Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 19:29:52 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 141133 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #450 - 08/04/22 at 22:46:28

The next test was the WE300B tubes.  This tube caught us both off guard coming off the Cryotone 300B-WC sound.  We played the same sax track that we just marveled over with the Cryotone and it sounded like a different track.  In fact I had to ask three times if it was the same track.  This is because the sax that was almost in my lap was now farther back with a touch less body, and there was a piano and drum kit equally presented with the sax that I frankly didn't even notice before.  Besides that the room of the recording was rendered perfectly. This is why I thought it was a different track, because this time there was a room, a piano and a drum kit that I hadn't noticed before.

After about an hour of head shaking on every track we agreed the tube was worth every penny of it's asking price.  I put it above the Japanese tube. Price on the WE300B is I think about $700 ea.  Exquisite is the only word that comes to mind.  Still the Cryotone I think would be chosen over it by many because most people don't have a listening room that would support the sound stage the WE created which is what caused the piano and drum kit to appear.  So in my house instead of the listening room, I would lean heavily towards the Cryotone.

Supplemental tube rolling in the driver stage or introduction of a preamp with the right tube selection could have pushed or pulled the sound of all of these tubes in any of the described directions.  This is why we used this particular amp with no preamp to try to hear just the output tubes themselves.

Sadly all of these tubes require a couple hundred hours of break in and none of them are there yet.  The WE300B has the most hours on it but it's still shy of 200 hrs.  That means that all these impressions can change substantially.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #451 - 08/04/22 at 22:58:51

Interested where your “50 buck” tube slots in compared to all this high dollar talent.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #452 - 08/05/22 at 02:04:48

The $50 tube... listening to it right now...

We both agreed that this tube is well good enough to show of the amplifier and we like it enough that we could easily live with it.  The inner layers are somewhat less compared to the exotic tubes, but unless you heard that you would never know.  We think this tube will make the difference for some buyers as it will keep the cost down without tanking the fidelity or performance.  By FAR the best buy we have encountered with the 300B tubes.

As for how it stacks up against the others, we both would easily choose this over the Gold Lion 300B at $400 pair.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #453 - 08/05/22 at 03:18:27

8:53 PM

It's getting real interesting now... after listening to the $50 tube which after an hour got so good we concluded that either it's a miracle or the rest of the tube industry is screwing us.

Anyway, that tube is a raging success, even if it cost 10X it would still be highly desirable.

Here is the TJ Full Music Mesh Plate 300B.  They go for around $400 a pair.  I really love this tube.  It's very different, hard to find words, but just extraordinary presence and timing.  Musical, tight, bloomed, focused...  Highly Recommended.  It actually sounds very similar to the Cryotone at just under half the price.  Some things about are better, some probably not as refined, but another home run in the value department.  Just pushed the Gold Lion down another notch to the very bottom of the pile.  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #454 - 08/05/22 at 05:43:47

10:37 PM

Before we started listening to the Sarah 300B amp today, I had Randy hear it on the 88dB House Speakers.  He was relatively stunned.

Then I showed him the 274B from PSVANE that I found created a lucid image and insane stage, but was spongey on the bass.  This is why I changed to the PSVANE 5AR4 because on those demanding speakers with the amp at full power to drive them, the 274B was too soft.

I also plugged it into the UFO25 and as I think I mentioned the OA3's were blinking at half volume.  These two experiences pretty much destined the tube to live in the box for the rest of it's life.  But, since we're exploring so many possibilities, I decided to show Randy what I meant about the tube getting spongey.  So we put it in and couldn't hear anything wrong with it.  It was fairly wonderful.  What changed is the load on the amp.  Now instead of 88dB we were at 98 dB and the amp doesn't even know it's on.  The bass is tight as a brick, well almost, until you put the 5AR4 in and then however tight it was gets tighter.

Anyway, it is a wonderful sounding rectifier under these current conditions in the Sarah 300B.

In combination with the glob perf plate 300B from TJ it was simply great.  Hard to pull out these tubes to try other ones, because the sound was so right...

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #455 - 08/05/22 at 06:00:10

11:41 P.M.

Next was to put the Japanese 300B in my amp and see how we roll.  It's great.  So close to the WE300B it wouldn't be that hard to mistake one for the other.  

