Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 20:49:56 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 143359 times)
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #700 - 12/16/22 at 21:27:05

I’m hoping that when my turn to hear Sarah comes around that some transformer Cryo-love will be an option. By then maybe l’ll know more about the Wathen OB speakers, that could  be an interesting avenue to explore. Full sized cryogenic treated voice coils & super secret squirrel stuff that went right over my head.

Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #701 - 12/17/22 at 16:19:41

Are any tubes for this amp besides the 300b available from a US manufacturer?
WE announced back in March that they would be expanding. I understand that takes time but back to some of the original posts in this development thread it gave the impression that part of the intention was to create an amp around US tubes. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or have any updates?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #702 - 12/17/22 at 17:27:19

Mjmalon wrote on 12/17/22 at 16:19:41:
Are any tubes for this amp besides the 300b available from a US manufacturer?
WE announced back in March that they would be expanding. I understand that takes time but back to some of the original posts in this development thread it gave the impression that part of the intention was to create an amp around US tubes. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or have any updates?

I looked around the web a few months ago and again today and haven't seen any recent news, in fact no news of the Western Electric new manufacturing project beyond talking of developing one. So seems it will be a while before there are other than NOS American tubes to use on this one.

Perhaps Steve has had some news from Western Electric itself.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #703 - 12/17/22 at 17:39:52

Quote:
Posted by: Mannytheseacow      Posted on: Today at 16:19:41

...WE announced back in March that they would be expanding. I understand that takes time but back to some of the original posts in this development thread it gave the impression that part of the intention was to create an amp around US tubes...

Yeah, "time" is going to be measured in years and probably many years IMO. The internet thinks the next tube WE is going to make is a 6SN7 anyway, which while potentially adaptable is not directly usable in Sarah. The thing about the 300B is that, for a vacuum tube, it is big and simple so (relatively) easy to manufacture. Stepping up to an octal dual triode like the 6SN7 is like a new generation of tube technology. And going from that to a miniature 9 pin like a 12A[T|U|X]7 is another generation after that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #704 - 12/17/22 at 18:20:31

Without trying to start a political discussion, my understanding is that Wathan’s cryo tubes begin their life as JJ’s, which are Slovakian? So if one were trying to stay away from Russian or Chinese tubes cryo’s are the next best thing?
FWIW I love my Chinese Lii’s.

*edit- looking at the Wathan site many of their tubes say “NOS made in USA material”.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #705 - 12/17/22 at 18:40:13

Yes, the Cryo-tone voltage regulation tubes start out as NOS American made tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #706 - 12/17/22 at 18:44:59

For what Wathan's cryo tubes cost I'd rather buy NOS, but that is JMO/FWIW/YMMV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #707 - 12/17/22 at 18:52:50

I agree whole-heartedly . . . especially as my sonic experience with the Wathen tubes I've bought is less positive than that of many here. I literally have dozens of these voltage regulation tubes in my stash, bought very very reasonably. Looking forward to the fine-tuning they may add to my 300B listening; have really enjoyed rolling them in my Toriis (in the past) and SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #708 - 12/17/22 at 21:46:40

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #709 - 12/17/22 at 21:48:55

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #710 - 12/24/22 at 00:56:23

I made one more video of the amp with Ed Pongs tape but this time connected the tape heads to the ZP3 tube stage and a ZROCK.  It was a good way to end this thread, as we launch this amp tonight.  It was honestly the best sound I've heard out of the system since this all started and quite possibly the best sound I've ever heard period.  

I thought it was pretty good just from the solid state tape machine, but it's been awhile since I went to level 3 with the all tube tape machine setup so I set that up and shocked myself with the sound quality.  Sorry for the profanity at the end of the video... but it was that good.

https://youtu.be/tHvdt8EgEt8

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #711 - 12/24/22 at 00:57:53

And here is the link to the web page for the Sarah 300B amplifier: https://www.decwareproducts.com/sarah

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #712 - 12/24/22 at 01:12:47

Steve, would the Sarah 300B Amplifier forum be a good place for this thread now? Thanks for posting the link to the new web page.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #713 - 12/24/22 at 06:59:18

Congrats Steve— a major milestone, this!

