Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 05:45:06 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 19406 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #100 - 08/19/23 at 21:34:57

Chet Baker Trio "Live in Paris" Elementary Music cd, disc 2

This is one of my favorite Elementary Music releases. Chet is mellow and focused and the sound is very "you are there". . . .

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 08/19/23 at 23:30:56

James Francies "Flight" Blue Note cd

I was trying this one again. It seems very prog rock to me, and the production is very different from most jazz albums. I was starting to "get it" when my wife informed my my listening session was over and it was time to make dinner. I'll get back to it soon.

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #102 - 08/20/23 at 15:04:48

Jure Pukl "Doubtless"

A husband and wife two tenor lead, bass and drums quartet. Rather "harmelodic" to my ears at least so far in.

In from bandcamp

IP Logged
Kombi
Verified Member

Reply #103 - 08/25/23 at 01:04:35

Listening to the Reissue of Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense. The full concert for the first time on vinyl. It is amazing in every way. If you are a fan of the band this reissue is a must! I have my Australian first pressing i got myself new as a kid. Also have it on cassette from when i got it as a kid.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 08/30/23 at 22:08:12

TONG LI ....Probably one of the best Chinese singer presently. Beside her own songs, she has taken back many of Teresa Teng's repertory ....beautiful !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYf0kcFzGgY

If you are interested, some albums are available here :

https://www.yesasia.com/global/search/%E7%AB%A5%E4%B8%BD/0-0-0-q.%E7%AB%A5%E4%B8...

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 09/01/23 at 07:28:32

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #106 - 09/01/23 at 10:36:14

Carlos Santana/Alice Coltrane "Illumination" SACD

Beautiful sound for this crisp summer morning. Fall is coming!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 09/01/23 at 11:16:54

Matthew Stevens "Pittsburg"

Solo/overdubbed guitar album. Get the right volume and it sounds as if he's in your room.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 09/01/23 at 11:52:25

Milt Jackson "Used to be Jackson" Solid Records Japan 2 cd set, disc 2

Milt jackson, Cedar Walton, Ray Brown, Mickey Roker

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 09/01/23 at 12:54:30

Duke Ellington "Newport 1958" Columbia 2 cd set, disc 1

It was time for some Duke.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 11/09/23 at 02:46:49

Lucero- Live from Atlanta.
Streaming after King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Iron Lung.
Super stereo 3-d surround sound, courtesy of two Lii F15s and 2 Decware monoblocks.

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #111 - 11/10/23 at 22:08:06

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #112 - 11/11/23 at 16:08:29

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #113 - 12/18/23 at 16:06:33

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 12/22/23 at 04:59:39

Listening to some Christmas music today, of recordings my family played when I was a "youngster" in the 60's.

Joan Baez, "Noel," from 1966, with orchestral accompaniment.  Peter Schickele did the arrangements and conducted the orchestra.  He is perhaps best known for his humorous shows on the works of "P.D.Q Bach," a made-up member of the Bach family (I actually saw one of his performances with my parents in the early 1970s).  In his liner notes to the reissued CD, he talks about "the sound on Joan's album would be reminiscent of the musical periods in which the various carols were written," and that he had been selected because he "had shown, in the P.D.Q. Bach music, a certain amount of dexterity in evoking the flavor of bygone styles without trying to slavishly write" in exactly those historical styles.  It has some songs I really like that I have not heard elsewhere (like "Down in Yon Forest", maybe my favorite on this recording).

Chet Atkins, "Christmas with Chet Atkins" from 1961.  For some reason, we never played this record a lot when I was a kid.  It has a vocal group accompaniment on some songs that to me seems typical for late 50s to early 60s popular recordings.  I liked those vocals on this record (even though I think some may find it dated and "corny") - a couple of my favorites in that style were "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Little Drummer Boy."

Hope everyone here has a good holiday weekend, and good music (whether holiday music or otherwise).

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 01/02/24 at 14:02:01

Played this along with the Breakfast In America blu ray and the Famous Last Words cd.~ Smiley

s-l1600_014.jpg
  IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #116 - 01/12/24 at 15:57:02

Teskey Brothers
Black Pistol Fire
Kaleo
Peter Green

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 01/13/24 at 22:36:00

Using a Zen amp to listen to "Koto Music of Japan" by the Zumi-Kai Original Instrumental Group - somehow that seems appropriate.  As best I can tell, this is from a 1968 recording made by Everest (my CD is from Laserlight).