So this entire time I have been using what I predict will be the stock driver tubes in the amplifier, which are 6N6P.  The only thing I have tried in the past that is better is the Cryotone 6922. It was time to get these out and see what effect they have on the overall picture...

Another holy crap moment.  So much more solid, tight, tangible...  If it weren't for the price of these tubes they would be the default tube compliment that ships with the amp.

The combination was amazing.  So now we are back to the WE300B with the Cryotone 6922 and the PSVANE 5AR4.  This is insane.  This years DECFEST is going to blow some minds.  Between the Cryo treated UFO25, yes the whole amp was frozen, and this amp, people who have never heard either are not going to leave the same way they came.  If you don't want to be wrecked, don't come.

So we are on track for 12 straight hours of listening without a break.  Literally.  And as Randy continues to point out, not a single bad sound has occurred since we started this mission.  We have more tubes, but at this point I think both of our heads are well wrapped around what is possible and the approximate range of those possibilities.

I should see the production chassis in the next 8 weeks, at which point I will simply refine the layout and duplicate the sound.  Put it on the page, do the final pricing with the 11% inflation that has occurred since this project was started, and then we will build the web page for it and start selling it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #456 - 08/05/22 at 06:36:07

One of the most exciting reads in years!
After reading this report, I would like to hear the Cryotone process on the Takatsuki TA-300Bs. Perhaps it would make them a bit creamier without loosing the resolution.

Great stuff!  
Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #457 - 08/05/22 at 11:39:05

Quote:
This years DECFEST is going to blow some minds.  Between the Cryo treated UFO25, yes the whole amp was frozen, and this amp, people who have never heard either are not going to leave the same way they came.  If you don't want to be wrecked, don't come.

My biggest fear Undecided What do they say "no guts no glory." I'll pack some Depends...ambiguity intended Grin

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #458 - 08/07/22 at 03:23:05

Takatsuki TA-300Bs got a lot more creamy when they had a 12AU7 driving them instead of a 12AT7 in Randy's amp. The rawness melted.  Randy and I both suspect that when that tube breaks-in it will be a true force to reckon with because it already is and with only about 80 hours on it as I understand it.

That said, based on what I hear in common with all Cryotone tubes is more meat on the bone.  Better density and focus at the same time.  I can't imagine any tube taking a step backwards with more of that.  

Sadly it takes a lot of a particular tube to Cryo treat it they way he does... test, listen, adjust temperature ramps, treat another, test, listen, compare, treat another, adjust the ramps, repeat over and over and over.  At $1700 and up for a pair it's just not possible. Same with WE300B. Don't expect to see that one treated either.

I can see why he likes the thicker glass of the JJ tube and as I said before the sound is what most people are looking for in a 300B amp. It was the juiciest midrange of them all, proud and dense, front and center.  The stock JJ by comparison sounded a little washed out.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #459 - 08/07/22 at 03:48:42

UPDATE 8-6-2022

My wonderful time with Randy has ended for now, and he is safe and sound back home.  Without his wonderful sounding amp in the room I have Sarah connected to the HDT Silver8 and it is some of the most relaxed ultra detailed sound... as if without the competition the amp can relax and really shine.

The first song I played is this one:

And the track on this combination is just killing me. My neck is getting the kinks worked out of it from shaking my head in amazement so often. This amp is really damn happy right now! I suspect the added 30 hours of burn is part of what I'm noticing. Anyway it's shit like this that has made me rub all the hair off the front of my head : )

And now I think for the first time I have a good perspective on it's sound. Experiencing it along side another great amplifier and rolling the same tubes through both amps on a single set of speakers for 3 days has been illuminating. I wanted this amplifier to be half way between a typical 300B sound and the UFO25. I wanted some of both. That's exactly where it landed and even after hearing all the combinations I don't want to change anything.

I have also noticed that tonights sound is rather similar to Wed Nights sound with the UFO25 and Cryotone tubes. The two amps are just different enough to be special and alike enough to be able to use either for long periods of time. They are both in that league where when you start listening to one you forget about the other.

I'm sure there will be some Decware bashing about the rated 4 watt output when so many 300B amplifiers have twice that rated power but then that gets back to why Decware made its reputation on a 2 watt amp that could have easily put out 6 watts if wired for max power instead of max sound.

