Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 19:49:04 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 30819 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Classical Music Thread
09/23/23 at 20:24:30

Anyone else interested in classic music? I'm not (nearly) prolific enough to keep up with the regulars in the other "what's spinning" thread, so here is a place to post and/or discuss what you're listening to, what you like and what you don't or if you're just #classicalcurious.

I guess I'll start with Genesis 1:1, one of my desert island recordings.

On CD

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #1 - 09/23/23 at 23:36:10

An excellent idea, CAJames!

As you being one of our notable classical afficionados, I will be very interested in your input.

I only dabble, compared to most I know who listen to not much else besides classical music, ever.

But, I am building a collection. Mostly LP, but some on CD as well.
I rip through every used bin I find. I've even found wonderful albums at Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Jude Charity stores and sometimes a pawn shop.
I almost never pass up a Deutsche Grammophon edition from how ever old it is, as long as the LPs are good. Often they look like they have never been played.

It is amazing what people will toss out as just more of Grandpa's old junk.

I have recently come across this small set (maybe 60 or so albums) of German Archiv Produktion digital recordings that have impressed me with the recording quality. All are late '80s and '90 mostly.

Have you experienced any of these recordings?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 09/24/23 at 00:39:43

Quote:
Posted by: Same Old DD      Posted on: Today at 15:36:10

...I have recently come across this small set (maybe 60 or so albums) of German Archiv Produktion digital recordings that have impressed me with the recording quality. All are late '80s and '90 mostly.

Have you experienced any of these recordings?

Welcome aboard!

I certainly do have experience with Archiv, which is the "Historically Informed Performance" division of DG aka Deutsche Grammophon (as you may very well know). I'll say straight up I'm not a big fan of HIP aka the authentic instrument movement, but some of it is excellent. This might even be pre-digital, its been one of demo LPs since the 80's:

And one of my favorite performances of another of Bach's greatest hits:

There are others, for example I like a lot of stuff by Trevor Pinnick. If you aren't sure what you are getting into I wonder if you can check out the titles on streaming to see what you've got rather than going through the production of spinning up each album.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/24/23 at 01:15:55

The other end of the spectrum (if not the alphabet) from Bach:

On CD

Modern, but not unpleasant, and like most Mercury Living Presence recordings it sounds phenomenal, in spite (or perhaps because) of being older than I am.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 09/24/23 at 04:19:59

Mrs. CA was out of the house so I got a chance to crank it up. I choose:

DSD rip of a SHM-SACD

This is a very famous recording of Tchaikovsky Symphony No.4 by the Leningrad Philharmonic made in London in the 60's. Every commentator on the recording always says something like "the orchestra plays like any mistake will get them sent to the GULAG." Since they said it I don't have to, but it is a stupefyingly virtuosic performance. And sounds really good too.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/24/23 at 14:23:07

Last time I took my system up for a romp, I chose Tchaikovsky, too. I went with Symphony No. 6  "Pathetique"
Yevgeny Mravinsky conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic.
Deutsche Grammophon release on LP in a set including Symphonies No. 4 and No. 5.

I can't find it on Discogs to "borrow" a pic, but this version is made in Italy and instead of three discs, this one has four.

I also have that same Bach, Mass In B Minor, but with a different look in the way the same illustration was done.

Apparently I can not upload an image anyway. Not sure why, yet.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 09/24/23 at 16:07:31

Whomever designed this church and the organ - man - they really got it right.  I grew up with a pipe organ, and have since listened to hundreds of recordings of various cathedrals over the years and many are 'off'.  Perhaps it's the recording.  Perhaps it's the organ, perhaps the architecture, maybe the organist or perhaps not enough pigeon shit in the attic... who knows.

The bass on this organ is so satisfying it's just addictive.  Wear headphones.  Don't waste your time on the stereo speakers.  I am having this intoxicating experience with a $120 headphone plugged into my imac.  That's it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/24/23 at 17:54:00

For seven years or so since I moved back to Ohio and before my Dad spent almost a year and a half bed-ridden and before he passed a year and a half ago. . . I used to listen to classical music with my Dad. When I was his caregiver hours and hours at a time. . . when I would visit him several times a week at his assisted living home afternoons . . . .

I treasured those hours, as I should, and it's really been hard to listen to classical music for the last year and a half or more. I've sampled it a bit now and then and selected music that I didn't share with him mostly when I do.

