Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/01/24 at 01:20:12 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 144906 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #550 - 10/07/22 at 14:49:05

46 Sarah 300B's on the wait list que. How many more after this weekends Decfest? Hopefully pricing and options will be revealed next month.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #551 - 10/07/22 at 18:13:25

Please put me on the list for 2  being hopefully in the first 50 300B or Sarah amps  :D
Sent email and called but cannot get reply due to Decfest

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #552 - 10/07/22 at 18:25:43

Quote:
Posted by: Eightweight      Posted on: Today at 18:13:25
Please put me on the list for 2  being hopefully in the first 50 300B or Sarah amps  :D
Sent email and called but cannot get reply due to Decfest

You can order two of any amp to get a place on the list. Then you can call Sarah and change your order to two Sarahs when things settle down.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Eightweight
Verified Member

Reply #553 - 10/07/22 at 18:35:42

Thanks so much for that I already have 2 UFO2’s on order since last December so will call and change them to possibly 2 Sarah’s or 1 Sarah 1 anniversary

I appreciate the post and information

IP Logged
DLM
Verified Member

Reply #554 - 10/08/22 at 16:57:45

Would love to hear thoughts from ZenFest attendees on the Sarah300B

IP Logged
abd1
Verified Member

Reply #555 - 10/08/22 at 17:03:28

agreed. I tuned into the live feed a few times but never saw the sarah hooked up.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #556 - 10/10/22 at 17:24:04

The live feed was recorded in its entirety and is on the live stream page available for viewing in 3 hour blocks.

I am pleased to say that around 50 people listened to it, and all seemed to be taken by it so this is good, a little more confirmation.  This was another hardcore test and the amp rose to the challenge.

The chassis for this amp are 2 months overdue due to supply chain issues, so we are anxious to get them and get started.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/livestream

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #557 - 10/10/22 at 17:28:44

Quote:
agreed. I tuned into the live feed a few times but never saw the sarah hooked up.

Sarah was hooked up on the West end of the room. (left side from the camera view) and was almost never unhooked. With the exception of the TORII MONOS and the ZKIT60 that were tried for an hour, Sarah was used on that end of the room for the entire event, so it is easy to revisit the live stream videos and hear it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
abd1
Verified Member

Reply #558 - 10/10/22 at 19:08:13

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the amp I saw wasn't the Sarah -- my mistake.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #559 - 10/13/22 at 22:27:24

Quote:
Interested where your “50 buck” tube slots in compared to all this high dollar talent.

Does anyone know the source/mfr of this 300B tube?

Brad

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #560 - 10/13/22 at 22:44:13

Brad,

Somewhere in China. Your going to want to buy a whole tube complement. Budget appropriately.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #561 - 10/13/22 at 22:48:39

It's a Chinese company I think named CNG. This tube as far as I can tell (when Steve first posted about it I did an internet search) is no longer made, and a pair that looked like the same was 200 a pair.

There are a lot of options, a lot of options in 300B. I think in a few years when I have mine I'll start with the WE.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #562 - 10/13/22 at 23:01:20

Thanks guys.

I’m not going to wait 3 years for the Decware version. I’m going to find another one that could replace the Line Magnetic PP in my second, casual listening system.

I am eyeing however the possibility of the T6 speaker which could replace the Nola Boxer II in the same second system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #563 - 10/13/22 at 23:13:14

I can understand that. I'm still going to wait for the Decware for two reasons: I need another amp like a hole in the head and I can comfortably wait; I think that Steve's is going to be very different from others at the price point and beyond--the fact that he has that extra gain stage and that he is only trying to get four (dense) watts out of the 300B is where I think the magic is that will be worth the wait and may supplant my Monoblocks.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #564 - 10/14/22 at 00:42:21

As a Mini Torii owner, I am curious how the extra gain stage in the Sarah differs from the MT. What Lon describes as 4 dense watts from the Sarah is how I would describe my MT. Anyone know if there has been any listening comparison between the two?

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #565 - 10/14/22 at 01:00:51

Lon, you bring up food for thought. Depending on the price if a Sarah 300B, I can certainly consider the possibility of getting on the list for one and forgetting about it while 3 years of a lesser one would be enjoyed and then sold.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #566 - 10/14/22 at 01:06:52

Dense watts. I take that to mean full volume with no distortion. Honest watts, not bullshit marketing watts where you turn the volume up 3/4 and it’s pain and misery.

