Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 04:54:53 

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Steve's BIG BETSY Project (Read 169109 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve's BIG BETSY Project
Reply #1250 - 01/21/20 at 18:16:41

I would enjoy to hear the diff6.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1251 - 01/21/20 at 18:55:17

Me too, I look forward to hearing the broken in ones. I suspect this is not altogether an apples-to-apples comparison though. Some woods are bound to have similar qualities, but recalling the big-big baffles sounding pretty different, I felt pretty sure it was more than just size, that the super dense wood was imparting notable qualities on the sound.

I am glad the new maple baffles have been sold, but really would love to have heard differences between  the same size cherry baffles and the hard maple after the maple got some time on them.

Though people seem to like them all, the complexity within the simplicity is intriguing, where shape, wood, thickness, foot density and weight, driver placement, handles, etc, all make differences. These are really interesting speakers to me!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1252 - 01/21/20 at 19:05:39

At least one famous luthier has opined that even different geographic differences in maple wood (east or west coast) leads to tonal variation as an instrument "tone wood" so I bet that there will be a lot of very subtle differences due to the different characteristics and source wood of the baffles.

Fascinating stuff. This "hobby" is an ever-broadening one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1253 - 01/21/20 at 19:40:01

Good to hear someone bought it.

Quote:
I am going to make another recording of the same track, but on the cherry pair which is fully burned-in

How many hours would you consider that point to be reached ?
Mine have some 45H now and they are pretty good.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1254 - 01/21/20 at 20:33:44

"At least one famous luthier has opined that even different geographic differences in maple wood (east or west coast) leads to tonal variation as an instrument "tone wood"

Yes, thinking of all the great instrument makers through time, they always came up with favorite woods for given instruments, each wood sounding different. But even using the "same" highly selected woods and sources, they got relatively distinct tonal variations and personalities with instruments. Made with the same care, the "same" materials, and the same basic designs, the instruments vary.

Having made a lot of pottery, and using wood to fire, the effects from different wood ash chemistry was also pretty obvious. Ashes mixed into glazes, as well as in firing, where the strong draft pulled ashes through the kiln, then landing on pots and melting at temperature, they could have very different melt levels and colors depending on species and associated, chemistry.

And though within a given species, they had characteristic matte or glass qualities and colors, depending the ridge or valley, exposure, etc where the local logs were cut, they tended to be a little different. The same species would draw up characteristic mineral proportions...the ashes leaving mostly silica and alumina, and various alkaline fluxes and traces of metals the wood type needed to grow. But different species and locations caused these proportions to vary, often a lot between species, changing a glaze.

I don't have my books here to check ash chemistry, but I seem to recall hard maple ash as being relatively low in fluxing minerals and coloring metals, while being particularly high with silica/quartz compared to most American hardwoods. I think this could explain some aspects of the high density of hard maple. Then, cherry would be higher in coloring metals, with different silica/alumina proportions, and different alkaline flux proportions. So though they could be similar on density charts, what they are made of seems likely to have different effects on sound.

Then there is grain structure of different woods! Just imagining out loud, I would love to hear how the different baffle woods effect sound.  It is cool how "alive" this design is.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1255 - 01/22/20 at 03:10:44

So I have done the recording and am waiting for it to upload...  ::)

This certainly isn't the recording I would have chosen to make a comparison as it is overly chunky with heavy compressed bass... but then that is the reason I choose it for a burn-in LP to rapidly work out all the kinks in the cones of the F15's.  Nevertheless, there is an noticeable difference between the same recording/amp/volume on the two speakers...  

A lot of it is the burn-in as is the intent of the videos to demonstrate, but some of it was also the hard maple vs. the cherry.  

Anyway, FWIW this will be a perfect A/B comparison between new out of the box and well seasoned for several hundred hours.

You'll see it here soon.  I may even do another one on some real music if I get time and that would certainly be more useful for this comparison.  I hear the same thing in the video that I do in real life, and that is the maple is cleaner while the cherry is more lush.  Certainly that can't all be due to break-in?

