Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:52:06 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers (Read 44557 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers
Reply #300 - 02/04/23 at 04:38:44

Thanks Geno and Tony—-I might play around with this in the near future.  The doorstop idea is an easy and cheap way to gauge whether this will be preferable in my rig before I commit to more aesthetically pleasing solutions.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #301 - 02/04/23 at 21:32:21

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Is the network designed for certain baffle designs only or will it work with all things Fast-15.

Thank you,

-John

It is simply a correction device for the Fast-15, regardless of enclosure or baffle design.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #302 - 02/04/23 at 21:38:30

Regarding the switch, if you look at the last picture I posted, the unit is easily bypassed by plugging the positive speaker cable into the amplifier binding post instead of the circuit board.  

Also, since the circuit board simply does nothing with the negative, you have the option of plugging your cables into the negative on the board or the negative on the amplifier.  I choose the amplifier to remove more weight and strain from the board.

Obviously this isn't going to fit very many non-decware amplifiers despite the standard spacing, so for those users it is recommended to solder some wires to the input side that can then connect to your amplifier.

Another trick is to simply install a pair of binding posts crimped down on the board at which point the board has binding posts on both ends.  Also in this instance as long as the polarity is observed it does not matter which end of the board is the input.  That makes it real easy to put it at the loudspeaker if that works better for you.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #303 - 02/05/23 at 04:12:10

Thank you, Steve.
That was my obvious work around, but it took me a few minutes. Not sure why.

Your design seems perfect. I will get these drivers in my own hands in the coming weeks. An order for your nicely made networks will follow. I trust I will need them as you do.

Thanks for all you have done!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JEllis25
Verified Member

Reply #304 - 02/08/23 at 14:51:01

Steve,

Is that still a 36ohm resistor as originally design or is the 30 or 40ohm?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #305 - 02/09/23 at 04:15:04

Had to think which thread to post this update since it’s also tied to the dedicated circuit but figured I’d stick it here given that it’s Fast 15s that have blossomed with the dedicated line.

Yesterday, I convinced my teenager to sit in the sweet spot and I played 3 tracks for him:

1) Chantal Chamberland’s cover of ‘I Put a Spell on You”—to showcase midrange tonality, imaging, and 3D/Immersion.  Everything is gorgeous about this track, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be the guitar (stage right) extending well beyond the listening position. I confirmed this by sitting two ft. behind him.

2) Joe Bonamassa’s ‘High Water Everywhere (Live)—to showcase the width of the soundstage—those drums on each side seem to extend the boundaries of my room.

3) ‘Make us Stronger’ by Ghost Rider—to showcase chest pounding, unbelievable bass without subs. Anyone who says these full-range drivers can’t produce bass, you need to come to my rig.

After the sampling was done, he just looked stupefied and asked ‘what did you do?”

So, I explained that this change was a result of the dedicated lines I had just installed for my Hifi gear and it was akin to getting a new component.  He seemed super impressed, which is a rare emotion for teenagers — to be impressed by anything their parents do.

His parting comment was “and my friends think airplaying spotify songs on our home theater was dope….”

I’ll take that as a big win.

Speaking of big wins, I played a couple of tracks from Sara Bareilles’ live Brave Enough album earlier today and was rewarded with increased dynamics—her vocal range is just astounding and she was ever more so in the room, or I had VIP seats at that concert (take your pick).  Her piano, stage left, had more authority and also extended further in to the room. Thankfully, no one was in the room, because I couldn’t wipe that stupid grin off my face.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #306 - 06/26/23 at 18:14:16

This thread has been languishing for about six months now.

After reading Steve, Randy, Kamran and others comments on the Fast 15’s I bought a pair.

Mounted them in a pair of sand filled, dual 15 open baffles that I had from years past.

Now we are well over one thousand hours on ‘em.

Here we have a very simple system, Mac Mini, Teac DAC and a Chi-Fi 300B amp.  Exclusively streaming the music.

