Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 102809 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #300 - 11/22/13 at 17:29:20

Quote:
Madddog, did you scap up some RCA OA3's from Tube Depot?

Stone... what exactly are you referring to here?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #301 - 11/22/13 at 19:16:54

Funny how I have my own moments of Zen. I was just randomly googling some audio gear, and stumbled into this photo, the style looked familiar as well as the giant caps, and it lead me to this excerpt form the Torii Mono thread. I've never read through this thread, but seeing as how the Mystery Amp appears to be based on lessons from the big Mono's, I guess I should give it a read (also states basically what I thought about the input caps on the previous page - I was right!)

Quote:
With tube rectification, you create a power supply filter with two or more capacitors separated by either a heavy duty resistor or a choke.  The value of the capacitors are between 10 and 50uf typically.  We presently use 47uf caps, which are the small ones in front of the large ones shown in the above picture.  The giant high voltage caps shown behind them are around 55 times larger and cost a small fortune.

Since the purpose of the power supply caps is to reduce the AC ripple effect and noise from the rectifier, having a simply giant capacitor fed by two super fast recovery 3 AMP diodes gives such superior filtering that you don't need, the resistor or choke, nor do you even need the second capacitor!  That means the output transformers are now directly connected to the raw current of the power transformer.  No more resistors to soften the dynamics, or chokes to eliminate hum are needed.
The noise and hash in the power grid that the VR tubes are filtering out, can not escape the black hole effect of such large caps.  Thus the power is ultra clean.

There really isn't anything more zen if you consider the simplicity of it.

The complexity was in evaluating and choosing the right caps.  Just because it's big don't mean it's all that good.  I wanted the best, so many long nights of reading through product datasheets, I found these and compared them to identical size German made Siemens and US made Mallary caps by installing them into the amplifier and listening to it.  I found these to be the best.  They are sure to last a long time because they are configured for 1000 volts and only see 510 volts.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #302 - 11/22/13 at 19:21:18

Thanks. That helped me understand something.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #303 - 11/25/13 at 01:43:42

The rough draft of the web page is unofficially online.  I will proof and tweak it next week.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/MYSTERY.html

We're getting there!

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #304 - 11/25/13 at 02:13:00

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #305 - 11/25/13 at 02:20:07

Steve,

Are you starting the builds on the Mystery Amps soon?

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #306 - 11/25/13 at 05:15:43

Maddog??  Reply #219.

Steve, thanks for the unofficial thread....I am going to read it now.  -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #307 - 11/25/13 at 06:30:22

Well then.. I'm new on the wait list for a Torii MKiV but I am pondering changing my order to the mystery... I currently have low sensitivity speakers, ellis 1801 at 85db  8ohms. I definitely will be changing my speakers in the next year or two after I have my amp and perhaps a new listening room.. I know, doing things in the wrong order.. very interested in the janszens but my current room will not hold them.

I have VPI turntable and MDAC USB via Mac MIni as my sources. Current amp is a Pass labs INT30.5 but i need more magic. life, body.

Anybody want to weigh in who has listened to these two from the decfest?

I am still thinking perhaps at MKIII burned in would be a good first amp and then wait a few years to upgrade... but then I will still be thinking about what could have been... wish I could listen to some of these models.

Anybody in San Diego have a Decware I can listen to? cheers,

Aaron
Carlsbad, ca

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #308 - 11/25/13 at 09:18:38

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the wonderfully written detailed write up of the new ZMA.

I always enjoy reading about all your other amps e.g. The Mini Torii, super zen etc.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in the past but what was surprising to me was to find out that a Pushpull configuration would be used. I had always assumed that it would be a Single ended design.

Regards,
LS

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #309 - 11/25/13 at 17:04:11

You bring up an interesting point.   The Zen Triode amp was an SET with a single gain stage and a single output tube, one cap and two resistors in the signal path.  To get more power requires either a bigger output tube or several output tubes in parallel.  Parallel ruins transparency.  Bigger tubes need more voltage swing to drive them, so basically another stage.  That means one more cap and two more resistors.  Again, transparency suffers.  

The only way I could get more power without loosing transparency was the TORII push pull circuit. It consists of one gain stage (direct coupled to itself to also become the phase inverter), One coupling cap and two resistors.  The two output tubes are in series with each other, not parallel, so you hear only one tube at any one point.  It is essentially the same transparency as the original Zen SET amp.  The trick is of course, the phase inverter must be able to perfectly marry the two halves without a notch.   Personally, I found that easier than trying to bend the rules of physics by somehow getting paralleled tubes to sound as transparent as a single tube does.