Which brings up a great point about Steve’s great works. All usable, listenable watts. The 4 watts for the Sarah is head and shoulders over another 300B amp rated at 8 watts but only 3 or maybe 4 would be usable and that’s probably pushing it.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #567 - 10/14/22 at 01:20:12

Quote:
Posted by: chapsjon      Posted on: Today at 00:42:21

...As a Mini Torii owner, I am curious how the extra gain stage in the Sarah differs from the MT...

It's really all about the output tube IMO. A 300B tube needs more current so it needs two gain stages in front of it to feed the tube, at least at the operating point that Steve likes. As a practical matter it gives you more input tubes to roll, and that can either be good or bad depending on your outlook.

There are hours of Sarah playing at Decfest you can check out if you want to hear how it sounds, pretty sure no one did a H2H with a MT.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #568 - 10/14/22 at 01:39:23

Well we have different hearing. I find just under 3 watts quite manageable and don't use all the headroom, and 4 would be just fine for me. Don't need any more.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #569 - 10/14/22 at 01:53:31

Thanks for the explanation of current for output tube CAJames. I'm assuming that means that though they both have an extra gain stage, the Sarah needs more than the 1V input that the MT can come to full power with.

I have listened some to Sarah via streaming, but know it isn't a true representation of the in-person sound. Maybe as Sarah reaches production someone will make comparisons, but it seems quite natural to wonder how it compares to both the MT and the Rachael since they are all similar wattage. I was just thinking with extra gain stages, the MT and Sarah may have even more similarity than power.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #570 - 10/14/22 at 22:39:18

Meanwhile on the Hoffman forum our old member Dancing Sea and an acolyte or two are saying Decware is defrauding customers by asking for a deposit and not being upfront about a terribly long wait list, exercising "illegal" action, and saying that it's "insane" that Steve is developing a new product while he has such a long wait list.

I can see some frustration and some parts of their points but they keep pounding it over and over again. At least Dancing Sea has the sense to stay away from here now.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #571 - 10/14/22 at 23:08:42

Too bad about DS. Thought he would have new material for his online roasting.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #572 - 10/14/22 at 23:35:18

Slander. Not cool.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #573 - 10/15/22 at 01:14:20

Quote:
Posted by: tempest62      Posted on: Yesterday at 23:35:18

Slander. Not cool.

Slander is an untrue or defamatory statement spoken orally. Libel is an untrue or defamatory statement in writing. FYI.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #574 - 10/15/22 at 01:40:52

CA, indeed. Thanks for the correction.

Brad

IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #575 - 10/15/22 at 06:33:54

I can't seem to figure out how to quote a previous message but to Brad's question about the $55 300B tube I believe this is probably the one.  I ordered it and I would say it is very good for $55, probably better than a cheap Psvane, but nowhere near as good as my EML XLS or KR 300B tubes.  I am not allowed to post the link on Aliexpress but the store that has them is called Hi-end Tubeaudio Store and the tube is the Guiguang NOS 300B.  There is also a slightly more expensive version called the Guiguang NOS 4300B that I haven't tried.  

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #576 - 10/15/22 at 06:50:58

Thanks for the information, and double thanks for not posting link to Aliexpress.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #577 - 10/26/22 at 05:31:12

UPDATE OCT 25th 2022

I finally got our chassis in after being months past due and the silk screen is 1/8 inch off center and the circles and hash marks are all missing.  Not a single contact during this time to explain the delay and now the blame game between painters, screeners, and file formats.  It feels like ordering food from McDonnalds drive through where no human can be at fault for getting your order wrong or the low quality.  We have done business with this Chicago based outfit for over 20 years without any serious problems.  The past two years have been almost unbearable with delays and redues.   Sadly having them re-done is a high risk of getting more of the same and loosing even more time, so I will probably just make these in the classic Decware style of being unmarked.  The layout is intuitive and the clean look may actually look a lot better anyway.

SOUND UPDATE:  

The amp was extensively tested during the show on both days and was very well received.  Even on the small T6 bookshelf speakers the 4 watts captivated the room.  A direct comparison was done in video 2 between the TORII MONO's and the SARAH 300B.  You can find the videos here: https://www.decwareproducts.com/livestream

or here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO14X7TvgezjaUgmbHikiAZ90O_c5x8NY

These videos were made with the room mics for the live feed which have no bass response below 50Hz.  I bring that up because the little speakers have bass well below that and was discussed in the last two videos on Youtube.

