Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 07:36:35 

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 143137 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #1150 - 08/18/23 at 00:20:56

Yes I completely get it, including the macho audiophile arrogance problem. I imagine many of those are at least somewhat stuck in the past, and/or have learned a lot of what they "know" and preach so adamantly from incomplete tech ideology, and/or "knowledge" from reading other's opinions rather than "knowing" from open minded exploration and a lot of experience in that. I think it will almost always be the explorers that take things to new levels in meaningful ways, and at reasonable prices.

I suspect I might have ordered a SEWE300B had a few reviews not caused so many more folks to want Decware, and the resulting waiting list... (remember when we were just fan boys to so many out there)? Having had near death experiences myself, and having gone from imagining being with my exceptionally vibrant wife for a long time to come...to her pretty rapid cascade of bad luck and no longer being among us physically, I was not willing to wait several years to get a SEWE300B. Life is certainly more fragile than we are conditioned to think, and I keep trying to learn to prioritize how I use what time I have.

So I just jumped on a 300B that looked conceptually good, and at a pretty low price comparatively, knowing I could tune it if needed...

With some personalized variations on Steve's sound, this has been my foundation for so long, it is really all I know intimately. The 300B I found, maybe lucky, but I now have a lucid and real sound similar to my highly tuned Decware but with that amazing 300B character... so guessing the ways I have tuned my 300B, with Decware as a foundation, that it is likely to be similar to the SEWE300B in sound anyway.

At first my tricked out Torii was notably better in many ways, other than the big SE tube sound... and this 300B is big like yours in volume also. I still don't get that... how can 7-8 watts seem nearly as loud as 20-25. And I could hear a lot of potential there by opening and speeding the 300B up. Right now, I would guess it and the Torii each have better traits in their own ways. But I am enjoying the 300B a lot, and will explore the greater potential I know is there once I get up the nerve to lift it out. The thing is so heavy I had to get a sturdy kitchen cart on wheels to pull it out onto to more safely do work. Even now though, it is getting so good I am in no rush to compare... really liking the 300B qualities.

I like both my ZBIT and pretty tricked out ZR2 with this amp, though I use the ZR2 more as a gain tuner/enhancer than tone changer like you do. I use the B setting lately with a nicely balanced Mullard 12AT7, and using a fairly narrow gain range from about 9:30 being near unity in mine with this tube, to maybe 11:30. My 300B as it is now responds well to more signal push from this 12AT7 in the ZRock. For "pre" now, I have been tuning my Zstage (#2 serial number with two outputs), and it is sounding great with just cleaning the pot, some coupling and power supply cap bypassing work, and nicely resolving RCAs. More to try, but I really like this setup with or without the ZRock in. I always prefer the enhancing qualities and further gain tuning adjustability with the ZR2 in though. It is after the ZBIT and before the Zstage while the CSP3 waits patiently to come back in for comparison.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1151 - 08/18/23 at 02:08:47

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 14:31:47

...I wonder though... from reading, it seems like there must be other 300B amps designed to be more "modern" these days in comparison to the standards of the past where we might find them too slow, warm, and syrupy???

Mine, very similar to this:

http://www.thebestamp.com/Single-Ended_Tube_Amps/SE-300B-BAL.php

Definitely doesn't sound slow, warm or syrupy. In fact, if I had never heard a UFO amp, I probably would be completely happy with it. Esp. using the clever balanced input circuit.

Another part of the equation is the 300B tube itself. By all accounts the Elrog 300B tubes have a much more "modern" sound compared the WE 300B: fast, dynamic and extended. A lot of my online friends, who own more 300B tubes than I have socks, swear by them. Although, for me, the Takatsukis seem just right.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1152 - 08/18/23 at 10:14:46

The Cary 300B amps that I have heard (one an integrated) I remember as sounding warm but not syrupy -- with that SET presentation that I heard for the first time when I first heard one and that I was so intrigued by that I sought out SET amps I could afford and soon owned the 27th Steve sold.

