Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 02:36:19 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers (Read 50029 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers
Reply #150 - 11/02/22 at 16:34:05

I have no earthly idea. The rubber-cork pads simply raise the front end of the baffle about1". The bulk of the baffle bottom plate stays in contact with the floor. I have wall to wall carpeting so there's that to. Raising this small amount does not adversely effect the bass response of speaker.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 11/03/22 at 02:03:06

So, did a 4 hour virgin listening/break-in session with the drivers on the carpeted floor propped up against my tower speakers and slightly toed in.  Ran some tracks, then left the room and put on some speaker burn-in tracks including pink and white noise and then came back and listened some more.  Quick & dirty thoughts below:

Considering their fresh of the boat condition, I was taken aback by the spaciousness (airyness?) of the sound, the decay, and clarity/crispness.  Mid range was the standout—with vocals to die for but that doesn’t mean the higher frequencies were not up to the mark.  They were, and then some.
The only thing that didn’t impress me was the bass response, which is understandable given they are sitting naked on the floor (I swear that’s a line from a song).  Once I receive Randy’s baffles, I expect the lower frequency response to catch-up.  

Decided to unhook them for now since I’m paranoid that they will get damaged sitting there with kids using the basement for their video pleasure, not to mention the basement looks like an ugly science project at the moment.  Looking at those big and decidedly yellow drivers on the ground, my better half already made a comment about how my Klipsch speakers are the best looking thing in the room.  It’s the first time she ever complimented my setup—so (ironically) I owe Lii Audio a big thank you!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #152 - 11/03/22 at 03:22:24

This frequency response doesn't jive with what I am hearing.  I have a pair of Fast 15 that I am breaking in using the "big betsy" ZF15L baffles.  My first impression was I was less than impressed with the spongey bass, abiet a lot lower it was slower and lacked texture.

That said, I have been running the hours on them to see where they land.  It has been hard for me, becuase I simply removed my seasoned pair of F15's and installed these new fast 15's in their place.  Besides the bass quality at first, the midrange was hard to digest. As well the top end.  I am just comparing them to the previous drivers, and the baffles have not been moved.

The response is peaky.  It has discombobulated my highly resolute sound stage that now changes from track to track.  Some things are way better than I've heard them and some are way worse.  The driver is somewhat re-mixing the recording by peaking midrange and treble frequencies thus moving things way forward in the sound stage, and dropping other things way back.  There are certain recordings that finally after 40 years shined and sounded right to me for the very first time.  However there are a lot more that are getting wrecked.  

This may change as I get the hours on them.  We're at about 150 hours so far.  The bass has improved a lot since the first two hours, and by that I mean it has tightened up, which I didn't expect.

After awhile I had to look up the response shown above and frankly that's not really what I am hearing in my room.  

Today I measured them in the F15L baffles and was completely stunned to see the -3dB point is 30Hz!  And from 30Hz to around 400Hz was impressively flat.  That might be worth trading a little speed and texture for, because the F15 in the same baffle in the same location goes silent at 50Hz.

Today I measured the speakers to see the gated response in my room, which is not that far off anechoic.  Consistent with what I've been hearing. A tilt in the midrange and a large presence peak.

Frankly compared to the F15 in these baffles, it's going to be a no go unless it can be improved.  In fact I almost removed them and gave up until I measured them and saw how flat the bass response was and down to 30Hz in a baffle is a first.  So I will continue to burn them in and am playing with very simple 6dB crossover coils to see if I can tame it.  I didn't have the right value to get it where I want, so I have ordered more and will continue next week.

Meanwhile here is the raw response after 150 hours.

click to enlarge

To get the reference/honest sound stage of the F15 in these same baffles with these drivers the response is going to have to be tamed.  To have my open baffles drop to 30 Hz and actually have a touch more presence and upper midrange and treble extension would be exiting. So lets see what we can make happen!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 11/03/22 at 13:56:20

Thanks for posting the raw response!
Except for the lowest octave, which is impressive, that looks a lot like what I was hearing with my original F15s at first. 10 or 12dB peaks and dips all over the midrange.

Let's hope that these smooth out as well as the originals do.
And let's hope you won't need any coils to make them work.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #154 - 11/05/22 at 01:29:00

I have been doing as much listening to the Fast-15 drivers as time will allow over the past few days.

They have smoothed out a bit, but as Steve observed, they can be "recording dependent" at this point.

On a "hot" or "thin" recording in my room and system, they can be unpleasant ..... but on a good recording they are a revelation.
Happily for me, I have spent a good part of the past 15 years searching for music that is well recorded with a good tonal balance.