This thread has me attempting again. I'm listening to a Debussy collection on SACD, part of the Royal Philharmonic Collection on Membran.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6351604-Debussy-Debussy

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 09/24/23 at 23:21:26

Ivan Moravec is my favorite pianist, and this is a collection of most of his recordings, missing the (very famous) Chopin Nocturnes. He didn't have a big repertoire, and most of it was on the introspective rather than the virtuoso side. But what he did record he did phenomenally well and beautifully.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 09/26/23 at 16:47:45

I dabble in opera. Its not my favorite thing on the menu but I'll order it sometimes. This is a weird story that I don't understand or even care that much about. I just put it on and let the music wash over me. It is a fantastic late romantic soundscape.

16/44 FLAC rip from CD

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/26/23 at 18:21:24

I've enjoyed this one recently. Sometimes I just want to hear a piano done well.
This Philips recording is very "live" and it's like the piano just breathes deeply inside my room.
A truly uplifting set of discs in one album.

It is also great when you find a used copy and, not only is it in nearly complete pristine condition after fifty years, but it includes all the side treasures as well. The stylized liner notes from Hanspeter Krellmann and letter of welcome from Julius Bloom of Carnegie Hall (looks hand signed, but I've known lots of people who do printing - that's unlikely. They used a different type and color of ink and a bit of pressure to achieve that illusion) are included.

This is the Discogs page, it is this one and all the identifiers match exactly. Still has the Opera Paraphrases LP, which I have not played.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3700972-Liszt-Michele-Campanella-Complete-Hungar...

Liszt, Michele Campanella – Complete Hungarian Rhapsodies

A fairly common issue, but a wonderful album still!

Liszt_Complete_Hungarian_Rhapsodies_Michele_Campanella___tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 09/26/23 at 22:37:05

Some classical music that my father and I were just beginning to listen to together: the music of Brazilian composer Villa Lobos.

I really like his string quartets. This is disc 3 of this set:

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 09/27/23 at 00:54:56

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 14:37:05

...the music of Brazilian composer Villa Lobos...

Very interesting. Everyone loves the first Bachianas Brasileiras and the guitar music but I've been trying to get a little deeper into his output.

16/44 FLAC Download

This is intriguing, but I can't say I love it. I probably need to hear it a few more times. I'm pretty sure I have some of his string quartets too, maybe even those Dorian recordings. Need to spin them up as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 09/27/23 at 01:26:37

I've learned to like all the Villa Lobos I have heard, but the string quartets are my favorite (a favorite classical music form in general). For about 20 years I've enjoyed learning about and listening to Brazilan folk and pop music so this final frontier of their classical repretoire seems a natural to explore. My father had been spending a lot of time listening to Brazilian music as well before his decline and it was fun to share the exploration with him. It's mostly stalled since then on my part.

I can really attach a love for a music with a person, a pattern with me. It's hard to listen to a lot of classical after my Dad's decline and passing. It was really hard to listen to a lot of pop and rock music that my late first wife and I enjoyed listening to. And my best friend and I share a three decade long love of listening to and talking about jazz and jazz history, and it's a strong bond between us. I hope that lasts for more decades!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 09/27/23 at 23:15:40

Ah, the string quartet. I've always known they are important, but it has only been recently that I started to enjoy them. And now they are one of my favorite things. The thing that did it for me was the hearing the Hollywood String Quartet play the Schubert Quintet (granted not actually a quartet, but really close). I heard it on the radio when I was stuck in traffic and it just clicked. Maybe I have an affinity for the HSQ because I was born in Hollywood. And of course, the music Schubert wrote at the end of his life is amazing. The slow movement of the quintet is not exactly beautiful in the conventional sense IMO, but it has an electric stillness that grabs me and doesn't let go. BTW, the Hollywood String Quartet was a group of friends and colleagues who loved to play chamber music together. And their day job just happened to be first desk players in the big Hollywood studio orchestras. They are an amazing group.

On CD

The Schonberg Verklarte Nacht is very good too, but Schonberg is a topic for another day.

I listened to my Villa Lobos string quartet CD and it was great. Totally different reaction to when I heard it the first time, at least 15 years ago. Just goes to show times change, people change.

On CD

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - 09/28/23 at 21:59:36

More magnificent late Schubert. I'm not that big into opera but I love me a good mass. In this case with the St. John's College Choir lead by George Guest.

On CD.

I'm on a bit of a late Schubert roll ATM. Since I watched the Sibelius speakers guy review of the Torii I got his video on Schubert's last piano sonata the other day:

https://youtu.be/Y2vU1he4EoU?si=c7UXaAyIaLqZ4q4G

which was intriguing. I listened to Richter this morning, it is a different performance.

On CD.

And it truly begins at the bottom of the abyss. But it is journey from darkness to light and ends in a much more affirming place. Richter is one of the great pianists of the twentieth century. He could play anything, but also had a very individual, highly emotional style. It's been said that his performances are more about Richter than the composer, which you can take any way you want.

