Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 19:03:10 

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 175103 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #1150 - 12/14/19 at 17:44:39

Steve, I keep reading what you say about the 2W Zen vs the higher watt amps and it seems like you are saying that the 2W gets just as loud.  Am I reading right?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1151 - 12/22/19 at 05:29:59

Yes, I am hearing no difference in power between the 2 watt 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amp paired with the 100dB ZMS speakers vs. the ZMA paired with the 94dB DNA2 speakers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1152 - 12/22/19 at 05:54:01

Still listening to the Cherry pair of ZF15M's driven by a single 25th Anniversary Zen Triode amplifier and have no urges to change anything. The combination is just such a well-rounded performer that changing anything about it seems like it could only ruin it.  I wish every amplifier customer of mine had a pair of these. I truly do.

Anyone with a 2 watt Zen Triode amplifier out there who has contemplated spending 3 to 6 grand on one of our bigger amplifiers, please consider getting a pair of these speakers instead. The combination is everything I have ever talked or written about in all the articles on this site and in this forum and it will get as loud or louder than speakers in the mid 90 dB SPL range.

OR

Get the Lii Audio Crystal 10 cabinet on our site, which is a great contender, also 100dB, but with low enough bass and strong enough bass to make your current subwoofer wet itself and crawl into the closet to hide... no shit.  32 Hz from this speaker on a Zen Triode Amp will make your house want to move off the foundation.  I have heard many systems that were over 1000 watts with massive speakers that could not do this.  

Think of Tesla's resonator experiment where he nearly wrecked a large steel building by strapping a small pendulum device to the supporting column in the basement...  When you achieve the right tuning -- insane things can happen and this vintage ducted speaker cabinet with the $1400 Lii Audio Crystal 10 drivers are truly Hi Fi Industry Wrecking machines.  

Either choice would make me happy, because my mission in life is to let you hear what is possible and this is what makes it happen.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1153 - 12/22/19 at 18:03:01

Got it.  But the ZMA with the 100dB speakers IS louder than the Zen with the 100dB speakers.  I was confused about the comparisons.

Are you preferring the medium over the large with the F15s, regardless of size considerations?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1154 - 12/29/19 at 03:54:04

That is the preverbal question I have been waiting to find out the answer to for some time now.  SO tonight I put the ZF15L baffles back into play.  After such a long period of solo listening to only one speaker (months) and then switching it to another it is easier to hear what is really different about them... more so than an A/B comparison done in the same hour.   It's a more honest comparison.  

In the first seconds I could hear the difference.  There is slightly less emphasis on the mid bass and more extension to the low bass giving the bass an overall better linearity and sense of speed. It's nice.  It's better.  Not a lot, but enough to justify the difference in price (shipping) and size.

Also, despite being substantially larger they disappear even better, which is pretty hard to believe, but yet there it is.  

I think the ZF15M is louder... which I contribute to the mid-bass emphasis relative the ZF15L.

I think the ZF15L is bigger... which I contribute to the larger size...  boy does that sound stupid, but of course I mean sonically bigger.

I can easily live with either one, but forced to pic between them in my room I would choose the ZF15L because I can.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1155 - 12/29/19 at 04:17:06

So where do the ZC10M's fall in the mix?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1156 - 12/29/19 at 04:17:19

I would challenge anyone who has followed this thread and wondered how good are these speakers really? to come to Decware for a listening session.  You already know the DIY results are good.  In fact if you watch facebook there are several of these speakers popping up all over the world in hi-end circles that skilled woodworkers have made for themselves and others thanks to transparency of this thread.  

IF the Zen Master Series loudspeakers don't sound better than anything you've heard before, I will write you a $100.00 check on the spot to pay for your gas to get here.   Guaranteed.  As subjective as speaker choices are, these are so over the top that I can make this challenge with no fear.  Besides, if you really have heard better and say so, simply let me know specifics what, and where and I won't think twice about writing the check.

Also, If you come and listen to a pair and decide to purchase them, I will discount the same amount, again to help pay for your gas to get here.

And once again, if these speakers are outside your price range, please visit Caintuck Audio, who we licensed the baffle shape from.  They have the same design scaled down and at one third to one sixth the price.  They are by far the best bang for the buck and work in any room large or small.

