Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 09:43:59 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 140963 times)
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #350 - 05/26/22 at 02:37:56

Quote:
many of you  . . . [advocate] reducing distortion/noise at all costs..

I've been reading through these forums for a long time (a good number of years prior to registering) and I only occasionally see someone that adamant about toeing the ultra-purist line. If we take the 'reducing distortion at all costs' dictum to it's logical extent none of us would be here, since in comparison of roughly similar quality amplifiers tube amps nearly always have more distortion than SS amps.

Quote:
. . .  .but then isn't one introducing all of the unwanted circuits,   . . .  [using a ZBIT]. 

A) It's one circuit, not 'circuits'.  B) It's not adding a circuit, it is relocating the L/R conversion transformers from inside the amplifier to in front of the inputs.

Quote:
. . . Why isn't DAC to AMP via XLR (one set of cables) superior to 3 sets of cables (2 sets being RCA) and adding boxes (ZBIT + Zrock, etc)?

I'm not sure where you're getting the "2 sets being RCA" from. The chain would be DAC - XLR - ZBIT - RCA  - amp input. The one set of RCA cables is the only thing added vs. direct XLR connection. It's not overly difficult to find a 1' shielded RCA cable if one looks. Even a 1 meter well made shielded cable should not introduce any perceptible noise (or it might, if you live close to a transmitting tower).

Aside all that, many ZBIT owners enjoy having and making use of the adjustable output, as it provides extra gain configuration ability. That functionality is not obtainable when the transformers are inside the amplifier.

As for understanding why one would use a  ZROCK, you might find better answers if you pose that question in the ZROCK2 subforum:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=zrock

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #351 - 05/27/22 at 06:05:48

Tonight after a long thunderstorm, me and my listening buddy are spending more serious time with the amp. Still rotating through speakers.  I found another synergy that goes a bit beyond... the DNA with the new drivers I'm testing. They are remakes of the vintage Diatone 5 inch full-range drivers and man are they good in this little cabinet. Everything about them is right and they really show off the amp. I did not realize how tight they can hit until tonight.

And this is why voicing an amp is such a stressmare.  As you know we are down to two voices on a switch. I have been trying as hard as I can to pick one and eliminate the switch, because on the whopping 4 or 5 pair of speakers I've listened to it on so far one setting simply rules.

Well that all changed tonight. I spent an hour or so with the switch in my "favorite" setting and then switched to the DNA speakers. After just a few minutes I became restless and decided now would be a good time to visit the switch and make myself listen to the setting I had predetermined I didn't like. So I flipped the switch and after a track or two (I always use random play for this type of evaluation) and then this rather amazing track with 0.00 limiting came on and I got drawn into how incredibly tight the drum hit was on it. Like tightest I've ever heard maybe. I was falling into the black hole on music I don't even necessarily like. But the imaging, frequency balance and dynamics simply grabbed me like a magnet.

Then I switched the voice back to the one I thought I liked better, and it sounded like a different master of the same recording. I had to do it several times over the next 30 minutes. Goes to show if you hunt long enough you will find the key that unlocks the mystery. So now we know there will definitely be the switch on the production model and she will have two voices. You can all fight over which one is better.

One was so clean and tight... the other was rich with more depth. The two voices created two completely different sound stages, and two completely different masters of the same recording

. I am still Cheshire stunned.

And these speakers... it's a double whammy because frankly I wasn't expecting much in comparison to the Tube Tots, the secret T6 prototypes, and the House Speakers... but what a wonderful surprise...

The dynamics of this combination -- in this voicing with these tubes -- is just nuts. BTW, the Cryotone 6922's got replaced with 6N5P which have a touch less gain and I wanted to see how they worked in this gain structure. As I expected, fabulous because we now have a low mu triode driving them, the 12AU7. I am just so impressed with the spank of these speakers. They are low power, so if overdriven by a TORII for example, they can start to break up at high volume. But with this amp there is no way to make that happen, and in the sweet spot of the amps power output, these are just perfect. Not loud. Perfect.

This is the Diatone P610S. About a 20 watt speaker. Probably around 94dB. I haven't measured it yet.  In this DNA horn cabinet the bass is so rich and deep and satisfying on this type of Electronic music, you just don't crave anything. But this amp and this speaker in this cabinet has besides the most natural extended bass and glass smooth midrange, on dynamic music there is an upper midrange crack that is special.  I have not heard it before. So tight. So right. I didn't know a 300B tube could spank like that. Pretty flippin impressive.

The synergy here is as good as the ZF15L baffles with this amp.  Totally different, but  almost exactly the same.  Simply amazing.  

So you might think, gee, would I spend possibly up to 6K on an amplifier and tubes and pair it with a pair of these somewhat delicate crossover less drivers in this tiny tower horn cabinet... in a 16 x 20 room?  ...YUP.  You would.

It's actually been awhile (obvious) since I have listened to the DNA horns and the low bass texture is just intoxicating. Especially from a small package like this. I think it starts rolling off a 40Hz, but as I said I haven't measured it. Previous drivers in this cabinet went lower, but this is the best bass by far. AND it sounds like it goes as low. Deceptive but true.