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1256 - 01/22/20 at 11:53:03

One of my favs is Medeski Martin & Wood's Tonic. Getting thru some of the slap stick can be a bit trying. It is, however, a well recorded live gig without much post production interference.
For some reason it does make sense that the cherry wood would be mellow as compared to maple. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why.
When trying my hand in driver enclosure design, I use to feed 25 hertz at moderate levels for a few hours to break in a new driver before taking measurement. I guess the driver is broken in when forgotten and the music takes over.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1257 - 01/22/20 at 20:51:18

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/ahifccwmbl

Here is the same track on the well seasoned cherry pair.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1258 - 01/22/20 at 20:53:10

And for convenience here is the other one:

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/2kps95mptx

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1259 - 01/23/20 at 00:52:40

Cymbals shimmering, mids display more detail, vocal is clearer, bass is...well as you said chunky. For me the jury is out on the effect of sound with different species of wood. Could it be the new drivers harsness? Thanks Steve!  ;)

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #1260 - 01/23/20 at 06:08:23

Steve,

I know you have created your "Big Betsy Project" speakers for home use. For Business use ex. Restaurants, Music Clubs, Dance Clubs, have you designed a speaker cone cover, (cloth or metal) that will work with your Big Betsy models.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #1261 - 01/23/20 at 14:57:35

Hi spyder1,

I'm sure that Steve could come up with something nicer and more effective, but a few of my customers have used the products from this company with their Betsy baffles.

They have small children or pets and the "waffle" grills seem to work well.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1262 - 01/23/20 at 15:19:13

Hi Randy,
I bought those grills from Parts Express years ago for bass boxes in a DJ setup. They will take abuse.
I think it was Archie that came up with a grill for his F15 large baffles earlier in this thread.
BTW, I really like the shot of the your 'getaway' room with the Betsy F15s. Very sleek.
Cheers!
John

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #1263 - 01/23/20 at 15:42:28

Hi John,

Thanks .... the "audio he shed" is working out well.
I just had the mini-split HVAC system installed and it is quite comfortable .... even with the outside temperature in the teens.
The mini-split is very quiet ..... that's important .....

I can have two guests at a time for a listening session. The center seat is certainly the best, but the sweet spot is actually pretty good from the two bar stools.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1264 - 01/23/20 at 15:45:00

Looking good Randy.

I am looking into the tax implications for putting one of these on my property in MI.  I'll follow up on the HVAC system you put in via email.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #1265 - 01/23/20 at 16:08:51

Yeah, Randy, but wouldn't it be better if you shortened the stools a bit?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1266 - 01/23/20 at 16:15:31

This is what I bought for my F15s:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/x2-15-Inch-Speaker-Grill-CHROME-Grills-Sub-Woofer-Bar-G...

They come in various sizes and in chrome or black.  I put silicon tubing over mine with the thought of damping grill vibration but I don't think it does anything.  I didn't have a problem in the first place.  But the bars will make a tone if you flick them with your finger.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1267 - 01/23/20 at 16:42:24

I haven't done this with my Big Betsy's but in the past I have fashioned a frame out of trim wood and stretched and stapled speaker fabric bought at  a fabric store.  

I attached with Velcro for a non-permanent solution but Parts Express sells various hardware like magnets and such.  My solution may sound a little cludgy but it actually looked pretty professional.  

I'm pretty sure Parts Express also sells the frames and fabric.

P.S. I just went out to Parts Express:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/grill-frame-kits/326

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-grill-cloth-fabric/319

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #1268 - 01/24/20 at 10:35:43

What Would Steve Deckert Do?

I'm about to buy butcher block material for my attempt to copy the Z15M baffles. I would love to build them plank by plank but don't have the required equipment so I'll need to buy off-the-rack, so to speak.