In this 14’ by 28’ well treated room, we have never had music sound better!

Also, there are a pair of custom made 15” woofers powered by a plate amplifier.

Thanks to everyone for convincing me that this would be a good speaker  to buy.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #307 - 06/26/23 at 20:53:03

Paul
I think these drivers have not yet find their ideal "support", would it be box or else.Mine work very well in their box but I guess they could sound better in some others well calculated, well studied baffle !

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #308 - 06/27/23 at 21:31:34

My guess is that folks are sitting on the edge of their seats for the new platinum 15's .

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #309 - 06/28/23 at 03:05:09

Paul, Good to hear from you!

You beat me to it. I’ve been thinking of adding to this thread for a while now, but keep getting distracted.  I also have (conservatively speaking) 800 hrs on the drivers and I can’t shake the feeling that some of the majesty I’m hearing is not just the component upgrades but the drivers continuing to mature/bloom.  I am with ya…so so happy with these drivers.  Music has never sounded better. Every night is a treat.

That said, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued about the PT 15s.  So far, the reports of the PT 10’s have been really promising so that bodes well.

IP Logged
Aaron
Verified Member

Reply #310 - 08/30/23 at 05:34:47

Hi to everyone, I am new to this forum and would really like to a big thanks to you for such valuable inputs in each topic, I really enjoy reading the posts and find very useful for me.

I have recently ordered a pair of Lii fast 15 and impatiently waiting for the delivery by the weekend to hook them up to Fisher 800C tube receiver.  That might be odd question and already searched but did not find any relevant topic in the forum, I wonder if I can use the open baffle speakers with speaker stands?  Through the years I have changed a lot of loud speakers and used several stands too.  I have now a nice pair of angled stands and want to know if anyone has tried with OB speakers with similar stands, I mean if there is any downside to sound quality or makes any good improvement?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Aaron
Verified Member

Reply #311 - 08/30/23 at 13:47:11

That’s the stand I’ve mentioned, 17” height.

IMG_7410.jpeg
  IP Logged
Aaron
Verified Member

Reply #312 - 08/30/23 at 14:01:40

This is my existing set up, everything is backed to the wall and will make a rearrangement once I receive the drivers and leave some distance with wall.
I used to locate my speakers to my ear level when I am sitting in the room so I am keen to use the stands.  But if the soundstage is that good as everyone advised I won’t need stands.

IMG_7409_001.jpeg
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 08/30/23 at 15:50:50

FWIW,

I think you'd be better off dropping those baffles to floor level. You will lose a lot of bass response on the stands. Try to get at least 2' out from the rear wall so the furniture in between doesn't reek havoc on your soundstage.

You can always tilt the front end of the baffles up 2" or so. This arrangement will give you a much smoother frequency response.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #314 - 08/30/23 at 16:25:41

These baffles look to me like "no baffle" at all. I have been playing for months with the F15 alone directly on the floor while I was thinking of what kind of baffle I would use. I can tell you'll miss the beauty of these drivers.
If you want OBs, do as Steve has done, a rather big piece of wood and plan to place them far away from your walls when you listen.
From your pictures, I am not sure you have the space for it. You know, big drivers need big space.
The good thing with these drivers is you can place them very very near the listening position and you'll get it all at low level.

- Have you ever seen the JBL Paragon ? ...The top of the line for JBL.... How far the drivers are from one another....2m at the most....this means if you respect the usual triangle, the listening position is also at around that same distance from the baffles, which is very close. That is exactly how I listen at them after moving them around for months (mine aren't OBs), then I push them back against the walls after listening.
I hope this will save you time in you setting.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Aaron
Verified Member

Reply #315 - 08/30/23 at 17:13:45

Thanks for your advises HockessinKid.

