Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 02:24:17 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 143640 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #100 - 04/30/22 at 04:52:45

It does make it easier to swallow.  These were made for telephone transmission relay stations so they were designed to be on all the time so far as I know.  5 years of leaving the amp on all the time is 43,800 hours.  If you only listen 12 hours a day 7 days a week, that would be 10 years.  If you only listen 6 hours a day 7 days a week that would be 20 years.  If you only listen 3 hours a day 7 days a week that would be 40 years.  Do you religiously listen 7 days a week?

Ask yourself how many tubes you roll in a typical amplifier over 40 years time wanting to hear the best. What would or did that cost you?  

With this there is no tube rolling.  It is the best.  You know it going in.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #101 - 04/30/22 at 05:11:24

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  This is tonights post:

(click to enlarge)

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 04/30/22 at 05:35:39

The WE300B tube packaging is simply stunning.  There is definitely a bit of good old American pride owning a pair of these beauties.  And for me, having been employed by AT&T from 1984 to 2018, having seen Golden Boy in person many times at AT&T headquarters in Dallas, and having spent my last ten years with AT&T working in the very building where WE300B tubes were made in Lees Summit, Missouri, makes it even more personal.  Here’s a little Golden Boy history……..

https://www.mrlocalhistory.org/goldenboy/

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 04/30/22 at 05:35:57

Wow that's one BAD MOTHER of a tube. Your amps are already beautiful as it is, but a new design with a pair of these beauts gleaming atop in all of their ethereal glow...well, that's gonna be something. Not to mention the sound...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #104 - 04/30/22 at 05:56:40

Sorry, here's some words.  I have to catch it when it happens.

The following occurred to me when meditating on the the differences between AC and DC on the filaments of this amplifier…

WHY SOME PEOPLE SAY AC FILAMENTS SOUNDS BETTER THAN DC

If you’ve done much research into how to handle the filaments of a DHT like the 300B, you will no doubt have heard claims that those who’ve experimented with both in the same amplifier found that DC sucked the life out of the music.

Picture this in your mind; A heated cathode with direct current at a set voltage. Steady, constant… emitting electrons that are drawn to the plate which is a large area. As this warms up to a steady state, there is no doubt going to be a particular path through the vacuum between the cathode and the plate. For example, if you’ve watched plasma in a globe, the patterns may be similar in that current may wrap around the cathode before launching off it in strings or fingers, not unlike slow motion lightning.

So these fingers establish a pattern through the vacuum that have concentrations of energy at each end, one end touching the plate and the other touching the cathode.

That would be a visual of DC filaments in my mind.

Now lets switch to AC and see what happens…

Instead of a constant voltage the voltage ramps up with a gracefully perfect sine from 0 to 5 volts. This is a lot of points on the line.  So when the electrons emit from the cathode it is a different dynamic. Instead of finding a few singular launch points from a given area, the launch points are now constantly moving around and across the cathode surface. Then it reverses polarity/direction and repeats the process. It’s like mowing your yard diagonally reversing direction with every strip as opposed to blowing a crooked line in one direction only down the middle of the yard.

Of course the more evenly and the larger numbers of imaginary fingers that form between the cathode and the plate the more gracefully each will function.

AC is like a quadratic diffuser launching the energy across a 180 degree disc, where DC is more like a flashlight shining on part of a tree. The reason DC sounds like the life is sucked out of the music is because the music has to find that spot or spots on the tree that are lit in order to get into your head. Some of it doesn’t make it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 04/30/22 at 09:35:09

Your analogy makes perfectly good sense Steve.
Expanding it a bit brought to mind a comparison between straight pipes on a motorcycle as compared to one with a muffler. The noise from straight pipes will disrupt ambient serenity for all whilst diffused noise, created with a muffler cut into the pipe, preserves said peace. Straight pipes sound cool at first but quickly become annoying over time/spaced time.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #106 - 04/30/22 at 15:25:31

It's an interesting analogy.
My question then is can you make the DC flashlight illuminate the whole tree?