All of these options are fairly close in price so I'm wondering which option Steve would choose for himself:

Jatoba (janka 2350-2690)
Wide plank face grain @ 1.75 inches thick
Edge grain @ 2 inches thick

Maple edge grain @ 3 inches thick (from Home Depot)

It seems this is a density vs mass question.

I know I know I'm asking you to speculate but I can't think of a better person to ask.

"I don't like it but I guess I'm learning" (Shock the Monkey - Peter Gabriel)
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #1269 - 01/24/20 at 20:11:19

I would use the Jatoba, in either thickness because I have no experience going beyond 1-7/8, so 3 inches is unknown territory.  Might sound good, might kill the liveness.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1270 - 01/24/20 at 22:49:26

So, I did some digging with respect of different species of wood reaction with sound. The cell structure of wood species does have an effect on sound waves striking the wood surface. Soft wood(conifers) do not have the same cell structure as the hardwoods and hardwoods have 3 different cell classifications. Softwood cell structure is organized while hardwood not so much. Hardwood cells are tubular with longitudinal cells stacked on each other creating conduits for water. Softwood's conduit is uniform in size across the annul ring. Hardwood's conduit varies which leads to different classifications that helps identify the species. Softwood is very hard to identify across the different species. Oak is in one class, Walnut in another, and Maple a third. Each specie of hardwood can be placed in one of these three classes. Of course, there are sub classes that can further identify the hardwood species.

The Z15M Cherry over Maple comparison pushed me to dig a little deeper to find why different wood baffles can effect the sound. It does in a subtle way. Not so much to fret over. I would pick a wood that appeals to visual sense, or budget for this wonderful implementation but stay clear of softwood.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/PB1692.pdf

John

IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #1271 - 01/24/20 at 23:24:34

Wow!

Thank you Steve and JBbuzz. You guys are awesome!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #1272 - 01/25/20 at 03:41:15

Cool site, JBbuzz. Thanks for posting.

Randy

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1273 - 01/25/20 at 14:16:03

Quote:
P.S. I just went out to Parts Express

The last time I was at PE back in spring of 2002 attending one of their audio show/competition/flea market gigs, Steve's amp was present.  I remember purchasing a couple cheap sets of satellite speakers for the whole house audio system that are still in use today.

Randy, the next time I am out in your neck of the woods I'll have to give you a heads up and have a listening session.

Steve, I know you are a busy man and need to meet business demands but I hope you have time to break in those maple Z15Ms before letting them loose...for a comparison.

Cheers
John

P3290011a.JPG

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #1274 - 01/25/20 at 18:48:47

JBbuzz wrote .....

Quote:
Randy, the next time I am out in your neck of the woods I'll have to give you a heads up and have a listening session.

Hi John,

By all means, you would certainly be welcome .... as would any of the forum readers who find themselves in the Cincinnati, Ohio / northern Kentucky vicinity.

Just give me a day or two heads up and I will roll out the red carpet .....  

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #1275 - 01/25/20 at 19:25:52

Yes, hard to know wood effects without some pretty careful testing. I enjoyed the article on wood too, though I can't say it led me to a conclusion that the differences between hardwoods would necessarily be subtle, especially in these big baffles where the wood is so much of what makes the speaker. This is pretty conceptual for me, my references being Steve's recordings, and comments on this thread (and a few others). And this thread implies many woods and thicknesses can make a nice speaker. But if we could put all these speakers together and AB them in one system, I suspect we would hear differences notable enough to make choices if we were planning to build a pair.

Sound qualities appear to be influenced by reflective and baffling effects, but also the baffles acting in part as "soundboards." It would seem many wood characteristics could effect how the musical energy moves through and off the baffles, those effects compounded/adjusted by design choices of size, shape, driver placement, handle type and placement, weight and size of feet, thickness of a baffle...

With anything, energy movement is effected by what is in the path of that energy. So, conceptually, to me, musical energy released from the driver is very likely effected by baffle wood density, composition, grain structure, oil levels, resin levels, etc...