So soon, I will be diving back into the amplifier to build the first production sample in the new chassis, and then begin the process of breaking it in to compare it against the original prototype.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #578 - 10/26/22 at 18:01:36

Mr. Deckert, can you tell us if there will be any options for the  Sarah ? There was talk earlier about a coupon for the WE 300B tubes, that would be great if a deal on these tubes is still available in a year or 2 when my turn comes around. In the meantime, do you feel the Cryotone tubes are what I should be running in on my current amp in anticipation to use with my future Sarah? The anticipation I am experiencing towards owning this amp is similar to being staged with the throttle matted on the 2-step waiting on the green. Any crumbs such as only one input? estimated weight or wood choices would be appreciated. As always,

Peace out, Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #579 - 10/27/22 at 03:16:44

I can't tell you for sure, but the direction it's leaning is towards the anniversary status where the amp is pimped out as much as it can be so very few options other than types of wood and knobs.

We will have a coupon from Western Electric for a discount on their WE300B tubes for the Sarah 300B amplifier as that is what we built and voiced the amplifier for.

The input tube, driver tubes, regulator tubes, and rectifier will all be premium selected and measured based on listening tests.  These will be included with the amplifier.  As well we will supply an affordable set of Chinese 300B output  tubes to get you started.  They will sound good enough to be the only tube you use, but won't last as long.  The WE300B will sound superior, as would the Cryotone 300B and both will last a lot longer.  Still I expect to get a couple years out of the stock pair which gives you time to save up for the good ones.

The amp will have two inputs and two volume controls.  It is the same size as the SE34I.6 and will be available in all the same woods.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #580 - 11/05/22 at 21:51:09

Hey, guys, just caught up on the developments after a 5 month hiatus of apathy. My dad got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (65 y/o) and died 3 weeks later. He was a pharmacist, so I've been busy helping my mom run it and figure out how to sell it. He got me into the audiophile lifestyle decades ago.

About a month before his diagnosis, I introduced him to Decware, told him all about Steve's genius, and sent him multiple 20 page threads to read. He was floored that tubes can be so expensive (WE 300B), but was super excited to learn about SETs, and couldn't wait to hear my Decware Sarah, which is on order.

It really sucks that he'll never get to spin that first record with me, alas, I'm thankful he introduced me to the concept of high fidelity audio. Anyway, it was nice to finally log back in and see what's going on around here. Sounds like the 300b is getting ready for production.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #581 - 11/05/22 at 22:09:50

My condolences, so sorry that your Dad has passed and so young. My Dad got me interested in music and good sound playback as well. There is so much to be grateful for with a good father. You're a good son helping your Mom out that way. Cherish the memories.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #582 - 11/05/22 at 22:32:45

Thank you, Lon. I thought of you because I remember you endured the loss of your father recently. It's a tough thing, and it's hard to understand until you go through it. Cancer is quite terrifying. The doctors told us that his treatment was aggressive, and that they'd buy him as much time as possible. We were thinking years, then he suddenly died at home. It was quite a blow for all of us.

I ordered all of the Acoustic Sounds Steely Dan one-step reissues in his honor, and will think of him whilst blasting them through my soon-to-be Decware system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #583 - 11/05/22 at 22:48:47

Yes, cancer is horrible. My late first wife battled non-Hodgkins lymphoma and MDA for two years and passed fifteen years ago. She had two bone marrow transplants and she was just 52 when she passed. I was certain that we would beat the disease and we lost. Then nearly eight years ago we lost my Mom who was deep in dementia and the only good thing about that was that I had the experience of losing my wife and was able to be some little help to my Dad when he lost his own.

We never know what time we have, and we need to love those we have as strongly as we can while we can.

I'm on the waiting list for a Sarah 300B but have a long wait! Still, eager to hear impressions now.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #584 - 11/05/22 at 22:49:33

Bluemage, gutted by this news.  I wish your father could have heard Sarah with you.  May he Rest In Peace.  Please accept my sincerest condolences.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #585 - 11/05/22 at 23:32:21

Man, Lon, you've had a rough go of things. So sorry to hear that.

Thank you so much, Kamran! That means a lot.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #586 - 11/05/22 at 23:43:50

Yes, I made it through a lot. I've been resilient and learned a lot and feel stronger. Life is a surprising journey and I enjoy as much of it as I can. Love and kindness are what we need to embrace and dish out.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #587 - 11/06/22 at 00:48:44

Bluemage, I want to extend my condolences as well.
There is little in life that is more impacting than losing a loved one.
Fathers especially, if you are lucky enough to have a great father as many of us seem to have been blessed in that way.

