Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:32:06 

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 125979 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #950 - 05/12/23 at 00:27:29

What the heck happened to the second part of Guttenberg’s Sarah review?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #951 - 05/12/23 at 00:29:50

He's lost in the music.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #952 - 05/12/23 at 01:37:00

That must be it Lon!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #953 - 05/12/23 at 02:15:57

More importantly any forum folk want to share?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Bakoon AMP-51R > Deville SQ
[Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #954 - 05/12/23 at 03:10:39

Low325–you actually beat me to it.  I’d also love to hear from the lucky few who have received their respective Sarahs, to chime in with their experiences.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #955 - 05/16/23 at 12:00:00

I'd really like to hear some owner reports as well.

I've made it to #107 or so on the list. I have been thinking ahead. . . one issue I saw was that I would have to do without a headphone amp in my main system (right at a time when I am using headphones more, as my wife just retired) as I have been using the pass through input connections on my Monoblocks to feed a headphone amp, and there is no such provision available with the SEWE300B . . .but. . . I seem to have solved that by buying a Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp for the audio visual system with two outputs so that I can add my PS Audio headphone amp to that system and free the CSP3 in that system now to use in the place of the ZTPRE in the main system when the SEWE300B arrives.  I'll be so ready when that amp arrives to give it the acid tests it will need to unseat my SEUFO3 Monoblocks. . . I LOVE those monoblocks.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #956 - 05/16/23 at 15:13:33

Lon,

If I remember you have a CSP 3 and maybe still a CSP 2, I assume you had not planned to use either with the 300B.  Also, a comment from one of Steve's many 300B posts stated that the 300B did not (or might not) need a preamp accompaniment.  I know you are thinking about headphones, but when you report on your experience, I would be curious as to what you think about the benefit of a preamp.

You are looking good at #107.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #957 - 05/16/23 at 15:28:31

Honestly I can't imagine not using a preamp. So many times it is noted that a preamp is not necessary for one of these amps, but I find I always prefer the amp with one. I am going to break it in with one and unless it sounds off or weird I'll only later try it without one.

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #958 - 05/16/23 at 16:17:28

I plan not to use a preamp with my Sarah(s).  My DAC has volume control and voltage adjustment as a ‘preamp’.  Pretty sure at some point my curiosity will get to me and I’ll try to satisfy the cat on this at least for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #959 - 05/16/23 at 16:21:36

My DAC has volume control as well and I have a ZBIT as I use the balanced out. But. . .it sounds fantastic but even better with either of my great Decware preamps. That's where I'll start, and with the ZROCK2 as well.

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #960 - 05/17/23 at 20:45:27

Fwiw, i recall reading SG’s comments where he thought the UFO25 was more transparent and the 300b was more robust.  Even though, its not my ears, and a very short memory recollection of his…this sort of aligns to the comments mentioned here that the 300b was more 2k res @60 fps and the UFO25 is like 4K res @30 FPS.  Well depends how you see it…

For those anxiously awaiting or are on the fence could be part of your decision - this could lead to some pre-expectations.  I’ll admit,  at times I do like every bit of detail in the music.  I love watching proper 4K content (not overly processed stuff)...it’s such a feast to see, but at times I find myself admiring over a bit too much the Pantone colors and lighting depths of 4K.  Then when you watch a lower res of the same content, you immediately notice it, but eventually you get back to the story telling.  I guess what I am saying is that, I’m personally trying to get something that sounds different to my current setup, but still is beautiful.  I know thats all subjective and how it’ll be hard to measure that threshold.  But I wont know till I try it in my room… and sometimes that can be difficult to do with all things considered…logistics, budget, WAF, time of day when the electricity sucks in the grid, etc.

Still looking forward to the folks who received theirs… it’s okay to say it ISNT to their liking…or wasnt to their expectations, and if so cant satisfy everyone and thats totally ok. 

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #961 - 06/07/23 at 16:03:47

I'm still waiting too. Eager to hear some user experiences with this amp!

I struggle with the TV monitor comparisons as I don't have and haven't any real experience with a 4K TV. I'm very interested in any comparisons between the UFO25 amps and the SEWE300B as I love to death my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. I may not be able to keep both the Monoblocks and the SEWE300B when it has been broken in. I expect I may be facing a very hard choice!

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #962 - 06/10/23 at 19:05:00

Just wanted to respond to my one and only post on 12/29/22 that I placed an order today. I should have put it in a long time ago, but good things come to those who wait. Made by hand, made in the US, and made by someone who has so much experience and opportunity to refine these designs. The responsive and insightful reply to my post sealed the deal for me and now I can't wait. Really excited to run this on one of my 16ohm Altec pairs. (604 or Flamenco).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #963 - 06/18/23 at 16:44:38

Congrats!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #964 - 06/22/23 at 16:09:21

Lon,

I see that your amp has been listed as "parts pulled".