Even within a species, I can imagine potential for relatively important differences. Defined by genetics and where the tree grows...variability in soil, water, sun, wind, and competition for these, there could be pretty notable variables in grain and density.... and more between different species. A tree in a calmer environment, and having a lot of sun, good soil, and water, grows easily, with wider growth rings, and relatively open structure. Whereas, trees growing tight with other trees have to struggle, developing more slowly, all aspects of structure more compressed, denser...Then the variabilities between tropical hardwood compositions and structures and those more common here, lots of choices!

All else the same, it would seem some hardwoods could be similar in how they interact with these drivers, though I suspect others could be pretty different. But then it comes back to how much the baffle wood influences the sound, and how much we care.

I am just thinking, especially with these massive baffles, some variations effecting sound are likely notable enough to matter to me anyway. A more conclusive test would be a challenge though, maybe 3-5 pair made at once, just alike except using woods suspected to be good, but having notably different grain and density.....wouldn't that be a cool experiment?

On the other hand, even if wood does matter notably in this design, with these nice drivers, making baffles utilizing and springing off the discoveries this thread has so far revealed, it does seem many hardwoods could produce a very nice speaker!

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1276 - 01/25/20 at 20:31:57

Wood is beautiful, no doubt, but for our purpose, I mean a Lii-15, I would love to have it made of this :

https://www.epodex.com/fr/shop/resine-epoxy/resine-epoxy-transparente/?gclid=Cjw...

But you can also mix it with wood as you can see here :

https://www.google.fr/search?hs=Uvp&q=resine+epoxy+table&tbm=isch&source=univ&cl...

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #1277 - 01/25/20 at 20:59:44

The river tables are beautiful. My neighbor is building one from oak he cut and milled from his property. One of the members of our local audio community built open baffles of acrylic. They have a crossover to allow accommodation of an Eminence woofer. I haven’t heard them but am intrigued.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1278 - 01/27/20 at 06:22:43

Quote:
I enjoyed the article on wood too, though I can't say it led me to a conclusion that the differences between hardwoods would necessarily be subtle, especially in these big baffles where the wood is so much of what makes the speaker.

For me the article confirms suspicions of mechanical differences between wood structure with sound interaction.
The application in the following link lends to a more amplified approach in revealing the differences:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/different-woods-different-ton...

It is a helpful guide of different wood/sound characteristics. Click on the "has been explained" link in the article for another perspective of the mechanics being employed here.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1279 - 01/27/20 at 08:44:53

Well, it seems that the baffle for the F15s serves many purposes. Two of these are evident from what I found to date. The baffle serves as a spring board of the sounds created with the F15 driver. The placement of the driver and the shape of the baffle help avoid the ringing(amplitude drop of certain frequencies directly related to wavelength) effect created when the sound reaches the boundaries of the baffle. The thickness of the baffle keeps the driver stable enabling strong clear frequency reproduction. Second, the actual cell structure of the baffle will alter the sound by acting like a sponge absorbing certain frequencies. The resulted timbre created will cause undesirable results as shown in this thread by the employment of heavy bases, handle, etc.. By gluing up the boards in a longitudinal fashion, the stacked cell structure will resonate at the weakest point(top and bottom ends) of the baffle as it absorbs sound.

I jumped into this thread late on a whim. It lead me to firing up some dormant equipment which too my surprise sounded a lot better then memory served. Turns out that shelves were added flanking one side of the room and a large flat screen screen TV was added posted two feet into the room from the front wall replacing a 36" tube. I posted a picture earlier in this thread. The for-mentioned is responsible for improved image, clearer highs, and detailed bass.

Since, I mounted the TV on the front wall and the system now sounds more inline with memory. Cry Before I continue with a F15M build, some room treatment will be needed or the TV will need to be placed in the original position. I plan to elaborate on this in a different thread.

John

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1280 - 01/28/20 at 16:54:19

Can anyone please answer this question: I noticed Steve has different open baffle sizes for the Lii Audio F15” driver. Can someone tell me if the sound changes based on the size of the baffle the driver is in?