Turned up to it's 4 watt mark, which is 3/4 volume with a 2 volt source, the 88dB house speakers sounded just as loud as anything else we listened to and were incredible sounding.  It's actually one of my favorite combinations.

This is one right now, and it just sounds real.

Have a great night!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #460 - 08/07/22 at 05:52:10

Thank you, Steve for what you said about Cryo treating the Takatsuki. That helps my understanding a lot.

This must indeed be a beautiful sounding amp.

Brian

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #461 - 08/07/22 at 09:12:02

The pleasure to listen to music is mainly driven by the recording quality, above all others considerations. There are some music I love but never listen to because the recording kills it. In return, I listen more often to some tracks I don't particularly find interesting but are well recorded.
STEVE never proposes lousy recordings and of course on a top notch amp/system, it should be fantastic.
My point is, first change your music librairy to see what your system is really capable of, then upgrade choosing your poison in Steve products.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #462 - 08/07/22 at 09:13:44

Steve, what was this "sax track" you have been refering to ?
Thanks

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #463 - 08/07/22 at 11:04:32

Interesting Toopy, because for me the music itself is the pleasure and I listen to many not-so-great recordings and don't gather recordings just because "they sound great" if the music isn't to my liking.

The wonderful thing about Decware components for me is that they are tunable and flexible and can make so much sound quite enjoyable that are not as enjoyable in other components. And I think the Sarah amp will continue and even perhaps elevate that quality and those functions.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #464 - 08/07/22 at 12:41:23

Quote:
Interesting Toopy, because for me the music itself is the pleasure and I listen to many not-so-great recordings and don't gather recordings just because "they sound great" if the music isn't to my liking

I agree, that was the case for me also, music first, but not anymore, I need something more probably.....and I don't gather recording just because they sound great either, I just mean I have a tendancy not to reject these recordings and even listen to them from time to time, which could never happen before.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #465 - 08/07/22 at 12:57:15

Well I'm 67 and have been collecting and listening to music for over 50 years. .. half of that with Decware systems. . . I think my habits are not going to change.

I'm looking forward to the 300B after the long wait. . . I think it may have that missing link of "lushness" that my more "sober" system has perhaps been missing. (I don't drink. . . so maybe my system needs to have a few).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #466 - 08/07/22 at 15:23:29

Quote:
Posted by: Tooppy      Posted on: Today at 09:12:02
The pleasure to listen to music is mainly driven by the recording quality, above all others considerations...

You are not alone. I know guys (and they are always guys) who have been buying Dark Side of the Moon and Kind of Blue over and over again for 30+ years. Each time a new "ultimate" remastering comes out they are first in line. And there is nothing wrong with that, those recordings do sound fantastic on a good system.

But I'm like Lon, I listen to a lot of different music, and some of my favorites are from the 40's and early 50's and even back into the 30's and 20's. The great thing about my system is it wrings every drop of musical goodness out of my old recordings and sounds fantastic when I put on Kind of Blue. Which I admit I have been doing more often since I found Decware, just because it sounds soooooooooo gooooooooood.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #467 - 08/07/22 at 15:35:54

I've left Kind of Blue on repeat for days

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #468 - 08/07/22 at 17:40:44

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents without getting too far into the weeds ...

My custom built 300B amplifier sounds about as similar to most of the "typical" 300B amps I have heard as "chalk and cheese".
It sounds more like a 2A3 amp on steroids .....

So, for the new Decware 300B amp to get my attention tells me that it is VERY, VERY good indeed.

The 100.00 Chinese 300B tubes were a total stunner in my opinion.
If the quality control and reliability are good, these tubes are a no brainer.

As you might guess, I am a dyed in the wool open baffle fan and almost every "box" speaker that I have heard disappoints me in the low frequency range.  However, the Decware HDTSilver8's and the "house speakers" were an amazing and pleasant surprise .....
It is a testament to Steve's ability and instincts as a loudspeaker designer to create a multi-driver box speaker (the house speakers) that has absolutely NO distracting colorations that I could detect.
Well done .....

I can pretty much guarantee that the attendees of Decware Fest 2022 will be in for a treat and have the envelope pushed as to what is possible in the world of high resolution, truly musical audio.

Happy listening,
Randy in Caintuck

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #469 - 08/07/22 at 18:20:23

Randy,

Thanks for sharing your insights and listening observations. I'm glad you were able to sit in on extended listening sessions with some of Steve's latest offerings.