Happy Holidays to you and the Decware team!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #714 - 12/24/22 at 13:04:13

Bravo Steve! The journey has been exceptional, thanks for sharing!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #715 - 12/24/22 at 15:05:45

I agree, Congratulations! Thank you very much for letting us come along for the ride!  

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #716 - 12/27/22 at 02:32:56

What’s the concern with WE? I ordered 300b’s for my amp and got them quickly. I used Gold Lions first, which sounded very good, and then put in some WE’s. These are fantastic. I suppose some other American competition would be nice but you won’t need more than what these have to offer.
Interestingly, if you research WE, they procured some of the original metal used to build some aspect of the new tubes. I guess trying to get the “old” sound. The article also discusses improvements in techniques that they now employ.

IP Logged
Junker
Verified Member

Reply #717 - 12/29/22 at 01:14:32

Love this thread!

I'm new here and just a couple questions that I have bouncing around my head. I'm not an EE so bear with me if I missed or misunderstood anything.

Would you ever consider mono Sarah amps? How could 2x Sarah be a bad thing am I right?!

I have a really nice DAC that I would love to run into something like this. The DAC can output 6V, 2V, and 0.6V. I almost have to wonder if in my case it wouldn't be preferable to run the 6V out and skip a pre-amp section, but the intention that you've put into it means that it's going to work well and as intended by the designer. Would you most likely run it at 2V in? I have a pair of Altec 604 with >100dB efficiency and run way at the bottom of the dial with a 12W 6V6 push-pull.

The hum is something else I am considering with these speakers but honestly I don't think it will be a big deal when playing music, and that type hum is pretty innocuous anyway. I have an isolation transformer that I run with my Shindo Apetite and would run one here as well.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #718 - 12/29/22 at 03:06:50

Hi Junker,

Welcome to the forum!  Your DAC at 6V and at 2V would sound good.  Which is better would depend on speakers and room acoustics, cables and so on.  The 6V has the potential for more weight.

Mono, yes.  The Sarah was designed with the Zen Triode's legendary floating output stage so that it can be series bridged into mono which does not smear the sound like standard bridging can.  It sounds great and of course has twice the power.  

It's important to understand that this would sound significantly better than a 300B amp design that puts two 300B tubes in parallel on each channel.  When Sarah is series bridged the output tubes are in series like a totem pole where the differences in the two channels compliment and reinforce each other instead of smear each other like they would in parallel.  It is even possible to use two completely different 300B tubes on each channel (on purpose) to create your own unique 300B sound that exists nowhere else.  Trust me, it's glorious sounding.

In fact it is also possible, just like all Zen Triodes, to make a custom cable set that would allow you to run the amplifiers as fully differential-balanced monoblocks which takes it up another notch.

Tonight we listened to master tapes on the stereo unit paired with 100dB open baffle speakers and the sound demands your more or less undivided attention. How something can be so warm and smooth and so articulated and dynamic at the same time is hard to process, but that is the essence of it.

Thanks for joining the forum!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #719 - 12/29/22 at 03:11:56

Quote:
Posted by: Junker      Posted on: Today at 01:14:32
Love this thread!

...Would you ever consider mono Sarah amps? How could 2x Sarah be a bad thing am I right?!

First, welcome to the family!

Now, my 2 cents is this. I have two UFOs that I run as balanced/differential monos, and they are so good I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s. I think running a pair of Sarahs balanced (assuming your  source is truly balanced) would be awesome. But if your speakers are really  >100dB and you want to use the amps as "regular" single ended monos I don't know if that is really the best way to spend another 4, 5 or 6+ grand (depending on tubes , interconnects etc.) when a single Sarah has way more juice than you need to drive your speakers to really loud.

IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #720 - 12/31/22 at 17:24:02

Any thoughts on how this 300B amp will play with Zu Druid Vs?

Trying attach impedance graph.

Presenting I have 2 mono UFO.2.25s sounds pretty damn good.

D1EC7227-E7A5-42A8-8B84-04BA803D2A8B.jpeg

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
MontanaDude
Verified Member

Reply #721 - 01/01/23 at 01:07:31

This looks stunningly beautiful...

