04/20/24 at 01:56:13 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 96176 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #200 - 10/23/13 at 19:38:19

I believe I'm #4  (4th MA on the waiting list at least).. and the invoice says Red caps. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #201 - 10/23/13 at 20:07:24

Is there a visible waiting list somewhere?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #202 - 10/23/13 at 20:28:53

Go to this page: https://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html

Select the link Amplifier Real Time Build Sheet  It will launch a pdf.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #203 - 10/23/13 at 20:54:34

Thanks Lon!

Color me not surprised that you know exactly where to find this!  ;D

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #204 - 10/23/13 at 20:59:26

At least i don't have anything on there to wait for. Smiley

My waiting now is for items to be seasoned enough in my second system to move into my main system (Torii Mk III and a CSP2+ with beeswax caps).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #205 - 10/23/13 at 21:06:47

I'm practically bouncing in my seat right now. Really looking forward to seeing and hearing my Mystery amp!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #206 - 10/23/13 at 21:19:46

I know. It's exciting.

I'm very excited by my system these days. I get to spend so little time with it that I don't take it for granted. The audio from the DVR and the Blu-ray just blows me away, as does my vinyl and cd listening. Every second seems stolen from the boring morass of spending most of my time at my parents' (though that boredom is peppered with some really stressy times). My trusty Mk III upgraded to beeswax caps sounds so so good that I don't want to try the new one out yet. . . just don't want to unplug this amazing machine, want it available for the next stolen moments!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #207 - 10/23/13 at 21:32:06

Lon said: Quote:
so good that I don't want to try the new one out yet

I caught that "yet"  

Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #208 - 10/23/13 at 21:42:36

Oh I intend to try the newest (received late July) Mk III in the main system eventually. Maybe in another few weeks or a month. I want to play with the bass controls in that machine; my original Torii couldn't be upgraded to bass controls per Steve.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #209 - 10/23/13 at 22:17:07

Thanks for the build sheet reminder Lon!  

Sweet!    -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #210 - 10/24/13 at 00:58:08

Lon,

Sorry, I misinterpreted "the new one" as the MkIV. Whoops...

Smiley

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #211 - 10/24/13 at 01:36:09

Thought that was the case. No, I'm not tempted by the IV. I think my original III has the right balance of tone and the right features for me. The new III has a bit of a cleaner, clearer sound, and I sense Steve keeps moving in this direction sound wise, and it moves away from what works best for me. I'm so happy with my original III with the beeswax caps, it has a great balance of detail and swing and depth, it's really saddening to me that bass controls can't be added and I bought the new one and yet still feel so loyal to the original one! In time the new one may ensnare me, want to get more hours on it before I try.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #212 - 10/28/13 at 15:48:18

Well, it looks like it's time to say goodbye to an old friend. '74 Porsche 914 - the 3rd "budget" Porsche I've owned. I put her up for sale on Saturday, and had 3 serious offers by Sunday afternoon. I just need to fix a title issue when the DMV is open (and I'm back in town), and I'll have the last bit of mulah I need for my Mystery amp!

Honestly, it's probably for the better...I just don't have the skill to fix her up and get her back on the road myself, and I don't have the funds to pay someone else to do it. It's been sitting in storage at a friends for many, many years. It's best she help fun my audio project, and open up the space at my friends house...so the Mystery amp has been good motivation to move stuff of some value I've been sitting on way too long...

Now the long wait for my amp to be built...

Is it done yet?

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #213 - 10/28/13 at 16:09:39

LR.. I suffer from the same disease - one or two too many hobbies/interest - that take more time & money than I have to spread around.  However, I, like you have found that this "condition" forces me to clean house and balance out things from time-to-time.  And that can only be a good thing!  If I had more time and more $$ than I do now, I would probably be up to my eye balls in unfinished "projects" and our house and property would look like "Sanford & Son's" place!... LOL

Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #214 - 10/28/13 at 16:16:09

Brianne already complains to her parents that I collect/hoard too many projects for my hobbies. Between the guitars and amps, guns and reloading, archery, home theater, computers and networking, two-channel audio, camping/hiking, motorcycling, woodworking, photogrpahy...I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting...yeah, she rolls her eyes and complains when I bring home a new project. LOL

So yeah, moving some stuff out is a good thing. I have piles of computers I need to get out, and I need to get the garage woodworking shop back in order so I can actually focus on house projects. I have a feeling the Mystery amp might derail me from getting anything done late at night though.   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #215 - 10/28/13 at 17:03:41

Nice! It has two too many wheels though so I can see why you're selling it.

