Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7000 - 02/19/15 at 21:55:08

mark58 wrote on 02/19/15 at 20:01:12:
Lon,  the concept intrigued me so I looked for it on spotify but it's not there.  There were a couple cuts on you tube...on first listen, I'm not a fan but at this stage of Dylan's Life he should do as he pleases.  His fans can follow him or not.  Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1BBubMHzM&list=RDtt1BBubMHzM#t=87

I hate youtube so I haven't watched it there, and this is such a well-recorded record it needs to be heard on a great stereo from Redbook or vinyl. I think it's fabulous, it's so sincere and so well-thought-out, arranged and performed.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7001 - 02/19/15 at 22:01:24

Marky, JD: thanks. I'm so fortunate to have found Lucy again and won her heart. She was the girlfriend of a coworker when I left for Texas in '80 and hadn't seen her since, though we'd exchanged some correspondence over the years. I always admired her but she was my coworker's girl, you know how that goes. A few years later she and that coworker separated, and a few years later she married someone I have never met. She had a really awful time in the second half of her marriage plus a nasty divorce and was never going to be with anyone again or so she thought before we came back in contact. I was so worn down and sad from caring for my parents and being so isolated here in Ohio, and sad from separating from my gal in Texas the year before who was caring for her mother there, and working her important job and was never going to move to Ohio. When Lucy and I met for dinner nine months and two weeks and two days ago something just happened and we've just grown happier and happier ever since, together. Six months ago I knew I was going to propose and it was just a matter of time. The time came. We'll probably have a long engagement so that I can continue to dedicate my time to my Dad for a while and get him set up closer to Lucy when I move in this summer. I feel so good about this that I thank Providence every day.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7002 - 02/19/15 at 22:16:35

Hey Lon, congrats to you, wishing you and Lucy many years of bliss for sure you deserve it Lon!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7003 - 02/19/15 at 22:28:31

Thanks Hans!

Right now, cooking and waiting for Lucy to come home and listening to this:

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7004 - 02/19/15 at 22:46:14

Lon,  let me add my congratulations...to tell you the truth, I thought you were engaged a long time ago.  Were you referring to Lucy here as your fiance before you asked her?

In regards to the Dylan album...I know you don't like you tube or spotify.  I was saying how I listened to a couple tunes and that I wasn't wild about them.  I find if I don't like something with earbuds with my computer, it doesn't matter how well recorded it is, I won't like it even with my Decware Gear.  Often I do as you do, buy tons of media without listening first, but more and more, if I'm not familiar with the artist or material, I'll check it out for free first.  And don't forget, I love Dylan, just not everything.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7005 - 02/20/15 at 01:15:59

I've entered the Listening Cave and will be spinning some vinyl picked up at HPB&Rs Monday.  Also, after some discussion on the forum about the X Shadow connectors on Steve's DSR cables,  I realized I had a pair going from the CSP3 to my CD Player that I almost never use now a days.  So I put it between the CSP3 and the Torii MK IV.  This first...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7006 - 02/20/15 at 01:47:08

Next this.  It was stuck in with the Jazz but I thought it might sound great with the new tubes in the CSP3.  It does sound nice but I can only take so much Flamenco...one side should be enough.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7007 - 02/20/15 at 02:03:26

Some more fretwork wizardry...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7008 - 02/20/15 at 02:38:20

I'm sure I have this but buying another was much easier than finding my first copy.  This is Live Pat Metheny Group at the end of 1982.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7009 - 02/20/15 at 14:23:10

Cool Mark, I think I might have mentioned Lucy as my fiancee once the week before I asked her. Oddly one of Lucy's sisters mentioned Lucy and I were dating about seven months ago to her mother-in-law who lives in Burton, Ohio, the town my Dad was the minister of the church on the square for 27 years. When I went to visit the church a few months later I discovered that the tin-can telephone had been working all that time and I was told that "it's so great you and Lucy are married." Smiley

Okay, but I just love this Dylan album so much that I can't imagine a Dylan fan not liking it, but guess so. I'm spinning it again right now and it's like taking a chill pill, in a very good way. He really inhabits these old songs.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7010 - 02/20/15 at 16:18:16

Vinyl....

I remember playing Joni in my 56' chevy on the 8 track...really like this LP

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7011 - 02/20/15 at 17:58:34

Ryo Kawasaki, Eight Mile Road (East West)

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7012 - 02/20/15 at 18:00:04

Just ordered Shadows in the Night Lon. The free CD swung it, I can add it to my mums playlist of two ( Diana Krall comp ) when I take her out for a spin.
Actually I`ve got a soft spot for some of the oldies. Not familiar with most of the tracks but it`ll all come flooding back. If we ask Bob nicely he may do a Perry Como album.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7013 - 02/20/15 at 18:02:30

OMG. A Dylan Como album. It really IS the end of the world! Cheesy

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7014 - 02/20/15 at 18:39:41

The first CD today.  A 1957 session with Sonny Rollins on Tenor...

