorded in mono.

From amazon.com

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 06/16/23 at 14:48:48

Jack Teagarden "Jazz Greats No. 26" cd

Some great Teagarden sides compiled, restored and remastered by J.R.T. Davies.

Teagarden's music always lifts my spirits.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 06/16/23 at 17:58:04

From the shelves

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #95 - 06/16/23 at 18:03:35

Currently sitting in my work truck and streaming music in Tidal.  This one from Leo Parker is very good.  Going to have to listen to it again on my reference system when I get home from work.   I may have to seek this one out on vinyl.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #96 - 06/18/23 at 21:21:22

Listening to this beautiful cd

From the shelves

"Jacques Pelzier"

While thinking of my Dad.

354464803_10230598696099155_3057736172752288301_n.jpg

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 08/16/23 at 23:54:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #98 - 08/17/23 at 10:11:32

Mario Adnet "Um Olhar Sobre Villa-Lobos" Adventure Music cd

Graceful and pastoral sound. Great way to start a cool summer morning.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 08/19/23 at 13:43:37

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #100 - 08/19/23 at 21:34:57

Chet Baker Trio "Live in Paris" Elementary Music cd, disc 2

This is one of my favorite Elementary Music releases. Chet is mellow and focused and the sound is very "you are there". . . .

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 08/19/23 at 23:30:56

James Francies "Flight" Blue Note cd

I was trying this one again. It seems very prog rock to me, and the production is very different from most jazz albums. I was starting to "get it" when my wife informed my my listening session was over and it was time to make dinner. I'll get back to it soon.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #102 - 08/20/23 at 15:04:48

Jure Pukl "Doubtless"

A husband and wife two tenor lead, bass and drums quartet. Rather "harmelodic" to my ears at least so far in.

In from bandcamp

IP Logged
Kombi
Verified Member

Reply #103 - 08/25/23 at 01:04:35

Listening to the Reissue of Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense. The full concert for the first time on vinyl. It is amazing in every way. If you are a fan of the band this reissue is a must! I have my Australian first pressing i got myself new as a kid. Also have it on cassette from when i got it as a kid.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 08/30/23 at 22:08:12

TONG LI ....Probably one of the best Chinese singer presently. Beside her own songs, she has taken back many of Teresa Teng's repertory ....beautiful !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYf0kcFzGgY

If you are interested, some albums are available here :

https://www.yesasia.com/global/search/%E7%AB%A5%E4%B8%BD/0-0-0-q.%E7%AB%A5%E4%B8...

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 09/01/23 at 07:28:32

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #106 - 09/01/23 at 10:36:14

Carlos Santana/Alice Coltrane "Illumination" SACD

Beautiful sound for this crisp summer morning. Fall is coming!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 09/01/23 at 11:16:54

Matthew Stevens "Pittsburg"

Solo/overdubbed guitar album. Get the right volume and it sounds as if he's in your room.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 09/01/23 at 11:52:25

Milt Jackson "Used to be Jackson" Solid Records Japan 2 cd set, disc 2

Milt jackson, Cedar Walton, Ray Brown, Mickey Roker

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 09/01/23 at 12:54:30

Duke Ellington "Newport 1958" Columbia 2 cd set, disc 1

It was time for some Duke.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 11/09/23 at 02:46:49

Lucero- Live from Atlanta.
Streaming after King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Iron Lung.
Super stereo 3-d surround sound, courtesy of two Lii F15s and 2 Decware monoblocks.

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #111 - 11/10/23 at 22:08:06

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #112 - 11/11/23 at 16:08:29

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #113 - 12/18/23 at 16:06:33

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 12/22/23 at 04:59:39

Listening to some Christmas music today, of recordings my family played when I was a "youngster" in the 60's.

Joan Baez, "Noel," from 1966, with orchestral accompaniment.  Peter Schickele did the arrangements and conducted the orchestra.  He is perhaps best known for his humorous shows on the works of "P.D.Q Bach," a made-up member of the Bach family (I actually saw one of his performances with my parents in the early 1970s).  In his liner notes to the reissued CD, he talks about "the sound on Joan's album would be reminiscent of the musical periods in which the various carols were written," and that he had been selected because he "had shown, in the P.D.Q. Bach music, a certain amount of dexterity in evoking the flavor of bygone styles without trying to slavishly write" in exactly those historical styles.  It has some songs I really like that I have not heard elsewhere (like "Down in Yon Forest", maybe my favorite on this recording).

Chet Atkins, "Christmas with Chet Atkins" from 1961.  For some reason, we never played this record a lot when I was a kid.  It has a vocal group accompaniment on some songs that to me seems typical for late 50s to early 60s popular recordings.  I liked those vocals on this record (even though I think some may find it dated and "corny") - a couple of my favorites in that style were "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Little Drummer Boy."

Hope everyone here has a good holiday weekend, and good music (whether holiday music or otherwise).

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 01/02/24 at 14:02:01

Played this along with the Breakfast In America blu ray and the Famous Last Words cd.~ Smiley

s-l1600_014.jpg
  IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #116 - 01/12/24 at 15:57:02

Teskey Brothers
Black Pistol Fire
Kaleo
Peter Green

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 01/13/24 at 22:36:00

Using a Zen amp to listen to "Koto Music of Japan" by the Zumi-Kai Original Instrumental Group - somehow that seems appropriate.  As best I can tell, this is from a 1968 recording made by Everest (my CD is from Laserlight).

I really don't know much of anything about this kind of music (spoiler alert - I don't have particularly deep knowledge about any kind of music, beyond knowing what I like when I hear it).  It is very different from what I usually listen to, and it is interesting to be able to listen to music with fresh ears, because it is so unfamiliar.  It is constantly surprising, because it is not like the other music that I listen to.

The music is pretty spare, and in the context of some discussion in the thread on the Swiss Digital Fuse Box, there are probably lots of "leading edges" to listen to.

Perhaps it is an acquired taste if you did not grow up with this kind of music, but I find I like it (of course IMO, YMMV), and am glad I bought this CD.  I am trying to insert a photo for the first time below - hopefully it works!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 01/18/24 at 23:16:47

Listening to some Clifton Chenier zydeco music today.  Started with "Bayou Blues," which I think may be a compilation of singles.  As the title says, lots of blues on this one (and I think blues was always a large part of his music), with a mix of vocals and instrumentals.