Hope the wait isn't too unbearable!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #216 - 10/29/13 at 17:18:34

I purchased two pair of OA3's.

It is nice to hold/see the old boxes with RADIOTRON, RCA Logo's, RADIO CORPORATION of AMERICA, Harrison, N.J. ...Made in U.S.A.
ELECTRON TUBE   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #217 - 10/29/13 at 18:03:04

Nice 914 your selling. Wish I had it. I've had over 100 auto projects. Mostly chevy with some mopar and vw's thrown in.

Selling off from one hobby to support another. I can understand.

Mark

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #218 - 10/29/13 at 18:45:59

Quote:
I purchased two pair of OA3's.

It is nice to hold/see the old boxes with RADIOTRON, RCA Logo's, RADIO CORPORATION of AMERICA, Harrison, N.J. ...Made in U.S.A.
ELECTRON TUBE   -S

Yeah, I'm holding off on any tube purchases for the Mystery amp till I talk to Steve more. He and I seem to like/hear the same thing, so I'll see what he says would be premium tubes to track down.

Quote:
Nice 914 your selling. Wish I had it. I've had over 100 auto projects. Mostly chevy with some mopar and vw's thrown in.

Selling off from one hobby to support another. I can understand.

I really wish I knew more about auto mechanics. I'm mechanically inclined, just never had the opportunity to really work on cars, or someone to teach me how unfortunately.

Brianne (my fiance) keeps giving me grief about not having an emergency fund...I tell her I sorta do...except I can play with my emergency fund(s) until I need to liquidate them for something else.   Grin

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #219 - 10/29/13 at 23:52:26

where are u guys gettin' these NOS, made in the US of A , RCA 0A3's and 0C2's?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #220 - 10/30/13 at 00:32:25

For my Torii MK4, I got such NOS RCA tubes from Vacuumtubes.net

Their tubes are really NOS and tested.

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #221 - 10/30/13 at 01:50:49

I found cheap NOS OA3 and OC2 show up on flea bay quite often, sometimes in big lots too.  Keep looking, there are a few deals on there still.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #222 - 10/31/13 at 05:25:45

maddog, I got these RCA OA3 from Tube Depot/Memphis. Actually, I was not expecting them. They list what they have as "assorted lot". So, I was pleasantly surprised to get these. I am a good customer of 12 years with them.  I like them even more now and have always had great service and great Tubes from Tube Depot.  

I will purchase my backup Quad of Tong Sol KT66 & Quad of 6N1P's from Tube Depot, when my Mystery Amp Ships (so if any failure occurs with the Tubes shipped...I have backup). I will also order a Quad of Tong Sol KT120's too. After a week of burn in on the Tubes shipped & the MAmp.....I will Tube Test these KT66's, KT120's, 6N1P's & RCA OA3's in the MAmp....then shelve them. Unless the KT120's talk to me and say: "keep me in".   Cool   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #223 - 10/31/13 at 12:47:24

That sounds like a good plan. I'm holding off on extra tubes and tube rolling for a bit, till I see what Steve says about the Mystery amp.

Well, I have two more guys looking at the old Porsche, so I might have my Mystery Amp funding by the weekend!

Is it done yet?  ;D

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #224 - 10/31/13 at 15:07:21

Genelex for KT66 are on the docket too. Let us know Steve's Input.

Good news, hope you sell it this weekend. I should sell my Truck...but I would miss it! Especially, 4 wheel drive hi on the fly for the Winter Months. 2006 mint Ford F150 White/Crew Cab V8 Triton, PVD all weather American Racing Rims, Fiberglass Lid, Chrome in between door windows, Chrome Step ups......Grill change. 14.2 miles around town...but damn do I look good doing it!  Plus, who is going to pull the Dodge & Chevy's out of the ditch...or off the beach when they get stuck pulling their Boat Docks in? Yeah, you got it...me.

I digress. Anyway, I have had quite a few things in the last 24 months...and returned.  ...this has fortified the credit on CCard to get the Mystery Amp and another pair of Speakers.

