Guitar amplifiers (Read 189 times)
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Guitar amplifiers
04/26/24 at 19:35:45

After I posted in HellionDarkLord’s recent thread, I started to think why was  I building loudspeakers with cardboard cabinets? While mindlessly riffing in my “music” room, it dawned on me. Even in high school  I had a job & every once in a while I would even get paid for playing my Viola. And I saw my Pignose sitting there. I thought to myself that’s what started it. Let’s not dwell on guitar buying (or the 1937 Kreutzmann baby grand that I bought & didn’t shift until earlier this century). So back in 1974 I picked that up, it’s an early “red label “ that I bought new.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Re: Guitar amplifiers
Reply #1 - 04/26/24 at 19:55:26

Well, many amps have come & gone in the intervening years but some have stuck. Like this puppy that I picked up in the late ‘70’s, a metal panel, 4-holer, 50 watter  from 1973. The model # is I believe is “1987” though it just says “Lead” on the back. As you can see it’s paired up to a “1960B” basket weave cab with 4, 25 watt greenbacks, from about the same year. Picked those up used, but I think I got some gigs just because of that rig & the glorious sound that it would produce.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/26/24 at 20:19:16

I have a lot more amps than I need for my guitars and basses but there are two that I use predominantly.

And they are the two newest to me, and they are ones I would have never investigated earlier in my explorations as they are not fully tubed.

The real workhorse is the Fender Bassman TV Fifteen. A tubed preamp into a very powerful non-tube amp paired with a fifteen inch speaker. Fantastic clean sound for my guitars, and a deep and shaking sound for my basses. I love this amp!! With guitar I add a little bit of reverb from my Shreyer Audio reverb unit.

The other has no tube, but it has the real jazz sound I crave. Mine is a prototype with just one channel (the production unit has a second channel with effects) and a wine colored finish that I don't think was available other wise. It is so light a combo but with a rich sound!

Fender Jazzmaster Ultra-light SE

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #3 - 04/26/24 at 21:43:09

Love me some tweed. So after a bunch of combos from Fender, MusicMan, Legend (cool wooden cab & cane grill)even Polytone among others, I picked this up. A Tweed “Deluxe” from Tom Mitchell after he left Mesa. A surprisingly loud 60 watts.

That was the first half of the 80’s   Since then, nothing much hung on until I got this Carr Telstar. The thing that makes it unique is the el84 vs. a 6L6 in push- pull. I don’t know if anyone else is using dissimilar tubes together like that.

Then there’s the Dark Gene Green. Pumping out one half watt using a 12au7 as it’s single ended power tube, played mostly through this tweed MojoTone Slammin’ cab with a EVM12L speaker.

Lon, thanks for paying attention, everyone else, batter up!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/26/24 at 21:54:26

I like tweeds too, I also have a '59 Bassman reissue that I loved madly til the TV Fifteen shook her booty at me and drew me to her.

I also have a little Epiphone with EL84 and had a really cool Blackheart single-ended EL84 that a neighbor with no amp really liked so I gave it to him--my wife is always telling me to downsize, so I made a few points that I probably lost later. The Epiphone is like an icepick if you turn it up, don't use that often. I have a Blues Jr. wrapped in tweed that is nice too though the reverb tank has gone out twice.

And a few more, gathering dust.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #5 - 04/27/24 at 02:03:05

Thanks Lon,I love rockin’ a tweed Bassmen, can’t afford a real from the 50’s but the newer ones are cool. Do you have the LTD or the slightly older one with 4 alnico speakers? Do you jumper the channels?  I would need something like a Dr. Z Airbrake mounted inside. Does anybody have a Divided by 13?  There’s 4 different Dr. Z amps from up your way that I have my eye on. Then there’s Kowalski’s tweed 5c3 with octal pre-amp tubes that I hear calling my name. Plus he has a 2 watt Dark Gene Plus “head” & 12 watt combo coming out soon that should be sweet. I like to rotate usage so that the wife can’t complain about any just sitting around. Plus they all inspire me to play somewhat differently.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 04/27/24 at 15:14:47

Quote:
Posted by: BlackBess      Posted on: Yesterday at 13:43:09

...I got this Carr Telstar. The thing that makes it unique is the el84 vs. a 6L6 in push- pull. I don’t know if anyone else is using dissimilar tubes together like that...

What the what?!?!?! That sounds more like something by Dr. Dolittle.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #7 - 04/27/24 at 15:50:43

Check out the Carr website, he has some pretty cool amps, love me a Mercury V or a Super Bee someday before I punch out. Let’s make some noise & call it music. Thanks for the amusing picture. But a more accurate image would have dissimilar heads.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #8 - 05/03/24 at 22:24:25

This is the tube layout for the Carr Telstar amplifier. As is noted, the 6L6 slot can be occupied by different tube types such as the el34 or 6V6 among others.

Here’s another cute little puppy of a single el84, 5 watt Carr amp with a 10” speaker next to a Pignose for scale. It’s just over a foot in height. A Carr Raleigh.

This car may only have one “R” but darn if that carbon/kevlar weave doesn’t have a tweed look to it.

And as Headwig would say, “Enemies & advisories, they try to tear me down”

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print