Since I have a Sarah amp on preorder, I'm hopeful Steve can source and stock up on a bunch of those $100 Chinese 300B tubes. That would be helpful in providing customers a modest cost tube compliment as a starter.

Most of the premium 300B tubes are very pricey. I'll likely need to delaying buying a pair for budgetary reasons.

Cheers and continued success with your Caintuck Audio baffle offerings.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #470 - 08/07/22 at 18:27:06

I'm so glad the Decware Demi-God got to be in the evaluating blend! Adds some real "street cred" to the listening thread. Thanks Randy!

One question though for Steve and/or you: that great fifty dollar tube. . . doesn't seem to be manufactured any longer. Is that true?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #471 - 08/07/22 at 18:33:33

Here is a video of a track I listened to last night.  It is one we played repeatably during all the tests and always sounded great, but last evening / almost morning the system was having that middle of the night bloom I wrote about 20 years ago.  So I captured it on video, as I often do, to share with anyone who has headphones.

https://youtu.be/hvCZMc4HruY

A little bit about the recording...

I use a Galaxy S9 phone in a gimbal which adds a lot of mass.  I use DJI software to record the video using the gimbal.  I dump it on my Mac and add titles and so on.  The audio is never edited, or volume adjusted.  Basically never touched so it doesn't get screwed up.  

For listening to the recordings I use a Beyer Dynamics DT770 PRO 250 ohm headphone plugged directly into the headphone jack of the computer.  It gives me a worse case scenario sound wise vs. using a 8K headphone rig which probably isn't worth it for listening to YouTube videos.  Nevertheless it sounds at least twice as good as should be possible, and I can easily live with it.  That means the playback system for these videos is the headphone jack on your computer and $149 headphones.

Here is a link to the actual video:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C0SjzjHYwtm8GyjMGTc4G6YuGHD1xL17/view?usp=shar
ing

If you Download and then listen to this video vs. the one on YouTube you will clearly hear how the YouTube compression dumbs down the clarity.  It's a real shame. If you use the video player on Google, it does the same transcoding that YouTube does so no point in that either.

WWW   IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #472 - 08/08/22 at 08:36:41

I've kind of been trying to stay away from this thread, but I'm starting to feel like I woke up at 8:00 p.m. and heard a pretty big party in progress next door. It's getting hard to ignore it.

Is this amp  going to make my dual UFO25 order obsolete? SET, yes? Just give me the bad (or good?) news now. Main reason for monoblocked UFOs was more watts.

I got about two years to go before delivery so maybe I can even get the MkII. <sigh>

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #473 - 08/08/22 at 11:06:58

At this point Steve seems to be saying that there are two top-tier amps, the SE84UFO25 and the Sarah. They’re different, but with the right speakers each can be equally mind-blowing.

That's not helpful perhaps. But I am pretty sure you can't go wrong either direction you might head. I'm in for the Sarah and the looonggg wait because I am loving the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th mods and just have to experirence the 300B world.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #474 - 08/08/22 at 11:36:36

The fact that Steve and Randy have been listening with the HDTs lately is very encouraging. The comments are very positive from Randy, who is a confirmed OB enthusiasts, of the unboxed sound of the HDTs.

Also a firm believer of OBs natural sound, I am looking forward to hearing the HDTs at Decfest along with all the open baffle offerings. I have purchased plans for the HDTs and hope the offering does not disappoint because HDTs will fit physically well into future plans.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #475 - 08/08/22 at 13:32:12

Lon wrote on 08/08/22 at 11:06:58:
I'm in for the Sarah and the looonggg wait because I am loving the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th mods and just have to experirence the 300B world.

At least you have a "holdstead" while you wait.

I have heard two different Chinese 300B amps that friends owned. They sounded OK, I guess, but I was already a Zen owner. They had more power than I expected, but I was not impressed with sound quality. One was $500 range the other was $2500 range. Neither was outstanding.

I can't wait to hear the platform done right!