PS...I'd forgotten how good this one is...outstanding.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7015 - 02/20/15 at 19:05:23

Nice !
Wish my S. Rollins albums would turn up.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7016 - 02/20/15 at 19:10:20

That Double LP on RCA with Rollins and Jim Hall is wonderful.  I can't wait to hear what you think of it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7017 - 02/20/15 at 19:24:48

First disc of the 2 cd/2 dvd 40th Anniversary set remixed by Steven Wilson.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7018 - 02/20/15 at 19:34:28

This is a late 70's recording of Keith Jarrett with his European Quartet...one of my favorites.  Sounds wonderful on the monoblocks.  I guess we have to give some credit to the 1946 RCA 5R4GYs but I've never listened to this CD with the Monos before.

PS...Lon, I always look at Jethro Tull LPs at HPB&R but don't buy because I don't own any and I'm not sure which to get...any recommendation for  a first purchase?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7019 - 02/20/15 at 20:06:32

My favorite Tulls are Benefit, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play. The Steven Wilson remixes are revelatory, I recommend tryiing them in that form.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7020 - 02/20/15 at 20:07:57

This CD next.

A pair of Amperex Orange Globe 6922s arrived just now.  Same 1968 date codes and the gold pins look brand spanking new.  The seller said they were probably NOS but sells his tubes as used. The tests were very high and well matched.  I'll try them tomorrow...not sure where.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7021 - 02/20/15 at 20:30:43

Thanks Lon,  first I'll pick up some vintage vinyl then maybe a reissue or two.  I've written down your suggestions and put them in my wallet. Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7022 - 02/20/15 at 20:47:45

Quartets.....that reminds me. Catch up on the Beethoven box set.
I`ll kick of tomorrow with some sides.

This one makes me want to play the Speed Kings boot with the guitar feedback noises.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7023 - 02/20/15 at 21:18:44

Disc 1

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7024 - 02/20/15 at 21:44:59

Lon,  your on a Bob Dylan roll....nice! making me itch to spin a few Dylan LP's tonite.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7025 - 02/20/15 at 22:23:52

Yes, lately I've become interested in both how Dylan interprets the songs of others, and how others interpret Dylan's songs (or in the case of "Lost on the River," how others build songs around his lyrics.)

Plus my fiancee likes Dylan a bit, which is more than I can say of  much of jazz or other music I might play. . . .

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7026 - 02/21/15 at 00:12:50

My wife hates Dylan's voice, Neil Young's as well. Over the last 32 + years they still not have grown on here. But, I did. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7027 - 02/21/15 at 00:50:36

I'm glad you did. Smiley

Back to Dad's and classical music. The late Quartets, this time by Guarnieri Quartet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7028 - 02/21/15 at 01:59:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7029 - 02/21/15 at 13:20:41

OK,  I popped in the new 1968 Orange Globe Amperex 6922s that arrived yesterday into the Mono Blocks. I was hoping they might have toned down the cymbals on this Art Pepper set (CD #2)...they don't.  But I need to remember these tubes likely need some hours on them to show their true colors since I believe they are true NOS.  No tube is going to correct Hot mastering...why do so many reissues do this?  Anyway, the music is phenomenal.

As a more fair trial of the new tubes, after Art, I'll play a promo CD of the 1994 recordings of Keith Jarrett's Standard Trio at the Blue Note...10 tracks of heaven.  Mark.

PS...Syd,  I think you may have missed this earlier post...."Syd,  recommend your two favorite King Crimson albums.  I'm not familiar with them but want to listen to some samples on spotify or you tube."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7030 - 02/21/15 at 13:27:30

I've found the 6922 type to have a hotter high end than some other types. . . .Like you say there's no real curing hot mastering, but often times it's on the source recording too so little can be done other than turn the treble cut circuit down if you have one. (And I bet that one could be added to those mono blocks if sent back to Steve, maybe not, but he told me off the cuff at one point a few years ago one could be added to all amps. . . though now not the ZMA.)

Won't help in your mono blocks, but here at Dad's I swapped Gold Lion KT66 for TAD 6L6 (both sets cryo'd) just to remember how those sound. The 6L6 give a very classic tube sound, dark and rich, and I can crank the treble cut circuit control up higher with no fatigue. . . . So maybe when you feel the need for few output tubes in the Torii you could try those, or maybe I could send the quad to you to test out one of these days.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7031 - 02/21/15 at 13:41:57

Lon,  I've actually been thinking about trying the 6L6 type output tube in the Torii.  I've done some reading and looked into some cheaper Russian versions...I'll look at those you bought...how much did they cost?  Since I have three quads of the RFT EL-34s, I'm trying to "fix" the high end with resistors in the HR-1s...they haven't come yet.  

In the monoblocks with the Zu Audio Souls, the warmest speakers I own, and Amperex 7308's, I have only very rare issues with cymbals.  When I listen with the Omega Alnico speakers, I use a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s that do warm up the sound on the inherently brighter high end of these speakers.  I was hoping the 6922s would fall somewhere in between.  When the cymbals aren't playing, the mastering is fine on this Pepper set. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7032 - 02/21/15 at 13:57:54

These are the tubes you have from cyoset...right...$120 per quad.  Non-cryoed versions are going for about $20 less per quad.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380186183498?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7033 - 02/21/15 at 14:07:13

No, actually I am using the "GE type":

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=352&osCs...

