Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 03:27:47 

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 144633 times)
jec3504
Ex Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #1550 - 03/08/22 at 02:46:07

Hi hazmania,

Yes would love to see pictures. Going to build some. Been to cold and my garage is to full. That will be solved soon. It will all be heading north. Have to open up my north cottage in the woods. Can't leave too much up there in the winter.

Did put some F15's into some butcher block counter tops. Really like them a lot!

IP Logged
hazmania
Verified Member

Reply #1551 - 04/18/22 at 14:57:08

https://ibb.co/album/fQS5gZ

Sorry for the delay (life got in the way). I followed the plans I purchased closely except I used screws into a base block then Kreg screws from the block into the baffle since I wasn't concerned about shipping or disassembly. Gave it a cleaner look.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1552 - 04/18/22 at 17:18:49

Beautiful!  How do you like the sound?  Have you played with tilting them back?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #1553 - 04/19/22 at 02:03:07

Nice hazmania,

They look fantastic and bet they sound great. Nice job!

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #1554 - 04/23/22 at 16:56:59

Hey Steve,

I have a couple of questions.. I read thru this thread last night. It's a lot to digest. Maybe this was answered already, apologies if that's the case. It's easy to miss something after reading that many pages!

-What happened to the foam on the back of the speaker base? I don't see it in the pictures on the product pages.

-Is there or do you have any plans to accommodate the lean back into the design itself? Or is/will it continue to be a user add-on?

- Do the tonewood properties come into play here on the baffles?
(There's some tonewood info over on the guitar lobby website - can't post links yet)

Thanks!

Ron

(New to THIS audio forum and awaiting my Decware Intergrated Amp  ;) )

edit: added tonewood question

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • BAT VK-33 • Decware TORII MK5 • Caintuck Fast8s • GR Research ServoSub • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
hallcon83
Verified Member

Reply #1555 - 04/26/22 at 22:19:36

Hi Hazmania , You did a great job , very nice looking speakers!

- Can you tell me what kind of Wood you used , and what finish you put on them?

Thank you, Dean

IP Logged
hallcon83
Verified Member

Reply #1556 - 04/26/22 at 22:22:17

-  Hello ,  can anyone tell me the approximate weight of a pair of ZF15L speakers??

-  I realize it will vary a little based on what kind of wood is used, I'm just trying to figure out how hard they will be to move around,

Thank you , Dean

IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #1557 - 04/27/22 at 05:50:24

About choice of wood:

I built 2 pairs of the small Betsy’s for silver 10’s.  The first was made from Sassafras 9low ratio of elasticity to density; i.e. high damping), and the second from Poplar (high ratio).  I compared them with a single Chanel open baffle W-15 base driven by a plate amp.  I could not hear a difference. Two caveats: it toook me about 40 minutes to switch over from one baffle set to the other.  Also, the Betsy’s are small which probably limits the effect of the wood on the sound.  Nevertheless, I suppose that if the effect was large I would have heard it.  Also, based on the great amount of info on this board and elsewhere I assume that an inert baffle is best (especially when it Get’s large). So, go with a low ratio wood or add thickness (which has a major effect on damping).  Based on what I’ve learned so far I’ve decided to build Liionidas open baffles with one silver 10 and one W-15 per side.  Making them out of live edge slabs (one on each side).  The slab is on order.  I’ll post more when the project is completed.

IP Logged
hazmania
Verified Member

Reply #1558 - 04/30/22 at 23:09:39

Thanks all for the compliments. To answer your questions, they do sound great. I am using an Audio Research tube preamp but am on the list for a SE84UFO2 which will be more appropriate than my 150 watts per channel Odyssey monoblocks. I DID tilt them back with about a 1 1/2" lift in order to raise the sound stage. I didn't really notice any loss of bass at that level (they did at 2") after dialing them into that height. Now I am working on a solid "sled" to fill in the space created by the lift. I don't know if this will make a difference sound-wise or just on looks. I don't remember anyone else bothering. Finally, I used 8/4 hard maple finished at 1 1/2" on everything and finshed with two coats of Rubio Monocoat. Rubio Monocoat is actually a floor finish (you can buy online). It really makes woodgrain pop and is a foolproof application. The downside is one coat of Monocoat is a flat finish. 2 coats of Monocoat (lol) helps bring it to satin. The price seems high for what you receive but when I factor in time and sanding between coats saved I think it is a good value, especially for a guy like me with a dusty 1/2 of a two car garage in which to do everything. I can't imagine breaking out my compressor and spraying poly on anything going forward.

IP Logged
hazmania
Verified Member

Reply #1559 - 04/30/22 at 23:14:51

"-  Hello ,  can anyone tell me the approximate weight of a pair of ZF15L speakers??
-  I realize it will vary a little based on what kind of wood is used, I'm just trying to figure out how hard they will be to move around,
Thank you , Dean"

Take Steve's advice and put the handle on the back and you will be fine. Just use moving sliders and it's easy. Trying to lift/drag without it would be a huge pain (literally).