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 04/30/22 at 15:42:22

Giggsy-

That’s an interesting question. My guess would be the answer is yes, but you’d have to dramatically increase the size of the flashlight ?? Maybe you’re talking a spotlight at that point? Just spitballing here.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #108 - 04/30/22 at 16:07:26

Steve,

I know you want to hear your new design sound as good as possible, thus the Western Electric tubes. But from a practicality point of view, are you going to be able to sell a lot of these amps with your go-to tubes being so expensive?

It seems to me that the more practical route would be to find a less expensive tube and voice it with that (cryotone treated?).

I just know that, for me, this amp could never even be a consideration. Just too darned expensive.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 04/30/22 at 16:34:40

I can appreciate that sentiment, but if I'm getting a Decware amp, I want it to be as best as it can possibly be.

Given his amp's successful propensity for tube rolling, I would think that using various tubes wouldn't be that big of a deal. That's assuming there's an option to buy tubeless.

I'm guessing with WE tubes, the 300b would be comparable to a loaded Torii MKV. And yes, that's an expensive amp in its own rite--but not so when compared to the vast majority of "high fidelity" equipment.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 04/30/22 at 17:47:42

The last thing I need is more audio gear but this is a combination of high fidelity and nostalgia for me. Maybe it’s a novelty but the combination of Decware, 300b, and WE would require me to be at the top of the list to preorder. It would probably be the last gear I ever buy (I know, I know…).

My wife is born and raised in Peoria. My grandfather, the man who taught me to listen critically, solder, and appreciate all styles of music, worked his entire career, from age 16 to retirement (1932-1982) in the lab at Western Electric in Chicago. Steve, when do you start taking orders?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #111 - 04/30/22 at 17:54:16

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 16:07:26

...I know you want to hear your new design sound as good as possible, thus the Western Electric tubes. But from a practicality point of view, are you going to be able to sell a lot of these amps with your go-to tubes being so expensive?

I think most tube amps, including Decware sound better with high dollar "heritage" tubes. A lot of us use more expensive e.g. input tubes or rectifiers than the stock tubes and don't regret the upgrade. I expect the same will hold true for 300B tubes: sounds great with the Gold Lions Steve has been using but will sound even better with WEs or Takatsuki or other fancy current production and probably sound better stiill with real NOS 300Bs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #112 - 04/30/22 at 18:08:30

Geno said:

Just too darned expensive.

I may have missed it, but has anyone seen a cost estimate for this new amp?  I know the tube cost is high to start, but what about the "out the door" best guess?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #113 - 04/30/22 at 18:31:21

The 300B amp is based on the SE34I.6,  plus a couple hundred bucks or so for 300B tubes over EL34s and I'd guess 2200ish dollars to start.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 04/30/22 at 18:37:46

Steve’s first post contains the following paragraph.

So in the world of 300B amplifiers the $1500 price for a pair of tubes would only be small percentage of the amplifier cost... welcome to high end audio of which we completely are but aren't.  If you do the math based on my comments we should be able to hand build a 300B amplifier without tubes starting around 3K that can carry the Decware badge with honor.  

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #115 - 05/02/22 at 01:50:24

As of this weekend I probably missed that by as much as a grand...

Make no mistake, while obviously affordable compared to higher priced 300B amps that won't sound as good, there is no attempt made to create a budget 300B amp. There are literally hundreds of them on the market right now, at every price point.  

At the same time there is no effort to make power with it. If you're looking for an 8 or 10 watt amp, look elsewhere.

My motivation (against all this pressure from great reviews) is to make the best sounding 300B experience possible. I don't believe it has to cost 30 grand or even 10 but I suspect by the time you get the WE tubes, and a decent power cord for it you'll be a touch over 5 grand.  

It is specifically voiced for the WE300B which is the worlds reference. Since all copies strive to be like the original - the amp has to be voiced for the original. That said, it will be sold without the output tubes and buyers are welcome to use what they can afford. There are some very attractive sounding 300B's from Shugang in China, their lower lest costly model. The higher dollar ones don't have the same magic according to reports, so if this is true, and it probably is, someone could get a fabulous sound for around $200 for the pair.