Any opinions yet on using the Sarah vs. CSP325 + SE84UFO25 (w/pimped mods)? Speakers are currently Forte IVs, but would likely upgrade to Cornwalls down the line. Primary source is mid-level turntable, but that would also get an upgrade to high end deck + MC + ZPC + ZM1-3.

Am currently on the waiting list for some of this stuff but would be considering a pivot prior to their pulling my order.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #722 - 01/01/23 at 01:20:44

In reading this thread since the beginning it seems to me that the two configurations sound equally magnificent if different. Steve towards the final version of the prototype seemed to indicate that they shared important characteristics and were both "stairways to heaven."

I would think with your speakers' efficiency that you may not need the little boost in power the 300B might provide. But it also seems that the 300B doesn't need a preamp or won't benefit from the preamp as much as the 25th amp may and not having to buy a preamp is a savings.

So. . . perhaps Steve will weigh in (who is perhaps the only one so far that can really answer this, having spent time with both). But there is some information from Steve ahead in this thread.

IP Logged
MontanaDude
Verified Member

Reply #723 - 01/01/23 at 13:32:35

Thanks Lon. I'd wager the rubber hits the road at "magnificent if different." So more specifically, I'm interested in getting great regular performance at around 65db, with occasional (read: spouse-free) sessions at 75-80db. Content is all over the place, but lots of classic rock and modern post-rock (Tortoise, Shellac, Jim O'Rourke, etc), plus some fairly regular hip hop streamed from DAC. Hoping Steve (or others) might speak to these sorts of differences.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #724 - 01/01/23 at 16:06:56

Quote:
Posted by: MontanaDude      Posted on: Today at 01:07:31
This looks stunningly beautiful...

Any opinions yet on using the Sarah vs. CSP325 + SE84UFO25 (w/pimped mods)?

My opinion is you are going to have a hard deciding what sounds best to you based on message board posts today. Have you listened to the videos Steve has posted of Sarah and the UFO25? Short of visiting Decware and listening for yourself that is best chance to hear actual sonic difference IMO. FWIW this is what Steve said about the comparison, although not the final production Sarah (full disclosure, I don't know what it means):

Tonight during the triangle track I realized what is happening between the two amps. SE84UFO25 and SEWE300B.  

I believe what is actually happening is that the SEWE300B is like HD or even 2K resolution at 60 fps and the SE84UFO25 is like 4K at 30 fps.

But, if it were me the decision would probably boil down to some of the following questions:

Do I want more than 2 1/2 watts? If so get the Sarah

Am I uncomfortable spending 1K$+ for high end 300B tubes? If so get the UFO25

Do I dislike (or like) the idea of a preamp and the extra cables, power cord &c ?

As a practical matter, if you are serious about getting one or the other my advice would be to order anything now to get a place on the list, then wait for posters to start talking about the 300B amps they receive, which should be happening in the next few months. You'll have plenty of time to make up your mind.

The good news is you really can't go wrong with either.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #725 - 01/01/23 at 21:46:40

Hey Lon. You mention Steve undecided whether a preamp is needed. Aric said the same to me regarding my 300b. I wonder if it’s a 300b thing or a level of quality thing. Next time I contact Aric I will ask.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #726 - 01/01/23 at 22:17:28

Yes, Steve definitely mentions that in this thread. My guess is because of the second gain stage that he has incorporated into the amp, and I think all 300B amps need a second gain stage, and of course there is the input gain control on the amp that is one of the main jobs of a preamplifier.

Myself, I can't imagine not using my ZTPRE with the amp. . . I'll probably pop it in my system right as I have my Monoblocks at first, that is PS Audio DirectStream DAC to ZTPRE to ZBIT to ZROCK2 to amp(s). I bet it will sound fantastic!

