Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:56:37 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Steve's TINY RADIAL project! (Read 75537 times)
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's TINY RADIAL project!
Reply #400 - 09/10/20 at 01:13:17

Hey Dom,
yes, I think they are a steal for that price (hope Steve is not reading this  ;) ), they also work better closer together in the 0.5-2m range and closer to a wall, like in a shelf, compared to the ERRx. And they are just beautiful to look at. I'll get another pair once you don't need to check every day if new ones come available  :)

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #401 - 09/10/20 at 05:19:28

So now that I'm past the process, which is what has made this particularly fun, I am making a video series of a Tiny Radial being made.  Here is part one:

Here is the link to part 1:  https://decware.wistia.com/medias/ihp4cwo121

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #402 - 09/11/20 at 01:12:17

Here is Part II of the Tiny Radial Build

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/iml7zqj0tm

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #403 - 09/11/20 at 17:40:21

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #404 - 09/11/20 at 23:48:28

I enjoyed the videos.

It was interesting how you engineered your way around the more technical cuts.
By the way, nice shop and really nice tools.
The Steve Miller songs were a nice touch!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #405 - 09/11/20 at 23:56:25

Remember this awhile back? Well, the pair is finally done moving and I was able to get them to stay flat making it possible to do a high gloss finish at last.  You would have been shocked to see what this wood did after the cabinet was finished, even under linseed oil. Every burl opened up like an eye and swelled proud of the surface. I had to flatten and refinish this pair four times over the past couple months.  It has looked like this four times.  I know it's done moving now, because these have been done for well over a month and still flat on all sides.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/k6szltg15e

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #406 - 09/12/20 at 00:12:06

Personally, as cool as the burls are I actually like things that are simpler, and the Padauk is becoming one of my favorite woods for Tiny Radials!

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/fbrdshfwkx

Actually I like all the woods.  I'd like to have all 30 pair and arrange them in a giant arc and then just set there and gaze at them.

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #407 - 09/12/20 at 00:17:01

I agree, the burls are mesmerizing, but the simple beauty is stunning.
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #408 - 09/12/20 at 05:44:52

The Tiny Radial Build video is progressing...  I'm uploading several more parts...  we're getting there. After these, the next parts will be the plinth and the lens.  

It has taken a lot of time and money to get the process to this stage and I am enjoying sharing it in almost real time...  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #409 - 09/14/20 at 16:46:13

So, the TR's should be arriving in a couple of days and at least initially I'll set them up in my small-ish dining room. Thinking I'll try this:

Bluesound Node 2 > SE84UFO > Tiny Radials / Ohm MicroSubwoofer 10

This is about as simple and convenient as I can get using a digital source. I have a pair of the Ohm subs but wonder if 2 would be overkill. Thoughts?

I may have to hook up the turntable as well .. just because.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #410 - 09/14/20 at 21:05:53

Melvin, if the sub is placed in a good location, one single should fill very nicely. I have used them with a single and double sub set-up and find it much more difficult to tune 2x subs to them. It’s a bit much IMO.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #411 - 09/14/20 at 22:55:03

Thanks Nick .. much appreciated.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #412 - 09/15/20 at 04:35:43

Here is Part 4 of the Tiny Radial Build.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/p5ify3x8to

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #413 - 09/15/20 at 04:40:15

Here is part 5 of the Tiny Radial Build.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/sno9vt4dq3

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #414 - 09/15/20 at 04:44:35

Here is part 6 of the Tiny Radial Build

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/9twjfn132p

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #415 - 09/15/20 at 05:04:07

UPDATE:

So far I have sold 30 pair of Tiny Radials and the longest a pair has been on the page without being sold is 84 minutes. I have even been posting them at odd times of the day and night... doesn't matter.

This is great! But to answer the popular question: When will you have more in stock? The answer is unknown, except that on average a few pair show up on the page every couple weeks.

I am thrilled to announce that I have talked Bob Ziegler into a working vacation during this years DECFEST 2020 that isn't going to happen because of COVID19. He and I will be spending 4 days doing and thinking about nothing but how many Tiny Radials we can make in that time frame.

This will be a special batch of Tiny Radials.  A tag team effort from Bob & Steve... I think I will create a unique serial number for this rare batch.. perhaps TRBS035, the BS standing for Bob&Steve... maybe I should make it Steve&Bob... I think about that.

