Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 12:54:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best amp for Blumenstein Orca? (Read 9234 times)
hoon
Verified Member

Best amp for Blumenstein Orca?
04/14/17 at 21:21:37

I am sort of torn which wattage to get. 2, 6, 20W?

I listen at desktop setting no more than 2 meters and 2 watt should be sufficient but not sure if it will be enough to provide decent headroom at dips and peaks?

For info Orcas are 89db efficient.

Please help!
zen ufo vs rachel vs torii jr.

Thanks

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: Best amp for Blumenstein Orca?
Reply #1 - 04/14/17 at 23:18:08

I think the 2 watt amp is the way to go. I like the smaller footprint, single input tube, cheap output tubes, and lower cost.

The 6 & 20 watt amps will do well. They have their own positives.

6 watt - meters, multiple output tube choices, preamp out, up to 4 inputs

20 watt - dual mono tube regulated power supply, high watts, short signal path

IP Logged
hoon
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/17 at 23:53:05

hmm Thank you but do you think sound quality wise, would Zen throw punches with the bigger sibling?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/14/17 at 23:55:47

I agree that the 2 watt may be the best choice. Unless your speakers have a very complicated and/or power-draining crossover with the configuration and distances you are within I think you should have enough headroom. And the clarity and intimacy of the 2 watt Zen sound is a wonderful thing.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/15/17 at 00:04:23

I have Blumenstein Orcas and have used them with the Zen and the Mini-torii. Both sounded very good with the Orcas. So, 2 and 4 Watts. The Zen provided enough power for me in a desktop setup. The Orcas need a subwoofer to really shine as they don't go down too deep. With a sub, they are a nice setup (I added a Blumenstein sub to the setup). I personally preferred the sound of the Mini-torii with the Orcas not because I needed any extra power, just because they Mini-torii is a bit weightier in the lower mids/mid-bass and I liked that sound with the little Fostex drivers. I can't speak to the Rachael or the Torii jr though.

While I like the Orcas, I have since switched the Orcas for Omega Super 3i speakers in my desktop setup.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
hoon
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/15/17 at 00:09:35

Thank you very much everyone

IP Logged
trusturears
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/15/17 at 22:28:55

I have the Orcas and a UFO2 that's on order and should be here soon.  Will be happy to report back once I get to hear that set up.  Also recently bought a pair of open baffle Betsy's that just arrived and looking forward to giving them a listen and can report back.  Interested in comments from anyone w/a UFO2 and either of two Omegas I'm curious about - the Super 3HO Monitor, or the Compact Alnico Monitor.

RegaPlanet; UFO2; BlumensteinOrca; CaintuckBetsy; RegaRP6w/ExactII; Naim Stageline, NDX, 282/200, OvatorS400; HarbethCompact7ES2
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/17 at 17:43:12

I ran a pair of Orca minis with a single UFO2, and felt the UFO2 was more than sufficient power-wise as well as sound quality. Depending on your room and preference, you may want to consider adding a sub-woofer. I ran the Orca's with Blumenstein Benthic sub and outboard amp.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
hoon
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/17 at 23:55:17

Thank you I have the Baby Benthic ordered. Just wondering would it be too much for a use in condo/apartment? It doesn't seem like traditional subwoofer (goes down only to 30 Hz) so I think it would be ok but I am not too sure if it will end up annoying my neighbors.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/19/17 at 00:46:39

Make sure you isolate it from the floor and it will help reduce the boom.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/17 at 05:57:12

I use my Blumenstein Sub (pre-benthic) in an apartment (on third floor). Use an Auralex Sub-dude to minimize transmission through the floor. Doesn't seem to cause a problem with the neighbors and makes the system much better.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
trusturears
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/21/17 at 23:57:35

I'm in well damped smallish room, about 13' x 15' and am using the UFO2 and Orcas in a second system.  My other set up is solid state all the way.

The UFO2 has been up and running on and off for about 15 - 20 hours so it's still very much just breaking in.  It's extremely well put together and beautiful to look at.  My wife, who could care less about audio, actually like it a lot.  As to the sound, I would imagine anyone going in this type of direction already understands exactly what they're signing up for and doesn't expect to head bang w/a set up like this.  

The UFO2 and the Orcas are a VERY nice match.  You can hear deep into the recording, great tone and dynamics and extremely easy to listen to.  Even at this early stage I'm quite happy!  This combo will play louder than I'd want if I had friends over and we were trying to have a conversation.  More power (and probably a sub) would be recommended if you want to rock out a lot - and for that I'm not sure I'd go the Orca route even w/a sub, but I don't have any actual experience so that's a total guess.

I haven't tried the Betsy's yet.  They're supposedly about 2.5db more efficient (89 v 92.4 from what I've read), so I expect a bit more volume out of them.  Will report back on that.

I could see an extremely efficient Klipsch or Altec type set up getting plenty loud on the 2 watts the UFO puts out.  I don't have room for that.  I still would love to hear anyone who has tried a UFO with the new Omega Super 3HO Monitors or the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors.

RegaPlanet; UFO2; BlumensteinOrca; CaintuckBetsy; RegaRP6w/ExactII; Naim Stageline, NDX, 282/200, OvatorS400; HarbethCompact7ES2
  IP Logged
trusturears
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/21/17 at 23:59:55

actually meant about 3.5db more efficient, sorry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print