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #727 - 01/01/23 at 23:08:32

Very nice! I bet that will sound awesome. Should be fun to try with and without. Look forward to your thoughts on the sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #728 - 01/02/23 at 02:25:26

I look forward to having thoughts! It's still a bit of a wait before me!

https://giphy.com/gifs/kim-novak-tXL4FHPSnVJ0A/fullscreen

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #729 - 01/02/23 at 02:49:42

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t imagine a system without a (tube) preamp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #730 - 01/02/23 at 02:56:21

Hard for me to imagine too. Though in my experimentation a system with a ZROCK2 may make me forget about a preamp . . . for a while.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #731 - 01/02/23 at 03:47:46

CAJames. I’ve always had a pre as well. It’s strange not using one. My dac has tubes. So at least I’ve got that.

IP Logged
MontanaDude
Verified Member

Reply #732 - 01/02/23 at 14:20:47

Quote:
FWIW this is what Steve said about the comparison, although not the final production Sarah (full disclosure, I don't know what it means):

Tonight during the triangle track I realized what is happening between the two amps. SE84UFO25 and SEWE300B.  

I believe what is actually happening is that the SEWE300B is like HD or even 2K resolution at 60 fps and the SE84UFO25 is like 4K at 30 fps.

But, if it were me the decision would probably boil down to some of the following questions:

Do I want more than 2 1/2 watts? If so get the Sarah

Am I uncomfortable spending 1K$+ for high end 300B tubes? If so get the UFO25

Do I dislike (or like) the idea of a preamp and the extra cables, power cord &c ?

As a practical matter, if you are serious about getting one or the other my advice would be to order anything now to get a place on the list, then wait for posters to start talking about the 300B amps they receive, which should be happening in the next few months. You'll have plenty of time to make up your mind.

Want to make sure I understand the analogy being made here:

2K vs 4K would be the difference in detail, while 30 fps vs 60 fps would be about transient response: 60 FPS offers more clarity on the top end, maybe more definition on percussive instrument attacks.

Assuming I'm reading this right (Steve, please clarify at your convenience), I'd personally opt for the 4K / 30 fps found with the UFO25 + CSP325.

Everyone is invited to push back on this.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #733 - 01/02/23 at 15:33:35

It can be hard to make a purchase without hearing these amps in person.  Steve’s YouTube videos do help in the process.  Personally I’ve found that listening to the the Decfest live stream renders more detail versus the Youtube videos.  

Maybe Steve would consider setting up livestream appointments every now and then to hear the differences between the UFO25 and the Sarah or any other combinations of amps.  

I attended Decfest the year the UFO25 was released (which was my first Decfest) and was amazed on all fronts.  Afterward I had a conversation with Steve with concerns over my room size and the power output of the UFO25 vs the TORII MKIV.  I ultimately decided to go with the Torii since I wanted the extra power to handle movies and for parties.   BUT…. I can tell you that I fell in love with the SET sound so much that after 1.5 years of Torii ownership and having funds more readily available… I grabbed a ZEN UFO on the used market.  I have been using the ZEN amp almost exclusively lately for my regular listening sessions and the Torii for parties and movies.  

I have a hunch that the Sarah 300B may be the end all and game changing amp in the SET topology as long as it’s paired with decently efficient speakers.  I must admit that with now owning both Push Pull and SET Decware amps….I gravitate towards the sound of the SET topology.  Hope this helps.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #734 - 01/02/23 at 16:35:27

Perhaps the entire content by Steve referencing 2K and 4K would help:

Reply #69 - 04/19/22 at 10:20pm UPDATE Tuesday

Trying to wrap my brain around this tube trying to figure out why it sounds so different.  I couldn't figure out if it's a speed thing or what... what else could it be?  As I mentioned in my last post this amp sounds like a Zen Triode with a CSP325 in front of it. Adding a CSP3 or CSP325 in front of any of our other amplifiers adds density, body, tone.  It makes the digital source sound more like real music.

This amplifier is doing it without the preamp. So it feesl unusual to hear this kind of body without the extra parts in the signal path... ie. preamp.

It definitely sounds like it is connecting all the dots with digital recordings making me wonder if the other Decware amps are just too fast. No that's silly, besides how can a tube be slow to a point where you could hear a difference...  (mind is cooking)

The stereotypical way to connect all the dots is with syrup. We don't need a 1950's thick ass slow mushy amp. There's a lot of them out there. And trust me, the way I built this it is not slow.

