Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 13:15:12 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 19479 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #50 - 04/19/23 at 11:28:29

It's been a while since this one was played. Good mood set for the upcoming sunny spring day. Rip to flac.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/19/23 at 11:51:27

Next up Don McLean "American Pie". Have a great day all!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/19/23 at 18:24:49

I had to share this.
I have lots of new music to explore and one box was full of jazz with half of it being Duke Ellington.
Since I only owned three Ellington LPs before, this box multiplied my Ellington collection by a factor of eight!

This one I had to clean up and play right away. There was nothing in it - it was clean.
I know it's not one of the more desirable releases, according to Discogs, but I am pleased to have it. It sounds wonderful!
It's their pic.

Ellington_Jazz_Party.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 04/19/23 at 18:59:19

That's a fantastic album in any pressing!

I also have "Jazz Party" -- the mono release, a Six Eye Columbia. It too is a fantastic listen. Jimmy Rushing, and Dizzy Gillespie on board make it a fun one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 04/20/23 at 00:01:17

This one is a "Six Eye" Columbia release as well.
Most of the other Ellington albums are mono and I am not as averse to mono as I used to be.

I mean I deliberately made my garage system full mono for a number of reasons.
One of which, when you have a large "voice" even in mono, it still fills a room floor to ceiling, past the walls and even farther beyond sometimes, depending upon the recording.

I know many would not listen to Eddie Arnold, but one recording I have I swear his "mouth" is twenty feet tall, establishes itself below the floor and his piano is forty feet wide, from a mono recording.

I sometimes look up and have to pause a minute because I heard something fabulous coming from behind me. I know it's a phasing trick of how the recording came out and the way the reproduction interacted with the room, but the depth, height, width we can achieve with pure mono can not be discounted.

I am anxious to continue my exploration of this stack of stuff. Most of what I have pulled out has proven to be quite a bit above a VG or a VG+ grade, you might find commonly.

My grading system, I call them closer to "cherry" meaning they do not look touched for the most part.

It seems that the ones he archived in this way and placed in special boxes are a measure above the typical old record grade most people expect from a sixty year old recording.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/20/23 at 15:43:06

Another beautiful album, does not look touched.

I don't think this is Meldau's first album, but it seems to be one of his first from what I can find.
It's a nice listen. I have both volumes. I have not heard Vol. 2 yet. It is in perfect condition as well.

This is why it will take months to go through this stack of LPs!
I can not remain on task.

Brad_Meldau_New_York-Barcelona_Crossing_Vol__1.jpg

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/20/23 at 21:17:31

Almost "A Capella" all the way :

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 04/21/23 at 04:43:41

Portico Quartet. Session available in higher resolution on most platforms:
http://m.youtube.com/watchv=PzoctG9Qn94&pp=ygUPcG9ydGljbyBxdWFydGV0

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 04/21/23 at 15:18:30

A really nice Verve. Duke Ellington is hard to beat, but with Ella? Wow.
This one is the double LP.
Amazing condition, except for some scuffing on the jacket. It has obviously been shuffled around some before it entered caring hands. The discs are perfect.

"Mack The Knife" starts this one off. I love it!

Ella_And_Duke_At_The_Cote_DAzur.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 04/21/23 at 15:21:26

Yes, wonderful music. I'm a Duke nut so I have this material, but within a multi-cd set that Verve released of the entire recorded output of the concerts at Antibes that year (most without Ella). Incredible music. Ellington rules.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 04/21/23 at 15:30:35

I have actually enjoyed and sometimes even preferred many modern remasters of classic LPs.
I'm guessing that your CD collection sounds great.

I wouldn't call myself a Duke nut, but I don't want to miss one either.

There is a local university radio station that does an afternoon "big band" show and it is coincidentally on during my drive time. If they are on the air, I'm playing that while I commute!
I slow down and just listen.
Radio does not often do much for me, but in a car, yeah. Especially with some BB music playing!

