Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/01/24 at 12:11:09 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 145177 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #600 - 11/13/22 at 21:43:22

PaulInWA60 wrote on 11/13/22 at 21:06:10:
I have EML XLS 300B tubes which are better than my TJ Full Music 300B Mesh but not as good as the Kron KR Balloon 300Bs or the Western Electric 300Bs.  The EML are very dynamic with good separation, bass and treble.  The KR tubes are all of that plus a remarkable holographic soundstage.  The Western Electric are a little less dynamic but they have great tonality and timbre and with my Aric Audio Super 300B amp the best bass.  The Western Electrics are also very smooth and grain free. Unless you find a deal on the EML or KR tubes I think it makes sense to spend a bit more to get the Western Electric.  The five year warranty is worth the difference.

Thank you Paul.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #601 - 11/15/22 at 02:49:11

UPDATE 11/14/22

While trying to decide how we're going to handle the silk screen issue, I couldn't wait any more...

So I have built the actual production bench sample.  The production sample is the unit that will be copied when we start building them.  So a lot of pressure to get the layout as sane as it can be.

First, here is the prototype that we've all been listening to all summer and at DECFEST2022...

click to enlarge

Remember this unit has been drastically modified at least 6 times.  And the voltage regulator tubes are on the inside, hardwired to the circuit.

Some of the changes I made include moving the power switch to the back, moving the voltage regulator tubes to the outside, and the voicing switches to the front.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #602 - 11/15/22 at 03:04:41

click to enlarge

I also added a delay on circuit that wasn't in the prototype.  Since the 300B are directly heated, they conduct current almost instantly. Meanwhile the rest of the tubes are slowly coming to life and making little pops and crackles as they warm up. First I fixed this by simply using a 5AR4 rectifier, but as luck would have it, the one I choose had a slower start up time than most so it worked perfectly and none of the rest did. So then I just hand picked tubes that were quiet during start up. However when it came time to tube roll this idea went out the window too.

There will also be custom Decware meters for this amplifier. The ones that are in the sample here are just place holders. And the silkscreen is on the inside because it was off center. Turns out it makes it easier for the techs to have it labeled where they can read it : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #603 - 11/15/22 at 03:09:15

click to enlarge

Using inexpensive 300B tubes for initial testing ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #604 - 11/15/22 at 03:09:33

click to enlarge

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #605 - 11/15/22 at 03:23:08

Beautiful

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #606 - 11/15/22 at 12:48:52

Very nice Steve. I like the move with the VR tubes. Also moving the "favoring" circuits closer to the input tube is better IMO. Plus it looks like the heater is delayed to the input tube? Another good move in spite of the necessity.

I am so tempted to give Sarah a call and order one up but 3 years is much, I mean much to long of a time giving me a chance to change my mind. Never know what the future will bring! It would be like throwing my arms up in despair of my journey in audio reproduction.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #607 - 11/15/22 at 15:09:38

Any chance of a “real flame” look for the Sarah in a couple of years?
Earlier in this thread I saw that a 5670 tube was used (I think), was a WE396a tried?
 Thanks, your buddy dawg, Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #608 - 11/15/22 at 16:46:13

Steve, will there be an option for balanced XLR inputs on Sarah if one is running a fully balanced DAC? I think you have previously mentioned that Sarah can impress without a pre involved in the chain, which we saw in action at Decfest. Therefore, I’ve been contemplating getting rid of my preamp when (hopefully) Sarah ships next year. Just upgraded to the Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, which is a brand that you are intimately familiar with and was thinking whether there is any sonic merit to using XLR vs RCA out going into Sarah?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #609 - 11/15/22 at 18:52:49

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 16:46:13
Steve, will there be an option for balanced XLR inputs on Sarah if one is running a fully balanced DAC?

JMO but I think you are better off with a ZBIT than balanced inputs on your amp. It is very close pricewise and gives you the flexibility of putting it anywhere in the signal chain, should you decide to get e.g. a CSP3 type preamp in the future. Also, the ZBIT has gain control while I don't think the input on the amp does.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #610 - 11/15/22 at 19:06:36

Quote:
Steve, will there be an option for balanced XLR inputs on Sarah if one is running a fully balanced DAC? I think you have previously mentioned that Sarah can impress without a pre involved in the chain, which we saw in action at Decfest. Therefore, I’ve been contemplating getting rid of my preamp when (hopefully) Sarah ships next year. Just upgraded to the Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, which is a brand that you are intimately familiar with and was thinking whether there is any sonic merit to using XLR vs RCA out going into Sarah?