When I was researching these something someone said made me consider them over the other type, can't remember now what that was!

They give a dark, almost sullen sound in comparison to the KT66 types, sort of an E34L type of sound but a bit thicker and more reticent on the top than may of those. I like them a bit more in the Mk II than the Mk III, I got bored with them in the Mk III before but I had a different tube complement in at that time. So we'll see.

The overall sound scape is a bit more closed in and less big and open with this tube type but that works well at Dad's with a lot of chamber music played.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7034 - 02/21/15 at 14:48:44

Yes Mark I missed your post. The most revered is "In The Court Of The Crimson King" then " In The Wake Of Poseidon" " Lizzard" is quirky, "Islands" can be a Kleenex box job if you let yourself go. I love "Larks Tongues In Aspic" it`s majestic. Then theres " Starless" another great, and the title track is pure Crimson. Thats the classic period.
"Red" is good. "Discipline" I`m not sure, I know I`ve heard it years ago but cant remember it.
You can be jealous of me not hearing a lot of the jazz giants, you`re in for treat.
Syd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7035 - 02/21/15 at 15:01:13

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7036 - 02/21/15 at 15:07:40

Thanks,  I'll look for any of the first half dozen releases from 1969 to 1974 on CD or vinyl and go from there...maybe listen to some on you tube or spotify if I can pull myself away from my glorious Decware Gear...not today.  There's a pretty detailed wiki page I'll explore later...below.  Mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Crimson

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7037 - 02/21/15 at 15:38:32

This next.  It still seems the 6922's are hotter than my 7308's also Amperex...should this be? or maybe just lack of break in?  Makes me wonder why I mess with something that ain't broke?  Mark

PS...listening to this album, I just think...how could someone not own this music...wonderful...even though it's edited performances.  I've got the full length on vinyl.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7038 - 02/21/15 at 16:59:30

Mark, I'm going to backpedal a bit on these 6L6. They had not been used in months and now that they have about 20 hours on them they've opened up. They really don't have that much cooler a treble than the other tubes. They do have a more "tight" soundstage overall, sounding more like an lp two channel experience than a CD if that makes sense mix-wise.

Nice, I'm keeping them in for a spell, but not the improver of treble response I thought it was earlier today.

Heading off to Chardon through a snowstorm and away from the computer for a while Happy listening!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7039 - 02/21/15 at 20:44:24

You can add the new live Crimson to the list Mark, it`s good.

Complete mood change.
No less a big sound. Incredible stuff.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7040 - 02/22/15 at 00:57:36

Back home for the night and have decided to stay in the den with the Monoblocks to break in the new tubes.  I've listened to this CD a few times this month...so good!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7041 - 02/22/15 at 01:45:21

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7042 - 02/22/15 at 02:39:22

Next...superb.

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #7043 - 02/22/15 at 03:38:14

Listening to Joshua Redman / Joshua Redman -- great music.

5140V5651gL__SY400_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7044 - 02/22/15 at 03:38:23

This will probably be the last CD today.  The NOS Amperex Orange Globe 6922s seem to have settled down...the high end doesn't seem as harsh as this morning when I began using them.  I'll play another CD from the Hot Art Pepper set in the morning to see...

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7045 - 02/22/15 at 09:57:05

Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor

fantastic arrangements by Robbie Shakespeare, superb singing, great songs, sound is tops...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7046 - 02/22/15 at 10:44:05

50th anniv of "A Love Supreme" this month.

back up CD player. An ancient Technics MASH. We soldier on.  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7047 - 02/22/15 at 13:55:03

This morning I listened to the third CD of the Art Pepper Set and indeed the New Amperex 6922s seem to have relaxed a bit...not as harsh on the high end.  I think they would/will be even better with the RCA 5U4G recifiers instead of the RCA 5R4GYs.  Are the 6922's better than the 7308s...No.

This CD now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7048 - 02/22/15 at 17:42:08

OK,  Back to the Music.  Now in the Listening Cave.  This Dylan was my first...a gift on Cassette when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  It's always been a favorite.  This is a recent original vinyl purchase.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7049 - 02/22/15 at 18:25:26

Next LP...

I have been reading the owners manual for the Torii MK IV because I wanted to try some of the adjustments.  I hadn't used the reconstructive feedback but with the second side of Dylan it seemed to make things more complex, like there was more information presented.  On the "Kind of Blue" Record Store Day Mono edition, it was too much, I turned it off.  Also those Hot cymbals are back.  I think I need to find a warmer input tube for the CSP3 than the Amperex 7308.

What is reconstructive feedback supposed to do sound-wise?  Anyone else explored this switch on the Torii MK IV?  Will, I know you did.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 ... 506
Send Topic Print