Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 00:35:23 

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 142922 times)
Junker
Verified Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #1050 - 07/20/23 at 02:04:10

It will be interested to hear what options will work best. I’m also interested in those 5AR models with the soft start. Doubt they sound as good at the 274B. And I have a feeling that WE will eventually release a 274B as their second tube, as that is what Takasuki released second, but I’d hope that they would uprate it as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1051 - 07/20/23 at 02:07:04

I've tried 5AR so far, Amperex. They have a softer, sort of foggier sound in this instance or at least this early on in the break-in here.

Also Steve verified for me that the amp only uses one active fuse. He wrote:

There is only 1 active fuse in the amp, the other is a spare.  Originally I chose to have 2 active fuses and then changed my mind in the final hours before production.  It just would have irritated people.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1052 - 07/20/23 at 03:03:06

I’ve written to Sue (from Sophia Electric) about the compatibility of the original Aqua 274B (lighter blue) with Sarah 300B.  Let’s see what she says.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1053 - 07/20/23 at 03:15:04

It's been reported in this thread or on the forum before that she did not recommend its use.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1054 - 07/20/23 at 05:47:59

Hmm, must have missed that then.  Thanks for taking one for the team—knowing that and still taking that chance.  I am going to reevaluate my rectifier plans.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1055 - 07/20/23 at 12:33:56

I'm now on the fourth "Five On" cycle and there's marked improvement--the sound stage has opened up. And I realized that I was sort of starving the 6085 input tube and popped in a 75C1 (English 0C2) tube for that position and BOOM . . . bass that I was missing, and a touch more dynamics.

I've set up the system with this amp the same way I had the Monoblocks this year: PS Audio DSD DAC Mk2 to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to amp. When this has seasoned in I may try a setup without the ZTPRE. . . but as I have in the past preferred the DSD DAC with a preamp I think that will prove to be the case again.

It's definitely starting to sound really darned good. I'm not missing my Monoblocks this morning.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #1056 - 07/20/23 at 14:47:49

Lon:

It's definitely starting to sound really darned good. I'm not missing my Monoblocks this morning.

I know it will take time, but that report says a lot. Enjoy the music AND the amp.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1057 - 07/20/23 at 15:26:16

Yes, it turned a page this morning. I further put in two 75C1 voltage regulation tubes for the driver tubes in place of the Mullard 0B2 and got even more richness and bass. So clearly that is the direction for my system. (These 75C1 are interesting tubes--they are slightly darker than other 0C2 tubes I've used, and they impart a certain texture that is hard to define.)

Anyway, I just turned it off for the fourth "Five off" cycle. This method that Steve has suggested numerous times for break-in really works.

This is such a beautiful amp. The wood on the base is very interesting with a red streaky grain. And the copper plated transformer end caps are stunning. Even my wife says it's beautiful. She's never said anything at all like that before of any of my equipment.

There is definitely POWER in reserve for my HR-1 speakers in a way that I don't even remember the Torii Mk III making me feel (though when I was using the Mk IIIs they were in larger rooms). I love my Monoblocks, and I'm falling in love with this amp. I can feel the promise ahead. When this seasons in it will be a monster of an amp--and still retaining the virtue of the smaller SET amps.

Wow. I'm looking forward to another session this afternoon.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1058 - 07/20/23 at 15:36:46

Nice! Happy day.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1059 - 07/20/23 at 17:04:10

Thanks for logging the burn-in process and tube selection choices Lon! It will help all of us navigate that process when we get there.

By any chance do you also have a triplet of OB2? I'm just wondering how much of a chance is there that that voltage drop would be Goldilocks on the input and/or drivers?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1060 - 07/20/23 at 17:23:55

One more little update: I went through what I thought were safe rectifiers to roll into the amp and came up with some favorites: It's a close match between two Amperex rectifiers: a 5AR4, and a 5R4WGY. (I think the 5R4 should be safe). They both sound very similar though the latter may have the edge on "body.") Next is an RCA 5U4GB which is a bit warmer but really nice in this amp. And finally there's a NOS Chinese 5Z3PA that Sophia Electric sells and said was one to use instead of the 274B Aqua. I didn't like how this sounded in the CSP3 or the Taboo Mk IV but it did sound nice in the SEWE300B. Not as nice as the above BUT it does not have many hours on it. . . .