Then to an anthology "Chess New Orleans," which has tracks from Chicago's Chess records foray into Louisiana in the 1950s through the early 1960s.  It includes some Clifton Chenier tracks - the instrumental "Bayou Drive" is one of my favorite Chenier songs.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 01/23/24 at 19:06:50

Listening to boogie woogie this morning - Pete Johnson "King of Boogie." It has recordings made in France between 1939 and 1941.

(This is what discogs shows as the CD cover, though mine has the same photo on the CD which also has a red color scheme).  

This CD has lots of blues songs, but also a mix of of more harmonically diverse music that I think of as jazz.  For me, boogie-woogie is the music from the 1930s that seems most modern, and I continue to hear music in this style today, more than 80 years later (particularly blues) in ways very similar to what was being done in the 1930s.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #120 - 01/23/24 at 19:30:24

Pete Johnson. . . quite a piano player!

Right now
Miles Davis "Miles +19" (aka "Miles Ahead") This is the mono mix on Japanese Sony cd

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 01/23/24 at 20:48:20

I don't have a lot of country music, but am listening to Billy Mata & The Texas Tradition, "Domino Effect." from 2006.

I picked this up at a music festival that included Billy Mata, after enjoying their set.  The incorporation of fiddle and pedal steel guitar is different from most of what I listen to, but the underlying music seems very accessible.  I think of this as country swing (but I don't much knowledge of that genre, so hopefully I'm not mischaracterizing it!).  

Interestingly, it has a boogie-woogie based song (Roll'em Floyd) that is credited to Big Joe Turner, and is definitely in the spirit of Pete Johnson playing boogie-woogie with "Big" Joe Turner singing.  Here, the pedal steel is covering the types of lines that saxophones would fill in a blues setting with a larger band.

Which then took me to the Vanguard Records compilation "The Great Blues Men" from 1972.  That includes Joe Turner and Pete Johnson playing "It's All Right Baby," which I think was recorded live at Carnegie Hall in 1938 or 1939.

That prompted me to listen to the song "Buzzin"" on the Black Top Records 1991 recording of Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers, "Blues in the Dark."  Buzzin is boogie-woogie piano with drum accompaniment.  It is another song that seems to pretty directly descend from music in the 1930s

And that then took me to the realization "wasn't I going to do some work today, instead of posting on the Decware music forum!"

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 01/26/24 at 19:07:14

Listening to something different this morning - Tito Puente, "El Rey de la Salsa."

I got this at a Tower Records outlet a long time ago.  I would call it latin jazz, and all the vocals are spanish (no liner notes on the CD, which I guess is OK because I wouldn't be able to read them anyway!).  This is pretty much the only recording I have in this genre.

It is pretty fun music to listen to - it has lots energy, and even without understanding the words it feels pretty compelling to me.  My favorite is an instrumental version of "Ran Tan Kan" that has vibes, and all sorts of rhythms going on (a quick look at youtube shows lots of versions have vocals).    

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #123 - 01/27/24 at 12:00:56

Tito! A lot of great players were in and out of his bands.

Right now

Orrin Evans "Meant to Shine" Palmetto cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 01/27/24 at 15:36:40

John Pizzarelli "Bossa Nova" Telarc cd

A nice Saturday morning cd. Paul Braga's drums really help to anchor this one.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 01/27/24 at 19:34:16

Hello, Lon.  I think Tito Puente also wrote "oye como va," that I remember being a pretty big hit for Carlos Santana on the Abraxis album.  I had that album back in the day, but sold it to help buy some other records.  Looking back, I wish I had been "hip" enough at the time to seek out other recordings by the writers of those songs, like Tito!

I am not familiar with the John Pizzarelli recording, but I do have a few Bossa Nova recordings.  In particular, I have the Stan Getz collection, "5 Original Albums Vol. 2" which the cover of the box identifies as "the Bossa Nova Classics."  (those 5 "Original Albums" sets seem like a good way to get a number of recordings on well-mastered discs at a reasonable cost).

Right now, I am listening to "Jazz Samba" with Stan Getz and Charlier Byrd from that collection.    

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #126 - 01/27/24 at 19:50:05

Yes, Tito wrote "Oye" possibly borrowing from the great bassist Cachao. . .and Santana did a version that knocked me out when I first heard it on the radio and led me to exploring some Latin jazz.

Cha cha cha!

Bossa Nova is a genre I really started listening to and exploring in the mid-eighties and then got seriously into when exchanging emails and tapes with a California guitarist named Jim Rowan, an expert in the genre. This led me to a deep reverence for the music of Jobim, which lasts to this day and I don't see going away. Those Getz albums are classics and those cd versions in that box set are very well remastered and presented.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 01/27/24 at 20:24:25

I know that Jobim is one of your favorites.  So I dug a little deeper into the Getz collection, and now listening to "Getz/Gilberto" which features Jobim.

host pix

[Note the picture is not exactly the same as my sleeve, but there are over 300 releases listed on discogs, so I am going to say good enough with this version).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #128 - 01/27/24 at 20:35:37

Yes--one of the best selling jazz albums of all time and perhaps the most influential bossa nova album ever. I don't play it often. . .as it is sort of seared into my mind. I have a mono version on cd that is nice for me to hear as I have heard the stereo so often!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 01/27/24 at 20:55:47

Dannie Richmond "The Last Mingus Band A.D."

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 01/28/24 at 13:31:02

It is a marathon. Cleaned 270 albums this week, listened to 82 so far. Out of the 82, 12 are either excessively worn or have unrepairable skips. The eighteen pictured are good out of the 23 auditioned in the last 20 hours.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 01/31/24 at 18:38:30

This morning I am listening to "The Oscar Moore Quartet w/ Carl Perkins," recorded in 1954.

I think I picked this up about 25 years ago, knowing nothing about Oscar Moore, but being casually interested in jazz guitar.  I'm glad I did, as I really like this recording.  

The liner notes taught me that he was particularly noted as the guitarist in the Nat King Cole trio, but Oscar Moore did not want to go in the more pop music direction that Nat King Cole was going, and so he left in 1947.  (Non-musical aside - the liner notes also indicate that he was earning a salary of $35,000 with Nat King Cole - it looks that would be about $480,000 in 2023.  That's a lot!)