Demoed rigorously in the last 24 months/Returned:

Torii MkIII (I should have kept...I would already have it back with the IV upgrade done!....I sold it after 4.5 months)

PrimaLuna Dialogue Five (can't compete with Decware on ANY Level-good luck with that Kevin Deal)

PWT/PWDII PS Audio (overrated-you don't need to kill a Fly with a Sledge Hammer)

Zu Audio Unions (came to me with 500 hrs on them....very shouty and not refined with tone/timbre. Just a garage rock speaker to me).

Klipsch RF something (returned...but I kept the 2nd pair I had in, of RF 7 II's for my Garage Rock System).

NAD M51 DAC (after many hours...was not tactile or musical....always had a veil....the Anedio D2 destroyed it...as it did the PWT/PWDII=more expensive does not mean better....those that Build a Sledge hammer to kill the FLY are exposed).

Sim Audio MOON W5.3 SE Amplifier w/PS Audio AC-10 (good solid Amplifier...but I can't sit and actively Listen to 2 channel Music through Solid State anymore.....Decware has ruined me)!  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #225 - 10/31/13 at 15:22:41

I disagree with you about the PWD and PWT, I think we like different things and I would probably prefer these to the ones you prefer, that's the way of the world and I welcome it!

Hope your Mystery Amp and next speakers fill the bill! I want you to be as happy as I am! Cheesy

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #226 - 10/31/13 at 16:29:42

I really enjoy listening to you guys talk about what you do and don't like about audio, and how we have different wants/needs and there is no one perfect answer.

For example, when I first met Steve, his setup was very clinical (anal as he likes to call it), and Fast Forwarding to today I see his gear has gotten even more musical, without losing detail. Listening to you guys makes me  more aware of what I'm listening too, as I feel I was getting a bit too much on the clinical side; I had a couple friends over and they were like, "this sounds awesome, but yuck".  [smiley=10.gif]

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #227 - 10/31/13 at 18:24:08

I a/b'd my Torii MK.III to the IV, to the MA and the mono's at the fest... for my tastes and at least one particular pair of speakers I have, the Torii mk.III is the cat's meow... keeper for life I think.  
I can make my III sound much like the IV by changing the input tubes, but I just really like the fluid resolution of the III and the treble shunt and bass dampening control of the III - flexibility is priceless and the controls on the mk.IV don't do much that my ears can detect - very, very subtle at best.  I don't think I will ever part with my Torii MK.III... however... the Mystery Amp is another story.  To my ears, and this goes for all Decware amps when mated to the appropriate speakers(they are all great), the Mystery Amp is not so much "better" as it is different to my ears.  It paints the soundstage and images differently than my Torii.  I might have to acquire a Mystery Amp in 2014... as an "addition to", not a replacement of my Torii mk.III.  
After talking to Steve, I did get the Jupiter upgrade to my III though - just got it back this week.  Not much time on it yet at all.  Though I do perceive it has changed.  However, I'm not yet able to fully "quantify" & "qualify" what I'm hearing.  But it has changed enough, that when I set the bass & treble controls "by ear".... I have them in different positions than I had them in before the Jupiters.  First impressions say that things have improved at both ends of the frequency extremes..

Stone... I'm afraid I have fallen prey to the same fate as you - Decware has ruined me from ever listening to sand-amps in my man-cave 2-ch system for life.  Even the best ss amps I've heard, sound gray, thin, bleached, "dry" to me now as compared to Decware.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #228 - 10/31/13 at 21:29:54

You are absolutely right Lon. I hope I did not come off as a dink with my assessment of my last 24 months.

LR, you are so right. I feel it is not cliché at all to say.....Decware Amps are our common denominator and we all learn from each other for sure. Me, probably more so from you guys.

maddog, ruined is right!  

Well, time to go buy some Candy at Target!  I have at least 80 kids coming to the door soon (6 till 9:30 pm)!    -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #229 - 11/02/13 at 02:04:31

Ad the Porsche sold tonight!

So I now have all the funding for my mystery amp!

Is it done yet??  ;D

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #230 - 11/02/13 at 15:53:19

Awesome LR...SOLD!

I know....is it done yet?

I keep looking at the build sheet...as if it is going to go faster or something?!  All those IV's ahead of us!  The pain....the pain!  :'( Grin
-S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #231 - 11/04/13 at 17:48:44

I look forward to finding out how much the MA weighs? I can wait until the official web page posting.