The ZBIT is the option for using balanced XLR with Sarah.

The Holo Audio products seem to have equally good output from either the XLR to the RCA.  Even the CXNv2 that I used at the fest didn't suck.  It was using RCA directly into Sarah.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #611 - 11/15/22 at 19:12:57

Hi BlackBess,

We won't be offering it that way, with the custom paint, however at some point in the future we might do one and auction it off.  I have Denis, my senior tech who retired earlier this year who is interested in building these fancy paint job amps at home in his spare time.  We've already done two so far.  I plan to keep that gig going as long as he wants to stay busy.  So some day you may see one.  Make sure you are on our customer appreciation list.  You can find it on the contacts page:  https://www.decwareproducts.com

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #612 - 11/16/22 at 01:17:50

Thanks Steve and CAJames for your input. Something to consider.  I’m also trying to simplify the signal path and was thinking of adding the ZROCK2 in the future.  Adding the ZBIT now ads one more item in the chain (and more cables).  Wondering how many ppl use both the ZBIT and ZROCK in the chain….

As per Holo’s description— The output voltage is 2.9 Vrms for single ended output and 5.8 Vrms for balanced output—so that’s why I was wondering if I was leaving anything on the table by going single ended.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #613 - 11/16/22 at 01:37:50

I have both zbit and zrock with se84ufo2 and using the Pontus2. I long for nothing more and nothing less, it's perfect!

I think the zrock likes 4 volts or less input.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #614 - 11/16/22 at 01:47:17

Looking awesome, Steve. Will the screening be white or black? I can't wait to receive this beast.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #615 - 11/16/22 at 02:13:10

UPDATE - FATHER MURPHY

Murphy's Laws were drafted after Murphy died.  It's a list.  There are several versions of it on the Internet.  The one I grew up with said for example; Rule # 7 - Any tool dropped while working on a car in your garage will automatically roll to the exact dead center of the vehicle so as to become out of reach from all four sides.

The set up - it takes one.  It's what pages Father Murphy who is now an evil spirit who especially likes to mess with audiophiles.  So the set up is this...

I made an assembly video of the amplifier being built for the newer techs on our team.  This of course means I have to make it without mistakes... this was the first ring.  Naturally long before it was even finished, a mistake was made and filmed.  I put in a 47K resistor where a 100K resistor goes.  I decided to leave it in the video as a teaching tool.  At the same time I bragged in the video about how I measure everything as I go, so I found it right away.  This was the second ring.  Then I realized if they watch the video without listening to my important commentary they would build the amp with the wrong resistor at which point I would know they didn't listen to the video.  This is playing chess with Father Murphy.  Score Father Murphy zero, Steve one.  This was the third ring.

Not to foreshadow or anything but never play chess with evil spirits.

When firing up the amp for the first time, I checked all the voltages and they were perfect.  I smiled.  This was ring number four, and Father Murphy one, Steve one or so I was about to find out.

I put the amplifier on the scope and couldn't get any kind of substantial output from it.  Like a half a watt, yet everything was working perfect. This is how I know the ringing had been answered.  He's awake, he's here now, and this is where the punishment starts.

I noticed that I forgot to connect the input jacks to ground.  That was of course because I had already posted a picture in the forum before the amp actually worked.  Father Murphy two, Steve one.

I fixed the jack and took new pictures so I can fix the video, and it makes perfect sense why I couldn't get a signal out of it since there wasn't really a signal going into it.

Lesson one, Murphy NEVER works in single shots. If he has to show up to your gig, you can bet it's going to be worth his time as pure entertainment.  I imagine it is the same satisfying feeling that I used to get when I was five and used to tease my younger brother about pooping his pants.  It was so much fun.

I hook everything back up and virtually nothing has changed.  This seemed impossible by I remember he works in threes, so I just started looking for problems.  Damn, this means real troubleshooting.  I quickly discover that the signal going through the stages is but a fraction of what is should be and find out it's a partial short to ground at the input of the amplifier, which is in mono due to the scope and signal generator being hooked up to both channels, so the problem was on both sides.  This whole thing was impossible.  Literally I had to start taking things apart... could it be a bad input switch, or cable, or something I can't see in one of the jacks?

