Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 11:03:55 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 19463 times)
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #200 - 04/05/24 at 00:40:16

Have recently listened to Art Blakey and the African Drum Ensemble "African Beat" from 1962:

It is an interesting mix of American jazz musicians and African musicians.  I like it, but feel like at times the two types of music do not fully come together.  It does tempt me to explore some recordings of African music from that same time period.  

One recording I am looking at is "Drums of Passion" from 1960 (I think someone noted this recording on the "What's Spinning?" thread - I think it might have been BicycleJoe Lo-Fi).  But that is for another day!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 04/05/24 at 00:46:54

Hey Tone that made me chuckle.  I wasn't contentiously  on a road theme when I was listening but but now that you mention it.

I'm sure Kraftwerk influenced Bugge but there is a 25 year difference in their releases.  Kraftwerk is so amazing to me because you realize in 1974 there were no computers to put these songs together.  They are actually playing the synthesizers not just programing software to create these songs.  Bugge is a pianist that integrates synth sounds into his fabric so in my mind he is a lot less  electronica than Kraftwerk who might just be the actual founding fathers of "electronica". Electronic sound manipulation has become so prevalent in today's music From autotune to synthesized full orchestras that unmanipulated music is becoming rarer.

To continue on the On the road theme (Not the electronica) I've also been listening to

Roadhouses & Automobiles
Chris Jones
Release: 2003
Producer [Produced By], Recorded By: Günter Pauler

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 04/10/24 at 03:46:15

Listening to Bill Doggett, "All His Hits," a 1977 compilation of selected instrumental recordings from the 1950's and 1960's:

Looking at Wikipedia, Doggett started as a jazz player, but these hits sound to me like he shifted more towards blues-based instrumentals that are danceable.  It includes "Honky Tonk," his biggest hit, and one I can remember hearing on the radio in the 1960's - I think it is a song that many people have heard.  Honky Tonk (and it sounds like he is on other songs on this album) features Billy Butler on guitar.  It also has some soulful saxophone work (like "Honky Tonk" and "Slow Walk" played by Clifford Scott).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #203 - 04/10/24 at 09:24:03

Mark Masters Ensemble "Wish Me Well--Reflections on Gary McFarland" SACD

I'm returning to this one again. It's really a good one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #204 - 04/10/24 at 10:22:32

Jonathan Blake "The Eleventh Hour" cd

Johnathan Blake - drums
Jaleel Shaw - alto sax
Mark Turner - tenor sax
Ben Street - bass
Kevin Hays - piano, Fender Rhodes
Tom Harrell - trumpet, flugelhorn
Grégoire Maret - harmonica Robert Glasper - piano, Fender Rhodes  
Tim Warfield - tenor sax

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #205 - 04/10/24 at 13:49:17

"Tribute to Miles Davis" live 2 cd set, disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #206 - 04/10/24 at 14:34:07

Duke Ellington "Volume 6, 1929" Masters of Jazz/Media 7 cd

Whenever I stay away from Ellington's work in the 'twenties I'm AMAZED when I return.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #207 - 04/10/24 at 16:31:09

Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra "Live at the IUCC 4/27/80" disc 1

https://tinyurl.com/Arkestra-cover

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #208 - 04/13/24 at 03:31:40

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #209 - 04/14/24 at 23:46:32

Arne Domnérus  Jazz at the Pawnshop

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #210 - 04/16/24 at 17:06:25

Jazz at the pawnshop is an amazing record! Good Choice!!!!

My last spin was "Everything is going to be OK" by Go Go Penguin.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #211 - 04/17/24 at 19:37:54

Went and saw the movie Monkey Man.  It was OK.  Violent action movie with subtitles but the real star was Zakir Hussain.  He did things on the drum that I'd never heard before.  It was a big theater with a good sound system played loud so it made it really enjoyable.  When I got home did a Zakir Hussain search and found this.  I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it but The Melody of Rhythm has elements of both maybe some pieces Jazz Orchastra maybe???
Anyway I really like this album and I'm only on my second time thru and it sounds great!

The Melody of Rhythm
Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer
Engineer, Mixing: Dave Sinko
Released: 2009

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 04/20/24 at 05:07:32

Hi, Dana.  I was struck by your comment "I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it . . .".    I guess this post is a rambling "response" to that (it is not meant as an uninvited suggestion on how you listen to music!).

Like many born in the late 1950s, the music I heard the most growing up was rock music, and a lot of that was blues-based, and I have never felt a need to "study" this music - it just seems to make sense to me because it was just part of the environment I grew up in.  For example the 1970 self-titled album "Leon Russell."