Hope that helps

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #310 - 11/26/13 at 18:47:18

I read in the Mystery Amp webpage preview... that the Decware supplied tubes are Tung-Sol KT66's and OA3's...  but I don't see 0A3's listed as a tube at www.tungsol.com that they currently make... are these NOS tung-sol 0A3's?  Or is the tung-sol site not up to date?  
Where might a person find these?  
Anyone care to elaborate?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #311 - 11/26/13 at 19:43:51

I don't believe anyone is making new OA3 tubes. The page could mean that he found a supply of NOS Tungsol OA3 tubes (personally I've never seen this type by Tungsol) or just that there are OA3s in use in the amp and Steve didn't mean to infer they are Tungsol brand.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #312 - 11/26/13 at 19:53:32

I don't think Steve meant to infer the tubes were Tung-Sol.

I'm pretty sure nobody is currently making the OA3, but they are long lasting tubes. Just in case, I'm going to stock up on a couple extra pairs.

Edit to Add: looking at the photos, it looks like this is what Steve has in the Mystery Amp photographed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-OA3-JAN-CRC-0A3-1768-Vacuum-Tube-/321239775100?pt=Vi...

Since stock is limited to what's "out there", he probably doesn't want to specify what tube the MA will come with as it will probably change with what's available. Doesn't the MK IV use these as well?

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #313 - 11/26/13 at 21:40:18

LR, the mystery amp does appear to have OA3's similar in appearance to the RCA OA3s we bought.  They are not the same ones as I got in the Torii MK IV...those were not coke bottle types but rather short and straight sided.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #314 - 11/26/13 at 21:50:10

I forgot to add:

Grin

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #315 - 11/30/13 at 16:42:13

We're getting their LR!  Parts pulled on a 10/6/order IV with a couple more IV's after that and then us.  Steve, eluded to...in his White C+ sale, that we were looking at January for delivery....and that is just fine for that sweet Amp to come in then.

I noticed the MA is on the Tube Amp page now too.  ....with the Manual yet to follow....I look forward to that....and the biasing play by play.     .....gotta go....my daughter is dragging me out to shop for a snow board for her.........  .
-S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #316 - 11/30/13 at 19:58:53

Yeah, I've been stalking the waiting list. Brianne said that a kitten gets microwaved every time I check the status on the list (which is like every other day at least). So when I check it before I go to bed I yell out to her "Bri, grab another kitten!".

I'm hoping the amps are done just before Xmas. I'm on vacation and can do a proper break in!

I also asked for HDTracks gift certificate for Xmas. Smiley

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #317 - 12/01/13 at 15:55:07

Yey! I noticed the ZMA made it to the main page last night! That's a good sign!

I haven't noticed much difference between the early draft of the ZMA page and the now posted page. I saw the high rez (clickable) overhead photo of the ZMA, but that's all that really jumped out at me.

I wish the other photos were clickable to a high rez version. I wouldn't mind a new wallpaper for my Home Theater PC/Server

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #318 - 12/01/13 at 16:40:08

YES, a 23rd, 24th -or- 26th...27th arrival would be pretty nice.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #319 - 12/01/13 at 17:46:51

I've added an enlargement to the main Mystery Amp photo at the top of the page.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #320 - 12/01/13 at 18:10:44

Thanks Boss!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #321 - 12/01/13 at 18:23:32

Cool, thanks Steve.

Quite frankly, I don't expect the 23-27th delivery. I respect the build process (and you) and how busy you are....when it is ready to ship then it is ready to ship in January.

Right now, I am enjoying my KS3035 break in with my KS1030 IC....the Organic realism with both the SE84CS & SuperZen CKC is not hyperbole.  .....to have the MA in next....an season it over the coming new year....does not get any better... .      -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #322 - 12/02/13 at 20:55:39

Hi Steve, 3 questions:

I noticed you did not list the KT120 Tube. Do you not recommend using them? I realize at 38 watts/per channel...the KT120 might not be utilized as well as the KT66's. Plus, you voiced an like the KT66's...which works for me...if this is what you recommend staying with.

