Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 98523 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The MYSTERY AMP  - PRE ORDERS
Reply #150 - 09/24/13 at 03:37:49

I've been asked by quite a few people if they can place a pre-order for the Mystery Amp in an effort to be the firsts ones in line for it... or put another way, get one as soon as humanly possible.

The base price on the amp is $4695 and here is a non-published pre-order link:

http://secure.ultracart.com/cgi-bin/UCEditor?merchantId=DIY&ADD=MYSTERY-AMP

Keep in mind this will position you in the list against other Mystery Amp Orders only.  The 8 to 12 weeks production time will start once we have the amp published on the web site in the next month or two.

WWW   IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #151 - 09/24/13 at 06:08:44

That amp is stunning! absolutely beautiful. Just knowing who made it... you know it sounds as good as it looks. I have to quit looking at it before I do something that will wind me up in divorce court!

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #152 - 09/24/13 at 06:36:53

I tried out the link, a fully upgraded Mystery Amp would cost about US$6 grand, that's about 2x the cost of the Torii MK4 with all options included.

Dear Steve,

Could you please elaborate on the NOS Red Mallory power caps option?

That's really new to me.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #153 - 10/07/13 at 22:20:13

Well, while waiting for DM945/Passive Sub & Mystery Amp to make it onto the Website.....I went and pre-ordered the Mystery AMP!

I'm assuming you guys listened to it at the Fest with a Stepped Attenuator and the Black KEMET Power Supply Caps?! Also, short run RCA connection....XLR only needed for long runs of cable....if you're not using a Reference Single Ended RCA cable (ie - Kimber Select 1030 RCA). -S  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #154 - 10/07/13 at 22:33:19

the Mystery amp "seemed" to have the Std. Decware input attenuator... smooth rotation.  At least I didn't feel any "steps" in it, like the stepped attenuator in my Torii III has.  The MA on display also did not have the XLR input option.  The std. Decware silver ribbon, single-ended RCA IC's were in use.  And the big power supply caps on the M Amp were "black"... I don't know brand/model.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #155 - 10/07/13 at 22:40:04

I remember seeing a big pile of those old Mallory PS caps up high on a shelf there. They caught my attention. I don't recall the amp we listened to having them though.

It also had the smooth volume I thought, not the stepped. I didn't fiddle with volume much on the Mystery, it was easy to get going.

The setup, as I recall, was Apple Laptop, to TEAC DAC (sorry, I don't know the model), Decware Silver reference (1 Meter I believe), Mystery Amp powered by Decware DHC-1 power cord, plugged into a little Trip Lite power isolation transformer. 10' Zen Styx into whatever speakers were on hand. The Mystery amp sounded excellent with every speaker plugged in.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about this Pre-Oder link...I just put my order in!!!!!!!!!11!1!!   Cheesy

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #156 - 10/07/13 at 22:51:31

DAC was this one I believe
--> http://audio.teac.com/product/ud-501/

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #157 - 10/07/13 at 23:13:13

I guess I was typing too slow (or doing too many things at once) and didn't see your post before mine. Yes, that's the DAC in question.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 10/07/13 at 23:13:55

I would like to know more about the Red Mallory NOS caps as well ...

I was playing around with the cart as well and this is what I chose:

• Dark Walnut Base.
  • Stepped Attenuator.
  • Cream Chicken Heads.
  • 4-8 Ohms Output Transformers.
  • Single-Ended RCA Inputs.
  • Red Mallory NOS Caps.

Total = $5345 - 10% Coupon = $4810.50 (there was a 10% Coupon for you lucky guys who attended Decfest right?)

Well, this old sailor can dream can't he? Grin

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 10/07/13 at 23:15:35

Quote:
Lonely Raven said,
Yes, that's the DAC in question.