These actually sound exactly like the DNA2 now but with a dynamically tighter crack in the upper midrange. This is a more natural sound than the previous driver, albeit not as fast or extended, they are actually tighter.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #352 - 06/04/22 at 06:13:45

UPDATE JUN 3, 2022

Still listening to the 20 watt max Diatone drivers in the DNA2 horn cabinets with this amp and I just don't want to unhook it. It's so complete.

You can see where they are placed... so wide and with so much crap next to them.  None of this should work.  But, as I have witnessed a million times in my room, when things get in the zone, it doesn't matter how much crap is in the way -- it just melts and the music manifests as if all that crap literally wasn't there. This week, this combination... has been an example of just that.

I'll have some fun with a video or two soon but sadly it will in no way capture this illusion accurately. I presently have 4 pair of speakers in an arc in front of me and you can't tell which speakers are playing at a distance of only 6 to 7 feet. They all have the same soundstage, which is the width of the room, despite the large discrepancy in placement. Is it the amp? Tonight it is clearly a synergy between the amp and the voice setting and the speakers. Just like last week. I just don't want to unhook it and try anything else. You all know what is in this room, so for me to say that...

I now see why Diatone 610 drivers are bringing upwards of a grand a pair from Japan. If I were going to build a console stereo like the 1961 Zenith stereo unit made the year I was born, I would put this 300B amp in it and two of these Diatone speakers in it. I'm serious. It would be a serious contender for face melting. That's what I would call it... The face melter.

I really love this hobby, as we all do...  every time I hear something wonderful like this, it feels like flying for the very first time which is not unlike the feeling of hearing an utterly lucid 3D soundstage for the first time where it is so present in space that you can hear all the way around each instrument which is what makes perfect reproduction transition into sounding real.

This combination, the speakers in particular, are small like the Caintuck Audio baffles and have a similar unbelievable image specificity and sound stage size.  Something you would expect from Giant speakers in a large space.

So I will continue to enjoy it over the weekend as this amp and the WE300B tubes continue to break in. I am very happy with the sound of this amplifier at the 4 watt output I designed it for. The ability to grow to 8 watts with higher distortion is also nice because it means that at 4 watts there is a sort of RMS headroom for sustained notes. Don't mistake that for the instantaneous peak power of of tubes which is very high. This just drives that number higher making the 4 watts a little more substantial.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #353 - 06/04/22 at 10:43:54

This is great news. I am sure that the Sarah would sound great with the HR-1 in my room and for me the analogy to the old console strikes home as I grew up with my Dad's Dynaco/AR system in a cherry wood cabinet with 12" ElectroVoice full range speakers built in--and that's a heartbeat sound that is a subconscious reference for me.

Now I get to experience all those that are new to Decware are while waiting the long time for delivery.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 06/04/22 at 15:51:05

I've officially changed my order from the MKV to the 300. I'm aboard and ready to roll on the Decware SET train! I'm quite thrilled with the whole prospect.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #355 - 06/07/22 at 06:08:10

I'm sure that a lot of this is simply the hour count on the amplifier and the WE300B tubes which state 500 hours for burn in, but the sound and the imaging specificity, depth and scale is as good as anything I've ever heard... and then I realize I am still listening to these small DNA speakers on the outside of the arc in this picture and the fuses in my head pop. You just can believe what is happening in here! For all it lacks in low bass it competes for the title of best I've ever heard. I just want to keep listening to it, and don't want to try the other speakers yet, it's just too good. To do so would be like having sex and then stopping just before you finish.  Sorry I know that's super crude and I apologize, but it's so accurate. The point being why the hell would you ever do that!?!?  

click to enlarge

Anyway it's a sound I find hard to put into words, but to say vocals are to die for is a grotesque understatement.

This has so far been a very happy amp to live with.  It can stay on all day, never gets hot hot, and is well behaved being cathode biased. I know I've said this before being one of the biggest power transformers we've used to date, it has turned out to be a gentle giant.  Always soft starts without any noise or drama.  Easiest amp on rectifier tubes so far which is with some great irony considering the size of the transformer but the 4 uf choke supply makes sure things are easy on the rectifier tube.

That said, my favorite rectifier in a preamp I made for ZMF is the TJ Full Music 274B.  That product uses 8 uf, but is only 360 volts.  Sarah is about 460 or so and settles to around 417.

When I tried this tube in Sarah it came on fine with no drama and sounded great! Then in less than a minute or two it was lit up like a Christmas tree!  The mesh plates engulfed in bright yellow white plasma.  It did it twice but continues to work perfectly in the preamp.  Also the preamp is 30ma or so while the amp is 160/170ma.  The amp falls within the rating of the tube, but the tube falls short of its rating.

So I am doing this listening with a N.O.S. RCA 5U4 which is kind of a standard.  I have more 274B tubes on the way so we'll see if they do better.  A mesh plate is not really designed for this kind of current so if one does work it will probably be the exception not the rule.

I will be updating the web page on the DNA speakers very soon, so just sit tight.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #356 - 06/07/22 at 13:42:17

I've always been interested in mesh-plate rectifiers but haven't been able to determine if there are any compatible for the Decware amps. Interesting.

The development and seasoning of the 300B Sarah is fascinating to read of. I'm glad I'm on the list.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 06/07/22 at 15:25:25

Lon, I'm running EML 5U4G mesh in my Torii. The EML 5U4G calls for a max of 40uf cap. Torii MKIV is 47uf. Running a little out of spec. MrDerrick has been running one in his UFO25th for ~3 years.