I brought my Emotiva XPA-2 at 83.5 pounds boxed & 72.6 out of box...inside and downstairs all by my lonesome. ....pays to stay in shape.....but damn heavy.

I look forward to carrying the MA into the Listening Room.....it will sound so not like Solid State....even while it waxes & wanes through burn-in.    -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #232 - 11/04/13 at 18:39:01

Quote:
I look forward to finding out how much the MA weighs? I can wait until the official web page posting.

I was thinking the same thing...but I was wondering because I want to get some Tenderfeet or Iso-Cups or the like for it.

But now you have me wondering if my glass and steel rack is going to be sturdy enough to hold it up. I've already had the big dog knock into one of the glass shelves, shearing the mount and dumping my Onkyo Home Theater receiver out the front of the rack as the shelf tilted. I have several HDMI ports that no longer work since that incident.  >:(   I'd hate to have that happen with the Mystery amp...I may just use this as an excuse to replace the racks with something DIY.

For some reason 60# is coming to mind...either Steve said that in the build thread, or someone through out that rough number as an example.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #233 - 11/05/13 at 16:32:08

My MA will be firmly planted on the floor on 1/2 inch wood....in the Listening Room or in the Living Room (both rooms in basement/finished-no vibration from poured concrete underneath carpet).

Do you realize how awesome this Amplifier is? Read post #76 again about biasing. I so look forward to dialing the MA in and driving it to its threshold when desired and always at optimum.

After initial bias setup.....
Steve wrote:
......"because the bias of the tubes change with warm up.  You need a way to adjust quickly look at the amp and see if the two tubes are drawing the exact same number of mills.  If they are not, you need a simply frikin knob to turn to make them that way... all while listening to music, uninterrupted".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #234 - 11/05/13 at 17:21:02

I'm getting to where I don't want to fiddle with my gear as much as I used to. I also like the fact that after the amp and tubes are seasoned and warmed up, I *don't* have to muck with the bias once it's dialed in.

I've stopped reading this thread over and over...it's driving me slightly mad. http://youtu.be/vkT5dVJsnYk

I'm researching other improvements I can do to my setup to prep for the Mystery amps arrival. I'm seriously looking at one of those Power Plant that the guys are always talking about...

In the mean time, I'm mentally sending good vibes to the audio gods in hope they whisper in Steve's ear that it's time to assemble the first five Mystery amps....I have a birthday coming up after all (Nov 12th) and this is the biggest and *best* birthday present I've ever gotten myself.   Grin

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #235 - 11/05/13 at 19:46:13

Yes LR, I like the fact as well...once dialed in...you don't have to mess with the Quad that is in there until you replace that Quad.

I am with Steve on the Power regen stuff. Take what he is using the OA3 for in the Mystery Amp....for power cleaning/preamp....and he mentioned you can bury your Power regen's in the ground....to enrich the iron in the earth. I agree with him. I just use a Adcom 515 AC Enhancer to clean up the hash...like a TripLite does.

Now, what I have found to lower noise floor and get out of the way of the music....is my Kimber Select 1030 RCA IC & Kimber Select 3033 Speaker Cable. To revealing to use with high-efficiency Speakers.....but the Kimber Select is excellent with 86 to 92db types/1watt/1 meter (and with a great DAC front end & Amp of course).   -S

PS-that Queen Link is awesome.  I just recorded via DVR off of Serius Sat Radio (Dish Network)...."Tie Your Mother Down"....with my HSU MBM12 & Polk SRS SDA 1.2's in the Living Room....cranked Up FUN!  

I also recorded that LORDE song....from Serius....considering it is not resolution from Redbook/per good DAC....the low end from the Synth...is sweet..... . Kids..... Cool

It would be nice to see our MA's by mid December....were #1 & #2 on the List!   Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #236 - 11/05/13 at 20:10:35

Well, believe Steve if you want, but I've used my Decware amps with and without a power regenerator and whether they have his OA3 circuit or not, they're BETTER with a regenerator and not as good without one. I'll not be without one if I can help it.

And I'm not sure I've ever heard Steve say that about power regenerators.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #237 - 11/05/13 at 20:39:18

Reply #66 in this thread. Each to his own...nothing to get worked up about. -S Cool

Reply #34...about the OA3...in conjunction with reply #66.

