It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22100 - 08/22/22 at 17:09:46

WOW!
Edited:
Afrofuturism pioneers The Pyramids,

https://youtu.be/HHt717NmKWI Lo-Fi 480p

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22101 - 08/22/22 at 17:31:50

https://youtu.be/KTQlhXij66g Lo-Fi 480p

The Last Poets

Studio album by The Last Poets
Released      June 1970

Spoken wordjazzpoetrypolitical rapproto-hip hop

The Last Poets is the debut studio album by spoken word recording artists
It spawned a single, "On the Subway", which was sampled by Digable Planets for their 1992 song "Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)". The songs from The Last Poets were used by various hip hop musicians, including N.W.A, Notorious B.I.G. and Brand Nubian.The track "Wake Up, Niggers" is featured on the soundtrack album to the film Performance, also released in 1970.

Robert Christgau wrote of the group and the album in his 1970 column for The Village Voice:

"A few weeks ago I saw an incredible performance at the Apollo by a group comprising two shouting poets and an Afro-percussionist, the first time I'd ever really dug on the 'jazz poetry' idea. The recorded version, on Douglas, is a hot seller (over 350,000) and highly recommended; acerbic and exciting and as politically uncompromising as anything ever recorded. Name of group and record: The Last Poets. Frightening and beautiful

"Run, Nigger" (Abiodun Oyewole)
   "On the Subway" (Alafía Pudím)
   "Niggers Are Scared of Revolution" (Omar Ben Hassen)
   "Black Thighs" (Hassen)
   "Gashman" (Oyewole)
   "Wake Up, Niggers" (Pudim)
   "New York, New York" (Oyewole)
   "Jones Comin' Down" (Pudim)
   "Just Because" (Oyewole)
   "Black Wish" (Hassen)
   "When the Revolution Comes" (Hassen)
   "Two Little Boys" (Oyewole)
   "Surprises" (Jalaluddin Mansur Nuriddin_,Pudim)

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #22102 - 08/22/22 at 18:11:48

Quote:
When I was working in a record store I was befriended by a lieutenant in the black panthers

again, one huge WTF  

Hey BJLo-Fi, care to explain this?

Brad

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #22103 - 08/22/22 at 23:15:42

yeah I’m writing a book. actually it’s more like a collection of notes.

I edited my post. I’ll leave it at this: the story is very disturbing.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #22104 - 08/22/22 at 23:37:11

I'm on Brad's side.

This is where freedom of speech comes in to play. Unfortunately, the first amendment doesn't take into account naivete and lack of education.

Rock on!

(My apologies to the Decware watchdog for not abiding by the "no discourse on social concerns outside of audio" rule...tfb)

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22105 - 08/22/22 at 23:46:28

there are now sides?

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #22106 - 08/23/22 at 00:07:54

My bad, Bicycle,

I should've said, "I agree with Brad." Does that feel safer for you?

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #22107 - 08/23/22 at 01:35:11

Hear ye, hear ye....  all friends, past present and future must be approved by the forum gestapo!

Give me a break.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22108 - 08/23/22 at 06:45:33

https://youtu.be/3Z8jCeCj0gQ Lo-Fi 480p
Edited:
My bad, Bicycle,
I should've said, "I agree with Brad." Does that feel safer for you?

SAFE AS MILK HUCKLEBERRY

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
Cretin Hop
Rocket To Russia
Johnny, Dee Dee, Tommy, Joey Ramone * Rocket to Russia

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22109 - 08/23/22 at 12:39:41

https://youtu.be/xXotKGLrNLI HD 1080p
SAFE As Milk * Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band

Safe as Milk is the debut studio album by American music group Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, released in June 1967 by Buddah Records. A heavily blues-influenced work, the album features a 20-year-old Ry Cooder, who played guitar and wrote some of the arrangements.

The album is heavily influenced by the Delta blues, and this is apparent from the opening bars of the first track, "Sure 'Nuff 'n Yes I Do", based on Muddy Waters' "Rollin' and Tumblin'". The opening lyric, "Well I was born in the desert ...", quotes "New Minglewood Blues" by Cannon's Jug Stompers, an early version of "Rollin' and Tumblin". Elsewhere, the album features a version of Robert Pete Williams' "Grown So Ugly" arranged by Cooder.