The sound is glorious! beating my previous favorite RCA 5U4G from the 1940's

The way it renders the detailed texture of music is mind bending. It's light and airy, and at the same time rich and powerful.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #358 - 06/07/22 at 15:59:57

Thanks GS. I'll look into it. I keep returning to the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and this one might beat it. May take a while to afford a pair.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #359 - 06/07/22 at 16:07:28

To do so would be like having sex and then stopping just before you finish.  Sorry I know that's super crude and I apologize, but it's so accurate.

Audius Interruptus?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 06/07/22 at 19:36:31

thats a beautiful amp ! Ive never lived with a 300b amp but it has always been on my radar. I was eye balling a very popular 300b amp before I bought my Decware but things like plastic molex connectors connecting the transformers , pcb mounted power/driver tube sockets , pcb mounted rca jacks etc  basically everything my audio journey has taught me to try and avoid kept me from pulling the trigger even though Im sure its a fine sounding amplifier. Point to point is in a way a form of life insurance to me.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #361 - 06/08/22 at 04:35:26

Yes, that is the stuff that ruins the sound.  Even just one item from that list can kill it so you can imagine the whole collection.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #362 - 06/08/22 at 04:51:27

Steve, I gather all of this research you have done is based around the WE 300b tube.  Have you tried the setup using a less-expensive 300b tube?  How drastic is the change in sound?  

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 06/08/22 at 05:28:24

Matchstick-   From Steve in early April:

“ I ordered Gold Lion 300B tubes at $400 a pair just before the war made everything Russian harder to get.  I will be placing my order for the Western Electric pair tomorrow.  My plan is to voice it using the modestly priced Russian tube, or a JJ tube since that is what many will use in the amp... I mean let's be honest with ourselves. Then when the WE get here I can experience a good AB and make sure it passes without any tweaks to the circuit. To be more clear I have set the amp up specifically for the WE 300B and am seeing how alternates perform at those settings.  Those settings are 383V 65.3 mA”

Not sure how much A/B has been done since the WE went in, but I know he did not initially have them as he was designing.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #364 - 06/08/22 at 13:23:10

Dr3wman, I read that, too.

However, I have not read where he has actually used the other tubes in an actual test for comparison purposes using the current version of the amp.  From what I can tell all of his reports are based on using the WE 300b which apparently is out of this world.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #365 - 06/09/22 at 02:20:29

Kahuna,

I’m curious.  What popular 300B amp is made with all those crappy, cheap components?  

And I am in full agreement…….Steve’s new 300B amp is a thing of beauty!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 06/09/22 at 19:54:14

@Doug

weak area (cost saving) in design and construction is probably a better way to put it I suppose but the Elekit amplifiers use plastic molex connecters to connect those beautiful transformers to the circuit board and the tube sockets and rca jacks are mounted directly to pcb not the chasis, all potential problem areas. It is a kit built amp keep in mind.

in my hands on real world experience I have seen burn/heat marks on pcb's with tube mounted sockets as well as stressed/broken solder points from insertion and removal of tubes both power and driver. I have also tried to fix more then a few times broken rca jack solder points even cracked circuit boards.... case in point , Against my better judgement I bought the smaller Elekit 8200 used (for a friend lol) and it played fine for 2 days until I tried the 2nd set of input jacks and swapped out driver tubes and guess what failed?? rca jacks and driver tube sockets solder points. Can it be fixed?? of course it can. Does the amp sound good?? yes it did, very good in fact.
But cracking open a amplifier and seeing everything soldered point to point and all jacks and tube sockets chasis mounted is a beautiful sight and comfortable feeling singing a song of longevity and as Steve mentioned it results in improved sound quality as well as the control of sound quality. No ribbon cables or thin pcb traces to fight with in the pursuit of perfection.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #367 - 06/10/22 at 02:17:17

Kahuna,

Though I haven’t taken a close look at the Elekit amps, I just had a hunch that might be the amp to which you were referring  Thanks for the info!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #368 - 06/10/22 at 02:51:42

My mentor was a guitar amp guru who designed his own after 30 years of repairing guitar amps and stereo equipment. He is where I learned to hate circuit boards with heat producing tubes and just in general. He worked in a music store as the head tech. Believe it or not, his job was to take every new amp that came in the store completely apart and hand solder the wave soldered circuit boards and then put them back together and test them before they could go out on the floor.  

Circuit boards... They don't ship well. Vibration causes issues with solder and connectors. They don't appreciate current. They don't appreciate heat.
Wave soldering sucks. There is video on Youtube of a Fender Champ tube guitar amplifier being made from start to finish in 11 minutes.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #369 - 06/10/22 at 03:22:56

Soon I will be burning in the Cryotone 300B's and I have some Chinese models that are lost in shipping... so it will still be awhile before I can do a fair comparison. I will revisit the Gold Lion 300B's while I wait.