"Of course to feed the preamp stage (smaller tubes) we need to drop the voltage and the common way to do that is a high wattage resistor followed by a small capacitor.  That is how the Torii Mono's were done.  In this amp, I am replacing this resistor with a vacuum diode aka voltage regulation tube (OA3) which will give me the same voltage drop as the resistor but with 20 times the ripple reduction and 100% decoupling so that harmonics from dirty power grids in your city do not contaminate the pure DC power feeding your critical preamp stage.  This also means that again 100% of the heat has been eliminated.

This will be the first power supply I've ever done that has zero resistors and zero chokes.  It's so Zen it's scary".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #238 - 11/05/13 at 20:51:30

I'm not worked up. It's just my own personal experience makes this sound like sales hype.

Sorry, I'm just very skeptical, and just wanted to point out that my personal experience with all other amps goes counter to that. Maybe this one is some miraculous new thing. Steve puffs so much that I am skeptical a lot these days. I love him and his work, I just could use leaner prose and milder posturing The way he writes about that amp actually steers me away from it.

Hope you get it soon and it's all you want it to be. But I bet if you put a P10 in front of it you would hear an improvement. But then again, do you need the improvement? That's the apt question I think these days.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #239 - 11/05/13 at 21:38:20

I think there is more than just cleaning out the hash and bad harmonics to the Power Plant - having that perfectly regulated power makes everything work better, including the source (or maybe especially my digital source and all it's clocks). My power is regularly 125v to 127v. I've got a Monster Signature HTS-5100 that's signed by Mr Lee (adds more db! LOL). I've also got a lab grade Trip Lite line conditioner I picked up from an AT&T fiber optics lab (not an Isolation Transformer like Steve suggests). So I've got plenty of filter options...but I can see where the perfect sine-wave and sag-free regulation surpass simply isolating the Mystery amp and my Oppo.

Hell, at Decfest Steve had the Mystery and MKIV hooked up to the Trip Lite IS1000  for whatever that's worth.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #240 - 11/05/13 at 21:53:31

Quote:
Steve said,
... you can bury your Power regen's in the ground....to enrich the iron in the earth.

Sorry for the dumb question, but surely he's not talking about burrying a PS Audio Power Plant in the dirt in your backyard Grin

Can somebody explain what exactly he means by that statement?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #241 - 11/06/13 at 00:47:15

Well, I only have one 0a3 amp, the ZP3. I suppose I could plug into the mains for an a-b comparison. Thats the thing, you may have the ZP3, Torii mk 3/4, but the CSP doesn`t have the 0a3 to filter mains. So a power plant is always going to be on your wish list if you dont have one.
PS regen, ok, but lets not get too carried away. If by divine intervention you swopped one out  and used my unit you wouldn`t hear anything but clean music. And there isn`t much difference in price, and the company that made mine make power plants much more expensive.
Thats the first time Ive seen that quote from Steve. I can have a slight chuckle. Gotta be a tongue in cheek little poke to pull the legs of the PS users.
Now.....plug the ZP3 into the mains......maybe another day.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #242 - 11/06/13 at 01:49:14

I think it is tongue n' cheek.

Maybe I should try one?   -Stone

(Seriously, I am not being tongue in cheek).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #243 - 11/06/13 at 01:54:28

Quote:
marky said,
Gotta be a tongue in cheek little poke to pull the legs of the PS users.

OK, I'm officially a dork (like everybody didn't know that already Grin) haha ... I didn't actually think he meant to stick a PS Audio P10 in the ground and bury it, but was thinking more along the lines of using some type of device for earth grounding. Tongue

Quote:
marky said,
... the company that made mine make power plants much more expensive.

What brand are you using by the way?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #244 - 11/06/13 at 12:46:01

It`s an Iso-teK power sub. Now discontinued but they pop up on bay at good prices. New they were around £1k. They do cater for the US and having a quick look found one of their giant models retailing at $13k. I imagine they have most models on sale in the US.
The power sub is large, very heavy and as far as I know excellent, and with 6 outlets I can get my 4 Decware amps + tt and cassette all sorted. The PS does intrigue, and the debate/info has gone up a notch on the `regeneration` thread. So maybe we can give Steve some credit for that quote which is bringing more light to the regen topic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isotek-Substation-Audiophile-Flag-Ship-High-End-Mains-...

http://www.kosmic.us/isotek-power-filters.html

Congrats to the MA owners.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #245 - 11/06/13 at 13:26:25

No, I won't be trying one. Steve uses a Trip Lite. I use an Adcom 515 etc.... .