That can do DSD I believe ... Never heard it, but it is reasonably priced DSD DAC.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #160 - 10/10/13 at 19:29:21

Is mine done yet.   Tongue

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #161 - 10/10/13 at 19:53:45

Beowulf....I got:

Walnut Base.
•Stepped Attenuator.
•Walnut Knobs
•4-8 Ohms Output Transformers.
•Single-Ended RCA Inputs.
•Black Kemet Caps...is what he had burned in at the Fest?

I would like to know more about the NOS Mallory too.
I should just get them like you did....will see if Steve chimes in. I have seen both in the pictures of the Amp. They were the Kemets at the Fest per Maddog I think mentioned.

Lone Raven...you mean is mine done yet?!   Roll Eyes

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 10/11/13 at 01:37:56

Quote:
Stone said,
I should just get them like you did...

LOL, the difference is that I was only playing with the shopping cart ... you actually bought one!  Lucky dog! Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #163 - 10/11/13 at 05:02:56

beowulf, living the life of Walter Mitty?  

It's all good!

I hope you know their is a difference?  Decware & this Forum exists because their is a difference.

As the late great Harvey Gizmo ALWAYS SAID: Gifted Listeners Unite!

Oh, please tell me you're not a TROLL....are you nit pic reincarnated!!!????  ....oh, he was fun! Grin

The 12 years of this Forum.....we can smell um'.

-Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 10/11/13 at 06:49:23

Quote:
Stone said.
beowulf, living the life of Walter Mitty?  

It's all good!

I hope you know their is a difference?  Decware & this Forum exists because their is a difference

I'll have to stick to my little Decware Taboo MkII for now (and live vicariously through you and your revolving door of electronic goodies Cheesy) ... because, I'd have to pull a bank heist to afford the Mystery Amp any time soon. Cry

I do find myself adding stuff in the shopping cart all the time though .. hmmm maybe my realities are getting skewed ... Walter Mitty huh? hmmm Huh ... Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #165 - 10/11/13 at 15:02:44

I am just messin' with you Beowulf. Your Taboo is everything the bigger Amp is. I just want more power. However, a single output tube per channel via your Taboo or my CS or CKC...will always have a level of fidelity....that quite frankly, does beat push pull.

....if you want more power though....and because I had a Torii III for 4 months...the tinnie weeny weeny bit you give up IMHO....is worth it....to get the POWER (Steve's gifted IMHO).

I need to get into hi-rez too....which you are already enjoying. Thanks for the offer on the other thread to send me some hi-rez. I will get there.

Let me also tell you....I had some good fortune in selling some things...so I could come up with the sheckles to swing the purchase of the Mystery Amp....I don't take it for granted.    

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #166 - 10/14/13 at 23:03:36

I didn't want to pester Steve with a call or a knock on the door saying "is it done yet", so I sent an E-mail asking if he could chime in here in the forums about the Red Mallory Caps on the Mystery amp, and why it's a $500 upgrade.

Hopefully we hear from him soon...because, you know, I've probably got another 10 weeks to decide if I want them or not. LOL

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #167 - 10/15/13 at 04:54:23

Yes, ....and I have another 9 weeks & 6 days to decide if I want them (when they pull the parts).  LOL

Nice LR, hopefully Steve will chime in about them (RED Mallory Caps NOS). The Red looks cool too. The stealthy black Caps as well.

Being NOS and he has a couple MA's burning in with each set of Caps(?) Unless for the Fest he switched out the Mallory's we saw and burned in the black Kemets...with one MA up and running/broke in.

I picked the Walnut Base with Walnut knobs. I had a Torii MkIII and liked it with that base.
I also chose the Stepped Attenuator, 4-8ohm, RCA Inputs and the black caps.  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #168 - 10/15/13 at 05:07:54

Ditto -

Walnut, Walnut, RCA,4-8 Ohm, Black Caps. I didn't go with the stepped. Unless there is a good reason for it that I'm not aware of?

I wouldn't mind a figured cherry base - but I didn't feel like it was worth $100 upcharge for plane cherry. I could make my own base pretty easily. In fact, I have a decent stash of various woods in good thicknesses. Once I know the base dimensions I might churn out something in a nice exotic figured hardwood.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #169 - 10/15/13 at 05:17:44

The stepped attenuator is really not necessary....I just like the action of them.