By the way, the Carl Perkins here is a pianist, and not the rockabilly guitarist.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #132 - 01/31/24 at 20:28:43

A great record!

I think I have all the work that Moore did with the Cole Trio, and another record of his as a leader. As I used to play along with the Cole Trio recordings he was an influence on my own (ragged) guitar style. Quite a guy! I'm glad he made some coin.

Another great guitarist that played with Cole (after Moore) was John Collins.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 02/01/24 at 00:25:18

Hi. Lon, the Nat King Cole trio recordings do seem interesting to me know, perhaps some of the earlier ones before they became more pop oriented.

I am listening now to CD 2 of the box set "Gyorgy Ligeti - The Ligeti Project."  

Wikepedia identifies Ligeti as a "composer of contemporary classical music" and notes he has been described as "one of the most important avant-garde composers in the latter half of the twentieth century."  

Wikipedia also says that "he is best known by the public through the use of his music in film soundtracks," which is true for me.  I first became aware of him based on the soundtrack for "2001 - A Space Odyssey" from 1969, directed by Stanley Kubrick.  It looks like Kubrick also used his composition "Lontano" in "The Shining," and which was also used in the 2010 movie "Shutter Island."

Maybe because I came to this music through film, I don't feel the need to think about the "structure" of the music as much as I usually do for classical music, but instead listen more for the feeling it evokes.  CD 2 of this set includes "Lontano" and "Atmosheres," which each give me the feeling of tension and foreboding, which might explain why I am listening to this as I work on my taxes!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #134 - 02/01/24 at 00:38:39

It's still a bit hard for me to get back into classical music . . . I still associate that so much with listening with my Dad, who I miss so much. . . still. I'm taking some baby steps into the genre successfully this year.

Right now

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Just Coolin'" Blue Note cd

This was a rejected session that finally saw the light of day this decade. Not as polished as some sessions but good tunes and playing and sound.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 02/01/24 at 03:48:40

Lon, music seems to be built into all of us in a very deep way, and I think that what we feel about music is, in part, a reflection of how the music is associated with other important relationships or events in our lives.  While my belief is unscientific, I have read articles that seem to highlight music's important impacts on us (for example, how music can reach dementia patients).  I expect you will more fully return to classical music when the time is right for you.

I recently bought the Jordi Savall box set, "Espana Eterna - Five Centuries of Music from Spain, 1200-1700."  I think that Lon posted on this recording a while back, which made me aware of it.  

I only listened to it once so far, but seems like there is a lot of interesting music to go back and listen to again.  Discogs says the genre is classical, but the list of styles (and the 500 years of history it covers) show that it covers a lot of territory (baroque, renaissance, medieval).  It is all music that is separated from Ligeti's classical music by almost 400 years!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #136 - 02/01/24 at 09:10:41

I do have that box set, and it's an adventure in music! Saval led me to it via other cds. . . he is such a scholar and master.

Right now

A fantastic album.

"Ithamara Koorax & Juarez Moreira – Bim Bom"  Motema Music cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #137 - 02/01/24 at 09:54:27

It is time for some Keith Jarrett Trio. The music from this trio has its own special magic, opens up thoughts and feelings in my mind like no other.

Keith Jarrett "The-Out-of-Towners" ECM CD

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 02/04/24 at 05:12:09

I have been listening to Bernard Herrmann music today.  First, "Film Classics" CD.  

It has portions of the soundtracks from a number of movies, conducted by Bernard Herrmann.  The ones that I particularly liked (when considered outside of the context of the related films) were " "Fahrenheit 451," "Jane Eyre," "The Snows of Kilimanjaro," and "The Day the Earth Stood Still."  While it has nothing to do with the music, I wonder if Gort, the all-powerful alien robot in "The Day the Earth Stood Still,", relied on tubes or transistors!

Following that with the soundtrack to "Jason and the Argonauts" from 1963.  The orchestra for that recording did not include strings (except for several harps), but instead relied on a number of wind and percussion instruments.  This CD was recorded in 1998 from the original score and conducted by Bruce Broughton.  Interesting listening to all the different colors and timbres of the wind instruments.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 02/06/24 at 20:07:39

Listening to "chicago blues" today, and one of my favorite musisicians, "Little" Walter Jacobs on "The Complete Chess Masters (1950-1967).

He was a harmonica player and vocalist of note, both for his own recordings (like those on this CD set) and with other Chicago blues players, like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Rogers (which are not included here).  He was one of the first to play harmonica through an amplifier, and used the amplifier not just to add volume, but also to shape his tone.

When I started listening to blues (late 70s), it was really hard to find this music, so it was really exciting when the complete chess masters CDs came out, including a number of alternate versions that I had never heard before.  So, what I was listening to earlier (about 45 years earlier!) was the two-record set Little Walter on the Chess Blues Masters Series LPs.  

I thought I would include this album, since it is an appropriate cover for a "desert island" record!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #140 - 02/06/24 at 20:42:56

I have that Little Walter set too, a real boon to have that set configured and available for a spell.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 02/06/24 at 21:08:39

Yes, I am also glad that all this got released together.  I keep thinking of it as a recent release, but the copyright notice is for 2009 (about 15 years ago).  

I think that was around the point of peak availability of music on CDs, and at that time it seemed like almost anything I was interested in I could readily find on CD.  That seems to be changing now (unfortunately, to my way of thinking), and I now find myself often looking at sources for used CDs

I think we may be entering a period where streaming services may be the way to find broad availability to music (and if you do not have the physical media, it seems like you can lose access to some music based on a business decision by someone else).  Maybe I am just behind the times, but I still like having physical media!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #142 - 02/06/24 at 21:51:37

I have been buying bundles of used cds because I don't and likely won't stream. I have boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves of cds. . . if I can't find something new to buy I will always have plenty to play!

IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #143 - 02/07/24 at 01:42:38

Van Morrison and a lot of it ,

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #144 - 02/07/24 at 01:48:43

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 13:08:39

...I think we may be entering a period where streaming services may be the way to find broad availability to music (and if you do not have the physical media, it seems like you can lose access to some music based on a business decision by someone else).  Maybe I am just behind the times, but I still like having physical media!