And one final note: I looked and saw I had 19 ceramic fuses I could use if a fuse blew in the amp and I decided to try the very same 274B Aqua and risk five minutes replacing a fuse. So the Aqua was still alive. . .it arced. .. and then powered up. No fuse action. I let it play for a few minutes. It did sound good. But it didn't sound noticeably better than the two Amperex or the RCA above. . .so I shut it down, curiosity assuaged. I may revisit this later, but the fact that it arcs means I shouldn't use THAT tube.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #1061 - 07/20/23 at 17:29:45

Thanks for the regular updates Lon! I was wondering about the number on/off cycles for initial break-in.  Can you remind us how many such cycles are recommended by Steve?

Also, heard back from Sue and reproducing her response below. As you mentioned and tried—not a good fit with Sarah, but the newer one does solve the issue.  The early review is good for the newer version, so I might end up getting that.

Hi Kamran,

Thanks for your email. If I understand correctly, your future 300B amplifier is a single ended design, both channels share one 5U4G rectifier. If this is the case, the original Aqua 274B (rated: max 160 ma)  may not have enough current capacity, as a result, it blows the fuse. Good news is we have a new Aqua II 274B (rated: max 220 ma) tube available which should solve the problem that the original one has.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1062 - 07/20/23 at 17:35:57

Thanks Kam. I'll put the new Aqua II on my wish list. I'll probably try one in the future, after I have the SEWE300B all seasoned and dialed in and free up some dollars. I'll bet it's a really good rectifier.

I think choosing to go with these Sophia Electric 300B tubes was a good idea--they are sounding better and better, the whole complement is. One day I'll decide between either the Wathen cryo'd JJ 300Bs or the Western Electric, but with the quality sound I am getting now and foresee around the bend there is no hurry (and that's good as there is no cash--my whole financial world turned upside down when my wife walked off her job and decided to retire 3 years earlier than she had planned; my monthly expenses have now nearly tripled!)

Steve's process I remember as a paraphrase of "Wax on, Wax off"--Five hours of play, and them at least five hours off and cooling--repeated five times.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1063 - 07/20/23 at 17:53:36

Wow good thing you took delivery of your new amp when you did, and have the tube stash that you do. That should give you a great amp without having to chase down the last 10% at significant cost.

Those Amperex power tubes are too expensive for what I would pay for a power rectifier, so I'll be interested in what 5AR4 are around at or below the cost of the Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B.

Also good news that those OA2, OB2, and OC2 tubes are only $10-15 so that's reassuring.

I'll need to pour back over 20 pages of development thread posts, but what is the spec for final value of the first power supply capacitor on this amp?

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1064 - 07/20/23 at 18:01:25

Looks like it is a 47uF F&T electrolytic with a 0.33uF Miflex bypass cap. So, yah that answers my question. Definitely going to be wanting to run the Aqua II or 5AR4 or 5U4.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1065 - 07/20/23 at 18:22:54

Note (and I know you know this) but it is 0A2, 0B2 and 0C2, not 0A3, 0B3 and 0C3 (and my favorite perhaps for my Monoblocks, 0D3).

They're not expensive and plentiful. My favorites of the 0_2 family are RCA for American or "British" (some are not labeled by anything we recognize but I think most are made by Mullard) or Amperex (some of which I've found I think are Mullard). It's weird how much of a difference different brands can make on these.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1066 - 07/20/23 at 18:26:09

Ah right. Let me fix that so I don't confuse anybody. Thanks Lon!