So anyway I have been pondering this for the past couple days and then tonight I jumped into the listening chair and caught something that I think is a clue.

I was listening to some delicate triangles being struck in the background of a Larry Carlton piece and marveling at the animation and delicacy of it. The trail of the stick was fully and gracefully defined. I could see it, feel it, and it was different. There was just more there. When you can see the trail of the stick you know it's good, because it's during that trail -- there is no sound.  It's the time the stick is in the air between the notes and what it does that makes music, not the strike. So we're easily able to excavate down to this level, yet things sound so smooth while it's doing it.

I say that because you associate smooth with "filter" or "slower".  

Anyway, these are some things I am wrestling with trying to prepare to describe the sound. So far the one word description is: DENSITY.

Treble and bass sound so close it's really too hard to call it yet. I think the SE84UFO25 may have tighter bass, but the SEWE300B has more bass density.

More bass density! That potentiality is why I ordered a SEWE300B.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #735 - 01/02/23 at 17:09:20

Quote:
Posted by: MontanaDude      Posted on: Today at 14:20:47

2K vs 4K would be the difference in detail, while 30 fps vs 60 fps would be about transient response: 60 FPS offers more clarity on the top end, maybe more definition on percussive instrument attacks.

Honestly, I posted that somewhat tongue in cheek because, like I said, I have no idea what it actually means and it was referring to an earlier version of the amp, not the one that will actually be sold. If you haven't read all this thread (or at least Steve's posts) that would be a good project at which point you'd know as much as most of us. Also the UFO25 thread is here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1510887200

and here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1531362294

For me personally I love my UFOs so much I'm back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s. A few months ago I acquired a (used) 300B amp similar to this one:

http://www.thebestamp.com/Single-Ended_Tube_Amps/SE-300B-BAL.php

And with Takatsuki 300B tubes and "fancy" 6SN7 equivalent input tubes it sounds really good, and actually pretty similar to my UFOs, but I like the UFOs better. So if it were me, I would take the UFO25. I love the speed and detail and transparency and don't find I'm lacking any "midrange magic" or whatever you want to call it. Also, my Scottish Heritage points out the UFO25 is considerably less expensive than a Sarah with high end 300B tubes, which in my (limited) experience would be absolutely essential.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #736 - 01/02/23 at 17:11:48

Quote:
It can be hard to make a purchase without hearing these amps in person.

I agree with that statement.  Even then it will be hard as Dominick's experience shows.  

I have been loosely following the development of the Sarah and trying to come to grips with what the difference is between the the Sarah and UFO25.

Based on my exposure to 300B amps and now living with the UFO25 I look at it as a matter of euphonics.  The word euphonic is interpolated from the Latin and Greek which essentially conveys the idea of "pleasing to the ear".  IMO both are pleasing to the ear so what's the difference?

The 300B amps that I have been exposed to are very pleasing to the ear through addition, adding a sort of pleasant flavour (pleasing to the ear in this case).  In so doing the addition also masks a small degree of detail.  Which in this case is not a bad thing.  I think of this as being similar to my adding a small amount of cream and sugar to my morning Americano using a good blend and roast of coffee beans as a base.

The UFO25 on the other hand, is euphonic through subtraction.  It's the espresso that you don't add anything to in order to be able to taste the undiluted flavour of the roast and blend of the coffee bean, which also is very pleasing to the pallet IF that is to ones taste.

What the UFO25 does is pass through the euphonic nature of the instrument(s) and/or voice.  The details in the transients and timing which now come through unhindered provided that the associated equipment can do the same.  Also very pleasing to the ear!

Do not get the impression that I am saying one is better than the other.  I drink my Americano with a touch of cream and sugar and I also like a good double shot of espresso, like my scotch - NEAT.

So the question is, what's the most pleasing to my ear?  As Dominicks experience shows, which also is my experience, it can be a matter of acquired taste as well.

Some of us will be able to have both.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #737 - 01/02/23 at 18:27:27

The first retail production model hasn't even been built much less delivered yet. I would caution posting comparisons between the UFO25 and other manufacturers' 300b amps in the Decware SEWE300B development thread, lest we really confuse people.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #738 - 01/02/23 at 20:03:15

I'm in total agreement with Ghostship. Only Steve really knows how the SEWE300B compares to the other Decware amps, and I get the impression that this amp will be different from other 300B amps, significantly.