I do too. Like Lon, I don't stream, but I do buy and download files. It isn't exactly the same as physical media, but I own it, don't need a network connection to play it, and it takes up less space than a jewel case.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 02/11/24 at 20:28:42

Hello, Lon and James.  I also don't stream, but am not going to say "never," because I think the time may be coming that I am going to stream to find music I am interested in.  I do sometimes see recordings on this forum that I would buy (for a reasonable price), but which just don't seem to be very readily available now.

Listening to some Motown soul music now, on some retrospective "best of" CDs.  First, Stevie Wonder, "The Definitive Collection."

Lots of good music on this, spanning from 1963 to 1985.  I really like the older Motown hits (like "signed, sealed, delivered," and "Uptight"), when I think followed the Motown "formula" pretty closely.  But I also remember later songs where he started to break out of the formula around 1972 (including "superstition") that I remember hearing a lot on the radio.  Of course, titling this as the "definitive collection" is to invite controversy, and some of my personal favorites don't appear here!

Following that with "The Very Best of Marvin Gaye."

This collection seems similar to the Stevie Wonder recordings, where he started working within the Motown formula (songs like "You're a Wonderful One," "How Sweet It Is," and "Heard It Through the Grapevine"), but eventually released recordings that were more his personal vision (like "What's Going On").

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 02/13/24 at 21:35:20

Listening to Louis Jordan today, starting with 2 CD anthology "Louis Jordan, Let the Good Times Roll," including recordings from 1938 to 1953.

This includes a lot of recordings when he was at his peak of popularity, including lots of great songs with humorous lyrics (while I think many of these songs can be classified as "novelty" songs, that seems a bit disrespectful of the great music).  The liner notes have an interesting discussion of how he would be trying out new songs at these performances, so he knew which songs were going to be well received by the public before they were recorded.

Then moved on to "Rock'n'Roll" which is an anthology of material recorded by Mercury Records in 1956 and 1957.  Many listeners had evidently moved on from the big band style of some of his original hits, and these recordings tried to update the sound to appeal to a younger audience.

Great music and great songs!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 02/15/24 at 19:40:39

I’ve been listening to a couple of jazz recordings by blues guitarists today.  The first is Duke Robillard on “After Hours Swing Session” from 1992.

The liner notes indicate the songs are “from the repertoires of Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Tiny Grimes, and the Benny Goodman Sextet featuring Charlie Christian.”  In the notes, Robillard also talks about wanting to keep the different styles of playing distinct in his playing, to respect each musical form.

It looks like Robillard has played with most of the people on this recording already with the Roomful of Blues band, which is a pretty large band including a horn section – like on Roomful of Blues “Let’s Have A Party:”

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 02/15/24 at 19:47:51

Now listening to a 2016 organ trio recording by Little Charlie and Organ Grinder Swing, “Skronky Tonk:

This recording includes versions of Charlie Christian and Django Reinhardt songs, standards like “How High the Moon,” and a few originals.  Little Charlie Baty led the blues band “Little Charlie and the Nightcats” for decades, and I think the jazz influences slipped into a lot of his blues playing (a different approach from Robillard).  One of his last recordings with the Little Charlie and the Nightcats was “Nine Lives” in 2005:

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 02/18/24 at 03:30:30

Listening to some New Orleans music by Dave Bartholomew on "Golden Rule in New Orleans - King and Imperial Sides, 1950-1961."

Much of it is on the line between blues and rock and roll, with horns.  And Fats Domino on piano for at least one of the songs.  I don't know how to describe, but the music is just characteristically New Orleans style (like the marches).  

Following up with Fats Domino, "The Fat Man's Frenzy."

The liner notes indicate that Dave Bartholomew was the leader of the band, and a key part of Fat's success.  It is a compilation of singles (the longest song is 2:50 long), but a lot going on in each song.  I particularly got this CD because it has my favorite Fat's Domino song, the high energy instrumental "Fat's Frenzy."  I think lots of these songs were before he really hit it big, so I don't think most of these were getting played on oldies radio.  

Maybe a little late for Mardi Gras, but not by much!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #150 - 02/18/24 at 09:31:40

Yes, Bartholomew was a big influence on early rock and roll, a consummate New Orleans musician who became an important producer, bringing Fats and others to fame. He lived to be nearly 100,  productive into late life.

Right now

Ray Brown and Milt Jackson "Much in Common" Verve 2 cd set, both discs.

Man this last week the system has been sounding amazing. With "Massive Final" firmware my DAC has become something else. Cds and LPs I have not heard in a while sound so good. . . the SEWE300B is also contributing a lot, everything seasoned in.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 02/18/24 at 17:14:43

I have really liked many of the recordings I have listened to in the last few years that include vibes.  Mostly have heard Lionel Hampton and Bobby Hutcherson, but I keep seeing Milt Jackson's name, and may start looking for some of his work (maybe starting with his recording with Wes Montgomery, who I already have some familiarity with).

I do have some Ray Brown, including on the "Poll Winner" records he was on with Barney Kessel and Shelley Manne, including the first one from 1957:

I picked this up used at a record store in the early 1980s, and I will admit to knowing nothing about these artists then, and just figured that if they were all poll winners they must be pretty good!

I'm glad that your "Sarah" amp is playing so well with your system!  When you first said you were going to get one, I thought that you were ultimately going to decide to keep your mono blocks, but clearly the new amp is working well in your system - congratulations!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #152 - 02/18/24 at 17:42:45

I loved my Monoblocks. They lacked the power though to really make my HR-1 speakers play with a bit of ease, a sense of headroom, and that is what mostly led me to sell them and keep the SEWE300B. There is just a bit other difference that distinguishes them, they were a bit more "dense" in sound (with my ZTPRE preamp) than the SEWE300B which in contrast is just a bit "swifter." I like both configurations. With the SEWE300B I don't need my preamp at all, which is a plus--the preamp stage in the SEWE300B is voiced perfectly for my source, ZBIT and ZROCK2. I'm happy to be just spinning disc after disc at this point now when the amp is all broken in. . . getting amazing sound.