It's possible that someone coming straight from solid state with no history with tubes might think one of those sounded "syrupy" but I had grown up with my Dad's Dynaco system and had had about four years with an EICO amp from 1959 and I just heard them as warm without that push-pull scrambled and re-assembled sound.

Since that time (mid-nineties) I heard the first Cary there has been an explosion of 300B amps from China, Japan, the US and other parts of the world. Varying price points, varied circuitry, diverse transformers, caps and resistors, there have to be many different sounding ones available.

I'd love to hear the flagship Western Electric amp one day. . . but I'm so happy Steve decided to build the SEWE300B and I have one now. Even with less than 400 hours on mine it seems like a lifetime amp and there is likely none on the market as "flexible" in the manner of tube rolling voltage regulation tubes and none having that uniquely voiced preamp stage.

And that has the DNA of the Decware amplification character and presentation. That is perhaps what I was most surprised with even though I was expecting it!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #1153 - 08/18/23 at 11:34:40

This thread has gone way off topic. The reader should come here to learn about Steve’s development of the 300b Sarah. There is an entire category on this board dedicated to this amp where new threads can be started to post reviews, debate tubes, etc.  If the reader wants to review the amp development he/she shouldn’t have to skim 1000 posts to find to find pertinent ones.
Sorry, there is some great discussion here but it’s in the wrong place. I apologize for being anal but this kind thing drives me nuts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1154 - 08/18/23 at 11:43:18

Sorry this sort of thing drives you nuts. Doesn't bother me and possibly others here. It's the way of forums in my experience. The development. . . is over. So the thread has served as a central conduit for SEWE300B discussion.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1155 - 08/18/23 at 15:14:06

Lon, I agree. All things considered, not only sound, this amp is a new culmination of Steve's creative learning and exploration. In his usual way, always learning, with the foundation from all his past work, he is always finding ways to innovate, new ways to refine and create beautiful sound, user flexibility and a really nice looking amp.  

Sorry Manny for being part of this sidetrack about the 300B development. These long threads are quite challenging to me too when looking for something. But now that the amp is out in people's rooms, and direct development finished...are finding good ways to tune the amp and impressions... or looking at challenges in availability, and looking at possibilities for alternatives... and other related ideas the development thread had brought up as Steve was designing the amp... are these aspects of the development of the amp, especially now that the new phase is integrating it in our own ways. I get yes, and I get no.

But I agree, when looking at the amount of discussion on this forum, and a number of threads really long, especially when wanting to find something specific... We would probably do well to try to at least try to tighten things up some. That said, how threads are named could often be more explanatory of the intended discussion also.

This forum has gotten to be a big lot of information, so trying to make it easier to navigate seems a worthy cause, but tricky when trying to figure out what threads of threads are interrelated and useful in the context of the baseline discussions, and which are not.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1156 - 08/18/23 at 16:12:13

I think it's too late for this thread. The development IS over. All the posts about the development are at the front end of this thread. . . the ones from recent months are post-development. . . if someone is looking for information about the development of the amp they don't have to visit the posts from this spring and summer.

That's how I look at it. After the development stage people were in this thread looking for impressions from the first owners, asking questions of them, leading to discussions of tubes etc. A natural evolution of talk on forums.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #1157 - 08/18/23 at 20:16:49

CAJames, FWIW, I was on the PartsConnexion website yesterday and happened to see they have Takatsuki 300B pairs on sale for 32% off at $1699. I have never gotten tubes from them, so can’t say anything more about that, but they’re new, so should be good.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1158 - 08/18/23 at 21:11:55

Quote:
Posted by: LiquidBlue      Posted on: Today at 12:16:49

CAJames, FWIW, I was on the PartsConnexion website yesterday and happened to see they have Takatsuki 300B pairs on sale for 32% off at $1699. I have never gotten tubes from them, so can’t say anything more about that, but they’re new, so should be good.

That's where I got mine.

Highly recommended.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print