Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:35:54 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 140701 times)
Kirk
Verified Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #300 - 05/13/22 at 12:48:52

Hey Steve.  Any more insight into "hum" from this amp?  I would run this amp with my K-horns (~105db sensitivity).  If there is hum, would it be audible from the speakers when music is playing but quiet?

SE84UFO2, CSP3, ZP3/ZMC2, Klipsch Jubilees, ZLC, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Modwright), Rega Planar 3, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, GR-Research and Decware cables
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 05/13/22 at 15:24:29

I have a question about the output. You've mentioned different outputs from 2 to 8 watts when discussing varied levels of distortion. Does wattage output change in relation to the volume knob? IE, dimed out is 8 watts and somewhere around halfway is 4?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #302 - 05/13/22 at 15:31:39

I just checked out the dimensions of the ZF15L and those things are huge.  They take up more space than Klipsch Cornwalls.  Wow!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #303 - 05/13/22 at 16:59:14

The 15L are big but they don't seem quite so imposing due to their relative thinness.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #304 - 05/13/22 at 17:06:08

Quote:
I have a question about the output. You've mentioned different outputs from 2 to 8 watts when discussing varied levels of distortion. Does wattage output change in relation to the volume knob? IE, dimed out is 8 watts and somewhere around halfway is 4?

Thanks.

No volume controls are logarithmic as are speakers.  

With a 1 volt input signal, vol control maxed (5:00) the output is 5 watts. Vol control at (3:30) is 4 watts.  Vol control (2:00) is 1 watt.  Vol control at (noon) is around a 1/4 watt.

Now if your question is will it sound half as loud when the volume control is somewhere around half way when compared against all the way up, the answer is yes.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #305 - 05/13/22 at 17:38:03

Perfect, thanks for the explanation, Steve!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #306 - 05/13/22 at 21:20:31

Everyone seems to be understanding the design except DancingSea who is hung up on the word EQ and is using it to get other peoples panties in a knot who read the SteveHoffman forum and trust me that is not productive or helpful to the design.  

Quote:
Steve has not explained anything on the forum that meets my standards. He has repeatedly stated that he is incorporating part of the ZRock2 (an equalizer/ gain booster) into the 300B. He has explained that the ZRock2 adds both gain, and equalization beginning at the 12 0'clock position. And that the effects of that equalization/ gain is not heard until the 1:15 position on the ZRock2 dial.

Unity gain starts at 12 and by 1:15 equalization just begins to become detectable. That is what is considered the magic spot in a ZROCK2.  If you measure this spot it measures within 1dB of flat. I don't understand why it is so confusing.

The reason I said I had no plans to mention the ZROCK2 circuit I used in the gain stage is because people could have the same missundstanding and get hung up on the term EQ.

If you look at the frequency response I just published it is concurrent with what I've stated which is that the frequency response is within 2 dB of flat.  Obviously the response is EQ'd by 1 db in the low and high frequencies... or it is just a natural anomaly of the circuit design. We won't know until I bypass it and remeasure.  

Please look at the Stereophile measurements of 300B (or any) amplifiers. There is a simulated speaker load, usually the black line, along with the standardized measurements. Guess what, it's not flat. No moving coil speaker is. Do we call our speakers EQ'd. I guess we better so that no one thinks the manufactures are hiding stuff ; )

I could if I wanted make an amplifier that had the opposite simulated response so that the Stereophile simulated speaker load measures a flat line.  That would give the speaker a flatter response so you see the rabbit hole here I assume.

No offense DancingSea , I read all your posts on SteveHoffman forum. Demonizing me in other forums because my transparency isn't up to your standard is a good way to get on my bad side.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #307 - 05/13/22 at 22:14:59

I'm new around here, but from what I can gather, Steve's never kowtowed to the expectations of the primped and preened audiophile community. It appears that he simply builds killer freaking products and people fall in line to get one.

In fact, his iconoclastic approach is what initially drew me in. Some of these things include, but are not limited to: reasonable prices, refusal to participate in hyped-up "audiophile" fanfare events, inviting the masses to his house for a yearly pilgrimage, detailed, transparent development threads, lack of pretension or elitism, and perhaps, best of all, entertaining descriptions such as "I'll set it to that magic spot which is flat, and just shit my pants at what the three components create!" Classic Steve.

I don't see many of those kinds of things coming out of the status quo audiophile community, thus, it's safe to assume that Steve couldn't care less about what they may or may not think about his creative process.

And if he doesn't care, perhaps, we shouldn't either. He's done okay without our help thus far.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 05/14/22 at 04:54:47

"dummy load.  The name comes from people who think this is how an amplifier measures on speakers"            

Grin Thank You, Steve. I enjoyed that one!

Brian

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #309 - 05/14/22 at 05:58:34

I think it’s great both he and I love to have our faces melted off when listening to his gear. Chris area never sounded so good. I’m Going to Texas. I can honestly say that I have a very difficult time understanding how I would get as much enjoyment out of my audio system if it wasn’t for  Decware. Not just providing amazing gear but providing an open and entertaining location to learn. This system is so musically involving- it’s more of a musical experience rather than just listening to music.I Already have a 25th anniversary ZMA and I can’t wait until Im listening to one is Steve’s 300B’s.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #310 - 05/14/22 at 12:37:36

Quote:
Good people can have errors in judgment. Smart people learn from those errors and change course rather than double down on defensive and useless postures.

DS, above is a quote from your fingers. Please take note and adjust.

From my point of view a buffer gain tube stage was added to the 300b created by Steve Deckert and can be adjusted by tube rolling. That is all.......

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #311 - 05/14/22 at 14:32:14

I have a ZROCK2 that sits in front of a non-Decware amp and it makes the sound big and wide which to me is the way I like it.

So, question, this new technique of adding part of ZROCK2 tech into the 300b, will that technique ever make its way into the other Decware amps?  What would it do inside an SE84UFO?  Or, into one of the TORIIs?  Would it make sense there?

Steve, have you stumbled onto a new idea that could work on your other offerings?

And, could you put this bit of tech into my war horse blue Torii?  Yeah, that's the ticket.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #312 - 05/14/22 at 17:51:33

None of the other Decware amplifiers required a second gain stage to bring the input sensitivity up to a useful level like the 300B amp did. It was because it needed an additional stage (tube) that we went down this path. For our other amps it would be best to just buy a ZROCK2.

Additionally, if I did the same thing to our other amps, it would be a flat measuring non-adjustable ZROCK2 which means it's not a ZROCK2. And even then if you wanted the tone shaping abilities of a ZROCK2 you would still have to use one just as would be the case with this 300B amplifier.

My whole fascination with the ZROCK2 circuit in the first place is what it does to the imaging and sound stage and midrange tone. That is not a function of altering (EQing) the frequency response because it happens before the ZROCK2 really starts shaping. It's just that I knew the combination used in that ZROCK2 gain stage with the particular caps and resistors and voltages and so on creates (extracts or reveals) a coherency that is not there without it. As I tried to convey before, it's more about the phase & timing effects across frequencies created by the values and placement of the parts than it is about actually changing the frequency response.

Every amplifier is it's own device. What works in one will work differently in another. There are no plans to try to repeat this in our other amplifiers because we would have to add another tube to each model and you would still have to buy a ZROCK2 if you wanted to do any shaping.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 05/14/22 at 19:19:08

Looking over this thread sidetrack, though informative, it has been draining, and I hope I can help wind it up.

It has been made clear from many angles that associating Steve's use of the gain stage "magic" he adopted for this 300B design, as EQ, is not at all what this driver stage is about, or how it was described. And one reason this thread swayed some into audiophile "controversy," was probably real interest in learning. But getting a little too stuck on a “mental association” with a ZRock gain stage as EQ…. This was never real!

I can get the confusion, the ZRock used by many for signal enhancement and EQ. But, as this discussion reveals, the ZRock2 is able to be used specifically for gain stage improvements, the way many of us use it…. And there are others who like to enhance bass a little, or a lot, and even cut treble with higher settings. But, as Steve described when first discussing this gain innovation for the 300B, the signal refining gain stage that he discovered while developing the ZRock is NOT the EQ part of the ZRock. So, on its own, and fine-tuned for this purpose, it is a different thing than a ZRock altogether.

So why continue to feel and discuss EQ as real in this implementation? To me… seems in most any area of life, once our minds are relatively made up, it can be too easy to be reluctant around perceiving reality if it does not fit our determined ideology.

At the same time, we know audiophile biases and “controversies” can grow into entrenched collective ideologies that may contain enough fragments of the truth to appear real, but not be the whole truth, so not true…. And strongish bias against EQ presented as “purist,” can feel "real" for many. So having concerns about audiophile biases being such that a few vocal folks can make something healthy toxic, and empower biases of others with mistrust, anger, and unthought through “beliefs,” this is clearly real.

But when modifications of reality upset and “discredit” innovative development, to me that is simply self-defeating to our audio community… contributing to holding development back, and in turn, holding us all back from a more complete musical experience. So I get how concerns over ideologies around EQ can be potentially damaging. But at the same time, EQ has no real association with Steve’s 300B amp design innovations….EQ never having been considered…..

And God forbid if this semantic and understanding "controversy" were to cause Steve to talk less freely in development threads….I think not likely Smiley, but I hope not because I really enjoy how free he is with conveying his excitement and discoveries.

Related, “less is always more” can be way too simplistic. From what I experienced with amp modifications, my Torii IV now has quite a few more parts than stock… but by any audiophile parameters, it sounds more complex and richly revealing, resolving, and musical due to the careful tuning and additions of complimentary parts. I started with an amp that was “purist” in design, and really well done at that. But by upgrading a bunch of those already resolving and musical parts and wires, with a little more transparent and resolving ones, it adds up, and the amp became more resolving and transparent than it was. And this in turn left room for adding parts if they too were musical and transparent, and without a net loss in "purity" of sound. In fact, with careful cap bypass tuning in the power supply, and signal path, we can often considerably improve all aspects of the sound by using more of the right parts in the right places. This conceptually proves to me, that with Steve’s tuning skills, this gain stage “addition” is very likely a beautiful innovation by most any audio standards, and one in a long chain of innovation for him.

Also related to this sidetrack and how ideas can modify reality... Looking at EQ, my take on the negative audiophile biases, are a lot like most of these negating biases.... not very well thought through or explored ideologies with some merit, in some cases. But often expressed in aggressive and macho ways by folks who like to argue and prove “why” they do not like something, or can't hear something, they tend to present their opinion as reality for all of us! Not a great concept since we all have very different system/rooms, some very resolving, and others pretty unbalanced and masked... And as much, since our perceptions, hearing abilities, and discernment skills can vary pretty dramatically…. there are a lot of ways and reasons that can cause one not to hear what another might hear totally clearly, or for one to be more skilled at tuning than another.

And having explored fine tuning EQ in depth from within my very good player software (adjusting the files before DAC, and therefore not having phase issues, additional components or cables, etc, and as a supplement to room work), I really love and depend on EQ. On the whole, it may be my most important "finishing tool.” Yet I can imagine how some may not prefer it, especially if done mechanically with measurements, and not by sound.  

And in reality, when compared to decent room treatment work, isn't room treatment in many ways a form of EQ, tuning room EQ issues to tastes (or measurements, or both) with diffusors and absorption.... Does that make room treatment bad if well done? This does point to another potential difficulty with EQ though.... the amount of EQ “needed,” if more subtle, can make system/room refining EQ easier. But if the system/room is way off, it could be difficult, maybe even impossible on its own to seamlessly integrate musically. Bottom line though, with so many variabilities, how can any assumptions about a potentially good tool be absolute?

Finally, to me, old beliefs are not as simple as they seem, and I think it is wise to consistently reevaluated on personal levels if we want to develop more optimal musical experiences more easily and quickly.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #314 - 05/14/22 at 22:55:29

will - very nicely said - cheers - scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #315 - 05/15/22 at 02:28:29

"And God forbid if this semantic and understanding "controversy" were to cause Steve to talk less freely in development threads….I think not likely, but I hope not because I really enjoy how free he is with conveying his excitement and discoveries so freely."

I'd like to dwell on this great point for a moment...

Steve - for every person who contributes/writes often on this forum, there's likely five folks like me who have read nearly everything -- but don’t chime in.

I've thoroughly enjoyed following your creation process, either in real-time (like here) or when I bought my SE84UFO3 monos and then took to the forums (again) to understand your goals and process of building the SE84UFO3s a few years ago. It's like time traveling back to the days they were developed. What an enjoyable read, especially when my monoblocks were in a FedEx truck on the way to my house in a few days.  Getting this sort of scoop is rare! I'd argue this is partially why the proverbial Decware 'stock' is so high.

We have a more emotional connection to the product when we get to enjoy this entire "audiophile" experience. Reading about the creation then finally hearing it in YOUR room is, simply put, fun as hell.

Keep letting us peak behind the curtains. It keeps us engaged, builds the community, and should allow no sensible person to think you have deceived anyone - with so much of your design process literally hyperlinked on the product pages and permanently filling hundreds of forum walls.

BTW - My SE84UFO3's with upgrades sound blanking fantastic!  Keep being excellent with each design Steve.

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #316 - 05/15/22 at 04:50:13

Steve,

Will these bad boys hit the market cherried out, like a UFO25? Or will high-end caps and other 25th stuff be an add on?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #317 - 05/15/22 at 05:07:42

All of your support is well appreciated. Even DancingSea whose initial concern started out trying to have my back which I deeply appreciated.

So tonight I am listening to the Holo Audio MAY dac driving a ZBIT connected to the Sarah 300B amplifier. The speakers are the ZF15L because basically I wanted to answer the hum question and I needed these 100dB speakers to see where it's at. Yes, I have my measurements but it's something I just needed to hear again. Last time I really paid any attention to it I was using different tubes.

Yes, you can hear hum on 100dB speakers in a quiet room but it's gentle. If you're triggered by hum, don't do it. At least not at this point in the design. Perhaps I will experiment with some high ripple DC supplies and see what happens.

Anyway, this combination is just intoxicating. So deep and rich and big and smooth, and vibrant. I really love these speakers on low power gear! The bass is just unbelievably good with this combination. The best analogy I can give you is that going from a regular hi-fi speaker to these is like going from a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive big block with high torque at low RPMs and enough horsepower to keep you well ahead of the high RPM whizzbanger barking at your bumper.

After checking the hum I thought time to get back into checking the bass and performance, so back to electronica so I can study those leading edges and the almost infinite space that can be created in this make believe world.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #318 - 05/15/22 at 05:32:15

Why does he listen to this?

I am listening for anything bad to happen. I am listening for mud. I am listening to how the amp deals with excessive heaviness. If it doesn't sound excessively heavy then it's doing well. I am listening for textures and seeing how long those can hold my attention against such a predictable and monotonous / repetitious experience. Is the amp deep enough to make this sustainable over time without having to change albums.

It's easy to evaluate bass performance on something tight and staccato but how does it fair on the opposite?  Something slow or veiled would sound muddy on this.

This is why.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #319 - 05/15/22 at 05:47:23

Quote:
Steve,

Will these bad boys hit the market cherried out, like a UFO25? Or will high-end caps and other 25th stuff be an add on?

Thanks.

Thanks for the question. My feeling is that the Anniversary mods, of which this is fully pimped out with, are needed to keep the tube from becoming an overly dominant part of the signature. The UFO25 is effortlessly extended, whereas this tube really isn't so we need to keep things extra fast throughout the circuit to wake this tube up a bit.

So this may be the only way it is offered.  I don't worry about these things yet, because they all come together in the final hours before it goes on the web site.

Getting back to hum, as I listen to these 100dB speakers on this amp, I can't imagine wanting to listen to it on different speakers because the sound is so over the top and you can't even begin to detect hum until the music has stopped and your brain has settled and your room is at 40dB noise floor.  Many people are going to wonder if they should avoid 100dB or higher speakers and for those who I detect are serious music lovers the answer is go for it!  You won't care.  The only way it would bother you is if you enter into this with the prerequisites that if you can hear hum it means something is wrong and or that you can't enjoy the sound.  Sadly there are many of us that fall into this box.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #320 - 05/15/22 at 06:16:38

Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be perfectly fine with 25th mods baked into the price!

This amp sounds like it's shaping up to be a real beast. I, like everyone else in this thread, love reading the updates. The whole engineering process is shockingly interesting to read about.

I'm hoping to swing some Cornwall IVs sometime around the time this amp ships...or likely a little bit after. At 102db, I'm hoping to tap into some of that magic you're talking about with the 300b Sarah!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #321 - 05/15/22 at 18:38:16

Quote:
The only way it would bother you is if you enter into this with the prerequisites that if you can hear hum it means something is wrong and or that you can't enjoy the sound.

Steve, this hum, is that sort of like that 60hz cycle you hear with single coil guitar pickups?  The kind of thing that nobody hears while the music is going?  If that's the case, who cares about that?  That hum is livable to get the sound you want.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #322 - 05/15/22 at 18:51:47

Quote:
Posted by: Matchstikman      Posted on: Today at 18:38:16

...If that's the case, who cares about that?

Quote:
Posted by: Steve Deckert      Posted on: Today at 05:47:23

... Sadly there are many of us that fall into this box

I'm triggered by hum. Pass the candle.

I mean I'm not going to get this amp regardless, but I really appreciate that Steve has the integrity to mention something that a lot of people would ignore if they noticed at all.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
DLM
Verified Member

Reply #323 - 05/20/22 at 15:41:33

Hi Steve,
I've really missed your development updates for the last several days, so I thought I'd ask what might be a stupid question.  
I was wondering if you had a chance to try a different source with the Sarah 300B like your TT/ZP3 ?
Thanks,

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #324 - 05/20/22 at 16:44:52

Me too CAJames, hum can be a hard one for me. Years of up and down subtle hum with my Torii, and getting it more fully solved a few years ago, when it shows up, I realize I have grown less able to take that frequency range. Putting a DAC I had not been using for a while, I got a ground loop recently. I could hear it from the seat a little, and realized I am indeed "triggered" by hum.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #325 - 05/20/22 at 16:53:10

Yeah, I too am fiending for another update! I love getting on here and seeing a monolith of text written by Steve...especially the ones that come after midnight.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #326 - 05/23/22 at 04:51:07

UPDATE MAY 22 / 2022

Experiencing it

We’ve come to the point where there is no more soldering or experimenting. Just experiencing it now. Experiencing it on my huge library of speakers. Experiencing it with different cables. Experiencing it with the different tubes. I am doing the same thing you would be doing had you just unpacked one a week ago.

Living with it

This is where I really know if I got it right. How consistent is it across this wide range of speakers and with different sources, and all the other variables. I am used to this, and have a reference with all our other amps, so the bar is set high. If it passes, it will be because I didn’t think about it.

Different speakers

So far there have been some interesting observations with respect to synergy. Sadly I didn’t invent something that can be synergistic with everything but it's always fun to try... That said it’s far from picky. All of our speakers sounds great with it so far, it’s just about “at what levels”. The Zen Master Series baffles will play loud with low distortion and there is an amazing synergy there. The power and scale is there for anything. No subs required. 

Smaller less efficient speakers in the mid to low 90’s sound great at low power. Incredible in fact. But because the amp has such a long ramp for clipping, it is easy to turn them up louder than you should and then become puzzled why they sound a bit compressed. Interestingly, the least efficient at 88dB is my House Speakers featuring the top of the line Scan Speak drivers and my own crossover. These actually get louder or to phase it more accurately, put more music in the room than the Tube Tots with the same 4 watts from this particular amplifier.

I will continue on this path until I have tried all my speakers.  

Think of this process like going to the same concert hall and listening to the same artists but each time you are setting in a different seat. With this many perspectives on the music (recording) you are certain to come to a higher level of understanding of the music. In this case, the amplifier.

The EQ that isn’t there…. Tube has rolled response, now it doesn’t.

As I mentioned in my prior updates, I took over 60 measurements for my own knowledge which turned out to be very interesting for reasons I discussed. All of these were taken into an inductive load instead of a resistive “dummy” load. Since the dummy load is the standard that people are used to when making comparisons, I will be re-measuring the amp on the other station with the resistive load and evaluating the differences. In any case, Because 300B amplifiers measure so poorly compared to many other amplifiers, I will be publishing the full specs and measurements when I do the web page. Think of it as a de-knotting tool for your panties in the spirit of full disclosure. ; )

You will see that many 300B amps suffer into 4 ohm loads compared to 8 ohms and 2 ohms isn’t even considered. It’s not the difference in power across these impedances but rather the changing frequency response and distortion. The tendency I saw in several amps was to dramatically roll the top end as the impedance drops. Holly crap batman… it’s a good thing I didn’t know this or the tendency to become microphonic for the past 30 years because I certainly would have used it to bash 300B tubes in defense of Decware’s choice to go with a $20, 2 watt tube instead. A tube which btw was $2 ea. in 1998 when I found it.

click to enlarge

By some miracle this amp measures the opposite and measures the same from 2 ohms to 16 ohms. That makes it a TRUE BONAFIDE ZEN TRIODE AMPLIFIER. All Zen Triode Amps can drive a 2 ohm speaker without sounding like crap. This is going to make it a lot more honest in the real world compared to these other amps I looked at. So that is exciting. It happens naturally, no complex crap to make it happen. When I say complex crap the image in my mind is a circuit board full of relays and logic chips to rearrange  an EQ circuit differently for each setting of the output taps… a true sonic nightmare.

The bass, mid bass, midrange is within .02dB of perfectly flat into this inductive load! Then a mild presence rise in the treble that we can hear. Couldn't ask for better with a 300B.

A preamp makes your source sound better - also can be that magic bullet for imaging and sound stage depth.

And this is where the meat of tonights update lies.  It is no secret that Decware amplifiers sound great without a preamp. But the reason that statement is true is because so many preamps sound worse than a Zen Triode Amplifier.

This is why there is so much pressure on the source component to have a “real” analogue output stage design so the music doesn’t sound lean or thin and so you get a good sound stage and imaging.

Because this tube requires more voltage swing and a preamp of sorts (additional gain stage) was needed a great opportunity presented itself. First of all, with this gain stage, it will be an absolute certainty that preamp will not be required to make the amp sound better because the gain stage IS the preamp. That means we eliminate an RCA cable and connectors and a ton of variables that come with a second component. But more importantly it means that we control everything about that signal path. How it sounds, and how it mates to the amplifier and the resulting synergy have been carefully crafted in a way that would have been unlikely to happen by chance with separate components.

This is particularly crucial when it comes to overall tone, dynamics, and imaging / soundstage depth.

Some of those rare unbelievable systems that exist on the planet are the result of years of trial and error component/cable matching until nirvana accidentally happens. That comes as the result of the preamp and cables associated with it. So this has been taken care of for you making it a unique model in the Decware line, as well as a very cost effective one.  

Low volume ultra high res listening

The imaging depth of this amplifier is world class. The depth is only possible by having that synergy between all the involved gain-stages that combine to drive an output tube. This is what I was talking about with the switch.

As you can see I eliminated the first Normal / Bypass switch a while back. Now it's just between the N normal and the : ) Enhanced. I have not liked it in the N setting on a single pair of speakers or with a single source or with or without a preamp. As predicted I will likely delete it completely.

I have been visiting the switch with each combination of speakers/cables/source and going between the normal and the enhanced setting and every time it is not even close. Normal setting is very good, but images like an amplifier with no preamp. Enhanced on the other hand is like the guy who spent 20 years finding the ultimate preamp and cable combination to create that holographic sound stage that you thought didn’t really exist - only in audiophile hyperbole or Greek mythology.

So what I am saying is that the depth of the imaging is insane. If your speakers are up against a wall, please don’t buy this amp ; (.  It would be such a waste.

All of this is happening from a stock CXNv2 and a pair of Decware RCA cables tonight. It shouldn’t but it is. This is called keeping one foot on the ground at all times. Someone asked if I have listened to vinyl or tape on it yet. HELL NO. That would be like trying to fix a water heater without tools. The tools are the mediocrity of the source components that may be used with the amplifier. Hell -- switch setting A -- the one I don’t like because it’s like someone stole the sound stage, would sound great on Vinyl as long as I never heard switch setting B. I prefer digital for setting up an amplifier due to the consistency and the obvious fact that this is what most will listen to.

Anyway, I love setting this amp up with the speakers pulled out into the middle or the room and pointed at my face only 6 or 8 feet away. It’s so holographic that it feels like being in space. Your room isn’t part of the sound like this, and the depth of each note and placement in the grid is just astonishing. It’s at this point that I begin to think about Danny from GR Research who doubled down on his controversial video calling out reviewers for not having worthy listening rooms. He was somewhat right. I wish everyone who doesn't have a well treated space would go to his place (or come here) and listen, because he knows as do I that the most audiophiles will never have a clue what is actually possible in a 3D listening experience until they take it out of their living space and create a dedicated treated space for the stereo, which means having two stereos. and another room somewhere... A big commitment to make without any real incentive.

I know for a fact that many people had they first heard what is possible would consider doing whatever it took to create a dedicated listening space that could recreate sound this way. Sadly to most stereo is like television. A flat entity associated with the boundaries of a living space where it remains out of the way so you can live in the space. AKA entertainment.

To me while I recognize that application, this is not entertainment. This is a real F-IN spaceship or time machine (same thing) that will give you an experience you didn’t know about -- that once you’ve had it you can’t not have it. It’s like learning to walk. Once you accomplish it, you can’t go back to crawling. It’s just not possible.

So I have to respect Danny for doubling down because it’s actually true for many what he says.

I bring this up, because this sculpting the imaging is the most difficult and time consuming part of the design process and we know very few will actually experience the full potential of it. As an artist I feel like I am painting in color with great contrasts and subtleties with the color palette and 80% of my audience is color blind, not because they can't see colors, but because they won't take off the shades.

Sound wise at last comparison this was getting dangerously close to the same level as the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amp, and now that it is finished and nearly burned in, it’s getting hard to imagine that it’s not as good or better. Certainly it IS better if you don’t put a preamp with the UFO25 so there you go.

The T6 speaker

Tonight I went from the House Speakers to a polar opposite, a single driver crossoverless stand-mounted bookshelf prototype called the T6.  And at these intimate volumes the silkiness and depth of each note is so satisfying it almost feels like you are listening to music in slow motion.. By that I mean if music were video, and you watched the video in super slow motion and let your mind get lost in the amazing detail of physics as the picture evolves frame by frame - like when a bullet intersects an object and the whole scene takes 30 seconds to watch…

Just a different chair in the auditorium… and I can smell the varnish on the cello. These speakers are magical on this amplifier up to a modest volume. They are around 93dB/8 ohms. If I play them any louder than the House speakers on this amp (88dB 8 ohms) I stop liking them. You can't have too many speakers when you are testing amplifiers. Anyway, you will see these jewels on the web site soon. Tube Tots were a big success, we are already nearly out of them so another 30 pair is under way. This speaker is a touch better. It's a really nice match with the 2 watt Zen Triode amps and amazing with the TORII's and ZMA.

So that's it, just listening and listening. Still amazed at the smoothness and tone's ability to dissolve my pickiness about recordings. More stuff sounds good with this amp than any other which is to say it is a more forgiving amplifier and is doing it without dumbing things down.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #327 - 05/23/22 at 05:03:49

Quote:
Steve, this hum, is that sort of like that 60hz cycle you hear with single coil guitar pickups? The kind of thing that nobody hears while the music is going?  If that's the case, who cares about that? That hum is livable to get the sound you want.

You nailed it. It's very much like choosing between sound quality 7 with no detectable hum and sound quality 11 with barely detectable hum. If you have a switch to go between the two, which neurosis will win do you think?

So this is the last measurements I did regarding hum. It is 120Hz not 60Hz and actually is measuring about the same as our other amplifiers. The dotted line is the point of inaudibility on 94dB speakers. On 100dB it is barely noticeable. The top line is the 1 watt level.

I can't hear hum on any speakers we have except the 100dB, but as I mentioned I could care less because the reward in going to 100dB is so great it just doesn't matter.  Spectacular sound, GIANT scale, HUGE dynamics.  Whoops, there's some nerd in the crowd who just went up on stage to see what guitar amp the hum is coming from... no worries they got him.

Happy listening : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #328 - 05/23/22 at 05:53:41

This is that time of night when the black hole begins to open up between the speakers... so in the interest of science I set up another test.

I put the T6 speakers less than 4.5 feet apart. They are the center pair of speakers in the picture. Have a look at the picture for a minute...

click to enlarge

I just got a sound stage from this amplifier on a pair of speakers placed 4.5 feet apart that wrapped around the room past my shoulders.  In the picture this is impossible to show because the picture isn't wide enough.  But to over simply things, picture the outside pair of speakers (DNA's) playing with a huge arc of sound outside and between the speakers.  

This is what I am hearing  and it's all from the center pair of speakers in the picture. It was so insane that the Audio Gods just showed up. No shit! Great energy is here and so with a high five and a nod off they go and here we are blessed by their interest in sound.

I have to laugh because when they left the room a few minutes later they pulled me outside myself and let me read this post from a skeptics point of view who doesn't know me and -- holy shit does it sound like a giant load of crap!!!  

But... we both know it's not a load of crap.

I agree with whoever said "if I had only two years left, I would take an amp over everything else." Same here. Absolutely. Over everything. It's the spaceship of the soul and that's how I approach it. You have to understand there is no benefit from putting this much time and passion into a design if it didn't have a higher purpose beyond money. This will create the same glow that you see in the tubes inside your heart. : )

Have a great night and happy listening! I'm almost feeling guilty.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #329 - 05/23/22 at 06:01:14

Thanks for the the update, Steve. I can't wait to own this amp. I'm still going to order the CSP325 with the 300b. Perhaps, it won't get used much since it sounds so good without a pre. Might the CSP325 give it a slight edge over not having it?

It's also really nice hearing that it's not super speaker dependent, and that we can speaker roll without wild swings in synergy. Sounds like a real winner.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #330 - 05/23/22 at 06:20:14

I am listening to it now and in my mind I can easily overlap the CSP325 and what happens is it is making the CXNv2 sound like the HOLO Audio MAY dac.  You have nothing to worry about. Everything just got juicer. You're now swimming in it which is only possible when air achieves the density of water or you achieve the mass of a house fly.

My favorite thing about that preamp is how it shows you the perfect input level from your DAC via the VU tubes.  It's a masterpiece for those who want complete control over the gain structure. But getting the source level set right is what sets the stage for everything thereafter so this preamp is designed to show you when it's ideal using those cool tube meters.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #331 - 05/23/22 at 07:00:33

Well, it's only 1:00 A.M right? Damn.

I'm not going to say it, but this is the most lucid imaging I have ever heard.  It's sneaky.  This is now making $1500 for output tubes seem like a deal.

Holy crap!

The imaging is so sick!  It's doing things that are impossible.  All over the place.  

It pisses me off that I have to sleep.  It really does.

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #332 - 05/23/22 at 07:46:20

To sleep—perchance to dream. Ay, there’s the rub!

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 05/23/22 at 13:12:20

Right on, Steve. I'm definitely good with juicier!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #334 - 05/23/22 at 13:44:53

Another exciting update. I can't wait (well I can, I will, no option) to hear this TRUE BONAFIDE ZEN TRIODE 300B SARAH AMPLIFIER with my HR-1.

I can't afford a fully treated listening space--that would be too expensive, a cost I can't pay, a divorce--but I have done the best I can which is an enlarged near-field listening space and I have achieved some amazing sound. Actually my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the mods are amazing me every day, and I've spent a few years now learning how to pilot them to the further reaches of sonic possibilities. I bet I can get even further, deeper with the Sarah.

Keep the updates coming!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 05/23/22 at 20:12:55

Hey, Steve, will the Sarah have a mono switch?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #336 - 05/23/22 at 20:25:44

Quote:
Posted by: Steve Deckert      Posted on: Today at 04:51:07

...Sound wise at last comparison this was getting dangerously close to the same level as the 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amp, and now that it is finished and nearly burned in, it’s getting hard to imagine that it’s not as good or better.

So, I guess the 6000 dollar question is why would one choose the UFO25 over the 300B, or vice versa? The watts? The preamp? The price?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #337 - 05/23/22 at 21:20:05

So, I guess the 6000 dollar question is why would one choose the UFO25 over the 300B, or vice versa? The watts? The preamp? The price?

Steve said:  "It will be quite a bit different sound so no worries there. It just has to have the Decware magic that our other amps have."

IMO Personal preference, they will have their own personality and flavor simply because the tubes are different. 300B's have their own distinct flavor as do the 6P15P-EV, 7DJ8 or 6N5P dual-triode.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #338 - 05/23/22 at 21:21:24

My best guess: The UFO is already proven. The Sarah has much to prove, and many are willing to give it a shot, solely for love the 300b tube. I've never even heard one, but people go nuts for it.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #339 - 05/24/22 at 03:25:28

CAJames:
Quote:

And, is this $6000 before the $1500 WE 300b tubes?  Which, I think it is.  It will be up to each person that orders this masterpiece to acquire their own tubes.  

Still, it may be worth every penny for some people. This would be the kind of amp that would definitely have me go to a Decfest and listen to it in person.

Unless....send it to the Audiophliac.  I've purchased things he's reviewed just on his opinion alone and so far he's been on the money.  Not that there is any reason not to trust Steve's ears but it is always nice to have a second set of educated ears throw out an opinion.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #340 - 05/24/22 at 04:18:38

I think the $6k was a reference to the UFO25th w/ CSP325. The 300b will be far less coin than that.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #341 - 05/24/22 at 04:40:00

Bluemage, maybe so, but if the Mystery amp is 6k, and this amp should outclass that one, I don't see how it wouldn't be 6k to start.  As it is, in order to get this jewel to shine it requires the best of the best components so it starts out at the high end from the start.

If this amp is out the door at 4k, that would be a steal, but that's still before the 300B tubes that are required to make this baby shine.

Just sayin', let's see what it goes for.

I'm saving my pennies on the final number.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 05/24/22 at 05:26:18

The 300b, being a single ended triode, low watt amp, is more akin to the UFO than it is the Mystery Amp. There are lots of things going on with the Mystery that account for the steeper price tag.

But yes, sonically, the 300b should be one for the books!

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #343 - 05/24/22 at 20:45:38

Steve, have you considered if there will be an option for transformer-coupled balanced XLR inputs?

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #344 - 05/25/22 at 01:02:53

Whether or not the new amp offers balanced input option, the same thing can be accomplished with the outboard device called a ZBIT, which has an output level control. A balanced input would be fixed.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #345 - 05/25/22 at 02:53:24

XLR will not be an option on this amp due to space limitations. That was one of the things I weighed when trying to decide how large to make the chassis. Since using a ZBIT is actually better than having the transformers inside the amp due to the adjustability I decided not to include it.

Speaking of the chassis, I finished the mechanical drawings tonight and sent them off to my chassis guy in Chicago.

One of the unexpected pauses with sending off the chassis design was deciding what to do about the fact that my new blue power cord won't work with it. That power cord won't bend in two directions, only one. The IEC I will be using in the 300B amp is sideways. I chose this IEC for a lot of reasons but mostly because the inside the amp is so cramped and the input jacks are so close the power cord that I wanted the IEC and even the power switch to be completely shielded inside a metal can for this project. And I have to stick with it. So the amplifier is not designed around the power cord, we will just use our other power cord that is flexible.

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #346 - 05/25/22 at 03:01:16

Steve I have ordered the DHC-3 blue power cords for The RACHAEL and ZP3, are they appropriate?

Since we are talking AC I'd also like to ask in a large 120 apt building what would you think more beneficial, a power conditioner or a regenerator?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #347 - 05/25/22 at 18:54:02

Isolation transformer to decouple you from the grid.

WWW   IP Logged
Sb66er
Verified Member

Reply #348 - 05/25/22 at 20:03:23

XLR vs ZBIT...I've been somewhat following the threads where members talk about balanced XLR and the benefits, as Paul McGowan explains, distortion/noise can't pass along that balanced XLR input to the end point...noise is more prevalent and a byproduct across RCA.  

2nd observation, XLRs are offered on Decware amps, and XLRs "can't have noise" so, of course, I ordered my Torii MK5 with XLRs...then this and other members and threads say to just use a ZBIT, does the same thing...except that idea AGAIN goes against many of what you say should be avoided...more circuits, longer runs, reducing distortion/noise at all costs...but then isn't one introducing all of the unwanted circuits, longer runs, allowing noise across the RCAs required with a ZBIT configuration?

How is introducing a ZBIT in the circuit NOT blasphemy towards doing everything that putting XLRs on an amp and a DAC is all about?   Why isn't DAC to AMP via XLR (one set of cables) superior to 3 sets of cables (2 sets being RCA) and adding boxes (ZBIT + Zrock, etc)?  

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #349 - 05/25/22 at 23:57:06

Thanks Steve Isolation transformer to decouple you from the grid

I tried to send you a PM but after I spent some time composing it and sent it to you it just disappeared saying I was not authorized or blocked I'll try and reach out to you tomorrow or make an appointment to do so

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24
Send Topic Print