Another of the more distinctive songs on the album is "Abba Zaba", one of three compositions credited solely to Beefheart using his real name. An AllMusic review of the track states, "Although not directly blues influenced 'Abba Zaba' contains peripheral elements of the wiry delta sound that informed much of the album", noting that Cooder's influence is heard here in the "chiming, intricate guitar lines" and "up front and biting bass work". The track is named after the Abba-Zaba candy bar, which was supposedly a favorite of the young Beefheart. The band had, at one point, planned to name the album after the confection, but the bar's manufacturer, the Cardinet Candy Co., refused permission for use of the name, and the album was retitled. The black and yellow checkerboard pattern on the album's back sleeve, designed by Tom Wilkes, is a relic of this idea—echoing the black and yellow colors of the candy bar wrapper. Writing an obituary for Beefheart in 2010, for The Washington Post, Matt Schudel said:

"Mr. Van Vliet's lyrics and song titles owed a great deal to surreal poetry. Try as they might, his fans had a difficult time analyzing such lines as these from "Abba Zabba" on the 1966 album Safe as Milk:

"Mother say son, she say son, you can't lose, with the stuff you use
Abba Zabba go-zoom Babbette baboon
Run, run, monsoon, Indian dream, tiger moon."

The debut album from Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band remains one of the most highly-rated of his career, and for good reason; it's simply some of the best blues-based psych rock ever to emerge from the American 1960s. This is transferred from a stereo promotional copy of the original LP.

1) Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes, I Do – 00:00
2) Zig Zag Wanderer – 02:16
3) Call On Me – 04:54
4) Dropout Boogie – 07:31
5) I'm Glad – 10:02
6) Electricity – 13:31
//
7) Yellow Brick Road – 16:39
8) Abba Zaba – 19:04
9) Plastic Factory – 21:47
10) Where There's Woman – 24:53
11) Grown So Ugly – 27:02
12) Autumn's Child – 29:28

DOWNLOAD in hi-res 96kHz / 24bit FLAC: https://upvhq.blogspot.com/2021/01/ca...

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22110 - 08/23/22 at 12:50:00

https://youtu.be/YGMasdzlJ9A HD 1080
I'm Your HUCKLEBERRY
Lofi Remix / 'I'm Your Huckleberry'

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22111 - 08/23/22 at 13:12:00

https://youtu.be/jgb1eh1n3ng  Lo-Fi 480p

Special Collectors Edition

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22112 - 08/23/22 at 13:53:16

https://youtu.be/_zgoiOjjFGc HD 1080p
Never Mind The Bollocks
Here's the Sex Pistols

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols is the only studio album by English punk rock band the Sex Pistols.

The album has influenced many bands and musicians, and the industry in general. In particular, the album's raw energy, and Johnny Rotten's sneering delivery and "half-singing", are often considered game-changing. It is frequently listed as the most influential punk album, and one of the greatest and most important albums of all time.

Tracklist
[00:00] 01. Holidays In The Sun
[03:22] 02. Bodies
[06:25] 03. Liar
[09:16] 04. No Feelings
[11:58] 05. God Save The Queen
[15:18] 06. Problems
[19:29] 07. Seventeen
[21:32] 08. Anarchy In The U.K.
[25:04] 09. Submission
[29:17] 10. Pretty Vacant
[32:34] 11. New York
[35:39] 12. E.M.I.

The band's internal relationships were always volatile, and the lineup saw changes during the recording of the album. Original bass guitarist Glen Matlock left the band early in the recording process, and while he is credited as a co-writer on all but two of the tracks, he only performed bass and backing vocals on one track, "Anarchy in the U.K." Recording sessions continued with a new bass player, Sid Vicious, who is credited on two of the songs written by the band after he joined. While Vicious's bass playing appeared on two tracks, his lack of skill on the instrument meant that many of the tracks were recorded with guitarist Steve Jones playing bass instead. Drummer Paul Cook, Jones and singer Rotten appear on every track. The various recording sessions were led alternately by Chris Thomas or Bill Price, and sometimes both together, but as the songs on the final albums often combined mixes from different sessions, or were poorly documented who was present in the recording booth at the time, each song is jointly credited to both producers.

By the time of its release, the Sex Pistols were already controversial, having spoken profanity on live TV, been fired from two record labels, and been banned from playing live in some parts of Britain. The album title added to that controversy, with some people finding the word "bollocks" offensive. Many record stores refused to carry it and some record charts refused to list its title, showing just a blank space instead.