I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed a two-hour session with the Fast-15 drivers last night.

One of my customers who lives about 100 miles away (and has become an audio buddy) has told me that he really didn't care for the F-15 drivers at first. His original speakers had Betsy drivers and he added a second pair of baffles with the F-15 drivers.
He stated that it took about 500 hours of playing time in his system before the F-15 baffles sounded good to him ..... and now he loves them.
He will be visiting tomorrow to do an A/B between the F-15 and Fast-15 baffles in my room.

I'm looking forward to his thoughts .....

If the worst-case scenario happens and the drivers do not "mature" as hoped, Steve's inductor fix might be the answer.

However, based on the good things that I have heard so far ..... I am willing to be patient to see what some break-in time will reveal.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 11/05/22 at 10:16:38

It will be interesting to see the frequency response once the new F15s get 500 plus hours. Looks like the whizzer cone is going to be a tough wild cat taming.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 11/09/22 at 12:46:08

While I don't expect any early Fast 15 adopters have 500 hours on their drivers, does anyone want to provide an update? I am particularly interested if the elevated upper midrange and treble response that Steve measured has dissipated with additional hours. What say you folks?

The Lii Audio free shipping extended offer ends tomorrow. Is the driver a real upgrade from the F15 driver or not in your opinion?

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #157 - 11/09/22 at 13:25:03

I have 210 hrs on mine and things are getting interesting.  More from me in the next few days when I get time to outline my journey.  :-)

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
rabidseamonkey
Verified Member

Reply #158 - 11/10/22 at 19:07:05

Bit of a lurker finally checking in... thanks everybody for all the discussion. I'll also be interested if anyone has any updated reflections before the free shipping promotion ends today. I'm no stranger to full range drivers with presence peaks, having lived with Lowthers for some time before I got my F-15. So, I'm not really looking to upset the apple cart in terms of the exceptional balance and coherency of the F-15s.

I was searching for a response curve to compare with Steve's measurements of the new fast 15 drivers. Can't post the link/image here directly because it's my first post but it's #965 on page 20 of the Steve's Big Betsy Project thread. There are peaks and troughs of course but overall there's no "rising" response like with so many FR drivers.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #159 - 11/11/22 at 02:02:24

I have done some more work with the Fast 15 driver.  Break-in is not going to change the frequency balance much, it just makes it sound less rashy while the peaks remain in place.

My problem with them in our room compared to F15 drivers, is at 5kHz you have at best case a 6dB rise above the line where you ear probably settles into the bumped midrange.  Rise isn't really accurate, because there is a peak following a dip exaggerating the contrast.

So I got more parts in this week, both the 1mh and 2mh coils that I needed, and quickly found out that 1mH is more ideal but even that rolled off the top end response, so I played musical capacitor until I got the highs back.

You can see the result of this below:

click to enlarge

The Blue is the raw response.  The Red is with a 1mH choke in parallel with a .68uF film cap.  Notice that the phase inversion introduced by the capacitor creates an out of phase output relative to the original response so there is a hole where the peak was. Without the cap the response was fading fast after 10kHz.

This is just two parts and they're in parallel.  Still pretty Zen, but I listened to this and the hole at 6K made everything sound too smooth and soft. So we're going to need one more part... a resistor.  It too will be in parallel with the first two parts.  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #160 - 11/11/22 at 02:09:07

The value of the resistor will be critical. The resistor will overpower the capacitor and reduce the phase shift so we want to get it somewhere between the blue peak and the red hole.

After clipping in different values I realized it's going to have to be dialed in perfectly, so I got an adjustable resistor and simply slid the adjustment around between each measurement until I got as good as it was going to get.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #161 - 11/11/22 at 02:29:33

The following is the result of putting each of the three parts together in parallel.  Each line is the result of adjusting the resistor.

click to enlarge

Below is the final result in light green.

click to enlarge

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #162 - 11/11/22 at 02:46:33

And here it is with the flat reference line.  We still have a hole but the overall response is far more listenable.

click to enlarge

Final value for the resistor was 36.5 ohms.  Here is the schematic:  The switch is so the network can be disabled.

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #163 - 11/11/22 at 02:55:51

Steve,

Have you been in touch with Lii about this? Just wondering what their opinion of this is?

Very interesting!

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #164 - 11/11/22 at 03:06:29

It's good you bring that up, because I can assure you they will firmly stand behind their original voicing.  They make many versions each different and listen to them, choosing the best 100% by ear.  A presence peak can be very appealing, especially from a 15 inch driver.  