So by October this new batch will start showing up on the page. Prior to that I only have a few more pair getting ready to post.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #416 - 09/15/20 at 13:35:00

Steve, I remember seeing one of the newer pairs available and saying to myself, “ohhh those look gorgeous i Need them in my life.” I turned around to grab my cc and refreshed the page to put them in my cart....Gone in the blink of an eye. LOL this has turned into a sort of mini-treasure hunt. Can’t wait for the triple flang heavy base models.. Please continue to have fun making them and knowing they have turned into a Coveted little treasure for folks. Happy listening to all.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #417 - 09/16/20 at 01:15:28

My TR's arrived today (a day early!). In anticipation of their arrival I had everything in place and I'm now having a listen. First, I'd like to mention they're beautiful furniture-grade little pieces of sculpture. They're also adorable and aesthetically perfect for my dining room. Second, they sound better out of the box than expected. I'll leave further sound quality comments for a later time assuming they'll need some break-in. Speaking of break-in, how long might that be?

Steve .. thank you so much for what you do.

IP Logged
SteveLuck
Verified Member

Reply #418 - 09/16/20 at 04:51:26

Hi Steve I bought the plans and thought these would make great Xmas presents for my niece and two nephews - great music without them annoying their mum too much with throbbing bass through the house.  But I'd need to provide a cheap amp to go with them for the immediate future.  Problem is all the cheap amps seem to be pumping out 50 watts plus but the drivers on these speakers max out at 20 watt and 80db sensitivity.  Is there an easy way to stop the kids blowing the drivers or is that unlikely ?  I see parts express do a plate amp subwoofer combo kit that keeps it down to 30 watts per channel.  Thoughts?

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #419 - 09/16/20 at 08:24:24

Hello, SteveLuck
The lowest cost amps I know which have great sound are the Jerry Curtis Spud https://spudkit.com/?page_id=198  
Featured as a kit, but also available built by Jerry and tested. $650

And the lowest priced Decware amp: model SE84UFO  $995
https://www.decware.com/newsite/tubes.html

Both are around 3 Watts power.

Brian

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #420 - 09/16/20 at 18:25:12

Considering I'll soon be using the SE84UFO in the main system again now that the summer heat has ended, this morning I swapped the amp out for my APPJ PA0901A. I replaced the original tubes with a Genelex Gold Lion and some Mullard re-issues. Using the 4 ohm taps the sound is surprisingly good so far even with only a couple of hours of break in.

IP Logged
SteveLuck
Verified Member

Reply #421 - 09/18/20 at 12:49:35

Have you got a track listing for the first video you posted?  Plugged some headphones in and had a proper listen - blown away.  Have drivers on backorder Sad  but found a modest priced Chinese John Linsley Hood Class Amp that maxes out at 12watt.  To run as a desk system or part of a xmas present.  I fancy trying a Zen amp on my Carfrae horn (licensed) replicas. Currently have them running ACA monoblocks. Maybe the same mix of wood paint and MDF on the Tiny Radials.

Carfrae_Horn_Replicas.jpg
  IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #422 - 09/23/20 at 20:32:22

just got my littel speakers and these things are really neat.  The sound is just good and just for kicks added my omega 8" subwoofer to it and just wonderful

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #423 - 09/24/20 at 03:47:00

Melvin,  Great picture!

SteveLuck, Sadly I don't have that track list but you could probably use SoundHound app to find out what it was.  Nice horns btw!  Great job!

JazztoGo, They seem to pair extremely well with the smaller subwoofers! And you're right it takes them to a completely new level.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #424 - 09/24/20 at 13:41:17

Day 9 with the TR's .. they've responded to break-in as expected with some moments of real beauty. I'd guess I have about 30 hours on them now and they're opening up nicely. I recently ripped out the carpeting in this room making sub integration a bit of a chore but I think I have it dialed in pretty good now. Really like what I'm hearing.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #425 - 09/25/20 at 02:27:00

Here is part 7 of the Tiny Radial Build...