After taking everything apart I determined it was actually the cable, the brand new perfectly installed cable had an 80 ohm short.   I completely removed it and measured it again, and it was fine.  Murphy three, Steve one.

I re-installed it to see if I was loosing my mind and measured it again.  80 ohms to ground.  I should have known, Cables is one of Muphy's favorite tools of torment.  When a cable starts to go bad it either opens or shorts, and does it intermittently.  Since the cable is flexible, it depends on how it is bent as to if it will work right or not.  Murphy four, Steve one.

The cable was something different I found laying on my bench.  It looks like the excellent cable we normally use on the outside, but has only one conductor and is built more like a coax.  I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work as well or better so I used it.

Now with the one bad cable removed there was only the other side to investigate and it had a similar issue of about 150 ohms to ground.  I removed it and replaced it with our regular cable to match the first side. Murphy five, Steve one.

The odds of two cables doing this just from being soldered into place (by someone who can solder) is pretty high. Murphy six, Steve one.

And for the check mate, I wired the 12AU7 as a 6922 so that only half of the heater worked.  So that's on the video too.  Murphy seven, Steve one.

This is another excellent testimony of why big manufactures use circuit boards with cable connectors.  Make it so a monkey can't screw it up and they'll all probably work the first time.

Anyway, I wrote this true story to make myself look bad so he would leave.  That's how it works.   Now it is time to test the amp and see if it works.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #616 - 11/16/22 at 02:46:00

UPDATE PART 2

Well it turns out this spiritual encounter was nested.  As usual I was just a pawn in a greater game ; ). The bench sample puts out 7 watts.  I measured it the same as before, by how far it can go until it reaches 3% distortion.

click to enlarge

The Audio Gods had a vested interest in this and decided to have the last word by doing something that appears to be equally impossible.  Probably laughed at Murphy and said: "You dumbass, all you can do is make shit break and make people miserable.  Let's see you do this" : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #617 - 11/16/22 at 02:55:11

Not that I really care all that much if it's 4 watts or 7 watts, what gets me excited is what's happening at 1 watt, which is where we all listen.

Check this out...  at one watt the distortion is 0.3%

That's the calling card of the Audio Gods...

So why the discrepancy between two supposedly identical amps?  Well, I may have used my General Instruments 1840-A to measure it the first time, which is an inductive load using transformers... but it's not a 3 watt difference, so there is some magic to figure out.

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #618 - 11/16/22 at 03:22:32

Murphy is an optimist.

James' corollary to Murphy's law.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #619 - 11/16/22 at 04:01:49

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #620 - 11/16/22 at 04:03:06

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #621 - 11/16/22 at 04:05:07

click to enlarge

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #622 - 11/16/22 at 10:30:11

Quote:
Murphy is an optimist.

Keeping our ego in check Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #623 - 11/16/22 at 13:37:15

Looks as if you may be using 75C1 tubes there (an 0A2 variant)? Those are cool sounding tubes--Will and I have used them, I'm using a pair in my Monoblocks currently.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #624 - 11/21/22 at 04:58:23

Yes, I plan to ship the amp with 75C1 tubes which are equal to the OC2 tubes.  These are both 75V tubes, which in the way that I use them, means a voltage drop of 75 volts.  The internal tubes in the prototype amp are SG5B that have a drop of around 150 volts.  

This means that this new bench sample using the 75C1 tubes has 65 more volts on both the driver and input stage.  This is what made the power go up on the amplifier from 4 to 7 watts.

As well, the sound of the amp changed and became more neutral, cleaner.  Another step closer to the UFO25 sound.  Using an OD3A tube would put the signature back to where it is in the prototype with the internal SG5B tubes.  Like the UFO25, rolling these regulator tubes is going to be a powerful voicing tool.  It would be possible to use 75 volt VR tubes in combination with 150 volt VR tubes.  For example, using one on the driver tubes and a different type on the input tube.

So I am just enjoying the sound of it.  Tonight I am running a Linali 274B rectifier and Cryotone 12AU7 long plate input tube.