Hey so have you noticed a different illumination color within a VR type between brands, or between types? I'm really curious if any have any interesting colors.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1067 - 07/20/23 at 18:29:59

I think there are uniform colors between the three types, i.e. one color for each type. Most of  the 0_2 types I have there is very little visible light on them and in my Monoblocks they are under the chassis, unseen. The C75C1 (0A2) that I am using in the SEWE300B have a very strong orange glow projecting from the bottom and lights up the chassis around them in a cool way.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1068 - 07/20/23 at 18:37:50

Junker. I think the rectifier cap is the Sprague combination set, several caps making one. So first cap on the right of this internal pic I found on my computer. I did not dig through the thread to find out, and can't tell what value the yellow ones are, but guess they are pretty low value "bypasses" more for sound than value. Also can't tell from this pic, but if the Sprague are wired in series, likely the total value would be notably lower than 8uF. I am guessing this might be the case since I think I recall Steve going for a quite low value??? If in parallel, it would double the seen values... so 16 uF + whatever the yellow ones add. Either way much lower than 47, and if you need to get specific, might need to read the write up wherever the sprague caps are mentioned. If you find the exact value, please let us know.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #1069 - 07/20/23 at 18:48:12

Thanks Will. I'll take some time later and see what I can find deeper in the thread. I had found this pic in there somewhere and was what I was going off of.

20230108-191733.jpg
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1070 - 07/20/23 at 19:02:42

Right, guessing it will not be a lot further than the pic you grabbed since that looks like it could be the a beginning of wiring the power supply caps.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1071 - 07/20/23 at 22:05:35

Wholly crap (intentional spelling, more to come), Lon, 'gratz on your new SARAH!!

So, except for some supply delivery concerns across the line up, untenable by Decware staff at large, this whole three year wait thing is kind of a myth?

I've just read every word posted since your delivery. Then again ...

Wishing you the joy we all seek!
Smiley

Late to the table, as usual.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1072 - 07/20/23 at 22:20:28

I wish the three year wait currently WERE a myth. Hard to think of that. This wait was about 21 months.

Thanks DD. It is a gas to have this to explore and I'm getting my wish: it's almost at the stage where I can just listen to things as you have done without too much futzing. And man the sound was worth waiting for.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #1073 - 07/21/23 at 10:23:33

Lon, congratulations on receiving your Sarah 300B amplifier and sharing your initial impressions. I'm looking forward to your additional impressions as the amp burns in and tube rolling experimentation. Enjoy the journey and the music along the way.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1074 - 07/21/23 at 10:28:46

Thanks HK. I think my initial tube-rolling has hit a peak that I will let simmer as the amp seasons. I'm getting great sound that seems to show me I'm on the right track with my choices. And I'll spare the forums post after post for a spell until there's a change or an important aspect to report. Then when I feel I have a good handle on it all I'll report a concise review.

Happy as heck so far!

Tube complement decided on for now:

1 each Amperex 6085
2 each Russian red-tipped 6N6P
3 each Mullard 75C1
1 each Amperex 5R4WGY
2 each Sophia Electric Classic 300B

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1075 - 07/22/23 at 02:49:04

Sounds like a nice combo for sure! It is great to have a bunch of nice tubes for things like this.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1076 - 07/22/23 at 16:57:08

I made one change to the driver tubes: I put the Amperex Holland 7308 back in and got some interesting "dimensisonal" characteristics plus some warmth I like.

I made two moves with the voltage regulation tubes. First I went to all 75C1 and renjoyed that configuration but as it settled in it became a bit sterile. Then I moved to all 0A2 and really enjoyed the lush presentation and warmth. . . but the bass was not tight enough, my one niggling bit about that combo. So I remember Steve mentioning a 75C1 and two 0A2 as being a favored combo, went to that and man, it's just right. I am hopefully going to leave that as the voltage regulation trio for a spell.

Present combo:

1 each Amperex 6085
2 each Amperex Holland 7308
1 each Mullard 75C1
2 each Sylvania (supposedly cryo'd) 0A2
1 each Amperex 5R4WGY

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1077 - 07/23/23 at 14:42:48

Okay. . . I just can't leave well enough alone, that should be obvious.