I like vibes a lot. Another really interesting vibes player is a modern one, Joel Ross. He writes and plays with a freshness that I find very appealing. Milt is one of the most famous vibists--his work with the Modern Jazz Quartet made him an international figure and his Savoy, Atlantic, and Pablo sessions as a leader are well worth exploring--he had a fifty year career.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #153 - 02/18/24 at 17:54:24

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 09:42:45

...Milt is one of the most famous vibists--his work with the Modern Jazz Quartet made him an international figure...

I've been grooving to a fair amount of MJQ lately myself.

On CD.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 02/18/24 at 18:50:27

Lon and James - thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #155 - 02/19/24 at 10:06:29

Mariza "Concerto em Lisbao" cd

With Jacques Morelenbaum arranging, producing and conducting.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #156 - 02/19/24 at 11:00:04

"Arthur Prysock and Count Basie" Verve LP

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #157 - 02/19/24 at 11:40:29

Jack Teagarden "Think Well of Me" Verve stereo LP

I have this on cd, and the stereo and mono LP. Both the LPs sound great--I chose the stereo to listen to today.

The trombone sound on this LP is gorgeous. These songs by Willard Robinson (all but one are Robinson's) have that melancholy vibe that Teagarden this late in his career came by so naturally.

I love this music.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 02/19/24 at 18:09:09

The name "Prysock" triggered some of my memory cells.  I think it was because I have at least one record that "Red" Prysock (Arther Prysock's brother) played on - "Tiny Grimes and his Rocking Highlanders:"

Tiny Grimes generally played a 4-string guitar.  Apparently, he had a "hit" with a jazzy version of "Loch Lomond" - I am not sure if the hit came before the kilt-wearing Rocking Highlanders band, or vice versa.  I'm also not sure if the kilts were just part of the promo pictures, or if that is the way they performed!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #159 - 02/19/24 at 18:55:26

Tiny was quite a guy, coming to fame within Art Tatum's Trio and after that hiring Charlie Parker as a sideman. I think the Highlanders DID perform in kilts, at least I've seen two references to that, though the only photos I can find are essentially the photo that is on that cd cover.

Interesting instrument, the tenor, four-stringed guitar, originally designed to make a guitar that was suitable for banjo players to also play. Eddie Condon (a former banjo player) was also famous for playing one.

Arthur Prysock was a prolific performer with many albums and was a celebrated live performer. He had a very impressive voice. . . and his phrasing was quite impressive as well. I like the LP with Basie the best of those I've heard.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 02/19/24 at 19:37:21

The Point!
Harry Nilsson
Recorded: 1970
George Tipton: Arranger, Conductor
Harry Nilsson: Composer, Narrator, Performer, Primary Artist, Producer, Story, Vocals
Steve Hoffman: Remastering

I have such fond memories of this animated special.  

From Wikipedia:
Nilsson explained his inspiration for The Point!: "I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's [still] a point to it.'"[4]

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 02/20/24 at 00:32:45

Listening to that now, Dana. Just finished this one… classic.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 02/21/24 at 19:09:20

Right back atcha:
I'd never heard it before

(per Amazon Music 44.1 /24)

Sunshine Radio
Tommy Guerrero
Release Date: 2021

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 03/01/24 at 22:51:14

Not “lately” but just today. On the new release list today: Amaro Freitas, Y’Y. Really enjoyed it, listened to it twice.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #164 - 03/02/24 at 19:15:03

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 03/03/24 at 20:50:53

New Conception Of Jazz: Moving
Bugge Wesseltoft
Released 2001
Engineer: Andy Mytteis

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Sentry
Verified Member

Reply #166 - 03/04/24 at 00:11:19

Listening to the classics:

Blind Faith—Eric, Steve, Ginger, Rick
Quadrophenia—Tho Who
In-A-Gadda-DavVida—I. Ron Butterfly

Waiting for “Heart Like A Wheel”—Linda Rondstadt to be delivered.

Zen SV83 Signature Monoblocks/Zen Signature preamp/ZBox/Pro-Ject Tube S2 Phono Box/Kenwood KD500 with Infinity Black Widow CF tone arm and Grado Reference Platinum cartridge/Steve modified Sony SACD player/Kef Reference Two towers
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 03/04/24 at 20:54:32

Listening to Traffic, "Far From Home" from 1994:

I was familiar with Traffic from around the 1970s, when they had a "jazzy" approach to rock music.  I heard the song "Every Night, Every Day" from this album on my car radio around 1994, and liked it (and it is still my favorite track).

While the music here feels similar to earlier "Traffic" recordings, it is heavily overdubbed, as the "band" largely consists of Jim Capaldi on drums and percussion, and Steve Winwood on everything else (except for a few parts from other musicians).  This was their last recording.

Bought Los Lobos CD "Kiko" from hearing the song "Dream in Blue" on the radio from the same commute.  

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 03/07/24 at 22:26:56

Started with "The Very Best of the Meters" today, a compilation of songs by the New Orleans "Funk" band, from 1969 to 1975:

Definitely a different sound for me, which includes a couple of songs I had already heard ("Cissy Strut" and "Hey Pocky a-Way").  It made me look for what other funk recordings I have, which turned up "The Best of James Brown Vol. 2 - the 1970s" which has some similarities to the Meters:

I have also seen Booker T and the M.G.s referred to as playing funk, but the recordings I have ("Booker T and the M.G.s Original Albums Series"), which has 5 albums from 1962 to 1968, seems different (but still cool in a different way.

They were the house band for Stax records, and I think their music (at least up to 1968) seems more like soul music.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #169 - 03/08/24 at 11:18:51

Joe Locke "4 Walls of Freedom"

High energy initial track here, high energy start for the morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #170 - 03/08/24 at 12:21:16

Tom Harrell "Prana Dance" High Note cd

Re-visiting Tom Harrell releases this year has been a fun thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 03/08/24 at 21:57:47

Jazz is Dead 12 -- Jean Carne

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #172 - 03/09/24 at 00:53:45

Nicholas Payton "Gumbo Nouveau" Verve cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #173 - 03/09/24 at 09:24:56

Starting the day off with this quartet album.

