Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1353880 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6900 - 02/13/15 at 22:49:11

Dealing with severe sinus headache that's pretty much ruined my day off work. Finally feeling well enough to spin a few tracks.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6901 - 02/13/15 at 23:00:49

I thought it was an aspirin box or something Mark.  :)
Amazing they`ve taken so long to arrive.
Just finished a good session off with `Nearly God` _ Tricky
Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6902 - 02/13/15 at 23:11:02

Syd, my box has KAKAO in big letters on the front and an odd smell inside.  The front is the same size as a pack of Cigs but deeper...wider on the sides.  There was an internet address printed on it...I went to it but my security put up a warning, so I canceled it.  I wish I could read Russian.

What was your final verdict on these tubes?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6903 - 02/13/15 at 23:36:33

A little bit of electronica with female vocals:
Purity Ring - Another Eternity

Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6904 - 02/14/15 at 00:04:10

Installing Ortofon 2M black in my VPI traveler tonight....then need to decide what to spin first? Hmmmmm......guess it'll depend on my mood at the time! But, am very much looking forward to the upgrade! bought on audiogoN - lightly used.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6905 - 02/14/15 at 00:09:48

Have a rare few early evening hours off and am spinning vinyl, such a joy to hear vinyl, so relaxing. The ZP3 is an amazing machine.

Listening to this. . . wow. . . Ron Carter's bass sounds excellent. I just love Airto and Flora. . . and what a musical journey they have had together!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6906 - 02/14/15 at 00:27:52

I found a clean stereo copy of this, one of my favorite dates, for 3 dollars, which is great because it is in better shape than another pressing I have of this date. Now to find a clean mono, I love the mono more, but my copy is in bad shape. I have a cdr of another mono copy, but a cdr is not an lp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6907 - 02/14/15 at 00:51:47

This now...

Syd,  I'm listening with the  Russian tubes that arrived today.  They sound fantastic.  Tomorrow I'll try a spare Amperex 7308 in the signal position replacing the Stock Russian tube that came with the CSP3.  Below is the ebay listing Syd and I bought.  Alex, the seller, has listed this type of tube multiple times before and after our purchases, if anyone else wants to give them a shot when they pop up again. I think these are essentially 60's triple mica versions of what Steve sends in the new CSP3s.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181586721830

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6908 - 02/14/15 at 01:00:47

Moar indy fold rock with female vocals - seems to be a kick I'm on.
I've got a sneak preview MP3 320 for this soon to be released LP/CD

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6909 - 02/14/15 at 01:23:17

This up next...a reissue from ORG...

I can tell this pair of NOS tubes are winners and will be even better once they have 20, 30 hours on them.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6910 - 02/14/15 at 02:14:34

This 1976 original just Pops...Jaco's bass is deep and well defined.

PS...reading the fine print, I just realized that Bernie Grundman did the mastering on this.  Of course, until this year I had no idea who he was. A very nice job Bernie.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6911 - 02/14/15 at 03:06:22

This speakers corner reissue now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6912 - 02/14/15 at 13:37:21

In the den.  I can't remember the last time I listened to this CD...if ever.  It's a rare quintet date with Bill Evans, recorded in 1976 for the Fantasy label...very, very nice.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6913 - 02/14/15 at 13:58:11

Next, CD one of "The London Sessions" box set.  This Oscar Peterson Trio Live performance in Chicago was recorded just a month or so after the legendary Bill Evan's Trio performances in New York City at the Village Vanguard in June of 1961.  Very different style...very wonderful.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6914 - 02/14/15 at 14:35:25

Another random grab that I'm glad I stumbled into. I don't know anything about it other than I found it while researching the Waxahatchee album above. It's a Various Artists collection with mellow electronica, indie rock, folk rock, and folk electronica. It's a good early morning listen that's mostly well recorded.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6915 - 02/14/15 at 14:59:25

Next,  sticking with the music from 1961 theme...this live performance from Europe has wonderful music but is poorly recorded. This was recorded about two months before Evans' Vanguard Sessions.  Mark.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/buck-clayton-all-stars-1961-mw0000238611

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6916 - 02/14/15 at 16:03:35

Went digging and found this new, unplayed set...CD one is next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6917 - 02/14/15 at 16:10:17

That Basie set is AWESOME.