I kept thinking about how the Classic 300B was designed to work in tandem with the Aqua 274B. So knowing I had over a dozen ceramic fuses to use in the SEWE300B I popped that very same Aqua 274B in the amp. . . and no arc, powered up perfectly and dang it if it isn't the best rectifier so far once warmed up. Best bass, big open sound field, no harsh treble. Wow. I cycled the amp on and off three times (with about ten minutes in between) and no issues.

Hope hope hope I can keep using the Aqua 274B with these 300B tubes as they are definitely a good combo.

Man that tube looks so cool in the center of the amp with similarly blue 300B tubes in the rear sides. I still miss the treble cut circuit a bit, but that may fade with more seasoning. The sound. . . wow.

Tube Complement:
1 each Amperex Holland 6085
2 each Amperex Holland 7308
1 each Mullard 75C1
2 each Sylvania (supposedly cryo'd) 0A2
1 each Sophia Electric Aqua 274B

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1078 - 07/23/23 at 20:04:08

Lon,

I love it that over years your adapting to treble sensitivity, and me to low bass sensitivity, seems we are left with understanding tubes very similarly...preferring, respecting and using a lot of the same tubes for the same reasons. Good tubes, and always the musician thing, where for some of us, having got sucked into listening pretty deeply to the instruments for a long time, seems that can amp up perception and discernment. But still, pretty fun to think about, considering different sensitivities, and the vast complexity of different systems and rooms, especially when the subtle stuff is needed in all the balances. Yet, all and all, seems that we are hearing and integrating tubes similarly in different rooms and systems, while also using complex tube sets when looked at across pre sections and amps.

I guess it must be to do with our adapting to our sensitivities in ways that balance across audio parameters. And perhaps as much, I think for you and I, our tuning style of digging until more recordings sound great and without "dumbing things down for great recordings" is a pretty vast but accurate baseline.

As usual, I likely would gravitate a touch more open/fast, a little less darkness to the "warm" but maybe not...not knowing the Sophia Classic 300B sound. In that Sofia direction, and enjoying your touching on reviewing tubes as you explore your new amp, this got me onto thinking that our slightly divergent experience with the Sophia Aqua 274B might be a good illustration of how system/room context can change a really good tube preference, and even sharing the luxury of a huge variety of similar preferred tuning tubes.

Since so much of my amp work has been to open space and fine detail with more complete resolution with natural speed and spectral balances... Getting that to happen musically was not a shoe-in, for me taking a lot of slow and cumulative effort. But the underlying fundamental seems pretty straight up..... pull resolution in balance everywhere, which is basically both increasing resolution while resolving smearing. Associated, the double edge part, if our "conditioned" sense of "detail" allows us to get really close, but without more fully resolving fine detail in space, we don't know it is not there.

Anyway, seems my system is probably a bit more of a "magnifying glass," and yours, by design, resolving and refined in all areas, but with a bit more warmth objective... likely more "forgiving."  

This probably explains in part my never having fully gotten the Sophia Aqua 274B in my amps. Whereas, in my 300B it is great. The amp still needs more open resolution and speeding up for me, but it is coming pretty easily and makes me think it doubtful that the ways this amp was tuned previously could be called strictly old school 300B. And from when I got it until now, now being more open from my work, the Sophia Aqua247B is one of the "best rectifiers" I have had in that amp to date (mine are mostly NOS and lots of them).

Makes me think about designing tubes for 300Bs and other "big power tubes" used in SE settings, perhaps having some reality. And why not, the levels of tuning we can explore these days. In my 300B these 274Bs have excellent open and complex ranges and balances, and do it all with an interesting very grounded and solid feel, while nudging warmth with great space and fine detail across the spectrum...not dulling "warmth." In my tuned up Torii and CSP3, the same tube did most all this, but did not have that synced in grounded feeling that makes them disappear into music like this.

I do have two of them for the 300B though, and glad Kamran got more thoughts from Sue at Sophia, finding out that for Steve's 300B one of their previous version 274B Aquas was questionable due to current constraints. I am too tight so far to buy them new anyway with so many killer NOS rectifiers, but I guess I will keep an eye out for used new version ones.That said, it was intersting to me that the other day you were liking as Amperex 5R4GWY, and I had been, and continue to, run a cleaner tube of the type, some Fivre 5R4GYs, needing added speed and clarity as I burn in some cap changes. And I too have found the 5AR4/GZ34s I tried in this amp a little thick.

