Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6801 - 02/01/15 at 17:49:29

anthem wrote on 01/31/15 at 22:00:22:
Hey Lon...thanks for the Jackie McLean/ Swing Swang Swingin' post...just placed my order on amazon.

Cool. Interesting session!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6802 - 02/01/15 at 19:40:18

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6803 - 02/01/15 at 19:58:40

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6804 - 02/02/15 at 13:16:43

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6805 - 02/02/15 at 15:52:11

Nice Weekend LP...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6806 - 02/02/15 at 16:46:40

Great sounding SACD

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6807 - 02/02/15 at 18:55:46

This LP blew me away....1st time I've listened to it since ZP3 purchase. And ZP3 made it a WOW listen!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6808 - 02/02/15 at 20:05:53

Not the Chess label but Rolling Stone. 1971 A1/B2 mint, and it is, like brand new, cant believe it was £20.
Interesting, theres a lot going on to take in on first listen. The ZP3 loves the big punchy bass.

The Double Diamond ad reminds me the `70`s wasn`t a good time for beer in pubs. Nowadays most pubs have a real ale tap or three.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6809 - 02/02/15 at 20:18:23

Ace-Tone wrote on 02/02/15 at 18:55:46:
This LP blew me away....1st time I've listened to it since ZP3 purchase. And ZP3 made it a WOW listen!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Yes-close.jpg

Amazing phono preamp, isn't it? Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6810 - 02/02/15 at 20:21:00

Syd wrote on 02/02/15 at 20:05:53:
Not the Chess label but Rolling Stone. 1971 A1/B2 mint, and it is, like brand new, cant believe it was £20.
Interesting, theres a lot going on to take in on first listen. The ZP3 loves the big punchy bass.

http://cdn.discogs.com/DlYh0_kQr8rNFrLjK21Oqq0Mfng=/fit-in/600x590/filters:strip...

The Double Diamond ad reminds me the `70`s wasn`t a good time for beer in pubs. Nowadays most pubs have a real ale tap or three.

With a real aie you can have a real Wang Dang Doodle. Smiley Love Clapton's sound on this on this one.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6811 - 02/02/15 at 21:14:39

Real ale really hits the back of your neck Lon.  :)
The first good quench and......oh yeah.
Eric will sound better next listen, I know he will. His guitar pans around as well. Sometimes two bass players and if thats Hubert Sumlin then he`s playing second lead or not strumming rythym.
I allways take snapshots first listen. Then theres H. Wolf and listening to him ( for the first time really ) and getting into the atmosphere. The recording is wide, deep and clear and dynamic. More rock/blues than the M. Waters L. Sessions which are kind of laid back.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6812 - 02/02/15 at 21:26:19

That's more the difference between Muddy and Howlin' Wolf. Two distinct personalities!

I don't know much about alcohol, never been something I pursued deeply. I know the blues though, and really I prefer both Muddy and Howlin' in Chess studios with their bands, but these are fun sessions. I didn't really pay attention til today that there were extensive overdubs done in Chicago, hence the second bass of Phil Upchurch and Winwood was recorded in Chicago, not London. And Sumlin is definitely there, Clapton I think learned a lot from him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_London_Howlin'_Wolf_Sessions

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6813 - 02/02/15 at 22:33:51

The SHM-CD

The music on this hasn't gotten any better (I've always felt pretty lukewarm about it) but the sound is really good on this cd. There are piano chord clusters that are undampened and sound very real on this one. And Art Taylor's drums really snap.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6814 - 02/02/15 at 22:37:18

This is a RVG remaster and it turns out he could record piano after all...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6815 - 02/02/15 at 22:39:31

I've never gotten the complaints about RVG's piano recording. He used the same piano for decades and all those different pianists sounded individually distinct. . . that's skill right there. And I could always hear what the piano sounded like. To me it sounds a lot like it does when you're at the bench or near the piano, which as someone who likes to play piano is a familiar and nice sound.

Anyway, Red Garland! That Texan had a nice career.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6816 - 02/02/15 at 22:58:32

Amen to that Lon....I never knew what I was missing till the ZP3. Once I get to 200+ hours on her I'm going to start a ZP3 Diaries forum giving my comments from day one.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6817 - 02/02/15 at 23:09:58

Yes Lon keyboards pop up in abundance Stu Stewart, Stevie Winwood et all.

On another note I been watching an auction go down
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/webuyvintagerecords/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3Anull%3AME...
First batch has gone and I picked up Sonny Rollings a night at the village vanguard ( mint DMM cut ) for £10.50. You`re probably familiar with all these. I fancied Booker Ervin Space book ? but the price went steep as did his album with the big eye on it.

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #6818 - 02/02/15 at 23:34:33

You don't know what love is - Sonny Rollins: http://youtu.be/tLFlJIqiMLc

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6819 - 02/02/15 at 23:50:03

Syd wrote on 02/02/15 at 23:09:58:
Yes Lon keyboards pop up in abundance Stu Stuart, Stevie Winward et all.

On another note I been watching an auction go down
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/webuyvintagerecords/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3Anull%3AME...
First batch has gone and I picked up Sonny Rollings a night at the village vanguard ( mint DMM cut ) for £10.50. You`re probably familiar with all these. I fancied Booker Ervin Space book ? but the price went steep as did his album with the big eye on it.