Due in part to its notoriety, and in spite of many sales bans at major retailers, the album debuted at number one on the UK Album Charts. It achieved advance orders of 125,000 copies after a week of its release and went gold only a few weeks later, on 17 November. It remained a best-seller for nearly a year, spending 48 weeks in the top 75.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #22113 - 08/23/22 at 13:57:37

For some reason the music sounds extra delightful this morning, even exceptional.

Listen to the playlist Eikon Audio 2020 by Jerry on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/2721083

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #22114 - 08/23/22 at 14:50:31

Classic tracks from a classic band.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #22115 - 08/23/22 at 15:24:44

I am often impressed with the range of music appreciation by members of the Decware community,  but BJ's going from Donny Osmond to the Sex Pistols has to be some sort of a record. Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22116 - 08/23/22 at 15:27:55

Quote:
I am often impressed with the range of music appreciation by members of the Decware community,  but BJ's going from Donny Osmond to the Sex Pistols has to be some sort of a record. Smiley

Click on the Donny Osmond, give it 10 seconds

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22117 - 08/23/22 at 15:41:30

This one again. I had a mishap because I changed the voltage regulator tubes for the input tubes in the Monoblocks from a 0B2 type to a 75C1 type but got no sound from one of the amps. So I took it apart. . .looks like one of the 200ma fuses was possibly blown, replaced it. . . not the problem. . . checked all connections, moved the input cable from the other amp to this one, still no sound. Finally guessed it might be a bad 75C1 tube and turns out it was. Took the top plate off both amps and now using a pair of Amperex 0A2 tubes that sound very good. . . ordered another pair of the 75C! from Europe.

Played this one again

Bill Evans "Montreux Concert II" CTI RVG UHQCD King Records Japan

Followed by
George Benson "Carnegie Hall Concert" CTI RVG UHQCD King Records Japan

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22118 - 08/23/22 at 16:12:24

"Tania Maria & Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen"

Another lovely bass and Tania duet album, this time with the extraordinary NHOP. Two masters at play. . . and it does seem playful.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22119 - 08/23/22 at 16:45:10

My ZP3 will be stock with a OA3, what are the different nuances the OA2 and VR75 C1 offer compared to the stock voltage regulator OA3?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22120 - 08/23/22 at 16:47:44

Those are not tubes that are used in the ZP3. . . . They are used in the Toriis and in my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks (though not all of those in the field have them I believe). These use a miniature pinout and not the same as the rectifiers or 0A3, 0B3, 0C3 or 0D3.

A 0A2

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22121 - 08/23/22 at 16:50:02

ZP3 takes the VR75 and OA3 right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22122 - 08/23/22 at 16:54:08

Yes, those are actually just two designations for the same tube type. You can also use 0B3--I used that in my ZP3 when I had it. I am pretty sure you can also use 0C3 and 0D3, I also tried the latter.

Each of these have a different voltage output, with "A" being the highest and "D" the lowest, and this will influence the sound in subtle ways and really the rest of your tube complement will help to determine just how. (In the "0*2" series it is the opposite I believe: C is the highest voltage output and A the lowest.)

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22123 - 08/23/22 at 18:35:03

Lon you are correct the voltage goes up so OA3= V75 then it goes up

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/137/0/0B3.pdf

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22124 - 08/23/22 at 19:03:49

Kirk Lightsey Trio with Freddie Hubbard "Temptation" Timeless Records/Solid Records Japan 2022, 2 cd set, disc 1

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22125 - 08/23/22 at 21:26:50

https://youtu.be/DW98jKsnzBc Lo-Fi 720p

In Honor Of Keith Moon's birth here is "Two Sides of the Moon", the debut and Moonie's only solo album. Rather than using the album as a chance to showcase his legendary drumming skill, Keith Moon chose to sing lead vocals on all the tracks, and choose to play drums only on three of the tracks ("Crazy like a Fox", "The Kids Are Alright" and "Move Over Ms. L"), although he does plays percussion on "Don't Worry Baby". The album features contributions from Ringo Starr, Harry Nilsson, David Bowie, Joe Walsh of The Eagles, Jim Keltner, Bobby Keys, Klaus Voorman, John Sebastian, Flo & Eddie (Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan of The Turtles), Spencer Davis, Dick Dale, Suzi Quatro's sister Patti Quatro and future actor Miguel Ferrer.

Moon was inspired to release a solo album after bandmate John Entwistle had released Smash Your Head Against the Wall (with Moon playing percussion and singing backing vocals) and Whistle Rymes (also with Moon), and Roger Daltrey released his hit album Daltrey. With Pete Townshend soon to do his own solo album, Moon decided to make one as well. Moon, a big fan of The Beach Boys-style surf rock, decided to make a cover album with help from Ringo Starr of The Beatles.

