05/17/24 at 07:32:08 

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 ... 506
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1411803 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6950 - 02/16/15 at 23:18:11

Thats proper Mark. I`ve actually been outing some albums due to condition. It`s when I look at the dead wax pressing matrix`s of a couple of King Crimson albums that I realise they would`ve been worth a pretty penny in top condition. They even sell in not very good condition which makes no sense. You could be sitting on a small fortune.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6951 - 02/16/15 at 23:33:59

Syd,  there are many people who collect.  For them it's not so much about the sound of the LP, the Music, but rather filling a missing hole in their collection until they can get a better specimen.  That's why I don't care about vintage vinyl if it doesn't sound good.  Mind you,  I started my listening in the era of Vinyl so I don't mind a bit of surface noise but I really like the black, quiet backgrounds of audiophile reissues versus the Old Blue Notes worth hundreds of dollars to some but with lots of snap, crackle and pop.  I don't consider myself a collector but more a hoarder.  I have more music than I can possibly listen to during what remains of my life.  I have forgotten what I have and sometimes when I go digging in boxes, it's like Christmas finding new sealed LPs bought decades ago.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6952 - 02/16/15 at 23:59:32

I have moved to the Listening Cave and have picked some HPB&R purchases. The Vinyl comes out and the volume goes up a few notches.  No Jazz for a while.  Sinatra doesn't count...Right?  Anyway, the other day I posted this but it was actually "Tea For The Tillerman" that I listened to then.  This sounds amazing with the three new/different tubes in the CSP3...it's like I have a new stereo. Intoxicating...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6953 - 02/17/15 at 00:28:52

This LP next.  Frank Sinatra and Nelson Riddle...that was a team that made music history.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6954 - 02/17/15 at 01:17:04

An MFSL reissue of this is on it's way. But for now an original 1974 copy will do nicely...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6955 - 02/17/15 at 03:05:07

These were the last two after my battery went dead on my laptop...That's it for tonight.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6956 - 02/17/15 at 04:58:22

Hey Lon, this one's for you. You've probably seen it in the past, but maybe not recently. Looks like they're having fun with classical music...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/G4nX0Xrn-wo

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6957 - 02/17/15 at 10:46:59

Okay, got a tiny chuckle out of that one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6958 - 02/17/15 at 11:27:05

Oh yes, TubeNube,  I've seen that... reminds me of Jerry Lewis...second two clips. But I really like the first two clips more. Or the last one has them all plus one.  Enjoy,  Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdfZRSOW_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRWbynDGu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDbaikgV-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQM-0kaxgmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0TeLmYk_A

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6959 - 02/17/15 at 15:33:35

And I thought I'd seen it all!  Here's a guy selling empty RCA cardboard tube sleeves for $19 each...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NOS-RCA-12AX7-Tube-Box-Sleeve-50s-60s-/171685149...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6960 - 02/17/15 at 16:10:08

Liking this one more and more. These Channel Classics SACDs sound great.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6961 - 02/18/15 at 16:53:01

This next...This isn't the "Standards Trio" as I would expect to hear but rather all but one tune is composed by Jarrett and as often his tunes are....I find them a bit "Outside" with some of that bluesy feel he is so good at.  Good but not a favorite.

As I said else where, I've put in the pair of 1946 RCA double getter 5R4GYs that arrived in the mail yesterday and have played Billie Holiday's "Body And Soul" and the first three tunes of this Jarrett CD in my Monoblocks with the Zu Audio Souls.

As those who know me here, I don't think I'm very good at conveying what I hear but I'll give it a shot.  Compared to the 50's RCA 5U4G's that I took out...these rectifiers seemed to bring the vocals forward and made the edges of instruments a bit sharper.  The sax on Billie's album was sweet but the trumpet...maybe a little sharp?  Same with the Jarrett CD more well defined and not necessarily too bright but more focused...does that make sense?  I can't say that the difference is large.  I'll keep them in for at least a few weeks to figure them out.  The effect is a pleasant one but different than the slightly warmer 5U4G.  Next I'll pick something with lots of guitar...should really pop...maybe Joni Mitchell.

I think the effect of these 5R4GYs in my other system might be too bright so I'll hold off on a trial there until I've attenuated the tweeters on the HR-1s with some resistors.  Mark.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6962 - 02/18/15 at 17:37:54

2 LP's last nite:

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6963 - 02/18/15 at 17:45:32

This next.  This is a John Zorn set called "Circle Maker".  One CD has a string trio playing his music and the other CD has added percussion and Marc Ribot on Guitar to the group.  With this one, the new rectifier makes things really pop...in a good way.  Love the surf guitar...I know it's not surf guitar but it just reminds me of Dick Dale some how.  Mark

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6964 - 02/18/15 at 18:52:12

OK, I listened to this CD recently so I'm hoping I still have a little "Audio Memory" left.  This may be my favorite Joni Mitchell album.  Again the RCA 5R4GYs present the vocals more forward.  The instruments seem to have more separation...air between ...sharper edges...not sure how to describe it.  A nice effect on Vocals and Guitars.  All this makes me want to try the Phillips and Brimars that Lord Soth spoke of in the past.  Mark.

