Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 04:26:46 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
What Have You Been Listening to lately??? (Read 18180 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

What Have You Been Listening to lately???
03/21/23 at 17:19:28

Guys,

With the 'What's Spinning' thread causing crashes, (when posting from an iPhone, which,  out of convenience, is my preferred method) , this is an alternative (and experimental) new thread to see if something new might work better.

If this results in no change (which I imagine will be the case), it can be quickly ignored.

Let the experiment begin - go forth, and be photo postful...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: What Have You Been Listening to lately???
Reply #1 - 03/21/23 at 17:23:48

Testing 1,2,3…

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/21/23 at 17:27:42

Easy, peasy, with no issue from my iPhone.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/21/23 at 18:09:56

I'm in. Nice music for YARD (Yet Another Rainy Day):

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/21/23 at 19:16:52

i haven't done any serious listening. My new DSD DAC Mk2 from PS Audio was supposed to be here by FedEx on Sunday. As we were not necessarily going to be here all day Sunday to sign for it, I paid 12 Dollars to have that moved to Monday. Monday morning it showed on the truck and then a few hours later an "operational delay" which turned out to be an all day one and it is supposed to be delivered today, hasn't shown up yet.

In preparation for this new one I moved my modded DSD DAC from the main system and moved it into the place of my OG DSD DAC that in my headphone system. That was a decided improvement in sound as I suspected; that OG will go back in trade for the Mk2--I'm being given full price for the OG, 2/3 in a discount and 1/3 as a credit towards a future purchase.

When I'm back to listening I'll probably contiune in my OG listening thread. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 03/21/23 at 19:24:18

Sorry Lon. There is nothing worse than expecting a delivery (especially concerning audio equipment) and having it end up late!

I know this latest DSD directstream is gonna be fantastic. Keep us posted on how it sounds going forward.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/21/23 at 19:42:04

It IS frustrating. But it's not as frustrating as waiting many months for a product to be built and shipped.

Oh. . .wait a minute. . . .;)

Yes, I think this is going to be a fantastic DAC by all reports so far. I have high hopes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 03/21/23 at 20:54:30

That sucks Lon. Not just for you, but I've been planning on living vicariously through your upgrade .

I spent a bunch of money upgrading my digital a couple years ago, I'm not doing that again for a long long time.

Also, to get back on topic, an old favorite I haven't listened to in a while. Also one of the greatest albums ever made. Uploaded instead of linked, just for the heck of it.

51zLANWcbHL__SX425_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/21/23 at 22:24:06

Now it suddenly went to delayed--expected by end of day tomorrow.

&^%$

This is the worst I've experienced from FedEx.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/23 at 23:51:24

You’re getting your $12 worth! Sorry, shipping delays are the worst. I once had a center channel “delivered” turns out it was up the street for a week before the guy drove down to me. That was a real fiasco. Feeling your frustration, I tried replacing brake lines today and was given the wrong part. My truck ain’t moving til Friday at the earliest now.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 03/22/23 at 00:15:08

I'm shrugging it off. I'll just dart out for groceries first thing in the morning and then hunker down and wait (AGAIN) and hope that it arrives earlier rather than later and I can get some set up.

Gives me a chance to listen to my living-room system a bit more . . . not a bad thing, sounds pretty darned good.

I feel your pain about the brake parts. My worst brake part scenario was when I was trying to redo the brakes on my '64 Alfa Romeo at the end of the 'seventies. They had not imported Alfas to the US until '66 or so and all parts had to be ordered from Italy. I waited three months for the parts to come in. . . and they were not correct. I was lucky and found someone who did have the parts in a few weeks but. . . man that was a drag. I loved driving that car (1600 Spider Veloce).

Mine didn't look this nice. One day I may have a mid-sixties Italian again. That's my kind of car.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/22/23 at 03:34:57

At 6’7” I’d would need to pull the front seat out! The thing that drives me nuts about these brake lines is road salt led to brackets rusting, as they rust they slowly clamp the rubber lines closed.