Meanwhile I got another rectifier tube today, a PSVANE 274B, I think it ran around $400.  It is so far working well with no issues on start up. The sound is good right out of the box and I've noticed the tubes are biasing lower so there is more of a voltage drop than the 5U4 which we already knew would happen.

click to enlarge

It's a good look. The right look artistically speaking. To get it to the correct height an octal tube saver was used to add another 30 millimeters.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #370 - 06/10/22 at 03:43:09

click to enlarge

It makes me want to change the AC heater frequency from 50/60Hz to 432Hz...  You'll have to click on it and view it full res to see what I mean.  

Is there anything cooler than a vacuum tube? The only equal I can think of is the V8 engine.

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #371 - 06/10/22 at 07:45:46

I see you went right to the top-of-the-line PSVane ACME 274b Smiley It's such a beautiful looking (and sounding) tube.

Do you have a WE422a or Metal GZ34 on hand? They're my go to rectifiers and both have a strong (though different) perspective so I'm curious how they'd sound in the Sarah 300B. If it'd be helpful, I'm happy to send them to you for testing.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
acousticsguru
Verified Member

Reply #372 - 06/11/22 at 21:09:32

GZ34 Metal Base is one of my favorite two rectifiers (overall my favorite - depends a bit on the choice of input tube) in the UFO25, the other or second favorite being the Shuguang GZ480. That might look cool in the new 300B amp (and it seems to add treble extension and clarity wherever it fits), but these are both NOS, difficult to find and expensive. The Psvane ACME looks nice, but it's nowhere close in sound quality in any amp (or for that matter Lampizator DAC) we've rolled it in. If it were a matter of picking the prettiest, my pick there would be the Emission Labs 5U4G Mesh Plate - although the looks depend on correct (sideways) orientation.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #373 - 06/12/22 at 01:51:13

Well the ACME 274B has so far proven to be almost surreal smooth / soft with perhaps the most holographic imaging and sound stage so far. But the amplifier lacks some punch and that clean Zen line I gravitate towards. So with sharp speakers or rooms and high efficiency this might be the holy grail. For me it's not going to be a daily driver because only some of the speakers might it be the magic pill for.  

Right now I am trying a PSVANE 5AR4, which is kind of the target tube for this amplifier since it soft starts the output tubes. I will compare this against some NOS and then get a Cryotone 5AR4. That will be informative.

This is so far the best clarity and punch, better than the NOS RCA 5U4. Considering the difference in price this 5AR4 definitely wins in Sarah.  Even if they were the same price it would win.  Even it it were more it would win.  It wins.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #374 - 06/12/22 at 03:43:02

UPDATE JUN 11, 2022

(Holy crap! Is it really 2022?)

Tonight my mission is to roll rectifiers and see what the results are... how much will it change the sound.

I knew it going in, but despite knowing, was in denial and only expected subtle differences. I was mainly focused on the bass hit and how deep and tight it was.

I think I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have been somewhat shocked at what I have just heard happen to my amplifier... and it took things so far beyond bass performance that it was like listening to different circuits.

Take away: It's so fundamental. It's like the cone. You go to the ice cream shop and you get either a regular cone or a waffle cone. They are different. You can't imagine one into the other in the middle of your ice cream experience.

Perhaps a bit abstract, so let's just get to the nuts and bolts of it.  Each rectifier tube I tried tonight was no different than bringing a different amplifier into the room.

This is serious shit.  It's always been this way but you just don't get used to it especially when you make or sell the amplifiers. You instantly realize that depending on what tubes are in the amp at the time of audition will determine what flavor the ice cream is, or what kind of cone it's in and we all know that everyone likes one kind or the other so God forbid what if we pick the wrong cone... and don't have the other kind available?

See with busy solid state receivers you don't have this problem. It's so dumbed down that it's just an ice cream cone. Period. There is no distinction between the regular cone or the waffle cone, or even the flavor of the ice cream. In fact it's more like an ice cream flavored cracker.

Highly exaggerated on the one hand and soberingly accurate on the other depending on the price of your SS amp(s).

Sorry, just having a little fun to make a point that the transparency of these amplifiers are so far beyond any of the supporting components shy of a top tear all triode analog rig with passive RIAA... that when given a room to unmask in, things like tonights innocent experiment with a half a dozen rectifiers would have become more a discussion of "did you hear anything?"

I am just floored at the difference in sound between each of the rectifiers I tried, and this is why we try them. Trying to find something in current production that makes the amplifiers sound like they do from a hand picked stash of NOS tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #375 - 06/12/22 at 04:33:49

So with a baseline of the NOS RCA 5U4 for the past couple weeks... which btw garnered no complaints... I got the high dollar PSVANE ACME 274B Tube this week...

Before you say anything -- I had too right?  ACME? The ACME Full Wave Anti Road Runner Rectifier Tube piece of kit for the determined Coyote. You can see the large box with the printing on the side right?

So yes, at around $400 a crack it looks the part and so in it went and as I mentioned the resulting sound was surreal in it's smoothness. It captured the "tube sound" where you can't make anything sound bad. Dynamics were muted but in a beautiful way and the imaging and sound stage was by far the best spatially delineated matrix you'll ever hear. It was like doing mushrooms or dropping acid. Dreamy and floatatious. Silky to an extreme. Like having your whole system running on batteries inside a faraday cage.

