Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 22:26:26 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Steve's TINY RADIAL project! (Read 77202 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's TINY RADIAL project!
Reply #300 - 08/04/20 at 00:45:52

Regarding the Tiny Radial Wish List...  

I have close to 30 on that list so far, and no worries, until everyone on the list gets contacted, there is no danger of being overlooked.

Last week I put these two pair on the page fairly late in the evening and before I could post about them, or even email the relevant people on the list, they were sold.  It took less than an hour for them to be discovered and purchased.

Today I posted two more pair and again both sold before I could walk up stairs to my email program and contact those relevant people on the list.  People are stalking the Tiny Radial page.  I may never get to add the page to our main site menu. ; )

Don't worry, I'll keep trying : )

Number 22 (not pictured here) and 23 were the first to have the 3D printed lens.  You can always tell a 3D printed lens because the stand-offs are black instead of white.

You can see all of these on the Tiny Radial page:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/TinyRadialProject.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #301 - 08/04/20 at 06:21:19

Boy am I late to this thread! I'll answer the original query first:
1) I listened to them from Taboo balanced -> HE1000v2

2) I'd pay $400-500

To me, they're a very nice, handmade, wood computer speaker that doesn't compromise on sound like all other computer speakers. Marketed that way, to complete a gaming/music/music setup where limited run keyboards can cost $4-500, these will have a strong appeal.

Steve, how much power do they need for a bedroom/office sized room? No need for them to play loud, but I wouldn't want to compromise on any part of the range at mid-volume. Would the Taboo be enough? What about my CSP2+, or handful of other semi-portable solid state headphone amps?

What would complete the appeal would be to be able to drive them from something pocket sized, or small tablet sized. At that point, they're a true tiny desktop speaker solution when space/price is at a premium.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
Sarah Richardson
Verified Member

The Decware Glue

Reply #302 - 08/04/20 at 17:33:12

BLACK AFRICAN SAPELE is SOLD

IP Logged
khedspeth
Verified Member

Reply #303 - 08/04/20 at 17:39:30

Hi to the group, this is Kevin.  Just purchased the red sapele TR's.  I can't take credit for stalking, I just happen to be on Facebook when they were posted there and jumped over.   However, stalking the page does seem like a good idea!  Excited to receive them especially after trying to build a pair for myself from the plans...didn't work out too well.  I have a Zen on order but will run them on a PS Audio Sprout while I wait.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #304 - 08/04/20 at 18:02:05

We recommend between 2 and 5 watts for the tiny radials in most cases.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #305 - 08/04/20 at 18:04:54

khedspeth,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!  I look forward to your impressions with both amps!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #306 - 08/05/20 at 08:34:59

Just a little update now that I have around 30 - 40 or so hours on my TRs. They have just disappeared. That's the best way that I can describe it. Maybe Steve should call them the Decware Houdinis. Even though they are 18 inches on either side of my head, you would swear that the dialogue is coming out of the tv. (Except that the sound is WAY clearer). For the money, this is right up there with the Betsys in bang for the buck.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #307 - 08/07/20 at 16:50:12

I went from 18’ all the way to 18 feet..I have one in the dining room and one radial in the family room...they have disappeared,crazy imaging,classical,jazz,piano,guitar,simply incredible.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 08/08/20 at 09:20:27

Tube,

I don't really have that much space to play around with in my office setup, but I'm thinking that I might try widening them out (to the extent that I can) just as an experiment. These last few years I've become so taken with the open baffle sound that I haven't really considered Steve's bigger radials.  These TRs make me think that I might want to take another look in that direction. Anybody with TRs who also has the bigger radials want to chime in with a comparison?

Randy

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #309 - 08/08/20 at 19:53:34

It's been a few weeks and I am enjoying my TR's very much. I had been using them with a Line Magnetic 218ia mini but wanted to see what a "better" SET amp would do so I went and picked up a well used Rachel.  IMO, these speakers have limitations and sound better to me with the "softer" genre's rather than more modern music. Even though my particular pair are dense and a bit heavier (s/n#004 see early posts by Steve) they still "bounce" and "walk" when I play more "lively" music and push the volume. They do a good job filling a small 12 x 14 office and have a nice bottom end despite the tiny 1.5" drivers, (great job on the design).