Nice, you have the talent for woodwork DIY.

I ordered/have an Oak Base for my SE84CS a few years after I had it and now want one for my CKC.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #170 - 10/15/13 at 06:16:26

I might end up prefering the Tung-Sol KT66. However, Steve has the topology set up to handle the KT120.  So, I have to do it with four 6N1P's for pre. I also have a nice stock of NOS Sovtek 6922's.    -S

Tung-Sol KT120 Power Vacuum Tube

This is the most powerful audio power tube in production today. With a plate dissipation rating of 60W (compare that with the 35W of the 6550, the 42W of the KT88, and the 50W of the KT90), a pair of these KT120 tubes in push-pull configuration can deliver 150 watts or more of audio power. And when used in a vintage circuit designed for 6550 or KT88, the KT120 will deliver unbelievable amounts of clean headroom, low end rumble and dynamic punch all without overloading. The glass of this tube is a full 1/2" taller with the internal plate structure 3/8" longer than its nearest KT88 cousin. The internal control grid cooling fins are twice as large as the KT88 adding to the amazing performance of this tube. This particular tube draws between 100mA (.1A) and 300mA (.3A) more filament current than a standard KT88, so check with your amp manufacturer to insure you have the additional filament headroom to power these tubes. This new KT120 is the steamroller of audio tubes, prepare to be flattened.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #171 - 10/15/13 at 13:02:34

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford any tube rolling on these. A quad of NOS KT66 is like $900. KT120 sound neat, but I didn't feel the Mystery was lacking in power with the Decware speakers since I kept turning it down during our demos. Unless the KT120 have some harmonic or textural difference that's really interesting, I probably don't need them.  

I'll probably just get some of those Herbie's Tube Dampers for all the tubes and call it a day.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #172 - 10/15/13 at 14:52:19

I do not do ridiculous NOS... .

Steve voiced the Amp to be great as you have heard with Tong-Sol KT 66's that can be had for $140. a quad & Tong-Sol KT120's at $190. per quad.  The 6N1P's for 10 bucks each and the OA3 lasts for just about forever.  End of BS NOS for me.  ::)   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #173 - 10/15/13 at 15:32:18

Some OA3 and 6N1P rolling could be done relatively inexpensively. River Ranch mentioned an inexpensive alternative to the 6N1P in the Super Zen thread. I saw sleeves of 5 (forgot the tube model) for $40. I saw 60's vintage OA3 for $40.

I've played with the Tung-Sol KT-66 in guitar amps and I know they are good. I probably won't look further there, unless some NOS something falls into my lap. None of my guitar amps use KT-66, so it's not one I happen to have handy like KT-77 or EL34.

I spoke with Steve during Decfest about building a cherry base for my "vintage" Zen Amp - it runs really, really hot as it is...so I'm concerned about adding a heavy wood insulator to the metal casing. He said it shouldn't matter...but I noticed running tubes other than 6N1P, it runs noticeably cooler. It's still on my winter To-Do woodworking projects.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 10/15/13 at 15:35:25

I have a C amp with a beautiful beautiful maple stand. The amp runs hotter than anything else I've ever known (it's modded by Eddie Vaughn if that makes a difference) and I thought I'd see how it did without the case.

To be honest, it sounds about 10 percent better without the case. And it should be ventilating better.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #175 - 10/15/13 at 15:36:33

Yes LR! Herbie's Halo's are excellent.

I use a pair of Herbie's on my coveted Svetlana SV83 Tubes on my SE84CS.
I also, have a 5 pound brass weight on the Transformer. System is configured on floor (finished basement) as is my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Turntable out in the Living Room He-Man rig (slightly elevated on top of two old Denon CD Changers).
...Back to the Listening Room, my Digital resides on Townsend Seismic Sink Pneumatic. Isolation is Key.    -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #176 - 10/15/13 at 15:42:33

I love the case my SE84CS is in...with a character knot from Zigy right in the front.....I can't take it out of it.  