Originally recorded for his own album, but not released on it, John Lennon gave Moon the track "Move Over Ms. L" and later did his own version.

Side one
"Crazy Like a Fox" (Al Staehely) – 2:07
"Solid Gold" (Nickey Barclay) – 2:48
"Don't Worry Baby" (Brian Wilson, Roger Christian) – 3:31
"One Night Stand" (Dennis Larden) – 3:36
"The Kids Are Alright" (Pete Townshend) – 3:03
Side two
"Move Over Ms. L" (John Lennon) – 3:10
"Teen Age Idol" (Jack Lewis) – 2:20
"Back Door Sally" (John Marascalco) – 2:31
"In My Life" (Lennon-McCartney) – 2:43
"Together" (Harry Nilsson, Keith Moon, Richard Starkey) – 3:05

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22126 - 08/23/22 at 21:47:46

https://youtu.be/Wm0uOgh-Ttk?t=815 Lowest Fi Fi Fum 240p

John Entwistle ~ Smash Your Head Against The Wall (1971)

Smash Your Head Against the Wall is the debut solo studio album by English musician John Entwistle, released in May 1971 by Track Records in the UK and Decca Records in the US. Smash Your Head Against the Wall was the first solo album by any member of rock band the Who, born out of Entwistle's frustrations within the band, namely not having as many of his songs featured on their albums as he would've liked, and it features a guest appearance by the Who's drummer Keith Moon on one track ("No. 29 (External Youth)"), as well as strong musical influences from the band's work.

Entwistle self-produced the album and it was recorded at Trident Studios in Soho, London over 2 weeks, with a young Roy Thomas Baker engineering.

Side one
"My Size" – 3:43
"Pick Me Up (Big Chicken)" – 3:43
"What Are We Doing Here?" – 3:49
"What Kind of People Are They?" – 2:44
"Heaven and Hell" – 4:50

Side two
"Ted End" – 2:33
"You're Mine" – 4:39
"No. 29 (External Youth)" – 5:25
"I Believe in Everything" – 3:07

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22127 - 08/24/22 at 08:25:41

Your living in your own private Idaho.
https://youtu.be/822lN9zwvSA HD 1080

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22128 - 08/24/22 at 13:42:32

https://youtu.be/FX9CAf2hyrU HD 1080p
Gimme Some Truth -Generation X

HERE  IS  THE  ORIGINAL  VERSION  OF  "GIMME  SOME  TRUTH"  THAT  WAS  FEATURED  ON  THE  AMERICAN  RELEASED  VERSION  OF  THE  DEBUT  ALBUM AND 45 SINGLE TITLED  "GENERATION  X"  RELEASED  IN  1978  IN  THE  U.S.A.
THIS  IS  NOT  THE  REMASTERED WEAK VERSION THAT IS READILY AVAILABLE.
THIS VERSION IS VERY HARD TO FIND

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22129 - 08/24/22 at 13:55:31

Continuing my second time through this very interesting box set. Disc 5.

Nucleus & Ian Carr "Torrid Zone, The Vertigo Recordings 1970-1975"

These discs are each an experience!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22130 - 08/24/22 at 15:33:57

https://youtu.be/21sP7orRS3c. Lo-Fi 480

Funkadelic's Maggot Brain

The album opens with a spoken word monologue by band leader George Clinton, which refers to "the maggots in the mind of the universe". According to legend, the 10-minute title track was recorded in one take when Clinton, under the influence of LSD, told guitarist Eddie Hazel to play as if he had been told his mother was dead. Clinton instructed him "to picture that day, what he would feel, how he would make sense of his life, how he would take a measure of everything that was inside him and let it out through his guitar". Though several other musicians performed on the track, Clinton largely faded them out of the final mix so that the focus would be on Hazel's guitar. Hazel utilized fuzz and wah effects, inspired by his idol Jimi Hendrix; Clinton subsequently added delay and other effects in mixdown, saying "I Echoplexed it back on itself three or four times. That gave the whole thing an eerie feel, both in the playing and in the sound effects." Critics have described the solo as "lengthy, mind-melting" and "an emotional apocalypse of sound."