Please don't let his start a conversation about prices and features etc. ,etc, it's WAY TO EARLY for any of that. I haven't even committed to a chassis design and am only now evaluating what I think will be the final circuit.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 05/02/22 at 02:35:03

Quote:
Very cool, Steve, I'm loving the way this amp is developing. Would amplifier architecture change strictly because of a circuit modification, or does it sometimes change independently from circuit design? IE, because of your aesthetic preferences?

Additionally, you said this amp is sounding really good without a preamp. Given that this is the case, would an anniversary model preamp degrade the sound, or possibly give it a crumb of sonic improvement?

Thanks.

More often than not the answer is yes.  Once you have the circuit done, you design a chassis and layout simultaneously to effect the ultimate performance.  The current circuit is at limitations of this chassis dimension and layout.

The CSP325 did not degrade the performance of the amp, just as it dosen't n the UFO25.  It actually made it better until this weekend when a preamp was added to the amp internally.

Steve

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #117 - 05/02/22 at 03:44:45

UPDATE 5/1/22

Tonight I am listening to what will no doubt be considered the best sounding amplifier Decware ever built. If you can live with 4 clean watts and some docile very soft hum on 100dB speakers than fasten your seat belt because it's about to get really real. When I started Decware we had Drool towels for people who heard the first Zen Triode. With this amp I'm going to have to recommend Depends.

I took a giant leap this weekend. I have been evaluating it with and without a preamp and with and without a ZROCK2 set flat. Those of you who own a ZROCK2 have no doubt found the magic spot on the dial at about 1:15 where magic happens. This position actually measures flat. It occurs before there is any bass boost or treble cut. The midrange, texture and density of a ZROCK2 set here is so over the top no one who owns one can live without it.

It should be pretty obvious that if you're going to build an amplifier for a pair of output tubes that cost $700 a piece that it's going to have to sound as good or preferably better than our current reference the SE84UFO25. So that is the mind set, and it has taken me on a journey of realization about the sound I want. For example, I start with the question 'What is the best sound I can get in here' and then look at the gear used. Well, it has basically been the SE84UFO25 paired with the CSP325 matching preamp. The preamp adds so much beauty and density to the sound that when you hear it in front of most any amplifier, you will want it. So the reality is that for the best sound, you want both. And a good power cord for each, as well as interconnects.

But as good as that is, if I really want to wet myself, I'll get out a ZROCK2 and put it in front of the preamp. I'll set it to that magic spot which is flat, and just shit my pants at what the three components create! So add another power cord, and another pair of interconnects.  As well, don't forget that you need full anniversary mods with the tube regulation inside. I'm pretty sure with the cables and shipping that's getting close to $10K.

So that is the reference, and I am directly A/B this amplifier design with that.  

When we left off, I had mentioned that the amp already sounds like it has the preamp because of the 300B tubes. It's like free density. Well it's not free, but it actually costs half as much as the preamp.

I have been enjoying it all week with no preamp and then that what if moment happened and I stuck the ZROCK2 on it. This was a mind numbing moment because it offered the same gain I was getting from my favorite settings on the CSP325, and that insane midrange dimensionality that once you hear it you can't live without it. Only now it's magnified. It's like it is in sync with the 300B and everything just shifted to sounding lucid and completely real.  

Haha, it's a good thing I'm experienced at blowing my own mind, because you can't just jump into stuff like this without a lot of seasoning.

THE PLAN

Ok here's the plan come late Friday night - measure the exact values of where I set a ZROCK2 and install one inside the amp set exactly that way. This will be the needed gain stage  giving my around 5 volts (that I will later compress) for every volt of input and put the input sensitivity just ahead of the Zen Triode SE84 series and even the SE34I. So this is what I did. I recreated the exact circuit with the exact settings inside the amplifier and added an additional tube to the front of the chassis. The tube is a 12AU7.  This compliments the 6922 signature so beautifully not to mention opens an entire world of tube rolling. A single tube will change the sound of your amp and there are millions of them on the planet.

