Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 00:05:28 

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 140163 times)
MontanaDude
Verified Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #750 - 01/04/23 at 20:50:23

The "espresso v. Americano" analogy is great, I immediately get it. Looking forward to seeing how the Sarah plays in the real world before my order comes up. Could go either way of this but can't imagine I'll be unhappy either way.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #751 - 01/05/23 at 02:58:33

Lon, thanks for the update—that’s exciting news!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #752 - 01/05/23 at 17:58:51

Wathen offers cryogenic treatment for Decware products including the Sarah. When my amp is ready for shipment I’m hoping to have it sent to Don for cryotherapy. Cheesy If anyone else is planning on this I would be curious of the results. It seems as if it will be long wait, maybe I’ll have a Herman to introduce to Sarah by then. His T-casters look interesting as well.

Every now & then I know it’s kind of hard to tell, but I’m still alive & well,
Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #753 - 01/05/23 at 18:03:59

I got an email about this as well. I'm not planning on sending any of my amps. I've had a fifty-fifty experience with their tubes at best, and I can decide to not use the tubes or find a place in one of the systems where they work best. I can't not use or return the amp if I don't like the results!

I applaud the bravery and faith of others. Wink

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #754 - 01/05/23 at 20:44:36

Can't wait to get my 300. I ordered many components in March. Was on page 64 then, and am on 34 now. Assuming this rate maintains, I'll have my hardware sometime this autumn.

IP Logged
DLM
Verified Member

Reply #755 - 01/05/23 at 21:24:11

I'm also on the waitlist for the 300B, is there a rule of thumb thought on which rectifier to choose....   maybe to better pair with your speakers ?

RECTIFICATION: 274B or 5U4 or 5AR4

I have Klipsch Cornwall IV's, would one suit the Klipsch better than the others ?

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #756 - 01/05/23 at 21:28:56

Nice! I'm also saving for Cornwalls!

IP Logged
Sarah Richardson
Verified Member

The Decware Glue

Reply #757 - 01/05/23 at 23:20:19

If you pre-ordered a 300B or switched your order before it was on the website, please shoot me an email with the options you'd like so I can update your invoice. I sent a mass email a couple of days ago but I'm not sure everyone received it. As I'm updating orders, you'll see the model change from 300B on the wait list to SEWE300B.

Thanks! : )

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #758 - 01/05/23 at 23:41:35

BlackBess,

I had my CSP3-A processed and yes it made a difference.  Simply put it disappeared.  Would I do it again???  Next month my UF025 goes in for processing.

I have had extensive experience with CryoTone and found that the ultimate results are when a full set of tubes are used.  One ore two will only give you an idea of what these can do. Sometimes the other tubes can get in the way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #759 - 01/06/23 at 01:17:53

That may be so about all of them making the real impact. But at their cost if you buy one or two and aren't satisfied it's not inspiring one to fully equip an amp, or have an amp submerged itself! That's where I am and will likely remain.

I hope that the first SEWE300B owners are ones who will be on the forum and post their impressions of his amp when they have them operating!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #760 - 01/06/23 at 01:47:29

I love the look of giant tubes. Is the 274b the largest, lightbulbesque tube I've seen on the Sarah? Additionally, is that the one that would utilize the full 7 watts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #761 - 01/06/23 at 02:17:12

Yes, some of the photos feature a Psvane 274B. I believe that this, like the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B, is electrically similar to a 5U4 type, and not like the classic 274B that was used in the 91 Amp and others in the early years of audio. I would be interested to know if that older electrical version of the 274B can be used in the SEWE300B--I suspect it would be rather short lived.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #762 - 01/06/23 at 03:10:17

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 02:17:12

...I would be interested to know if that older electrical version of the 274B can be used in the SEWE300B--I suspect it would be rather short lived.

I remember a post by Steve, although I was unable to find it just now, where he said the 300B uses a filter choke that reduces the maximum capacitor requirement of the rectifier to 4 uF, so you can indeed use that WE 274B you have lying around. The big requirement is the rectifier is rated for at least 200 mA DC current.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #763 - 01/06/23 at 03:26:55

Quote:
That may be so about all of them making the real impact. But at their cost if you buy one or two and aren't satisfied it's not inspiring one to fully equip an amp, or have an amp submerged itself!

Hey Lon!

Yes, I know where you're at.  I won't hi jack this thread as I plan to do a comprehensive review of what I've been doing of late including my experience with CryoTone Tubes, might be of some benefit.  I'm on a mission and I doubt that it'll be completed till March at which time I'll post.  Just got the Puritan PSM 156.  Power cables are next... going shielded cables as well.

