Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 00:35:36 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 18942 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #150 - 02/18/24 at 09:31:40

Yes, Bartholomew was a big influence on early rock and roll, a consummate New Orleans musician who became an important producer, bringing Fats and others to fame. He lived to be nearly 100,  productive into late life.

Right now

Ray Brown and Milt Jackson "Much in Common" Verve 2 cd set, both discs.

Man this last week the system has been sounding amazing. With "Massive Final" firmware my DAC has become something else. Cds and LPs I have not heard in a while sound so good. . . the SEWE300B is also contributing a lot, everything seasoned in.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 02/18/24 at 17:14:43

I have really liked many of the recordings I have listened to in the last few years that include vibes.  Mostly have heard Lionel Hampton and Bobby Hutcherson, but I keep seeing Milt Jackson's name, and may start looking for some of his work (maybe starting with his recording with Wes Montgomery, who I already have some familiarity with).

I do have some Ray Brown, including on the "Poll Winner" records he was on with Barney Kessel and Shelley Manne, including the first one from 1957:

I picked this up used at a record store in the early 1980s, and I will admit to knowing nothing about these artists then, and just figured that if they were all poll winners they must be pretty good!

I'm glad that your "Sarah" amp is playing so well with your system!  When you first said you were going to get one, I thought that you were ultimately going to decide to keep your mono blocks, but clearly the new amp is working well in your system - congratulations!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #152 - 02/18/24 at 17:42:45

I loved my Monoblocks. They lacked the power though to really make my HR-1 speakers play with a bit of ease, a sense of headroom, and that is what mostly led me to sell them and keep the SEWE300B. There is just a bit other difference that distinguishes them, they were a bit more "dense" in sound (with my ZTPRE preamp) than the SEWE300B which in contrast is just a bit "swifter." I like both configurations. With the SEWE300B I don't need my preamp at all, which is a plus--the preamp stage in the SEWE300B is voiced perfectly for my source, ZBIT and ZROCK2. I'm happy to be just spinning disc after disc at this point now when the amp is all broken in. . . getting amazing sound.

I like vibes a lot. Another really interesting vibes player is a modern one, Joel Ross. He writes and plays with a freshness that I find very appealing. Milt is one of the most famous vibists--his work with the Modern Jazz Quartet made him an international figure and his Savoy, Atlantic, and Pablo sessions as a leader are well worth exploring--he had a fifty year career.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #153 - 02/18/24 at 17:54:24

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 09:42:45

...Milt is one of the most famous vibists--his work with the Modern Jazz Quartet made him an international figure...

I've been grooving to a fair amount of MJQ lately myself.

On CD.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 02/18/24 at 18:50:27

Lon and James - thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #155 - 02/19/24 at 10:06:29

Mariza "Concerto em Lisbao" cd

With Jacques Morelenbaum arranging, producing and conducting.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #156 - 02/19/24 at 11:00:04

"Arthur Prysock and Count Basie" Verve LP

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #157 - 02/19/24 at 11:40:29

Jack Teagarden "Think Well of Me" Verve stereo LP

I have this on cd, and the stereo and mono LP. Both the LPs sound great--I chose the stereo to listen to today.

The trombone sound on this LP is gorgeous. These songs by Willard Robinson (all but one are Robinson's) have that melancholy vibe that Teagarden this late in his career came by so naturally.

I love this music.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 02/19/24 at 18:09:09

The name "Prysock" triggered some of my memory cells.  I think it was because I have at least one record that "Red" Prysock (Arther Prysock's brother) played on - "Tiny Grimes and his Rocking Highlanders:"

Tiny Grimes generally played a 4-string guitar.  Apparently, he had a "hit" with a jazzy version of "Loch Lomond" - I am not sure if the hit came before the kilt-wearing Rocking Highlanders band, or vice versa.  I'm also not sure if the kilts were just part of the promo pictures, or if that is the way they performed!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #159 - 02/19/24 at 18:55:26

Tiny was quite a guy, coming to fame within Art Tatum's Trio and after that hiring Charlie Parker as a sideman. I think the Highlanders DID perform in kilts, at least I've seen two references to that, though the only photos I can find are essentially the photo that is on that cd cover.

Interesting instrument, the tenor, four-stringed guitar, originally designed to make a guitar that was suitable for banjo players to also play. Eddie Condon (a former banjo player) was also famous for playing one.

Arthur Prysock was a prolific performer with many albums and was a celebrated live performer. He had a very impressive voice. . . and his phrasing was quite impressive as well. I like the LP with Basie the best of those I've heard.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 02/19/24 at 19:37:21

The Point!
Harry Nilsson
Recorded: 1970
George Tipton: Arranger, Conductor
Harry Nilsson: Composer, Narrator, Performer, Primary Artist, Producer, Story, Vocals
Steve Hoffman: Remastering

I have such fond memories of this animated special.  