Anyhow, finally getting to sit down and listen. Burns Vista Social Club’s Lost and Found.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/22/23 at 10:12:35

I'm 6' and I was comfortable as heck in it, even with the removable hardtop on. It actually had only storage space behind the front seats and they went back pretty far. What a car that was. It got great gas mileage and had a 25 gallon tank. The worst downside was. . . it had no heater!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 03/22/23 at 12:52:22

Robert Drasnin - Voodoo (1959)

This is a very interesting recording. Described as ‘exotica’. One of the highest in SQ in my collection. A YouTube discovery from a few years ago. I find myself coming back to it again and again. Not for everyone, I know, but I have grown very fond of it.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 03/22/23 at 16:25:30

Wayne Shorter isn't my favorite thing on the menu, but I'll order it once in a while:

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - 03/22/23 at 18:41:36

More music for a rainy day:

Don't let "Schoenberg" scare you away. This sounds like Mahler or Richard Strauss, or even Wagner.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #16 - 03/23/23 at 12:19:13

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/23/23 at 12:58:12

I'm going to go play that one today ... again.
Great album!

I'm still working my way through my Duetsche Grammophon collection.
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/23/23 at 15:41:58

The last music played a couple of days ago was Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyranth".
It seems that is where I'll be headed with the weather breaking and the Charoit just becoming an access corridor to storage of outdoorsy stuff Smiley

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/25/23 at 00:59:54

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 03/25/23 at 16:46:14

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 03/25/23 at 17:06:20

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #22 - 03/25/23 at 20:42:40

Took advantage of the PS Audio’s March discount and ordered Zuill Bailey’s “Bach Cello Suites” from Octave records on vinyl.   I originally streamed this to become familiar with the recording.    Yes it’s all the rave… phenomenally recorded and mastered.  It’s dead silent with black backgrounds and nice decay.  The music filled my large room with vaulted ceilings with big sound.   This album is well worth the money.  

Surprisingly…..when I ran it through the Spin Clean before it’s first play… I found a hairline piece of vinyl approximately 1/2 inch long that came off in the water, as well as a few small vinyl bits.  Didn’t expect that!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 03/25/23 at 20:46:09

I have the SACD set and can report that it too sounds fantastic. Perhaps not my very favorite rendition of these suites, but up there!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #24 - 03/25/23 at 20:53:26

Lon…I’m currently on album 2 of 4 and I’m truly enjoying it.  Very detailed and captivating.  I decided to switch things up, and play it through my Torii.  Can’t wait to hear this again through my Zen amp!!

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 03/25/23 at 21:07:00

I can only imagine how good that vinyl must sound. Glad you took a chance on it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/25/23 at 23:32:52

Hi, Dominick.
Living under a rock, I had not heard this selection, Zuill Bailey’s “Bach Cello Suites”.
However, Tidal came to my rescue once again. I let it stream for a while, but it did not take long for a kind of "permanance" to set in for me.

It's almost like there should be a seperate genre for “Bach Cello Suites” since there are SO MANY recordings out there.

Very nice indeed! I feel the warmth of a future purchase building.
Thank you.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/26/23 at 05:07:08

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #28 - 03/26/23 at 19:06:33

DD,

Yes there are many renditions of the Bach Cello Suites…this one….esp. on vinyl was a real treat.  If you are considering vinyl…PS audio is running a special for March on a nice discount.  I would grab it…it’s worth it.

Now I’m just streaming through Roon  Joe Pass & Ella Fitzgerald “ Easy Living”.  Very intimate session… it’s just a guitar and vocals.  Very good recording and Joe Pass doesn’t overshadow her vocals.  Two legendary performers team up to give you great listen.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 03/26/23 at 20:16:06

Those Joe and Ella LPs (there are more!) are wonderful.

From the shelves. . . .

This one came some months back and I listened to the first disc a few times and didn't get to disc the second. . . correcting that now.