IP Logged
Aaron
Verified Member

Reply #316 - 08/30/23 at 17:23:41

Thanks Tooppy for your reply, much appreciated.
Size of my baffles not much different than the ones we see in this topic in previous pages and decware web site, so I believe mines seemed you smaller in the pictures.  I would love to get bigger baffles and may have them whenever I move to a bigger place but my current music room not very big to accommodate bigger baffles at the moment.  I totally agree with the distance between the speakers should be large enough and I can move them up to 10 to 15 ft if required, have enough length cables to chase them.  Based on both feedbacks I will remove the stands and play around the room to locate the baffles to get best result. Thank you.

IP Logged
Bloozestringer
Verified Member

Reply #317 - 10/10/23 at 18:41:19

Stupid question, but what size screws should I be looking at to mount the F15's? Temporarily going to put them in a 3/4" birch baffle the size of Randy's to see how they sound.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #318 - 10/11/23 at 02:28:40

It's not a stupid question and there are a number of ways to mount drivers to a baffle.

Smaller drivers you can get away with using small No. 8 or No. 10 by one inch long or so wood screws directly into the wood. Metric equivalents are fine.

15s are heavier drivers and I believe need a bit more support.
Some might disagree, but it kind of depends upon how thick your baffle is.
3/4 inch material is not much to grab for a wood screw. Thicker baffle and wood screws No. 10 size would be fine.

I prefer to use T-nuts for larger drivers or for drivers that I might switch out and exchange from time to time.
Or T-nuts are great if you might need to add damping material or perfect the tuning through the driver cut out and have to remove the driver a few times.

I usually add a drop of super glue to the T-nut part when I install those. Don't get any glue on the threads!! Let it dry completely to be sure. Only takes a minute or two.

Even with the super glue, I like to come in from the back side of the baffle and add a small wood screw to the back of the T-nut to make sure it can never come out, unless you want it to.

I use 10-32 or 3/16 fine thread size most of the time and just long enough to poke through the baffle and T-nut.
I would avoid slot head screws.
Phillips are fine. I prefer Allen head or Torx head. Much less chance of your tool slipping out of the drive slot and damaging an expensive speaker component.

I have a triple thick layer of plywood, MDF and plywood baffle and my F15s are mounted with 1/4 20 T-nuts, installed the way I suggested using 2&1/2 inch Allen head bolts. Wood screws might be fine for my thicker baffle, but I tend to over build for stout on things that are going to vibrate.

If you've never used T-nuts here's a pic.

T-Nut_10-32.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Bloozestringer
Verified Member

Reply #319 - 10/11/23 at 03:03:31

Thanks. I’ve used T-nuts but much prefer Hurricane nuts as they won’t damage or split wood like the prongs of T-nuts can.

These are just temporary baffles to see if I even like the F15’s. I’m not going to put any more than that into them at this point. If I do like them then I’ll be purchasing some magnum baffles from Randy, but I don’t want to drop nearly $800 on baffles if the F15’s don’t work for me. Thus the temporary ones sized and shaped just like Caintucks, just a hair thinner.

I figure a #10 wood screw might work without damaging the gasket, which is what I’m really concerned about.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #320 - 10/11/23 at 03:51:58

Funny!
I've had way more tear outs with Hurricane nuts than with T-nuts. But then as I install mine, nothing can tear out.

My baffles are mock-ups as well, but I had some extra panels sitting around destined for shelving. I eventually want some decent looking hardwood to ramp things up a bit.

It sounds like you know plenty about what to do, already.
Give them a try!  
If yours are the Fast 15s, it might be different from my F15 experience. Several here have those newer version drivers. And some are pleased with them.

I do want to offer one word of advice as a person who almost gave up on his F15s early on.

Let them break in for a while before you judge them too harshly. It took over 100 Hrs for mine to loosen up enough to reach the published Fs spec.
They were sounding pretty good after only half that time, but still had nothing below about 100Hz.

Give them time.