One thing that bothered me about the Chinese amps was how SHINY they tried to make them look. I mean the cases were both extruded aluminum, but they both had machined the surfaces and polished the accents, too distracting. I guess there's some competition to make them look "special" to some buyers. A bit too much pavonine ostentation for my taste.
They did run HOT!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #476 - 08/08/22 at 14:02:01

I have actually only heard one 300B amp, twice. It was a Cary integrated, and first I heard it in a home that my father and I visited of one of his Swarthmore college roommates that he was reconnecting with. It was a fabulous home built overlooking a riverbed. He had an amazing system and at the heart of it was this amp, fed by a very expensive tuner at the time. It sounded great, the man told me it was "single-ended" not "push-pull" and I had just a tiny bit of that intriguing knowledge before hand. That led me to looking up SET amps I could afford. . . and I found Steve's site in time to order what turned out to be his 27th amp.

I heard that same Cary model again in Austin years later than the first time and it was in a less "mega-buck" system and I had a Decware Select at the time and I liked it, but also liked my Select, and I am not sure that the Cary had the best speaker matching possible. But I still was fascinated with the 300B sound and wondered at the possibilities.

I'm still wondering and will while I wait. Wink

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #477 - 08/08/22 at 15:06:58

Lon can you explain to me the difference between the Mono Block 25th and the Zen Triode Anniversary. I mean interior architecture, outer the most obvious difference is two separate transformers. I know each mono is single channel. I'm asking because I chose the upgrade Rachel with the goal of eventually having two amps running mono. Is there an advantage to having mono blocks instead of 2 two channel amplifiers. I know there isn't a Rachel mono bloc offered so this is strictly hypothetical.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #478 - 08/08/22 at 15:29:29

Quote:
Posted by: BicycleJoe Lo-Fi      Posted on: Today at 15:06:58
...Is there an advantage to having mono blocks instead of 2 two channel amplifiers...

The big difference is the mono blocks cost approximately what a single stereo amp costs, and have similar power output. So, if you don't need the power you get the advantages of mono blocks (short speaker cables, separate power supplies, channel isolation) for only a little more $$$ than a stereo amp. This is what Steve says:

These 'mono' amplifiers are essentially our basic model split in half, so there are no substantial gains in power because it's not about that ~ it's about transparency.

2 two channel amps (obviously) cost twice as much a one, but more than double the power when mono'd. And if you want balanced amps you need 4 channels, i.e. 2 two channel amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #479 - 08/08/22 at 15:49:58

CA pretty much explains it. Steve told me that my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary mods have just a bit more power than the stereo SE84UFO25, and that has resulted in a bit of headroom for me with my HR-1 speakers. I had wagered that the combo of Monoblocks and speakers would be a good match, and I'm glad I took the chance--I love this combination. I think that overall there is a beefier power supply that pays off with a bit more power and I don't know how that compares sonically as I don't have the stereo SE84UFO25 to compare. When Steve still had my pair he wrote that the Monoblocks had a bit more "masculine" sound than the stereo amp. I love how they sound.

One drawback of the monoblock design is that one has the cost of two cables, aftermarket fuses, sets of isolation footers etc. rather than one. One possible advantage is that with monoblocks one can use long interconnects and short speaker cables to locate amps close to speakers, which some claim has sonic advantages. I can't say as I haven't done this.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #480 - 08/08/22 at 19:30:25

that CH 'return of the candyman' is a killer album and Im lucky enough to own it on vinyl ( which Ive never played) . When i finally take it for a spin I know it's gonna be a gas as I mostly listen to it on my ipod.

Scott Amendola is on drums on that recording who I consider one the greatest contemporary drummers of our time. Having seen him live many times that dude's for real. I bet that 300b amp brought him to larger then life

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #481 - 08/09/22 at 20:50:02

I had the pleasure of a video meeting with Western Electric this afternoon and they were kind enough to give us their blessing on the SEWE300B amplifier aka Sarah.  

They are preparing a coupon for a nice discount on the WE300B tube that we will provide to customers who have a Sarah on order.

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #482 - 08/09/22 at 21:36:36

Steve,

That is really great news. Thank you for making this happen and to the principals at Western Electric. Outstanding!!!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #483 - 08/09/22 at 22:20:14

Good news!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #484 - 08/16/22 at 04:16:46

UPDATE 08/15/2022

For the past few days the amp has sounded... off.  Something about it was wrong.  Getting lean.  Figures.  BUT, what actually happened....

I believe sometime last week my CXNv2 updated itself (firmware) and went from sounding great to off.  This is an inevitable outcome of firmware that by definition begs to be constantly updated and jacked with.  I must be one of the few left on planet with the ability to leave it alone when it works well.