Looks like you will have a July baby Cool

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #965 - 06/22/23 at 16:12:00

Maybe. Or August.

I was thinking a few months later. But I'm not disappointed.

Now I have to think of fuses and how to afford two. . . . Though I will wait until it's seasoned in and decide if it betters the Monoblocks . . .which are sounding fantastic right now.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #966 - 06/22/23 at 19:21:24

Wow! Congrats!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #967 - 06/23/23 at 05:57:52

That’s awesome Lon!!  We will be eagerly waiting for your feedback on the Sarah once it arrives.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #968 - 06/23/23 at 17:36:41

More crap on the Hoffman forum. Now there is one who works for another audio company saying there is no way and no proof that Steve designed the UFO transformers and it's awful he is taking credit for them, "bragging" about them. And if I furnish information about them and defend Steve, I'm someone who is just a shill for Decware and/or I need to "chill out" seriously.

ARGH.

I should give up, but I'm still battling misinformation and trashing.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #969 - 06/23/23 at 18:24:49

DAYuhm!

I kind of thought you had given up on that forum as I have.
I think you should identify the other audio company, personally.

Since we are all shills, no one would take our opinions seriously, right?

It really seems like bad form to dis' another with basically Zero Knowledge of the facts.
Let it go. Save your sanity for later. You might still need it.

Give them a big wet Bugs Bunny kiss on the forehead!
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #970 - 06/23/23 at 18:42:31

I have a "Listening to Jazz and Conversation" thread I started there and have been participating in for over seven years now I think--it's the best place on that forum. Don't have these sort of issues there.

I can't remember what company he said he worked for. . .I want to say Accuphase. He keeps suggesting that Steve ought to go circuit board. Shows what he knows about Steve.

I can't quit. I keep battling the misinformation and fake news about Decware. Can't stop. I try.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #971 - 06/23/23 at 19:30:27

And now my amp is "On the Bench!"

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #972 - 06/24/23 at 02:17:31

Woohoo! Positive thoughts Lon! So excited for ya!

I was wondering if part 2 of Steve G’s Sarah review was just cancelled and nobody got the memo, but he confirmed today that it’s coming soon.  Though I am slightly annoyed he keeps over emphasizing the ‘it’s only 7 wpc and it does not get loud’ bit.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #973 - 06/24/23 at 03:15:01

Anxiously awaiting your comparison between the 300B and your UFO3s, Lon. And I know that I'm not alone.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #974 - 06/24/23 at 11:01:07

I haven't even listened to his Part 1. I'm not into youtube videos. What I would really really like to read is impressions from others who have Decware systems . . . that would tell me the most about this amp.

I'll certainly share my impressions. . . here. I'm really enjoying my three systems now. Right now I'm watching AppleTV into my Oppo UDP-205 into a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 with Jupiter cap Anniversary Mods into my CSP3 with the Jupiter cap Anniversary Mods and Sennheiser HD800S. Excellent sound.

The sad thing is I think I'm going to have to pit the SEWE300B against the Monoblocks and I probably won't be able to keep both. Winner take all. A both enviable and sad situation to have . . . especially as I think the SEWE300B may win, and I love the Monoblocks so much--and have so many f'in tubes for them!

The one last remaining factor that I have hanging over my head is whether Steve will be able to introduce the Treble Cut Circuit into the SEWE300B as I've requested as an option. I think that may make or break the competition!

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #975 - 06/24/23 at 16:48:27

Quote:
Though I am slightly annoyed he keeps over emphasizing the ‘it’s only 7 wpc and it does not get loud’ bit.

Steve G tends to put those things out there that can be perceived as negatives to many of the gear he reviews, but are they really?  It’s subtle, but from seasoned hobbyists, we should take these as understanding the limits of said gear and/or synergize them the right components.   We can assume what parameters he’s taking into account; speaker sensitivity, db level listening levels, music genre, source, room size/treatments, etc…

For what its worth, yes I get annoyed at SG’s comments on it as well lol!

IP Logged
jjgasp
Verified Member

Reply #976 - 06/24/23 at 17:43:29

I've had my Sarah 300B for a few weeks.  I don't even want to tell you how many amplifiers/gear I've cycled through over the last few years.  The journey took me full circle.  My GAS led me to the dead end of highly resolving, inefficient/low sensitivity power hungry speakers that required massive wattage.  Yes, I could hear every instrument with pinpoint accuracy, blah, blah, blah... but in the end the music felt empty and lifeless and I found myself listening to less music or basically had it playing in the background.