I hope to get a second pair eventually w/ the nicer binding posts, the heavier top piece and a fancy/rare/exotic wood with some nice shine and depth to it. I'm happy to let you guys fight over them for now, I can wait, and have no desire to stalk the page, I'm enjoying "watching" Steve master these little buggers one week at a time.

I put them head to head w/ my Falcon LS3/5A's and the truth is the Falcon's sound cleaner, richer, more natural with better Timbre, detail and depth to me, but NOT so much better that I would feel lacking or deprived with only the Tiny Radials as my daily drivers. The TR's are also NOT as amp picky as the Falcon's and at a savings of over $2k in comparison allow you plenty of amplifier and source choices if you were to build a nice small room set-up based on the Tiny Radials. They take well to a subwoofer and I have found them extremely easy to integrate with even an inexpensive sub. I prefer mine spaced about 5' apart and all that's left is for me to figure out some kind of isolating base for them to keep the vibrations off my desk. I'm really loving these and look forward to my second set a bit later on in the year. Good health to you Steve, stay well please and keeping making such awesome stuff for us.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #310 - 08/10/20 at 16:49:33

The last of the three burls showed up recently...

Another wood that will never be used again.  

This block (eBay picture above) cost $150. Sadly it was a wedge shape where one end was 1/4 higher than the other. The advertised measurement was from the thicker side. That 1/4 inch was my blade width x 7. Without that, there was no way to make 8 panels of 3/8 inch or even 1/4 inch. By now I already know that's a huge issue because the wood is going to warp. To get a finished 1/4 inch panel I almost have to start with 3/8.

Anyway, I sliced it into 9 panels that ended up at 1/8 inch and glued those to some Sapele panels. They warped anyway. After assembly and more flattening, I managed to get a perfect Tiny Radial. Then I started sanding it on a new sander and the belt spooled off the drum and shot the Tiny Radial out of my hand through the air and into the wall where it split into two halves as it bounced across the floor.

After glueing and clamping it back together I came back after it dried to find a trapezoid instead of a square. I broke it apart and fixed it again. Success.

3 days later the perfectly square Tiny Radial warped into a trapezoid again. You don't know how close it came to becoming firewood at that moment.

I warped it back and braced it internally so it can't ever happen again. The second Tiny Radial went together without any real issues because I purchased a new tool for my shop to deal with warpage after a board is freshly cut. It's called a spray bottle full of water. Using it I was able to un-warp all four panels of Tiny Radial #2 and after a 24 hour press they were flat as glass.

So at this point they are in finishing. Now I will have two pair of Tiny Radials made of rare exotic burls that are too expensive to sell because each pair has about 12 hours in it.  Time to move away from the burls and back into nice figured hardwoods.

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #311 - 08/10/20 at 18:28:05

Wow Steve, much respect for your restraint, and then the perseverance to continue to figure out solutions to make them workable TR. Just wow. They would have become firewood for me for sure, though maybe not because it's currently summer.. Smiley

I think I requested a Burl or two! Hopefully this isn't one of mine causing you such aggravation.

Richard

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #312 - 08/10/20 at 19:47:29

I bought a pair of these speakers based on cute value and my trust in Steves opinions.  I tried hooking them up on my computer desk above my head and they just didn't cut it there...I was hearing too much of the base and not enough out of the top.  I knew it wasn't a good setup but I got a little nervous about where to use them.  Well...I just got a new DAP and decided to try it as a source, ran it to a Bifrost and into a Mini Torri and put the speakers behind my monitor and holy heck, the sound just kicks my Audio engine powered speakers to the curb.  Once again, Steve keep up the good work as frustrating as it can be!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #313 - 08/11/20 at 15:56:28

Tubecan, Bottlehead, JohnWatson & Nick324  thank you for posting your results!  It really helps to learn how each pair of these is getting used.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
khedspeth
Verified Member