As a suggestion, If you don't like the results send the tubes back in a reasonable time frame...  0 risk.  Might be a pain but well worth it.  At times I find this hobby to be a pain.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #764 - 01/06/23 at 04:19:35

With how long the wait is to get a Sarah & being intrigued by the cryogenic process, I’ve been wondering about Wathen’s Herman. A push-pull el84 all cryo-amp. Plus I always wanted to try one of those old Mapleshade modded Scott amps. Maybe a similar-esh experience. But the more I think, I try to remember, if you don’t think too good, don’t think too much.

I’m hoping to post thoughts on the Wathen 300B cryotone tubes soon.
BTW, old Bess has had cryogenic therapy.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #765 - 01/06/23 at 05:08:13

Lon, I’ve made a mental note to list my Had amp for sale when your 300b shows ‘parts pulled’.  I think you and I are #10 and #12 respectively if you sort the list for Sarah.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #766 - 01/06/23 at 16:36:06

Kamran, a lot of people are changing amps to the 300B I think. At one point I was #5 in the queue, now I'm #10. And the one that was in "Parts Pulled" status now is on the bench. Which I find exciting!

As of this morning 73 SEWE300B are on the list! It's already a "success" and no customer has one yet! Wow.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #767 - 01/06/23 at 17:45:05

I am not an academic or a marketing professional, but the Decware story, in general, and more specifically, the SEWE300B release, would make for a great business case study.  Has anyone within the Decware community with the appropriate background ever thought of writing about this company?  Maybe it's already been done, and if so, I think it would make for a great read.

Congrats to Steve & Co. for what they have done.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #768 - 01/07/23 at 01:46:44

Will there still be an option to have the top plate oriented in a fashion, which displays the screen printing? I know Steve was having some problems with his screen printer, hope they got that sorted out. I much prefer the screen printed option. Looks awesome.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #769 - 01/07/23 at 17:03:31

And I just read in the manual for this amp that you can't use mesh 274B. . . .

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #770 - 01/07/23 at 17:49:19

I just read in the manual for this amp that you can't use mesh 274B..

How does one differentiate between a "mesh" and not "mesh" 274B?  Is it part of the description?  

I searched eBay, and found a few offered but did not see a "mesh" reference.  

Thanks, Lon

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #771 - 01/07/23 at 18:44:04

I'm familiar with the EML Mesh Plate 274[A|B] rectifiers, there may be others from China. The key spec for a rectifier for Sarah (mesh or not) is it needs to deliver 200 mA DC current.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #772 - 01/07/23 at 19:29:17

Sadly I'm not possessing a great deal of knowledge about these rectifiers. The "mesh plate" is actually a description of the "plates" within the tube. Generally these are "solid" but several manufacturers make "mesh" plates, and they seem to have differing needs for resistors associated with them. The "mesh" seem to be most often used with 45 amps, and there are "mesh" versions of the 45 output tube.  The "mesh" will be short-lived if operated within other Decware amps, and in the manual for the SEWE300B Steve notes they are not designed for use.

A "mesh plate" 274B:

A "solid plate" 274B:

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #773 - 01/07/23 at 21:24:33

That mesh plate looks like the cutting side of an electric shaver.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #774 - 01/07/23 at 21:29:16

I guess so. I use the rotary head type myself when I don't use a wet blade. Wink

They do light up and look bright in use!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #775 - 01/08/23 at 00:04:32

The silk screen will not be offered because the screeners botched the job twice and we ran out of time.   Honestly, the cleaner look without it is pretty appealing too so it's not the end of the world.

(click to enlarge)

My solution to this problem was to change the power transformer to this:

(click to enlarge)

This is the new bench sample that I'm building.  I made some small changes at the last minute.  Marking the transformer, recessing the meters, and there will be some internal updates to the layout.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #776 - 01/08/23 at 00:10:00

Nice! I like the labeled transformer cover better than a silk-screened chassis.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #777 - 01/08/23 at 00:20:06

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  If 51% like it better it would be a winner.  It didn't come cheep.  It is laser engraved into the core and the core has to be prepared by being sanded flat until it is smooth and then brushed to create the illusion of laminations and then painted, lasered and top coated.

But, it is everything you need to know, where you can easily see it and I haven't seen any other amplifiers marked this way.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #778 - 01/08/23 at 00:32:23

Since I have to build another one I've decided to take you through this process as I go... as a nice way to complete this development thread.

So the first thing is to prep the steel plate by sanding off the powder coat in key locations so that the volume pots and input switches stay shielded and the power transformer is grounded to the plate.

These plates are 1/8th inch thick.  They are made in Addison Illinois.  The screeners are also from Addison but are a different company.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #779 - 01/08/23 at 00:35:29

The next step is to use RTV Silicon on the bottom of the power transformer so that it becomes glued to the steel plate. The mounting tabs alone won't hold it during shipping accidents.