It's time to think outside the box.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1157 - 12/29/19 at 04:24:46

The ZC10M's paired with the ZROCK2 are more exotic, more nuanced, more esoteric in their ability to render textures and timbers. In other words, they are like a 1000.00 bottle of wine, vs. a case of the very finest craft brewed ale. If you want audio nirvana for the rest of your days, I can recommend you get both and switch them up every full moon. It's an end game scenario with either, but a real nirvana to explore both.    

The point is, that any of the three simply smoke everything we've offered and basically everything everyone else is offering as well.  

This is largely because of efficiency and frequency/dynamic response... aka coherency.  At 100dB efficient, we eliminate 98% of the world speaker market, and really the only competition is expensive large full-range horns and or multi-driver open baffles.  The problem is, the horns that would be able to compete are 4 times larger.  The baffles that would be able to compete have 2 or 4 bass drivers in a vertical array which makes them a head vise speaker that is very shifty when you move your head.  

The Zen Master Series sound like there are real musicians in your room, and are equally capable of transporting you out of your room to the venue if you choose to set them up that way.  

These things are the real deal.  Free of all cabinet resonance, all crossover distortions and susequent phase shifts, a perfect point source, with ZERO box distortions or colorations, and a sound stage that is bigger than room by a factor or 4 in most cases.

Go ahead and get a pair of small hi-end box speakers that are 86dB effect and pair them with your favorite 100~400 watt amplifier and discover how severely pathetic the performance is when measured against these.  In fact just to make it fair, we will only run a 2 watt amp on the Zen Master Series speakers during the side by side AB comparisons and still you will be shamed into a worm that crawls out of the listening room and slides into the car and drives home thinking about how your going to sell you stuff to get a real pair of speakers.  

These will eat up a pair of Infinity reference speakers driven by unlimited power to push all the ribbons and line source midrange drivers and eight woofers per side or what ever they have because the coherency will be far better and the speed will be far far far better. That will ultimately translate into a harder hit, and better definition. The scale will be about the same because the Infinity are too large for most rooms and do not benefit from economy of scale mathematics.

While proponents of multi-driver speakers with complex crossovers with lots of power featuring a high damping factor (time smearing negative feedback) will claim doppler distortion in the midrange in single-driver designs, they fail to recognize that their speakers are 86dB or less efficient.  The truth is that a Zen Master Series speaker, particularly the ZF15M and ZF15L when turned up to live concert listening levels exhibit zero audible distortion because the the cone is only moving about 1mm at best.  Even with multiple slow and sluggish hi-fi woofers to reduce xmax the woofers are still going to be moving 4 to 10 times farther and stop 4 to 10 times slower.  It's not even a fair comparison, so don't believe the hype, it's just not true.  

When you want to hear music sound real, instead of nice, you need drivers that don't move.  The hit, and the articulation is perfectly realistic, much like the vintage console stereos of the 1950's and 60's but with far less distortion and coloration.  

Please just make an appointment to come hear a pair of these or take a chance and order a pair on our 30 day home trial and see for yourself that in a world of hyperbole, fake news, hype, bullshit, and downright deception, there is a tiny island called Decware where you get over twice what you pay for.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1158 - 12/29/19 at 04:35:19

One hundred bucks??!!
The wife's little car gets 35 MPG, It is maybe 90 miles to your place, Cha Ching. Lol!
The bad thing is that I already know that these speakers are phenomenal.
I'm not coming out ahead in this scam, damn.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1159 - 12/29/19 at 05:30:59

So just to summarize, if you want to compare to the Zen Master Series you must have the following:

* 100dB efficiency with 1 watt of power.

* single driver with a single voice coil.

* no crossover whatsoever.

* bass, midrange and treble performance that leaves you feeling like you just experienced a live concert and nothing is missing.

* a perfect frequency balance with no tilt in either direction.

* zero box coloration or distortions because there is no box.

* the explosive speed that comes from only 10 grams of moving mass.