Reply #314 - 08/11/20 at 17:48:32

Mine are on the way.  Very eager to get them in and give them a listen.  To pass the time while waiting, I have started 3D printing some designs.  I tried to make a set to Steve's plans but my skills as a woodworker just are not there.  In no way will the 3D printed enclosures compare to Steve's TR's in beauty or sound but I am curious what is possible.  May even try epoxy fill some of the 3D printed components to improve the sound.  Report on the TR's when I get them set up.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #315 - 08/12/20 at 02:42:56

khedspeth welcome to the forums!  Since you bring up 3D printing, now is a good time to mention that I have been thinking of hosting a contest to see who can 3D print the coolest Tiny Radials and wondering if a $500 prize to the winner is any kind of real incentive, and wondering if there is a particular place to announce such a thing.  I am sure there are some great artists out there who can stun us all.  Besides the prize money we would name the design after the artist.  Do you think something like that would fly?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #316 - 08/12/20 at 03:56:52

On a less frustrating note, tonight I built another (my third) pair of Exotic Afromosia Tiny Radials.

This pair was made after the addition of a new sander and a few other tweaks in the shop. Since this project started my attention has really been on the process, and tonight the process felt perfect. It was a real joy to run through each step of construction and have everything come out so well it almost assembles itself.  So I now look forward to making many more and appreciate everyones patients who has been waiting for more to show up on the page.  

On a similar note, the new sander (Flat-Master) is a game changer on finishing because if you start with a glass flat panel when you varnish, then sand each coat perfectly flat, you will never sand through the finish on the edges, corners, or anywhere else. This is going to make it possible to do high gloss finishes on those woods that demand it, without a lot of stress.  For example, I could if I wanted to probably get the same results in 5 coats that took 50 coats before...  

Because only the sanding grit contacts the wood, not paper, all wood densities, i.e. sapwood, knots and everything in-between sand to the exact same flatness which is impossible by hand, or with a belt or conventional drum sander, or any other method.  My extremely good orbital sander is now retired.

Another thing about this amazing sander, it will sand varnish, glue, paint, whatever... and NEVER have even a trace of it stick to the paper.  In fact the other day it totally blew my mind when each side of a Tiny Radial felt refrigerated after sanding.  Literally, the 3 sides in contact with my hand were warm and as I rotated each side and sanded it, it then become cool to the touch.  Mind blowing really.

So with this technology it means when I finish a Tiny Radial and just don't like it... I can just sand it off and do it again.  Less than 5 minutes, same small piece of sandpaper I have been using for the past several weeks... hell in sandpaper costs alone it will pay for itself in less than a year.

Plus there is no real sound... no dust, no vibration, no changing pads all the time, it's just incredible frankly. Get this... the anti-static drum and air cushion under the paper keep sawdust from sticking to paper and it just falls off the drum into a tray.  You don't even need a vacuum.  No noise, no dust, no way to burn it, no clogging the paper, no changing the paper, it's like magic.  Reminds me of our amplifiers. ; )

I guess it's in my blood now...  When you build a biblical number Zen Triode Amplifiers over 25 years, the same amp, it becomes about constantly refining the process to create a better product which becomes more challenging and satisfying than the amplifier design itself.

So, it's starting to get fun now...  and the fact that they have been so well received is of course what is driving this forward. It is very satisfying to be able to make something that everyone can afford... and likes!  It get's back to the roots of Decware when 20 years ago you could buy a Zen Triode amplifier for the price of a deluxe Tiny Radial today!  I can see why Randy is so happy making Betsy Baffles.  He was the inspiration and partial pattern for the Tiny Radial project... And guess what... he can't build enough of those either!

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #317 - 08/12/20 at 04:50:43

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #318 - 08/12/20 at 07:56:58

Steve,

I love the idea of a Tiny Radial 3-D printing contest. Can't wait to see what some of the more creative among us will come up with. Might be just the challenge needed to get Donnie going on 3-D printing. Donnie?

Randy

IP Logged
khedspeth
Verified Member

Reply #319 - 08/12/20 at 10:03:16

Steve,

I agree on the 3D printing contest, great idea.  I'd love to see what some of the creative people can come up with.  I think I better buy up a few sets of the Tang Band speakers, they might run out of stock!

My current 3D prints are to test sound only, I get no points for creativity in the design.

IMG_1654b.jpg
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #320 - 08/12/20 at 11:35:05

I'm running the 3D printing contest past my guys today.

Let's see what they can come up with.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #321 - 08/14/20 at 02:46:45

Is there any back wave on these Tang Band drivers?
It sure doesn't look like it.

Hmm, if not that changes everything on our initial plan of some sort of exotic looking horn.