This show kind of brought me back to Duke after I thought I had heard it all. Boy, did I have some lessons ahead!
Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 04/21/23 at 15:40:51

When I first got into Duke I thought the earliest "jungle" stuff was the best. That was forty years ago! Then I became a huge fan of the Columbia era--the fantastic sound drew me in. Then the period I liked least, the last decade, drew me in. Then I went into the thirties and forties. . . and realized. . .Duke was alway so deep into music and had his incredible stable of musicians to draw on, write for, and inspire and be inspired by, that all decades of Duke are worth exploring.

Also the more I listen to jazz as a whole the more I realize his influence as a pianist, writer and arranger and bandleader is pervasive and deep.

My favorites of his change, but I always love listening to the Ellington Orchestra.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/21/23 at 19:00:58

Ellington's influence can never be ignored.
When I first began "trying" to get into jazz in addition to my electric hard rock and acoustic bluegrass influences, I was mostly put off and it took years for me figure out that is/was because all my "friends" were trying to get me to enjoy smooth stuff.
I mean I've heard enough Earl Klugh that I get an almost Pavlovian vomitous response if I'm not prepared to be disgusted.

I know I am attracting hate by being so cruel and singling out one artist I'm done with, but it took me a while to find what good jazz was. I'm talking about my early twenties.
I love all the bop guys and most any sax player worth his reeds and brass players worth a fresh spit valve cork.
Singers came later for me and Big Band orchestra, even later.

I have "discovered" Duke Ellington in several ways over time, get full and leave. But, I always return and find something I had not experienced before.
I'm here now and I have quite a lot more music to play, right in my hands.
I don't see myself "leaving" again.
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 04/21/23 at 22:06:12

I'm done with so many artists it's not funny. I can be happy for those who like to listen to them but I don't want to. When I split away from rock and music on the radio in the 'eighties there was little going back for me, I hear that music now and I just don't want to. Jazz, Brazilian, classical, that's where my listening heart is.

Ellington had the whole history of African American music within his work, and that work can be explored over a lifetime. The Maestro.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #64 - 04/22/23 at 17:39:51

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #65 - 04/23/23 at 03:07:04

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 04/23/23 at 05:03:13

I love Yes, Geno. Been a few years since I’ve listened to them. Thanks for the reminder. The Lii’s reproduce that drum in the intro of this track with uncanny realism. Going down a Yes rabbit hole now.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 04/23/23 at 11:10:22

April 19th's sunrise(yes insert pic is the sunrise deep in the Youghiogheny River valley) most definitely planted a seed to play this one at weeks end.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 04/23/23 at 11:23:32

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 04/23/23 at 12:22:35

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/23/23 at 13:36:07

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 04/23/23 at 15:26:46

You know how sometimes you are stricken with an earworm that won't go away and the only way to kill it is to find that song and play it?

"Give It Away" was stuck under my hat yesterday and I awoke with the same affliction, so I went to find this on Tidal and beat the song out from between my ears.

Now, I've heard this song a thousand times on more than a dozen systems, and I kind of like it.
When I worked in a portrait studio there was  fellow, a little older than the average youngster SO into the newly emerging Alternative scene, who tried SO hard to be cool.
He played Alternative constantly and this song came up fairly often.

Oddly, this morning hearing it on my F15s and Decware amps for the first time ever, I heard a jaw harp playing in the background cacophony. I never knew they had used one of those large jaw harps. I had never heard it before.

Just to make damn sure the earworm was dead and gone, I played the song through a couple more times. I do "kinda" like some of the music these guys put out.
They perform with a very rare high level of energy that appeals to me.

RHCP_BSSM.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 04/23/23 at 15:45:38

Geno, I also love Yes!
I'm going to dig some out and have a listen later today.

I played "Close To The Edge" recently and enjoyed it quite a lot!

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 04/23/23 at 16:18:11

That’s about the only album I ever got into by the RHCP, DD. Gonna have a listen again right now. Several of their others are enjoyable for a spin but lack that long-term listenability.
I think one of the things I enjoy most about hifi is the range of music it allows me to appreciate. On any given day I can have an infinite range of music styles playing and enjoy them all.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #74 - 04/23/23 at 16:19:36

Good morning DD and Manny. One of my favorite groups for sure. For me, the trio is The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge.