IP Logged
Bloozestringer
Verified Member

Reply #321 - 10/11/23 at 04:12:04

Great thing is I got these off the forum and they supposedly have nearly 500 hours on them already!  I have them on the floor leaned against my other speaker’s stands which are about 6-7 feet apart and 5’ from my chair (very nearfield). The soundstage even then is HUGE and doesn’t even sound like it’s coming from down low. Zero bass of course, but I’m thinking even in the temp baffles they’ll sound great. Like I said if they do then I’m ordering real baffles (have to go with Randy’s as my room is so small) and then getting on the list for a new amp (probably the Rachael). I don’t want to jump the gun on the amp until I have suitable speakers.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #322 - 10/11/23 at 04:45:20

Great catch!

My room is small, too and I have scaled down Steve's Big Betsy baffles.
Mine are 36" high.

I do miss that bottom octave sometimes, though. 90% of the time, I don't, but I play all kinds of music.
I bought a pair of the Lii Audio W15s to augment when I need to.
I put my woofers in a Linkwitz style H baffle.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #323 - 10/12/23 at 23:33:24

Hey Bloozestringer I just used plain old #6 all purpose Phillips wood screws in my f15 baffles and they’ve been fine for several years now.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #324 - 10/13/23 at 02:32:46

Hey DD, thinking about missing the lower bits, I thought I remembered that you have F 15‘s, not Fast 15s like the thread title. Just hoping for clarification since the Fast 15s are supposed to go down to 30 or so. Am I remembering correctly that you have F 15s rated to around 50? My room accentuates the very low end, so it’s a quandary for me as to whether to buy Fast 15s with the option of some variation on the Steve’s filter, or F 15s and likely trying to integrate a tweeter… Why I’m asking. Smiley

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #325 - 10/13/23 at 10:04:20

Good morning, Will.
I am using the original version F15s for full rangers and I have, just a few months ago, bought a pair of Lii W15s to augment lower frequencies.

I kind of tried to stay out of this thread for that very reason; I do not own Fast 15s.
But then I saw a newer member's post with a question being mostly ignored for too long.
I responded with my take on how to securely put a screw into a board strong enough to resist a powerful vibrating force.

I have gone through much of the same internal quandary as you describe. I am curious about the Fast 15 product, but I am so pleased with the F15s I hesitate to stir it all up again.
I also note that these F15s are glass smooth in the mids. No external network thingy needed, at least not in my small room. I do not want to lose that smoothness.

For the time being I will continue to straddle the impasse.

Now that tweeter question has only surfaced to my little blazing mental corona a few times.
I built some very interesting tweeter assemblies back when I was still using the Visaton B200s, boosted by two 15s per side.

I got some cloth dome Visaton tweeters (20 of them got a good price) and made a hexagon with six in series aligned circumferentially, all wired in series with one on top facing upward in parallel to the other six. I also crisscross/back and forth wired them so that the 90 degree phase shift between voice coils in series alternated in position around the hexagon.
I had it arranged so most of the response was directed upward with just a whisper radially generated. I crossed them at about 8kH.
It came out to about 6 Ohms total to match the B200s and it actually sounded great.

Those ended up in the attic when I "retired" the B200s. Now you have me thinking even more about dragging them back down.
I do have six left over. Maybe I should just use one or two and find a set of angles that work.
Another internal quandary has been cultivated.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #326 - 10/13/23 at 11:57:20

FWIW, I too struggled with whether to replace my F15's with the Fast 15 drivers in my OB speakers. I just fell in love with the F15's at Decfest back in 2018. The only shortcoming I had with the sound quality was the limited treble response.

I learned that several folks online had replaced the stock binding posts on the F-15 speakers, as they were mostly brass. So I took the plunge and replaced the stock posts with KLEI Naked Harmony pure copper binding posts. The change kept the midrange magic and to my ears extended the treble response quite a bit.

Anyway, just my experience with these excellent drivers. These were LiinAudio's original F15's. I believe they made some minor changes a couple years ago to the original design.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #327 - 10/13/23 at 12:32:02

Wow, thanks for that tip, HK!

I'll have to have another look, but I am pretty sure mine have brass binding posts.

In the changes to the original design you mention, do you know what was changed?