Noticing the drop in honesty and dynamics and presence compared the 5U4, I decided to use a 5AR4. It would have less voltage drop than even the 5U4 and way less than the 274B so we should get more of the Zen Triode Sound back.  The only one I could find at the moment was our stock of PSVANE 5AR4 tubes which I'm pretty sure sell for around $60 each.  This is a humble looking little tube and a tiny fraction of the price of the ACME and made from the same company!  

So I pulled out the ACME274B and installed the PSVANE 5AR4 and it frankly smoked the ACME. Yes, the acid trip is wonderful but you can't do that all the time. Now the amp sounds like the 5U4 only with more transparency and speed. Bass control is superior and really everything is superior.

Hmmm.. Let's try a Gold Lion GZ34 and see what happens...

How do the Russians do this? Here is that familiar deep smooth almost heavy Russian sound! It sounds like a different amplifier. It sounds like you just changed coupling caps from something ultra exotic to ultra affordable but forgiving and musical. It's darker, heavier, slower.  It's nice but wow we have lost a lot of information. The resolution of the amplifier has dropped.

OK lets try a JJ GZ34 and see what happens. It has a much slower start like the PSVANE 5AR4 which we desire in this amplifier. And yes right away we are back in the game with similar sound to the PSVANE 5AR4. The bass has more girth with this tube and it is really very acceptable. Probably superior in non dedicated listening spaces with slightly less resolution in exchange for more tone and girth in the low end.

Based on what I am hearing between the PSVANE and JJ there is a good chance the Cryo Treated JJ from Cryotone will be the best sounding tube in this amp for daily drives to work and back ; ) That probably holds true for all Decware amplifiers that use 5U4 rectifiers.  (Hint)_

But, if not, this PSVANE 5AR4 is really blowing my mind. Is it a fluke?  I have 24 more of them in stock on the site so let's grab at random a different one and see what happens...

Sounds the same.

Keep in mind that the only tube that was fully burned-in is the 5U4 RCA reference so after 300 to 500 hours a lot could change. Still I have a skill at hearing potential pre-burn-in that usually foreshadows the final result and these PSVANE 5AR4 are the big surprise of the evening for sure!

I am more than happy with the way the amplifier sounds with this tube that I will likely ship all the amplifiers with it.  I am still using 6N5P which are lower gain and silky. Changing those to a more aggressive higher gain tube like the 6922 would  certainly effect the outcome  

As you can see I am in the process of determining what the reference default set of tubes will be that the amplifier ships with...  It takes time.

The chassis are being made as we speak so while we wait it is just a deep exploration into the amplifier itself. So far ZERO urge to alter anything.  I absolutely nailed it. Got it right, there is no doubt in my mind about it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #376 - 06/12/22 at 06:06:34

I think the way the evening might should go is like this... PSVANE 5AR4 for the first several hours while you get all of your audiophile needs satisfied.  It's perfection redefined. It's how we want the amplifier to sound. The resolution and speed is glorious -- but -- then after a break and a scotch or a tea you should come back and put in the ACME 274 which would be like putting on soft slippers. The evening could then shift from how perfect everything sounds to how lucid a 3D sound stage can get. The softness is surreal and deep. It sucks you in and it's like boating on the lake without hitting any white caps. Serene and perplexingly there-there. You can reach out and touch it. It's more real that you, because you can get out of the listening chair and it doesn't shift around. It stays in the same 3D space and your perspective on it changes as you walk around in the room. When this level of imaging dominance happens it no longer matters if your speakers are perfectly positioned or even if there are dozens of things the space that perhaps shouldn't be.  It just makes everything disappear without any of the fuss or science.

With the 300B being a directly heated tube and with me running it with old school AC filaments using a directly heated rectifier such as the 5U4 or 274B brings the output tubes to full on almost instantly. They are fully on long before the input tubes come to life so as the input tubes come to life, there is depending on the tubes often tiny muted pops or crackles, perhaps two or three during that warm up cycle.  

With a normal Zen Triode Amplifier using a triode wired pentode the tube is indirectly heated and therefor soft starts around the same speed as the input tubes which are also indirectly heated.  So you can see the difference.  This is why it is ideal to use 5AR4 in this amplifier.  The output tubes will not come on until much later in the warm up cycle and the meters will show this as you watch them waiting for them to jump to 60 or 70 mA. The result being whatever subtle pops or clicks on start up will be reduced or entirely eliminated.

If I were using circuit boards I could create a delayed high voltage circuit using a relay or large transistor to switch on the B+ well after the input stage has come to life.  I could actually create it with obsolete tubes all point to point as well but now we need a larger chassis and more money... But it would be a lot easier to just use circuit boards.  And if I'm going to use a transistor to switch the B+ on or off then I may as well hang some more on there to regulate the voltage against the dynamic current draws of the amplifier.  If I'm doing that I may as well put constant current sources on the cathodes of the driver tubes with more transistors.  Add a few ribbon cables and plastic connectors, the capacitance of the traces on the board and the artifacts of all the transistors that are "just helping out" and you have a modern day sharp grainy less refined artificially dynamic 2 dimensional mess. And it would just be a waiting game to see how long it took to break or malfunction.
Whoops, did I say that out loud?      

This amplifier is turning out to be a real joy to experience and live with over time. So responsive to tubes and and generally hard to make sound bad.