I really don't know much of anything about this kind of music (spoiler alert - I don't have particularly deep knowledge about any kind of music, beyond knowing what I like when I hear it).  It is very different from what I usually listen to, and it is interesting to be able to listen to music with fresh ears, because it is so unfamiliar.  It is constantly surprising, because it is not like the other music that I listen to.

The music is pretty spare, and in the context of some discussion in the thread on the Swiss Digital Fuse Box, there are probably lots of "leading edges" to listen to.

Perhaps it is an acquired taste if you did not grow up with this kind of music, but I find I like it (of course IMO, YMMV), and am glad I bought this CD.  I am trying to insert a photo for the first time below - hopefully it works!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 01/18/24 at 23:16:47

Listening to some Clifton Chenier zydeco music today.  Started with "Bayou Blues," which I think may be a compilation of singles.  As the title says, lots of blues on this one (and I think blues was always a large part of his music), with a mix of vocals and instrumentals.

Then to an anthology "Chess New Orleans," which has tracks from Chicago's Chess records foray into Louisiana in the 1950s through the early 1960s.  It includes some Clifton Chenier tracks - the instrumental "Bayou Drive" is one of my favorite Chenier songs.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 01/23/24 at 19:06:50

Listening to boogie woogie this morning - Pete Johnson "King of Boogie." It has recordings made in France between 1939 and 1941.

(This is what discogs shows as the CD cover, though mine has the same photo on the CD which also has a red color scheme).  

This CD has lots of blues songs, but also a mix of of more harmonically diverse music that I think of as jazz.  For me, boogie-woogie is the music from the 1930s that seems most modern, and I continue to hear music in this style today, more than 80 years later (particularly blues) in ways very similar to what was being done in the 1930s.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #120 - 01/23/24 at 19:30:24

Pete Johnson. . . quite a piano player!

Right now
Miles Davis "Miles +19" (aka "Miles Ahead") This is the mono mix on Japanese Sony cd

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 01/23/24 at 20:48:20

I don't have a lot of country music, but am listening to Billy Mata & The Texas Tradition, "Domino Effect." from 2006.

I picked this up at a music festival that included Billy Mata, after enjoying their set.  The incorporation of fiddle and pedal steel guitar is different from most of what I listen to, but the underlying music seems very accessible.  I think of this as country swing (but I don't much knowledge of that genre, so hopefully I'm not mischaracterizing it!).  

Interestingly, it has a boogie-woogie based song (Roll'em Floyd) that is credited to Big Joe Turner, and is definitely in the spirit of Pete Johnson playing boogie-woogie with "Big" Joe Turner singing.  Here, the pedal steel is covering the types of lines that saxophones would fill in a blues setting with a larger band.

Which then took me to the Vanguard Records compilation "The Great Blues Men" from 1972.  That includes Joe Turner and Pete Johnson playing "It's All Right Baby," which I think was recorded live at Carnegie Hall in 1938 or 1939.

That prompted me to listen to the song "Buzzin"" on the Black Top Records 1991 recording of Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers, "Blues in the Dark."  Buzzin is boogie-woogie piano with drum accompaniment.  It is another song that seems to pretty directly descend from music in the 1930s

And that then took me to the realization "wasn't I going to do some work today, instead of posting on the Decware music forum!"

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 01/26/24 at 19:07:14

Listening to something different this morning - Tito Puente, "El Rey de la Salsa."

I got this at a Tower Records outlet a long time ago.  I would call it latin jazz, and all the vocals are spanish (no liner notes on the CD, which I guess is OK because I wouldn't be able to read them anyway!).  This is pretty much the only recording I have in this genre.

It is pretty fun music to listen to - it has lots energy, and even without understanding the words it feels pretty compelling to me.  My favorite is an instrumental version of "Ran Tan Kan" that has vibes, and all sorts of rhythms going on (a quick look at youtube shows lots of versions have vocals).    

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #123 - 01/27/24 at 12:00:56

Tito! A lot of great players were in and out of his bands.

Right now

Orrin Evans "Meant to Shine" Palmetto cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 01/27/24 at 15:36:40

John Pizzarelli "Bossa Nova" Telarc cd

A nice Saturday morning cd. Paul Braga's drums really help to anchor this one.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 01/27/24 at 19:34:16

Hello, Lon.  I think Tito Puente also wrote "oye como va," that I remember being a pretty big hit for Carlos Santana on the Abraxis album.  I had that album back in the day, but sold it to help buy some other records.  Looking back, I wish I had been "hip" enough at the time to seek out other recordings by the writers of those songs, like Tito!