The first 300B is about #10 on the list so it should be on the bench soon. The first amps out in the field and the first ones reported on here will tell us something--we just have to get through the winter. Wink

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #739 - 01/02/23 at 21:42:17

I’ll play devil’s advocate…I doubt anyone will get a 300b and say it doesn’t measure up. Perhaps over time when the new toy phase wears off. I’m hoping it’s a big hit, personally I’m in no position to upgrade for awhile, but the seed has been planted in my head…UFO25 or 300b…I don’t think that’s an easy decision!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #740 - 01/02/23 at 21:45:09

Quote:

I believe what is actually happening is that the SEWE300B is like HD or even 2K resolution at 60 fps and the SE84UFO25 is like 4K at 30 fps

Actually my post was not a comparison to other manufacturers 300B amps or using those as a basis for my initial thoughts.  It was the above comments by Steve that indicate that 300b tubes do have an effect on the  euphonic nature to the sound and that the effect of the UFO25 is euphonic in a different manner.

The fact that 300B tubes will have an effect will be true regardless of the manufacturer or design.  Based on my experience with the UFO25 I do expect the Sarah to be very different from other 300B based amps just as the UFO25 is from other SET designs.

Steves statements using the analogy of video resolution as quoted seem to convey that or at least that is what I understood.  My recent experience with how the UFO25 responded to the changes that I have made definitely confirm what Steve stated as it pertains to the UFO25.

The changes were in the front end, ethernet filters, power filters and cables that focused on transparency, transient response and timing.  The UFO25 conveyed the changes in a way that I did not expect with a clarity that I can only describe as a pass through that is also best described as 4K at 30 fps, or in my analogy of the espresso with nothing added.

If there is any danger in expressing that it is no more or no less dangerous than saying that the Sarah is warmer and the UFO25 more resolving as those statements are also applicable to any other 300B amp vs any other SET that does not use 300B tubes... eg. 300B vs 2A3.

IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #741 - 01/03/23 at 00:32:53

Ok, I have to chime in here, if you told me the number of most tubes I would have to look up what it is. I don’t look at or want to understand graphs. Like most I want the most bang for the Buck. If I hear an improvement it’s better to me.

Well, while waiting patiently for a Sarah 300b, zbit, and zrock 2 system we purchased a Dennis Had 300b amp, and the 300b amp has totally blown us away. We just love the WE 300b sound! We are using Goldenear Triton Reference speakers 93.25db we mostly play at 60% volume, crank it to 80% volume and that plays at 85db in our 20 x 22 room that has extensive GIK Acoustics room treatment as well as lots of silk plants.

All of this has changed our lives, there is no such thing as music (system) fatigue here. We wake up saying to each other… ok, ok it’s James Taylor day, or Pink Floyd day, or etc. etc.… too many songs so little time!

Thank You… eagerly and patiently waiting for our Sarah to come home.

Just my thoughts,
Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #742 - 01/03/23 at 02:11:03

I too, at an earlier date, and with different formats and components, spent a lot of time getting my front end solidly transparent and dynamic, and I've never been happier with my Monoblocks and other Decware components. I don't think anyone is at odds with anyone on this thread. I agree with Sean that the 300B is going to be well-received and praised, and I agree that either "route" with the differing amps and with and without a preamp is going to yield excellent sound.

I do expect the 300B to have a unique sound in the company stable, and I do expect it to have a unique sound among other 300B amps. Looking forward to reading impressions!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #743 - 01/03/23 at 04:49:39

We wake up saying to each other… ok, ok it’s James Taylor day, or Pink Floyd day, or etc. etc.… too many songs so little time

Steve, I think that's about as good as it gets, Congrats

What brand of 300b tubes did you settle on?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #744 - 01/03/23 at 05:22:06

Whatever tubes Steve suggests are the best, I’am pretty sure it will be the WE 300b’s.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #745 - 01/03/23 at 06:19:07

And, what tube came with Dennis Had 300b? Did it come with WE?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Steve08226

Reply #746 - 01/03/23 at 07:06:06

Yes, it came with the WE 300b tubes.