Wish we had the same amp so I could hear your tests in my system with more relative accuracy, but then..... this is pretty cool to me. Hopefully this sidetrack has some interest for folks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1079 - 07/23/23 at 20:35:20

Yes, I think we have that common baseline. And I would wager we have good/trained audio memories. I always am befuddled when I see some music lovers say "audio memory is so fleeting" or "I can't remember the sound of a system before a change for a matter of minutes." I've trained myself to remember perhaps, but I do. And that really helps in tube selection, isolation selection, power selection, indeed amp or preamp selection. And then tuning them.

Also, the musician thing. . . . I was probably a better drummer than anything else but a piano and stringed instruments taught me the plethora of sound possible and guitar tunings, differing amps, and differing tubes in tubed instrument amps, as well as a small number of different effects have been a part of my exploration and accumulation of thoughts and processes of sound. And a solid sense of how instruments themselves sound. And my amateur experience at recording has helped me to get a sense of what does NOT record, what is missing or lost in recordings, which helps to tune as well.

Someone else I bet who has a real skillset to tune is DD.

The Aqua 274B is a very versatile tube and it seems to really be at home in the SEWE300B and I can imagine it is also a good tube in yours. I find it has a nice balance within its possible sonic effects between speed and warmth, and as such it has become an anchor tube in many complements for me. As the only rectifier in my system (the ZTPRE having no rectifier) it plays an important role. It's interesting that now there is not only an Aqua 274B II but also a Classic 300B II which are meant to be mirrored together. If I weren't targeting somehow getting WE300B tubes. . . a combo of those would tempt me.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #1080 - 07/24/23 at 20:15:54

Lon, what is the music you are using to evaluate your system?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1081 - 07/24/23 at 20:25:23

For the first twenty hours or so (five on five off five times process employed) I was listening mostly to music I am very familiar with--including some recordings I made of two bands I was in at the end of the 'eighties recorded in my then garage-apartment/rehearsal space) and used these to evaluate the bulk of my tube-rolling (I bought the amp without tubes). After that I mixed in music that I was most familiar with with music that was arriving by the mail and music that I have on my shelf to revisit. Mostly jazz, some Brazilian music, a bit of classical and a touch of rock. (That would be my normal listening diet).

Most--not all, maybe 70 percent--of what I was listening to is chonicled on the "Spinning Now" thread.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1082 - 07/24/23 at 21:08:59

Sounds a lot like how I judge most changes to my gear.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1083 - 07/24/23 at 21:14:33

Does that that mean that that 'that' that that new kid used may not be that correct?

(playing with your "with with" which is one of those English things that trips many up when learning)

Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1084 - 07/24/23 at 21:24:18

That's right.

IP Logged
DowdyPrime
Verified Member

Reply #1085 - 07/24/23 at 21:35:13

When/if you feel comfortable, Lon, it would be fascinating to hear you describe the sonic differences between your monoblock and the 300B. I imagine a big question for many people on the list (who have not had the pleasure to hear Decware amps before) is how the 25th anniversary SE84 variants (say, your monoblocks) compare to Sarah. You are probably one of the few people who will have had extensive experience with both... [For me, I am currently on the list for a SE84UFO25, and keep going back and forth about changing to Sarah.]

Waitlist Member!
For now: Technics 1200MK2, Jolida 9A preamp, Pi2AES streamer, Bifrost Gen 1 DAC, Chord Mojo Gen 1, Reisong A10, Peachtree Decco65, Zu Audio Dirty Weekend Omens, Monitor Audio Silver 6s. Monoprice/Morrow cables.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1086 - 07/24/23 at 21:46:45

Curious as well, but waiting for the right time to push.
Wink

Aren't mono'ed SEs about the same power as a stereo Sarah?
We all have a lot more to learn and you, Lon are the first one with both in one room, I think.