From Wikipedia:
Nilsson explained his inspiration for The Point!: "I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's [still] a point to it.'"[4]

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 02/20/24 at 00:32:45

Listening to that now, Dana. Just finished this one… classic.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 02/21/24 at 19:09:20

Right back atcha:
I'd never heard it before

(per Amazon Music 44.1 /24)

Sunshine Radio
Tommy Guerrero
Release Date: 2021

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 03/01/24 at 22:51:14

Not “lately” but just today. On the new release list today: Amaro Freitas, Y’Y. Really enjoyed it, listened to it twice.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #164 - 03/02/24 at 19:15:03

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 03/03/24 at 20:50:53

New Conception Of Jazz: Moving
Bugge Wesseltoft
Released 2001
Engineer: Andy Mytteis

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Sentry
Verified Member

Reply #166 - 03/04/24 at 00:11:19

Listening to the classics:

Blind Faith—Eric, Steve, Ginger, Rick
Quadrophenia—Tho Who
In-A-Gadda-DavVida—I. Ron Butterfly

Waiting for “Heart Like A Wheel”—Linda Rondstadt to be delivered.

Zen SV83 Signature Monoblocks/Zen Signature preamp/ZBox/Pro-Ject Tube S2 Phono Box/Kenwood KD500 with Infinity Black Widow CF tone arm and Grado Reference Platinum cartridge/Steve modified Sony SACD player/Kef Reference Two towers
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 03/04/24 at 20:54:32

Listening to Traffic, "Far From Home" from 1994:

I was familiar with Traffic from around the 1970s, when they had a "jazzy" approach to rock music.  I heard the song "Every Night, Every Day" from this album on my car radio around 1994, and liked it (and it is still my favorite track).

While the music here feels similar to earlier "Traffic" recordings, it is heavily overdubbed, as the "band" largely consists of Jim Capaldi on drums and percussion, and Steve Winwood on everything else (except for a few parts from other musicians).  This was their last recording.

Bought Los Lobos CD "Kiko" from hearing the song "Dream in Blue" on the radio from the same commute.  

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 03/07/24 at 22:26:56

Started with "The Very Best of the Meters" today, a compilation of songs by the New Orleans "Funk" band, from 1969 to 1975:

Definitely a different sound for me, which includes a couple of songs I had already heard ("Cissy Strut" and "Hey Pocky a-Way").  It made me look for what other funk recordings I have, which turned up "The Best of James Brown Vol. 2 - the 1970s" which has some similarities to the Meters:

I have also seen Booker T and the M.G.s referred to as playing funk, but the recordings I have ("Booker T and the M.G.s Original Albums Series"), which has 5 albums from 1962 to 1968, seems different (but still cool in a different way.

They were the house band for Stax records, and I think their music (at least up to 1968) seems more like soul music.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #169 - 03/08/24 at 11:18:51

Joe Locke "4 Walls of Freedom"

High energy initial track here, high energy start for the morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #170 - 03/08/24 at 12:21:16

Tom Harrell "Prana Dance" High Note cd

Re-visiting Tom Harrell releases this year has been a fun thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 03/08/24 at 21:57:47

Jazz is Dead 12 -- Jean Carne

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #172 - 03/09/24 at 00:53:45

Nicholas Payton "Gumbo Nouveau" Verve cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #173 - 03/09/24 at 09:24:56

Starting the day off with this quartet album.

Joe Locke Quartet "Moment to Moment-- The Music of Henry Mancini"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 03/09/24 at 12:42:27

Buster Williams "Unalone" Smoke Sessions cd

This is a good one for a rainy morning!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #175 - 03/09/24 at 16:06:01

This man’s music never ceases to amaze me.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 03/14/24 at 04:47:24

Listening to Mahalia Jackson "The World's Greatest Gospel Singer" on Columbia Records from 1955.

I don't have anything else like this (maybe I need to look for some more!) - she is a very powerful singer.

Wikepedia says that her recordings were on Decca and Apollo labels (before she signed with Columbia) were less commercialized, but that her early recordings on Columbia (like this one) were more like her early recordings.  

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 03/17/24 at 05:20:28

Listening to a couple of CDs with Milt Jackson on vibes (new to me).  First up is Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery "Bags meets Wes!":

Like this a lot on first listen, not surprising because I pretty consistently have liked most Wes Montgomery recordings I have heard, and this is no exception.  I also really like the vibes on this too!

The other recordings are Milt Jackson with the Modern Jazz Quartet, on a collection of "Four Classic Albums" (which includes "The Modern Jazz Quartet," "Django," "Fontessa," and "The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn, guest artist Jimmy Giuffre").