Read all of reply #34 & #66.....hope it offers clarity. It does for me.

"Steve Puffs so much"
"The way he writes about that Amp steers you away from it"
REALLY LON?!

-Stone.....I rest my case your Honor.  ;)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #246 - 11/06/13 at 13:34:36

That was a completely honest answer Stone. I'm sorry, I'm not into his ramped up writing.

It makes it seem like hype even if it isn't, and I'm not much of a fan of hype.

So REALLY Stone. I've even been downplaying how much I dislike it, and it HAS made me less interested in the amp than I would otherwise.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #247 - 11/06/13 at 15:02:58

I'm sure my jumping up and down about the Mystery amp doesn't help Lon's position.  ;D

At least I'm not silly enough to go in a head-to-head debate with Lon about Decware gear (even though I think he's completely wrong - LOL). I appreciate that we all like different things, and I trust what I heard with my own ears. I'm a po'boy selling off other hobbies to scramble to afford the Mystery Amp, it's that good to me - and I'm a skeptic at heart; *everything* has to prove it's worth to me before I sign off on it. But Lon has a specific sonic aesthetic in mind, and I think he's got it, and I'm reaching for a bit more clinical sound, with super detail and a touch of harmonics - and that's what I heard with the Mystery amp...so I may have found my "sonic aesthetic" as well (I like that term!)

So the Power Plant will have to prove itself to me against the few other toys I have to put it up against. Hell, I'm so dedicated to making this work, I've seriously considered running the same MILspec wire that Steve uses for the Zen Styx as the power wire for the dedicated 20 amp circuit!

On a similar note, I just stumbled into an IS1000HS (Hospital Grade) Trip Lite Isolation Transformer for under $200! So I snapped it up to give it a spin. If I don't like it, it should be easy to flip - but if I like it, it will give me that couple percent improvement in my current system and future system till I can swing a Power Plant.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #248 - 11/06/13 at 15:10:18

As for Steve's hype...I  love hearing it - it cracks me up! I trust the man, and I've told him that many times before, but I being the skeptic I am I take everything he says with a grain of salt - and the gear still has to prove itself to me. The problem is, he's more often right on the money than not. It doesn't help that he said at the last meet that he and I "hear things a lot a like".

So while he suggests the Mystery amp puts the need for a Power Plant out to pasture ( for better grounding! LOL) - I'd have to hear that to believe it. It would be awesome if all I needed was the Isolation transformer for surge protection...would certainly save me a lot of money, but I have my doubts.

I hate to admit, his comment did make me wonder if improving my grounding scheme at the house would improve my sound any. Hey, if I'm nutty enough to wire an outlet with 10 AWG Zen Styx, why not improve the grounding scheme?  ;D

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #249 - 11/06/13 at 15:36:09

Hey, I'm glad you're excited about the amp and if his writing helped that's fine and dandy.

Have to say though I've gotten messages and feedback from people who have looked into Decware because of my use and talk of it who are turned off by the web pages and the way Steve presents his products. They buy Marantz or Jolida or Manley instead. Wasting their money in my opinion, but presentation and first impressions are important.

And we are looking for different types of sound reproduction and it appears to me that the Mystery Amp is more the detailed sound type that isn't as helpful to the recordings that I listen to as the more flexible Torii Mk III. I don't like a very detailed, forward sound, I have the kind of sound I like. And I don't need the power and if I ever am able to afford a space where I would need it, I'll have enough money then to buy the Mystery Amp Mk XXV. Smiley

The truth of the matter is that I'm set with my systems now and I'll play around with cabling and isolation etc. for fine-tuning but I don't need to read what comes off to me as hype about new amps.  I really don't even need to appear here and post every day over and over. Part of me wants to stop, and I may taper off.

The waiting for these Mystery Amps is going to be hard! I hope they come in a month or so and I'm looking forward to reading the impressions I know you two won't be able to keep to yourselves when they arrive.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Send Topic Print