Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 20:42:19 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 175202 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #150 - 07/22/19 at 05:01:20

And as I said the ability to do that makes it possible to do any recorded music with uncanny intricacy.  But this is not an imaging thing as I make it out to be but a combination of perfect frequency balance, speed in all the right places, and timbre that make the illusion possible.

Right now I am listening to 'Sweet Pain' Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Michael Brook - Night Song' and I have never heard anything sound so real.  It's like just because I owned this recording doesn't mean I've ever actually heard it... but now, holy crap!  I had a real suspicion when I got past the first few hours of the Betsy Alnico drivers in my Betsy Baffles that something great was going to happen.  If just a way to add some lower end scale to it, I thought.  It would become a new reference I thought... and trust me it has.  Just insane.  It just sounds so real.  Also I am only using the SE84UFO25 by itself being fed from the ZTPRE and a good DAC.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 07/22/19 at 15:31:59

Holy crap Batman!   Grin  I just had to say it.  It's Steve's catchphrase.   Wink

I've been in communication with LII Audio regarding their Crystal-10 vs their F-15.  This is what they had to say:

Quote:
As for the bass slam, honestly, F-15, for its size, do a little better. Crystal-10 is a different style, its mid and high are super sweet and exquisite, especially when you play a track of female voice, Leon who designed Leonidas XO of pure audio project said it's "to die for". For Crystal-10, the bass is OK as most people said, but not rocking.

Besides, Crystal-10 is more sensitive to enclosure than F-15, we recommend enclosed box with at least 220L capacity to give it space to perform well, I personally did some experiments, different boxes can make great differences to this driver.

Since we are discussing open baffles here, I think this driver is out of contention and I'm back to building HUGE baffles.   Undecided

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #152 - 07/22/19 at 15:49:15

And you'll save a shitload of money to boot!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #153 - 07/22/19 at 16:13:01

Quote:
How important is the recess?  Randy doesn't seem to recess his Betsys.  (Or does he?)

Hi Archie,

No, I do not.
The hardwood on my baffles is about 3/4" thick after processing.
If I recessed the driver, there would only be about 1/2" of material behind the driver and the screws I would have to use would not be long enough to secure the drivers properly, in my opinion. I also don't want to take the chance of cracking or splitting the narrow center section of wood on the two tone hardwood baffles because of it being too thin.

The packaging materials I use have to accommodate the 3/4" plywood that I use for the less expensive speakers, so I just make the two tone hardwood version 3/4" thick as well.

For what it's worth, I did build a pair with recessed drivers and did an A / B with a stock pair. I could hear no sonic difference.

The surface mounted drivers look fine to me from the listening seat, so I never gave it any additional thought.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 07/22/19 at 16:22:46

Thanks Randy.  I wasn't sure since one of Steve's pictures seemed to show your's recessed.  I prefer the look of the surface mount and if there is no sonic benefit from recessing then I'll save myself the extra step.  I'm also considering gluing up the panel (center-ish joint) after running through a bandsaw to avoid cutting the big arc with a router.  Clamping against the curved edge of the pieces gives me some hesitation though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 07/22/19 at 16:54:16

I guess I'm committed to building a pair of the mega Betsy's as I just ordered a set of drivers.   Tongue

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 07/22/19 at 16:58:57

Mine are shipped but I am not sure of the delivery date.  My issue is I am out of town the next two weekends so an early results won't be available for a while.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #157 - 07/22/19 at 17:07:51

Drawings are in process!
I hope to have a pretty good looking drawing of the Big Betsy's this afternoon.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 07/22/19 at 17:11:00

Now I've got to get out to my shop and get organized to handle these big pieces.  Making them out of large BB blanks will really help the process along.  I'm using Steve's drawing and a design-as-you-go process.

For anyone who hasn't explored the LII Audio site, they sell a very interesting speaker that uses their Crystal-10 driver.  They look surprisingly affordable too given the geometry and what they charge for the drivers alone.  Maybe someone in California can demo them?  (They have a couple pair in a warehouse there.)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 07/22/19 at 17:13:43

Very cool Donnie.  We should soon know of the sound from big, mid and original besty sized baffles.

I have to figure out the best way to draw/cut the arc.  I have a new router but may do some freehanding.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 07/22/19 at 17:30:54

Any good ways to cut the driver opening?  I'd like to use a router with a guide bushing but I don't know how to make the template.  I can cut perfect circles on my bandsaw but not an inside circle.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #161 - 07/22/19 at 17:44:23

I use one of these for inside and outside holes and radii.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Milescraft-CircleGuideKit/1000233663

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 07/22/19 at 18:06:02

Parts Express also sells a jasper jig specifically for speakers.  