I also have D960 by Pollini, Perahia and Kempff to follow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/29/23 at 00:43:34

I'm glad you dug the Villa Lobos this time around. It's fascinating how we grow in understanding of music over time. Pieces or forms that we didn't relate too years ago we can discover real joy in now. The opposite is true as well. . . we can outgrow music that we once cherished (at least I can, and have.

As a man who has spent five decades listening to a lot of saxophonists and trumpeters and trombonists and clarinetists et al with piano, bass and drums, a string quartet is a format that I can connect to easily and have. I love the interplay and the tonal mingling of the four instruments crafted by musical minds. There seems an endless way to write for these voices. A lifetime can be spent enjoying and seeking new compositions and interpretations. The format certainly fascinates me, as does the various trios.

Richter! I agree that his is a unique, steadfast voice on the piano. I only have one collection of his work, this one:

Not the very best sound, but it hardly matters thirty seconds after a performance starts. I get lost in the music.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 09/29/23 at 01:19:02

My problem with string quartets was not the quartet format, I'm all in for jazz quartets, wind quartets, or whatever. It was violins. Outside of an orchestral violin section I'm just not crazy about the sound of the instrument, and string quartets are typically violin-centric. That was hill I needed to get over before I could love sting quartets.

I love that Richter concert, the Prokofiev 6th sonata is one of the all time great performances of anything IMO. Another favorite of mine, and definitely more about Richter than Bach is:

On CD.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 09/29/23 at 01:30:17

Rockin’ out with some John Mellencamp on vinyl!  Doing a little celebrating….after 18 of 25 years of work on the midnight shift…I just finished my last night shift!!  Starting on Monday….I will be now be a permanent fixture on the day shift from 6 AM-2PM!  Hoorah!!  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/29/23 at 11:20:12

Congrats Dom!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 09/29/23 at 11:31:37

Congrats Dom! I know how important that is. I tried a second shift job about three years into my retirement (I've been retired 15 years now) and I just could NOT hack it. Day shift is a comfort well earned.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #21 - 09/29/23 at 23:59:06

On of the great things about a masterpiece like the finalSchubert sonata is it is open to a variety of interpretations.

Murray Perahia has a lovely lyrical feeling that is perfect for Schubert (and Mozart). He doesn't plumb the tragic depths like Richter, he plays to the more melodic aspects of the piece.

On CD.

Pollini goes for a more dramatic interpretation, but still finds room for a beautiful melody.

On CD.

And then there is Wilhelm Kempff, who has a little more clear eyed view of the piece. You can call it cool or aristocratic, but Schubert doesn't need any help from the interpreter to be interesting.

On CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 09/30/23 at 01:49:28

Murray Perahia! I have this set below, listened to the whole set (and watched the DVDs) with my Dad and then went through the whole set by myself on my main system, and have listened to bits and pieces since then. I really like the way he interprets and plays, and as you say the melody is an important element of his style.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23 - 09/30/23 at 15:46:46

That's an awesome box Lon!

On my very short list for "The most beautiful 7 minutes in music" is Perahia playing Schubert's Impromptu Op. 142 No. 2 in A-flat.

On CD.

The whole CD is yet more fantastic late Schubert, but that piece has been a favorite since a very simplified version of the opening melody was part of my piano lesson when I was 10 or 11. My brother played some bits of it at my wedding.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #24 - 09/30/23 at 18:50:09

Nice thread; thanks for putting it up. I started listening to suggestions last night and continued into the morning.  I have long been aware of classical music, but I had no idea where to jump in. The thread provides that.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #25 - 09/30/23 at 21:18:43

Moving on from Schubert, for now. Ralph Vaughn Williams reminds me of Villa-Lobos: both are closely associated with their home country, England for RVW. And both have well known shorter works, in RVWs case the Fantasias on Greensleeves and  the Theme by Thomas Tallis and Lark Ascending, while his larger works are less know. His 2nd Symphony (London) is one of my favs.

On CD.

But they are all interesting and highly individual.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #26 - 09/30/23 at 21:44:05

And then there is Bruckner. I fell hard for Bruckner the first time I heard it, but it seems like a tough nut for a lot of people. The symphonies are long and rather technical, but they have episodes of unsurpassed beauty and grandeur. A possible entry point for the uninitiated or unconvinced is the 4th movement of the 5th symphony, which is pretty much a mini-symphony in it's own right. And the final coda is guaranteed to take your stereo, and your neighbors to the absolute limit.