PS...and on this system at least, with the Souls, the cymbals aren't bright...maybe I should say too bright...Hot.  It's all really a nice pleasant presentation of Music that's a little different than the 5U4Gs. Different not better.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6965 - 02/18/15 at 19:13:34

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6966 - 02/18/15 at 19:33:31

My favorite Little Feat album.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6967 - 02/18/15 at 20:42:25

OK Syd, I'll play that one next.  My favorite is "Waiting For Columbus".  I bought the complete box of the Warner Brothers output but looking at it...the sleeve for their first album is here but the CD itself is not...waahhh.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6968 - 02/18/15 at 20:53:21

Their cover artwork was allways good as well.  

Theres a couple there I haven`t got Mark. The first one and a later one. No theres 5 I dont have. Top left and bottom four. I like Time Loves A Hero best. Good excuse to play some more  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6969 - 02/18/15 at 21:14:02

Sam Morrison "Dune" (East Wind, new cd from Japan)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6970 - 02/18/15 at 21:18:24

Syd,  I'm not sure I've listened to them all...at least not in the last 15 years.  I just had to put this on and fire up "Spanish Moon".  I think the reason I like this live set so much is the Tower of Power Horns, among other things.  By the way, I found that CD I thought was missing.  It was in a player I hadn't used since I bought the Monoblocks and second jolida 100 CDP.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6971 - 02/18/15 at 21:32:56

I listened to "Fat Man in the Bathtub" and decided I'd had enough Little Feat for now.  Time to get Monky.  This live set was recorded at The Five Spot in NYC August 1958.  An album called "Misterioso" on Riverside was also from these sessions...not to be confused with a later Columbia album of the same title...also live Monk.  I'm trying to decide if I want an audiophile version of the Riverside "Misterioso" that's available on Vinyl.  Mark.

PS...Hell yeah, I want Misterioso on Vinyl,  This quartet is amazing and Johnny Griffin is playing like he's from another planet.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6972 - 02/18/15 at 21:54:30

I havent got round to Mr Monk yet Mark.
I think the bottom 4 feat albums are post Lowell George.
This ones better than `T L A Hero`

Praise be, Crimson new album shipped today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6973 - 02/18/15 at 22:36:42

Syd wrote on 02/18/15 at 21:54:30:
I think the bottom 4 feat albums are post Lowell George.

Well, the very last one has all the "extra stuff" that was in the "Hoy! Hoy!" box set and some of these I think feature George. Also the album before the last four, "Down on the Farm" is part George, part the band without George.

You should get a Monk session to try out!

Right now I'm listening to a cd I really like

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6974 - 02/18/15 at 22:51:13

Syd,  you've never heard Monk?  Well, I think people either Love or Hate Monk...or should I say "Don't Get" Monk.  With streaming services you can try some for free. All Monk for me is rated Good, Better or Best. To start I'd stick with the late 50's to mid 60's  Studio Quartet offerings because the playing and recordings are good.  Maybe try "Monk's Dream" or "Straight No Chaser" from his 60's Quartet with Charlie Rouse on Columbia...I recently picked up Impex reissues of both that are superb. Really?  You've never heard Monk?  I'm jealous...you have so much to discover.  Mark.

PS...if you have a CD player, just pick up the Complete studio recordings on Columbia box...see link below. Six Killer albums...dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Albums-Collection-Thelonious-Monk/dp/B007Y2W4BA

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6975 - 02/18/15 at 23:33:56

Mark theres a lot of jazz artists I havent heard. Charlie Mingus is another. I have an Art Pepper 4 album CD and nearly went for his Ronnie Scott marathon on vinyl. I`m just doing some Sonny Rollings after a first buy thumbs up and am waiting for 4 albums in the post.
Kenny Burrell is in with the order and I can see myself.....oh dear theres so much. Yes it is a buzz when you get to hear new artists waiting to be discovered. I`m sure you get the same when you`ve forgotten how an album goes or hear new things thanks to the Decware amps.
Syd...and thanks Lon I`ll keep my eyes open for some Monk...possibly playing with a semi familiar artist I like..so far.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6976 - 02/19/15 at 00:00:20

Syd,  Art Pepper is my favorite alto player.  Those Ronnie Scott sessions are great but I wouldn't spend what they cost.  I've got the 4 CD version with everything...same mastering..for less than $30...see link below.  If you must have vinyl, there were two LPs released from these sessions on Mole Jazz...Blues for the Fisherman and True Blues that can be had for $15 each or less on ebay.  My recommendation is pick up any Galaxy Quartet albums...live or Studio.  Also all his 50's, 60's and 70's albums on Contemporary are great.  I like his late period best which includes those Ronnie Scott sessions from 1980...I think.