John, following the Yes post with King Crimson was very appropriate.

DD, I love me some Chili Peppers too!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #75 - 04/23/23 at 16:25:44

Hey Manny.

Looks like we posted at the same time.

The last thing I listened to last night before bed was, Starship Trooper. The full range of sound on the open baffles with some volume is very special Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
jameslayton
Verified Member

Reply #76 - 05/05/23 at 08:50:32

Nice. I love music

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #77 - 05/06/23 at 19:01:07

Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/06/23 at 21:39:40

Elina Duni
Partir
Released: 2018
Engineer: Gérard De Haro

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/07/23 at 02:59:08

Geno, "Cry Of Love"  and  "Rainbow Bridge" are two albums I have in mind as what we could have had more of, if things had gone differently in September 1970.

... and to think where his music could have gone with his latest interests at the time.

I was at school, had smuggled a contraband radio into the school building and I just walked out, headed eight miles home when I heard.
I was done!

I recently bought the modern Kramer remasters of those LPs and all his studio albums that Kramer had reworked.
Music I never want to be without!
Wink

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #80 - 05/14/23 at 16:12:10

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #81 - 05/16/23 at 13:09:53

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 05/16/23 at 15:58:39

From the shelves

Art Hodes Back Room Boys "Low Down Blues" Blue Note/TOCJ Japan cd

Fantastic music, really good sound on cd.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #83 - 05/16/23 at 16:00:24

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #84 - 05/29/23 at 16:46:42

This is one of the best acoustic recordings I’ve heard. They are in the room with me😉

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #85 - 05/29/23 at 17:09:29

"The Complete Freddie Hubbard Blue Note & Impulse 60's Studio Sessions" Mosaic Records, disc IV

From the shelves

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #86 - 05/29/23 at 18:34:00

This is a great one to use for testing bass - it has a fat bottom Wink

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 05/29/23 at 19:05:20

That's a good one. . . one of two Dr. John's I have.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #88 - 06/15/23 at 03:16:47

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 06/15/23 at 15:23:18

Shirley Horn "Loads of Love" Mercury LP

Focus on Ms Horn the singer. Jimmy Jones arranged and conducted.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 06/15/23 at 15:54:48

Joyce "Language and Love" Verve Forecast cd

Early Joyce, full orchestration on some tracks. MELLOW.

Brazilian LP cover

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 06/15/23 at 21:46:25

From the shelves

I'm revisiting this one. It has so many elements that I love about Ellington records. And the sound is great.

Ray Nance!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #92 - 06/16/23 at 14:12:30

Thelonious Monk "The Classic Quartet" Candid cd 2023

After waffling I decided to order this new cd even though I do have a budget early cd of this in storage. This new remaster certainly would sound better than that cd in a side by side comparison. And it's a great performance.

On the same day in Tokyo the Monk Quartet did this tv show performance, and a concert released by Columbia/Sony as a 2 disc set. The latter is stereo, this TV performance was recorded in mono.

From amazon.com

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #93 - 06/16/23 at 14:48:48

Jack Teagarden "Jazz Greats No. 26" cd

Some great Teagarden sides compiled, restored and remastered by J.R.T. Davies.

Teagarden's music always lifts my spirits.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 06/16/23 at 17:58:04

From the shelves

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #95 - 06/16/23 at 18:03:35

Currently sitting in my work truck and streaming music in Tidal.  This one from Leo Parker is very good.  Going to have to listen to it again on my reference system when I get home from work.   I may have to seek this one out on vinyl.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #96 - 06/18/23 at 21:21:22

Listening to this beautiful cd

From the shelves

"Jacques Pelzier"

While thinking of my Dad.

354464803_10230598696099155_3057736172752288301_n.jpg

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 08/16/23 at 23:54:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #98 - 08/17/23 at 10:11:32

Mario Adnet "Um Olhar Sobre Villa-Lobos" Adventure Music cd

Graceful and pastoral sound. Great way to start a cool summer morning.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 08/19/23 at 13:43:37

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print