03/28/24 at 12:15:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Progress update (Read 5166 times)
AlanS
Verified Member

Progress update
09/24/20 at 06:24:22

Hello all, I just wanted to give an update on my progress with my Lii15. Thanks to the support here and to Randy for his craftsmanship and dedication to our crazy hobby! I am finally in my new house and have set up my system. As I discussed with several of you I am in the process of replacing my Node 2i with a Mac mini streaming with Audirvana to an Audiolab Mdac plus. I am a bit terrified as I am not a Mac guy and not very technical..

Regardless of what type of music I play, the Lii15 present it in such an easy way that I get pulled into the music and forget about the gear..

Thanks everyone for your help and patience with me!

20200923_215234_resize_63.jpg
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: Progress update
Reply #1 - 10/07/20 at 03:03:40

Alan,

Is it everything we said it would be?

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
AlanS
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/20 at 21:41:49

Hi Artman, yes! I am still playing with the set up and learning Audirvana and my new Audiolab MDac plus, but thrilled at the "feel" of the music through the Lii15 baffles that Randy built for me! They are perfect for me because, when I am not listening, I lift them by the handle and place them out of harms way.

In the picture you will notice that the right side has the arm of a couch in the way... And it must interfere with the music a bit because the music sounds slightly louder on that side.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 10/12/20 at 01:19:54

Hi Alan. Looks great! Glad you’re happy with the sound.

You might want to experiment with placing an area rug out in front of the speakers. Reduce echo a bit.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/12/20 at 02:27:53

Hi Alan,

Geno is right about putting a rug in front of the speakers. If you are in the experimenting phase, I suggest you also play with raising the front of the baffle. If you want more bass, raise the front baffle a couple inches, i.e., point the back wave more towards the floor/back wall boundary. There are a lot of tweaks to play with. You might discover something that makes them even sound better than now. I am glad you are enjoying them.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
AlanS
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/20 at 05:51:48

I will try both of these suggestions tomorrow, raising the front of the them and trying a small rug in front of them. Love the sound but I love working on the details too.

I will report back.

Thanks
Alan

IP Logged
AlanS
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/27/20 at 05:29:06

Hi guys, just checking. I have elevated the front of the speakers using door stop wedges and that helps with focus and a bit of bass.

As I mentioned, I am not a bass fanatic but I am wondering about "loading" my large room. It is 22' deep and 17' wide with 9' ceilings. I wonder if any of you have successfully integrated a sub? Also, any opinions on something like the ZRock type product?

Thanks
Alan

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/20 at 14:48:12

Alan,

Although I did not mention the effects on sound staging, other than increased bass, I noticed more high end energy, more perceived density of information and improved sound staging. I was curious if you would mention it in your response. For me, the overall effect was finding the music easier to listen to and to be more easily effected by the music.  I was also going to mention to explore the height between 1 and 1/2 and 2 and 1/2 inches. Finding that sweet spot of overall balance is the key.

I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your musical experience.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #8 - 10/27/20 at 15:44:52

Hi Alan,

Many of the Lii 15 baffle owners want to keep things simple and are just using them without any bass supplementation.

Your room is probably a bit larger than the rooms of most Lii 15 owners, so you are not getting the "reinforcement" of the side walls.

A ZROCK is certainly an option and would add some bottom end to the sound. The variable control allows you to dial in the amount you need.

Since the Lii F-15 driver goes down to 50 HZ, it's pretty easy to integrate a subwoofer with the main speakers and several of my customers have reported good results using a powered subwoofer.

One other option (but a bit more complicated) is adding the Lii Audio W-15 bass driver to the mix. It adds a wonderful foundation to any of the Lii Audio drivers, including the F-15.

Some info found here.

You can order the driver from Lii Audio and have a local woodworker make a baffle for it if you don't want to build something yourself.
It doesn't have to be anything fancy and can be powered with an inexpensive plate amplifier with good results.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print