Right now, a good one, 24 bit Atlantic from Warner Japan.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6918 - 02/14/15 at 18:20:08

The Russian 6n1p-E`s are great Mark. I want another two pairs in the future to try out in the Rachaels.
The photo with the real time spectrum data is cool. Nifty piece of kit.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6919 - 02/14/15 at 18:37:47

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6920 - 02/14/15 at 18:42:47

Syd,  I asked Alex if he had more...he said yes but I didn't ask how many.  He's relisted the same auction, if you or anyone else wants to order some.

Playing CD two from the live Basie set...fantastic!

While I'm at it...is anyone using Russian Power tubes in their Torii MK IV...I'm specifically thinking of ordering some Russian 6L6 types...there seem to be a lot of types...23 volt and 30 volt variants, New and NOS.  Any help from the peanut gallery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAREST-MILITARY-TESTED-PAIR-6N1P-E-boxed-anode-CCa-E...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6921 - 02/14/15 at 19:20:03

couldn`t resist it Smiley

The ZP3 is cookin`

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6922 - 02/14/15 at 19:21:37

I've entered the Listening Cave for some Vinyl with the Russian tubes.  I have put an Amperex 7308 in the front position of the CSP3.  This Art Pepper album is first...the cymbals seem bright.  I'm not sure if it's the 7308 or not...I haven't listened to this LP in a while.  But with the Omegas in the den, sometimes the 7308s can be too hot so I pop in a pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s to cool things down.  Come to think of it, I also have a pair of these 7308s in the Torii...mmmm.  I'll play a little "Miles Smiles" next.  I just listened to it last night and there's a lot of the very busy drum work of Tony Williams on that one.  A solo version of Art playing "Lover Man" is on now...sounds so sweet.  Mark.

PS...Syd, that's a cool graph but I have no idea what it means.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6923 - 02/14/15 at 19:34:10

Nope, with you there but it shows the stuff these tube buffs have on tap.
ps I see his 6n2p is = to 12ax7 kind of brings the signal tubes a bit more closer or relative.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6924 - 02/14/15 at 20:01:03

Started this off on the wrong speed.
12in 45

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6925 - 02/14/15 at 20:27:28

Well, the "Miles Smiles" didn't seem hotter than before I put the 7308 in but my audio memory is very short.  Now some Jarrett.  These Standard recordings by ECM are perfect.  Jack DeJonette's drums are equal in the mix but not hot.  Gary Peacock's Bass is clear, defined and plentiful.  And of course, Jarrett's piano is recorded just right...unlike many Van Gelder Blue Notes.  I think those guys at ECM know what they're doing.  Mark.

PS...Damn...someone's mowing their lawn across the street.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6926 - 02/14/15 at 21:05:51

Next...really liking what I'm hearing...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6927 - 02/14/15 at 22:03:49

Side two of this.  Syd, this is three of the five songs on the "1958 Miles"  LP you mentioned recently.  On May 26th 1958, the "Kind Of Blue" group recorded 4 tunes and one alternate...this album has three of them on side two.  That "1958 Miles" has all 4 but not the alternate take and adds a cut from March with Red Garland in place of Bill Evans. All the cuts are in the Columbia Complete Miles with Coltrane Box set. This is some of the best Miles you'll ever hear.