The 6N1P does run hotter....I have it in my CKC...so no case on that Amp...for the better.  I sometimes run a 6N1P, EL84 with GZ34 Rectifier...you want to talk about hot in my SE84CS!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #177 - 10/15/13 at 15:49:20

I'd be curious if you thought the amp sounds better without the case. My case is beautiful too, really, but It's very clear differnce to me, the sound is more open and dynamic and even my Mom noticed it. "What did you do?" she said shortly after I removed it.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #178 - 10/15/13 at 16:00:20

I will try it Lon and hear what happens.

Oh, I should add, because I have over 900 CD's...I take their playback seriously.  
Vinyl?........I love it....but I can enjoy my old records (approx 400 and counting) out in the Living Room Rig.....via my Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers.....= a lot of fun.

Real Jazz & Contemporary Jazz in the Listening Room & Classic Rock in the Living Room on Vinyl. Of course I use an affordable Record Washer/Spin Clean MKII - Deluxe.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #179 - 10/15/13 at 16:03:41

I've about 20 times that many cds, and take its playback very seriously as well! I'm so very happy with my PS Audio Duo (s) -- they do Redbook better than anything I've heard and no need for me to try something else.

I can enjoy vinyl in both of my systems, but the ZP3 in the main system makes me want to listen to it more there. At times the vinyl playback exceeds the digital, man there's just something about records.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #180 - 10/15/13 at 16:09:38

Oh, I am aware of your awesome collection Lon. We have been conversing on this forum with each other for 12+ years. Imagine if they kept the original post count when Steve switched over the Forum to new?.........you would be in the stratosphere!  

I agree, I might upgrade my Vinyl. However, it does make me turn my head sometimes with my current Rig....James Taylor's....Daddy Loves his Work...straight through...both sides.....this morning....wonderful.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #181 - 10/15/13 at 16:16:14

Yes, it's been that long. I deleted my whole profile one time (not sure if it was on purpose or by accident) and I would have thousands more even if I hadn't.

I post too much. Wish I could stop. Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #182 - 10/15/13 at 18:40:32

Nope, never stop Lon. I appreciate your insights.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #183 - 10/15/13 at 19:39:27

Quote:
Yes LR! Herbie's Halo's are excellent.

I use a pair of Herbie's on my coveted Svetlana SV83 Tubes on my SE84CS.
I also, have a 5 pound brass weight on the Transformer. System is configured on floor (finished basement) as is my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Turntable out in the Living Room He-Man rig (slightly elevated on top of two old Denon CD Changers).
...Back to the Listening Room, my Digital resides on Townsend Seismic Sink Pneumatic. Isolation is Key.    -S

I do indeed need to work on isolation. I just hear so much BS about what works. I'd really like to setup some sort of micro seismometer on my amp and/or Oppo Disc player and *document* what's really happening. But I see all this stuff I'm skeptical of, like putting crystals and  maple wood blocks and brass weights (vs lead or something else) and supposedly these things *enhance* only the positive aspects of the music... color me super skeptical. So for starters, I just want to do real isolation with good stands/bases etc. I'm just having trouble finding something DIY or reasonably priced.

Stone, what Halo's do you recommend I try? The expensive Titanium ones don't seem like they'd work well. The guitar ones are priced well, but it has me curious if the other models would make a difference. I may have to get a set of the titanium ones, try them out, then send them back if I don't feel they make a noticeable or positive difference.

Tube damping makes sense, but again, too much snake oil out there muddying the waters.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 10/15/13 at 21:28:58

Quote:
Stone said,
Nope, never stop Lon. I appreciate your insights.