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1560 - 04/30/22 at 23:33:05

My DIY are about 100lbs each but they slide easily on my wood floors since I put felt pads under them.  I have maybe 35lbs of ballast on each so without they are more like 60 to 70 lbs each.  Not something you'll pick up.  Plus they are incredibly bulky.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
hallcon83
Verified Member

Reply #1561 - 05/01/22 at 08:38:18

- Thank you for information on the weight!  ..... And for the information on the wood used and the finish, very helpful.

---------------

Question:

-  I wonder if anyone has built a pair of Crystal 10s - (now Silver 10's, or a F15's.. keeping the basic shape of the Big Betsy Baffle but with two drivers on the front?

-  So to be clear as mud -  a Crystal 10 plus a woofer , or a F15 plus a woofer both on a slightly elongated Big Betsy shape??  

- Thanks, Dean

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1562 - 05/01/22 at 12:37:15

hallcon83,

I have built a open baffle kind of like you are talking about, just with different drivers.

I'm using 8" Tang Band full rangers and 15" Eminence woofers.
Actually there are 2 of the 15" in each speaker as there is another baffle behind the front baffle.

You can see the second baffle in this picture.

Sorry, I'm being lazy and just using some old pictures.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #1563 - 05/01/22 at 16:29:34

Donnie,

What's with the dual 15" drivers one behind the other? Just curious.

Maybe we should start a DIY computer upgrade for the new Global Moderator.

Battle red to fight the hackers

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #1564 - 05/01/22 at 18:21:53

To paste a web based picture
Click on the Insert Image button
Paste URL between [img][/img]  tags

Insert_Picture.jpg

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #1565 - 05/01/22 at 20:20:21

Go to the image https://i.ibb.co/DYFjFXQ/DSC-0118

Right click on the image and copy the the address or just add .jpg to the end of the string

https://i.ibb.co/DYFjFXQ/DSC-0118.jpg

Place it in the [img][/img] tags

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #1566 - 05/01/22 at 20:29:33

Thanks Dana

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #1567 - 05/01/22 at 23:52:24

Randy used to make a Betsy and Buck which he really liked you'd just have to upscale the size accordingly

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
rolls
Verified Member

Re: Excel/Numbers file for BETSY Baffles
Reply #1568 - 05/22/22 at 02:57:52

There are many baffles around now, they all go back to Randys invention and have been magnified.
I have looked at many sizes and thought, it would be nice to compare them all in a table.
So I have made up an excel file, where you can play with magnification factors until you get the right size for your room.
The sheet calculates height, width, midpoint cutout from the bottom and radius.
blue:    default size of the original Betsys.
           Because Randy has told 17.5" and 18" for width, there are 2 tables.
yellow: These are the results, read only, inches and cm.
green:  There you can fill in factors you like and give the baffles a name.
Its fun to play with the table!

download the file, excel or/and numbers from this link:
https://www.mycloud.ch/s/S00B48FEA3071CB12B8C1D59DD189115076470E8FB4

André

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1569 - 05/22/22 at 11:15:18

Cool worksheet André.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1570 - 08/10/22 at 21:38:42

This thread describing Steve's Big Betsy project is the reason I have two brand new F15 drivers chomping at their bits right now.

Instead of beginning a new thread, I am hoping that I can post some progressive results in this thread.

I notice it has gone way off topic in several directions.
I'm OK with all that, but, since I am in this boat like many of the curious, I thought that keeping this thread going would be more beneficial than another diverse arrogantly placed self absorbing new thread.

I spent half the morning cutting the curved sides of the baffle design that Steve posted early in this thread. I have decided to go the full size 42" concept, not reducing it for my small room. I thought about this a lot!

I even made cardboard cutouts to better guage what to expect in my small room. 42 it is.
I'm leaving the alchemy out for now, going with what works.

Not sure what the extra 1/16th inch in heigth was about, but I kept it.
Some lengthy sanding to the marks is left. My beginner trial baffles I can lift, plywood and MDF sandwiches glued and drying for three days now, and I used my band saw, which I have finally uncluttered enough to have walking space around it.
In fact, I clamped them together and slowly sawed both at the same time. I mean why else does one own a band saw?

Centers are marked at published height and router work will be next after some more sanding. I plan to front mount the drivers with an inset for the frames. I've seen some done with rear mounting and cute rounding of the front. Nice looking with great wood, but I am building a test baffle not the real thing.

From the early remarks Steve posted, there does not seem to be any back tilt dialed in from the beginning. I am making mine up square with no tilt. Adding tilt if wanted once they are active.

Steve mentioned in the informative parts of this thread that an average guy could make something partway with average skills.
I am attempting.

Back to my "Honey, overdue" list for the afternoon. Plant stands, ceiling hangers, even an IKEA assembly. My daughter is doing the IKEA work, but I will manage following instructions, using the right tool, not breaking things, etc.

Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #1571 - 08/11/22 at 00:54:40

Hey DD,

Have plants on the speaker hole cut-outs. Made the better half happy at the same time.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1572 - 08/11/22 at 04:32:03

Great idea, but my daughter already claimed the cutouts for her macrame '70s looking shelf things she makes.
Grin

Wife is fairly happy, but I will only get a few days with unfinished project things inside. Pushed it a little with my last mock up.
I plan to fool her and paint these before I bring them in, even to my own room.
You need at least two wheels to keep the wagon rolling and she is a solid one. It's up to me to hold up my side.
Wink

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Jeff Ferguson
Verified Member

Reply #1573 - 11/13/22 at 20:58:24

I discovered this thread a few days ago and have been transfixed reading about Steve's OB project. I have been curious about OB speakers for a couple of years and I think this thread has given me the incentive to give it a go.

A question for Steve or anyone else...what router bit is best to make the cuts in these hard exotic woods? I assume a 1/2" shank would be the way to go. I don't have a plunge router but am thinking of buying one.

Thanks!

Decware Zen Triode SE84CS
NVA A80 Mono Blocks
Modwright KWA 100SE
VPI Aries/Ortofon Jubilee/AT ART9
Bent Audio TAP-X Passive Preamp
JLTI MM/MC Phono
Coincident Super Eclipse III
Esoteric SA-50 SACD Player
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #1574 - 11/14/22 at 14:24:59

1/4 inch spiral solid carbide

IP Logged
rockdoc
Verified Member

Reply #1575 - 12/24/22 at 05:08:58

1/4" carbide tipped; I used one from Harbor Freight, worked fine No need for a plunger router; just build a flexible radius jig and drop it in as you cut. Multiple passes 1/8" each.....  ......

Steve T

IP Logged
rockdoc
Verified Member

Reply #1576 - 12/24/22 at 05:11:41

Holy Schnikies! my F-15s in 36" high single thick black walnut, and just tonight hooked up the first of two "Bucket Subs" on a 300 watt plate amp...... good stuff...  Anyone else here doing Bucket Subs?

Steve T

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1577 - 12/24/22 at 13:48:16

I've not tried any "bucket subs."

I did bring in some 12" sealed Infinity subs for a while, but the match was not great.
I found the crossover points available with the built in Infinity on board setups were too high to match well with the F15s.

I am in the process of building up a pair of "H" frame style baffles and bringing in a seperate amplifier and an electronic crossover with much more refined controls as another test case.

So far, except for a few days with the Infinity pair, I have been listening to the F15s as they are in 36" tall plywood mock up Open Baffles in my small room for about two months.
Not much to complain about.
A little low bass shy, but I am working on a plan.

They sound so good, otherwise, I am not really in need of a rush to change.

IP Logged
rockdoc
Verified Member

Reply #1578 - 12/24/22 at 15:58:34

https://www.transcendentsound.com/bucket-sub.html

sounds great with my F-15s....

Steve T

IP Logged
rockdoc
Verified Member

Reply #1579 - 01/15/23 at 12:53:58

as my big Betsy type F-15s break in, running with one bucket sub, the sound is ridiculously good. The bucket subs are the best sub I've heard, and they are really easy and inexpensive to build.....

Steve T

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #1580 - 02/08/23 at 17:08:59

Loving this thread. Thank you for all the valuable information. I'm prepping to start my own Betsy-esque build with my father.

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Micklark
Verified Member

Reply #1581 - 04/02/23 at 07:40:58

Can anyone tell me exactly how the bottom supports bolt to the baffles? Maybe it's just me, but I can't work it out. TIA.

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #1582 - 05/22/23 at 01:07:40

I've been sitting on a couple of F15s and W15s for a few years now and now I really need to get moving on a project. In the meantime, since Covid times, timber is in short supply here in Australia and prices have blown out enormously. So much so that I've discounted the feasibility of using hardwood for a Big Betsy design. Thick plywood is also very expensive now. MDF is still quite reasonable, so I've decided to go down that path. The only issue is that the thickest MDF I can source is only 32mm. I can create additional constrained layer damping by bonding an additional 6-9mm thick MDF or ply panel to the back using an industrial grade rubberised glue.

Currently I use a pair of transmission line subwoofers with 10" Peerless drivers. However, I've recently discovered that the bass frequencies of vinyl records are summed to mono, so there probably is no real benefit in having two OB subs powered by W15s. Is this even true? Any thoughts on one or two W15 Betsy subs for a 5m x 9m room with 3.5m ceiling?

Here are what I've been listening to up until now. I recycled a French Oak wine barrel, reshaping the staves slightly for a tighter curve. These sound amazing with the Lii Audio Fast 8s driven by my 2.3w Spud Kit 6CL6 amp with mil-spec tubes.

check symbol copy and paste

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print