I just made one out of Plexiglas.  

I have also seen one made with a thin board.  Pin hole and then a hole for your router bit (make them 1/2 your driver cutout distance apart).  I made my pin out of an old broken drill bit.

I always cut a blank and test using an old piece of wood before I try it on the expensive stuff.

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #163 - 07/22/19 at 18:47:30

Just a nube here.... where do you purchase the Betsy alinco drivers ?

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 07/22/19 at 18:58:30

Local price (Chicago) on made to order maple butcher block (pickup only).

42" x 32" x 1.5" w/poly finish - $300ea

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 07/22/19 at 19:03:15

I think just contact them and ask:

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/contact.php

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #166 - 07/22/19 at 19:07:27

Quote:
Just a nube here.... where do you purchase the Betsy alinco drivers ?

Hi Tom,

Palomino is correct .....

My arrangement with Wild Burro Audio Labs does not permit me to sell the raw drivers ..... only if they are installed in my Betsy baffles.

You can contact Douglas at :

http://www.wildburroaudio.com/contact.php

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #167 - 07/22/19 at 20:54:33

Circles with a router:
https://www.parts-express.com/jasper-circle-jig-model-200--365-250
Been using it for years, works great.  Diameter from about 2" to 19" in 1/16" increments.  Only down side is you pin in the exact center, so once you've cut a circle you can't cut a larger one (without gluing the cutout back in - which I've done on occation).

IP Logged
TomR
Verified Member

Reply #168 - 07/22/19 at 21:13:23

Thanks for the Betsy sourcing information

Tom in Lafayette

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 07/22/19 at 21:30:57

I need to figure out the jig for the sides.  I’ll just make a board jig.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #170 - 07/22/19 at 22:23:52

Here is the Big Betsy print that my guy did today.
I hope that it helps someone.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 07/23/19 at 01:21:53

Those are good circle jig suggestions.  However, now that I'm into the project I'm determined to spend a little as possible.  So far I have the baffles cut (but not smoothed) and my cost is "0" since everything was already in my shop.  I think I'll cut a circle on my band saw and then make the negative template using my router and a guide bushing.

One thing I did wrong was I didn't see the top and bottom dimension and I used Steve's "sacred Geometry" of R=42".  I missed the "around 42 inches" in his early post.  So mine have a top and bottom around 21 1/2".  Mine truly are sacred geometrically correct!   Roll Eyes

Since I had to glue up my panels from two pieces of butcher block, I went ahead and cut the radii on my bandsaw.  I'll do like Randy said he does and clamp the baffles together and belt-sand the edges smooth.

What driver hole diameter is everyone using?  I saw that Randy thought 14 1/8" might be good.  I'd like as small an opening as possible to leave plenty of meat for the screws.

These baffles made out of 1 1/2" maple are beasts to move.  I can't imagine how Steve maneuvered his around his shop given how much more they must weigh.  Once the bases are on I might be using a hand truck.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #172 - 07/23/19 at 02:30:34

Quote:
What driver hole diameter is everyone using?  I saw that Randy thought 14 1/8" might be good.  I'd like as small an opening as possible to leave plenty of meat for the screws.

Hi Archie,

I made a template with an opening of 14 1/8" and the F15 driver fit in it with a little bit of play ..... you might be able to get by with 14 1/16".

From what I read on the Lii Audio website, it looks like the spec for the driver opening is 355 mm.

If that is correct, my conversion table makes that 13.9764".
The template that I have been using for the Hawthorne Audio Augie 15" driver and the Eminence Alpha 15" driver is 14" exactly.
The F15 driver would not sit flat in that template .....

I'm hoping that Steve will weigh in on this.
It's possible that the baskets on my pair have a slight anomaly, but I don't think so ..... neither one would sit flat in my 14" template.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #173 - 07/23/19 at 12:48:05

Mine fit just right in a 14" cutout

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 07/23/19 at 13:49:30

Measured mine and it’s 14 1/8”.  Drivers due to arrive Friday but I will be in Michigan for the weekend Angry

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #175 - 07/23/19 at 14:22:10

Big baffles:  Something's not adding up -

Steve's drawing and Donnie's show the big baffles as being 32.66" wide at the widest point and 20.56" wide at the top and bottom.  This should correspond to a 42" height and a 42" radius cut on the outer arc's (but I lack the mathematical skills to verify this radius cut measurement).  Donnie's drawing shows this is a 39.6" radius cut, which is way off from 42".