But, the suddenness! I can not imagine how tragic this is for your family.

My dad taught me to appreciate music as well and even after twenty something years now, I still think of him every day and I miss him, more at times, and I often find myself "quoting" things he taught me, best as I can.
He still lives inside me and that is as close as we can be for now.

Good luck getting things settled.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #588 - 11/06/22 at 06:01:53

Thank you, so much, Same Old. Your words truly comfort me. It's kind of nice to hear from people who've gone through the same thing and understand what it's like. Yes, the suddenness was horrifying. He completed one round of chemo with flying colors, was about to start his second, and was at home with mom. He ate some homemade soup I made him, and was walking back to bed, and just didn't quite make it. Died in my mother's arms about 5 feet from the bed. Tragic. But I know where he is now, and that brings me comfort.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #589 - 11/06/22 at 15:35:36

Bluemage,

So sorry to hear you lost your dad, deepest condolences to you and your mother. I lost my dad several years ago and mom a year later. I still think fondly of them each day and the inspiration they provided to all their children.

I hope you work through this difficult transition and find many happy memories to reflect upon over the months to come. Give mom lots of hugs!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #590 - 11/06/22 at 16:57:08

Thank you so much, Hock. Man, that 1-2 blow must have been a bear to deal with! Glad to hear that they're still alive and well in memory and heart!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #591 - 11/07/22 at 16:01:36

Wow. Over the weekend when I had a chance I rolled tubes in my system again and putting the sextet of 6N5P that Steve tested and matched for me a while back unto the ZTPRE and putting an Amperex 6922 pair in the Monoblocks and an Amperex 12AU7 I found in one of my tube boxes that I don't think I had ever used before into the ZROCK2. . .an amazing presentation arrived, giving me the sonic character I had been seeking and expected the Sarah would bring! The best sound I've ever had at home.

Maybe I don't need a Sarah--we'll see. It's still a long wait but I love these Monoblocks. And I know I will be very tempted to buy the new Mk 2 version of my PS Audio DSD DAC and it may be one or the other.

But there is still a long ways before I have to make a Sarah decision and I am hoping I can do both.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #592 - 11/07/22 at 19:57:39

I hope the silk screen issue is resolved before mine ships. I love the practicality, but also the contrast, which lends itself to an overall pleasing aesthetic. Decware products are inherently minimalistic, so small details like silk screening and cool knobs really stand out.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #593 - 11/08/22 at 03:42:37

Bluemage, That is exactly how I feel about the silkscreening. I thought it a nice addition, both in looks and usefulness.

Brian

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #594 - 11/08/22 at 05:24:28

I'm sure Steve will ship the silk screen folks into shape soon enough!

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #595 - 11/08/22 at 10:41:48

For me, the lack of silkscreening is not a deal breaker. I've been waiting patiently for 13 months, I'd prefer my amp sooner without silkscreening than with it at the cost of a few additional months' wait.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #596 - 11/08/22 at 10:58:29

I agree, silk-screening is something I'd prefer not to have. I even would prefer not to have meters.

The Rachel that this amp uses as a platform is a great bargain. It is so nicely priced even with all the options. I know this amp will not be priced the same, but if there were fewer frills such as the silk-screening and the price were a little lower I'd be happier myself.

But . . . I'll look forward to this amp however it is released. Eager to hear some in home impressions!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #597 - 11/11/22 at 18:57:28

Anyone have experience with EML 300B tubes to relate?

IP Logged
PaulInWA60
Verified Member

Reply #598 - 11/13/22 at 21:06:10

I have EML XLS 300B tubes which are better than my TJ Full Music 300B Mesh but not as good as the Kron KR Balloon 300Bs or the Western Electric 300Bs.  The EML are very dynamic with good separation, bass and treble.  The KR tubes are all of that plus a remarkable holographic soundstage.  The Western Electric are a little less dynamic but they have great tonality and timbre and with my Aric Audio Super 300B amp the best bass.  The Western Electrics are also very smooth and grain free. Unless you find a deal on the EML or KR tubes I think it makes sense to spend a bit more to get the Western Electric.  The five year warranty is worth the difference.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #599 - 11/13/22 at 21:27:59

Quote:
Posted by: PaulInWA60      Posted on: Today at 21:06:10

...The five year warranty is worth the difference.

Has anyone actually read the WE warranty? My understanding is it is prorated, like a tire warranty. If your tube blows up after 4 years and 11 months you don't get a new tube, you get 1/60 of the cost of a tube.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Send Topic Print