Elvin Jones "Revival -- Live at Pookie's Pub" Impulse Japan SHM-CD disc 2

Okay but not great sound. . . but ELVIN!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 03/27/23 at 22:24:13

With the right recording my 300B amp makes the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Recorded or in real life. This is one of those recordings:

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 03/28/23 at 17:07:39

Here's my entry for the Bach 'Cello Suites:

I love the pieces and have many recordings, including 3 different Janos Starker. But this is one I reach for often.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 03/28/23 at 17:31:50

I am not sure what my favorite is. . . this release of the suites is among them.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #33 - 03/30/23 at 02:09:43

This is from this mornings coffee listening session. Trouble with the site kept me from being able to post.

Great recording!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/30/23 at 09:17:30

I found this one to be presented as intimate. Finely detailed and nicely laid back.

Warning up the system in prep for Glenn’s tube A/B video.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 03/30/23 at 12:23:53

I went with this along with coffee this morning.

I could not get on yesterday either, Geno. It was so nice outside, though, I did not spin much until later in the evening.

I am still receiving the same ERROR message this morning, then it just goes through after a Refresh. Something is still going on with the site.

Lee_Ritenour_Festival.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 03/30/23 at 12:56:30

Things are working well for me on the site this morning! I hope it improves for you.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #37 - 03/30/23 at 19:00:15

Hi DD, Lon and John! (Sounds like a cool name for a band) Grin

Things are back to normal for me with the site. No issues today.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 03/30/23 at 19:19:29

Hi Geno! Yes, the forum seems to be operating quite well today. My OG Listening thread is humming along. Wink

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #39 - 03/30/23 at 19:25:14

I was in a Monk mood this morning (MMTM).

FWIW I didn't have any trouble getting on the site yesterday, but there were a number of threads and that were broken, including I think this one. Things seem like they are back to "normal" today.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 03/31/23 at 09:55:05

Yeah Geno, I noticed something off here two days ago. Must have been an overload of traffic on the net. There was a lot of prank phone calls to schools about active shooters in PA that day.

How about DD LonJon. Sounds a little catchy Cool

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 03/31/23 at 19:51:03

I am calling my latest (mass?) music acquistion the "stack of stuff" for now.

I am astounded at the fact that she felt the need to warn me that there was probably nothing left in those boxes, since so many people had already scrounged through his albums for over a year.
Mainly because there is some cool stuff in this stack.

From the stack of stuff, I find this oddly relaxing for a rainy day, which we have today, in spades.

Current set up is perfect for some psyche-head sixties music, too.

Discogs_Zombies.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 03/31/23 at 21:00:21

Oh man DD! The Zombies! It has been a while but "Time of the Season" was one of my faves back in the early 70s. Spirited organ playing and smooth harmonies was cherished by I. Even though it is a compilation it surely would have been snagged by me rooting thru the boxes.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 03/31/23 at 23:25:14

It's a good band, JBz! Maybe check out some of their other albums?

They are actually a band that should have done better than a One Hit and Done band.

There are many of those great bands out there from this era.
Smiley

Keeping with the '60s theme, "After Bathing At Baxter's" from Jefferson Airplane. "Crown Of Creation" to follow. Good stuff.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #44 - 04/01/23 at 03:39:11

My home team when I was growing up: Mehta and the LA Phil. Lots of great (mostly late romantic) music well played and recorded.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #45 - 04/01/23 at 17:19:06

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #46 - 04/03/23 at 03:25:34

Björk - Debut

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #47 - 04/04/23 at 21:04:29

Martinu was one of my "lockdown projects" and he quickly became one of my favorite 20th century composers. This is obscure, even for Martinu, downloaded from Qobuz, but I like it a lot and the Prague Philharmonic Choir is an added bonus.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 04/11/23 at 15:41:27

Listening to this at work this morning - hope I don't get fired, cause it must be played loud Smiley

https://youtu.be/KqpWTC-rvhQ

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/18/23 at 10:48:33

From the shores of the Youghiogheny River, Robin Trower "Bridge of Signs" flac rip and "For Earth Below" vinyl/flac rip all on hard drive.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print