Some ideas were thrown about some sort of spherical radial-horn mashup.

I'll think of some way of inspiring the designers to keep thinking.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #322 - 08/15/20 at 00:00:12

It would be awesome if there would be a way to integrate a small and simple version of the Zen Triode and make them little active speakers that you can directly feed from a little DAC connected to the computer....

I would sign up for one of those  :)

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #323 - 08/15/20 at 00:52:03

You used to be able to buy DNA speakers with a Zen amp built into the cabinet. . . .  I have never heard anyone comment on them at all. If you're really interested I would talk with Steve or Sarah. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #324 - 08/17/20 at 19:44:10

I placed a pair of omega super 3i on some isoacoustics,woofers facing up and 2cd jewel boxes on each speaker as a lens,,,images like nothing anyone’s ever heard,almost tiny radial imaging.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #325 - 08/19/20 at 03:27:24

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #326 - 08/19/20 at 06:32:12

Gorgeous!

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #327 - 08/19/20 at 06:39:29

I keep watching these hoping they'll be listed for sale soon Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #328 - 08/20/20 at 17:18:08

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #329 - 08/20/20 at 22:17:24

Wow!! Those almost look like old world cartography on a tiny radial.

Was that the end result of the Burl that gave you so much trouble a few posts above? Thank goodness it didn't get turned into firewood..

Richard

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #330 - 08/21/20 at 00:37:13

Yes, take a good look at it because I won't be making another pair from this wood ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #331 - 08/21/20 at 04:39:17

So this is actually the one that launched across my shop and tormented me.  

You can see the repair in the right mitre (scroll right) if you know what to look for.  I was able to hide it in the radius with the high gloss that keeps your eye moving to the next surface.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/up43wjmz63

Here is a video of the pair, be sure to watch this, it is just beautiful wood.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #332 - 08/21/20 at 04:58:44

Are we having fun yet?   Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #333 - 08/21/20 at 05:01:22

They look amazing, just bought one of these beauties, looking forward seeing (and hearing) them in person!  :)

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #334 - 08/21/20 at 05:13:45

We'll expect a full report, ideally with pictures ; )

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 08/21/20 at 05:24:41

Sure thing, I can also do the unfair comparison to my ERRx  ;)

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #336 - 08/21/20 at 05:36:37

On your desktop they will sound exactly like your ERRX except for the low bass.  However with the $99 sub and a Zen Triode amp driving the Tiny Radials you will have an exact duplicate on your desktop, perhaps better.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #337 - 08/21/20 at 05:43:00

Still waiting for the next batch to go on sale so I can try one for desktop use Smiley

The tough part may be figuring out whether to snag the next one available, or to wait to see if any of my suggestions turn into TR. Good quandary to have I think.

This one is absolutely beautiful. If it's available for sale, I may not be able to hold out.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #338 - 08/21/20 at 06:50:11

Hey Stefan,

That's exactly the comparison review that I've been hoping for. I've been so impressed with the non-directionality (if that's actually a word) of the TRs in my office setup, that I'm wondering if I should be looking at the ERRx for my bedroom system. I'd have to sell my beautiful Omega Alnico High Output monitors in walnut, but it might be worth it. Anyway, please post a review of the Big Brother/Little Brother shootout when you can.

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #339 - 08/21/20 at 19:46:20

Bottle,

2 small rooms  with a couch between them,those master series would be here if I had the ‘room’.just have to keep waiting till they’re the size of my head with that rs5 alnico...I swear I dreamt  that,and a tiny version of the DNA,same woofer.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #340 - 08/21/20 at 20:22:22

... and it turns out my browser had cached the Tiny Radial page so it kept showing the Black Sapele first and I didn't see the new ones being listed Sad bummed out.

IP Logged
Sarah Richardson
Verified Member

The Decware Glue

Reply #341 - 08/21/20 at 20:52:13

CINNAMON AFROMOSIA & EXOTIC AMBOYNA BURL SOLD last night. Better luck next time.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 08/21/20 at 21:14:59

@bottlehead: sure, I'll post some comparison once I have the little ones.