Like a ZROCK2, the tube is at full blast all the time. The output of the tube feeds the level control which in this case is the input of the amplifier, or put another way, the volume control.  This is what we refer to as riding the gain.  The input to the amplifier is raised from 2 volts max to 10 volts and then squeezed back down to 2 volts. This creates dynamics and speed.

The EQ switch is deleted, and the adjustment control and the bypass switch all deleted. Everything is hard wired to the exact setting that is dead flat. Plus it is feed from it's own vacuum tube regulator just like the 6922 (or 6N5P/6N1P/6N6P) bringing the total of internal voltage regulator tubes to 3. These are SG5B tubes that have leads and are soldered directly into the circuit. In this case all three are directly in series with the plate resistors with no capacitor.

I guess that will make this 6 tubes on the outside and 3 tubes on the inside for a total of 9.

LOOKING BACK

I know when I started this afraid of the thickness associated with these tubes that I wanted a Zen amp style attack with only 3 parts to it doesn't get any thicker.

I learned quickly that the tube has precious little to do with it other than to make it apparent when it's there. Everything is the driver stage. It's 94% of the sound. I made it sound sharp, dull, and every other way possible until I realized that it too can be made to sound like anything you like dependent on the driver stage.

Quickly the design moved towards the Zen Triode transparency and kept the scale tilted towards neutral rather than thickness. Once there, that refreshing sense of air is back and it now gets better with a preamp or higher gain on the inputs without getting thicker.

So now that I have basically installed the ideal preamp inside the amplifier, we have two stages instead of one. That means 2 capacitors instead of 1 and 4 resistors instead of 2. OMG help! No worries, when each stage is feedback free and has this kind of transparency it is like water in a cup.  Dirty water 1/2 inch deep in a cup will not obscure the bottom. Another 1/2 inch  layer of water (2nd stage or component) begins to blur the bottom of the cup. The more you add the worse it gets. Clear water on the other hand can be added to reach the top of the cup without obscuring the bottom. And this is what has resulted. Everything just got WAY better on every level. Just proves no matter how good your source is, it could have been better.  

Right now I have the HOLO audio May dac directly connected to the amplifier, and it sounds like it did last night when I tested the ZROCK2 with it, but twice as clean. All the extra crap gone, no connectors, pots, switches, cables, cords and so on... the sound is so clean and round.

Frankly this seems like the deal of the century to me right now. Simple RCA inputs, your favorite source and 93-96dB speakers if you're triggered by soft hum, 100dB if your not.

Just to be clear, if you don't like to tube roll, want the best, want to get it done with a single component you will have the sound of a ZROCK2 with anniversary mods feeding a CSP325 and the fully anniversary modded SE84UFO series amplifiers but with 4 watts instead of 2 and with 3 times less distortion at 2 watts and up to 8 watts at 10% distortion not to mention seldom if ever having to replace the output tubes since they are likely to outlast many of us.

So it was a long two days but raining the whole time, so time well spent.  I will so put my name on this -- a 100% original circuit that sets a new benchmark.  I think the Audio Gods even raised an eyebrow on this one.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #118 - 05/02/22 at 03:45:04

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 05/02/22 at 04:17:13

In response to several comments in this thread regarding 300B amps in general, and the $1,500 price tag on Western Electric 300B tubes, here’s my personal experience.  

I have owned a Cary CAD-300SEI Mk6 for nearly one year now, and up until two weeks ago it had seen only the two stock Gold Lion 300B’s and the three stock JJ Electronic 6SN7’s.  This Cary has never sounded lush, warm, slow, sluggish, or rolled off at either frequency extreme. Instead, it sounds super fast, big, airy, natural, liquid, transparent, and very musical.  Close to thirty years ago, Robert Harley, who had always been seriously opposed to low power SET amps, agreed to review the Mk1 version of the 300SEI.  Here’s part of his conclusion……….