Smiley

We wait.

Enjoy the journey.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1087 - 07/24/23 at 21:46:54

Well, the SEWE300B is not fully seasoned yet I don't think, but believe me the entire time I've listened to it in some part of my brain I have been making comparisons to the very well-seasoned Monoblocks I have.

There are two main differences between the amps. One is volume/power. It is quite clear immediately that the SEW300B has more power in comparison to the Monoblocks. Which in my case has proven to be a boon as the Monoblocks with my HR-1 speakers work, and will go louder than I need them to, but they do show some strain and distortion way up in the volume range (which I never listen to but. . . ) The SEWE300B feels like a much more comfortable fit for the speakers and the soundstage seems a little more upfront and enveloping. Which may or may not be a good thing, and may change when more seasoning happens. (I like as much depth to the sound as I can get--at the moment the Monoblocks have a bit of edge in that regard).

Which leads into the second comparative: the Monoblocks hae a more refined and intimate sound that I have gotten so used to over five years. I sort of miss that as I listen to a lot of music where that is complimentary--acoustic instruments in a sort of chamber ensemble size, jazz and classical and Brazilian. Now the Monoblocks have been seasoning for over five years, and seasoning with these amplifiiers is REAL. I know that the SEWE300B will be more refined sounding in the future, that's how the amps mature. It's a subtle difference but in comparison the instrumental images seem a bit larger and thicker in texture and with commensurately less separation between them with the SEWE300B. And then there is the hum. . . which I think contributes that in part. There's a tiny bit of hum with the SEWE300B that I think is inherent IN the 300B tube and necessary circuitry. Anyone who is bothered by and obsesses over hum in a Zen amp shouldn't get an SEWE300B. It's totally not audible for me in my listening seat. Period. But the ever-present hum will bother some. By the same token the Monoblocks are quieter and that extra level of "blackness" to the sound is I think what contributes to that "refinement" and the razor thin appearance of the imaging. But time will tell as the SEWE300B matures and seasons. Also I think a possible bit of the difference in "refinement" may be due to the fact that I have Monoblock amps--separate chassis and power supply and dual input tubes etc. differences from the single chassis SEWE300B.

Also related to both comparisons I think is that I have been using preamps for years and years. The SEWE300B is likely to sound just a bit better without a preamp because Steve built a preamp stage into it at the input stage. The Monoblocks (and other Zen amps I've had in the past) don't have that preamp stage and a preamp helps them more.

There is one more difference between my two amplifications: though both have the power supply mods the Monoblocks are all Jupiter caps and the SEWE300B are all Miflex in those mods. My experience with hearing both brands/types in my Taboo MK IV is that there is a subtle difference in character between the two, the Miflex being a tiny bit clearer and quicker perhaps.

So I think a choice can depend on two things: the volume or power one needs for the speakers and the type of music one generally plays. If you want to rock out or blast symphonic music. . .the SEWE300B would be a better choice. If one likes solo instruments, jazz, chamber music, folk etc. predominantly the UFO25 might be just the ticket if the speakers are really and actually fine with that level of power output.

Hope that makes sense and may be helpful.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1088 - 07/24/23 at 22:05:36

DD, "Mono'd ZEN amps" would be within the range (probably about 5 amps or so in comparison to the 4 to 7 the SEWE300B can be configured to with voltage regulation tube variations) and similarly powered to the SEWE300B.

But MY SE84UFO3 are not "mono'd" but MONOBLOCK, i.e one chassis and power supply per channel. Not two two channel amps each bridged to mono. As they are Monoblocks that does mean a little bit more power than an SE84UFO amp due to the dual power supplies, but probably 10 percent more, not the much larger power increase from "mono-ing" the amps..