Side one
No.      Title      Writer(s)      Length
1.      "Maggot Brain"      Edward Hazel George Clinton 10:10
2.      "Can You Get to That"      Clinton Ernest Harris 2:45
3.      "Hit It and Quit It" Clinton William Nelson 3:44
4. "You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks" Clinton Clarence, Haskins Nelson, Bernard Worrell 3:29
Side two
No.      Title      Writer(s)      Length
1.      "Super Stupid" Hazel Lucious Ross Nelson Clinton 3:53
2.      "Back in Our Minds" Haskins 2:35
3.      "Wars of Armageddon" Ramon Fulwood Ross Clinton Worrell  9:30

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22131 - 08/24/22 at 16:19:51

Miles Davis "Bootleg Series Vol. 4" Sony Blu-Spec CD2 edition, disc 4

This is the full four nights of material that became the "Miles Davis at the Fillmore" 2 LP set. I've had the two LP set and cd editions since '72 or so and LOVE it. I like these four discs as well, but still love to listen to the original Miles/Teo creation.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22132 - 08/24/22 at 19:57:28

"Miles Espanol--the New Sketches of Spain"
Disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22133 - 08/24/22 at 20:55:05

Duke Ellington "Upsala 1971" Storyville cd

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22134 - 08/24/22 at 22:23:18

My old standby, James McMurtry.

Oh by the way, this isn't his best effort for my taste.
But the song "Canola Fields" is nominated for Song of the Year in the Americana Awards this year.
So it shows that my taste is suspect at best.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22135 - 08/25/22 at 13:02:15

Tania Maria "Intimidade" Blue Note cd

This is a really nice one. I've really been enjoying revisiting Tania's work.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22136 - 08/25/22 at 14:35:31

Johnny Coles "Little Johnny C" Blue Note/Audio Wave XRCD

A great morning disc!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22137 - 08/25/22 at 15:39:51

Listening to this one again. Interesting material... Recorded a year and a half after Johnny Hodges passed. The band was playing interesting arrangements that year and this is an interesting recording which gets better and better as the concert progresses.

Duke Ellington "Upsala 1971" Storyville cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22138 - 08/25/22 at 16:27:26

Betty Carter "I'm Yours, You're Mine" Verve cd

I will never play this one too many times. Betty's last and perhaps her best. . . it's certainly a favorite of mine.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22139 - 08/25/22 at 19:51:09

Disc 6

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22140 - 08/25/22 at 20:40:38

"Flautista! Herbie Mann Plays Afro-Cuban Jazz" recorded live at New York City's Basin Street East in June 1959.  Verve cd. Herbie Mann flute, Carlos "Tato" Valdes percussion,  Valdes, vibraphonist Johnny Rae, bassist Knobby Totah, and percussionists Santos Miranda and Luis Mangual.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #22141 - 08/26/22 at 03:03:47

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22142 - 08/26/22 at 13:49:32

Mario Adnet "Villa Lobos -- Um Olhar Sobre"

This one grows on me. Maucha Adnet is in beautiful voice here.

Followed by

Carmen McRae "Ms Jazz" Groove Merchant/Solid Records Japan cd

Bass – Paul West
Drums – Jimmy Madison
Guitar – Bucky Pizzarelli
Piano – Tom Garvin
Tenor Saxophone – Zoot Sims

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22143 - 08/26/22 at 15:43:00

Paula e Jacques Morelenbaum "Live in Italia" cd

Beautiful!

Followed by

Count Basie "Prime Time" Pablo cd

Some pretty funky electric bass on a few tracks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22144 - 08/26/22 at 16:42:38

Two swinging albums on one cd. 

Cal Tjader "Los Ritmos Calientes" OJC cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22145 - 08/26/22 at 19:26:15

Miles Davis "Miles Smiles" Sony 20bit LP facsimile cd. Of all the versions of this I think this is the one I enjoy listening to most. I don't like SBM as done by Blue Note, but I do really enjoy a lot of the Sony cds using that tech.

Followed by
Immanuel Wright, "Omega" Blue Note cd. This has become a favorite.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22146 - 08/27/22 at 10:27:26

streaming at wkcr.org, or on your dial @ 89.9 fm radio in NYC area. https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/lester-young-charlie-parker-festival...
The Lester Young Charlie Parker annual weekend festival

SATURDAY, AUGUST 27, 2022 - 12:00AM TO MONDAY, AUGUST 29, 2022 - 11:59PM
WKCR is excited to present its annual Lester Young & Charlie Parker festival to run from August 27th to 29th. Beginning Saturday, August 27, WKCR will have a three-day festival dedicated to the music of saxophonists Lester "Prez" Young and Charlie "Bird" Parker. The 27th marks Prez's birthday, and the 29th, is Bird’s. We will play 24 hours of Young on the 27th, 24 hours of Parker on the 29th, and both Young and Parker interchangeably on the 28th. This is the station’s flagship jazz broadcast event of the year and will feature student programmers, alumni, and Schaap archives for a full 72 hours.