You did not list the Stepped Attenuator as Optional...did you make this a standard feature or was it overlooked in the Copy... . Non issue if you forgot to list it as an option....you generously gave the Red Malory NOS Caps & the Pelican Case....thanks again for that. I just wanted to point it out.

Does the MA have a common ground?  Dual mono sharing the same chassis usually does....and the center ground I see in the photo...sure seems to be common ground... . I need this for my Living Room Speakers...Polk SRS SDA 1.2's....to use the SDA function. However, if it does not have common ground...it is a non issue....Stereo is just fine. My Living Room SDA's are the only Speakers I like/run in SDA.

Thanks in Advance,   -S
I wanted to add....with the current of the MA, the topology with no chokes....and subjectively sounding as powerful as your Mono's....maybe we don't care or need the KT120's or KT150's.

I so look forward to this Amp....the PrimaLuna Dialogue Five drove my SRS SDA 1.2's at 42 watts/per channel Ultra Linear & 21 per in Triode-no problem. However, the PrimaLuna is no Decware Amp...or even close to the Torii III, I had briefly....so back the Prima went.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #323 - 12/02/13 at 21:17:57

On a similar thread - what about the new KT150 tubes?

I'm curious about the stepped attenuation - does it improve the sound at all vs a typical pot? I'm wondering if I should spring the extra $150 for that, or any other features that might help it be all it can be.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #324 - 12/02/13 at 21:30:12

Re: stepped attenuators: I think they are worth it. There's a bit of clarity I think they bring to the equation that is welcome. And the channel balance is more precise than with the pot. . . or can be, some pots are better than others.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #325 - 12/02/13 at 21:52:42

Thanks Lon, that's the theory I was going by as well. In the past, I've not seen Steve overly excited about the stepped attenuators only saying they might be slightly better. I was curious if the difference might be bigger with *this* amp.

$150 would get me some Iso-Cups or tube dampers or what-not.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #326 - 12/02/13 at 22:16:46

Even Balance of the two channels is most important to me...and the slightly better from the Boss....does it for me too.   Cool  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #327 - 12/02/13 at 22:34:42

The room will cause more imbalance than any quality (volume) pot.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #328 - 12/02/13 at 23:28:44

I have heard pots that were a bit more unstable then room Imbalances, especially at low volumes. (I used to live at low volumes, by necessity).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #329 - 12/02/13 at 23:31:01

Lonely Raven wrote on 12/02/13 at 21:52:42:
Thanks Lon, that's the theory I was going by as well. In the past, I've not seen Steve overly excited about the stepped attenuators only saying they might be slightly better. I was curious if the difference might be bigger with *this* amp.

$150 would get me some Iso-Cups or tube dampers or what-not.

Cool. I love my stepped attenuators, I now wouldn't order one of the amps without them.  Just that little nudge further into the sonic wonderland.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #330 - 12/02/13 at 23:33:54

Lin

I have noticed it with my CSP3+ the room is an awful lot of the imbalance equation. Weird with other SS amps I've owned never had to balance like I do with the CSP3+. Also very noticeable with different recordings. Must be the additional detail that I have never had before. Love to pickup a Mystery amp. Need to get some badly needed home improvements done first.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #331 - 12/03/13 at 15:30:04

As Lon mentioned, for balance of the 2 channels at low volume, especially.

Plus, an Amp of this caliber IMHO, would be like buying a Porsche and putting bald tires on it. ....get the Stepped Attenuator. I have never been one to be penny wise and dollar foolish...and I don't plan to be. -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #332 - 12/04/13 at 00:32:29

For those with the stepped attenuator ~ Do you ever find yourself not having the volume dialed in just prefectly?  (i.e. too loud or not loud enough in some instances.) I could see not being satisfied every once in a while if one step makes it too quiet and the next step louder than you want.  

Also, what do you think about having a non-stepped volume on your amp and then a stepped on the Preamp?  (As an example a CSP3+ with a stepped and a Rachel with a non-stepped.)

I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to save money, but a way to get the sound dialed in perfectly.  It seems to me that once you get your amplifier setup you would only use the amp volume once in a while and the preamp would be used as a master volume - it seems like you could get the volume perfect this way.  Of couese this only applies to those with a Preamp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #333 - 12/04/13 at 00:45:26

I'd say. . .no. I never not find the perfect volume. I have a regular pot on my older Torii, and a stepped attenuator on my new one. The two amps sound different enough in between seasoning (favoring the older amp) and design (Steve says the new ones sound better than my old one which was among the first made, and I also think the stepped attenuator offers a bit more clarity). But I've always been able to find the perfect volume.