16/44 FLAC download

Since the '50s the Chicago Symphony has been famous for its brass section. And if, in the 21st century, it doesn't really make sense to talk about which section of which elite orchestra is better than the others they play magnificently in these recordings.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #27 - 10/01/23 at 17:34:54

Delightful modern music that sounds like it could have been written 200+ years ago. Because it was inspired by 200+ year old music.

Stravinsky: Pulcinella Suite - Prokofiev: Classic Symphony, 16/44 FLAC Download.

IMO Stravinsky is at his best when he is ripping off someone else, which he did frequently and without shame. In this case for many years people that it was an 18th century Italian, Giovanni Battista Pergolesi but it turns out to be more complicated than that. Prokofiev (who, along with Bartok, is my favorite 20th century composer) said his "Classical" symphony was written the way he imagined Haydn or Mozart might write if they were alive at the time.

The Prague Chamber Orchestra plays with great panache, and all the wind colour you would expect from an Eastern European band.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 10/02/23 at 16:19:13

Now disc 4

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #29 - 10/02/23 at 22:21:49

Leon Fleisher and George Szell go together like chorizo and eggs: perfectly. This is just one of the most perfect performances I can imagine.

HDTT DSD Download

The recording isn't great, but it sounds pretty good as a HDTT download.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 10/03/23 at 01:45:55

Mas de España.

16/44 FLAC Download.

Spanish piano music, well played and well recorded.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 10/03/23 at 21:59:18

For a lot people Spanish (classical) music is flamenco riffs and exotic harmony. But for me it is back to the bad old days of the Spanish Inquisition and some of the most magnificent choral music ever written.

16/44 FLAC Download.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #32 - 10/05/23 at 04:00:37

More Renaissance polyphony. This album is cool because each disc starts with a plainchant, which is like a medieval pop song, and then has a mass based on it and gives it the full polyphonic contrapuntal treatment. And the masses are amazing.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #33 - 10/06/23 at 00:00:17

Yet more fabulous choral music.

DSD rip from SACD

This sounds like it could have been written 500 years ago, but is in fact from the 20th century. Track 3, "Blessed is the Man" is also in the running for the 7 most beautiful minutes in music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 10/06/23 at 10:23:47

Starting the morning off with something diffferent that I haven't heard for a while. This edition has a hi-res verson on DVD that sounds great, but my main system doesn't play DVD (my other two systems do) so. . .here's the excellent sounding cd version.

Shostakovich: Pavel Kogan, Moscow State Symphony Orchestra – Symphony No. 5 Opus 47

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 10/06/23 at 21:15:52

I struggle with Shostakovich. I absolutely respect and admire his contributions to 20th century music, but generally I just don't like it that much.  But if I did have a favorite it would be his 5th symphony, which is very famous. To me, the great 20th century 5th symphony is by Prokofiev.

HDTT DSD Download. This recording, and at least a few others by Herbert von Karajan, is no longer available from HDTT so I can't download the cover, this is the CD I have.

Karajan is rather controversial for a conductor, both politically and musically. Politically because the was a Nazi but would not talk about it after the war. And musically because, while he saw himself as the heir to the German classical tradition of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms, a lot of people, myself included, find find him much more convincing in Russian music like Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky. With a couple exceptions I don't care for his Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert or Brahms at all. In addition to the Russians I like a lot of his Sibelius, Strauss and Brucker.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 10/06/23 at 21:21:03

There's a sort of bold raucousness to some of Shostakovich that I like, but I haven't listened to a lot of his, and I don't gravitate to Russian composers as much.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #37 - 10/07/23 at 02:25:39

In case you are wondering, the winner of "The 7 most beautiful minutes in music" is the slow movement of the Mozart Clarinet quintet. Just time stoppingly beautiful, YMMV. And this is the most beautiful of the many recordings I have of the piece.

DSD rip from SACD

To my mind Mozart was unsurpassed at writing the singing vocal line. And he was at his best in opera and concertos where he could write for the solo instrument like it was a singer. To the benefit of clarinetists for the last 200+ years clarinet was one of this favorite instruments, and this quintet (essentially a concerto but with quartet accompaniment rather than orchestral) and the clarinet concerto he wrote at the very end of his life are two of his finest works.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 10/07/23 at 15:58:45

My Dad was a big Mozart fan. I think he would answer sometimes that Mozart was his favorite. Sometimes Beethoven. Sometimes Gershwin. Those were his three favorite classical music genii.

I am much less a fan of Mozart than he. I don't hear the depth in the music that hit him immediately. But I respect the genius.