“The 300SEI excelled in the most important areas: harmonic rightness, total lack of grain, astonishing transparency, lifelike soundstaging, and a palpability that made the instruments and voices seem to exist in the listening room.”  He also described it as having “astonishing liquidity.”

All of what Harley said is true…….especially the “astonishing transparency” comment.  But, he also commented that the amp was a bit rolled off at the frequency extremes and that it was somewhat slow.  Unfortunately, the various speakers he used in his review were totally inappropriate for use with a low power SET amplifier.  Had he used a Lowther horn system, an Altec VOTT system, Klipschorns, etc., all of which were readily available thirty years ago, there is no way he would have described the amplifier as somewhat slow.   300B amps are not inherently slow, lush, rolled off, and sluggish.  As we all know, system synergy is everything.

So, was the first version 300SEI really slow and rolled off?  Don’t know—never heard one, but I know for certain that the Mk6 version in my system is not slow or rolled off.  And relative to all other amps I have used in my main system over 40 plus years, including New York Audio Labs, Audio Research, Carver, Cary Audio (2A3 mono blocks), Eastern Electric, Vacuum Tube Logic, Aronov, and Decware (Super Zen 84 and Torii Jr), the Cary 300SEI is, by a huge margin, my favorite amp of all time. And here’s the kicker; if DC heating of the 300B filaments—which the Cary does—sucks the life out of the music, Steve’s amp is going to be nothing short of spectacular……maybe even supernatural! 

Final thoughts this evening……  Are the WE300B tubes worth the initial $1,500 outlay?  Steve’s quick cost/value analysis of the Western Electric 300B is right on the mark.  They’re actually a tremendous value.  With my WE300B’s close to the 100 hour burn-in mark, I can say without any doubt or hesitation that rolling to this $1,500 pair of tubes is worth every penny.  The music coming from my system now is glorious and beautiful beyond description.  I will never go back to KR, Sophia Electric, Gold Lion, Electro Harmonia, or any other 300B, because the Western Electrics trounce them all in every way.  Add to this a 40 year life expectancy, and you’ve got the best value vacuum tube ever made!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #120 - 05/02/22 at 04:37:56

I'm listening to this amp on the Zen Master Series ZF15L Baffles. I will never be the same after this. I thought I knew what musical meant. My tape machine and turntable have never even approached this. Of course I have not listened to either of those sources yet but the point is with the best I've put together in past years as far as gear combos even with the tape machine didn't sound like this. This is new territory I didn't know about. The Audio Gods are showing us a new place.

It feels like smelling a flower for the first time.

And the girth around the base of notes is like a large oak tree that makes the ground vibrate when it breaths.

I'll take a picture of the inside in the future now that the circuit has finished it's metamorphosis and you will see why this amplifier will be offered with only 2 inputs and none of the extra bells and whistles of the SE34I.6 that is was loosely based on.

Also I twisted the sockets 90 degrees to put the Western Electric logo facing forward. Know why I did that? Because I could! Because I know that every one of these tubes will be exactly the same. I have seen the jig for screening the tube bases.  Sadly all the other tubes I've used over the years are a little hit and miss in this department. The logos rarely ever pointing the same way.

Also I have to speak about the change to the WE300B from the Gold Lion 300B. The Gold Lion 300B was good, I made a couple YouTube sound demos of it.  But, good as it was, the entire time I have been developing the circuit for this amp I have been second guessing myself. At the end I got to a point where I knew it had to sound better than it does, and sincerely hoped for my own sanity that it would turn out to be the tube. Framed against ultra ultra high expectations, just to be clear. Anyway, as I said on Friday night, the difference was immediate and I knew right away the amplifier was what I wanted it to be.  And that was before this weekends upgrade. So definitely is the sound worth 3 times more than the $400 Gold Lions. Absolutely it is, yes.  No question. It changes things. In this amplifier anyway you will experience what the tube is all about from a Decware voicing. I honestly can't imagine any other 300B amp sounding this good because most are regurgitated circuits from the past or new math guy complicated pipe dreams that sound good and measure good but don't give you an earrection when you turn it on.