So this evening I decided to see what was going on and switched from the CXNv2's digital output to the USB output from my computer.  Both are feeding the HOLO AUDIO MAY DAC.  Problem solved.  Up until now, the CXNv2 coax output usually sounded and staged slightly better than the USB.

So now that I have been jacked with a bit, it's time for some real world analogue.  I warmed up the tape machine for the first time since I built the amplifier.  And something came in the mail today.  I got lucky enough after 11 years of searching and wishing/hoping to find the holy grail tape from my youth... Supertramp Crime of the Century.  I had the tape, the albums and the CD's and the streaming.  Virtually all the digital version of this are ruined in my opinion which is harsh and coming from deeply rooted analog memory of the album. But what came in the mail wasn't the cassette or 4 track reel to reel or another pressing, instead I now have a copy of the actual 1/4 inch master tape at 15IPS!!!!!!!!

This is a tape I've been dreaming about hearing ever since I got into reel to reel tape... and what a treat I get to hear it on Decware gear which I didn't even know would exist when I first fell in love with this album!  More special is to experience the natural harmonic compression of the 300B tube when cranked to the wood playing balls out rock and roll!  The purpose of tonights test for the SEWE300B amplifier.  It is hooked to the corner horns right now but the test will be repeated on several other speakers as well.

This is not an easy recording to get right and if it isn't right it's wrong, or off...  I've been trying to enjoy it since I first heard it sound right in my car stereo I created in 1979 which I tricked out to the best of my abilities at the time.  It was surreal in that car, and no stereo has ever come close to getting it that right.  Until tonight.  Holy Crap!  We went WAY passed getting it right to "here's what dynamics really sound like". I'm proud to say this tape has absolutely kicked the HOLO AUDIO MAY's ass so bad it's almost embarrassing.  No fault of the DAC though because I'll have to make a digital copy of this tape to see how it would actually compare...

That said I am tripping on the experience. 300B is kinder than other amplifiers when at elevated distortion levels that just begin to become audible.  And since I set it up as a 4 watt amplifier, at 4 watts there is a lot of headroom.  This tape would have never played on the Zen Triode 2.3 watt platform without clipping.  On Sarah, it just sailed through it like nothing.  I feel like the amp wants to party.  Like this might be the perfect companion to take to Woodstock 1969.

I am not only surprised but impressed with the dynamics.  I have never heard these dynamics come out of the amp since I built it.  But that's what I get for listening only to digital during it's development.

I just finished side one and the solidity and density and naturalness and the way it is all so damn tight that it sounds serious in a way that usually only happens live.

TIME PASSES

Side Two has me transfixed.  I measured the SPL at the listening chair at 94dB 11 feet away from the speakers that are only a single six inch driver per side.  I can't say I've heard these speakers get any louder than this, regardless of amp, think ZMA...  

The density is killing me.  Crime of the Century has taken on a whole new meaning for me.  It is the crime of the century to make the world listen to the records, CD's, cassette tapes, and bullshit streams of this album.  It's like if the real thing were the best beer you ever had, all the other copies were watered down and pissed in.  The master tape hype is real.  I WILL be demoing this a DECFEST.  It's just SICK.

Side two over... that was just insane!  I can't even believe what I just heard.  This amplifier had some secrets I didn't know about.  I feel like there is a parallel with my small block chevy.  I feel like the tape machine blew the cobs out of the amplifier and it just crushed it!

How the hell is it possible to get that loud with that dynamic and weight and sense of power with four watts?  Audio Gods were here. They're here right now, because we're going to play both reels a second time.  Has to happen.  It was too good.  

So before I disappear into the mist, the lesson here is that this amp sounded like crap all week because it was so good it let me hear a completely failed firmware update to my once favorite streamer.  I started to panic.  I started to have visions of revisiting the circuitry.  That's how F'd up this hobby is.  When I unwrapped the tapes and flipped the switch on the tape machine, the audio gods quietly showed up, all of them, and chilled out on the back wall waiting to see what I would do when I heard what was about to happen.

So with that, we're going for round two...