But Steve's drawing also shows the widths of the boards used:  7.22" (outer wenge), 8.39" (inner paduke), and 3.81 (center wenge).  If the 3 middle board widths are added up you get 8.39 + 3.81 + 8.39 = 20.59" which is wider than the baffle width at the top and bottom.  This leaves nothing for the outer board's width at the top and bottom which is clearly wrong, as can be seen in the pictures.  So, are the board width's the pre-planed widths and have nothing to do with their final size, or are the top and widest width measurements off?

Unfortunately, I went with the board sizes and came up with 35" wide at the widest point, and then measured / guessed / interpolated the width of the two outer boards at the bottom from the photo and came up with 24" wide at top and bottom.  This turned out to be a 43" radius cut which I thought was "close enough".

However, while sounding very interesting and different from other speakers, (my first impression was "holy crap, I need to get a bigger room") I am definitely NOT getting the bass and bass slam that Steve has been talking about.  I may need to trim my arch's a bit.

Randy - what are your original baffle's width measurements at the top and the widest point and the height measurement?

Dan

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 07/23/19 at 15:08:33

I had another idea to get closer to the weight and density of the Steve's big baffles.

I looked up 42" oak stair treads at Owl Hardware.  They are 11.5" wide and 1" thick.  Called and the cost is around $26 each.

I would have them trim a little more than 1/2" or so off each one, removing the rounded portion of the tread and glue them together.  $80 for each baffle or double them up for $160 per baffle.  Not exact, but pretty close.

I was at home depot and while they didn't have 42", they did have 36", which I lifted and thought, man, even at 1" it will be pretty tough to lift/move these.

I'd still have to figure out the stands, but I can probably do something with the oak 4X4 table legs I have.

Just an idea.  To do butcher block in Oak at similar dimensions (but the correct thickness) would be $660 vs $160 (single) or $320 (doubled up) for the treads.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #177 - 07/23/19 at 16:02:03

Quote:
Randy - what are your original baffle's width measurements at the top and the widest point and the height measurement?

Sorry dank ..... that's a trade secret .....

My baffles are 22.5" tall x 17.75" wide at the center.
The top and bottom width is 11".

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 07/23/19 at 17:05:24

Depending what scale factor is used, the numbers will be different.  I'm guessing Steve used 15/8=1.875 but the numbers don't match exactly (using Randy's panel dimensions).  Donnie's radius has to be too tight though.  I was very careful in laying out my arch and with a 32 3/4" width (like Steve) and a 42" radius, I ended up with 21 1/2" top and bottom.  It wouldn't take much to bring that down 1/2" per side.  Maybe R=41 1/2"?

I have a hard time believing that the exact shape is highly sensitive and critical.  I would assume that baffle material is more important.  MDF might be too damped compared to hardwood.

I posted a link earlier and I'll post it again.  This BB is 1 3/4" thick, made in the US and can be had for $625/pr delivered.  The only drawback is that the pieces are finger jointed (looks mostly).  Maple is denser than oak and there is much less fussing with glue-ups.  https://www.foodservicedirect.com/john-boos-oil-finish-hard-rock-maple-industria...

I've seen affordable BB in Lab Supply catalogues and the like.  If I were to start from scratch I might buy wider hard maple and make my own panels.  The only problem I generally find is that with panels this wide I'd have to go find a shop and buy some time on their Timesaver to sand and flatten.

If the driver opening is a bit tight, will a slight chamfer take care of it?  I might shoot for 14" if that's the case.

Oh, and based on the UPS Tracking Number I received from LII Audio, I am guessing they have a US warehouse that they are shipping from.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #179 - 07/23/19 at 17:12:28

My numbers are what the software came up with.
It may be wrong, it may be right.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 07/23/19 at 17:15:58

I figured that.  You are probably right then.  So much for Steve's Sacred Geometry!   Grin

I might lean on my belt sander a bit near the ends.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #181 - 07/23/19 at 18:23:53

I found a pretty cool arc calculator on line

https://www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html

that confirms Donnie's radius of 39.6 (it implies 39.36).

Scaling Randy's numbers up to a 42" height yields 33.13" at widest point, and 20.53" wide at top and bottom/  These numbers imply a radius of 38.15".  So I probably need to run my baffles thru the router again...at least my mistake made then too big instead of too small.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #182 - 07/23/19 at 22:42:06

I can't imagine that a small difference in a radius that large is going to really matter for sound quality. But I'm often wrong.
In my world if you are right 75% of the time they think that there is some sort of black magic going on.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 07/24/19 at 00:39:30

No way was I going to recut my baffles for a half inch per side at the tops and bottoms.  I'm not even sure linear scaling of Randy's baffle relative to the driver is completely logical.  We all will have differences one way or another.  Heck, Randy isn't even making his baffle bigger for the F15.