But I digress.  Since I received the Sarah 300B, I've found myself glued to my seat, listening to one song/album after another, not getting much work done or pretty much anything else around the house.  Hooked up to what had become my "backup" speakers (Volti Audio Rivals), music is again dynamic, organic and sounds real.  Sorry, that's all I got for audiophile descriptors.  I live in New Orleans and see a ton of live music and my GF is a pianist, so we've got a pretty good frame of reference.

With my 100db/6 ohm speakers, you can't get anywhere near 7 full watts or clipping.  I listen to mostly jazz, but really a pretty good mix of everything else (except maybe polka).  It has no problem with highs and lows in my system and room (23' x 32' x 12').  Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or are in my area and would like to give it a listen.

Decware Sarah 300B, 432EVO, Weiss DAC204, Garrard 301/Kuzma 4Point/Soundsmith Hyperion, Modwright PH 9.0X, Volti Audio Rival II
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #977 - 06/24/23 at 17:45:35

Thanks for sharing jjgasp!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #978 - 06/24/23 at 17:58:24

jj, thanks for the review!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #979 - 06/24/23 at 18:47:59

Thanks for sharing jj— I had the pleasure of hearing Volti speakers at capital audio fest last year and they sounded really nice paired with Border Patrols 300b amp—so I’m pretty sure they will be sounding just as nice or nice with Sarah!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #980 - 06/24/23 at 19:36:39

Nice write up jj, thanks. Just curious what tubes you’re using?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
jjgasp
Verified Member

Reply #981 - 06/25/23 at 00:52:00

@Kamran I was considering the Border Patrol and the Ampandsound 300B amplifiers but at less than 1/3 the cost in and some cases with better features, I pulled the trigger and waited patiently for the Sarah.

@CAJames I've got quite the mix.  My Sarah came with the stock tubes picked by Steve.  I had to try the Western Electric 300B's, although I considered Cryotone, Sophia Electric, Elrog and Takatsuki.  No regrets and have no interest in owning multiple sets of 300Bs.  Just happened to have a pair of NOS Philips Miniwatt SQ E88CC/6922 Gold Pins sitting around and popped them in, as well as a NOS RCA black plate 12AU7.  Lastly, I added a set of Crytone 0C2s and a Crytone 5U4GB.

Decware Sarah 300B, 432EVO, Weiss DAC204, Garrard 301/Kuzma 4Point/Soundsmith Hyperion, Modwright PH 9.0X, Volti Audio Rival II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #982 - 06/27/23 at 22:19:28

Part 2 dropped today—watching now:

https://youtu.be/onylYtchbzs

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #983 - 06/28/23 at 00:49:11

After viewing Audiophiliacs Sarah Part 2, I was puzzled about why he did Part 2.  He could have ended with Part 1, as I didn't get much from this episode.  He was overall positive but measured.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #984 - 06/28/23 at 02:22:49

Agreed—100%

I think Steve missed a good opportunity to compare how Sarah responded to each of this three different types of high sensitivity speakers in more detail.

Interesting coincidence that his latest speaker is the Volti Razz—we were just talking about JJ’s Volti speakers the other day.

Also, is it just me or did he keep mispronouncing Wathen? He does seem to like their 300b offering, so kudos to them!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #985 - 06/28/23 at 03:52:23

He was mispronouncing Wathen. And I would have liked to have him talk of the controls, the different biases, the hum control. . . .

But you know how those Steves are, they're gonna do what they're gonna do!

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #986 - 06/28/23 at 03:55:27

Do you think we’ll see a part 3?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #987 - 06/28/23 at 04:09:42

I felt mixed about the review as usual with his. But he has an intersting way of creating an image, in this case pointing to how well Decware has become liked by himself and friends in sort of magical and musical ways, and how this amp did with a variety of recordings. I really don't like the audiophile tendency to say "it is good," or "the best," or whatever without explaining why. Why would we trust anyone we don't know the room or history of with this sort of opinion. But in the context of sort of a starry eyed love for the amp bordering on the mystical, his calling it special seemed real. I thought some of the best information in the video was how Steve's 300B made different types, vintages and qualities of recordings feel closer to real music... super important to me, for it to feel pretty real, and to feel that way across recordings... and no mean task to get that.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #988 - 06/29/23 at 19:18:26

Just a heads-up, I posted these impressions of my new Sarah in the Reviews section here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1688062146

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #989 - 06/29/23 at 19:24:04

Thank you Ghost. It looks like a doozy. I haven’t read it yet but it looks to be an interesting point of view. Thanks for sharing!  Questions to come I’m sure!