When I starting to listen to jazz, I usually only liked a very limited percentage of the songs I listened to.  The songs I liked were enough to keep me exploring (why explore if you don't like any of it!), and over time I began to appreciate more of it - I don't think that reflects intelligence or study.  Instead, for me it is just exposure to more music in the genre.  I generally move slowly through the music by following favorite musicians or sub-genres that slowly expanded my exposure.  

In writing this, I went back to the first recording I bought with sax player Sonny Stitt - Sonny Stitt, Bud Powell, J.J. Johnson on Prestige (with a very strange cover!):

When I first heard this, I liked the introductions, but then got lost in the middle of each song until the melody of the introduction got repeated at the end.  I liked enough of it to keep looking for other recordings by him.  Revisiting this recording tonight for the first time in many years, it seems to make sense now, I think just because I have heard more.  Glad I revisited it!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #213 - 04/20/24 at 20:54:33

Quote:
Posted by: Dana      Posted on: 04/17/24 at 11:37:54
...I'll admit I struggle with both jazz and classical as a listening choice I just figure I'm not smart enough to get it...

There is no reason you need to "get" classical or jazz music if it isn't your cupa'. But if you want to become more familiar with it IMO a good way to ease in is have it on as background music. A lot of purists would insist you need to listen with your undivided attention, and at some point they are correct. But you don't need to start out that way. Let it seep into your subconscious like a gentle rain seeps into a garden. Then (in theory) one day you will get it, and you will want to listen critically.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #214 - 04/21/24 at 01:09:54

Thanks guys!  Due to your encouragement I put on Oliver Nelson which is probably my favorite traditional "jazziest" album.  Being born in the mid 50's I  know where you are coming from regarding music choice and its' roots. I'm trying to step outside my traditional background preferences and look for music created in the last 25 years.  So when I find something exceptional like the Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain album I'm just reminded of after a lifetime of listening I still know so little about the subject.

The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Oliver Nelson
Recording Date February 23, 1961
Engineer:  Rudy Van Gelder

A little classical just to let ya know I'm trying Smiley

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue; An American in Paris
Leonard Bernstein
Rereleased: 2006

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 04/21/24 at 04:55:23

Hi Dana (and James).  Nice to know we are of the same "vintage" and share some common early music-listening history.  I get your desire to "step outside my traditional background preferences and look for music created in the last 25 years" - so much of my listening is farther back in time.  I somewhat keep up with newer music in my favorite genre (blues), but I still like music that is deeply rooted in the blues traditions, so my listening of more recent music is not on the cutting edge.  For example, vocalist and harmonica player Kim Wilson, "Take Me Back" from 2020:

I am sure that music being made now is just as good as was made in the past, but it can be hard to find (and, unfortunately, I may have gotten more set in my ways and have a harder time giving new music a fair listen).  When I hear a newer song that "grabs me," I often find other music by the same artist less compelling.

I also share your experience that "after a lifetime of listening I still know so little about the subject" - though perhaps I (and you) know more about music from "a lifetime of listening" that we give ourselves credit for.  Looking at the music threads here is an education that the world of recorded music is very broad and deep, and far exceeds what ordinary people can know.

Happy listening, Dana!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #216 - 04/21/24 at 09:14:39

I used to watch Wilson with the Fabulous Thunderbirds in Austin in clubs in the 'eighties. Some good times!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #217 - 04/21/24 at 18:03:21

I saw The T-Birds several times and have quite a few of their albums.

Talented guys to say the least!

Jimmie Vaughan's albums are also very interesting.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 04/21/24 at 20:38:12

I keep coming back to this album by the great, late Kelly Joe Phelps. I was raised in the church his lyrics about his struggles with faith like "Why do I chose to suffer, when I can live with God?" smack me dead center.  On top of that his amazing guitar playing makes this one of my all time all time.

Brother Sinner & the Whale
Kelly Joe Phelps
Released: 2012
Engineer, Mastering, Mixing, Producer: Steve Dawson

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #219 - 04/22/24 at 00:35:02

Hello Dana.  I did not know that Kelly Joe Phelps had passed.  I have his “Roll Away the Stone” recording:      

It is mostly originals, but also some covers of traditional blues songs including two credited to Blind Lemon Jefferson and Furry Lewis, and Skip James.   We were talking about music from the last 25 years, so this still does not quite qualify (from 1997).

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #220 - 04/22/24 at 00:50:36

Hello, Lon and Donnie.

I also saw the Thunderbirds a couple of times in the 80's, while Jimmie Vaughan was on guitar and the band was a four piece.  I think Austin clubs would be the best place to have seen them!  That band has had a lot of personnel changes, and many talented people have played with them.