So far this evening I have been letting the algorithm pic the music so I can't get biased, and I haven't heard a single track that I wanted to skip. Everything is wrecking my brain. Never has a single amplifier without a preamp or upstream magic black boxes sounded like this, and even with them never sounded quite like this.

It makes my heart race, the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and it creates a general state of awe and disbelief because I was sure none of these recordings were this good. How is it possible? It makes me feel like the Audio Gods decided to make a 300B amp to show the 300B cult what is actually possible. Years after I'm dead it may become a sound quality standard.  

Western Electric is kicking it in the ass! We went from second guessing everything to pow, this is it, and then because of the transparency and confidence in what had been done so far, this weekend happened! I am so thrilled about this Rossville Works factory that I can't even put it into words.  

I will say that before you pay $10,000 for an original pair of WE300B, the current production is better on several key points.  One of the big ones is the coating on the plate. It's Graphene, which is a single layer of atoms perfectly distributed across the surface. It improves performance and longevity on several metrics.

There is no question that before you know what happened the USA will be making the best sounding tubes in the world and even better than we did during the world wars and Cold War that followed -- when our national security depended on it. Todays technology can make superior tubes to those holy grail NOS tubes you pay too much for.  Sit back and watch.  It won't take long.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 05/02/22 at 05:13:31

Nice write up. I'm curious to hear what sonic differences, good or bad, might be observed when running a csp325 in front of the new amp.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #122 - 05/02/22 at 05:18:11

So far I've not heard a single noise, tick, brightness or anomaly with these new tubes. We're presently with a full 120V on the input at 413 volts on the plate and 68ma on the cathode.  Also 68V because the cathode resistor is 1000 ohms.

I will let these break in for another few days or a week, and then make some videos.  The sound will be undeniable.

Happy listening!  

Steve  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #123 - 05/02/22 at 05:47:16

My guess is that the CPS325 leveled against the HOLO Audio MAY feeding a ZBIT feeding the amp is that with a lesser source and absence of a ZBIT the CSP325 will greatly improve the sound.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #124 - 05/02/22 at 05:52:46

These tubes are wrecking me in this amp.

WWW   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #125 - 05/02/22 at 07:02:13

Excelsior!

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
RJR
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 05/02/22 at 12:30:38

I noticed that the meters are Western Electric as depicted in one of the most recent pics.  Since the tubes will be WE300B, very nice compliment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #127 - 05/02/22 at 14:00:05

Steve's salesmanship is set on high and really tempting many of us I suppose.

I sit here listening to my wonderful system and saying to myself "I don't need more." I'd have to sell my amps and ZROCK2 and preamp just to get close to affording this amp and those tubes and I shudder at the thought! Possible in the future. . . and then the long wait. . . There's a sort of torment associated with being deeply into audio!

I am so glad that Steve has been able to create this space for himself to explore and discover these new audio territories.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 05/02/22 at 14:18:33

Exciting stuff, Steve, I can't wait to hear the videos! I love it when you experience audio breakthroughs!

In regard to your comment about a lesser source: in the case of a ZP3 + turntable + Decware 300b, a CSP325 in the chain would improve (rather than muddle) the sound? I presume gain riding and the like would provide sonic benefits, even though they're not needed as much as they might have been with the UFO?

The only reason I'm so interested in this is due to my current order. I have a ZP3, csp325, and MKV on order. I'm just wondering if I hypothetically switched my amp from the Torii to the 300b, if keeping the csp325 would make the sound even better--even if the sonic improvements are small.

I guess I'm just smitten with your preamp's design, and am looking for justification in acquiring it!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #129 - 05/02/22 at 16:23:34

A great preamp is an advantage in any system, esp. it you listen to records.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 05/02/22 at 18:11:09

That's kinda what I was thinking!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #131 - 05/03/22 at 03:34:21

A CSP325, like the ZTPRE, can not be detected in the signal from a transparency perspective.  It will just make your source sound better and give you more adjustability and voicing control.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #132 - 05/03/22 at 03:45:02

GAIN STRUCTURING

As I mentioned before this amp does not require a preamp to sound it's best.  This is because I basically put one inside it.  I did this to take control of A) the quality of the preamp and B) setting the gain structure perfectly for best sound.