I am not familiar with the John Pizzarelli recording, but I do have a few Bossa Nova recordings.  In particular, I have the Stan Getz collection, "5 Original Albums Vol. 2" which the cover of the box identifies as "the Bossa Nova Classics."  (those 5 "Original Albums" sets seem like a good way to get a number of recordings on well-mastered discs at a reasonable cost).

Right now, I am listening to "Jazz Samba" with Stan Getz and Charlier Byrd from that collection.    

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #126 - 01/27/24 at 19:50:05

Yes, Tito wrote "Oye" possibly borrowing from the great bassist Cachao. . .and Santana did a version that knocked me out when I first heard it on the radio and led me to exploring some Latin jazz.

Cha cha cha!

Bossa Nova is a genre I really started listening to and exploring in the mid-eighties and then got seriously into when exchanging emails and tapes with a California guitarist named Jim Rowan, an expert in the genre. This led me to a deep reverence for the music of Jobim, which lasts to this day and I don't see going away. Those Getz albums are classics and those cd versions in that box set are very well remastered and presented.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 01/27/24 at 20:24:25

I know that Jobim is one of your favorites.  So I dug a little deeper into the Getz collection, and now listening to "Getz/Gilberto" which features Jobim.

host pix

[Note the picture is not exactly the same as my sleeve, but there are over 300 releases listed on discogs, so I am going to say good enough with this version).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #128 - 01/27/24 at 20:35:37

Yes--one of the best selling jazz albums of all time and perhaps the most influential bossa nova album ever. I don't play it often. . .as it is sort of seared into my mind. I have a mono version on cd that is nice for me to hear as I have heard the stereo so often!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 01/27/24 at 20:55:47

Dannie Richmond "The Last Mingus Band A.D."

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 01/28/24 at 13:31:02

It is a marathon. Cleaned 270 albums this week, listened to 82 so far. Out of the 82, 12 are either excessively worn or have unrepairable skips. The eighteen pictured are good out of the 23 auditioned in the last 20 hours.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 01/31/24 at 18:38:30

This morning I am listening to "The Oscar Moore Quartet w/ Carl Perkins," recorded in 1954.

I think I picked this up about 25 years ago, knowing nothing about Oscar Moore, but being casually interested in jazz guitar.  I'm glad I did, as I really like this recording.  

The liner notes taught me that he was particularly noted as the guitarist in the Nat King Cole trio, but Oscar Moore did not want to go in the more pop music direction that Nat King Cole was going, and so he left in 1947.  (Non-musical aside - the liner notes also indicate that he was earning a salary of $35,000 with Nat King Cole - it looks that would be about $480,000 in 2023.  That's a lot!)

By the way, the Carl Perkins here is a pianist, and not the rockabilly guitarist.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #132 - 01/31/24 at 20:28:43

A great record!

I think I have all the work that Moore did with the Cole Trio, and another record of his as a leader. As I used to play along with the Cole Trio recordings he was an influence on my own (ragged) guitar style. Quite a guy! I'm glad he made some coin.

Another great guitarist that played with Cole (after Moore) was John Collins.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 02/01/24 at 00:25:18

Hi. Lon, the Nat King Cole trio recordings do seem interesting to me know, perhaps some of the earlier ones before they became more pop oriented.

I am listening now to CD 2 of the box set "Gyorgy Ligeti - The Ligeti Project."  

Wikepedia identifies Ligeti as a "composer of contemporary classical music" and notes he has been described as "one of the most important avant-garde composers in the latter half of the twentieth century."  

Wikipedia also says that "he is best known by the public through the use of his music in film soundtracks," which is true for me.  I first became aware of him based on the soundtrack for "2001 - A Space Odyssey" from 1969, directed by Stanley Kubrick.  It looks like Kubrick also used his composition "Lontano" in "The Shining," and which was also used in the 2010 movie "Shutter Island."

Maybe because I came to this music through film, I don't feel the need to think about the "structure" of the music as much as I usually do for classical music, but instead listen more for the feeling it evokes.  CD 2 of this set includes "Lontano" and "Atmosheres," which each give me the feeling of tension and foreboding, which might explain why I am listening to this as I work on my taxes!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #134 - 02/01/24 at 00:38:39

It's still a bit hard for me to get back into classical music . . . I still associate that so much with listening with my Dad, who I miss so much. . . still. I'm taking some baby steps into the genre successfully this year.