As a matter of fact the WE 300b tubes are only 300b tubes I’ve ever heard.

Thank you,
Steve

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #747 - 01/03/23 at 17:19:22

Quote:

Assuming I'm reading this right (Steve, please clarify at your convenience), I'd personally opt for the 4K / 30 fps found with the UFO25 + CSP325.

I wasn't really thinking of transient response when I made that analogy --

When I look at a 60 FPS video I see more fluidity in the way things move.  It has little to do with resolution of the images that are moving.  I often resort to video references when trying to describe sound.

Another analogy I could use is color.  The colors are bolder and richer on the Sarah but when the colors go semi-transparent so you can start to see through the color, the UFO25 shows this translucency with crystal clarity.

Over the years and especially with the UFO25 I have come to understand the Zen Triode is the amp you actually can't hear.  That's it's magic.  I got the Sarah as close to that as the 300B wanted to get without loosing its sonic potential.

So we think the 300B is warmer or fatter sounding than the 6P15P used in the UFO25 because that is what we hear.

There is some great irony in that because the first harmonic of the fundamental tone on an SET amplifier is always even order and in this case exactly double the frequency of the fundamental tone.  This ghost note exactly one octave above the music is what determines the THD distortion %.

In my world it is the most meaningful when we look at what is happening at 1 watt RMS of output as this is where it will be during the majority of your listening session on most speakers.

You would think the "SET" sound is due to this even order harmonic since push pull amplifiers generally don't have it, and have much lower distortion in general.  You would think that because an SET amp has this ghost note as high as 3% vs. the high power amplifiers that measure ten to 100 times lower that this is where the "sound" comes from.

Yet, when we look at the UFO25 at 1 watt of output the distortion is around 1% or more and the Sarah 300B at the same 1 watt of output is considerably less.  Just the opposite of what you would expect based on that theory.

I think the subjective comparisons to video are at least several times more telling about the sound than the THD specification.  If everyone could read the harmonics on a distortion analyzer with real meaning, like Nelson Pass as one example, then the distortion graph could begin to tell a meaningful story.

Even though I understand what I'm doing I still marvel at why and how things can sound so different.  If I didn't we would only have one amplifier.

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #748 - 01/03/23 at 20:59:20

Quote:
Over the years and especially with the UFO25 I have come to understand the Zen Triode is the amp you actually can't hear.  That's it's magic.  I got the Sarah as close to that as the 300B wanted to get without loosing its sonic potential.

That is exactly what I was trying to comment on.  The fact that I can't hear my UFO25 anymore.  As I've changed my front end to be of similar character, cables and filter that remove EMI, RFI or any other form of contamination the less I hear the UFO25 and the more I hear of the music, the instruments and voices both individually and in harmony with each other.  Often to a mind bending degree so that I don't even think about it.

Yesterday a couple of friends came over and we listened for three hours.  He wanted to hear what streaming was all about.  We listened to streamed music and to cd's.  The ONLY comments that his wife made repeatedly was WOW!.  Wow to the voices, wow as various instruments were highlighted and wow to what the musicians were doing.  The only reference to any component was when my friends wife said "this is all coming from small speakers - WOW!  The speakers are not that small but the point is that she was commenting on what she was hearing.  Her husband turned to her and said, "dear, this is what you would hear if you were in the studio".  Well, that was his impression.

No comments about the amp, questions about power, or any other component because their attention was solely on what was being presented.  They didn't hear the UFO25.

But this is not "warm" sound.  It's also not cold by any stretch of the imagination.  It's fluid, liquid, rich as is the instrument(s) or voice.  It's a pass through of those.

I'm not trying to say that the UFO25 is better than the Sarah.  In fact I think that to get the UFO25 to do what it is capable of will be more demanding, - my guess only.  My UFO25 was one of the first.  It took this long for me to get it to really disappear to really not hear what it is capable of.

For that reason the Sarah may actually be a better choice for some.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #749 - 01/04/23 at 19:58:47

Glen's 300B amp is now in "Parts Pulled" status!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Send Topic Print