I bought the pair I have just a little over a year ago, so mine are probably the "new" update, I would assume. I would love to know more about that detail.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #328 - 10/13/23 at 12:38:27

Same Od DD,

Unfortunately I can't recall all of the changes, but do recall that the binding posts remained the same. I think changes were noted in the original Decware F-15 thread. Alternatively you might email Lii Audio. I've found them very responsive to inquiries.

Here is a link to the thread on the F-15 modifications I performed: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1595420877/8#8

HK

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #329 - 10/13/23 at 14:11:36

Thanks for that info, HK.

I can do that. I can't tell you how many times I have had to replace binding posts on speakers I was rebuilding.
Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #330 - 10/13/23 at 15:27:51

HK and DD,

Thank you both for these great stories of experiments. Especially glad to hear that you were able to bring up the treble HK with KLE posts. I really like KLE stuff for the most part. When I was working a lot on my Torii MKIV, I guess I was about halfway through modifications, so a lot of stuff had been changed by ear to my liking, then mostly repeated improvements in clarity from lack of smearing… more resolution and speed. I had been asking around about binding posts, and a number of people said that Cardas copper with silver plate, and rhodium flash, were really good. So I went for them, and after putting them in my wife was out in the kitchen adjacent to the music room, and said wow I think that was the best change yet. And I agreed.

This was most likely able to be heard more easily from all the previous work, but the musical clarity throughout the spectrum seemed better as I recall, everything opening up and more complex, including all the rich harmonic information I so love. My memory anyway from quite a few years ago. So not absolutely trustworthy, but pretty sure it was not mainly a tipped up top. Just to say that I thought it was a really good overall improvement for my sound. So thanks for the tip and reminder HK. I probably would’ve changed the posts on F-15 or Fast-15 anyway, but I wouldn’t have thought of it as a potential tool that might bring the treble into balance with the F-15s.

Your tweeter set up sounds pretty wild and cool DD. I can’t say I’m particularly averse to simple crossovers. Seems like done with nice parts, and by sound, they can be pretty good. But yes, if you can get around it all the better.

That said I’m really glad for HK‘s reminder of how much connectors can change things. I don’t think I have any stock connectors on my Decware I use. Whether RCA or binding posts, or IECS. At least with my older gear, using relatively state of the art stuff for upgrades, all were notable improvements in resolution, speed, and clarity for me. That it could bring up the treble of the F-15s, sounds like a great first start, and may be all thatI might want too.

I’ve just found over years that the higher frequencies are not necessarily “needed,” but they can enhances the realism of the sound for me if done with finesse. That said when I hear the platinum drivers, though the recordings and utube presentation leave things to be desired, to me they sound too sharp and clear. So being able to tune these things is important to me. Also Steve’s reaction to the stock Fast-15s registered for me. And his finally finding the filtered versions “juicy“ sounds intriguing as well. Not quite sure what that means, but guessing wetter and maybe more harmonically rich?

Thank you both for these experiences. Nice to have more information in mind as I try to sort though these choices!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #331 - 10/13/23 at 21:42:34

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Cardas binding posts, Will. I would like to try them. Would you elaborate on what you replaced, was it the post on your amp, speakers, or both?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #332 - 10/14/23 at 01:05:04

Hey Gilf,

I used the Cardas posts on my Torii MKIV, one of the early ones, now pretty old. And Steve is not using the same posts these days, presumably changing because the newer choices sound better to him. So I can't comment on how the Cardas might compare to them. But compared to the old posts, for the level of resolution and refinement I grew to crave with a succession of successful modifications, the change was well worth it for me. How much is context from the progressive mods bringing out the posts qualities, I can't guess.

Also, I have a set of KLE Silver binding posts I have been meaning to try in the same position as the Cardas, but I have not taken the time to make that comparison... everything sounding so good, not much incentive. But I look forward to seeing which I like better. I really like KLEs better RCA connectors for ICs.