+1 - it wouldn't be the same here without your insights!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #185 - 10/15/13 at 22:24:26

Thanks Gents. Probably couldn't stop if I tried. Smiley

Listening to the new Garcia release, Live Volume 3, "Legion of Mary 1974," great stuff.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #186 - 10/18/13 at 02:12:51

So...who else it checking the web page and forums a couple times a day hoping Steve has chimed in on the Mallories and/or updated the Amps pages?

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #187 - 10/18/13 at 03:23:36

The red caps are N.O.S. caps made in the USA.  They give the amp more bass weight and a slightly better "hit".   These are obsolete caps.  The closest thing available is this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/CGH272T500X4C/?qs=sGAEpiMZZ...

The red ones I have weigh over a pound more despite being the same physical size...

Anyway I plan to make my stash of red caps an option until my supply is gone.  I think I have enough for 25 amps.  The first five Mystery Amps built will come with these caps as my gift for being the first five people to own one.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #188 - 10/18/13 at 03:28:48

Quote:
The first five Mystery Amps built will come with these caps as my gift for being the first five people to own one.

Oh please let me have been smart enough/soon enough to be in that first five!!   Cheesy

mkoepsel
Verified Member

Reply #189 - 10/18/13 at 03:42:07

I'm new here and just read the whole thread. Gotta say very impressive.

Mark

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #190 - 10/18/13 at 14:49:00

Welcome Mark!

Quote:
After hearing what this amp does with 24 bit 384kHz PCM files as well as SACD 2.8mhZ and 5.6Mhz files I am spoiled for life. My entire CD collection is now officially garbage and will never pollute these ears again. Thank God I lived long enough to see digital playback finally sound good enough to compete with vinyl... it gives me great hope for the future of audio.

I keep coming back to this quote from Steve - the technology is here, my concern is that I'm seeing many recordings put out that are upsampled crap, or compressed to death. I really hope they start going back to those original master recordings and pulling every bit of detail out of them at no compromise sample rates. I don't mind if I'm listening to Hendrix and I hear the limitations of a 1960's 4 track tape...I want to hear it as Hendrix heard it! (and I'm not about to jump into Vinyl at this stage).

Part of the reason I put in my order for the Mystery amp, besides the fact that I truly felt it was superior to the MK IV - even on CD, is that I plan on having this amp for a long, long time - well into the era of high bitrate, high samplerate HD music. I've had my Zen amp for 15 years, and I play the snot out of it. Just about every day I fire it up, something special happens with the music - I'm looking forward to that with the Mystery amp for a another 15-20 years.  ;)

Steve, technical question on the caps. Coming from the guitar amp world, I've had to replace many, many electrolytic caps over the years in my amps. What's the expected lifespan of these big Mallory cans you're putting into the amps? I know with guitar amps they recommend replacing the caps every 10 years because they dry out and start allowing noise to come through. So I'm concerned about not having replacement caps of this quality in the future.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #191 - 10/18/13 at 15:12:01

Welcome as well Mark.

LR, I have been checking for Steve's reply too! I hope I made the cut as well for the Red Mallory's.

Sarah called me yesterday and left a message about the DM945 with the new passive bass stands.  I then went and Listened to them and all the other Speakers last night via the Thread from the Fest Steve sent out.  Thanks for those great comprehensive Threads Steve-wow. Now, I want the NEW ERR instead. First things first. I look forward to my Mystery Amp and what it can do with my Stable of Speakers. Then, the new ERR's need to come in. I might augment them with my HSU MBM 12. I purposely, underutilize this device in my Living Room....where it is sublime. I think the ERR Omni's would thrive out here in the Living Room with it via MA or CKC!

LR, I am with you.....the MA stays for life...and I will work my alchemy to squeeze every last drop out of it for years to come.  My SE84CS & CKC will never leave me either.  Hi-rez, redbook CD.....and Vinyl improvements I will make....will be worth the efforts with these three fine maker's of music I will own.  -S

PS LR, ditto on your Zen Amp. I have owned my SE84CS new, for 12.5 years.  I listen to it, nearly every day. It is so Special...I will not change a thing in it!  I needed/wanted the CKC on its own...for its magic. No one touches my CSelect from 2001.  
Good question from your tech background about the Caps.