How many speakers do you know of in the world that have all of the above... or for that matter any of the above?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1160 - 12/29/19 at 05:44:34

A final note... these speaker cater to no particular type of music, but I can safely state that the absolute king of rock and roll speakers will be the ZF15L.  They are like being at the concert.  The ZF15M would be the queen of rock and roll.  Listening to really demanding harder rock/metal like Dream Theater is very much like being there live.  This type of music suffers terribly when reproduced on sluggish modern-day hifi systems, but simply excels and comes into it's own on something like these.  Music like this will be rejected by those who listen to it on many systems, but those who listen on this will be gobsmacked.

Speakers should be fun to listen to, and when you over-analytical buddy stops by to listen to capacitors, you can have the satisfaction of watching him realize his problem isn't capacitors but his speakers.

WWW   IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #1161 - 12/29/19 at 15:48:40

Steve, If anyone is deserving of such a remarkable breakthrough after all the work, time and commitment to accomplishing it, it is most certainly you and the good people on your team. All the best to you in the coming year and many after. I would imagine,that somewhere in my future is a chance to compare your new creations to my currently amazing DNA2’s.
Best of all into the New Year for everyone.
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
im4home2
Verified Member

Reply #1162 - 12/29/19 at 16:27:21

Steve, could you do a direct comparison between the Lii Audio reference speakers you're now carrying and your open baffle speakers?
Thanks
Mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1163 - 12/29/19 at 17:32:47

Sure, if we compare the ZC10M/ZROCK2 combination against the Lii Audio Reference, both using the same Crystal 10 drivers, the Lii Audio speaker sounds like the ZC10M with a seamlessly integrated subwoofer.  The ZC10M would be easier to use in smaller rooms as being open baffle it can create a larger sound stage, but that's about it.

Once I get caught up on QC after the holidays, I plan to make some good videos of the Lii Audio reference speaker, as well as the Zen Master Series speakers.  Will use the same music/amplifier on all videos so you can hear differences between them.  I wanted to do this over the Christmas break, but just didn't have time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
PatG
Verified Member

Reply #1164 - 01/03/20 at 11:26:50

I have some WBAL Betsy's that I am looking to build around. I have two questions.

1) Has anyone tried the original Betsy drivers in the larger baffles?
2) Has anyone tried building a thicker hardwood version of the original Caintuck design?

If anybody has done either of these things, I would love to hear your opinion.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #1165 - 01/03/20 at 21:57:03

PatG...

I'm pretty sure the creator of the Betsy Baffle has done ALL the things you're asking about.  
Reach out to him... either here on this forum, member "Randy In Caintuck" or on his Betsy website http://www.caintuckaudio.com/

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
PatG
Verified Member

Reply #1166 - 01/03/20 at 22:57:02

Maddog07...

I believe Randy mentioned in this thread that he stuck with 3/4" wood because that was what was available to him and could be shipped easily, also going thicker might have been beyond his woodworking skills. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what he said.

So that's why I asked if anyone else tried either of those two things. Still asking actually...

IP Logged
Herman
Verified Member

Reply #1167 - 01/08/20 at 00:16:49

Hello!
I did not see any off axis measurements for the F15 drivers. The on axis response looks very good.

Do these beam? Anyone have off-axis measurements to get an idea of how the balance changes for a side listener? I don't stay in one spot for along time Smiley

thanks,
Herman

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1168 - 01/08/20 at 00:30:31

Mine sound great anywhere including in the back.  I'm not sure what beaming sounds like so maybe they don't do it.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #1169 - 01/08/20 at 03:56:27

PatG wrote .....

Quote:
I believe Randy mentioned in this thread that he stuck with 3/4" wood because that was what was available to him and could be shipped easily, also going thicker might have been beyond his woodworking skills. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what he said

Hi Pat,

The packaging materials that I use to securely ship my speakers are designed for a baffle thickness of 3/4".
I have made baffles 1" thick in the past ..... but in baffles as small as the ones I offer I did not hear a huge difference in sound.

In a larger baffle, the difference would no doubt be greater.

Truthfully, I'm not totally convinced that a little resonance is a bad thing. Every stringed instrument that I know of has a "sounding board" that resonates and contributes to the sound.
Now, if the amount of resonance is excessive it would probably be detrimental ..... but I think that my 3/4" thick baffles (in the length x width dimensions I use) sound just fine ..... and there are 300 + Betsy baffle owners who share that opinion .....

