04/19/24 at 07:49:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP! Need amp advice (Read 2107 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

HELP! Need amp advice
06/10/22 at 11:44:34

Of course it happened now. After 27 years, I decided to blow the thick dust off my Rotel amp and sure enough, have a right channel problem now. I’m on the list for a mkv, csp3 and zrock, but want a tube amp now as a replacement. This replacement will then be my bedroom amp. So, I’m looking for a tube amp that will run Zu Soul Supremes, 16 ohms, efficiently/safely. Can I run an 8 ohm amp and not have a negative affect on sound? Will it damage the amp or speakers? Any advice would be appreciated.
P.s. I’m heading to work now so if I don’t reply until later, I’m not being rude. I will check back in in a few hours. Thanks

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re: HELP! Need amp advice
Reply #1 - 06/11/22 at 02:45:28

Call Zu!

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/22 at 03:12:48

Gene Rubin has a like-new Cayin A-50T Mk2 on eBay.  If you call him directly, I’ll bet you could get a spectacular deal.  And by the way, Gene is a warm, friendly, honest, caring business owner that bends over backwards to take care of his customers.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 06/11/22 at 03:15:59

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/22 at 13:58:30

Good idea about calling Zu. Thanks DancingSea. I’ve been so absorbed in finding an amp with 16ohms, I didn’t think to call them.
One of the amps that came up was the Cayin a-88T, which from reviews sounds like a good option. The one drawback is the having to open the bottom plate to adjust the bias. As a novice, sounds a bit intimidating.
I will call Gene. Thanks guys

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/22 at 20:56:51

Well I did my usual impulse buy and bought a demo Synthesis Roma 753ad. Shop owner talked very highly of the brand and I wanted to avoid certain bargain brands. Of course I doubled the projected budget but I hope the sounds worth it.
Funny side note, the owner seems to think I’ll prefer this over the incoming Decware! He was very complimentary of Decware and the staff, says he prefers the vintage sounds more than the more modern tube sound that’s all. It will be cool to have both I suppose.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/22 at 22:00:33

Congrats!

Can always sell the one you like least.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/11/22 at 23:46:39

That’s exactly how I justified the expenditure! Lol. All I can do since researching and buying the Decware is think about tube amps and having something quality to push my new speakers. By next weekend, Zu speaker cables and amp should be in. I travel abroad but will be home on Sunday. Monday night should be fun.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/11/22 at 23:57:32

Audiophile purchasing rationales are universal.  Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print