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84UFO3.html

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1089 - 07/25/23 at 06:29:32

Hey Lon,

When I got my "new" used 300B, it was different for me, without volume pots to factor into my gain tuning, always wide open. Still, surprisingly loud, the pre stages tend to be at similar levels as with my Torii for louder listening. But my system shifted from a minor hum I could not hear except within a few feet of the speakers, to a more notable/irritating one that if I listen carefully could be heard subtly, but pretty far away without music. With the amazing loudness of the 300B, I wondered if it had something to do with impedance into the amp being different...I would love a good explanation of impedance and impedance matching.

Anyway, back in the day, with some serious internal tuning for more speed and resolution from the ZRock2, what seemed like its self-noise from the transformer hum and the field it created got a little better. But it was audible in a little different ways being a more complex hum... still better for me, even at pretty high gain levels. And at normal gain levels using a ZBIT, ZRock2, and CSP3 before my Torii gain, hard to hear it.

With the new amp that all changed. To verify source, I first did a bunch of tube and cable/ground loop tests with some OK results, but not big shifts. This seemed like something worse. So I ran the 300B straight from the ZBIT. On minimal perusal the ZBIT seemed a pretty nice pre to me in this setup, and No noise... well, just a little hiss/hum, ear right next to the driver, but very quiet. Then I plugged in the CSP3 after the ZBIT, the hum got a touch louder, but barely there, so not sure if it was amplification from the CSP3, or the CSP3 adding a little, but guessing a bit of both. Then I plugged in the ZRock2 between ZBIT and CSP3, and it notably hummed, especially with gains up enough for loud listening... Making it more challenging, I discovered that around the same time my power company solved some of the variable high voltage here, but increased noise during high neighborhood use, so it was a sort of nightmare hum finding event.

I moved things in the ZRock further from its transformer and put major shields on all cables in it. I had gotten away previously not using shields like the original had, using a silver wire in oversized teflon tube for ground and/or "shield," and a cross woven UPOCC wire geometry over the teflon tube for my signal. But in this new setup especially, more official shields were needed, and at normal gain levels barely discernible hum then. But turn the ZRock and CSP3 up into a wide open amp... noisy for my temperament. So I made a little aluminum walls to shield around the transformer in the enclosure, which also helped some. Seems in this setup, the the Zrock noise was amplified by the pre and amp, and though I naturally thought the noise was from the "new thing," the amp without the ZRock was notably quiet. Barring intentional masking, or removing the transformer from the ZR2 box, I can't think of what else to do. But luckily, at my preferred gain balancing levels, the hum is minor now. I don't really notice it except close to the speakers when my power is noisier. But bypass the ZRock, all is quiet.

Long story, but just wondering if you identified the hum specifically to the new amp, or if ...like me, it may be that the new amp with the rest sets up and amplifies other hum more than the amp creating it???

Also recalling that in the past none of my Decware amps got through the earlier phases of burnin until 200-300 hours when less ups and downs, and more subtle info "arrived" more completely. And they kept improving with subtler presentation up into 500-600 and beyond. I wonder if Steve's 300B is different for some reasons?

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #1090 - 07/25/23 at 09:45:57

I have found that hum is dependent on tubes. The economy Chinese tubes had zero hum. WE300B had a slight but noticeable hum with both 5U4G and less with 5AR4-WC (Cryotone) that couldn't be adjusted away with the hum pot knobs. The Cryotone 300B-WC initially had a very slight hum, but it went away with about ~200 hours on the tubes and ~500 on the Sarah.

Speaking of break-in, I am fully confident you will find the refinement and intimacy you are currently missing as soon as your tubes and Sarah have a couple hundred more hours of seasoning. I am at ~600 hours now, and there is absolutely no comparison to the first 100-200 hours when the sound quality fluctuated on a daily basis.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1091 - 07/25/23 at 09:57:40

I don't have the skill to move parts around and the way that the system is set up now as far as positioning and sequencing the components is how it has to be to get the sound I need, so. . . I am reporting that I have hum that I didn't have with my previous amps in the same requisite situation. And to be honest it doesn't seem to me to be the type of hum that goes away, but if it does I'll be happy to report it. It will be quite some time, months or more, before I have another pair of 300B tubes to compare so I have none to compare--it may be THESE 300B tubes, or not. I'll mention hum no more until there are hundreds of hours on the amp and if it still persists.