As to your question about Betsy drivers in a larger baffle, one of my audio buddies built a pair of 4' x 4' plywood baffles with Betsy drivers that he affectionately named the "Donkey Kongs".
The amount of surface area of an open baffle definitely contributes to the amount of low end that they will produce.

It was hard to believe how much bass those speakers made .....

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1170 - 01/10/20 at 17:09:56

After about a month (maybe more) of listening to the Crystal 10/AE LO 15 combo exclusively, I finally but the Big Betsy's back in.  I was immediately struck by the comparison in scale. T he F15 driver produces such a huge soundstage.

Also, where you are in the soundstage is very different.  With the F15, the image is more up close and personal, and there is more of the sensation of you sitting in the soundstage.

The big besty's also seem more efficient to me.  Maybe baffle size??

Detail is better on the Crystal 10s as reported before and the bass is clearer/deeper with the SS driven AE LO15s, but there have been only a couple of songs so far with the F15 where I missed it.  

The crystal 10s have seasoned a lot and after playing with the crossover point, the hit is much closer.

I wonder what putting the F15s in a big ol' ported box would sound like?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #1171 - 01/10/20 at 17:19:21

Pal, I would guess they would sound like a ZENMASTER IMPERIAL!
I have been wondering what the Crystal 10s would sound like in a DNAIII sized box! I mentioned that to Steve and Zygi. Steve did not comment but Zygi said it should work great but that he had not thought about it. You have Crystal 10s and woodworking/speaker building experience and skills so why not give it a go? Huh, Huh!!!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1172 - 01/10/20 at 17:25:27

I'd built the DNA.  Plans are around here somewhere...

If I do something with the Crystal 10s, its more likely going to be a box the size of the factory cabinet.  The bass does reach low in that configuration.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1173 - 01/10/20 at 18:07:16

Pal, it could easily be the difference in our two rooms but when you say the soundstage is bigger, do you mean, wider, deeper and taller?  My experience is that while the width, depth and height of mine stays pretty constant, the sound, players and all just seems physically bigger.  I agree with your closer assessment and maybe that's what I'm really experiencing by bigger?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #1174 - 01/10/20 at 18:18:00

The one overwhelming characteristic of the F15 Big Betsy in my shop is the huge sound stage.  It just seems to surround you, extending multiple feet further in all three directions than anything else I've got.  Its hard to judge another speaker as superior when the sound stage collapses when you switch over to that speaker.

Still listening and still lovin it.

Dan

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1175 - 01/10/20 at 18:38:20

More of what Dank is saying Arch.  You are in the middle of the higher, wider soundstage.    You could compare it to the seat you are in at the concert.  F15 is second row.   Crystal 10 is more middle of the auditorium if that helps.

Also, size of auditorium could be used.  Crystal 10 is more like being in a smaller auditorium.  F15 is more like a large cavern.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1176 - 01/10/20 at 18:44:28

Hum, it's either not doing that in my space or I don't hear that way.  But I do get scale in a more localized way.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1177 - 01/10/20 at 19:14:58

How big is your room again?  Treatments?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1178 - 01/10/20 at 19:26:22

Huge.  18X35 ft with high vaulted ceilings (12/12 pitch).  No treatment.  Not really doable.  You can see in some of my pictures in this thread.  I'm okay with what I have but I am curious about what others hear.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1179 - 01/10/20 at 19:29:15

Yeah, I could be getting something different.  16.5' X 12.5'.  I probably have treatment on 40% of the surfaces.  Mostly diffusers.

I don't recall hearing the same effect in Steve's big room with high ceilings.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #1180 - 01/10/20 at 19:52:02

Lazb,

Evidently, this is in the works, according to one of the Lii Audio Facebook pages.