On a side note, I still can't find anything better sounding to my ears than the Cryotone input tube, and I have found this to be happening on all the Decware amps.  Once I roll a Cryotone into the input position, it ends up staying there because I can't find anything to beat it.  The input tube on basically all tube gear, has the most gain so it also often has the most effect on the sound of the amplifier or preamp.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #625 - 11/21/22 at 05:05:12

This is the Sarah 300B Logo.  It will live on the power transformer so it can be seen from a distance.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #626 - 11/21/22 at 05:05:28

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #627 - 11/21/22 at 05:07:12

Fantastic touch, this!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #628 - 11/21/22 at 05:07:21

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #629 - 11/21/22 at 05:27:55

Steve,

Can you remind me— What was the total harmonic distortion at 1 watt in the prototype at Decfest? Trying to compare and understand the difference with the new and successful tweaking of late.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #630 - 11/21/22 at 05:32:53

UPDATE 11/20/2022

I have abandoned the time delay relay on the high voltage idea because I can't snub out all of the contact arc that creates a pop through the loudspeakers when the relay closes.  Actually, I can but it's not the simple capacitor/resistor/diode trick and ends up getting complicated, many additional parts, and tedious and expensive.

The only reason for this was to mute the tiny clicks and pops of some 6N6P tubes and others as they warm up and start to work.  Putting relay contacts on the high voltage even if it was simple and worked perfectly still gives me worries. The relay contacts or relay itself will eventually fail and before it does it will be compromised further degrading the sound.  Even brand new I didn't care for what it did to the sound.  That is like the most critical part of the amplifier circuit and even running too long of a wire can ruin or at least diminish the sound quality, so you can see why contacts of a relay are a gamble.

I have finally figured out a way to deal with this harmless issue of clicks and pops with certain tubes during warmup -- without putting anything into the signal path.  I consider the B+ a crucial part of the signal path.  So I realized if I short the speaker jacks for 10 seconds during startup there is nothing in the signal path, the amp is well protected, and objective is realized.  So there will be two relays, one for each channel that simply keep the output jacks shorted when the amplifier is off.  Without high voltage on the contacts there is little reason to fail, and if one or both did fail, the amplifier would continue to function perfectly to the point that unless you have tubes that are noisy on warm up, you would never even know.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #631 - 11/21/22 at 05:51:47

Quote:
Steve,

Can you remind me— What was the total harmonic distortion at 1 watt in the prototype at Decfest? Trying to compare and understand the difference with the new and successful tweaking of late.

I measured it originally into an 8 ohm inductive load and at 1 watt it was closer to 1%.  This recent measurement I did of the newer amp is into the standard 8 ohm resistive load.  I measured the original amp dozens of times into the resistive load as well, just don't remember the exact numbers.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #632 - 11/21/22 at 11:08:16

The reliability of Sarah is being trusted to a cheap timing circuit of a NC relay? I hope this does not backfire on Decware. I've have found timing relays not work because associated timing circuits failing, broken contact supports, and opened coils. Also, some failed with stuck contacts.

My observations.

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #633 - 11/21/22 at 11:47:39

Steve Deckert wrote on 11/21/22 at 04:58:23:

Yes, I plan to ship the amp with 75C1 tubes which are equal to the OC3 tubes.  These are both 75V tubes, which in the way that I use them, means a voltage drop of 75 volts.  The internal tubes in the prototype amp are SG5B that have a drop of around 150 volts.  

Thanks--those are nice tubes, I use them now as replacement for 0C2 tubes in my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks (under the chassis). Does this mean these could be rolled with 0A2 and 0B2 tubes?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #634 - 11/21/22 at 15:05:17

I was unfamiliar with the 75C1 tube until mentioned by Steve.  A quick search revealed its scarcity, at least in the US markets.  Does anyone have a source for this tube?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #635 - 11/21/22 at 15:13:12

Over the years I have purchased three pairs from eBay.

It's an interesting tube. Some years back when I was using a Torii a mention of the tube by Will led me to experiment with it. My take is that it has a tiny bit darker sound than the other 0C2 types I had used, yet quite a transparent, lively sounding tube.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #636 - 11/21/22 at 16:45:27

Quote:
The reliability of Sarah is being trusted to a cheap timing circuit of a NC relay? I hope this does not backfire on Decware. I've have found timing relays not work because associated timing circuits failing, broken contact supports, and opened coils. Also, some failed with stuck contacts.