Good night!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #485 - 08/16/22 at 05:22:12

Sorry but I just had to chime in again... After listening to those tapes we had an overwhelming urge to listen to more tapes.  So I went to my sacred all metal magnetic-field-proof tape cabinet and found two 8 inch reels in there that I have never seen before. No shit. Some incredibly well recorded jazz. It's just... well dammit -- my face melted off an hour ago and it's hard to talk. Point I wanted to make is these are not my tapes, they manifested in my cabinet. Can you guess how and why?  So now we know they really like Jazz with Sax.  God bless the Audio Gods and he has, obviously and me as well to have the privilege of their guidance.  You too are blessed because I'm not doing it for myself.  This is actually a relationship between them and you.  I am just a conduit.  You must first crave the good sound and seek it.  Then they steer you down the right paths. I swear if you ever own this amplifier and a tape machine you better also get some 'Depends' under garments so you don't ruin your listening chair.  It's a completely alien experience to anyone who hasn't heard it under these conditions.  It makes you realize that power is a placebo.  The density and hit transcends power.  Tonight I heard 4 watts shame most high power high dollar stereos in a simply demonstrative way that left no recourse.  I also realized sadly that perhaps 1% will ever hear the truth.  Truth is tape.  When you hear the truth and the weight of it you fold. It goes so far beyond what you thought the range was. It leaves you dumbstruck.

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #486 - 08/16/22 at 05:22:33

I remember buying Supertramp Crime of the Century in London before it came out in the United States, I actually purchased it from Richard Branson at his little shop Virgin Records. I had gone over to buy rare blue eye soul R&B singles in the Barrows but came home with Lulu, the Man Who Sold The World, Leo Sayer The Show Must Go On, Super Tramp Dreamer and 10CC Rubber Bullets 45's none of which had US releases yet. Here you are almost 50 years later getting to relive it

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #487 - 08/16/22 at 05:26:15

Relive it I did.  As well lived it for the first time at the same time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #488 - 08/16/22 at 12:29:31

Just saw the new Sarah Video
I Thought I read in your build thread you were including an internal Zrock set at parity as part of the Sarah's design? I even asked you if I could get one put into the Rachel? https://youtu.be/HUTVpSPlqSI

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #489 - 08/16/22 at 14:31:25

I think the point of this video was to demonstrate that even though there is a bit of the ZROCK2 DNA in the Sarah amp that a ZROCK2 can still be employed with success. I for one am glad that is so! I intend to use mine when it is in hand many moons from now with my ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2. It bet it will sound magnificent.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #490 - 08/16/22 at 15:12:49

Lon for me it really doesn't communicate that. The ZRock isn't even seen in the video except by name, from this video I'm not sure if the video is demonstrating an external ZRock2 or an internal ZRock. If there is a ZRock circuit already built into the Sarah why would you need a second ZRock?

I suppose if an external ZRock2 was used that might've been demonstrated better by flipping the bypass switch in the middle of the playback.

Personally I hope Steve is not using a second ZRock in the signal path, that redundancy seems illogical in a State of the Art top of the line Amplifier.

I am looking forward to hearing both The Sarah and the Rachel Solo and with the ZRock at Decfest.

This morning I also read the thread about the debut of the ZRock in 2017 and your final decision to reorder after canceling. I was unsure about buying one before today and had decided to wait until I heard the Rachel at the Decfest before making a decision.

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #491 - 08/16/22 at 15:22:22

I am not sure what you find so confusing. The ZROCK2 is actually shown in that video with the Chinese 300B tube boxes on top of it.

The Sarah does NOT have a complete ZROCK2 incorporated as a gain stage within it, it just has the initial gain stage built in, set at the gain point on the ZROCK2 where the EQ effect is about to happen but is not yet happening, in the ZROCK2 any further movement of the pot would lead to EQ enhancement.

So if you have a room such as I do that seems to eat up and diminish bass frequencies, and that you are not able to outfit with room treatment, why wouldn't you want to use a ZROCK2 to enhance them? I plan to keep using ZROCK2s in every system because they restore the bass that is missing convincingly and also enhance other frequencies. I think the intent of the video could have been deliniated better and agree a "bypass" portion would have illustrated the point that I think Steve was trying to make: even though the gain stage in the Sarah was in part borrowed from the ZROCK2, using a ZROCK2 in front of that was not redundant nor damaging to the sound, but an enhancement.