Capture_001.PNG

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #1181 - 01/10/20 at 21:59:28

@ Pal - if you were going to put the crystal 10's in a box, why not try something like what Louis does with his Omega Outlaws? Where the full ranger is in a ported top compartment and an active sub in a lower sealed compartment.  Something like this: https://omegaloudspeakers.com/blogs/news/customshop-outlaw-super-3-xrs

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1182 - 01/10/20 at 23:46:13

Could be an interesting build.  Philosophically, if I build a box, I would be doing so to get away from a separate woofer.  The whole Zen thing.  I had the good fortune of attending Decfest this year and hearing them in cabinets and they do indeed produce deep bass.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1183 - 01/11/20 at 00:51:19

I noticed that the CR10 in boxes price has gone up $300 on the Lii site.  They must be getting an idea of what a bargain they are.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1184 - 01/11/20 at 01:06:50

Having a Friday evening listening appointment with a friend who wanted to hear the Lii Audio Crystal 10 cabinets...  After an hour we changed to the ZF15M and the open baffles simply crushed it.  Game over.  The music was YES Lps, and Yello Lps... you know, stuff with balls.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1185 - 01/11/20 at 10:43:55

Hello Steve and all!

I read this whole development of the Lii/Betsy and enjoyed it. I have not heard any of this implementation and do not own a tube power amp. Actually, I was cleaning my favorite places on the web browser and found an old link to Decware, hit it, and spent the last week reacquainting myself to an old hobby that was shelfed since the mid 00's. I built and still utilize one of Steve's first hits the Wicked One with his 10 inch hand build drivers and a pair of 10" Deathboxes. I find myself holding an itchy trigger on acquiring F15s and a SE84UFO after a week of reading and firing up old equipment. Darn! What a week! Looks like I'll be diving in again with bated breath.
After all configurations posted here of the Lii/Betsy, it seems the thick solid wood baffles make the most preferred mounting of the driver in the purest sense and the one I will use.

Thank you all!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1186 - 01/11/20 at 18:20:47

Hi all,

My F15 have about 26 hours run now. They are bare, straight on the floor for the time being.
I am building quick Obs barrel type to see how it goes with 18mm parget panel.
If I am pleased with it I will make a more serious built.
But if I am not "flabbergasted"  ;D I shall build a Karlson enclosure.
The way they sound right now, just resting on the floor is surprising.

I hope that when they'll be placed into the panels, I'll get better precision in the space placement for each instrument which is right now a bit blur and also that they will be completely transparent, which is not the case for now.

I am after, big detailed and precise sound stage at very very very low level.
I am in a flat and love listen late at night when it is silent outside.
I run them with a FirstWatt F5, Shiit Sys , Onkyo C-N7050, or Naim Nait2 with Thorens TD166 MkII + Grace 707 tone arm.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #1187 - 01/12/20 at 00:37:49

@ Steve and all ...

What are the frequency ranges for all 3 Zen Master Series OB's?  

Does anybody miss the upper end on the bigger 15 drivers?  I had a pair of single driver speakers that rolled off at about 15kHz on the upper end and was unimpressed, I felt they were lackluster and a bit dark.  I replaced them with a driver that goes to about 20kHz and greatly prefer them.

I like the idea of good bass slam, but not at the expense of a rolled off top end ... I more prefer balance ~ as I'm a details freak and like some shimmer to the top end without it being too hot.  I have a feeling that I'd much prefer the Crystal 10's, but if I need to provide additional bass support with them it kind of defeats the purpose and I don't have enough room for a pair of OB's and additional subwoofers in my living room.

Thanks!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1188 - 01/12/20 at 02:30:26

I am running Jordan JX-92S in a VTL enclosure filling the low end with a Wicked One positioned to load my canted wall listening room. The combination blends nicely. The Jordans are very accurate and fill the room well with an AKSA 100.
Steve's 2 watt amps always caught my attention with the simplicity and his clever marketing. Wink  But, I would need to replace the JX-92s with more efficient speakers to accommodate the SE84.
I really like Randys Betsy size baffle with the F15. Those would fit in my room best being the front is 12 foot wide and finishes 16 foot wide 20 feet deep with a utility door that swings right where the right speaker sets. I would have to place the big Betsy on casters for as much as that door is used. Those F15s look really good in his room. Roll Eyes

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
jags79
Verified Member

Reply #1189 - 01/12/20 at 06:25:26

The 2 watt Zens do low level detail incredibly well.  Does that translate to these open baffles as well?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #1190 - 01/12/20 at 11:11:59

Jags79,

Short answer is YES. An absolute killer combination. Heard this pairiing (Zen + Steve's Lii Audio F15 large open baffle) at Decfest and was awestruck. The Lii Audio F15 is a very sensitive, full range driver, designed for use with low powered amps. It loves SET tube amplifiers. It is also designed for use in an open baffle speaker. Best full range speaker I've ever heard - period.  The two are an audio marriage made in heaven.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1191 - 01/12/20 at 17:52:56

Quote:
Does anybody miss the upper end on the bigger 15 drivers?  I had a pair of single driver speakers that rolled off at about 15kHz on the upper end and was unimpressed, I felt they were lackluster and a bit dark.