This music is more challenging for me, as it seems to blend elements of jazz with elements of classical music.  I am listening to it for a second time now, and while it is growing on me, I will need to listen to it more before I really know what I think of it.  That said, I do like some of the songs that are more familiar to me (like "Night in Tunisia," and "Django").  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #178 - 03/17/24 at 10:29:03

The Great Guitars of Tal Farlowe, Sal Salvador and Lou Mecca, Blue Note Japan cd, promo copy, 1989

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #179 - 03/17/24 at 12:38:16

Wayne Escoffrey "Like Minds" Smoke Sessions cd

followed by

Kenny Burrell "Be Yourself" High Note cd

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 03/19/24 at 20:53:54

The Other Side
Chuck Brown / Eva Cassidy
Release Date: 1992
Kent Woods: Engineer, Horn Arrangements, Keyboards, Organ, Synthesizer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 03/22/24 at 22:09:18

Purchased the Timescapes BluRay some years ago. Love the filmography and Sound track~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjpeIRbp_c

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 03/23/24 at 17:21:43

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 03/23/24 at 23:09:13

Hello, Dana.  Listened to the Chuck Brown and Eva Cassidy recording on YouTube.  I like it, and was particularly struck by the vocals of both Chuck Brown's and Eva Cassidy's vocals.  I had received Eva Cassidy's CD "Live at Blues Alley" a number of years ago, and enjoyed it but never circled back to give it another listen:

While I remember liking it, I felt more strongly about it re-listening to it now.  Not sure if my tastes changed, or if I was just paying more attention this time!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 03/25/24 at 04:30:03

Hey Tone,
I'm a big Eva fan like most of the "audiophiles" out there but I don't see the Eva / Chuck album mentioned much

Currently listening to:  CD2

Love Is Strange: En Vivo Con Tino
Jackson Browne / David Lindley
Released: 2010
Paul Dieter:Engineer, Mixing, Monitor Mixer, Producer.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 03/26/24 at 18:28:24

Townes Van Zandt
Artist:Townes Van Zandt
Released:1969
Jim Malloy Executive Producer, Producer
Kevin Eggers: Executive Producer, Producer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #186 - 03/26/24 at 22:52:07

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew--the Singles" Sony/Columbia cd

Followed by

Kenny Burrell "Prime: Live at the Downtown Room" High Note Records cd

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 03/29/24 at 04:07:21

Listening to Elmore James, "The Complete Singles As & Bs 1951-1962."

He was a notable slide guitar player and expressive singer.  While he is one of my favorite blues artists, I do think that many of his songs are similar, and I understand how many may find this music repetitive.  In any case, the collection on CD sounds pretty good given the limitations of the original recordings, and the strong performances come through.  

Slide guitar (like harmonica) is one of the signature elements of blues.  I "discovered" Elmore James starting with George Thorogood in the late 1970s, where the liner notes of his first album ("George Thorogood and the Destroyers") mentioned Hound Dog Taylor and Elmore James:

At the time, it was easier to find Hound Dog Taylor's album on Alligator Records ("Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers"), so this was the next step for me.

It also had several Elmore James songs, so I eventually found some Elmore James records.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 03/29/24 at 16:02:19

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 03/29/24 at 16:03:20

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 03/29/24 at 16:16:53

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 03/29/24 at 19:51:40

The Aaron Lewis story is a favorite of mine.

I have used "Am I The Only One" many times as a touchstone on an unrelated, non-music forum. I can't be the only one!

Godspeed, pal!

I'm just going through more old jazz from around the time I was born, for now.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 03/30/24 at 15:25:26

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 03/30/24 at 15:33:10

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 03/30/24 at 15:34:25

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 04/02/24 at 17:03:27

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 04/02/24 at 21:54:15

Autobahn
Kraftwerk
Released: 1974
THAT'S 50 YEARS AGO!  This is an unbelievable album and they were way ahead of their time.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #197 - 04/04/24 at 10:57:31

This song is one of my favorites. Great drumming and nice horns with a little trippy overall vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5FnUWRMLc

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 04/05/24 at 00:17:59

Hello, Dana.  Did "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk influence the Bugge Wesseltoft "New Conception of Jazz - Moving" album?  Beside both having a roadway theme on their covers, they both seem to fall (to my untrained ear) within the category in "electronica."  Just curious!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 04/05/24 at 00:23:08

Hi, Chris.  That song by "Lettuce" (who I had never heard of), is just as you describe it, with the interesting drums and horns, and a "trippy" vibe.  It sounds to me like "funk" music (with the drums, and the "plincky" guitar), but with a more modern feel that what I have listened to.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print