This morning I listened to most of the SACD disc in this release. The 2L series has a Blu-ray audio disc, and an SACD disc of the performances in each release. When I was using the PS Audio Directstream Memory Player transport I could play the Blu-ray and those discs sounded spectacular, perhaps a bit better than the SACD, which I sort of found amusingly scandalous. When I upgrated to the PS Audio PerfectWave SACD transport I lost the ability to play the Blu-ray discs, but the SACD discs did sound a little better, so no real loss.

The audio on this one is so sophisticatedly presented with room sound and a fully resonant instrumenal image that it takes a really fine system to decipher it with accuracy and portray the emotion. I have that. Vivid sound, especially the violin. A nice variety of pieces as well.

2l.no/pages/album/137.html

"Interactions" 2L-137-SABD

Bård Monsen, violin
Gunnar Flagstad, piano

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #39 - 10/07/23 at 17:54:25

Honestly, a lot of Mozart is not very deep. Perfectly crafted and lovely, but nothing more. It wasn't until later in his life, after his friendship, and friendly competition with Haydn, and his discovery of J.S. Bach that he started stretching his genius to produce works that were more profound. His later operas, the concertos for horn and the last half dozen or so piano concertos are some examples. Of course nothing wrong if they don't speak to you.

There are many excellent recordings of the Mozart Piano Concertos. Murry Perahia is an obvious choice, but for the stormy (for Mozart), proto-romantic K. 466 in D minor I like Clifford Curzon.

On CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 10/07/23 at 18:22:31

Yes, I've heard nearly all Mozart and bought the complete Mozart box set for Dad and listened to most of it with him, and have a number of Mozart pieces myself, including the Perahia, etc. I like him fine. . . I just don't list him in my top favorites.

"Late in Mozart's life" was way too early to pass away!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #41 - 10/07/23 at 19:19:57

Mozart, Beethoven...and Haydn. The Big 3. Beethoven is at the top of a lot of people's mountain, including mine. Mozart is considered a miracle of western art. But what to make of Papa Haydn, the nice guy in the powdered wig? Many of us know he invented the string quartet and the symphony but respect his place in history rather than actually listen to his music. I know I mostly felt like he wanted to be Mozart when he grew up, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That all changed when I decided to make Haydn one of my COVID projects. I listened to all the symphonies and all the string quartets and it turned my musical world upside down. Now my position is he is not just important but as interesting, creative and inventive as any composer who ever lived. JMO, but you'd be crazy to disagree . He was famously friends with Mozart, and they clearly and great respect for each other. And the thing with Haydn is, in addition to everything else he was a very shrewd judge of talent. When he heard Mozart's piano concertos and operas he stopped writing his own, because he knew he couldn't compete. He also knew Mozart's symphonies and string quartets (some of which were dedicated to him), and continued to write his own until the very end of life, because he knew his were every bit as good (if not better...).

Pick a few "random" symphonies and you'll likely be amazed at how individual, creative and just plain good they are.

On CD, from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra Box. Anything the OCO has recorded is well worth listening to.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #42 - 10/09/23 at 15:51:56

Haydn invented the symphony, and Mahler pretty much stuck a fork in it. Took it to 11 if you will, more on that below.

SHM-CD. My second desert island recording.

Mahler was "complicated." He was obsessed with (among other things) his own death, and the idea that so many composers died after writing their ninth symphony. So after he wrote 8 symphonies the called the next one Das Leid von der Erde (The Song of the Earth). Then he wrote his ninth symphony which is largely about death, started a tenth (technically eleventh) and died before he finished it. After Mahler there really wasn't any practical way to make a symphony bigger or more emotional, so for the last century or so composers have generally gone either more "classical" or aggressively modern when writing a symphony.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #43 - 10/13/23 at 12:27:37

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 10/13/23 at 12:40:32

That's some very good music.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #45 - 10/14/23 at 03:49:42

Very interesting Geno. I’m on the road ATM hoping to get pictures of the eclipse, but when I get home I clearly need to explore BnF.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #46 - 10/14/23 at 16:27:55

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 10/14/23 at 16:50:57

Geno wrote on 10/14/23 at 16:27:55:

E. Power Biggs. . . I got to meet him as a kid. Biggs wrote the Forward to my father's bio of my great great great great great grandfather, one of the first American pipe organ builders, David Tannenberg.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 10/14/23 at 16:56:24

Very cool Lon!

I did not know much about Mr. Biggs, and found out about him through Ormandy.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 10/14/23 at 17:00:54

He was a big deal at the time. I remember later much being made of the fact that he was involved with and played an organ where there were amplified speakers involved instead of pipes I believe. Seemed weird when you were someone who traveled around to hear the remaining pipe organs built by his ancestor, and even got to pump the bellows of a few. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print