Joe Locke Quartet "Moment to Moment-- The Music of Henry Mancini"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 03/09/24 at 12:42:27

Buster Williams "Unalone" Smoke Sessions cd

This is a good one for a rainy morning!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #175 - 03/09/24 at 16:06:01

This man’s music never ceases to amaze me.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 03/14/24 at 04:47:24

Listening to Mahalia Jackson "The World's Greatest Gospel Singer" on Columbia Records from 1955.

I don't have anything else like this (maybe I need to look for some more!) - she is a very powerful singer.

Wikepedia says that her recordings were on Decca and Apollo labels (before she signed with Columbia) were less commercialized, but that her early recordings on Columbia (like this one) were more like her early recordings.  

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 03/17/24 at 05:20:28

Listening to a couple of CDs with Milt Jackson on vibes (new to me).  First up is Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery "Bags meets Wes!":

Like this a lot on first listen, not surprising because I pretty consistently have liked most Wes Montgomery recordings I have heard, and this is no exception.  I also really like the vibes on this too!

The other recordings are Milt Jackson with the Modern Jazz Quartet, on a collection of "Four Classic Albums" (which includes "The Modern Jazz Quartet," "Django," "Fontessa," and "The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn, guest artist Jimmy Giuffre").

This music is more challenging for me, as it seems to blend elements of jazz with elements of classical music.  I am listening to it for a second time now, and while it is growing on me, I will need to listen to it more before I really know what I think of it.  That said, I do like some of the songs that are more familiar to me (like "Night in Tunisia," and "Django").  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #178 - 03/17/24 at 10:29:03

The Great Guitars of Tal Farlowe, Sal Salvador and Lou Mecca, Blue Note Japan cd, promo copy, 1989

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #179 - 03/17/24 at 12:38:16

Wayne Escoffrey "Like Minds" Smoke Sessions cd

followed by

Kenny Burrell "Be Yourself" High Note cd

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 03/19/24 at 20:53:54

The Other Side
Chuck Brown / Eva Cassidy
Release Date: 1992
Kent Woods: Engineer, Horn Arrangements, Keyboards, Organ, Synthesizer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 03/22/24 at 22:09:18

Purchased the Timescapes BluRay some years ago. Love the filmography and Sound track~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjpeIRbp_c

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 03/23/24 at 17:21:43

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 03/23/24 at 23:09:13

Hello, Dana.  Listened to the Chuck Brown and Eva Cassidy recording on YouTube.  I like it, and was particularly struck by the vocals of both Chuck Brown's and Eva Cassidy's vocals.  I had received Eva Cassidy's CD "Live at Blues Alley" a number of years ago, and enjoyed it but never circled back to give it another listen:

While I remember liking it, I felt more strongly about it re-listening to it now.  Not sure if my tastes changed, or if I was just paying more attention this time!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 03/25/24 at 04:30:03

Hey Tone,
I'm a big Eva fan like most of the "audiophiles" out there but I don't see the Eva / Chuck album mentioned much

Currently listening to:  CD2

Love Is Strange: En Vivo Con Tino
Jackson Browne / David Lindley
Released: 2010
Paul Dieter:Engineer, Mixing, Monitor Mixer, Producer.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 03/26/24 at 18:28:24

Townes Van Zandt
Artist:Townes Van Zandt
Released:1969
Jim Malloy Executive Producer, Producer
Kevin Eggers: Executive Producer, Producer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #186 - 03/26/24 at 22:52:07

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew--the Singles" Sony/Columbia cd

Followed by

Kenny Burrell "Prime: Live at the Downtown Room" High Note Records cd

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 03/29/24 at 04:07:21

Listening to Elmore James, "The Complete Singles As & Bs 1951-1962."

He was a notable slide guitar player and expressive singer.  While he is one of my favorite blues artists, I do think that many of his songs are similar, and I understand how many may find this music repetitive.  In any case, the collection on CD sounds pretty good given the limitations of the original recordings, and the strong performances come through.  

Slide guitar (like harmonica) is one of the signature elements of blues.  I "discovered" Elmore James starting with George Thorogood in the late 1970s, where the liner notes of his first album ("George Thorogood and the Destroyers") mentioned Hound Dog Taylor and Elmore James:

At the time, it was easier to find Hound Dog Taylor's album on Alligator Records ("Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers"), so this was the next step for me.

It also had several Elmore James songs, so I eventually found some Elmore James records.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 03/29/24 at 16:02:19

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 03/29/24 at 16:03:20

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 03/29/24 at 16:16:53

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 03/29/24 at 19:51:40

The Aaron Lewis story is a favorite of mine.

I have used "Am I The Only One" many times as a touchstone on an unrelated, non-music forum. I can't be the only one!

Godspeed, pal!

I'm just going through more old jazz from around the time I was born, for now.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 03/30/24 at 15:25:26

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 03/30/24 at 15:33:10

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 03/30/24 at 15:34:25

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 04/02/24 at 17:03:27

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 04/02/24 at 21:54:15

Autobahn
Kraftwerk
Released: 1974
THAT'S 50 YEARS AGO!  This is an unbelievable album and they were way ahead of their time.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #197 - 04/04/24 at 10:57:31

This song is one of my favorites. Great drumming and nice horns with a little trippy overall vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5FnUWRMLc

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 04/05/24 at 00:17:59

Hello, Dana.  Did "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk influence the Bugge Wesseltoft "New Conception of Jazz - Moving" album?  Beside both having a roadway theme on their covers, they both seem to fall (to my untrained ear) within the category in "electronica."  Just curious!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 04/05/24 at 00:23:08

Hi, Chris.  That song by "Lettuce" (who I had never heard of), is just as you describe it, with the interesting drums and horns, and a "trippy" vibe.  It sounds to me like "funk" music (with the drums, and the "plincky" guitar), but with a more modern feel that what I have listened to.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #200 - 04/05/24 at 00:40:16

Have recently listened to Art Blakey and the African Drum Ensemble "African Beat" from 1962:

It is an interesting mix of American jazz musicians and African musicians.  I like it, but feel like at times the two types of music do not fully come together.  It does tempt me to explore some recordings of African music from that same time period.  

One recording I am looking at is "Drums of Passion" from 1960 (I think someone noted this recording on the "What's Spinning?" thread - I think it might have been BicycleJoe Lo-Fi).  But that is for another day!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 04/05/24 at 00:46:54

Hey Tone that made me chuckle.  I wasn't contentiously  on a road theme when I was listening but but now that you mention it.