I'd say if you are going to leave the amp volume fixed. . . then probably no real reason to have a stepped attenuator not he amp. But. . .I often play these days with the volume controls on my two preamps--both with stepped attenuators--and the new Torii volume control --stepped attenuator. Never fail to get the volume "right." Interestingly I've been listening to the new very futzed with mastering wise cd reissues of Jefferson Airplane albums from Culture Factory. These are mastered very loud and there's one volume range where they sound fantastic and three dimensional psychedelic rocking, and beyond that they sound fat bloated and murky. I can find that zone very specifically between the two stepped attenuators. In that zone they sound amazing!

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #334 - 12/04/13 at 00:54:45

It happens to me on my Torii3 and HDT's (96db efficient).  I sometimes do find I'm missing the Goldilocks level (wishing for a notch between two).

This would happen less for less efficient speakers as more of the range of the knob would be used.

Also, I find it only happens on music/cd's that are recorded too loud anyway.  EDIT: on loud cd's, to reach "full loudness" , I use only 5 or 6 notches out of the 20 or 21 on the knob.

On better CD's that use more of their dynamic range and aren't peaking out all the time, I don't have this problem.  Again, more of the volumes range is used.

When it does happen, I realize it, oscillate between the two for a second, then I pick one and forget about it.  not a big deal.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #335 - 12/04/13 at 01:01:26

The ZMA page says it has input level control, so this could be used to attenuate and stretch out the usable volume overall 20/21 steps of the attenuator.  (right?)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #336 - 12/04/13 at 01:29:58

Right

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #337 - 12/04/13 at 04:08:01

Wanted to share my experience with the stepped attenuator/s on my Torii MK4, CSP2+ and CSP3.

Yes, I can always hit the "goldilocks" zone. I do not require any 1/2 turns in-between.

For my digital FLAC files, I did not choose the "normalization" option in order to preserve the dynamic range.
Using my Torii MK4 as a specific example, I normally set my amp to 9 / 20 turns and this setting can handle almost 95% of all my music files.
The small minority of the music I listen to the was either originally recorded too loud or too soft so I can still hit the sweet spot with either 8/20 or 10/20 turns respectively.

My experience with the Torii MK4 is that it has very good dynamic range; at 9/20 turns, I can hear the faintest breathing and whispers (not too soft) from either the singer or from the audience in a "live" recording to vocals when they hit the crescendo of the song (still not too loud) .
so I don't have to move my lazy butt most of the time. Wink

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #338 - 12/04/13 at 04:39:15

Well, my Oppo, which is currently my source, has a variable out - so my current setup (Oppo to Zen) I've got the Zen dialed in as high as I dare (on the edge of objectionable distortion) then use the Oppo remote from there.

So I'm probably going to do the same with the Mystery. Dial the amp up to about 80% or wherever it's top end is, then just control it all from the Oppo.

Also seriously considering the PS Audio DAC in 2014.   Wink

So I think you guys talked me into the stepped attenuation just for getting that last 1% of the amps love.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #339 - 12/04/13 at 05:28:36

Interesting guys, thanks for the insights - the stepped vs non-stepped is something I've always wondered about.  

So considering the ZMA only has one set of inputs has anybody thought how they might set it up for multiple components?  I don't know why there isn't an option for 2 sets of RCA inputs, but only an option for balanced inputs @ $600 Shocked

For those with more than one component in their systems it looks like the ZMA is a canidate for either the CSP3 or ZSB Switchbox.  But I'm wondering how that will effect the sound as it seems that Steve has it dialed in just perfect "as is" and wondering how much room is left for a preamp when it sounds this good as a direct input?

I think the only component missing from Decware's line up is a dedicated Preamp - I know the CSP3 is a preamp, but I would like to see one with at least 4 inputs, knobs/dials on the front, mm phono stage and even a remote option ~ it would be cool if the faceplate was black typewriter finish and it could be fit into a walnut box like the old Macs and Marantz. Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #340 - 12/04/13 at 05:47:21

Quote:
For those with more than one component in their systems it looks like the ZMA is a canidate for either the CSP3 or ZSB Switchbox.  But I'm wondering how that will effect the sound as it seems that Steve has it dialed in just perfect "as is" and wondering how much room is left for a preamp when it sounds this good as a direct input?