I thought I would create an illustration of the magic gain structure for this amp, which is not that different from all of our amplifiers, except that on those you need a preamp or similar device to make it happen and know how to set it right.  The only exception is the Mini Torii which also has it's own preamp inside.

When you get these ratios just right, magic happens.  

To give you some contrast, the typical hi-fi high power amplifiers of today are typically set up with 1 volt input sensitivity or less so that you have to turn it up to get it to bloom and have dense sound.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 05/03/22 at 04:04:43

That was actually quite helpful. Thanks for the illustration, Steve! Man, I can't wait to see this beauty in its final form. Have you blown the minds of any Decware family (employees) yet, or have the audio gods guided you to keep it to yourself for now?

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #134 - 05/03/22 at 11:04:15

Steve wrote "thought I would create an illustration of the magic gain structure for this amp, which is not that different from all of our amplifiers, except that on those you need a preamp or similar device to make it happen and know how to set it right."

Good morning Steve.  
Does this apply to the 34.6I and by similar device does the ZP3 fulfill the synergy needed or is a CSP325 the way to maximize the gain structure ?
Thanks
PS is the type of gain structure your using aka a cascading gain structure?

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Vinylleroy
Verified Member

Reply #135 - 05/03/22 at 13:00:25

Nice info on the development of the amp Steve!  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #136 - 05/03/22 at 22:41:00

Quote:
That was actually quite helpful. Thanks for the illustration, Steve! Man, I can't wait to see this beauty in its final form. Have you blown the minds of any Decware family (employees) yet, or have the audio gods guided you to keep it to yourself for now?

In our shop no one has time to wander around so I am pretty sure not a single sole knows this amplifier is in the works other than my wife and of course Sarah!

But that brings up daytime testing - which has been really impressing me.  Daytime testing means passively listening to it from the everywhere in the shop as I work while streaming whatever Roon radio comes up with.  Normally this is one of those things where some days are better than others depending on --who knows what?  It usually involves stopping the music and jumping to a different track at least three or four times a day., or hooking up a preamp and even then it still sometimes happens.  With this amp, there is no warm up, or wait for the right track, from it's first breath it is just glorious sound.  The kind of sound you normally get with your favorite tracks and plenty of fidgeting, even maybe some tube rolling.  The kind of sound that when you get it that right, you really want someone else to come and hear it so that they can be witness that it happened, as we all know it will be gone until the next time it visits.  With this amp, it came to visit and never left.  Really remarkable.  My only complaint is that it's so distracting trying to figure out "how does it do that" with regards to the sound all day and asking myself does this mean success or failure.  Success that it sounds so good or failure that nothing else is as good at what it does.  I know it has me questioning what I thought 300B tubes sounded like.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #137 - 05/03/22 at 23:04:36

Quote:
Good morning Steve.  
Does this apply to the 34.6I and by similar device does the ZP3 fulfill the synergy needed or is a CSP325 the way to maximize the gain structure ?
Thanks

PS is the type of gain structure your using aka a cascading gain structure?

No, the cascading label used in reference to gain stages seems to relate to guitar amp overdrive and distortion.  This approach is just what I find sounds good.

Both the ZP3 and the CSP3 have a fair amount of this gain structuring as part of the design.  On the CSP3 some of it is adjustable.  