On my speakers, I pretty much bypassed the posts, replacing them with bronze bolts and thumb nuts and making them so the speaker cable ends do not touch the bronze. I did this by using a pair of bronze washers with teflon washers inside them, and wrapping the area of the bolts the spades might touch with teflon tape. Then through a small hole (later sealed) in the crossover plate I ran oversized teflon tubing with 18 gauge UPOCC silver wire that was direct soldered to the interior wires and crossover parts. Outside I made a small coil of the silver wire wrapped loosely around the brass bolt and against the speaker side teflon washer. So screwing down the thumb nut squeezes the spade of the speaker cable against the silver coil that has a teflon washer for backing. A pretty convoluted setup, but once done it worked really well for me... pretty close to no binding posts I think. I have parts and nice boxes to move the crossover parts and connections all outside the vibrations of the speaker cabinet, but have not gotten around to that project either... A main incentive of this besides sonic refinement is that I would make it so I can easily change crossover caps and coils and resisters, making experimenting funner and easier.

Hope this helps.

Will

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 10/14/23 at 03:21:59

Thank you for taking the time for that informative reply, will. I suspected you were referring to your mkiv in your earlier post but wanted to verify that I interpreted that correctly.
I agree with your observations with the KLEI RCAs, and I also use their binding posts on one of my amps. I’ve never tried the Cardas products so I can’t compare side by side but would like to give them a try on a different amp. I am struggling to wrap my mind around how it would be a huge improvement without also upgrading the posts on my drivers, although my previous experience with upgrading only the amp’s posts to the KLEIs suggested that a sonic gap was crossed by the upgrade.
It really is amazing once a certain level of refinement is reached how every small piece of the system can be a bottleneck or opportunity to shape the voicing of what we hear.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #334 - 10/14/23 at 16:36:51

Gilf, I agree with your observation that, especially after a certain level of system/room refinement, it is amazing what one good upgrade can do in the long, long chain of parts and room work. But also, when imagining back to my beginnings of getting more serious with home music, I recall the new excitement of having an awake, "player in the room" sound with my first Decware setup... In this room, with a relatively decent front end, cables, and Decware MG944 speakers and SE34 amp (well before Anniversary modifications were happening) I recall being able to hear every change then too.

IP Logged
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Reply #335 - 03/12/24 at 22:36:08

Now that some amount of time since people have gotten settled with their Fast 15 drivers, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the Fast 15 vs. 'regular' F 15. (I'm about to make the decision). Anyone change their mind after the the long-term?

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #336 - 03/13/24 at 04:15:04

DowdyPrime,

I don’t have much experience with the F15s outside of Decfest but the Fast 15’s have been an incredible addition to my rig.  Almost 1 year and 4 months later, I’m still in awe of how they have scaled with each successive improvement in upstream components, the most significant of which is my Sarah.

That said, I can’t get rid of the itch to explore other OB speakers.  The two I have on my shortlist are the Caladan by Clayton Shaw and the Pure Audio Project Duet.  Maybe, I’ll get to scratch that itch this year. Maybe not. Let’s see—-in the meantime, I am more than satisfied with what the Fast 15s continue to bring to the table.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Reply #337 - 03/13/24 at 14:11:21

Thanks, Kamran. Indeed, those are the two OB manufacturers I have on my list too, but the DIY angle is also very appealing. I've been wondering why the Fast 15s haven't shown up on OB products (like the Zen Masters series), but I suppose it could be the issue with the additional electronicss ('network') that Steve suggests. Or perhaps the price. Hmmm. But good to know that you are still on board!

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #338 - 03/13/24 at 18:54:05

I have a Caintuck open baffle speaker and upgraded from the F15 to the Fast 15 drivers. I prefer the Fast 15's as it has a deeper low end and a more extended high end. I found it to be a better balanced speaker than the original. There is one qualification to this. The highs of the Fast 15's are elevated, with a peak around 6 kHz. To compensate, I bought the Fast 15 network from Decware and that made the highs listenable and let the strengths of the drivers shine. They are a great bargain.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print