I can barely hear it at my listening seat 9 feet away, I have to strain.

As for the refinement. . . I don't doubt that the SEWE300B with plenty of additional hours will close the gap, but I suspect there will still remain a bit of contrast in what I am calling "refinement" between the amps. We'll see.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1092 - 07/25/23 at 10:06:16

Oh and I want to report one thing, about the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B. I thought I had been introducing a new one into the amp but apparently not as I discovered my new, previously unused one, still in the bubble wrap. So I tried that one. No arcing, just constiently starting up fine and dandy, and sounding fantastic in this amp with its "sister" tubes, the Classic 300B. I tried that previous Aqua in the Taboo and it did a tiny arc powering up. So it's going into retirement. So it seems the Aqua is a great tube for the SEWE300B as I have it configured.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1093 - 07/25/23 at 12:29:17

Lon wrote on 07/24/23 at 22:05:36:

DD, "Mono'd ZEN amps" would be within the range (probably about 5 amps or so in comparison to the 4 to 7 the SEWE300B can be configured to with voltage regulation tube variations) and similarly powered to the SEWE300B.

But MY SE84UFO3 are not "mono'd" but MONOBLOCK, i.e one chassis and power supply per channel. ]

Sorry, Lon. I was not thinking it through with that question.
I shouldn't try to post when I'm exhausted. Worrisome times this past week with my mom in for surgery again, several states away.
Sometimes worrying and waiting can be as tiresome as physical labor, if not more so.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1094 - 07/25/23 at 12:36:13

Absolutely, I know all too well that waiting and worrying thing. .. especially with medical matters. Hope all goes well.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1095 - 07/25/23 at 13:34:03

Thanks, Lon.
Seems fine for now, but she turns 87 next week and has had three surgeries in three years. I begin to wonder what is left for them to whack at.
She has CML, form of leukemia, kept in check with a barrage of drugs mostly. This showed up at age 70 and she had a 5% chance to live five years. It has been seventeen now.
She's a fighter!

Smiley

Enough personal stuff.

Let's get back to your bothersome hum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1096 - 07/25/23 at 13:37:26

Nah, I'm not talking about hum. That's done for now. And now I have a big issue with my transport and have frustrated myself so much that I have to step away and chill with my wife and TV for a few hours. Sigh.

I hope for the best for Mom. She's a fighter and wants to live. I miss my Mom every day (she made it to 82) and hope you can have more years!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #1097 - 07/25/23 at 13:46:27

Thanks again, Lon.

I know tubes can take time to "settle" in after being left idle for a generation or two with no voltage anywhere near them as with many NOS I have bought.

I have no experience with a 300B amp, hence my edge of the chair interest with this thread.
I do have much wider experience with guitar amps and all those rectifier and power tube issues concerning hum from varying just one tube sometimes.

I am enjoying the reports of your exploration.
Don't worry if it feels like a blow by blow. You can be our Cosell as you sum it up!

Good luck your transport issue and enjoy your chill time.
Nothing better than bumping elbows over a snack tray with my best friend in front of some movie we've both seen a few times.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #1098 - 07/25/23 at 15:19:53

Lon, what do you mean by "arcing?"

When I think of arcing I picture what happens in the microwave when I put something in there that shouldn't be there and a bolt of lighting flashes and scares the crap out of me.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #1099 - 07/25/23 at 15:45:07

Quote:
Posted by: Ghostship      Posted on: Today at 01:45:57

I have found that hum is dependent on tubes. The economy Chinese tubes had zero hum. WE300B had a slight but noticeable hum...

I've had the same experience. My Chinese tubes are dead quiet, the Takatsukis have a little bit hum. My amp is SS rectified so no opportunity to try different rectifiers, but it does have hum balance pots. Adjusting the pots will completely eliminate 60 Hz "filament hum" but there is a little 120 Hz buzz that remains. It decreases as the amp warms up, but its still there after several hours. Hum is a bit of a trigger for me but I guess I'm learning to live with it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print