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1281 - 01/28/20 at 21:25:28

Quote:
Can anyone please answer this question: I noticed Steve has different open baffle sizes for the Lii Audio F15” driver. Can someone tell me if the sound changes based on the size of the baffle the driver is in?

From what I notice since I play with OB, which is very new, these type of baffles need to be placed far away from walls, and it seems the bigger the OB the futher it should be placed, but also the bigger the sound stage.
The rest is essentially a matter of room and electronics.

Up in this thread you should see the baffle I made. I couldn't place them far enough from the walls to get a satifying result. Since I reduced them drastically to be able to get a lot nearer, the sound is far better but the lacement is still critical.
I have not finish to meddle with this.

Reduced_F15.jpg

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1282 - 01/28/20 at 22:49:56

Interesting. I wonder how the sound will change if a wide tube is attached to the back of the driver and that tube curves up, where the endpoint is pointing toward the ceiling or pointing away from the wall. So like a C with the end of the C being wide enough to attach to the driver and the end of the C pointing up or outward.  Me thinks this would solve the problem of the speakers being close to a wall.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #1283 - 01/28/20 at 23:06:56

Well, it won't be an OB anymore , it's going to be a tube.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1284 - 01/28/20 at 23:48:27

Very true.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1285 - 01/29/20 at 13:25:55

Steve, why are you using different types of wood for the Betsy? Why not just one solid piece? Why not just use one solid Paduke baffle?
I also noticed that you can sell them in a Bubinga finish. Does it mean that the Bubinga would be a veneer over the baffle or would the entire baffle be made with Bubinga?
I would also like to know how thick the baffles are.

Thanks Steve.  

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #1286 - 01/29/20 at 14:44:46

Alex,

Given the dimensions of Steve's baffles I expect there are few if any Bubinga trees left in nature large enough in diameter which could provide solid boards. It would probably take a tree of 4-5' in diameter to produce a 3' wide board.😁 Even if there are, the price for this wood would likely be stratospheric. Smaller dimension boards glued together just makes more sense.

I believe Steve and others have mentioned his baffles are 2" thick, but you can check specs on the main product pages or earlier posts in this thread.

Cheers,

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #1287 - 01/29/20 at 20:15:05

For all you Big Betsy DIY'ers out there. A really nice 16'8" x 62" x 3" slab of Bubinga Waterfall wood. It's only $35,000 on Etsy😁.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244831065/bubinga-slab-table-16-8-long-x-62-wide?gp...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1288 - 01/29/20 at 20:26:43

I’m better off with veneer. I was asking because I was curious on why Steve uses different types of wood in the Betsy. He uses Paduk and Wenge. Why not all Wenge or all paduk.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1289 - 01/29/20 at 20:47:58

Quote:
Why not just one solid piece?

Large solid wood slabs react wildly with environmental changes. Because of wood cell structure, changes in humidity, temperature, and probably atmospheric pressure combined will cause all natural wood to change shape and warp. Green, air dried, kiln dried will all warp in varying degrees. Depending on the conditions it could get so severe that driver frames could bend, mounting screws could become dislodge, and the baffle appearance will suffer. Gluing up boards to create the dimensions required helps greatly with the elimination of slab distortion(warp). This is a time consuming process and surely built into Steve's market price. A solid slab can also be stabilize to a lesser degree with carefully placed wood boards attach across the slab grain.
I think veneer over glued up boards will work, and give flexibility in design of the glued pattern of the wood while catering to the visual taste of the end user.
John

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #1290 - 01/29/20 at 22:19:16