Now I may many moons from now find the Sarah does not NEED a ZROCK2 in my room. But I highly doubt it, and this video gives me peace of mind that I might find the ZROCK2 as great a tool in the future as it is now.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #492 - 08/16/22 at 15:26:14

Quote:
Posted by: BicycleJoe Lo-Fi      Posted on: Today at 15:12:49

...If there is a ZRock circuit already built into the Sarah why would you need a second ZRock?

I think if you read what Steve said earlier in the thread he backed away from calling the circuit a "zrock" in favor of "12au7 driver stage" exactly to (try to) avoid this kind of issue. For me personally, I have no want or need of a zrock, but many Decware family members love what they do in their current setups and I'm sure will continue to love them with Sarah.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #493 - 08/16/22 at 16:17:51

Hello CA Good Morning, thanks I went back and read the blow back about the internal addition of the Z rock and have to admit I avoided all that drama. So it's a hardwired circuit with no adjustability based around an internal 12AU7 strictly for gain. When I talked with Steve asking about including the Z rock internally in the Rachel he said it had no need for the gain but that with a Z rock externally my Rachel would be on a par with the new Sarah 300B which sort of confused me but I accepted his judgement.

Smiley

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #494 - 08/16/22 at 17:09:30

Lon yes I surmised that might of been a Zrock with the tube boxes on top to the left of the Sarah while the volume knobs were adjusted. It could of just as easily been any number of black boxes. It certainly wasn't featured or even focused upon.

I am satisfied with the explanations put forward here but feel the video could have been clearer. Additionally I think a better choice of music could have been selected, the bass line reminded me of a ratchet gear.

I admit that could be due to my playback online with low quality Tin HiFi ear buds. I'm going to replay it through my 15 inch field coil speaker and listen again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #495 - 08/16/22 at 18:37:28

As far as what Steve told you, I believe that the Rachel and the Sarah share some DNA and both are excellent amps. I had a version of the SE34 Integrated before Rachel and it was a very nice amp. So much has changed since then--the Rachel has come and been in a few editions, the Sarah is on the horizon. The stable of components has gotten larger. . . as has the waiting list. It has been over 4 years now that I have enjoyed the Monoblocks and they have been a learning experience for me--they show me so much that each change I make in cabling, isolation, power and tubes just becomes another planet to explore. I won't say I'm bored because I'm still finding new territories to experience but I've reached a plateau of listening enjoyment that is amazing. And as soon as the Sarah was announced I felt a thrill--another galaxy to travel.

I see Steve's point about the Rachel and ZROCK2. If the ZROCK2 had been invented and available then I might have her still. The ZROCK2 is a fantastic component, and I'm relieved and excited to know from the experimentation Steve did that it "passed the test" with the Sarah.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #496 - 08/16/22 at 19:12:16

And I have to make a correction: the box with the tube boxes on top is actually a ZBIT.

IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #497 - 08/17/22 at 11:14:04

That does indeed look like a ZBIT as those 2 cables to the right of the box look more like XLRs...

I would find it helpful if Steve would show how his components are set up, in what order and what cables he is currently using on some of his videos.

I myself have an MK5 and ZROCK2 on order and I must admit that I've changed my mind 3 times already. The more info I get from Steve and you guys on this forum, the more I may change my mind again but in the end, I am getting a Decware amp...

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #498 - 08/17/22 at 15:51:44

Quote:
Posted by: ChJKy (Chris)      Posted on: Today at 11:14:04

...I would find it helpful if Steve would show how his components are set up, in what order and what cables he is currently using on some of his videos...

I think you will get a lot more of that kind of information reading Steve's posts on the message board rather than looking for it in the videos.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #499 - 08/21/22 at 18:12:28

Quote:
I also realized sadly that perhaps 1% will ever hear the truth.  Truth is tape.

Oh yes....that shows how important the source is !
I usually listen to Qobuz through an IFI streamer, but that streamer do not provide Qobuz so I need to use a third party software. As they said long ago they should offer Qobuz, the other day, I opened their dedicated application to see if something was done about it.
They did nothing (yet I hope), so I plaid a bit with this app and read some files from my NAS.....Woua ! What a shock ! A lot more of sound quality in all departments ! Beside the fact that the app is rather crappy, the sound isn't.
Morality, the same sound track from a digital app to another can transform your system !
Source is key for sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24
Send Topic Print