Decware has always approached gain structures with a different take, in so much as we prefer to 1) always have an input level control (gain control) on every amplifier and 2) keep our amplifiers input sensitivity between 1 and 2 volts.  We do this because it sounds better.  Industry standard is 1 volt and less, or so it would seem, and that is with amps that are typically 100's of watts.  In main stream hifi you have a 2 volt source and a high power amplifier setting there turned up to full blast and a preamp that is used only to turn the signal down to a fraction of a volt so the amp won't get too loud and blow up your speakers.  This only sounds good when it's is cranked up loud.  The rest of the time it sounds lean, dry, flat, boring, tedious.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 05/04/22 at 00:04:25

Wow, it's quite remarkable that passive listening is so profound. You're really making me think about changing my Torii MKV to the new 300b, well, assuming it would properly pressurize a med/ large living room with Cornwall IVs.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #139 - 05/04/22 at 00:30:01

For me passive listening can more telling of what is right or wrong with the music because you are not distracted by the sound stage or imaging or stark reality of standing there in front of it. Of course in an untreated room where people live this may not hold true. When I listen passively it is 90% reflected energy which is to say I am listening to the room not the speakers. If the room sounded like crap or had its own coloration I wouldn't be able to hear anything through that...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 05/04/22 at 02:44:51

Speaking of active/passive listening, I'm mind-boggled at how different my system (Sherwood vintage tube amp) sounds when the sun goes down. Yes, some of it is psychosomatic, some of it is state of mind, quietness, yada yada, but the solar interference you've spoken about seems to be pretty intense. I have the Decware power conditioner on order with my system, and even 1/2 the quality of night listening during the day would be sublime.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 05/04/22 at 03:15:56

I almost never listen "passively" no matter where I am in the room or house. That said I too find listening mainly to the room reflected sound over direct sound, is more clearly telling of balance issues. Lots of times I can get tuning to sound great in "seat," or anywhere in the rest of the listening room area. But in the room, with the big and complete sound, for me there is some relatively notable tuning flexibility, many subtle balance shifts that can  sound really good in the room, not being "right" on final examination.

My final and most telling test is listening from my hot bath 20+ ft down the hall from the speaker back plain, in the opposite direction the speakers are facing, and the speaker backs having a wall between them and the hall... So it is pretty much all reflected room sound. From the tub, the sound is not as visceral as in the room, but beautiful and complete when right, and totally revealing all subtle imbalances... Maybe spectral balance is weighted a touch toward bass, making the mids a little too warm and thick, hiding some of the finest detail and space... Or the mids could be a touch hard/focussed... Or just listening to harmonics and decays, the space and harmonics might be more mid or bass oriented rather than even from bass to highest highs.

In my room there is just more tolerance for these and other imbalances, but if the music does not sound totally right and engaging from the tub...easy to diagnose from the there... when I fix the issues in the room, it sounds better there also, and always works best across more recording balances.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #142 - 05/04/22 at 05:04:23

Very good conversation, You all are making great points on this subjects. Thanks

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 05/04/22 at 14:30:25

Question: if someone already owned a ZROCK2 and ran it with the 300B, would the results be disastrous? Would the redundant implementation allow the user to tailor the frequency response as they normally would, or would this doubling be futile?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #144 - 05/04/22 at 15:08:25

MY guess is that for those in untreated or barely-treated rooms the component would still be quite beneficial. And my experience of running both a ZTPRE and a CSP3 in the signal path in a system is that here's extra goodness that can be had.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 05/04/22 at 15:36:08

Thanks, Lon. In the past months, I've been perusing many hifi forums, and at least 5 times, I've read a thoughtful, informed response to someone's question, only to find that the user name is yours! And not on Decware forums, Audiokarma, and various others. You're all over the online hi-fi world, my friend!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #146 - 05/04/22 at 15:42:48

Well, I try to be helpful. Thanks.

Lost my Dad yesterday so that was a welcome boost.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #147 - 05/04/22 at 16:04:50

Lon, Sorry for your loss.   It's a strange feeling to loose a father.   : (.  

At least you still have us : ).

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 05/04/22 at 16:23:20

I'm also very sorry to hear of your loss, Lon. That's gotta be very tough. You'll be in my prayers today, and I'm hoping that some manner of sonic beauty may help lighten the load.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #149 - 05/04/22 at 16:24:47

Lon being a caretaker for a father in his final days is a special, loving and selfless duty. May you father rest in peace. Your a good son and man.  Condolences to you and your family.

Joseph

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24
Send Topic Print