But, in my room as an amplifier designer, I need a flat speaker that doesn't EQ the response.  I have that with the F15.  I will test this network over the next week or two and see if it can win me over.  The drivers have great potential even for me.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 11/11/22 at 11:38:56

Steve,

Thanks for the update, your workaround efforts and insights. Always very helpful to your many customers.

HK

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #166 - 11/11/22 at 18:19:50

As mentioned in my previous post .....

"One of my customers who lives about 100 miles away (and has become an audio buddy) has told me that he really didn't care for the F-15 drivers at first. His original speakers had Betsy drivers and he added a second pair of baffles with the F-15 drivers.
He stated that it took about 500 hours of playing time in his system before the F-15 baffles sounded good to him ..... and now he loves them.
He will be visiting tomorrow to do an A/B between the F-15 and Fast-15 baffles in my room."

Here are the results of the visit .....
We spent several hours doing an A/B of the F-15 and Fast-15 drivers in identical baffles.
I asked him to share his thoughts during the session without providing any of my opinions or observations in advance.
The results were that his observations were nearly identical to mine.

The following is just my opinion (in my listening room with my equipment and playing music that I enjoy and consider "well recorded") and should be taken as such .....

The Fast-15 drivers certainly are "lively" sounding.
I still have some music in my library that is "hot" or "thin" and if a person's music falls into this category, these are probably not the drivers for you.

On the vast majority of the music in my library, these drivers are a revelation.
They combine the lower midrange / upper bass response of the original F-15 drivers with the speed and upper frequency response of the Lii Audio Silver-10 drivers.

They create a HUGE soundstage / stereo image when the recording contains such information.

The separation and space between instruments and vocalists is excellent.

My system includes a third baffle with a Lii Audio W-15 bass driver which adds a nice "foundation" to the music and has to be factored into my final take on these drivers.

The addition of a ZROCK2 in the mix works very well ..... at least for me.

So, there you have it.
I also expect them to improve with additional break in.
Based on my experience, every Lii Audio driver has a "raw" sound until well broken in.

Conclusion - if a person has reservations about the suitability of these drivers for their system, go for the original F-15 drivers.
If the solution to "tame" these drivers that Steve is working on pans out to his satisfaction, that will be an answer for many buyers.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 11/11/22 at 19:44:49

Thanks for everyone's input.  I am probably going to just stick with the original F15s for now.  

I augment them with a tweeter (up firing) and a sub.  I know some folks lean more to a purist approach, but this works for me.

Of my two OBs that I have now, the F15s are the more easy listening speakers while the Crystal 10/Acoustic Elegance LO15 speakers are my more critical listening speakers.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 11/11/22 at 19:58:03

what is the phase plug made of ? acrylic or wood.... hard to tell in photos.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 11/11/22 at 20:59:44

Palomino,

I am also going to hold onto my original F-15's, they just sound too good in my set up. Plus, I need to replace my TT cartridge soon and get a good protractor for installation. I think this will be money better spent.

HK

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 11/11/22 at 21:42:26

Hi Palomino,
If it's not too much trouble, could you elaborate on how you augment your F15s with the upfiring tweeter?
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 11/11/22 at 22:03:52

I made a little "platform" out of baltic birch that has two legs that straddles the top of my baffle.  I use a bit of foam to ensure a tight fit and no rattles.  

The tweeter is on top of each platform held in place with blu tak.   I use blu tak because I changed out the tweeters.  I have tried a couple I had lying around.

I then have a capacitor which limits how low the tweeter plays.  I don't remember the value, but I set it to start a bit lower than the F15 will play up to.  At this point, I am pretty closely matched in terms of tweeter and F15 sensitivity so I don't use a resister or L-pad to quiet the tweeter down.

Then for fun, I made "tweeter balls" which are suspended over the up firing tweeter with a wire to disperse the tweeter sound waves.

https://imgur.com/3TT4syF

For some reason, the picture function is not working for me, but click on the link.  This is a picture of my other baffles with the Crystal 10 but I also use it for the F15 baffles.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #172 - 11/11/22 at 22:20:17

As if by magic!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 11/11/22 at 22:23:25

Tell me what you did oh Donnie-wan.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #174 - 11/11/22 at 22:30:30

Pal,

I cheated is what I did!

Went to your link, copied the picture address and then put it in my Imgur account, resized it to large thumbnail, copied the picture address by right clicking on the picture, then pasting it between the IMG thingies on here.