Today I smoothed the edges, cut notches for my footers and cut the driver holes.  This was a full day!  Moving these monsters around and making jigs takes a lot of time.  When Steve starts selling them don't be surprised at the price.  They are a bear to make despite their simplicity.

BTW, removing 14"D by 1 1/2" thick maple blanks lightened things up considerably.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 07/24/19 at 01:13:07

I don’t think I would recut either.

I used Donnie’s drawing to figure out how to cut my old baffles.  They aren’t tall enough to do the magic dimensions.  So I am going to make a couple of low boys.  I still intend to cut the radius (figured that one out today) but that’s about it.  Slap a little duratex on it and call it a day.

At 1.5 inches of good quality MDF we’ll see how that sounds and then take it from there.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 07/24/19 at 01:19:22

Palomino wrote on 07/23/19 at 15:08:33:
I'd still have to figure out the stands, but I can probably do something with the oak 4X4 table legs I have.

Have you seen the stands on the new Spatial Audio X Class?  Something like this would look pretty cool.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 07/24/19 at 17:04:13

Pal, it will be interesting to share impressions once we all get our's up and running.  I've got a theory that MDF might be over-damped compared to solid wood or plywood.  Or it could be my prejudice since I hate the stuff.   Roll Eyes

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 07/24/19 at 17:10:21

Archie, my use of MDF is limited to "just enough to know I do not like it" but I wonder if the OSB (oriented strand board) might be of some use as a replacement?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #188 - 07/24/19 at 18:12:05

FF to about 28 minutes in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEh01PX-q9I

This guy is a great teacher.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 07/24/19 at 19:18:50

Arch, I transitioned from MDF to Baltic Birch for my OBs because I felt the Baltic had a better, more lively sound.  

My initial test for these new drivers will be in MDF because I hadn’t cut up the old baffles and burned them yet.  Not a fan of mdf but use it some times.

Last night I cut them down and put a little paint on them so the low boys are ready to go. In essence they are the same height of Randy’s but about 5 inches wider.  A lot heavier.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #190 - 07/24/19 at 22:29:51

I placed an initial order for some Lii Audio F15 drivers last night.
Hoping to have them in house in the near future .....

A preliminary page has been created on my website.
The information can be viewed here.

Looking forward to Decware Audio Fest 2019 .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 07/25/19 at 00:13:14

Lasb, LOL!  The only thing I hate more than MDF is OSB!   Grin

I'd bet OSB is fairly dead too.  I don't know all that's involved in making sound with OBs but if the baffle is part of the sound then I suspect it would have to be lively like a wood stringed instrument.

Spending WAY too much time with my baffle build.  I sure hope it's worth it.  Mostly sanding, routing edges and building the feet.  I thought I had a simple solution to the footers but I have consistently found nothing is simple with this build.  I plan on painting mine since the BB is too wild.  I know if I ask for color suggestions, Donnie will say red.   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 07/25/19 at 00:21:26

LR, that guy is my hero.  I didn't have enough time to watch much but he doesn't like MDF and he talked about damping vibration as opposed to "draining" vibration, the latter being constantly thrown around in audio circles.  I still don't know what that means.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #193 - 07/25/19 at 01:00:09

Not just red, Rust-Oleum Safety Red over Zinsser B-I-N shellac based primer.
4 coats of primer, sanded smooth as your first real date's thigh, then about 6 coats of red, again smoooooth, sand with wet or dry paper, from 500 to 2000, some anti swirl compound, and finally a dozen coats of wax.
You will be able to see a reflection of yourself in it.
I may go overboard in finishing sometimes.....

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #194 - 07/25/19 at 02:33:22

Very impressive Donnie...   I have not the energy or patience, but can certainly appreciate the quality end product you achieve.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 07/25/19 at 16:12:46

Donnie, did you write something about paint?  I was completely distracted by " smooth as your first real date's thigh".

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 07/25/19 at 16:23:54

I used some rattle can spray paint on mine.  A few runs, but nothing to get worked up about.  Not as smooth as anybody's first date's thigh.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 07/25/19 at 16:39:29

Krylon is your friend!  I'll go with satin black.  Or I could embrace the wildness of butcher block and filler and just clear coat.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 07/25/19 at 17:03:18

Most of my stuff I have been building lately is painted with duratex.  Expensive but hides all my mistakes.

The low boys were already painted the gloss black so I stuck with that.  I just had to paint where I chopped them off.

I'll never do gloss black again Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 07/26/19 at 01:21:38

I used up my town's supply of Krylon satin black so I had to switch to Rustoleum Semi-Gloss.  It's not too glossy but boy does it take a long time to dry compared to Krylon.  I should have brush painted them.  Hides better and not so toxic!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Send Topic Print