I'm sure Kraftwerk influenced Bugge but there is a 25 year difference in their releases.  Kraftwerk is so amazing to me because you realize in 1974 there were no computers to put these songs together.  They are actually playing the synthesizers not just programing software to create these songs.  Bugge is a pianist that integrates synth sounds into his fabric so in my mind he is a lot less  electronica than Kraftwerk who might just be the actual founding fathers of "electronica". Electronic sound manipulation has become so prevalent in today's music From autotune to synthesized full orchestras that unmanipulated music is becoming rarer.

To continue on the On the road theme (Not the electronica) I've also been listening to

Roadhouses & Automobiles
Chris Jones
Release: 2003
Producer [Produced By], Recorded By: Günter Pauler

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 04/10/24 at 03:46:15

Listening to Bill Doggett, "All His Hits," a 1977 compilation of selected instrumental recordings from the 1950's and 1960's:

Looking at Wikipedia, Doggett started as a jazz player, but these hits sound to me like he shifted more towards blues-based instrumentals that are danceable.  It includes "Honky Tonk," his biggest hit, and one I can remember hearing on the radio in the 1960's - I think it is a song that many people have heard.  Honky Tonk (and it sounds like he is on other songs on this album) features Billy Butler on guitar.  It also has some soulful saxophone work (like "Honky Tonk" and "Slow Walk" played by Clifford Scott).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #203 - 04/10/24 at 09:24:03

Mark Masters Ensemble "Wish Me Well--Reflections on Gary McFarland" SACD

I'm returning to this one again. It's really a good one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #204 - 04/10/24 at 10:22:32

Jonathan Blake "The Eleventh Hour" cd

Johnathan Blake - drums
Jaleel Shaw - alto sax
Mark Turner - tenor sax
Ben Street - bass
Kevin Hays - piano, Fender Rhodes
Tom Harrell - trumpet, flugelhorn
Grégoire Maret - harmonica Robert Glasper - piano, Fender Rhodes  
Tim Warfield - tenor sax

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #205 - 04/10/24 at 13:49:17

"Tribute to Miles Davis" live 2 cd set, disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #206 - 04/10/24 at 14:34:07

Duke Ellington "Volume 6, 1929" Masters of Jazz/Media 7 cd

Whenever I stay away from Ellington's work in the 'twenties I'm AMAZED when I return.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #207 - 04/10/24 at 16:31:09

Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra "Live at the IUCC 4/27/80" disc 1

https://tinyurl.com/Arkestra-cover

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #208 - 04/13/24 at 03:31:40

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #209 - 04/14/24 at 23:46:32

Arne Domnérus  Jazz at the Pawnshop

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #210 - 04/16/24 at 17:06:25

Jazz at the pawnshop is an amazing record! Good Choice!!!!

My last spin was "Everything is going to be OK" by Go Go Penguin.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 04/17/24 at 19:37:54

Went and saw the movie Monkey Man.  It was OK.  Violent action movie with subtitles but the real star was Zakir Hussain.  He did things on the drum that I'd never heard before.  It was a big theater with a good sound system played loud so it made it really enjoyable.  When I got home did a Zakir Hussain search and found this.  I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it but The Melody of Rhythm has elements of both maybe some pieces Jazz Orchastra maybe???
Anyway I really like this album and I'm only on my second time thru and it sounds great!

The Melody of Rhythm
Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer
Engineer, Mixing: Dave Sinko
Released: 2009

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 04/20/24 at 05:07:32

Hi, Dana.  I was struck by your comment "I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it . . .".    I guess this post is a rambling "response" to that (it is not meant as an uninvited suggestion on how you listen to music!).

Like many born in the late 1950s, the music I heard the most growing up was rock music, and a lot of that was blues-based, and I have never felt a need to "study" this music - it just seems to make sense to me because it was just part of the environment I grew up in.  For example the 1970 self-titled album "Leon Russell."

When I starting to listen to jazz, I usually only liked a very limited percentage of the songs I listened to.  The songs I liked were enough to keep me exploring (why explore if you don't like any of it!), and over time I began to appreciate more of it - I don't think that reflects intelligence or study.  Instead, for me it is just exposure to more music in the genre.  I generally move slowly through the music by following favorite musicians or sub-genres that slowly expanded my exposure.  

In writing this, I went back to the first recording I bought with sax player Sonny Stitt - Sonny Stitt, Bud Powell, J.J. Johnson on Prestige (with a very strange cover!):

When I first heard this, I liked the introductions, but then got lost in the middle of each song until the melody of the introduction got repeated at the end.  I liked enough of it to keep looking for other recordings by him.  Revisiting this recording tonight for the first time in many years, it seems to make sense now, I think just because I have heard more.  Glad I revisited it!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #213 - 04/20/24 at 20:54:33

Quote:
Posted by: Dana      Posted on: 04/17/24 at 11:37:54
...I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it...

There is no reason you need to "get" classical or jazz music if it isn't your cupa'. But if you want to become more familiar with it IMO a good way to ease in is have it on as background music. A lot of purists would insist you need to listen with your undivided attention, and at some point they are correct. But you don't need to start out that way. Let it seep into your subconscious like a gentle rain seeps into a garden. Then (in theory) one day you will get it, and you will want to listen critically.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #214 - 04/21/24 at 01:09:54

Thanks guys!  Due to your encouragement I put on Oliver Nelson which is probably my favorite traditional "jazziest" album.  Being born in the mid 50's I  know where you are coming from regarding music choice and its' roots. I'm trying to step outside my traditional background preferences and look for music created in the last 25 years.  So when I find something exceptional like the Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain album I'm just reminded of after a lifetime of listening I still know so little about the subject.