JBzen wrote on 01/29/20 at 20:47:58:
Large solid wood slabs react wildly with environmental changes. Because of wood cell structure, changes in humidity, temperature, and probably atmospheric pressure combined will cause all natural wood to change shape and warp. Green, air dried, kiln dried will all warp in varying degrees. Depending on the conditions it could get so severe that driver frames could bend, mounting screws could become dislodge, and the baffle appearance will suffer. Gluing up boards to create the dimensions required helps greatly with the elimination of slab distortion(warp). This is a time consuming process and surely built into Steve's market price. A solid slab can also be stabilize to a lesser degree with carefully placed wood boards attach across the slab grain.
I think veneer over glued up boards will work, and give flexibility in design of the glued pattern of the wood while catering to the visual taste of the end user.
John

FWIW, I was not recommending using a large solid slab wood, the post was meant in jest. I was simply trying to point just how really expensive some of the the large slab exotic hardwoods can be.

Me, I'm not a DIYer when it comes to speaker builds, even simple OB designs. I'll leave it to the experts (Steve, Caintuck Randy, Bob Z. et. al.) to figure out what works and sounds best.

HK    

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1291 - 01/29/20 at 23:40:23

Hi HK,

As opposed to you, I am a DIY'er. Sorry if my response posed a picture of you making recommendations with that question. My response was not meant in that way. I merely was trying to point some of the issues that could result in using a solid piece of wood species.
Money can obtain the latest and greatest delivered to a venue giving instant gratification. Except Z15's, according to Steve's lead times mention in this thread! I'm thinking a few pallets, hand planer, and some veneer can obtain similar results.
Whatever way audio nirvana is obtained does not matter to me. I really have no subjective bias either way. I lean toward the DIY method because of the chase and hands on experience further satisfying the result. Sometimes the result can fail miserably and other times beyond my best expectations. Most likely DIYing led to my current situation that will give me time to do Steve's recommended read of the book pictured.
Like you, I absorb the experience and knowledge presented on this forum by Steve and the like to further my understanding of this hobby.
Cheers!
John    

20200129_182304a.jpg

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1292 - 01/30/20 at 00:57:14

I am enjoying my DIY Big Betsy’s tonight.   I go back and forth between them and my Crystal 10 OBs.  Just when I think I like one more than the other I swap them and change my mind.  We will see what the CDAPS guys think on the 9th.

After reading all the DIY descriptions, I still think my build using Oak stair treads is one of the simpler and cost effective approaches.  Very acceptable looks as well.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #1293 - 01/30/20 at 00:58:47

I give my thumbs up for using maple BB for the baffles.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1294 - 01/30/20 at 01:17:49

I did check for Maple Butcher Block at my local Home Depot. It was not a normally stock item there. One of the local lumber yards has a large assortment of hardwood species but in limit amounts. Procuring wood for this project can be daunting.

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #1295 - 01/30/20 at 02:01:16

Cool link on wood. I'm interested in building a baffle of Mahogany and Wenge. Living in Rochester NY where we have a lot of cool Amish folks and wood workers, I'm going to see what I can come up with.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1296 - 01/30/20 at 02:21:55

I used 42” stair treads.  You have to glue 3 together for each baffle but you can get them anywhere.  Just make sure they don’t have any bend to them.  

36” are more common than 42”.   I spent $175 for 6.  If you want 2”, double them up.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1297 - 01/30/20 at 02:29:59

Palomino,
You seem to like your 1" baffles. Great! Do you notice any differences with the thinner baffles...good or bad?
John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #1298 - 01/30/20 at 02:45:33

Alex,
I found a few lumber yards in Allegheny Forest that sell shorts. As soon as the weather breaks a camping trip will be on the agenda in search for some baffle material. That is, if I don't move on my current plan of recycled urban pallets. Either way a camping trip will be done even if it's to burn some wood relaxing in the night sky.
John

IP Logged
Abunadh
Verified Member

Reply #1299 - 01/30/20 at 06:50:36

The three inch maple butcher block I found on Home Depot's website is definitely a special order item, but you get free shipping!

Here is the link:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swaner-Hardwood-6-ft-L-x-2-ft-6-in-D-x-3-in-T-Butche...

This would be enough to make a pair of the medium baffles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print