I think today is as close as I've gotten to "THE" sound I'm looking for.  Just a bit of tweeter attenuation and I may be there. And the tweeter attenuation is really only needed for hot recordings...for example the first song on the Art Pepper LP, a few songs on 'Miles Smiles" but none on Jazz Track, Cat Stevens or keith Jarrett's LP. Mark.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6928 - 02/15/15 at 08:04:04

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6929 - 02/15/15 at 12:57:05

I'm digging more from the Count.  Goes down smooth witth my Hot coffee.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6930 - 02/15/15 at 13:15:58

Cheers Mark, `58 seems a busy year for Miles I`ll have that album soon when I do some serious shopping and not cherry pick from one seller after an initial `target`LP. I`m waiting for a small batch to come through after targetting the `alternate takes` from B. Evans Sunday Vanguard peformances `More From The Vanguard` (M-9125, 68.156)
Those 6n1p-E tubes have a lovely ease of power well suited to the Decware amps.
I heard a drummer on an album I have the other day who really impressed me. I dont do big whackety whack drum runs but this one made it a pleasure. I`ll get back when I figure who it was.
Syd

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6931 - 02/15/15 at 13:51:01

Yup Syd,  1958 was a good year for Miles.  He picked up Bill Evans and had both Coltrane and Cannonball in his group.  That year is when he made quite a splash at the Newport Jazz Festival with this group and he also recorded "Porgy And Bess" with Gil Evans that year.  If you look at his discography at the site I gave you, you can see many more live recordings...most not on Columbia.  I have a CD called " '58 Sessions" that was released in the late 80's that I think has this material...can't find it this morning, although I did find this one...it is mostly the Newport Jazz recordings plus a couple studio tracks, one being "Little Melonae" that's also on that "1958 Miles" LP.  I've set up an ebay search so I can get that LP.  The only reason I bought Jazz Track was for the three studio tracks on side two... I'm not much of a fan of the soundtrack.  For me, having the 11+ minute version of "Love For Sale" by this group on Vinyl will be worth the price of the Japanese LP.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6932 - 02/15/15 at 17:07:19

I wanted to listen to a Chet Baker CD called "Picture of Heath" that has the music from the LP "Playboys" with Art Pepper from the 50's and more but couldn't find it so this is playing...very nice...

PS...Syd, that small box from the Russian Seller originally contained 100 grams of Cocoa Powder.  Thinking about those Russian Triple Mica 60's tubes...I don't know the physics of it but I seem to be a sucker for Triple Mica small tubes.  In My ZP3 I've liked them best in both the 12AU7 and 12AX7 spots.  Currently I'm using a triple mica black plate RCA 5814 and two triple Mica Black Plate Sylviana 5751's...the ones with steel pins not the gray plates with Gold pins.  I have plenty of others and roll tubes about every month or two just to mix things up to keep it fresh.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6933 - 02/15/15 at 18:20:24

This now.  This is Miles while he was looking for a replacement for Coltrane.  Between the time Coltrane left and Wayne Shorter arrived, Miles had many Sax Players.  In this performance we have Hank Mobley doing a fine job.  This concert is also notable not only for the Live Quintet performances but for live performances with an Orchestra Conducted by Gil Evans.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6934 - 02/15/15 at 19:15:23

Mark, triple micas must have something going for them. I`ve got a pair of Sylvania 12ax7`s for the ZP3 but haven`t used them for a while.
Instead I have a Mullard and one of these in no.2 spot. I see it is also t/mica. I`ve just ordered another.
Syd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12AX7-CV4004-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/260561305364?pt=UK_Sound_...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6935 - 02/15/15 at 19:45:41

Well Syd,  I'm not sure what that tube is...sounds like the seller doesn't know either but if you liked the first one, you're not taking much of a monetary risk with a second.  Your ears should always be the judge not the price tag on the tube.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6936 - 02/15/15 at 20:18:40

It`s one of those tubes that doesn`t do anything Mark. Lets the music flow as thay say.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6937 - 02/15/15 at 20:24:01

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6938 - 02/16/15 at 13:08:56

Last night I ordered a few LPs.  In a bit I'll fire up the Monoblocks and begin with this...

1)  Chet Baker's "Picture of Heath" from Pure Pleasure
2)  Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" from Music Matters
3)  Bob Dylan's "Blood On The Tracks" from MFSL

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6939 - 02/16/15 at 14:28:02

Next... I'm thinking about getting the Speakers Corner Vinyl reissue of this...