Mingus...start with Ah Um on Columbia and "Mingus Mingus Mingus" on Impulse. Too much great Mingus to list. Use the all music guide to help buy only the top rated LPs.  I've noticed you often have bought lower rated albums by some excellent artists.  As a beginner stick with the Highest rated.  Mark.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/artpepper13

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6977 - 02/19/15 at 01:06:28

Back home and settling into CD three of this...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6978 - 02/19/15 at 02:03:00

For Syd...CD #1 of this set.  By the way, I was wrong, the mastering on the Pure Pleasure Vinyl  7 LP edition is by Ray Staff...the CD edition is mastered by Wayne Peet...and the cymbals are a little Hot.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6979 - 02/19/15 at 12:47:24

These three discs are mono, but excellent sound, and what music and performances! Now on disc 3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6980 - 02/19/15 at 16:44:06

MORE CELLO!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6981 - 02/19/15 at 17:04:11

LOL...Love Christopher Walken

IP Logged
fitmartin
Verified Member

Audiophile since
early 70’s

Reply #6982 - 02/19/15 at 17:05:08

More Cowbell! but NOT over the top lol

Caintuck plus 8 alnico speakers and powered 10" subwoofer
many amplifiers
MacBook Pro streaming Tidal HiFi Masters
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6983 - 02/19/15 at 17:40:41

First CD today.  This one sounds great with the RCA 5R4GYs... the guitar and chet's trumpet pop...the Bass well defined and deep.  This rectifier works well with small group jazz provided the cymbals aren't used a lot.  This is a drummerless Trio... Chet's best format.  Mark.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6984 - 02/19/15 at 17:54:30

Mark, I must say I am one that loves Monk! I think this is another nice one (I always get a smile listening how Monk needs to wake up Coltrane during "Well You Needn´t"):

http://www.discogs.com/Thelonious-Monk-Septet-Monks-Music/release/2934997

Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6985 - 02/19/15 at 18:21:20

I know I've got that in the Complete Monk on Riverside Box Set but I've got no idea which box it's in and haven't heard it for 10-15 years.  Someday I'll get motivated and unpack all my CDs and LPs.  I have much of the Riverside material on individual CDs as well. This 20 bit K2 CD with Coltrane from 1957, has two outtakes from the album "Monk's Music" that you site. It will be next up.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6986 - 02/19/15 at 18:40:44

Warming the amps up before..............

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6987 - 02/19/15 at 18:45:27

I know this is not the place, but talking about Monk let me recommend a book... it is called "Monk" by Laurent de Wilde, I think you don´t need to love Monk or even like him to really enjoy it!! Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6988 - 02/19/15 at 18:56:54

Luis, this is the right place! For Book, Music, Tube, Amp,etc...suggestions, comments, or any other Hi Fi/Music topic you want to Riff on.  I have this book and probably 100+ more on Music...Jazz specifically. I read it 10, 15 years ago.  The last music related book I read was this one by Art Pepper's widow, Laurie, after which I read Art's autobiography that she helped him write.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6989 - 02/19/15 at 19:10:57

Quick sound check

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6990 - 02/19/15 at 19:20:41

Oddly enough I am listening to a cd with De Wilde performing on it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6991 - 02/19/15 at 19:29:44

A little Mingus now.  This Live Concert album was recorded in performance at Lincoln Center in 1972 and hosted by the now infamous, Bill Cosby.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6992 - 02/19/15 at 19:39:02

I just picked up some spares of my favorite 12AU7 type tube for the ZP3...the 50's RCA Black Plate, Triple Mica 5814 tube.  Offered $50 for 4 high testing tubes...I had him send the results before my offer.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331330186996

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6993 - 02/19/15 at 19:39:23

Now, one more for the road (going off to my fiancee's after this, I got engaged on Valentine's). I still love this one, just a great recording in all senses of the word. Dylan is so brave to put himself out there like this.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6994 - 02/19/15 at 20:01:12

Lon,  the concept intrigued me so I looked for it on spotify but it's not there.  There were a couple cuts on you tube...on first listen, I'm not a fan but at this stage of Dylan's Life he should do as he pleases.  His fans can follow him or not.  Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1BBubMHzM&list=RDtt1BBubMHzM#t=87

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6995 - 02/19/15 at 20:26:51

200 gm. Not an anti-climax

Dylans lawyers dont let much live stuff out on u-tube

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6996 - 02/19/15 at 20:35:32

Lon,

Congrats on getting engaged...to many happy years of tunes.

JD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6997 - 02/19/15 at 20:38:59

You old smoothie Lon  :)  Congratulations !

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6998 - 02/19/15 at 20:57:22

Syd,  recommend your two favorite King Crimson albums.  I'm not familiar with them but want to listen to some samples on spotify or you tube.  Mark.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6999 - 02/19/15 at 21:02:18

Father John Misty's new one, containing my current favorite tune...Chateau Lobby #4, great lyrics.

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 ... 506
Send Topic Print