I was wondering about this as well. Between the Riding the Gain thing of Pre/Power setup, and the Keep it Super Simple thing of straight to amp - I'm unsure which would sound better with this setup. Seeing how it's designed, I'm thinking no preamp is probably better, but as always, that's probably system dependent.

armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #341 - 12/04/13 at 06:17:58

Indeed, Beowulf, I just purchased a Modwright LS100 to go with my SE34.2+. Why? Because I need 4 inputs, 2 outputs, and remote control. The fact that I prefer preamps with 6SN7s is a lesser factor. I'd happily live with a different tube if my logistical criteria are met.

So I too would love to see a Decware preamp with a bit more flexibility.

David

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #342 - 12/04/13 at 10:20:47

My ZP3  nd CSP2+ will be going in for their their makeover
in the new year. Jupiters, maple casings to match Rachaels,
and a stepped vol attenuator on the CSP. Of course it all
sounds great as is and I needn`t over pamper, but they ask
so nicely. Goldilooks, and a goldilocks game ahead.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #343 - 12/04/13 at 10:40:09

I think that the MA would sound awesome with a great preamp in front of it. I know the KISS philosophy is great on paper, but I've found each of the Decware amps I've owned to sound better with a Decware preamp in front of it. Would be very surprised if the MA, at its price point and with the type of system it is likely to be purchased for, wouldn't as well.

The one input situation is unfortunate. Two would be better, or as you say Decware should offer a more flexible preamp. However I must say I just don't see a preamp as you describe in the Decware line. Just seems that it's the type of circuit that Steve doesn't design, and departing from the minimalist, hardly any wire, philosophy. Which makes the lack of two inputs also problematic--because I would solve the input issue by having two Decware preamps as I have done in my current system, one for each input if there were two.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #344 - 12/04/13 at 13:52:00

Echoing Armstdv, I use a Cary SLP 98P - 5 inputs, 2 outputs, mm phono stage, handy remote, also using 6SN7GT tubes.  I am using it with my Torii IV.  Although the amp has the two inputs and that is all I have, I need the phono preamp and I can't give up the remote.  It only handles mute and volume but that is all I need.  I listen late at night and adjusting volume even in the middle of a piece is useful.

I also think having an active preamp helps with dynamics.  This preamp has been the one constant across two very different amps in my system.  I love it.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #345 - 12/04/13 at 16:12:48

Very tempting gentlemen...very. However, I can only tolerate a pre with my he-man rig out in the Living room.

I do enjoy the luxury of adjustable voltage output from my preA Audio Alchemy DAC with Remote. No additional IC needed with stand alone pre etc... . But if you need multiple inputs-I get it.

It was not lost on me either that Steve used a DAC direct to Amp(s) at ZenFest. Albeit, hi-rez....but I also have the luxury of 18, 20, 22 & 24 bit dither out of my DTI-Pro to i2s...then to DAC.  Yeah, it fools you as if it is hi-rez!  Now, running Kimber Select 1030 IC with Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable in Listening Room (SE84CS) & Kimber Hero IC with Kimber Select 3033 Speaker Cable in Bedroom (SuperZen CKC) does not hurt either. Lower noise floor and musicality through the roof.

I digress, but I am so damn excited to get the MA next month....plus I am on budget to get my Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers (Mar/2014)...very Tube friendly!
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticzen/adagio.html
Chip ran them with 28 watt/ch Mesa Tigris. Plus, I know locally you can drive them with a CS & CKC.  I will drive them with the Mystery Amp of course (too).

Torii IV....on budget for (Aug/2014-order).   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #346 - 12/04/13 at 16:54:16

Looks like the amp wait list has been cleaned up, and the first two ZMA are now on the first page. Made me grin.  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #347 - 12/04/13 at 17:03:53

Vive la ZMA!

(I need to remember the "Z"...it is on the web page now Stone...get with it).  ::)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #348 - 12/04/13 at 17:23:05

Embrace the Change!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #349 - 12/04/13 at 17:33:02

Haaa!  ...that is funny!

I have now embraced....I do use "The Force" as well.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mesa-tigris-integrated-amplifier-specificatio...

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/901mesa/
I mentioned the Tigris in my post above. I wish I could find both of these AMPS on Audiogon...I would buy for comparison & FUN.
The Mesa Baron would be a boat load of fun...if it did not need a lot of work...I would have to pay to get done... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3