PS-I loved hearing the DM945 with the new passive bass stands. But, I think I am falling for the Radial Sound. Plus, I have all front firing in my Stable...time for way less room dependence...with the Omni's.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 10/18/13 at 15:17:06

Oh boy.  I just pulled the trigger as well.  has that been 5 amps yet?

I just heard and felt this big sucking sound from behind me.  oh, that was my wallet.  But I'm smiling.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #193 - 10/18/13 at 15:20:21

hehe SteveC, this will be 3 for me. ....might turn into 4 next fall with the Mk IV.   I blame Lon for all this  ;D.  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #194 - 10/18/13 at 15:35:12

LR, about your skepticism for tweaks.  You should have these concerns.

You are creating a dedicated room for one of your Systems with Acoustic Room Treatments....so that is the place to start.

Me? Powercord, Herbie's Halo's for size of tube, digital isolation, system configured on carpet-on Wood shelves-flat to floor/concrete floor. TripLite equivalent for power isolation, weight on Power Transformer (read: Isolation)....and of course Room Treatment....all make a difference to hear the SE84CS's full potential.
I also use a product from XLO....called TPC...it is a cleaner for all connections...it comes in a sealed package in the form of a wipe...that makes The Perfect Connection.  Also, check your driver's/tighten the screws...they loosen up over the years.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #195 - 10/18/13 at 16:54:57

Quote:
I just heard and felt this big sucking sound from behind me.  oh, that was my wallet.  But I'm smiling.

Yeah, and mine is making the sound of a straw at the bottom of an empty milkshake.  ;D

Ok, I really need to seriously look at isolation and such. I'd like to see what I can DIY between now and Mystery Amp arrival.

I listened to almost all the video's Steve posted, and I too kept coming back to the ERR - so it's looking like I might want a set of those as well...maybe my birthday 2014 - the Mystery amp is tapping me out for a long while.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #196 - 10/23/13 at 03:45:06

ERRx, I want a pair (love the Thread(s) Steve sent out).....need to bring the MA in first.

The wait is going to be hard to bare, for this Amplifier LR!

I posted these words below in the Anedio D2 Thread as well. I have driven my Polk SRS SDA 1.2 Speakers quite well with a PrimaLuna Dialogue Five.....so, no worries with Steve's Topology & 10 times more Musicality coming in with the Mystery Amplifier...to drive them.  

The Anedio D2 continues to impress me. I moved the D2 to the Living Room System. Dynamic, with superb Tonal balance.

I am Listening to it right now with:
Sony DVP-NS57P as Transport (over priced TPorts can stick it-I've tried just about all of them that matter-this little sh_t delivers)
Illuminati D-60 RCA for Digital IC (Redbook)
Anedio D2 DAC
Kimber Hero IC RCA
.....driving my XPA-2 Emotiva Amplifier/Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Kord & Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable.....direct with the D2 preamp....to my Polk SRS SDA 1.2 Speakers.

Very musical for Solid State (where I can actually enjoy it).

I need to order a separate Amp Stand for my pending Mystery Amplifier & 1 meter Kimber 1026 (meaning: pull the XPA-2 out and the Hero out)...replaced by the Mystery Amp with 1026 IC.....with the 8TC to the SDA 1.2's.  I have a feeling it is going to be a winning combination with KT66 Or KT120's!   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #197 - 10/23/13 at 13:12:42

I made the cut!

My Invoice was updated to include the Red Mallory NOS Caps N/C!

Thank you Steve.....and all at Decware.    -Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #198 - 10/23/13 at 13:45:31

I'm happy for ya!

As TP says, the waiting is the hardest part.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #199 - 10/23/13 at 14:18:00

Quote:
I made the cut!

My Invoice was updated to include the Red Mallory NOS Caps N/C!

Oh wow! I didn't catch that, my Invoice says the same!!

High Five  brother Stone!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Send Topic Print