The secret is the right clicking and copying the address there, I can never get their links to work.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #175 - 11/11/22 at 22:38:36

Is the capacitor in series or in parallel with the tweeter?  When you have a chance I would love to know what value you settled on.  I have a couple of spare tweeters that would be fun to try this with.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 11/11/22 at 22:39:18

Well thank you.  Now everybody can see my tweeter balls.

I'm using a better tweeter now and a better cap.  I don't know how much high end extension I am getting but I hear more more "air."

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 11/11/22 at 22:48:29

Cap is on the +,  3.3uf  

What you use will depend on the ohm rating on your tweeter.   Mine are 4 ohm so around 12K.

There are various calculators out there on the web you can use.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 11/11/22 at 23:23:06

Awesome; thank you, Palomino!
What tweeter are you using currently?
best,
Chris

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 11/11/22 at 23:53:37

A Dayton audio AMT4.  I have it leftover from my W1808 /
15A build.  It’s a little lower sensitivity than I need but much better than the vifa I had laying around.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 11/14/22 at 00:15:08

Thanks, Palomino!

So, did you use this tweeter:
https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1166/amt2-4-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-4...

OR this one:
https://www.parts-express.com/search?keywords=275-094

Just to be sure I have the right one.  Also the 3.3uF cap is being used with this Dayton tweeter; correct?
Thanks so much,
Chris

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 11/14/22 at 13:47:18

Not with my F15s yet, but I also tried a tweeter set up before with my Visaton arrangement.
I built a little hexagon box with a tweeter on each facet, all in series and had a single upward firing tweet in parallel with those six. 8 Ohms in parallel with 48 Ohms (but there were six of those). I had used a little Vifa from Parts Express for this.
It definitely added to the elusive "air" we all seem to want more of.
It did not last long, though. I kept increasing the resistor to greater values, bringing it down more and more.
After a couple of weeks I decided that I already had enough tweet sounds without the box. I did not know anything about tweeter balls, though.
It is now somewhere in the attic, but it did make for and omni-directional presentation for the top octave.
My crossover frequency was about 10K.

Kind of curious for more info about the upfiring ribbon, though.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 11/14/22 at 14:49:10

Hi Chris,

I used the second one, but only because I had it lying around.  I am thinking about researching and buying something else.  Having heard a high quality tweeter in Steve's house speakers has left me thinking a better tweeter might help.   Not that the AMT is a slouch, but its not in the league with what Steve had.

The AMT Pro4 is also large, not as efficient and does not go as high as I would like.   The little vifa tweeter in the photo goes higher and is more efficient, but was not as good a quality.

Now that I've done the proof of concept A/B testing, I do think an up firing tweeter does help the sound in my room.  Now to find the right tweeter.

Also, yes, the 3.3uf goes on the positive terminal of whatever tweeter you use.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 11/14/22 at 16:08:43

Hi Palomino,
Thanks so much! do you happen to know which tweeter Steve was using in his house speakers?  He seems to have a knack for finding the best Smiley
Thanks again,
Chris

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 11/14/22 at 16:35:47

See the house speaker build thread.  I don't know the specs on this one to know if its a candidate but I though it sounded great and I heard details I haven't heard in a number of recordings.

ScanSpeak Revelator R2904/7000-09 Tweeter. - $345 ea.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 11/15/22 at 13:53:17

Thanks, Palomino!  Ouch; those are a bit rich for my blood  :-/
Please keep me posted as you experiment with replacing your tweeters.
best,
Chris

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 11/17/22 at 03:45:32

Loic has them. Just a short clip for now—hopefully detailed impressions soon.

https://youtu.be/7boJ-tIUuME

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 11/17/22 at 13:40:48

Thanks for posting.  You can definitely hear the upper mids and highs.

IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #188 - 11/18/22 at 10:39:52

I'm going to build a large barrel open baffle speaker with the Lii Fast-15 drivers.  I'm curious if anyone has an opinion about MDF vs plywood and a single 3/4" sheet versus gluing two 3/4" sheets together.  Obviously, Decware uses thick hardwood but that is beyond my abilities.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 11/18/22 at 11:41:43

Hi, and welcome, Paul.

I have done a number of mock-up, proof of concept type of builds in recent years using various open baffle ideas.

One thing you run up against rather early in trying to get sound out of a flat-ish panel is that the drivers will need to have something to push against. In other words, a very stable, heavy base or foundation.

One thickness of anything is not going to be stable enough for the drivers you are considering.

Right now I am using a new mock up with the Original F15 drivers. I used an MDF core and have a plywood outer sandwich on each side.
It does OK, but even with three thicknesses, (two and a quarter inches thick) of constructed wood materials, I can still make them sound off as if they are too lightly constructed. And that's with just a handful of watts pushing them.