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/lt71e0llfe

Steve

:)

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #426 - 09/25/20 at 02:31:56

WWW   IP Logged
SteveLuck
Verified Member

Reply #427 - 09/25/20 at 10:37:46

Thanks for posting the Videos and putting the plans up for sale.  I'm putting together a mini system around these speakers on a budget - cheapish class A amp - bluetooth to RCA adapter and I like AntiCables for price and sound.  Not super high end but enough to get some better tunes into my sisters house.  The kids have all got Ipads and Ipods that can stream to bluetooth until they get a better source and the compact speakers shouldn't cause any objections.

That catalysed? hard wax finish looks amazing stuff.  Lot's of timber in NZ but not much figured stuff.  I'm talking to a guy who's got Burl Poplar - would hard wax go over water based stain?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #428 - 09/26/20 at 01:36:35

A half day yesterday and 10 hours today, Bob and I have made some progress on the Tiny Radials...

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #429 - 09/26/20 at 01:37:02

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #430 - 09/26/20 at 01:42:30

The woods I had in the shop for this project were Bubinga, Red Oak, Walnut, Birdseye Maple.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #431 - 09/26/20 at 01:46:22

So this is what standing at the bandsaw for two days gets ya... that was my job.

That's Bob in the background : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #432 - 09/26/20 at 01:52:41

It will use up around $3K worth of Tiny Radial Drivers. : )

Tomorrow will be putting the miters on the edges and seeing how many Tiny Radials we can get glued together.  That will mean sitting on soft stools most of the day at the table, which after standing for two days at the bandsaw will be a welcome relief.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #433 - 09/26/20 at 02:33:09

Holy shit! That is a pile of wood!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #434 - 09/26/20 at 02:38:19

I know right...

I was on the last 3 panels on the band saw when the blade snapped and sent both myself and Bob at least 10 inches off the floor because it sounded like something exploded.  (Snapped at the weld - carbon steel) Anyway, we could say that this is how many pieces you can cut on a single 3/4 inch blade. : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #435 - 09/26/20 at 02:56:17

Did you clean out Parts Expresses' warehouse of all of the drivers?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #436 - 09/26/20 at 04:56:11

And binding posts

WWW   IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #437 - 09/26/20 at 05:54:25

Incredible pictures!

Can you share some of the changes you're putting in place to operationalize the production of Tiny Radials? Now that Bob is here, how are you changing/streamlining the process to crank these out faster/more efficiently?

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #438 - 09/26/20 at 08:04:12

Steve,

Great pics...you are really making progress with Bob helping out.  I can’t wait to see how the Tiny Radials come out in the Bubbinga Wood.  They will match my ERR’s in the Bubbinga perfectly.  I call dibs on a pair. 😄

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #439 - 09/26/20 at 23:07:57

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #440 - 09/27/20 at 00:51:42

And all I got done today was sanding and priming one pair of speakers.

I'm such a slacker compared to Bob and you.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #441 - 09/27/20 at 02:54:40

Be glad because I can tell you right now, so far the first three days of this have been brutal.  Took most of the fun right out of it.  But the fun will come back into it as soon as they all find a home.  The demand is high right now.

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #442 - 09/27/20 at 19:45:30

Me thinks you could see a "tiny" bit of fun today as one set sailing outta there.

I have listened to a set and held one unfinished unit in my hand.  These rascals are for sure the real deal.

My set will join a full sized pair of RL3's in the house.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #443 - 09/28/20 at 04:12:55

Here is the version 2 lens for the Tiny Radials. What is different about it, is the texture, and it is being printed by a professional 3D printing company in a special black Nylon.  The fact that I don't have to print it is the best part. I am looking forward to getting a large number of these in next week for our recent batch of Tiny Radials.  :D

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #444 - 09/28/20 at 04:38:18

Today started like this

Unwrapping all the taped up Tiny Radial cabinets so we can spend the day sanding.  Get this... We spent 12 hours, two men, sanding tiny radials.  That's all we did today, all day.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #445 - 09/28/20 at 05:40:51

Creating matched pairs by determining the front and backs and finding book matched patterns where possible...  This was before the sanding started.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #446 - 09/28/20 at 05:50:45

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #447 - 09/28/20 at 05:58:47

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #448 - 09/28/20 at 06:10:49

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #449 - 09/28/20 at 06:11:34

Literally the entire 12 hour day sanding. Two men. All day... but they are perfect.  Each one hard to set down after you've picked it up.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Send Topic Print