It is has given me some pause to realize that the tube is genuinely unique in the world of hi-fi because it well pre-dates hi-fi. It was designed for human voice. Rolled off on both ends and somehow slow and fast and the same time to keep the tone and textures in tact no mater the distortion content of the transmission. I can pretend to be a fly on the wall during it's development and watching them find those windows of ideals for the application and get a tube that was forgiving and generiously revealing of tone so that the people on the other end of the phone thousands of miles and hundreds of tubes away could recognize the caller. If we used video tubes that had the resolution to pick up a nat fart on Mars coast to coast calls would have been largely noise with some resemblance of a voice in the background unless the caller was next door.

It is an impressive tube for what it is and I honestly look forward to hearing the Decware family report on it's sound as these begin to ship. It is definitely an amp that I could live with as my only amplifier. Especially if I was trying to epitomize the experience of tube sound. Haha, I almost have to laugh as I listen to it tonight on a wide variety of music at how far away this sound is compared to an audio video receiver...  

Music really does sound more real. It has more hit. More weight. You don't have to turn it up. It's Class A1. It delivers nearly 100% usable power. It has tone, and is dynamically more organic and representative of real life than any transistor ever made. Even Mosfet's. Exception might be some of Nelson Pass's rare jewels that he collects and turns into audio art. But most of the busy feedback laden crap out there doesn't play in this world.

The truth is this is what people who want to experience the tube sound are looking for and it is the exact opposite of solid state in that is has 5 times the density and does not have to be turned up to smash your face. It has depth, air and space. It is not flat. it is the opposite of flat.

So in the end I feel that with the 5AR4 rectifier and 6N5P driver tubes and the NOS 12AU7 of your choice you can use the voice switch not to mention the output impedance switch to make this amp sound exactly the way you want it to within the Decware window of experimentation.  No matter what you do you can't change the sound enough to make it sound like not a Decware amp.

I am listening to it tonight on the 88dB house speakers.  It has to be turned up to 3/4 witch is as loud it can go without high distortion.  So right at 4 watts and the listening level in my room is just perfect. I wouldn't want it louder.  Bass is crushing when needed.

I know this is not the target speaker for this amplifier, but for those who just want to seriously listen, an 88Db hifi speaker with a crossover is not going to be an issue for this amplifier.  It does not require an "easy to drive impedance" so it will drive most speakers just fine to a modest listening volume.  

WWW   IP Logged
acousticsguru
Verified Member

Reply #377 - 06/12/22 at 20:46:32

Speaking of soft start, that is what GZ34 Metal Base is: historically the ultimate version of 5AR4 ever built (in Heerlen in the Netherlands for a four-year period between 1953-57). One might say it's irrelevant as these are rare and expensive NOS, just saying, anyone interested in hearing what an amplifier circuit or tube is capable of given the cleanest and most stable power (as Allen Wright used to say it's all about stability) may want to consider the option. Given an average longevity of 10-30k hours (allegedly put to 100k), the expense doesn't seem unreasonable.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #378 - 06/12/22 at 21:49:28

Hi David.

Sounds good. I’ll take you up on your offer to try one. Can I PM you with my shipping address?

Thank you!

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #379 - 06/12/22 at 22:58:22

Rectifier = Dynamo

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #380 - 06/12/22 at 23:49:26

I know the look of those receipts.

That’s from Andy at Vintage Tube Services.

Great tube stock if you are a patient customer.

Bought a lot of tubes from him including the circled one

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #381 - 06/13/22 at 00:06:01

Yes Johnny those were for one of my boutique guitar amps. The Mullard rectifier really opened up the Top Hat Supreme 16 Top Boost with a EF 84 channel.

I just sent you a PM

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #382 - 06/13/22 at 00:59:24

BicycleJoe, I have sent you a PM back

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #383 - 06/20/22 at 05:08:30

This Friday I gave a demo of the ZF15M's connected to the Zen Mystery Amp.  We streamed off the HOLO and played 45 RMP records.  It was fun, and sounded bodacious and bigger than life.  It was almost epic in the grand scheme of things.

So this weekend I decided it would be fun to put the 300B amp in place of the ZMA and see what happened!  I played an album and the bass was extra heavy.  After not very long I had to admit it was like a giant sponge.  Not very impressive.  How can it not sound tight on these speakers, the tightest ones in the whole damn room?  How did it sound tight before?  You know the mental meltdown.

Honestly with the weekend I've had with father Murphy and things breaking for no reason... anything is actually possible so why should this be an exception?  

After about 20 minutes of trying to find something I liked about this combination that sounded so good on the the ZMA, I got the feeling that I needed to change the driver tubes. As you may remember on the other end of the room I had most recently been using 6N5P that on those speakers I rather liked. This may have been bad luck with the particular tubes I grabbed, but since bass was the problem I knew we needed more control so back to the 6N6P.

Problem solved.  After a 20 minute warmup, problem really solved.  Amp and speakers are gone, and I am just hearing the music again.

That was a disarming experience.

Right now I'm pretty sure 6N6P should be the tube ; ). Pink Panther is sounding and feeling completely real. Nice.  

Had that amplifier sounded like it did tonight in a customers home, it would have come back. This is why I am rotating between 15 pairs of speakers. As I said, living with it and discovering it's likes and dislikes etc.

