XRCD24? (Read 3362 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

XRCD24?
04/22/17 at 01:08:13

Has anyone had experience with any JVC mastered XRCD24 discs?  I just received a bunch of Stockfisch CD's from our good friend Randy in Caintuck (OB Betsy Guy).  First off, I don't know why I didn't buy any of these Stockfisch discs earlier.  They sound great.  Thanks for the special price Randy Smiley

So, I am listing to the Sara K. "Hell or High Water" XRCD disc and damn it sounds frickin' amazing!  Now, I am not sure how much of it is engineering compared to the XRCD24 format since I don't have a regular CD or SACD version of this disk, but it sounds DIFFERENT in the most amazing way.  Massive soundstage.  Incredible detail, timbre... So dynamic.  The other Stockfisch discs I got were SACD.  

Wowzers!!  I am so impressed with the sound quality of this disc through my ZMA and Randy's Betsy's.  I haven't tried my Monoliths yet but I expect nothing short of great.

Would love others thoughts/opinions on this format.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: XRCD24?
Reply #1 - 04/22/17 at 01:33:16

I have a LOT of XRCD and XRCD24 and the transfer and mastering and pressing process they represent does make a difference. In a lot of cases the mastering makes a difference as well--many of the jazz titles are mastered by Alan Yashida and his mastering is superior to a lot of other mastering engineers' efforts on the same titles.

It's pretty safe to say that if you see a title you like in XRCD or XRCD24 it will sound very good and be among the best possible choices for that title.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 04/22/17 at 01:57:42

Thanks Lon.  I kinda of assumed there was actually something to this because this XRCD24 sounds too good to be a fluke or a product of marketing hocus locus.  I am on my second run through this disc.  It is that good!

I don't have a vast optical disc collection but I am starting to pick up a few here and there.  This was the only XRCD of the Stockfish bunch I just picked up, the rest are HYBRID SACD. Happy with what I am hearing so far.    

Thanks for the info.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/22/17 at 11:25:19

Here's an explanation of the process. There is only one plant in the world, in Japan, that can master XRCD and XRCD24. This plant was near the nuclear mishap in Japan of a few years back and production was slowed down.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/xrcd24anaprocess.pdf

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print