PS...I'm a little envious when I see a well organized and uncluttered listening room, like Tom's posted by Palomino.  Mine, by comparison, looks like a record store that's been hit by a bomb.  When I contemplate treatments on the walls...I only have a small area on the wall behind the speakers that's even available.  Every other wall space is shelving, windows, open closets or doors.  But on the bright side, when I close my eyes and listen, my space becomes very well organized...I have a good imagination.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6940 - 02/16/15 at 15:51:49

mmmm...some Jarrett "Standards Trio"...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6941 - 02/16/15 at 17:12:11

Now some of Bill Evans' late trio... these tracks were recorded August 31st and September 7th, 1980 at the Keystone Corner in San Francisco...Bill would be dead a week later on September 15th.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6942 - 02/16/15 at 19:04:21

This next...

I just picked up a pair of 1968 Amperex Orange Globe 6922s.  Unfortunately they cost $12 more than they would have if I hadn't accidentally touched the "Touch-pad" entering my bid early, giving the other bidder a chance to enter another higher bid.  I was holding my breath because this mistake could have cost me a lot more.  Still a good deal at $48 including S&H.  I'm not sure where I'll try them.  Mark.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6943 - 02/16/15 at 19:13:05

Biggest impact to my sound was changing Cart from grado gold to ortofon 2m black. These LP's were unlike anything I've heard before. WOW! so glad I upgraded.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6944 - 02/16/15 at 19:22:02

Listening to the 23min "My Favourite Things" side four
nice recording..extended piano solo

Ace, those Genesis albums. They were awesome then.
".............with your guardian eyes so blue..."

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6945 - 02/16/15 at 20:01:56

My room could do with a sort out Mark...tubes all over the floor, albums in different stacks in alphabetical order, then the jazz stack, the `to clean` stack, 12in stack, shoebox of cassettes, piles of cd`s a pile of books. Those groups of cross hatch foam diffusers all over the walls and behind me. Now I`ve got a 6x9` carpet on the wall in front of me. Always the same, turn the amps on and enjoy. lol the main light has no shade. I can turn it off and have a java lamp and another lamp. Nice atmosphere. I do creep up in the daytime once a fortnight for a dust, and ...well move things around   Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6946 - 02/16/15 at 20:31:07

I've fallen behind.  Just finished this and then that...

I've been trying to figure out the codes on my Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's...so far I know they're Holland made because of the delta sign.  I assume they are 50's or early 60's but haven't figured it out yet.  With a magnifying glass and flash light just so...I think I'm reading delta, 4, one or I, 2 or Z. Etched on the bottom of both tubes. My eyes aren't too good. Any Help?

PS...OK,  I think I have it... delta 4 I 2...which means,  Herrlen, Holland made, 1964, September, 2nd week.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6947 - 02/16/15 at 21:36:09

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6948 - 02/16/15 at 21:55:25

CD 2...Vol. 2 of this live Ella...I listened to Vol. 1 last week...

PS...Syd, in my Listening Cave, I have about 6 plastic containers and several card board boxes full of tubes, interconnects, etc, that I keep in the closet but I do keep two small boxes full of my favorite 12AX7 and 12AU7 types and variants for rolling into the ZP3 on the coffee table in front of me.  All floor space, except for a narrow path to the couch, is full of LPs...not alphabetized but I do have one stack of audiophile reissues, one for recent used purchases at HPB&Rs, another two or three for ebay purchases and the rest a disorganized jumble of favorites.  In another room I've got another shelf for new audiophile LPs.  Then many shelves of unloaded LPs, boxes of LPs in the second bedroom and a POD in the driveway. Then  CDs...don't get me started!...hehe.  I think I should be booked for that "Hoarders" program on TV.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6949 - 02/16/15 at 22:52:12

This next...

Dan,  that's OK.  You and Lon can stay over there and discuss your feelings...hehe.  I hope you realize my posts are in jest...no offense meant but people can and do talk about how music moves them here.  I treat this thread as my home, more or less, and do more than just post LP covers if the spirit moves me.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 505
Send Topic Print