The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Oliver Nelson
Recording Date February 23, 1961
Engineer:  Rudy Van Gelder

A little classical just to let ya know I'm trying Smiley

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue; An American in Paris
Leonard Bernstein
Rereleased: 2006

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 04/21/24 at 04:55:23

Hi Dana (and James).  Nice to know we are of the same "vintage" and share some common early music-listening history.  I get your desire to "step outside my traditional background preferences and look for music created in the last 25 years" - so much of my listening is farther back in time.  I somewhat keep up with newer music in my favorite genre (blues), but I still like music that is deeply rooted in the blues traditions, so my listening of more recent music is not on the cutting edge.  For example, vocalist and harmonica player Kim Wilson, "Take Me Back" from 2020:

I am sure that music being made now is just as good as was made in the past, but it can be hard to find (and, unfortunately, I may have gotten more set in my ways and have a harder time giving new music a fair listen).  When I hear a newer song that "grabs me," I often find other music by the same artist less compelling.

I also share your experience that "after a lifetime of listening I still know so little about the subject" - though perhaps I (and you) know more about music from "a lifetime of listening" that we give ourselves credit for.  Looking at the music threads here is an education that the world of recorded music is very broad and deep, and far exceeds what ordinary people can know.

Happy listening, Dana!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #216 - 04/21/24 at 09:14:39

I used to watch Wilson with the Fabulous Thunderbirds in Austin in clubs in the 'eighties. Some good times!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #217 - 04/21/24 at 18:03:21

I saw The T-Birds several times and have quite a few of their albums.

Talented guys to say the least!

Jimmie Vaughan's albums are also very interesting.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 04/21/24 at 20:38:12

I keep coming back to this album by the great, late Kelly Joe Phelps. I was raised in the church his lyrics about his struggles with faith like "Why do I chose to suffer, when I can live with God?" smack me dead center.  On top of that his amazing guitar playing makes this one of my all time all time.

Brother Sinner & the Whale
Kelly Joe Phelps
Released: 2012
Engineer, Mastering, Mixing, Producer: Steve Dawson

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 04/22/24 at 00:35:02

Hello Dana.  I did not know that Kelly Joe Phelps had passed.  I have his “Roll Away the Stone” recording:      

It is mostly originals, but also some covers of traditional blues songs including two credited to Blind Lemon Jefferson and Furry Lewis, and Skip James.   We were talking about music from the last 25 years, so this still does not quite qualify (from 1997).

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #220 - 04/22/24 at 00:50:36

Hello, Lon and Donnie.

I also saw the Thunderbirds a couple of times in the 80's, while Jimmie Vaughan was on guitar and the band was a four piece.  I think Austin clubs would be the best place to have seen them!  That band has had a lot of personnel changes, and many talented people have played with them.

Jimmie Vaughan was great, helping make a full sound in a small band setting.  He was also scary good at playing behind a harmonica player, keeping the rhythm going while adding tasty fills (for example, “Pocket Rocket,” “Low Down Woman,” “Last Call for Alcohol”, and “You’re Humbuggin’ Me”).  

On an obscure note, the Jimmie Vaughan version of the T-Birds is also credited with “additional music” for the movie “Tex” from 1982 – film is fine, but my favorite part was an instrumental blues shuffle playing during a drug deal scene in the movie, which was classic T-Birds.   For early T-Bird "junkies," this is a YouTube link to the scene (with dialog, so you don't just get the music - probably only worth looking at if you are a fan of the early T-Birds - seems like you can find almost anything on YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtKRHxENtc

I am still partial to the first Fabulous Thunderbirds album “Girls Go Wild” from 1979:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #221 - 04/22/24 at 01:03:43

That original lineup was the one I saw probably more than a handful of times, mostly at "Antone's". . . I went there often with co-workers, about once a week for a few years. My favorites weren't Los Fabuloso Thunderbirds though, but Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli and their bands.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 04/22/24 at 02:30:27

Lon, I'm sure there were many talented players rotating through Antone's in the 1980s.  I don't know much about Angela Strehli except seeing her a few times on Austin City Limits.  

I have some recordings of Lou Ann Barton, and all of them include Jimmie Vaughan on guitar.  That includes Lou Ann Barton, "Read My Lips" from 1989 on the Antone's Records label:  

I think a lot of people now are aware of her from Jimmy Vaughan's "More Blues, Ballads, and Favorites" CD, which are "featuring Lou Ann Barton:"

By the way, while I know that Austin had a very strong blues scene in the 1980s, I wonder if it also had a strong jazz scene.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #223 - 04/22/24 at 09:13:14

The draw for me with the Angela Strehli Band (Angela left to live in San Francisco in the early 'nineties I think) was her guitarists in Denny Freeman and Derek O'Brien and her excellent drummer George Rains. I was learning to drum at the time, and watching and dancing to him was a great thing. The two guitarists were excellent. Lou Ann was more of a party girl and her singing was great, but keeping a band together and playing more often seemed to escape her. I really did like seeing her though. She and the Vaughan brothers were sort of tight early on in their careers.

There was not really nearly as big a jazz scene in Austin at that time. It got a bit bigger in time, but it still was never that big in my opinion. And I was always irritated that even in the small clubs that would sponsor jazz, they always mic'd up and amplified the music, even the drummers, which was just. . . wrong.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #224 - 04/25/24 at 20:55:18

This is a guilty pleasure album.  It's just so fun to listen to

Powerful People
Gino Vannelli
Released: 1974
Engineer: Larry Forkner

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 04/27/24 at 19:36:44

The Reminder
Feist
Released:2007
Engineer, Guest Artist, Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Rhythm), Producer, Strings: Ben Mink

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #226 - 04/29/24 at 18:00:40

Maybe the best movie soundtrack of all time (sorry Grosse Point Blank).  This album makes my stereo sound way better than it should.

One from the Heart
Tom Waits / Crystal Gayle
Recording Date
October, 1980 - September, 1981

Chuck Findley Trumpet
Jack Sheldon Trumpet
Teddy Edwards Sax (Tenor)
Gene Cipriano Sax (Tenor)
Ronnie Barron Organ
Gray Frederickson Producer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #227 - 04/30/24 at 02:14:58

I got this in the mail today. I had not heard this on vinyl in 30 years or better. Speaking of better - it is. I think more “Full” might be the best description. Whatever the description, I’ve never heard this recording any better - even through all the clicks and pops (mediocre shape copy)

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #228 - Yesterday at 19:07:43

Wild Garden
Josefine Cronholm
Recording Date: September, 2001
Engineer, Mixing: Tim Harris

Tom Waits: