Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 00:41:21 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 143562 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #150 - 05/04/22 at 16:30:07

I have posted some videos of the now finished Decware SEWE300B amplifier on YouTube.  

Here is a link to the playlist including the first two videos before the amplifier was finished.  https://youtu.be/lTrlE7k5y2Y

I made another video of the track used in the first video, but now with the completed amp for comparisons.

Also there are some great acoustic tracks that follow that.

Someone wanted to hear 'Tool' so the last video is Tools 'Fear Inoculum'.  It sounded great, best I've heard the big open baffles ZF15L rock out yet. I am still listening to it this morning. Just amazed at how good this band sounds on this combination!

Listening to Invincible at the moment and the drums are just amazing.  For metal, these guys manage to maintain a lot of horizontal headroom and space.  Really amazing to hear it sound like this.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 05/04/22 at 16:35:05

Sorry to hear the news Lon, I hope you can find solace in some lovely music.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 05/04/22 at 18:16:06

Wow. These sound clips are mind-roasting. Excellent job on the circuit design, Steve. Have you outdone yourself? Is this the NEW reference??

Really thinking about changing my order from the MKV to this!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #153 - 05/04/22 at 20:39:14

Lon,

I was saddened to read of the loss of your father.  Please accept my sympathies for you and your family.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #154 - 05/04/22 at 21:51:30

Sounds fantastic on the big baffles. Time to start building some quadratic diffusers.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #155 - 05/05/22 at 04:51:47

Yes, the pairing with the ZF15L baffles are out of this world good. It will be hard if not impossible to best this combination. That said, I'm off to try - leave no stone unturned.

I listened to the entire 80 minute album of Tool today and I have to say it was the best recorded metal group I have ever heard. Just outstanding with this combination. It was so good I'm still craving more. Going to any other speaker will not be the same because nothing has the hit of the ZF15L speakers. They make the music get serious real fast. It caught me by surprise because before I knew what happened someones YouTube request caused me to find myself transported to an audiophile quality heavy metal concert where not a single note sounded bad and things were occasionally pushed to a point of complexity that I wouldn't have thought anything could reproduce it without shifting into the dreaded sounds like crap zone...  

But, this amp is so disarmingly smooth that I thought the highs were rolling off a bit, that must be it...  They aren't.  Still, I really wanted to hear the very top end of this amplifier, so I have flipped the room and am now listening to it on my house speakers. There is no better tweeter that I have heard or midrange for that matter so they are a great tool for measuring amplifiers. Also the imaging is like 4K compared to everything else being HD.

So far the sound is just exquisite.  Prior to hooking these up, I tried the Tube Tots, but didn't like the placement where I had them, or something because they just sounded a bit rolled off on the top. Or maybe it was just the shock of changing from the ZF15L. I will revisit that again.

I can tell I'll be on the house speakers for the rest of the week. I'll make some more videos this weekend if I get time. The resolution is breathtaking... everything is so musical and juicy. It is wonderful to hear so much resolution in the top end as the ZF15L are rolled off by 15KHz and I was hoping the amp didn't sound that way on everything!

I can't really speak to how this amp compares with our other offerings, other than the midrange liquidity is more obvious. I am still wiring my brain for this new sound. It takes weeks. This sound doesn't fit into my processor and it is making it impossible to fully ... process. I am wired to the core for the Zen Triode SE84 sound using that wonderfully fast and neutral sounding video tube. The amp you really can't hear. I can definitely hear this amp... OR is it that what I think I can hear is actually there and I couldn't hear it before.  ee, this is processor burning out it's cooling fan.

I don't know why I let you guys get me into to this crap ; )

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how much of this is the driver stage (almost all of it like I suspect) or the output tube. The problem is that despite being based on the same SRPP stage I use in Rachael, it's not the same. The 300B takes a LOT more drive than an EL34, 6L6 or even KT88. So the gain structure I showed you will not work the same in any of our other amplifiers making it impossible to know what they would sound like with the same driver stage.  Like all of my stuff, the circuit slowly builds itself.

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 05/05/22 at 05:06:21

Steve said,

Quote:
I don't know why I let you guys get me into to this crap ; )

Don't blame me I'm just along for the ride.

Fascinating ride it is. House speakers should be interesting next stop.

Bluerage said,

Quote:
Really thinking about changing my order from the MKV to this!

Over the last 13 months I've wanted at some point 3 different amps. Now there's this amp. Fascinating ride for sure!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #157 - 05/05/22 at 12:33:23

Steve how did you record the YouTube videos, what kind of Mic's were you using and what kind of placement? I listened through headphones and I thought it was very well recorded for YouTube video. Although the high-end on one particular recording the percussion at times sounded like a click track to me. Is there another platform that you could upload Hi-Rez recordings that won't compress on playback. Perhaps without video just the music, I'm not up on the technology but there must be someone who knows what platforms allow uploads and playback with Flac Files. Did you ever make any recordings of the 34._ I?
I searched all of your video's on YT.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #158 - 05/05/22 at 18:23:58

I'm in for one of the 300B Sarahs. I'll make it work somehow.

So wild that it was a 300B amp that led me to Decware. At first I didn't understand why Steve wasn't at all intending to offer one. Then I got my first Zen amp. . . and understood why.

It's a whole different Decware world now 25 years later though.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 05/05/22 at 18:40:39

Lon,

I follow this thread periodically and I just noticed that you lost your father, very sorry to hear and my sincerest condolences.  I lost mine last year, June 25th and still working through it.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #160 - 05/05/22 at 19:06:48

Lon,

I didn't realize this loss either. I am so sorry. I know that you have devoted your life to your parents' care. I have only done a fraction of what you did that way.
 I think of my father often and with admiration.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 05/05/22 at 19:42:31

Over the last 13 months I've wanted at some point 3 different amps. Now there's this amp. Fascinating ride for sure! —  jec3504

jec3504,
I’ve wanted a Decware 300B amp since I gave up my 2a3/300b monoblocks nearly 9 years ago, but the truth is, I never actually thought it would happen. I finally broke down and bought another 300B amp last summer, and I love it’s music making ability, but I’d love to listen to Steve’s new creation in my own system and compare the two amps.  Currently I’m trying set aside common sense and logic in order to justify spending another $4K, $5K or $6K on this Decware 300B amp.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #162 - 05/05/22 at 20:11:15

Thanks gentlemen. My Dad was a fantastic man and the outpouring of love and appreciation is phenomenal and sustaining us. We drew up a brief bio and it surprises even us. We're all doing well and celebrating his life and the fact that we had such wonderful parents.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
acousticsguru
Verified Member

Reply #163 - 05/05/22 at 21:12:12

My heartfelt condolences, Lon!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #164 - 05/05/22 at 21:29:31

Doug,

Good luck with your dilemma. I'm very short on the wait list. So the 300B amp won't be an option for me this time around. Honestly haven't heard a tube amp in almost 45 years. Enjoying Steve's developmental threads. Just remember it's only money.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #165 - 05/05/22 at 22:11:49

Thank you.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 05/06/22 at 01:31:03

What does the finished product measure in at? Is it 6.5 watts?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #167 - 05/06/22 at 02:30:16

Steve posted this on the previous page on this thread:

Quote:
Tonight I am listening to what will no doubt be considered the best sounding amplifier Decware ever built. If you can live with 4 clean watts and some docile very soft hum on 100dB speakers than fasten your seat belt because it's about to get really real.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 05/06/22 at 02:33:37

I'm surprised WE wouldn't send the tubes for free knowing what's coming!

Love the updates, this is really exciting!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 05/06/22 at 02:35:54

Thanks, just read back through and found that. Do you know what "2 watts and up to 8 watts at 10% distortion," means, specifically? I get a bit befuddled by values and tube watt esoterica. Is the 2 Watts at normal playing level, and the 8watts cranked to max, or is the 8 watts during peaks, such as orchestral music?

Thanks.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 05/06/22 at 03:13:19

Blessings Lon!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #171 - 05/06/22 at 04:07:19

The 300B amp has cleaner output at 2 watts than the Zen Triode SE84 or SE34 series amplifiers.  It stays that way until around 4 watts at which point the distortion begins to rise with output.  So 6 watts with higher distortion and 8 watts with much higher distortion.  I look at this as a very kind (soft) clipping characteristic that would allow the amplifier to generate more peak power than the SE34.6 which is rated at 6 watts.  

For anyone thinking about getting this instead of a TORII let me remind you there was probably a good reason why you choose 20 watts over 4 to 6 watts.

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 05/06/22 at 04:10:34

Hello, Lon
I send you love, and I pray for healing for yourself and for your family.
Brian

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #173 - 05/06/22 at 04:25:44

Hi Lon,
My heartfelt condolences for your loss .....
My dad and I were partners for many years in a small wholesale distribution company before I got into the IT industry.
We had breakfast together five days a week and he was not only a wonderful father, but a friend and a wealth of knowledge.
He passed away several years ago and it is a rare day that I don't think about him fondly.
My very best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 05/06/22 at 11:56:07

Thank you Randy. A great father is such a blessing!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #175 - 05/06/22 at 11:59:28

Brian, thank you so much.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #176 - 05/06/22 at 13:16:40

Steve said,

Quote:
For anyone thinking about getting this instead of a TORII let me remind you there was probably a good reason why you choose 20 watts over 4 or 6.

Just noticed piezoman been quiet lately.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #177 - 05/06/22 at 13:24:08

A good point. In a similar manner there is a good reason that I choose SET or SEP over Push Pull (after living with both).

The great thing about the evolved Decware stable of components is the range of choice!

IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 05/06/22 at 18:55:00

Tool is a great band.  You must listen to Chocolate Chip Trip.  What a great song and expansive soundstage, at least on my system.  Just sounds fantastic.

IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #179 - 05/06/22 at 22:01:34

….Lon, sorry to hear of your loss…I know the feeling …I lost my dad a while back and still feel a emptiness in my heart

Plus…I think I speak for everyone on this forum, you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to the operation and experimentation of Decware gear …thanks for the reading

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #180 - 05/06/22 at 22:05:51

Thanks Greg. Sorry to hear you too have lost your father. We are both lucky to have had one in our lives. (My wife's father abandoned her and her nine siblings when she was 9--never to be seen or heard from again; I'm so glad she got to know, love and be loved by my father).

IP Logged
slop
Verified Member

Reply #181 - 05/06/22 at 23:50:35

Pretty excited to read about the Sarah! WE tubes are wonderful. Here is my most beautiful sounding WE 421a dual triode

421a.jpg
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 05/07/22 at 00:52:26

Sorry for your loss Lon. May your father Rest In Peace.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #183 - 05/07/22 at 11:16:39

Thanks Kamran.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 05/07/22 at 17:49:20

Okay, after reading all about the new 300b offering I have two questions.

What is the price point?  Or is this one of those things where if I have to ask I can't afford it?

Second question, how do I get on the list?

I'm not a 300B type, per se.  I lean more towards power and big sound, but there are times when something like a 300b would fit the bill. And, if I am going to get a 300b it is either Decware's 300b or Cary's 300b.  I would assume that both of these amps sound different from each other, so we'll see where the coin falls.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #185 - 05/07/22 at 18:09:11

My PM to you has the details that you ask for.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 05/07/22 at 19:04:12

As an aside, upstream Steve mentioned that the ZRock2 that he's putting in the 300B is set at the "1:15" position where the bass and treble are not adjusted, but rather flat.

I'm trying to figure out what "1:15" means.  Is that the 1 o'clock position plus a wee bit more?  Or is at the 3/4 mark?  On an analog clock, 1:15 would have the little hand slightly past 1, and the big hand on the 3, which would be the 3/4 spot on the dial.

Clarification welcomed and appreciated.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 05/07/22 at 19:28:59

I am thinking he is talking about 1:15 o'clock. The unity gain position changes with different tubes and even a little with different recordings... but a little past one o'clock is a pretty good average for 12AU7s with mine.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #188 - 05/07/22 at 19:33:16

That would be my guess as well. If you look at the picture in the manual 1:15 or so as I picture the little hand at that time is about the top of the "Green Zone" where he indicates the EQ tailoring happens.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 05/07/22 at 19:53:48

The manual states:

"Once it is at the half way position, it achieves unity gain which means you can flip the bypass switch on and off and hear no change in volume or frequency balance. As you rotate past 50% the EQ slowly begins to come in."

That implies that the point where there's no bass boost is at high noon, not 1:15.  In fact, he shows 50% as being at high noon.  Or setting clock lingo aside (which I find confusing) and using percent instead (and I pulled out an actual clock for this), the 1:15 o'clock would be at 62.5%.  Right?  The beginning of the "green zone"?

With the manual talking percentages, and Steve talking analog clocks, it can get confusing!!!!

But upstream Steve said that 1:15 is where there's no bass boost or treble attenuation.  Yet in the manual he states that bass boost begins at high noon (50% in the drawing).  I see a contradiction there.

Perhaps Steve can chime in and explain what he means by 1:15 o'clock both in terms of percents (to align with the manual, which I assume is at the start of the green zone), and how that correlates to the actual bass boost beginning at 50% (high noon).

If the 300B ZR2 module is supposed to not boost the bass, then wouldn't it be set to high noon instead of 1:15 o'clock??

ZRock-gate has begun!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #190 - 05/07/22 at 20:02:03

Boy oh boy I'm bowing out of this one. I'll let Steve answer. I've no stomach for this type of round and round. Wink I just take Steve's word for it when he says "1:15 is the sweet spot."

Here is what he said: " Those of you who own a ZROCK2 have no doubt found the magic spot on the dial at about 1:15 where magic happens. This position actually measures flat. It occurs before there is any bass boost or treble cut. The midrange, texture and density of a ZROCK2 set here is so over the top no one who owns one can live without it."

That's where he feels the magic begins before serious EQ begins is what I get from this. For me the magic begins about 4:00. But I know I'm different.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 05/07/22 at 20:09:54

Haha.  Lon, you misunderstand.  I'm joking about the "gate" part.  None of this is particularly serious, and certainly I'm not accusing Steve of anything.  Simply seeking good natured clarification.

I'm just trying to figure out where the 300B ZR2 is set as there's a contradiction in terms of where the bass boosting begins.  Manual says 50% (high noon), and Steve (to my understanding) has written that it begins at 1:15 (or 62.5%).

I'm also not entirely clear what is meant by "1:15" because the manual talks in percentages, not clocks.  Therefore clarification would be helpful.

And I think prospective 300B buyers would like to know whether or not the amp has a built in bass boost.  If it's set at 1:15, that implies that, per the ZR2 manual, there is some bass boost at 1:15.

My ZR2 happy place varies from noon to 3 o'clock depending on the recording.  Would like to cast my vote now for a ZR2 remote control...
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #192 - 05/07/22 at 20:35:25

I didn't misunderstand you. I just thought I understood what Steve meant and didn't see the worth of the fuss. We're all different, I just don't find this sort of back and forth and questioning what Steve says over and over as amusing as I guess others do. I should have not bowed in and will bow out.

Here's what I think: He says 1:15 actually measures flat, and so I assumed he thought it didn't sound flat but did measure flat. There's a "magic" there before the EQ really kicks in, and I think that is the essence of the ZROCK2 in his estimation. Perhaps he updated his knowledge and measurements since he wrote the manual and manuals rarely get updated when they should on this website, that's just something I've come to accept--we'd rather Steve do other things.

I do think by "1:15" he means the top of the green zone where the EQ really begins. I'd agree that is where with most tubes I use in the ZROCK2.

I'm less concerned about this because I KNOW that I will/would use a ZROCK2 with this amp anyway--I use it with every system and with every change I make in my systems. It has become an essential element to my listening satisfaction.

Over and out. Hope Steve clarifies.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 05/07/22 at 21:00:22

Would it be silly to keep my TORII order, AND order a 300b? Would it be excessive, gratuitous, and indulgent, or somewhat justifiable? I've recently taken a deep dive into jazz, and can't get the idea of the 300b with WE tubes out of my head.

That's not to say that the wife and I don't enjoy music that might not fully befit from SETs--80s synth pop (wife) lots of grunge, dynamic rock, etc. I've found that there are few things in life that do everything great. Many things come close, but the Swiss-Army approach rarely leads to full satisfaction.

That said, I also don't want to get carried away, and/or foolish.

Can someone talk me down from the ledge? Or better yet...give me a little push?

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 05/07/22 at 21:06:08

Lon.  Not worth the fuss?  Hahaha, the life blood of these forums is discussing things like this!

By "bowing out" it seemed you were somehow offended by the inquiry.  By saying you "misunderstood me", I was not referring to the technical nature of the inquiry, but rather the spirit in which it is conducted.  My "ZRock2-gate" comment was meant in jest, and that's the part that seemed to be misunderstood.

My question is a reasonable one.  There is a contradiction between the ZR2 manual and Steve's comments here about 1:15.  I find it relevant both in terms of the ZR2 on it's own, as well as about how the 300B is setup.

Steve will easily be able to clarify that contradiction.  And that's a good thing.

The bowing out part seems to imply that you've come across something of great distaste and not worthy of your genuinely knowledgable time.  I find that to be a peculiar reaction as these sorts of technical questions are very common in audiophile forums.  I agree that when conducted in an off-putting spirit that such things can devolve into a mess.

But they don't have to.  And this is a relevant question.  One that Steve can easily clarify.

A new product is being launched.  A potentially tremendous product.  Having customer questions and concerns addressed is a vital part of any business.

With a good spirit,
John

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 05/07/22 at 21:09:08

Bluemage wrote:

Quote:

Oh, just buy it!  Will only know if you give it at try.  With the 30 day return policy, and the 3 year wait making the used market mega-hot, you have no risk.  And plenty of time to save up and or change your mind and receive a refund of your deposit.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #196 - 05/07/22 at 21:10:58

John, there may be a portion and faction of this forum that "is all about" this sort of topic but I think it's a smaller part than you do, and it's not the part I enjoy more than others. I'm just speaking for myself, others can have differing opinions and may even have an answer that will satisfy you,  though I think only Steve will. And by "bowing out" I just mean what I said--I'm less amused by this sort of topic than you are, whether the discussion is in a good-spirited way or not. I and it may be better served if I just stay away.

I hope Steve clarifies this for you. It's either less unclear to me or less important to be clarified for me or both. We're different. It has nothing to do with the value of my time. The entire internet is a place where I mostly waste time. Or hide away to try to feel better as is the case today.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 05/07/22 at 21:14:40

Lon, has your Dave's Picks 42 arrived?  It's a good one.  Play it and feel the comforting vibes flow forth!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #198 - 05/07/22 at 21:19:10

Yes it has come. I haven't played any of the Dick Pick's from the last few years. I subscribed but my heart is not really into it, I've just stuck them on the shelf. I have been listening to the Dead less and less. I revisited some Europe '72 shows last month and I went through the last big box set with some interest, and the deluxe editions of the official canon. But I don't have time to really sit down and listen today or tomorrow and I have other things I wish to listen to ahead of any Dick's Pick.

I don't really get "comforting vibe" from the Dead. I used to get a lot more excitement than I do but when it's a great show and I'm wanting to go along I find that listening for a new interpretation of the song, Jerry's improvisation and that night's interaction between the members of the band to be the draw. So more "involvement" vibe than "comforting."

Sorry. I've had a very far from routine week and I'm out of sorts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #199 - 05/07/22 at 21:37:39

Bluemage wrote on 05/07/22 at 21:00:22:
Would it be silly to keep my TORII order, AND order a 300b? Would it be excessive, gratuitous, and indulgent, or somewhat justifiable? I've recently taken a deep dive into jazz, and can't get the idea of the 300b with WE tubes out of my head.

That's not to say that the wife and I don't enjoy music that might not fully befit from SETs--80s synth pop (wife) lots of grunge, dynamic rock, etc. I've found that there are few things in life that do everything great. Many things come close, but the Swiss-Army approach rarely leads to full satisfaction.

That said, I also don't want to get carried away, and/or foolish.

I personally find a system generally handles all music well for me . . . or doesn't sound good overall with any music. I find that those you list as potentially less suited for SET can be mesmerizing on the right SET system.

The practice of "adding to an order" seems to have been halted, so if you order a 300B today you'd get the Torii first. So if you then get a 300B you can make a comparison and make an educated and informed decision which to keep or to keep both.

Win win for you and Decware.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24
Send Topic Print