Yes, I practiced on the bottom with the laser.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #780 - 01/08/23 at 00:37:32

Making sure to mount it the correct way.  Nothing like finishing the amp and removing the tape to find you installed it upsidedown.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #781 - 01/08/23 at 00:46:33

Bolts have to be long enough to carry additional hardware.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #782 - 01/08/23 at 00:51:18

Installing sockets.  These are the best available in this form factor.  I've tested them all.  There are many sockets that look like this from a distance but the inside of these sockets have dynamic springs surrounding the tube pin for the highest contact area of any socket design.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #783 - 01/08/23 at 00:52:26

Installing the 7 pin voltage regulator sockets and the voicing switches.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #784 - 01/08/23 at 00:55:57

I decided to flush mount the meters because on this amp, it makes it look more expensive.  Eventually these meters will be replaced by color coded DECWARE meters, but they are still months out so the first amps will be easily identified as being the ones with the white meters.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #785 - 01/08/23 at 00:58:55

Installing the boards on the sockets so that the the round pin holders can't spin.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #786 - 01/08/23 at 01:01:04

Adding the rest of the hardware.  Machined gold RCA jacks, and Red Copper binding posts.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #787 - 01/08/23 at 01:05:58

Adding the IEC module.  This is a medical grade noise and spike filter featuring a dual fused design that protects both the Line and the Neutral.  It is in a mu metal case so that there is no RF coming out of it.  The power switch is also in this module and is lit a dull red when on.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #788 - 01/08/23 at 01:12:19

Wiring the transformer wires to get them out of the way.  On the 300B socket the heater wires are soldered directly to the pins so there is no current going through the board.  Besides the current of the heater the heater is is also the cathode that draws additional current. The board is just there to keep the pin holders from moving.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #789 - 01/08/23 at 01:24:28

Mounting the output transformers so we'll know where to construct the audio ground buss.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #790 - 01/08/23 at 01:27:10

The audio ground buss I have found to be one of the most crucial parts of the amplifier as it effects the sound, performance and noise. We use bare copper suspended in air.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #791 - 01/08/23 at 01:33:19

The point where you connect the center taps of the power transformer are what determine the center point of the ground.  Think of this center point like either a faucet or a drain for the entire audio circuit.  That is why it is connected in the center of the copper buss.  This also keeps both of the tap wires the same length despite coming out of both sides of the transformer.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #792 - 01/08/23 at 01:39:48

With the audio ground buss established, it is time to bridge the audio ground to earth/chassis ground through a resistor and capacitor.  This holds the audio ground signal a few ohms above ground so that it becomes nearly impossible to have ground-loop hum.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #793 - 01/08/23 at 01:42:37

And this is what it looks like with all the power transformer wires done.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #794 - 01/08/23 at 01:44:29

Steve Deckert wrote on 01/08/23 at 00:20:06:

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  If 51% like it better it would be a winner.  It didn't come cheep.  It is laser engraved into the core and the core has to be prepared by being sanded flat until it is smooth and then brushed to create the illusion of laminations and then painted, lasered and top coated.

But, it is everything you need to know, where you can easily see it and I haven't seen any other amplifiers marked this way.

It's a unique and classy touch, fitting for this amp. Thanks for showing this assembly step by step.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #795 - 01/08/23 at 01:48:26

And to complete this stage of the build, the 6.3V heater wires for the rest of the tubes.  You'll notice throughout this build that we don't use solid core hookup wire.  We have different stranded wires for each part of the amplifier.  We do this so that vibration during shipping doesn't fatigue the wire or solder connections.  Instead the wire absorbs energy by being soft and flexible.

And while it looks like a lot of stuff, this is just the power supply and it's not even finished.  The actual audio circuit is really just a hand full of parts sprinkled into this root system ; )

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #796 - 01/08/23 at 01:50:17

A.  
Love seeing this process and love the transformer laser etching, but man, you're breaking my beard showcasing that silk-screened top plate. I love that look, it looks so sharp!

The flush-mount meters were a great call also.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #797 - 01/08/23 at 02:08:44

Yea I hear ya.  This particular plate was only 1/16th off center, but most are 1/8th or more.  But now with the transformer laser work it would be redundant to have screening, which is to say had the silk screened model worked out it would not have had the laser work on the top and the transformers would not be finished to this high level.  It almost doubles the cost of the transformer, but it's a much cleaner look and makes the amp look more expensive.

Did that help?

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #798 - 01/08/23 at 02:20:27

Yeah, man, I get it. Sometimes a thing just wants to be what it wants to be. The Decware 300 wanted to be something different, and alas, it is. I respect it for what it is.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #799 - 01/08/23 at 02:32:34

Agreed, it has been my experience over the years that you can't tell Sarah what to do ; )

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Send Topic Print