So I think with the voicing for the WE300B tubes, the driver tubes are going to be the key. Finding the ones that sound good with the widest range  of speakers and source components.  

One big change from last week is that I went from a stock Cambridge CXNv2's RCA jacks directly into the amp, so 2 volts was the most it was ever going to see. On this end of the room we can take it as high as 10v with the various sources available. This allows me to play with different gain structures in front of the gain structure I have already preset in the amplifier itself. The only other amplifier with an extra gain stage like this one is the Mini Torii.  

So basically I am trying to hear it on CD, Streaming through the CXNv2, Streaming through the HOLO, Reel to Reel Tape on two different machines, and my Vinyl Rig both with and without preamps, gain stages and so on. All of these combinations are against all the speakers is my personal goal to release the amp. Has to sound good in all those scenarios.

Also I now realize some of the magic of this tubes extra liquid sound which makes me understand why when I was 10 years old picking up a phone that was the size and weight of a small barbell that you could hammer a nail into the wall with, the person on the other end was so smooth and clear thanks to the 300B tubes.  Nothing like today.

So in summary, a bit of a scare... I managed to hear the amp sound like a complete failure for the first time without doing anything to it.  Just found a speaker and room setting and gain structure that the 6N5P couldn't negotiate well.  6N6P is just handling it.  It's glorious.  No more boom,  and it's deep, clean and clear with great depth and decay.

Still, I have never had this extreme of a difference between combinations before with any of our other amplifiers, so this has been enlightening. lt just shows how easy it is to drift into a non ideal tube when rolling for a given pair of speakers and upstream components.  It was the non-ideal aspect that made you like the sound with a given group of speakers, but then the big honest efficient speakers call it out.

Whenever I hook this amp up on any of the above potential combinations I want it to make me feel like I don't want to turn it off.  So good I don't care about the other amps or what might be better. So good I just want to keep listening to it day after day after day after week after month and so on.  That's another one of my real world tests.

Hmmm.

The soggy bass I blamed on the ACME 274B....  hang on.

Not as snappy as the 5AR4 with the lower voltage drop resulting in the higher tube bias, but certainly not soggy, or even soft, just ultra smooth.  The soundstage as before gets lucid and bigger and everything in the midrange and spacial textures evolves to a new level.  So clearly the 6N6P on this end of the room is making the 274B sound pretty romantic.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #384 - 06/20/22 at 05:17:17

Yes, the sound is making me continually walk in there.  It is so damn good right now....  If you had let me hear this 20 years ago and told me it was digital I would have laughed in your face.  The dimensionality... it's reminds me of computer monitors when they went from 256 colors to millions so the shadings are nearly infinite.  It helps you hear around the images hanging there in space.  You can tell they are 3D because you can hear around them, they have presence in space.

Besides the insane imaging this is probably going to go down as the most musical amplifier Decware ever made.  I'm still not sure if I like it better than our other amps which tend to me more gone.  But then I feel like I am hearing more information from this amp, so perhaps it is the one that is more gone.  The fact that I can't figure this out is somewhat telling.

Happy listening!

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #385 - 06/21/22 at 04:24:36

"I now realize some of the magic of this tube's extra liquid sound which makes me understand why when I was 10 years old picking up a phone that was the size and weight of a small barbell that you could hammer a nail into the wall with, the person on the other end was so smooth and clear thanks to the 300B tubes.  Nothing like today."

I absolutely remember when I first heard the change from a real phone system to what we have today. Even as a child I was disgusted.

That is great news about how the voice can be changed so much by swapping the drive tube to adapt to different speakers. "the most musical amplifier Decware ever made".  Good days.

Brian

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #386 - 06/21/22 at 22:17:20

I may have mentioned further up the thread that I did the math on the comparable 300 B tubes available and their prices.

The Western Electric 300 B comes with a five year guarantee, at most all the other tubes come with a 90 day guarantee if any.

So if your average listening is conservatively three hours a day for 5 years 1825 days 1825*1500 = $1.22 per day or 41 cents an hour. But feel free to keep it powered on 24 hours a day since you have a guarantee.

Even though the initial investment has some sticker shock it turns out to be the most reasonably priced bargain in the 300 B class.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #387 - 06/24/22 at 05:49:48

I was looking at an early 1961's Western Electric 300B
one pair is $1500 and one pair is $10,000

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #388 - 06/24/22 at 08:45:50

So Bicycle J., which pair of 300B's did you buy? Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #389 - 06/24/22 at 09:00:31

My order was for an RCA 5U4G 1940
I was also inquiring for Metal Jacket JAN 6L6, 6SJ7 Matched Pairs and a

I need Clean Tested & Matched Metal Jacket Tubes circa WWII

If I needed 300B's I would definitely go for the current Western Electric offering. with a 5 year guarantee they seem to me the most economical.

Steve should make the investment on the 1961 pair and write it off as a business R&D expense. Cheesy though the warrantee is only 90 days

Quote:
All of our tubes are guaranteed to perform as described. We fully test each and every tube to ensure this reliability. The warranty for NOS (New) tubes is 90 days from date of purchase

The usual suspects I got a good stash

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #390 - 06/24/22 at 12:30:11

I got the new WEs (two) about 5 weeks ago. So far I've put around 50 hours per week. Yes they sound great but they take a long time to open up.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #391 - 06/30/22 at 03:57:51

Quote:
I was looking at an early 1961's Western Electric 300B
one pair is $1500 and one pair is $10,000

As I understand it, the new ones are better because they use 'graphine' coating which was not possible back then.

But, then what is better?  Probably test more consistently, last longer, but it would be anyone's guess how we would compare the sound of two equally burned-in tubes.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #392 - 07/01/22 at 22:55:15

Looking at the real McCoy Western Electric 300B structure and the WE300B reissue they are very similar while other exotic 300B tubes from other sources have a decidedly different appearance  I can't wait to be in the room with your new amplifier. I went to an audio exhibit  showing in a gallery museum today they used 300 B Amps.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #393 - 07/02/22 at 02:51:22

Apparently the new ones are really fast ; )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #394 - 07/02/22 at 03:36:06

UPDATE JUL 1

Well I've been listening to the amp on both ends of the room.  I used Corner Horns, HDT Silver 8's, ZF15L, ZF15M, the House Speakers, Tube Tots, the soon to be released T6, the DNA with Diatone 610. I still have more to go but I spend a good amount of time with each. My main curiosity during this phase of testing is my preference for the voicing switch setting and how or if it will change.

Initially when everything was new I had a overwhelming preference for one setting because it layered back so much better and then weeks later it changed to other and has so far stayed there despite making a second round with this group of speakers. So it wasn't so much the speakers as I thought, but perhaps the tube breaking in, and the amplifier itself. Now when I A/B the two voices I like them both, not a strong preference for one over the other like when it started.  So between this switch, the output impedance switches and playing with input and driver tubes and the rectifier I have been able to make this amp sound all the ways I want.

There is a sense of ease about this amplifier knowing the output tubes last so long.  Makes me not care about running it 16 hours a day.  In fact if you don't you're going to wait a long time to hear what the WE300B tube actually sounds like.

I will say overall my highly triggered ear for edges, grain, pinching, shout, have been on vacation with this amp because it just doesn't seem to ever do it with decent recordings which is pretty much all I listen to.  Still puzzled as to how it creates this illusion, or does everything else tend to take it too far?  Which way is actually more real?  That's the other part of this testing besides the switch that hope to answer before it's all over.  

This amp would be the holy grail on compression drivers.   On my House Speakers with those amazing tweeters I get captivated by the pin point precision... the highs just sparkle like fireflies in the rain on a warm summer evening and not like sparks off a grinding wheel.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #395 - 07/02/22 at 04:03:30

Tonight the rotation has landed back on the DNA with the Diatone 610 which are 12 feet apart (see pics earlier in this thread) and the imaging and density is just hard to believe.  It sounds like the House Speakers are playing only an even larger soundstage.  Such an enjoyable combination.

If this combo can get me off in a 17 x 27 room setting 9 feet away it should be great in most rooms.  It's high on my favorites list.  If you have a smaller space this one would rapidly rise to the top of that list.  The speakers are so good in my room that I would be able to retire with them as my only speaker without experiencing any withdrawal which is saying a lot.  The more I listen to this driver in this cabinet the more I am realizing how good it is.  Boy it gets voices so right, and sax and drums, space and scale you would only expect from a large speaker.

Compared to the first two versions of this DNA design this latest one - the DNA610 - is easily twice as good as its predecessors.  It's got a really magic sound, and that's always exciting when it happens in a smallish package like this that you can easily move around.  

The demo for these would be to place them 20 inches away from the side walls toed into the listening chair in a large room like this so that there is 12 or more feet of empty space between the speakers.  Put a pair of nice plants on top of the speakers.   Have them 6 feet from the front wall so that the listening chair is expecting speakers to be placed in the large empty space in the room behind the plants.   That's basically what I have going on here and it's pretty impressive.  These speakers on a SAX with this amplifier are the best I have ever heard a SAX.  It just nails it.

Sorry I go on about the speaker but that is because it is expressing the amplifier in an unexpected way.  The speakers will sell for less than the amplifier and be small, so the appeal in this combination is going to be strong.  It's so good I makes me consider a package.  I didn't just say that, I just thought it, and that is just to demonstrate how damn good this combination sounds.

Have a great weekend!

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #396 - 07/02/22 at 13:49:11

So great to hear about the amp as it seasons. I'm eager to read how it may sound with HR-1 speakers.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #397 - 07/02/22 at 15:15:38

Now, why would that be, Lon?
Wink

I have been looking at ways to get a ZTPre with all the fixin's once a couple of things are done, but this could be next. All my triggers are set, except for the big one $$.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #398 - 07/04/22 at 18:24:16

Anyone willing to hazard a guess, as to when the first Sarah will hit the bench?

IP Logged
Beni
Verified Member

Reply #399 - 07/04/22 at 19:51:03

It will be mine in about 6 month.
Smiley

LINN LP12 Klimax, LINN Urika II, LINN Klimax DSM Organik, ZR2-25th, Silent Angel N8 + F1, Sonore Optical, Roon, Synology, McIntosh MCD751, SEWE300B, Torii Mk V-25, McIntosh C53/MC462, Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, PSI Audio AVAA C20 Bass Trap
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24
Send Topic Print