Join WKCR in celebrating two individuals who were true pioneers of their music. Tune in to 89.9FM-NY or online at wkcr.org from midnight, Saturday, August 27th until midnight, Tuesday, August 30th for the full 72-hour celebration!

The full festival broadcast schedule is as follows:
August 27th - LY      August 28th      August 29th - CP
12 AM - 3 AM      Phil Schaap Archival      Phil Schaap Archival      Sam Seliger
3 AM - 6 AM      Paul Burkey      Phil Schaap Archival      Schaap Uncut
6 AM - 9 AM      Paul Burkey      Phil Schaap Archival      Schaap Uncut
9 AM - 12 PM      Phil Schaap Archival      Sam Seliger      Stephen Park
12 PM - 3 PM      Sam Seliger      Jacob Grayzel      Matthew Rivera
3 PM - 6 PM      Drew Sirenko      Ale Diaz-Pizarro      Sam Seliger
6 PM - 9 PM      Phil Schaap Traditions in Swing      Sid Gribetz      Schuyler R.
9 PM - 12 AM      Charles Iselin      Two Schaap Interviews      Phil Schaap Archival
August 27: Celebrating Lester Young's Birthday

August 28: Featuring a mix of both musicians

August 29: Celebrating Charlie Parker's Birthday

Phil Schaap Archival Schedule:

8/27:

12AM-3AM: Originally broadcast on 8/31/2019, the Parker/Young festival, In part 3 of 4 of this extended Lester Young celebration, Phil features a thematic potpourri of rare alternate takes from the November 1939 Count Basie Hollywood session, the Martin Block Jam Session, Prez' contributions to the From Spirituals to Swing concerts, solo excerpts from the Jones-Smith, Inc. session and a pair of Billie Holiday tracks.

9AM-12PM: Originally broadcast on 8/12/2013, in preparation for that year's Parker/Young festival, Phil takes an Out to Lunch to dive into “Prez on Aladdin.”

6PM-9PM: Originally broadcast on 8/31/2013, Traditions in Swing, after the annual Parker/Young festival, Phil devotes his Traditions in Swing to more Prez.

8/28:

12AM-1:20AM: Originally broadcast on 7/5/2017, Bird Flight “Lady Be Good,” on this edition of Bird Flight Phil describes the story of the famed "Lady Be Good" recording from Jazz at the Philharmonic, featuring Charlie Parker and Lester Young.

1:20AM-4AM: Originally broadcast on 9/9/2013, Out to Lunch, Phil on Lester Young.
4AM-9:20AM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/2010, from the annual Lester Young and Charlie Parker birthday broadcast.

9:40PM-10PM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/1994, as part of the Lester Young Birthday Broadcast, Phil interviews Mary Young, Lester's widow, on various aspects of their family life.

10PM-11:20PM: Originally broadcast on 8/27/2003, from the archives, an incomplete interview with Lee Young, Lester Young's brother, on the Lester Young Birthday Broadcast. The interview focuses on The President's early 1940s activities.

8/29:

3AM-9AM: Originally broadcast on 8/29/2013, for the 40th anniversary of the Charlie Parker festival, Phil presents a musical biography of Bird.

9:20PM-12AM: Originally broadcast on 8/30/2018, as a follow-up to the annual Birthday Broadcast, Phil presents a Charlie Parker potpourri with recordings not covered on the previous day's marathon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22147 - 08/27/22 at 14:43:18

Clark Terry (featuring Yusef Lateef) "Color Changes" Candid cd 2022

Released yesterday, another excellent reissue from the Candid label. Clark and Yusef, two very distinctive jazz voices, blend very well on this one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22148 - 08/27/22 at 16:01:08

Sheila Jordan "Winter Sunshine" Justintime cd

Great rapport with the crowd, and love how she incorporates new lyrics and pronouncements into the songs.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22149 - 08/27/22 at 18:15:12

https://youtu.be/FCzElCx_LK8 lo fi 480p

Isaac Hayes super Cala fragile list stick psychedelic dosis

SAY WHAT?

What.

lock with ink pen emojis

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 444 445 ... 504
Send Topic Print