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #990 - 06/30/23 at 18:19:21

Hey Steve!

I’m so excited to be on the build list for this, and not to go down a tube rolling psychedelic rabbit hole but what was your current feeling on the default voltage regulator tube mix?

I’m running super-duper efficient Altec 604…although I’m starting to look at your speakers too for other applications later on, and don’t usually have any concerns about power whatsoever.

Just wondering if you are digging OA2 | OA2 | OA2 or OA2 | OC2 | OA2 or OC2 | OC2 | OC2?

The reason I ask is that in the reviews so far and in the cryo tube set everyone seems to be running flat out with the OC2. Is that just a power anxiety move? I’m not concerned about hitting the full 7W. Legit sensitive speakers don’t need this.

Thanks for any of your impressions there.

Mahalo.

P.S.: Super trippy thing happened yesterday… I’m in Waikiki for six months and played Arthur Lyman Taboo, and then a few tracks from Martin Denny yesterday while working. Then, last night I was pouring over your YouTube videos and saw you demo’s with Denny. Seriously… what are the odds of that?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #991 - 06/30/23 at 18:25:21

I made myself a note that Steve mentioned an 0C2 for the input and two 0A2 for the driver tubes being a favored complement and that is sort of what I am doing on my Monoblocks with great success (75C1 and two 0D3) and that will likely be the first "trio" that I will try in mine.

My amp Passed Quality Control. That's a good thing. Wink

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #992 - 06/30/23 at 18:51:06

@junker
:shakka:

That’s definitely an island system with the Leben in there. Lol!

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #993 - 06/30/23 at 19:42:35

Ha! Sadly that's all back in Santa Cruz right now and I'm "roughing it" for the time being with a DAC, Schiit Vali 2++, and a pair of wood-bodied Grado.

Nice DAC btw!!! Yeah, I'd be okay with a Tiki hut vibe all day long!

@Lon you are close! Just checked and you are right there. I have about 50 Sarah in front of me so plenty of time for reviews and impressions, before I get back home and can enjoy a SET!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #994 - 06/30/23 at 22:12:51

Quote:
Posted by: Junker      Posted on: Today at 10:19:21

...Just wondering if you are digging OA2 | OA2 | OA2 or OA2 | OC2 | OA2 or OC2 | OC2 | OC2?

JMO but if you are #Tubecurious you should just buy a selection now and check it out for yourself, on your own system once you get your amp. The 0[A|B|C]2 are cheap, at least today, but they aren't making any more of them and they aren't getting any cheaper.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #995 - 06/30/23 at 22:47:19

Yah no doubt. I believe the amp will come with both or all flavors? I'm picking up some nice OG tubes and interested in the the mix and quantity. Does running a greater voltage drop with the A or B extend the life of 12AU7 and 6922? I'll be using Siemens CC with a Blackburn Mullard ECC82. Trust me it will be a long time before I'll be able to circle back around and test myself.

Being in the development thread I'm interested in the voicing and current feelings on the operating points. It's changed a bit as you would expect during the development cycle, and haven't heard anything since the most recent A|C|A update. Yet I'm seeing C|C|C from demos and partnered tube vendors. I'm curious is seeing the all C mix is due to tube availability in quantity, power output, or voicing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #996 - 07/01/23 at 13:38:54

I don't know what you will get if you order the amp with Steve's choice of tubes. From photos I would suspect three 75C1 (0C2).

I ordered mine with no tubes and I have numerous brands of all three types of voltage regulation tubes so I'll have some fun experimenting.

I am unsure if the voltage drop will influence tube life. Interesting question. It could be that a lower voltage may promote tube life.

I suspect Wathen selected the 0C2 type both because of availability and for the most power.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #997 - 07/01/23 at 15:50:23

Quote:
Posted by: Junker      Posted on: Yesterday at 14:47:19

...Does running a greater voltage drop with the A or B extend the life of 12AU7 and 6922?

For these kinds of tubes it might extent tube life a little at the margin, but unlike power tubes it isn't really an issue. Well made 6922/12AU7 etc. tubes should last a long time regardless. JMO and all that.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #998 - 07/06/23 at 18:33:32

Lon, did your Sarah ship?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #999 - 07/06/23 at 19:15:23

I do not think it shipped. This morning I was notified it went into Packing and Shipping status.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Send Topic Print