Right now

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Just Coolin'" Blue Note cd

This was a rejected session that finally saw the light of day this decade. Not as polished as some sessions but good tunes and playing and sound.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 02/01/24 at 03:48:40

Lon, music seems to be built into all of us in a very deep way, and I think that what we feel about music is, in part, a reflection of how the music is associated with other important relationships or events in our lives.  While my belief is unscientific, I have read articles that seem to highlight music's important impacts on us (for example, how music can reach dementia patients).  I expect you will more fully return to classical music when the time is right for you.

I recently bought the Jordi Savall box set, "Espana Eterna - Five Centuries of Music from Spain, 1200-1700."  I think that Lon posted on this recording a while back, which made me aware of it.  

I only listened to it once so far, but seems like there is a lot of interesting music to go back and listen to again.  Discogs says the genre is classical, but the list of styles (and the 500 years of history it covers) show that it covers a lot of territory (baroque, renaissance, medieval).  It is all music that is separated from Ligeti's classical music by almost 400 years!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #136 - 02/01/24 at 09:10:41

I do have that box set, and it's an adventure in music! Saval led me to it via other cds. . . he is such a scholar and master.

Right now

A fantastic album.

"Ithamara Koorax & Juarez Moreira – Bim Bom"  Motema Music cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #137 - 02/01/24 at 09:54:27

It is time for some Keith Jarrett Trio. The music from this trio has its own special magic, opens up thoughts and feelings in my mind like no other.

Keith Jarrett "The-Out-of-Towners" ECM CD

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 02/04/24 at 05:12:09

I have been listening to Bernard Herrmann music today.  First, "Film Classics" CD.  

It has portions of the soundtracks from a number of movies, conducted by Bernard Herrmann.  The ones that I particularly liked (when considered outside of the context of the related films) were " "Fahrenheit 451," "Jane Eyre," "The Snows of Kilimanjaro," and "The Day the Earth Stood Still."  While it has nothing to do with the music, I wonder if Gort, the all-powerful alien robot in "The Day the Earth Stood Still,", relied on tubes or transistors!

Following that with the soundtrack to "Jason and the Argonauts" from 1963.  The orchestra for that recording did not include strings (except for several harps), but instead relied on a number of wind and percussion instruments.  This CD was recorded in 1998 from the original score and conducted by Bruce Broughton.  Interesting listening to all the different colors and timbres of the wind instruments.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 02/06/24 at 20:07:39

Listening to "chicago blues" today, and one of my favorite musisicians, "Little" Walter Jacobs on "The Complete Chess Masters (1950-1967).

He was a harmonica player and vocalist of note, both for his own recordings (like those on this CD set) and with other Chicago blues players, like Muddy Waters and Jimmy Rogers (which are not included here).  He was one of the first to play harmonica through an amplifier, and used the amplifier not just to add volume, but also to shape his tone.

When I started listening to blues (late 70s), it was really hard to find this music, so it was really exciting when the complete chess masters CDs came out, including a number of alternate versions that I had never heard before.  So, what I was listening to earlier (about 45 years earlier!) was the two-record set Little Walter on the Chess Blues Masters Series LPs.  

I thought I would include this album, since it is an appropriate cover for a "desert island" record!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #140 - 02/06/24 at 20:42:56

I have that Little Walter set too, a real boon to have that set configured and available for a spell.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 02/06/24 at 21:08:39

Yes, I am also glad that all this got released together.  I keep thinking of it as a recent release, but the copyright notice is for 2009 (about 15 years ago).  

I think that was around the point of peak availability of music on CDs, and at that time it seemed like almost anything I was interested in I could readily find on CD.  That seems to be changing now (unfortunately, to my way of thinking), and I now find myself often looking at sources for used CDs

I think we may be entering a period where streaming services may be the way to find broad availability to music (and if you do not have the physical media, it seems like you can lose access to some music based on a business decision by someone else).  Maybe I am just behind the times, but I still like having physical media!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #142 - 02/06/24 at 21:51:37

I have been buying bundles of used cds because I don't and likely won't stream. I have boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves of cds. . . if I can't find something new to buy I will always have plenty to play!

IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #143 - 02/07/24 at 01:42:38

Van Morrison and a lot of it ,

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #144 - 02/07/24 at 01:48:43

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 13:08:39

...I think we may be entering a period where streaming services may be the way to find broad availability to music (and if you do not have the physical media, it seems like you can lose access to some music based on a business decision by someone else).  Maybe I am just behind the times, but I still like having physical media!

I do too. Like Lon, I don't stream, but I do buy and download files. It isn't exactly the same as physical media, but I own it, don't need a network connection to play it, and it takes up less space than a jewel case.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 02/11/24 at 20:28:42

Hello, Lon and James.  I also don't stream, but am not going to say "never," because I think the time may be coming that I am going to stream to find music I am interested in.  I do sometimes see recordings on this forum that I would buy (for a reasonable price), but which just don't seem to be very readily available now.

Listening to some Motown soul music now, on some retrospective "best of" CDs.  First, Stevie Wonder, "The Definitive Collection."

Lots of good music on this, spanning from 1963 to 1985.  I really like the older Motown hits (like "signed, sealed, delivered," and "Uptight"), when I think followed the Motown "formula" pretty closely.  But I also remember later songs where he started to break out of the formula around 1972 (including "superstition") that I remember hearing a lot on the radio.  Of course, titling this as the "definitive collection" is to invite controversy, and some of my personal favorites don't appear here!

Following that with "The Very Best of Marvin Gaye."

This collection seems similar to the Stevie Wonder recordings, where he started working within the Motown formula (songs like "You're a Wonderful One," "How Sweet It Is," and "Heard It Through the Grapevine"), but eventually released recordings that were more his personal vision (like "What's Going On").

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 02/13/24 at 21:35:20

Listening to Louis Jordan today, starting with 2 CD anthology "Louis Jordan, Let the Good Times Roll," including recordings from 1938 to 1953.

This includes a lot of recordings when he was at his peak of popularity, including lots of great songs with humorous lyrics (while I think many of these songs can be classified as "novelty" songs, that seems a bit disrespectful of the great music).  The liner notes have an interesting discussion of how he would be trying out new songs at these performances, so he knew which songs were going to be well received by the public before they were recorded.

Then moved on to "Rock'n'Roll" which is an anthology of material recorded by Mercury Records in 1956 and 1957.  Many listeners had evidently moved on from the big band style of some of his original hits, and these recordings tried to update the sound to appeal to a younger audience.

Great music and great songs!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 02/15/24 at 19:40:39

I’ve been listening to a couple of jazz recordings by blues guitarists today.  The first is Duke Robillard on “After Hours Swing Session” from 1992.

The liner notes indicate the songs are “from the repertoires of Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Tiny Grimes, and the Benny Goodman Sextet featuring Charlie Christian.”  In the notes, Robillard also talks about wanting to keep the different styles of playing distinct in his playing, to respect each musical form.

It looks like Robillard has played with most of the people on this recording already with the Roomful of Blues band, which is a pretty large band including a horn section – like on Roomful of Blues “Let’s Have A Party:”

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 02/15/24 at 19:47:51

Now listening to a 2016 organ trio recording by Little Charlie and Organ Grinder Swing, “Skronky Tonk:

This recording includes versions of Charlie Christian and Django Reinhardt songs, standards like “How High the Moon,” and a few originals.  Little Charlie Baty led the blues band “Little Charlie and the Nightcats” for decades, and I think the jazz influences slipped into a lot of his blues playing (a different approach from Robillard).  One of his last recordings with the Little Charlie and the Nightcats was “Nine Lives” in 2005:

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 02/18/24 at 03:30:30

Listening to some New Orleans music by Dave Bartholomew on "Golden Rule in New Orleans - King and Imperial Sides, 1950-1961."

Much of it is on the line between blues and rock and roll, with horns.  And Fats Domino on piano for at least one of the songs.  I don't know how to describe, but the music is just characteristically New Orleans style (like the marches).  

Following up with Fats Domino, "The Fat Man's Frenzy."

The liner notes indicate that Dave Bartholomew was the leader of the band, and a key part of Fat's success.  It is a compilation of singles (the longest song is 2:50 long), but a lot going on in each song.  I particularly got this CD because it has my favorite Fat's Domino song, the high energy instrumental "Fat's Frenzy."  I think lots of these songs were before he really hit it big, so I don't think most of these were getting played on oldies radio.  

Maybe a little late for Mardi Gras, but not by much!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print