All that is good music, I have all but four of those lps on cd and a few lps. I'm only buying LPs now of material that I don't have already. That has really helped me not spend money on lps!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6820 - 02/03/15 at 00:47:40

Hi Lon…I appreciate your perspective regarding RVG piano recordings.   I have a slightly different POV.  Growing up listening to a stand up piano in my living room, RVG pianos usually sound slightly unnatural to me.  He may have recorded the same piano over and over again, but it doesn't mean he recorded it well...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6821 - 02/03/15 at 00:59:18

Well, I have played a lot of stand up pianos. They sound a lot different than the grand piano that RVG used in his studio! The sound of a stand up . . with those strings right level with your head. . . very different than the sound of the big harp lying in front of you on a grand piano.

In my twenties and thirties whenever I could have access to a piano and be alone I fooled around on one. Sometimes these were baby grands, sometimes stand ups, sometimes grand pianos. My grandmother had an excellent old stand up, and the church my Dad had for twenty seven years had a grand piano in a reception room that was a joy to play and fill up that room, and also a nice stand up in the sanctuary. In Austin I used to go to the Music Building at the University of Texas and visit the floor where they had a dozen baby grand pianos in small rehearsal rooms. I had so many interesting hours in those rooms making sounds.

So yeah, RVG's piano doesn't sound at all like a stand up piano to me, but it shouldn't, it isn't one, and they are different than grand pianos in sound and would also be recorded differently. RVG recorded his piano closely for the most part. . . . A more common method is to record a bit further from the piano and catch some of the bloom of the sound. So to me RVG's sound is closer to that one hears at the piano or near it, and this is also how he recorded his horns, so it evens out those key signatures in the recording.

Anyway, it's all a matter of taste. I really do like the sound of pianos by other engineers who capture the sound of the bloom in the room as well, as you would experience as a listener in the audience. But as someone who likes to sit at a piano I like that perspective that I sense from RVG's recording methods. Others may not and that's cool, but it's not to my ears "an unnatural sound" for a grand piano, especially from the bench.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6822 - 02/03/15 at 01:28:05

Lon…My sense is that RVG close miked his piano's because he wanted them to sound like the percussive instruments that they are.   And I appreciate that.   Artistic intent is a beautiful thing, and I don't slight him for that.  I have heard grand pianos, baby grands and upright pianos and they don't sound like what RVG recorded.  My preference is to hear a bit of the room with a piano, but that is my perspective.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6823 - 02/03/15 at 01:34:31

I don't disagree, I like to hear the piano both ways, I just think RVG's pianos do sound like pianos, they don't sound like they do if you're sitting in the middle of the audience I grant you that, but they sound like a piano if you are there on the bench or on the stage. They sound the way real pianos do from my personal experience and usual vantage point.

In general I think that is what RVG does, with a small group he makes the music sound as if you were inside it, as if you were a member of the band or at a table right in front of the stage. As someone who spent a bit of time in those situations in rehearsals and the rare performances and while recording bands I was in, he makes the music speak to me in a way that many other engineers don't. But not everyone has this viewpoint, I certainly know and understand that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6824 - 02/03/15 at 13:23:37

Back to this one
Great sounding SACD
Great music too

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6825 - 02/03/15 at 15:13:25

Another killer SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6826 - 02/03/15 at 16:32:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6827 - 02/03/15 at 18:17:01

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6828 - 02/03/15 at 18:22:09

Cool So. Calif Band...they rock old school! - in tradition of Zeppelin to Bonnamossa

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6829 - 02/03/15 at 18:58:31

Very cool.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6830 - 02/04/15 at 17:12:09

Nice.....

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6831 - 02/04/15 at 18:56:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6832 - 02/04/15 at 20:22:11

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6833 - 02/05/15 at 00:57:05

Forgot how good this one is.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6834 - 02/05/15 at 02:40:02

This SHM-CD may be the one of all I have from the series offering the most improved sound, well, that's hard to say as there are many with improved sound, but this one really sounds great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6835 - 02/05/15 at 14:08:18

Interesting music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6836 - 02/05/15 at 15:43:21

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6837 - 02/05/15 at 16:31:16

Nice.

0f9c2ed8cc4f40323fc0955a91462006.jpg

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6838 - 02/05/15 at 17:30:30

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6839 - 02/05/15 at 17:42:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6840 - 02/06/15 at 15:57:03

The new Dylan release made me think of this one that I hadn't played in too long. Love Tea, and this one is just such a great easy listen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6841 - 02/06/15 at 19:38:38

I was hoping this SHM-CD would be more improved than it is compared to the earlier US cd, but it's still great music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6842 - 02/06/15 at 23:13:41

Latest Japanese cd of this one, sound is very good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6843 - 02/07/15 at 11:09:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6844 - 02/07/15 at 13:20:02

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6845 - 02/07/15 at 14:06:26

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6846 - 02/07/15 at 15:29:05

I like this one the more I play it. Lovely.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6847 - 02/07/15 at 16:02:39

String tone detail!

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #6848 - 02/07/15 at 22:23:03

Listening to Kenny Drew/Undercurrent (1960) fabulous, just fabulous.Groovin' The Blues (2007 Digital Remaster): http://youtu.be/ggQMgQQISf8

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6849 - 02/08/15 at 19:13:42

Listening to this...

Lon,  I see you're online.  The resistors you use with the HR-1's...are they on the red or black terminals?  Right or left?  Also what watt value is your resistor?  I know it's 20 ohms...what other values did you try?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 ... 506
Send Topic Print