I think you need to re-read my post #630. : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #637 - 11/21/22 at 17:29:53

Hey Lon, I found a US source with eBay - thanks.  Then, of all places, I found it on the Decware website as well.  One of those "right under your nose" things.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #638 - 11/21/22 at 19:21:20

Well. . . what a ya know! Wink I just saw them there myself.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #639 - 11/22/22 at 05:15:00

Thanks Steve for the THD stats. It appears (to state the obvious) that Sarah is now both objectively and subjectively better compared to the close to final prototype we heard at Decfest last month. Exciting!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #640 - 11/22/22 at 07:19:36

Hey Steve, I did take another pass at #630. I got what your saying about reliability issues related to different electrical strain on the contacts. Also, was not aware of delayed B+ voltaged as a fix to eliminate tiny crackles at start up of Sarah. Good move away from that circuit!

A little background from my point of view might clarify the point of response I made.

This year the motorhome needed a transfer switch replaced. The one it replaced was over 20 years old. There is a timing relay in these devices so when generator power is initiated the transfer switch holds the generators feed 7 seconds for motor stability before applying a load. That part of the failed switch still worked flawlessly. The transfer relay it what failed. The coil of that relay to be more precise opened up.

I replaced the transfer switch. 2 weeks later the new switch failed. It was replaced. One week later it failed! Why? The timing circuit failed twice in short order. When questioned it seemed that the supplier was a bit frustrated with this particular brand of switch. Long story short, instead of going though the hassle of replacing the entire transfer switch again, I just rewired the old timing board from the failed switch into the new. Still working after 6 months.

So my point is bad batches of timing switchs are possible and therefore my response.

I say let Sarah crackle like a cozy fire as a signature. Supply an external device to short the speakers at start up for those who may get bitchy about it. Or, just a simple switch that can be used as an owner option. IMO of course.

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #641 - 11/22/22 at 17:16:03

Over on the Hoffman forum Decware is getting insulted and practically laughed at on a thread about the 300B amp. I have been trying to defend and fend off with little success. Sigh. I just feel sorry for those who close their mind to the possibilities of sound we can enjoy because of Steve's vision and hard work.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #642 - 11/22/22 at 17:24:30

A lot of the people on that forum are a bunch of bitter bettys.  Not as bad as the ASR forums though.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #643 - 11/22/22 at 17:32:56

Agreed. I just hate to see the ignorance and viciousness and lies.

But in this here and now I should expect it.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #644 - 11/22/22 at 17:45:12

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 17:32:56

Agreed. I just hate to see the ignorance and viciousness and lies.

Is this your first day on the internet ?

I mean sure, but they are only hurting themselves and realistically the waiting list doesn't need any more help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #645 - 11/22/22 at 18:00:37

No it's not my first day. I was neither surprised nor naive. I just hate them calling Steve an amateur with sloppy workmanship and some sort of evil money-grubber for charging a deposit on a long wait list.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #646 - 11/22/22 at 20:22:42

CAJames says" Is this your first day on the internet ?"

ongoing online keyboard bickering is like arguing with a crazy person at a bus stop ( my fave brand is better than your fave brand stuff)

all that time people could be spending time listening to music on whatever their preferred choice of gear is . life is short .

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #647 - 11/23/22 at 11:07:38

Lon,

Some of those people were on this forum and polluted the earlier pages of this thread and others. I am very glad they are no longer on this forum...I have no time in my life for ridiculous nonsense like that, and certainly won't be spending any of it on that other forum.

Michael

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #648 - 11/23/22 at 11:27:12

It is nonsense. My biggest involvement on that forum is on a thread I created for discussing jazz. . . but when Decware is mentioned I check in and I have been doing what I can to at least correct misinformation. Which just stirs things up but at least injects some reality.

We know how good we have it and how talented and searching Steve is with his designs and layouts and builds. It certainly is not common knowledge.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #649 - 11/23/22 at 13:56:43

That's kind of like my exposure to the Hoffman site these days.
I check out jazz news, any Beatles remaster news, contact with a couple of (additionally, fed up) old timers, but very rarely do I even glance at equipment BS those folks post about. Most of that is either nonsense, hearsay or flat out BS from people who have no clue as to what they are talking about.

That place has lost my interest as well.

Popped in here for a few minutes yesterday and THIS place was a little pissy.
Puts me off. And, I'm not weak or milquetoasty!

Even though I have been around this site for about eighteen years, I still think of these as some of my early days.
I am just getting to the point, with my new situation this year, where I can enjoy and appreciate more of what is here for all.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24
Send Topic Print