Jimmie Vaughan was great, helping make a full sound in a small band setting.  He was also scary good at playing behind a harmonica player, keeping the rhythm going while adding tasty fills (for example, “Pocket Rocket,” “Low Down Woman,” “Last Call for Alcohol”, and “You’re Humbuggin’ Me”).  

On an obscure note, the Jimmie Vaughan version of the T-Birds is also credited with “additional music” for the movie “Tex” from 1982 – film is fine, but my favorite part was an instrumental blues shuffle playing during a drug deal scene in the movie, which was classic T-Birds.   For early T-Bird "junkies," this is a YouTube link to the scene (with dialog, so you don't just get the music - probably only worth looking at if you are a fan of the early T-Birds - seems like you can find almost anything on YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtKRHxENtc

I am still partial to the first Fabulous Thunderbirds album “Girls Go Wild” from 1979:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #221 - 04/22/24 at 01:03:43

That original lineup was the one I saw probably more than a handful of times, mostly at "Antone's". . . I went there often with co-workers, about once a week for a few years. My favorites weren't Los Fabuloso Thunderbirds though, but Lou Ann Barton and Angela Strehli and their bands.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 04/22/24 at 02:30:27

Lon, I'm sure there were many talented players rotating through Antone's in the 1980s.  I don't know much about Angela Strehli except seeing her a few times on Austin City Limits.  

I have some recordings of Lou Ann Barton, and all of them include Jimmie Vaughan on guitar.  That includes Lou Ann Barton, "Read My Lips" from 1989 on the Antone's Records label:  

I think a lot of people now are aware of her from Jimmy Vaughan's "More Blues, Ballads, and Favorites" CD, which are "featuring Lou Ann Barton:"

By the way, while I know that Austin had a very strong blues scene in the 1980s, I wonder if it also had a strong jazz scene.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #223 - 04/22/24 at 09:13:14

The draw for me with the Angela Strehli Band (Angela left to live in San Francisco in the early 'nineties I think) was her guitarists in Denny Freeman and Derek O'Brien and her excellent drummer George Rains. I was learning to drum at the time, and watching and dancing to him was a great thing. The two guitarists were excellent. Lou Ann was more of a party girl and her singing was great, but keeping a band together and playing more often seemed to escape her. I really did like seeing her though. She and the Vaughan brothers were sort of tight early on in their careers.

There was not really nearly as big a jazz scene in Austin at that time. It got a bit bigger in time, but it still was never that big in my opinion. And I was always irritated that even in the small clubs that would sponsor jazz, they always mic'd up and amplified the music, even the drummers, which was just. . . wrong.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #224 - 04/25/24 at 20:55:18

This is a guilty pleasure album.  It's just so fun to listen to

Powerful People
Gino Vannelli
Released: 1974
Engineer: Larry Forkner

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 04/27/24 at 19:36:44

The Reminder
Feist
Released:2007
Engineer, Guest Artist, Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Rhythm), Producer, Strings: Ben Mink

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #226 - 04/29/24 at 18:00:40

Maybe the best movie soundtrack of all time (sorry Grosse Point Blank).  This album makes my stereo sound way better than it should.

One from the Heart
Tom Waits / Crystal Gayle
Recording Date
October, 1980 - September, 1981

Chuck Findley Trumpet
Jack Sheldon Trumpet
Teddy Edwards Sax (Tenor)
Gene Cipriano Sax (Tenor)
Ronnie Barron Organ
Gray Frederickson Producer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #227 - 04/30/24 at 02:14:58

I got this in the mail today. I had not heard this on vinyl in 30 years or better. Speaking of better - it is. I think more “Full” might be the best description. Whatever the description, I’ve never heard this recording any better - even through all the clicks and pops (mediocre shape copy)

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #228 - Yesterday at 19:07:43

Wild Garden
Josefine Cronholm
Recording Date: September, 2001
Engineer, Mixing: Tim Harris

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #229 - Today at 05:15:20

Geno - I always thought that "Songs in the Key of Life" was a great Stevie Wonder album (thought that did not stop me from selling to buy some other music).

Dana - I thought I would check out Josefine Cronholm of YouTube, and think some of it is pretty interesting.  I particularly enjoyed the song "Don't Weep" on the Wild Garden album.  Some of it (and particularly the start) make me think of Japanese Koto music.

Which took me back to one of the few Koto recordings I have, "Tadao Sawao Plays Michio Miyagi":

This is music that is far outside my "comfort" zone, and I am sure is not for everyone, but I do enjoy it in limited doses!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #230 - Today at 09:35:49

Not much lately…having too much fun in the sun and getting totally exhausted at times!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print