Not at all and I had the HR1s in before which go very high.  It could be my hearing (I don't hear test tones over 14KHz).  If something is missing, then what is extra, makes up for it.

Pal tried his with a super tweeter and I think found it unnecessary.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1192 - 01/13/20 at 04:39:45

Here is a link to a a raw video from my phone... I have the hi-res sound track from the Tascam recorder in the finished video, but that is going to take hours to upload.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11aycHLSA1CwE0WdXK2ZcOxv1RWAY3Ae1/view?usp=shari...

This recording from the phone has some merit, albeit not hi-res, it is natural and well done in every way, especially when moving around and behind the speakers later in the video.  

Headphones will give best performance as otherwise your room and speakers will be superimposed over the top of the room and speakers in the recording and while it might not suck -- if your lucky, it will never sound as good as it does in headphones where your room and speakers colorations can be left out of the playback.

You can hear the dog barking next door outside the listening room off to your left before the music starts.  Also towards the end I drop something in the other room on the bench and you will think someone is in your house behind you... don't jump too high!

The hi-res recording has none of the boomy base, but considering it's a phone recording who knows what compressed format, it's not too bad. Plus you would never hear the boomy base on the phone itself... I'll post the link to that video into the bottom of this post once it becomes available. You'll hear a big difference.

And here is the promised link at 12:32 A.M.  ; )

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/fram88w9ds. Be sure to set it to 1080P or you will not get the hi-res sound.

Even with an iMac and a pair of $350 headphones plugged into the headphone jack you can get a very clear view of the sound of this pair of speakers in the Decware listening room...  A real headphone rig, and you can just about hear what it's like to sit in my chair.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1193 - 01/13/20 at 07:31:09

Very nice Steve! The Tascam did not pick up the dog but made me turn to see if my wife was coming to visit in the listening room when you dropped something on the bench late in the track. I was listening with a set Sol Republic headphones  plugged into the cell setting in my listening room. The entrance door is directly behind that seat.
I thought that your room had a concrete floor? Your footsteps in the beginning can be heard in the recording. I have a Tascam. The internal mics are very sensitive. Hmmm.

John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1194 - 01/13/20 at 07:41:44

Hi John, welcome to the forums!  

Yes, the walking on a concrete slab is surprisingly well picked up...  The recorder is mounted to a very high-end camera stand.  Just shows that 4 inches of concrete on sand is likely worse than just plane dirt...  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1195 - 01/13/20 at 15:32:21

Steve

I guess the tripod feet were floating on the stretched carpet. Maybe put some spikes on the tripod and bury it to contact the concrete to avoid that illusion.

John

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1196 - 01/13/20 at 17:24:33

What kind of powerhouse monoblocks are you producing that sound with Steve? Wink  Surely there are hundreds of watts at play...

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #1197 - 01/13/20 at 21:53:31

Steve....what a great track to enjoy.   It’s truly amazing how well the 25th Zen Amp and the ZF15M open baffles pair together.  Talk about breathtaking!  

I can picture sitting on the couch in the listening room and just experiencing the sound that is produced.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1198 - 01/13/20 at 22:33:46

Steve, could you tell what is the best placement for your Obs ?
From your video, they are virtually in the middle of the room.

Thanks

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1199 - 01/14/20 at 23:59:59

Hi Tooppy,

The front of my room is recessed so it is hard to visually tell compared to a regular room, however from a straight line to each corner, the speakers are about 20 inches from that line.  To the actual curved wall behind them as shown in the video, they are 36 inches from the wall.

I have over the many months tried them in every conceivable location as so far have not found one that did not work. I find them to be one of the more forgiving speakers to place, not unlike the radial speakers we make.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32
Send Topic Print