You will need to add mass!
Remember, Steve talks about how his were about half done and he could not pick them up alone.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 11/18/22 at 14:53:01

I've built MDF and Baltic Birch Ply baffles and like the livelier sound of the Baltic Birch.

I also made my Betsys out of hardwood stair treads which I like, but I should have doubled up on the treads.

If I had the money/skill I would make the thick hardwood baffles as Steve did. Steve's go lower and sound fuller than mine.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 11/18/22 at 15:50:20

I have seen those heavy oak and maple stair treads and was filled with ideas about how they might work out for OB panels.

One of the fellows here made some open baffles out of custom counter top glue ups. I think it was Geno who first clued me to the Custom Install catalog from Lowe's, for instance?
You have to get out of the "local pick up" (default) areas of the website and search for hardwood counter tops.
Amazingly, they are not that expensive for fairly thick hardwood blanks that you can cut to shape yourself. Doubling some of those up will probably be my next build.

BTW, Paul, your wood working skill set does not have to be very high to achieve successes and you can use almost any hand held jig saw to do the hard work. Some sanding the cut lines and you will be well on your way.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 11/18/22 at 16:08:05

I think you can see pictures of my construction process on the original Big Betsy thread.  The countertop idea is far less complex.   I don't know about the cost vs the treads - especially if you doubled up.

I was at the hardwood store the other day and if you went three wide by 42 tall, it would run around $450 as the price of wood remains relatively high.

IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #193 - 11/18/22 at 21:19:04

Thanks for the input and suggestions.  It sounds like at least doubling up the panels is necessary.  This is a for yucks kind of project, the Fast 15's are unlikely to become my main speakers so cost is a factor which rules out the butcher block and hardwood options.  I wonder if combining plywood and MDF would be a good compromise?  

@Same Old DD  I couldn't move a 3 layer baffle so that is out but did you think combining MDF and Plywood had a benefit?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 11/18/22 at 23:26:38

I don’t know about a hybrid. It could be ok.  I’d suggest that over double MDF.  I just thought that sounded dead.  Maybe try some good plywood.  Baltic is expensive but maybe something just below that could be the ticket.

I have a hard time letting go of anything but I burned my doubled mdf baffles.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 11/19/22 at 01:07:19

Loic’s review. Watching right now:

https://youtu.be/-7tehc2-lQk

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 11/19/22 at 22:08:21

Paul, I used what materials I could find locally.
And yes I do believe that using a more dense product (MDF) for the middle layer adds to some stability required. None of what I used is going to add up to enough to compete with some thick, solid hardwood, however.

As I mentioned, this mock up was an early phase of "try things out and see what happens" with something new to me I had just acquired, which was the Original F15 drivers.
Which I absolutely hated at first, BTW. Love them, now!

They will need a great deal of break in time.
Then, you will have a difficult time ever turning them off!
They sounded thin and transistor radioey at first, but after a thousand hours or so, they sound rich, thick, detailed, precise and Established.

Mine have a home, now.

IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #197 - 11/20/22 at 01:48:23

A thousand hours is a lot.  I have a detached carriage house that I suppose I could set the drivers up in and simply let them play for 6 weeks before I even start worrying about building the baffle!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 11/20/22 at 04:57:02

I do not mean to discourage you again, Paul. I feel I was a bit harsh with my first post to you. Sorry, but that part was more about physics.

I have a little over a thousand or so hours on mine. So, they are newish to me still and they have sounded pretty darn good for more than half that time.
Some guys say a hundred hours was fine for them. One guy said his sounded great right out of the box.
Mine did not sound fine right out of the box, but rather disappointing.
I received my pair with a very high Fs, which did not match the advertised specification by more than an octave.

I beat the crap out of mine for about three weeks and they reached a more palatable low range with a much more smooth mid range during that time.

Last I read about Steve's experience with his new Fast 15 drivers, he was still breaking them in. They looked great down low on a response curve, not so smooth up through the spectrum, but he is still working with them.

As I mentioned before, I have no experience with the newer Fast 15 drivers. When I went to try for my own experience with the Fast 15 drivers they were out of stock with no availability timeline offered.
So, I bought the older F15 model. Those arrived in about a week.

YMMV!

Don't let one guy on the internet bother you. I was just relating my still very fresh exposure to these things while trying my best to be honest.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 11/20/22 at 06:27:38

My baffles from Randy will ship on Monday.  Also planning to purchase a cheap SS 25 wpc amp to give the drivers a workout prior to the first real listening session and perhaps rotate between listening and break-in for the first couple of weeks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print