Q: what are people using as amp for the Tiny Radials? I would love to use the Zen Triode amp, but it is a little too big for my desk, any good other alternatives or I just need to get a bigger desk?  8-)

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #343 - 08/21/20 at 21:28:44

Is there an adjacent wall you can mount the amp on?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #344 - 08/21/20 at 22:05:34

Hang it off the edge of the desk. Steve has one mounted on the wall where he is recording the TRs!

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #345 - 08/21/20 at 23:10:39

Thx, I like the hanging it off the wall idea Smiley

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #346 - 08/23/20 at 01:59:23

I may make a Tiny Radial Tube amp if the popularity of these speakers continues to grow.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #347 - 08/23/20 at 02:21:27

UPDATE

Tonight I want to talk about the lens...

So far my 3D printing with resin experience has been mostly miserable despite the good results, the time it is taking and the failed prints for more reasons than I could list.  Since I am OK with the print when it comes out right, I did the logical thing and sent it to a real 3D printing business.  One that could 3D print metal if I wanted.  Hehe, in fact I priced a lens printed in solid gold and it was only $28,000.00.  I'm pretty sure that any company with the ability to do that, and the balls to list it on the site can handle my little task.  The price for the lens comes to about $20.00 a lens.  Worth it in my opinion if they come out good.  I should know next week.

The lens design works on pressure, not reflection.  I designed it to make the speakers sound like they were in the next room, and that's exactly how they sound.  That said, if you are using them as desktop speakers or setting directly in the sweet spot, you may like a bit more presence in the top end.

After a week or so of designing more esoteric lenses now that I can 3D print it vs. make it from wood, I received such a Zen solution it's just mind numbing. Any reflector needs a large surface area that is either flat or very slightly arced, like your hand. Anything like that has two issues right of the bat... A) it looks like shit and B) it's directional.

An upside-down Hershey's kiss shaped reflector does not work because counter intuitively it is round and makes no pressure. Neither does a solid crystal sphere the same diameter as the driver or smaller, which is sad because that may have looked cool too. In fact you can't hear the spheres when they are placed and removed. Does basically nothing but actually reduce presence.

So, once again the answer was so obvious, I couldn't see it, looking for something more complicated until finally the Audio Gods had had enough and stuck me in the eye with the answer. It hurt too. Nevertheless, here is the answer, straight from above, and man does it work well.

It is like adding a tweeter, but it's 100% radially dispersed! I'm still shaking my head at how well these work for the intended purpose.

You can't make this shit up.

I will sell the extra lens on the Tiny Radial Project Page when they become available.  I will call it a "presence layer".  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #348 - 08/23/20 at 02:42:22

It looks like a Pagoda!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #349 - 08/23/20 at 03:33:51

Yes,

So now that I am listening to the Tiny Radials with a second "presence layer" there is a dramatic change to what I am used to. Before they sounded like they were in the next room, which is to say that I kept thinking I was listening to the speakers in the listening room instead of in the  adjacent space where myself and the speakers actually are. This mod makes the speakers sound like they are in this space, no question, and for desktop listening it takes things to another level.

It changes the sound from a background sound to a foreground sound. I would like to eventually make them magnetically attach to the existing lens so you can easily take them on and off.

This is only the second time I have gotten to hear a true radial high frequency pattern that works right. The other time was the egg speakers. This is better because it doesn't rely on peaked frequency response to make up for dispersion losses. The lens design on the Tiny Radial increases efficiency so it is just the opposite of the egg design.

So, in summary, yes they are in the room now, not in the next room and as soon as I want to have big background music coming from the next room I'll simply remove the second lens.

This has taken foreground listening with the little subwoofer to new heights as well! Crap, with the sub and the added 6dB of highs from the second lens, the sound is pretty damn good in a small space, it would be some real head games to play on unsuspecting friends when they find out the sound is coming from a 2 watt amp driving 1.5 inch speakers with a tiny 8 inch subwoofer.  

Remembering back to the oringal Bose Acoustimass® system, while in fairness it got a lot louder, this Tiny Radial rig just spanks its ass all over the place... not even close. The Acoustimass® cubes I measured in my lab had a 12dB peak at 200Hz. The sub was crossed at around 180Hz. The plastic enclosures made playing loud sound like a plastic dildo burning on the stove...  but it was the general publics first exposure to the illusion of a hidden subwoofer and tiny speakers... and for that they deserve a lot of credit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Send Topic Print